Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 2 servings?

This has got to be a mistake. Says the casserole makes two servings but
that would mean 1/2 a pound of ground beef, a whole can of condensed soup
plus all that other stuff per person. And no, I won't be making it. I was
looking for a Doritos casserole to use up some Doritos that I have. My mom
used to make one but there was no cream soup in it.

http://www.food.com/recipe/dorito-casserole-28256

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> This has got to be a mistake. Says the casserole makes two servings but
> that would mean 1/2 a pound of ground beef, a whole can of condensed soup
> plus all that other stuff per person. And no, I won't be making it. I
> was looking for a Doritos casserole to use up some Doritos that I have.
> My mom used to make one but there was no cream soup in it.
>
> http://www.food.com/recipe/dorito-casserole-28256

I think it's kind of tongue in cheek since the calorie count is listed at
close to 2000 calories for one serving.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2013 1:11 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>> This has got to be a mistake. Says the casserole makes two servings
>> but that would mean 1/2 a pound of ground beef, a whole can of
>> condensed soup plus all that other stuff per person. And no, I won't
>> be making it. I was looking for a Doritos casserole to use up some
>> Doritos that I have. My mom used to make one but there was no cream
>> soup in it.
>>
>> http://www.food.com/recipe/dorito-casserole-28256
>>

> I think it's kind of tongue in cheek since the calorie count is listed
> at close to 2000 calories for one serving.
>
> Cheri

I hope it's well balanced because I'd only be having part of that
serving and nothing else for the entire day. lol

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 29, 2013 9:28:11 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:

> This has got to be a mistake. Says the casserole makes two servings but
> that would mean 1/2 a pound of ground beef, a whole can of condensed soup
> plus all that other stuff per person. And no, I won't be making it. I was
> looking for a Doritos casserole to use up some Doritos that I have. My mom
> used to make one but there was no cream soup in it.
>

> http://www.food.com/recipe/dorito-casserole-28256

This one -- 1 lb gr beef, ONE can soup -- feeds four:

http://www.food.com/recipe/dorito-casserole-104305
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> This has got to be a mistake. Says the casserole makes two servings
>> but that would mean 1/2 a pound of ground beef, a whole can of
>> condensed soup plus all that other stuff per person. And no, I
>> won't be making it. I was looking for a Doritos casserole to use up
>> some Doritos that I have. My mom used to make one but there was no
>> cream soup in it. http://www.food.com/recipe/dorito-casserole-28256
>>

> I think it's kind of tongue in cheek since the calorie count is
> listed at close to 2000 calories for one serving.

That wouldn't be out of line for some recipes but it would be a heck of a
lot of food!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Monday, July 29, 2013 9:28:11 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> This has got to be a mistake. Says the casserole makes two servings
>> but that would mean 1/2 a pound of ground beef, a whole can of
>> condensed soup plus all that other stuff per person. And no, I
>> won't be making it. I was looking for a Doritos casserole to use up
>> some Doritos that I have. My mom used to make one but there was no
>> cream soup in it.

http://www.food.com/recipe/dorito-casserole-28256

> This one -- 1 lb gr beef, ONE can soup -- feeds four:
>
> http://www.food.com/recipe/dorito-casserole-104305

Hmmm... I still can't find the original recipe. I actually think that I
had it but the notebook that it was in has disappeared. I called my mom and
she swears that it was for Fritos and not Doritos because they hadn't been
made yet when she made the casserole. She said she remembered cooking onion
with the ground beef and there was cheese in it but no tomato. I think the
name of that recipe was Taco casserole. I just remember that we all liked
it a lot. And there was no soup in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 21:28:11 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> This has got to be a mistake. Says the casserole makes two servings
>> but that would mean 1/2 a pound of ground beef, a whole can of
>> condensed soup plus all that other stuff per person. And no, I
>> won't be making it. I was looking for a Doritos casserole to use up
>> some Doritos that I have. My mom used to make one but there was no
>> cream soup in it.
>>
>> http://www.food.com/recipe/dorito-casserole-28256

> So somebody overestimated the number of servings. Big Deal.
>
> What's more important is that as a whole it's the epitome of a White
> Trash Recipe written and made by morons with no culinary sense.
>
> The ground beef wasn't drained of fat, it includes all the taboo
> ingredients of a classic pile of slop, and there is no such thing as
> "plain Doritos" (which are just going to turn to mush in here anyway).
>
> It is literally a PILE OF SLOP. How are you even supposed to "serve"
> it? Wait till Bryan gets wind of this one.

I have no clue. I wouldn't make or serve it. This one looks a lot more
like what I am looking for. Although my mom claims there was no tomato in
hers and she wouldn't have put it in. I think there was but I don't think
it would have been salsa because I don't recall having any jarred salsa back
in the 1960's. Anyway... Here's the link.

http://www.food.com/recipe/fantastic...sserole-155186

My version won't be exact. I don't use packets of taco seasoning. Don't
usually buy sliced olives either. I will make two smaller ones. One with
cheese and one without. That ought to use up some of those Doritos.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> This one looks a lot more
> like what I am looking for. Although my mom claims there was no tomato in
> hers and she wouldn't have put it in. I think there was but I don't think
> it would have been salsa because I don't recall having any jarred salsa back
> in the 1960's. Anyway... Here's the link.
>
> http://www.food.com/recipe/fantastic...sserole-155186
>
> My version won't be exact. I don't use packets of taco seasoning. Don't
> usually buy sliced olives either. I will make two smaller ones. One with
> cheese and one without. That ought to use up some of those Doritos.

Nothing wrong with those little packets of taco seasoning.

This recipe sounds good to me with one exception... rather than crush the
chips and mix in, I would leave them out of the recipe. I would use the
casserole as a good dip using the whole doritoes or chips to scoop out each
bite.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> This one looks a lot more
>> like what I am looking for. Although my mom claims there was no tomato
>> in
>> hers and she wouldn't have put it in. I think there was but I don't
>> think
>> it would have been salsa because I don't recall having any jarred salsa
>> back
>> in the 1960's. Anyway... Here's the link.
>>
>> http://www.food.com/recipe/fantastic...sserole-155186
>>
>> My version won't be exact. I don't use packets of taco seasoning. Don't
>> usually buy sliced olives either. I will make two smaller ones. One
>> with
>> cheese and one without. That ought to use up some of those Doritos.

> Nothing wrong with those little packets of taco seasoning.

They usually contain stuff that I don't want. Like added carbs.

> This recipe sounds good to me with one exception... rather than crush the
> chips and mix in, I would leave them out of the recipe. I would use the
> casserole as a good dip using the whole doritoes or chips to scoop out
> each
> bite.

That would work too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 22:11:13 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> This has got to be a mistake. Says the casserole makes two servings but
>> that would mean 1/2 a pound of ground beef, a whole can of condensed soup
>> plus all that other stuff per person. And no, I won't be making it. I
>> was looking for a Doritos casserole to use up some Doritos that I have.
>> My mom used to make one but there was no cream soup in it.
>>
>> http://www.food.com/recipe/dorito-casserole-28256
>>

>I think it's kind of tongue in cheek since the calorie count is listed at
>close to 2000 calories for one serving.
>
>Cheri

It's easy to cut those calories in half by halving and/or omiting
those fat laden ingredients (I'd cut the cheese way down or omit it
entirely, one can of soup is already too much, and the chips I can do
without)... I have no problem with a 1/2 lb ground beef being one
serving... I grind my own using lean meat and use 12 ounces for one
burger. A chili type dish is easy to defat, fat rises, skim it off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> It is literally a PILE OF SLOP.

Sorta like yer life?

Squirty Wertz:
http://www.yelp.com/user_details?use...qvcdFuU1dR8bgA

Steve "Rockin the Boat" W.'s Profile

Location
Austin, TX

Yelping Since
September 2008

Find Me In
Clothes, usually

My Hometown
Santa Cruz, CA and Pittsburgh, PA

My Blog Or Website
http://www.flickr.com/ph…

My Second Favorite Website
http://IMDB.com: one of the first really useful sites on the Internet.

The Last Great Book I Read
Grapes of Wrath (I was a late Steinbeck devotee)

My First Concert
Rush - Moving PIctures (Twice, SF and Pittsburgh)

My Last Meal On Earth
I'd rather spend that hour raping and pillaging

Don't Tell Anyone Else But...
I'd rather be posting to Usenet

Most Recent Discovery
I'm getting older

Current Crush
Grape

Shell Gas Station
Categories: Gas & Service Stations, Convenience Stores
Neighborhoods: 78704 (South Austin), South Lamar District
12/17/2012 First to Review
I went in to buy cigarettes as I do twice a week for the last 6 months
and was given "short" cigarettes instead of the longer 100's style. I
was halfway out the door when I realized the mistake. The door hadn't
even had time to close behind me when I went back in to get the right
cigarettes. Had to wait behind a few other people at the cash
register but when I got there he said they have a policy that once you
leave the store you cannot return or exchange anything. I told him
the door never even closed behind me so technically I never left the
store. And more importantly you gave me the wrong cigarettes. It was
a simple exchange.

He said "No, you asked for 'Short' cigarettes", which was total BS as
I told him, "I do this twice a week, and you give me the correct
cigarettes every other time. The word "shorts" is not even in my
vocabulary." He still insisted those are what I asked for. Rather
than providing the simplest customer service he chose to argue with me
and insist I said something that I didn't. He refused to exchange the
cigarettes for the ones I originally asked for.

This is the same Shell station where a woman accused the store clerk
(Amirali Noorji Maknojia, age 44) of sexually assaulting her in the
bathroom back on March 4th, 2008 (story available in
http://Statesmen.com archives, author Tony Plohetski). While I didn't
exactly get raped in the sexual sense, I'm still amazed at the
treatment. It's clear that their pig-headed customer service still
has a quite a ways to go if hey can't even provide the most basic
customer service for regular customers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2013 3:58 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 21:28:11 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> This has got to be a mistake. Says the casserole makes two servings but
>> that would mean 1/2 a pound of ground beef, a whole can of condensed soup
>> plus all that other stuff per person. And no, I won't be making it. I was
>> looking for a Doritos casserole to use up some Doritos that I have. My mom
>> used to make one but there was no cream soup in it.
>>
>> http://www.food.com/recipe/dorito-casserole-28256

> So somebody overestimated the number of servings. Big Deal.
>
> What's more important is that as a whole it's the epitome of a White
> Trash Recipe written and made by morons with no culinary sense.
>
> The ground beef wasn't drained of fat, it includes all the taboo
> ingredients of a classic pile of slop, and there is no such thing as
> "plain Doritos" (which are just going to turn to mush in here anyway).

I suppose it's assumed the person knows to drain the cooked beef.

They do make plain Doritos:

http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/d...sted-corn.html

Caveat, I haven't seen plain Doritos on store shelves in decades. I see
lots of other types of plain corn tortilla type chips, though.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> This one looks a lot more
> >> like what I am looking for. Although my mom claims there was no tomato
> >> in
> >> hers and she wouldn't have put it in. I think there was but I don't
> >> think
> >> it would have been salsa because I don't recall having any jarred salsa
> >> back
> >> in the 1960's. Anyway... Here's the link.
> >>
> >> http://www.food.com/recipe/fantastic...sserole-155186
> >>
> >> My version won't be exact. I don't use packets of taco seasoning. Don't
> >> usually buy sliced olives either. I will make two smaller ones. One
> >> with
> >> cheese and one without. That ought to use up some of those Doritos.

> > Nothing wrong with those little packets of taco seasoning.

> They usually contain stuff that I don't want. Like added carbs.

I don't think added carbs are an issue with those seasoning packs, Julie. I
have one here that I"m looking at.

One package (good for 1 pound ground beef plus other ingredients) contains
90 calories, 18 grams of carbs. That doesn't sound like much to me for a
large meal that would feed 2-4.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2013 3:05 PM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Nothing wrong with those little packets of taco seasoning.

>> They usually contain stuff that I don't want. Like added carbs.

> I don't think added carbs are an issue with those seasoning packs, Julie. I
> have one here that I"m looking at.
>
> One package (good for 1 pound ground beef plus other ingredients) contains
> 90 calories, 18 grams of carbs. That doesn't sound like much to me for a
> large meal that would feed 2-4.
>
> G.

The Doritos corn chips would add more carbs. My concern about those
packets is salt. And I'm not even afraid of salt. I just think
there's a too higher salt-to-seasonings ratio in those packets than is
necessary. The packets don't taste good to me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> The Doritos corn chips would add more carbs. My concern about those
> packets is salt. And I'm not even afraid of salt. I just think
> there's a too higher salt-to-seasonings ratio in those packets than is
> necessary.

You are correct there, Jill. Looking at this same spice pack (Old El Paso),
the sodium is very high. 2220 mg for the entire package, then reduced
depending on how many serving you get out of it.

I use them though, just not very often.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:

>> > Nothing wrong with those little packets of taco seasoning.

>> They usually contain stuff that I don't want. Like added carbs.

> I don't think added carbs are an issue with those seasoning packs, Julie.
> have one here that I"m looking at.
>
> One package (good for 1 pound ground beef plus other ingredients) contains
> 90 calories, 18 grams of carbs. That doesn't sound like much to me for a
> large meal that would feed 2-4.

That is enough carbs to count when you're a diabetic. I just add my own
spices or buy a seasoning mix that doesn't have carbs in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/30/2013 3:05 PM, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> They usually contain stuff that I don't want. Like added carbs.

>> I don't think added carbs are an issue with those seasoning packs, Julie.
>> have one here that I"m looking at.
>>
>> One package (good for 1 pound ground beef plus other ingredients)
>> contains
>> 90 calories, 18 grams of carbs. That doesn't sound like much to me for a
>> large meal that would feed 2-4.
>>
>> G.
>>

> The Doritos corn chips would add more carbs. My concern about those
> packets is salt. And I'm not even afraid of salt. I just think
> there's a too higher salt-to-seasonings ratio in those packets than is
> necessary. The packets don't taste good to me.

Yes, the Doritos have carbs. As for the packets, perhaps I am prejudiced.
I grew up eating things from packets and I didn't like them. For instance,
my mom always made her spaghetti sauce from a packet. The end result was
watery with some slightly more solid lumps in there. Not good! The taco
meat that she made was also very watery. She once had me make it from the
packet and I realized that she wasn't cooking it down enough. I think the
theory of the taco seasoning packet is that it makes sort of a thickish
sauce with the meat. But when you get a taco in a Mexican restaurant, the
meat is not like that at all. I just add lots of chili powder. Tastes
better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/30/2013 3:58 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 21:28:11 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> This has got to be a mistake. Says the casserole makes two servings but
>>> that would mean 1/2 a pound of ground beef, a whole can of condensed
>>> soup
>>> plus all that other stuff per person. And no, I won't be making it. I
>>> was
>>> looking for a Doritos casserole to use up some Doritos that I have. My
>>> mom
>>> used to make one but there was no cream soup in it.
>>>
>>> http://www.food.com/recipe/dorito-casserole-28256

>> So somebody overestimated the number of servings. Big Deal.
>>
>> What's more important is that as a whole it's the epitome of a White
>> Trash Recipe written and made by morons with no culinary sense.
>>
>> The ground beef wasn't drained of fat, it includes all the taboo
>> ingredients of a classic pile of slop, and there is no such thing as
>> "plain Doritos" (which are just going to turn to mush in here anyway).
>>

> I suppose it's assumed the person knows to drain the cooked beef.
>
> They do make plain Doritos:
>
> http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/d...sted-corn.html
>
> Caveat, I haven't seen plain Doritos on store shelves in decades. I see
> lots of other types of plain corn tortilla type chips, though.

Yes. Plain is the only kind I'll eat. And part of the reason why I have
these left is that Angela tasted one, said it was too salty and wouldn't eat
them. She has had them before but I guess her taste buds have changed. Not
all stores carry the plain ones. Our Target doesn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2013 6:00 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Yes, the Doritos have carbs. As for the packets, perhaps I am prejudiced.
> I grew up eating things from packets and I didn't like them. For instance,
> my mom always made her spaghetti sauce from a packet. The end result was
> watery with some slightly more solid lumps in there. Not good! The taco
> meat that she made was also very watery. She once had me make it from the
> packet and I realized that she wasn't cooking it down enough. I think the
> theory of the taco seasoning packet is that it makes sort of a thickish
> sauce with the meat. But when you get a taco in a Mexican restaurant, the
> meat is not like that at all. I just add lots of chili powder. Tastes
> better.

As for the sauce, she might have been trying to stretch it. Very common
when trying to stay on a budget.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 7/30/2013 6:00 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Yes, the Doritos have carbs. As for the packets, perhaps I am
>> prejudiced.
>> I grew up eating things from packets and I didn't like them. For
>> instance,
>> my mom always made her spaghetti sauce from a packet. The end result was
>> watery with some slightly more solid lumps in there. Not good! The taco
>> meat that she made was also very watery. She once had me make it from
>> the
>> packet and I realized that she wasn't cooking it down enough. I think
>> the
>> theory of the taco seasoning packet is that it makes sort of a thickish
>> sauce with the meat. But when you get a taco in a Mexican restaurant,
>> the
>> meat is not like that at all. I just add lots of chili powder. Tastes
>> better.

> As for the sauce, she might have been trying to stretch it. Very common
> when trying to stay on a budget.

No. She just had no interest in cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 10:53:00 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>>>.. there is no such thing as "plain Doritos"

>> They do make plain Doritos:
>>
>> http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/d...sted-corn.html
>>
>> Caveat, I haven't seen plain Doritos on store shelves in decades. I see
>> lots of other types of plain corn tortilla type chips, though.

> I knew plain Doritos existed at one time or another. But I wonder
> where they might be sold these days. The "Frito Lay" brand comes with
> a premium markup. If anything, I suspect they may be sold in Montana
> and North Dakota. Anybody from there can verify? <snork>.
>
> As an aside, you would never believe who sells more tortilla chips
> than anyone else in the United States:
>
> Tyson Foods
> (Yes, the chicken people)

They are sold here. They are toasted corn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> If anything, I suspect they may be sold in Montana
> and North Dakota. Anybody from there can verify? <snork>.

Why don't you take you shitheeled self up there and ask around, nic-addict.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> They are sold here. They are toasted corn.

> I don't believe you.

Not takin' a pic so I can show you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> >> They are sold here. They are toasted corn.

> > I don't believe you.

> Not takin' a pic so I can show you.

Plain Dorito's are for some reason oddly distributed. For years they
were may dad's favorite chip then one day they just disappeared. Only
nacho cheese and cool ranch and other flavors were to be found.

Then one day he was reading consumer reports or some such and they
reviewed plain old tortilla chips and rated plain Dorito's highest. Wait
a minute, when did they come back? Turns out they had never left
exactly, but for whatever reason they weren't selling the plain ones in
California where we lived.

Now we can get them here in CA. Sounds like there are still places where
the plain ones aren't being sold. Wonder why?

No need to take a picture, here's a link to the company site:

http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/d...sted-corn.html

You can actually search by product and then by your zip code and see if
they're sold near you.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie, I don't know what the recipe is, but "Frito Pie" is popular in some parts of the south/southwest US.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

>Julie, I don't know what the recipe is, but "Frito Pie" is
>popular in some parts of the south/southwest US.

Yeah, in border towns Frito Pie has explicit sexual innuendo!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Marcella Peek" > wrote in message
> In article >,

>> > I don't believe you.

>> Not takin' a pic so I can show you.

> Plain Dorito's are for some reason oddly distributed. For years they
> were may dad's favorite chip then one day they just disappeared. Only
> nacho cheese and cool ranch and other flavors were to be found.
>
> Then one day he was reading consumer reports or some such and they
> reviewed plain old tortilla chips and rated plain Dorito's highest. Wait
> a minute, when did they come back? Turns out they had never left
> exactly, but for whatever reason they weren't selling the plain ones in
> California where we lived.
>
> Now we can get them here in CA. Sounds like there are still places where
> the plain ones aren't being sold. Wonder why?
>
> No need to take a picture, here's a link to the company site:
>
> http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/d...sted-corn.html
>
> You can actually search by product and then by your zip code and see if
> they're sold near you.

Interesting! Our Target doesn't sell them and I don't think Walmart does
either but all of the grocery stores do. I do have to check the dates on
them though. At Winco it seems they are almost always about to expire.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Julie, I don't know what the recipe is, but "Frito Pie" is popular in some
> parts of the south/southwest US.

I know what it is. It's just chili dumped over Fritos. Probably add stuff
like cheese for topping. It's not a casserole. The original idea was to
eat it out of the foil bag that the Fritos come in. You could apparently
walk around and eat it. It was sold at ball games and such. These days
Fritos are in a plastic bag so that won't work. I guess you have to put it
in a bowl or something now. This casserole isn't quite the same thing.

How many servings from a ham? zxcvbob General Cooking 47 30-04-2014 03:08 AM
servings per Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 6 22-02-2013 10:13 PM
who wanted individual servings? sf[_9_] General Cooking 1 24-12-2012 08:38 AM
Single Servings Mr. Bill[_2_] General Cooking 9 17-06-2010 02:17 AM
Loose leaf tea servings Linda Tea 13 05-02-2006 05:00 PM