Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pots and pans.

I just ordered a metal, deep lasagna pan. Thank you Sheldon for the link!
I did not get the one you posted at Amazon but the deeper one at OSP/Brylane
Home. The link for it showed below but when I tried to order it, the link
was no longer valid. I did however track it down and I also ordered this:

http://www.brylanehome.com/decor/4Ot...3&StyleNo=0385

So I should be set for a while at least with pots and pans. But... It
occurred to me just now that I rarely use any of my smaller pans any more.
I guess my microwave has replaced those things! Used to be if I needed to
reheat a leftover, I would use the oven or the top of the stove. Now I
rarely reheat leftovers this way. Perhaps soup because if done in the
microwave, the container I use gets too hot.

I do have a large Revereware Dutch Oven but they do not make Revereware like
they used to. Hopefully this will work better. Mostly I use my two
Circulon pans, one being like a deep skillet and the other more of a rounded
shape but still like a skillet, my Rachael Ray pasta pot or my old
Revereware pan that I pop popcorn in. I tend to use that for other things
too. Rice, heating a can of soup, etc. I think I have only pulled out my
smaller pans maybe a few times since I moved here.

Do you find that you use your pans less now, if you have a microwave? I
realize that not all people here do have them. My mom doesn't cook a lot
but when she does, she seems to use a lot of pans. Perhaps more than I
would if I were to make the same meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/13 7:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I just ordered a metal, deep lasagna pan. Thank you Sheldon for the link!
> I did not get the one you posted at Amazon but the deeper one at OSP/Brylane
> Home. The link for it showed below but when I tried to order it, the link
> was no longer valid. I did however track it down and I also ordered this:
>
> http://www.brylanehome.com/decor/4Ot...3&StyleNo=0385
>
> So I should be set for a while at least with pots and pans. But... It
> occurred to me just now that I rarely use any of my smaller pans any more.
> I guess my microwave has replaced those things! Used to be if I needed to
> reheat a leftover, I would use the oven or the top of the stove. Now I
> rarely reheat leftovers this way. Perhaps soup because if done in the
> microwave, the container I use gets too hot.
>
> I do have a large Revereware Dutch Oven but they do not make Revereware like
> they used to. Hopefully this will work better. Mostly I use my two
> Circulon pans, one being like a deep skillet and the other more of a rounded
> shape but still like a skillet, my Rachael Ray pasta pot or my old
> Revereware pan that I pop popcorn in. I tend to use that for other things
> too. Rice, heating a can of soup, etc. I think I have only pulled out my
> smaller pans maybe a few times since I moved here.
>
> Do you find that you use your pans less now, if you have a microwave? I
> realize that not all people here do have them. My mom doesn't cook a lot
> but when she does, she seems to use a lot of pans. Perhaps more than I
> would if I were to make the same meal.

I've got lots of expensive pans I haven't used for years. A cheap 1-qt
Revere pan and a cheap iron skillet with a silicone cover (fries and
bakes) would handle almost everything. (I've even melted the copper on
the pan, but when I've overheated it, a couple of hammer taps will get
it to sit flat.) If I overheat the skillet, I can season it with
linseed oil. When my microwave failed, I decided I was better off
without one.

Now my cheap 6-qt aluminum pressure cooker has become my favorite.
Because it can take advantage of a full-size burner and the aluminum
spreads the heat well, it will heat a given amount of food faster than
most pans, with no stirring. The pressure ensures that everything gets
hot and minimizes the heat and humidity in the kitchen. For some
purposes there's no need to come up to full temperature. It's light and
easy to clean.

Unlike a microwave, my pans don't have timers. For that, I have a
digital beeper on the side of the refrigerator.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2013 5:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I just ordered a metal, deep lasagna pan. Thank you Sheldon for the link!
> I did not get the one you posted at Amazon but the deeper one at OSP/Brylane
> Home. The link for it showed below but when I tried to order it, the link
> was no longer valid. I did however track it down and I also ordered this:
>
> http://www.brylanehome.com/decor/4Ot...3&StyleNo=0385
>
> So I should be set for a while at least with pots and pans. But... It
> occurred to me just now that I rarely use any of my smaller pans any more.
> I guess my microwave has replaced those things! Used to be if I needed to
> reheat a leftover, I would use the oven or the top of the stove. Now I
> rarely reheat leftovers this way. Perhaps soup because if done in the
> microwave, the container I use gets too hot.
>
> I do have a large Revereware Dutch Oven but they do not make Revereware like
> they used to. Hopefully this will work better. Mostly I use my two
> Circulon pans, one being like a deep skillet and the other more of a rounded
> shape but still like a skillet, my Rachael Ray pasta pot or my old
> Revereware pan that I pop popcorn in. I tend to use that for other things
> too. Rice, heating a can of soup, etc. I think I have only pulled out my
> smaller pans maybe a few times since I moved here.
>
> Do you find that you use your pans less now, if you have a microwave? I
> realize that not all people here do have them. My mom doesn't cook a lot
> but when she does, she seems to use a lot of pans. Perhaps more than I
> would if I were to make the same meal.

That's a wonderful Dutch oven, good buying call.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

>On 7/25/2013 5:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I just ordered a metal, deep lasagna pan. Thank you Sheldon for the link!
>> I did not get the one you posted at Amazon but the deeper one at OSP/Brylane
>> Home. The link for it showed below but when I tried to order it, the link
>> was no longer valid. I did however track it down and I also ordered this:

http://www.brylanehome.com/decor/4Ot...3&StyleNo=0385

>> So I should be set for a while at least with pots and pans. But... It
>> occurred to me just now that I rarely use any of my smaller pans any more.
>> I guess my microwave has replaced those things! Used to be if I needed to
>> reheat a leftover, I would use the oven or the top of the stove. Now I
>> rarely reheat leftovers this way. Perhaps soup because if done in the
>> microwave, the container I use gets too hot.
>>
>> I do have a large Revereware Dutch Oven but they do not make Revereware like
>> they used to. Hopefully this will work better. Mostly I use my two
>> Circulon pans, one being like a deep skillet and the other more of a rounded
>> shape but still like a skillet, my Rachael Ray pasta pot or my old
>> Revereware pan that I pop popcorn in. I tend to use that for other things
>> too. Rice, heating a can of soup, etc. I think I have only pulled out my
>> smaller pans maybe a few times since I moved here.
>>
>> Do you find that you use your pans less now, if you have a microwave? I
>> realize that not all people here do have them. My mom doesn't cook a lot
>> but when she does, she seems to use a lot of pans. Perhaps more than I
>> would if I were to make the same meal.
>>

>That's a wonderful Dutch oven, good buying call.

Hi

--

GIT-R-DONE !

In article >,
says...

"you are the ones who are responsible for the way me and others are
assholes"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/13 7:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I do have a large Revereware Dutch Oven but they do not make Revereware like
> they used to....

More like they never did. Revereware has always been cheap, thin steel.
I still have a box of my mom's Revereware pots and pans from the 1950's...

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 16:15:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I just ordered a metal, deep lasagna pan. Thank you Sheldon for the link!
>I did not get the one you posted at Amazon but the deeper one at OSP/Brylane
>Home. The link for it showed below but when I tried to order it, the link
>was no longer valid. I did however track it down and I also ordered this:
>
>http://www.brylanehome.com/decor/4Ot...3&StyleNo=0385
>
>So I should be set for a while at least with pots and pans. But... It
>occurred to me just now that I rarely use any of my smaller pans any more.
>I guess my microwave has replaced those things! Used to be if I needed to
>reheat a leftover, I would use the oven or the top of the stove. Now I
>rarely reheat leftovers this way. Perhaps soup because if done in the
>microwave, the container I use gets too hot.
>
>I do have a large Revereware Dutch Oven but they do not make Revereware like
>they used to. Hopefully this will work better. Mostly I use my two
>Circulon pans, one being like a deep skillet and the other more of a rounded
>shape but still like a skillet, my Rachael Ray pasta pot or my old
>Revereware pan that I pop popcorn in. I tend to use that for other things
>too. Rice, heating a can of soup, etc. I think I have only pulled out my
>smaller pans maybe a few times since I moved here.
>
>Do you find that you use your pans less now, if you have a microwave? I
>realize that not all people here do have them. My mom doesn't cook a lot
>but when she does, she seems to use a lot of pans. Perhaps more than I
>would if I were to make the same meal.

I have a microwave, and it is used mainly for the following:

- making oatmeal for breakfast
- re-heating leftovers
- defrosting meat

My set of pots has a steamer, and I use that just about every day.
It's quite big, so I can put in 3-4 different types of vegetables to
steam at the same time.

I use my smallest pans for boiled eggs. I boil eggs at least three
times a week. Also, my husband will warm up soup in the small pan.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"j Burns" > wrote in message
> On 7/25/13 7:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I just ordered a metal, deep lasagna pan. Thank you Sheldon for the
>> link!
>> I did not get the one you posted at Amazon but the deeper one at
>> OSP/Brylane
>> Home. The link for it showed below but when I tried to order it, the
>> link
>> was no longer valid. I did however track it down and I also ordered
>> this:
>>
>> http://www.brylanehome.com/decor/4Ot...3&StyleNo=0385
>>
>> So I should be set for a while at least with pots and pans. But... It
>> occurred to me just now that I rarely use any of my smaller pans any
>> more.
>> I guess my microwave has replaced those things! Used to be if I needed
>> reheat a leftover, I would use the oven or the top of the stove. Now I
>> rarely reheat leftovers this way. Perhaps soup because if done in the
>> microwave, the container I use gets too hot.
>>
>> I do have a large Revereware Dutch Oven but they do not make Revereware
>> like
>> they used to. Hopefully this will work better. Mostly I use my two
>> Circulon pans, one being like a deep skillet and the other more of a
>> rounded
>> shape but still like a skillet, my Rachael Ray pasta pot or my old
>> Revereware pan that I pop popcorn in. I tend to use that for other
>> things
>> too. Rice, heating a can of soup, etc. I think I have only pulled out
>> my
>> smaller pans maybe a few times since I moved here.
>>
>> Do you find that you use your pans less now, if you have a microwave? I
>> realize that not all people here do have them. My mom doesn't cook a lot
>> but when she does, she seems to use a lot of pans. Perhaps more than I
>> would if I were to make the same meal.
>>

> I've got lots of expensive pans I haven't used for years. A cheap 1-qt
> Revere pan and a cheap iron skillet with a silicone cover (fries and
> bakes) would handle almost everything. (I've even melted the copper on
> the pan, but when I've overheated it, a couple of hammer taps will get it
> to sit flat.) If I overheat the skillet, I can season it with linseed
> oil. When my microwave failed, I decided I was better off without one.
>
> Now my cheap 6-qt aluminum pressure cooker has become my favorite. Because
> it can take advantage of a full-size burner and the aluminum spreads the
> heat well, it will heat a given amount of food faster than most pans, with
> no stirring. The pressure ensures that everything gets hot and minimizes
> the heat and humidity in the kitchen. For some purposes there's no need
> to come up to full temperature. It's light and easy to clean.
>
> Unlike a microwave, my pans don't have timers. For that, I have a digital
> beeper on the side of the refrigerator.

Hmmm... They were showing a pressure cooker on HSN the other day. It did
look tempting but I'm just not sure I would get enough use out of it to
justify the space it would take up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa bona" > wrote in message
> On 7/25/2013 5:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I just ordered a metal, deep lasagna pan. Thank you Sheldon for the
>> link!
>> I did not get the one you posted at Amazon but the deeper one at
>> OSP/Brylane
>> Home. The link for it showed below but when I tried to order it, the
>> link
>> was no longer valid. I did however track it down and I also ordered
>> this:
>>
>> http://www.brylanehome.com/decor/4Ot...3&StyleNo=0385
>>
>> So I should be set for a while at least with pots and pans. But... It
>> occurred to me just now that I rarely use any of my smaller pans any
>> more.
>> I guess my microwave has replaced those things! Used to be if I needed
>> reheat a leftover, I would use the oven or the top of the stove. Now I
>> rarely reheat leftovers this way. Perhaps soup because if done in the
>> microwave, the container I use gets too hot.
>>
>> I do have a large Revereware Dutch Oven but they do not make Revereware
>> like
>> they used to. Hopefully this will work better. Mostly I use my two
>> Circulon pans, one being like a deep skillet and the other more of a
>> rounded
>> shape but still like a skillet, my Rachael Ray pasta pot or my old
>> Revereware pan that I pop popcorn in. I tend to use that for other
>> things
>> too. Rice, heating a can of soup, etc. I think I have only pulled out
>> my
>> smaller pans maybe a few times since I moved here.
>>
>> Do you find that you use your pans less now, if you have a microwave? I
>> realize that not all people here do have them. My mom doesn't cook a lot
>> but when she does, she seems to use a lot of pans. Perhaps more than I
>> would if I were to make the same meal.
>>

> That's a wonderful Dutch oven, good buying call.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 21:48:22 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

> On 7/25/13 7:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > I do have a large Revereware Dutch Oven but they do not make Revereware like
> > they used to....

> More like they never did. Revereware has always been cheap, thin steel.
> I still have a box of my mom's Revereware pots and pans from the 1950's...

I hated my mother's Revereware too and am always mystified when it's
discussed as if it's something wonderful. Her Revereware is 100% of
the reason why I came to so late the modern ss party.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Two words

Le Creuset

Can't go wrong.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I just ordered a metal, deep lasagna pan. Thank you Sheldon for the link!
>I did not get the one you posted at Amazon but the deeper one at
>OSP/Brylane Home. The link for it showed below but when I tried to order
>it, the link was no longer valid. I did however track it down and I also
>ordered this:
>
> http://www.brylanehome.com/decor/4Ot...3&StyleNo=0385
>
> So I should be set for a while at least with pots and pans. But... It
> occurred to me just now that I rarely use any of my smaller pans any more.
> I guess my microwave has replaced those things! Used to be if I needed to
> reheat a leftover, I would use the oven or the top of the stove. Now I
> rarely reheat leftovers this way. Perhaps soup because if done in the
> microwave, the container I use gets too hot.
>
> I do have a large Revereware Dutch Oven but they do not make Revereware
> like they used to. Hopefully this will work better. Mostly I use my two
> Circulon pans, one being like a deep skillet and the other more of a
> rounded shape but still like a skillet, my Rachael Ray pasta pot or my old
> Revereware pan that I pop popcorn in. I tend to use that for other things
> too. Rice, heating a can of soup, etc. I think I have only pulled out my
> smaller pans maybe a few times since I moved here.
>
> Do you find that you use your pans less now, if you have a microwave? I
> realize that not all people here do have them. My mom doesn't cook a lot
> but when she does, she seems to use a lot of pans. Perhaps more than I
> would if I were to make the same meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> Two words
>
> Le Creuset
>
> Can't go wrong.

Too expensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> Two words
>>
>> Le Creuset
>>
>> Can't go wrong.

> Too expensive.

Not hardly. And they last forever. Probably the last really good cookware
you can buy. You can get them a lot cheaper online.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>> Two words
>>>
>>> Le Creuset
>>>
>>> Can't go wrong.

>> Too expensive.

> Not hardly. And they last forever. Probably the last really good
> cookware you can buy. You can get them a lot cheaper online.

I did look but saw nothing of the size I need in my price range. Would have
to pay over $100 for that and don't see any deals. Plus to get that size,
it would likely be super heavy. I used to have two pieces. One was a tiny
skillet. Never really used that. The other was a casserole for one and I
think I did get rid of that. Neither was a color I would have chosen.
Orange. They were a present from an ex. I did love the casserole when I
was single and took it to work a lot. People always wanted to see what I
put in it. One thing was a doctored frozen burrito. Bean and cheese.
Those were hard to find. I won't eat TVP and most frozen burritos contain
there. I would smother it (sf will just love this) in some kind of tomato
sauce. Sometimes I would buy enchilada sauce, sometimes make it, or if in a
hurry then just canned tomato sauce, canned tomatoes or even a whole mess of
raw tomatoes, perhaps with just a dab of canned tomato sauce. Then strips
of green pepper and white onion and a lot of cheese. Oh my was that good!
And because I added so much stuff to it, it kinda looked like I made it
myself.

Over time, the white inside of the casserole had gray marks on it, probably
from a fork. Just like my ancient Corningware blue flower casserole now
does. I'm sure it was still usable but I have far less use for a single
casserole these days. If could find and afford to get 4-6 of those, I
probably would. I just don't tend to shop at any places that sell the stuff
and never think to look for it online. Would be nice if I could find it
somewhere in like...a deeply discounted discontinued color but I never seem
to.

In the meantime I bought some in a similar shape (but cheap imports) at
Christmas Tree shop but they turned out not to be large enough. Then I
bought some little green ones (I think they are Le Creuset but maybe just a
really good imitation) that are vintage from Ebay. I am a lousy judge of
size and can not tell most of the time by looking at the measurements how
big something will actually be. Which could be why I just bought something
akin to a suitcase for my new purse. It is Laurel Burch and it is Fabric so
it won't be heavy. But still, when I saw the measurements, I assumed it was
about the same size as the extra large bag that I have. Oops! And they did
have a warning that the bags could be larger than we thought they were.
Anyway... These baking dishes turned out to be super flat. Not really sure
what they would be good for except perhaps for baked apples and really when
I do those, I usually do them in a larger dish. I suppose they would be
good for apple dumplings but I haven't made those in years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 22:36:45 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>>Not hardly. And they last forever. Probably the last really good
>>cookware
>>you can buy. You can get them a lot cheaper online.

> Nearly $300 for a 5 quart dutch oven on Amazon??
>
> IF I was 20 years old, maybe.
> I'd HAVE to live 50 more years to make THAT worth buying!!
>
> There are nearly affordable alternatives with great ratings
> there as well, same size for $50, with over 1200 4 and 5 star
> ratings, vs about 200 3 or lower stars.

The funny thing is, when I was 20 years old, I couldn't afford to buy much
of anything. I would imagine many of us were in the same boat. I didn't
even have Reverware then and much of what I had in my kitchen was purchased
at K Mart or Woolworths during the dollar day sales. I had some hideous
soup mugs in bright green, yellow and orange that got a lot of use for
things other than soup! Because I didn't have much more to use. I did
however splurge on things like Airbake cookie sheets, some really good
Springform pans and all kinds of chocolate/candy making and cake decorating
supplies. That was what I was known for in those days. My baking and candy
making. And IMO, you just can't bake good cookies on a $1.00 cookie sheet.
I do have cheap cookie sheets now. I consider them almost disposable. I
mainly use them under things that might drip. Or I cover them with release
foil to bake fries or other things. But I would never bake cookies on them.

I also find that at age 54, even though I can afford to buy some things for
the kitchen, I can't feasibly use them. Such as a lot of cast iron things
because they are just too darned heavy. I had to take back that giant cast
iron casserole that I was gifted. Partly because I had asked for a pasta
pot and had no need for a giant casserole and the gift giver had no clue
that they bought the right thing because they do not cook. Oh... You can't
boil pasta in a casserole? But partly because I couldn't lift the thing
even when empty! When we returned it to the store, it took Angela and I
both to get it out of the van, into the cart and then up onto the service
desk. I can't imagine trying to get something like that in and out of the
oven because it would be even more heavy with food in it! And unwieldy when
hot!

The first time I bought a Circulon pan, I kicked myself all the way until it
came and I first used it. And then I was hooked! But I just couldn't
believe that I had spent so much for one pan. I think it was $54. I grew
up in a house where aside from the Revereware (which I know many here don't
like), we only had cheap stuff in the kitchen. Melamine dishes until I was
a teen or close to being one. My parents lived in fear that we would break
the dishes. Plastic cookie jar. Dime store cookie sheets. Those hideous
non-stick skillets that used to go on sale for maybe $2-3. A rolling pin
that was missing a handle. Never did figure out why it was missing but I
loved to show it to visitors and tell them that my mom hit my dad over the
head with it and knocked in clear off.

No ladle. My mom would use one of the melamine coffee cups to dip up soup
and stew. Then several times over the years she has bought me a ladle for
Christmas or birthday or some such thing. She seems to have had pretty bad
memory loss for quite some time now. Never seems to remember that not only
do I already have plenty of ladles, but she has already bought me some.
Each time she gives one to me, she tells me, "That's one thing I always
wanted. A ladle!" I never did figure that one out. We went to the dime
store all the time and surely they must have sold ladles there! My first
one came with a set of tools that I got a K Mart. 50 cents for the whole
set. In those days we really could get good bargains there. I think the
set originally sold for $3 but for some reason it wound up on the clearance
aisle and I got it on a blue light special. There was a rack for hanging on
the wall, a spoon, ladle, spaghetti server and a pancake turner. Over the
years the rack broke, and the other pieces went the way of the wind, but I
still have that ladle. Then I got flatware as a wedding gift and it came
with a ladle. I have small ladles from the dollar store for sauces and
dressings and the like. And then I have the odd ceramic ladle that came
with the ceramic soup tureen that I was gifted. I am just waiting for the
day that I can use that! I can't imagine when that day might be. Seeing as
how I am the only soup lover in this house and could not be bothered to put
the soup in a tureen to serve myself out of. But... Who in the world
thought that a ceramic ladle would be a good idea? I can just imagine it
getting broken into the soup.

Anyway... I could not believe how much better the quality of my food was in
that Circulon pan and I've since ordered two more. I also bought some Khun
Rikhon boil over stopper lids that were a tad pricey and today I saw that
Collections Etc. now has their version for $9.99. So these days I can
afford to spend more for things in the kitchen. But I do have my limits. I
might possibly spend $300 (might but probably not) for a whole set of pots
and pans. But... I have also discovered over the years that things come in
those sets that I will never or rarely ever use.

So while I can buy some pricier things now than when I could when younger, I
am also more inclined to want to pare down what I have in my kitchen. My
mom just had a garage sale. I was totally shocked at how much kitchen stuff
she had! And finally she had a ladle! Someone gifted her with a set of
tools that hung on the wall. But she had several can openers, many sets of
tongs, several still in the packages, tons of casseroles and mixing bowls,
several sets of dishes. Dozens of vases! I just don't want the day to come
when I am too old and feeble to want to go through all that stuff to get rid
of it. I am paring it down now. I kept one large vase, one medium vase and
one little bud vase. If I ever need anything more than that, I can use
canning jars. Heh! And unless it is a really expensive or hard to find
item, I am getting rid of it now, unless it is something I currently use. I
did keep my Springform pan and my Bundt pan only because when I needed them,
I had a heck of a time finding them. Found Springform pans in one store all
missing the bottoms! I did come close to getting rid of those but after
thinking about it for a minute, decided that perhaps I should keep them for
a while longer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 20:50:34 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 21:48:22 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:
>
>> On 7/25/13 7:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > I do have a large Revereware Dutch Oven but they do not make Revereware like
>> > they used to....

>> More like they never did. Revereware has always been cheap, thin steel.
>> I still have a box of my mom's Revereware pots and pans from the 1950's...
>>

>I hated my mother's Revereware too and am always mystified when it's
>discussed as if it's something wonderful. Her Revereware is 100% of
>the reason why I came to so late the modern ss party.

Going back 40 to 50 years, Reverware and Farberware were two of the
biggest selling brands of cookware. We bought Farberware when we got
married in 1966. The pans were pretty crappy, thin, hard to use
properly. They are long gone. The pots, however, are still in good
condition and are used on a regular basis. You don't need fancy
twelve ply exotic metals to heat up a can of soup or boil potatoes.

While I'd never touch the pans again, the pots are good quality and
have held up well for many years now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 22:36:45 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>>Not hardly. And they last forever. Probably the last really good
>>cookware
>>you can buy. You can get them a lot cheaper online.

> Nearly $300 for a 5 quart dutch oven on Amazon??
>
> IF I was 20 years old, maybe.
> I'd HAVE to live 50 more years to make THAT worth buying!!
>
> There are nearly affordable alternatives with great ratings
> there as well, same size for $50, with over 1200 4 and 5 star
> ratings, vs about 200 3 or lower stars.

I have 3 Le Creuset pieces, 2 soup pots and a Dutch oven, which I paid maybe
300.00 total for and I use them often and they will outlive me so long as I
don't drop them.

Just love them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 20:50:34 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>> More like they never did. Revereware has always been cheap, thin steel.
>>> I still have a box of my mom's Revereware pots and pans from the
>>> 1950's...
>>>

>>I hated my mother's Revereware too and am always mystified when it's
>>discussed as if it's something wonderful. Her Revereware is 100% of
>>the reason why I came to so late the modern ss party.

> Going back 40 to 50 years, Reverware and Farberware were two of the
> biggest selling brands of cookware. We bought Farberware when we got
> married in 1966. The pans were pretty crappy, thin, hard to use
> properly. They are long gone. The pots, however, are still in good
> condition and are used on a regular basis. You don't need fancy
> twelve ply exotic metals to heat up a can of soup or boil potatoes.
>
> While I'd never touch the pans again, the pots are good quality and
> have held up well for many years now.

I don't mind mine at all. I have bought several different odd pans or sets
of pans over the years and hated them all. Granted they weren't expensive
pans. But they did have issues. The enamel ones chipped. And things would
stick in them because they didn't seem to heat evenly. And I had one
non-stick pan that I just never liked. The lid of it fell apart right away
too. Could be why it was on clearance. It had been part of a display set
of discontinued items. I bought it to have an extra pan. Nope. But by far
the worst pan ever was the Visions! I'd gotten my free one when they first
came out with them. Literally everything stuck to that pan. I swear you
could heat a can of green beans and they'd stick.

So I was rather shocked when my mom whipped out an old Visions pan and told
me to make something in it. I can't remember now what it was. Maybe mac
and cheese from a box. I protested much about that but she pulled an
attitude so I tried to proceed. For as much kitchen stuff as she did have,
she didn't have much in the way of usable pots and pans. Another of her
pans that I hated was the lightweight aluminum pasta pot with the draining
insert. I do not like to cook that way and I freaking hated that pan!
Anyway... The Visions pan did not want to come to the boil. We waited next
to forever on it. Then of course the food stuck, just like I said it would
and no amount of scrubbing by her (I refused to do it) would get the food
out. Into the trash it went. I just can't believe she kept it for all
these years. I'm pretty sure those things came out in the late 70's or
early 80's.

Now that I think about it, another useless pot was the As Seen On TV pasta
pot. The one where you were supposed to be able to drain the pasta through
the lid. Totally useless piece of crap. I was gifted with one. Why do all
these ads imply that we have severe trouble cooking and draining our pasta?
Neither pasta nor rice have ever been a problem for me. Well except for
those Soba noodles. But... The first time I tried to use that thing, the
lid stuck on it. I could not remove it, nor could my husband. We even used
tools! All we managed to do was remove the little knob on the lid. And I
couldn't even get the water to drain out! So I had to waste not only the
pan but the pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I also find that at age 54, even though I can afford to buy some things for
> the kitchen, I can't feasibly use them. Such as a lot of cast iron things
> because they are just too darned heavy.

Don't feel bad. I'm a big strong guy and I rarely use my cast iron pans. The
heavy weight annoys me.

I mostly use my large set of Revereware pots and pans. Many people put them
down as cheap and worthless but if you learn to cook with them, they are
great and no problems. I would NEVER consider replacing my Revereware with
other cookware. I have a few other *better* pieces and I rarely use them.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2013 8:28 AM, Gary wrote:

> I mostly use my large set of Revereware pots and pans. Many people put them
> down as cheap and worthless but if you learn to cook with them, they are
> great and no problems. I would NEVER consider replacing my Revereware with
> other cookware. I have a few other *better* pieces and I rarely use them.
>
> G.

I love my Revereware. Maybe what people can buy now is of lesser
quality? Mine are nice sturdy pots. I can't imagine why some people
say they're flimsy. I bought mine around 1980. Mom got hers in the
50's. I've never had any trouble cooking with Revereware.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 26, 2013 10:05:02 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

> I've never had any trouble cooking with Revereware.
>
> Jill

Interesting. I often have trouble cooking no matter what
pots or pans I use.

http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2013 11:10 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> Two words
>>
>> Le Creuset
>>
>> Can't go wrong.

> Too expensive.

Buy once, use for life.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2013 12:40 AM, The Other Guy wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 22:36:45 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>> Not hardly. And they last forever. Probably the last really good cookware
>> you can buy. You can get them a lot cheaper online.

> Nearly $300 for a 5 quart dutch oven on Amazon??
>
> IF I was 20 years old, maybe.
> I'd HAVE to live 50 more years to make THAT worth buying!!
>
> There are nearly affordable alternatives with great ratings
> there as well, same size for $50, with over 1200 4 and 5 star
> ratings, vs about 200 3 or lower stars.
>

> To reply by email, lose the Ks...

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/le-creuset-dutch-oven-new

BRAND NEW LE CREUSET CAST IRON 4.5 QUART ROUND FRENCH DUTCH OVEN
CASSIS NO RESVE
BRAND NEW LE CREUSET CAST IRON 4.5 QUART ROUND FRENCH DUTCH OVEN CASSIS
NO RESVE
8h 13m left
$179.99
0 bids
$235.00
Buy It Now

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2013 4:22 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "The Other Guy" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 22:36:45 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Not hardly. And they last forever. Probably the last really good
>>> cookware
>>> you can buy. You can get them a lot cheaper online.

>> Nearly $300 for a 5 quart dutch oven on Amazon??
>>
>> IF I was 20 years old, maybe.
>> I'd HAVE to live 50 more years to make THAT worth buying!!
>>
>> There are nearly affordable alternatives with great ratings
>> there as well, same size for $50, with over 1200 4 and 5 star
>> ratings, vs about 200 3 or lower stars.

> I have 3 Le Creuset pieces, 2 soup pots and a Dutch oven, which I paid maybe
> 300.00 total for and I use them often and they will outlive me so long as I
> don't drop them.
>
> Just love them.

Ditto.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 20:50:34 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>> More like they never did. Revereware has always been cheap, thin steel.
>>> I still have a box of my mom's Revereware pots and pans from the 1950's...
>>>

>>I hated my mother's Revereware too and am always mystified when it's
>>discussed as if it's something wonderful. Her Revereware is 100% of
>>the reason why I came to so late the modern ss party.

>Going back 40 to 50 years, Reverware and Farberware were two of the
>biggest selling brands of cookware. We bought Farberware when we got
>married in 1966. The pans were pretty crappy, thin, hard to use
>properly. They are long gone. The pots, however, are still in good
>condition and are used on a regular basis. You don't need fancy
>twelve ply exotic metals to heat up a can of soup or boil potatoes.
>
>While I'd never touch the pans again, the pots are good quality and
>have held up well for many years now.

You're talking about the old style Farberware Classic cookware, they
still cook fine but the new ones cook far better. The new Classic
Farberware pans with impact bonded ss bottoms over heavy aluminum
cores are fabulous, in sets and open stock at very reasonable
prices... I treated myself to some new ones to replace my old style
Farberware... I'd not consider buying any other.
This is a good buy for yoose small quantity folks:
http://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Cla...ref=pd_sim_k_2
This has been my favorite forever:
http://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Cla...ware+pan+12%22
No All-Crap comes close to this, does All_Crap even make large
cookwa
http://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Cla...tainless+steel
This 6 qt has become one of my favorites, great for frying without
spatter, frys four large pork chops:
http://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Cla...ef=pd_sim_k_10

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

>Two words
>Le Creuset
>Can't go wrong.

Another Neanderthal Gold's Gym wannabe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I also find that at age 54, even though I can afford to buy some things for
>> the kitchen, I can't feasibly use them. Such as a lot of cast iron things
>> because they are just too darned heavy.

>Don't feel bad. I'm a big strong guy and I rarely use my cast iron pans. The
>heavy weight annoys me.
>
>I mostly use my large set of Revereware pots and pans. Many people put them
>down as cheap and worthless but if you learn to cook with them, they are
>great and no problems. I would NEVER consider replacing my Revereware with
>other cookware. I have a few other *better* pieces and I rarely use them.
>
>G.

I tossed all cast iron cookware into the trash some 50 years ago, much
too heavy and doesn't even cook well, it's stone age technology. The
only cast iron piece I have is a gingerbread house mold. I've been
using an old style copper clad bottom 10" Revereware fry pan for some
50 years and it frys eggs perfectly, a great pan for flipping
omelets... ever try to flip with cast iron, fergeddaboudit. I've
never yet seen a resto use cast iron cookware... perhaps at Freddy
Flintstones. However I do love my cast aluminum Nordicware.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2013 10:47 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
>>
>> Two words
>> Le Creuset
>> Can't go wrong.

> Another Neanderthal Gold's Gym wannabe.

Is it even possible for you to be semi-pleasant?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 03:22:24 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>I have 3 Le Creuset pieces, 2 soup pots and a Dutch oven.

WTF is a "soup pot"... I can cook soup in any pot, even a #10 tin. WTF
is the difference between a soup pot and a dutch oven... Le Creuset
doesn't even make an authentic dutch oven... actually they make no
tradionally configured cookware... ALL *******IZATIONS... in other
words; Very Overpriced Crapola... all they are marketing is *colors*:
http://cookware.lecreuset.com/cookwa...0151_-1_20002?
I don't believe you own any Le Creuset cookware, you're too much of a
cheapo ******* and fact is you can't cook a lick... has anyone here
ever seen anything you've cooked, of course not... do you know what a
PPOS is (Phoney Piece Of Shit).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 23:40:21 -0700, The Other Guy
> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 22:36:45 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
> >Not hardly. And they last forever. Probably the last really good cookware
> >you can buy. You can get them a lot cheaper online.

> Nearly $300 for a 5 quart dutch oven on Amazon??
>
> IF I was 20 years old, maybe.
> I'd HAVE to live 50 more years to make THAT worth buying!!
>
> There are nearly affordable alternatives with great ratings
> there as well, same size for $50, with over 1200 4 and 5 star
> ratings, vs about 200 3 or lower stars.

I don't get it with things like dutch ovens. What's wrong with the
old fashioned uncoated cast iron type we used to buy at the hardware
store? The one I have was inherited through my mother from her
mother... who know? Maybe it was my great grandmother's. I can
guarantee you it didn't cost $300 and it's still in great shape.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 01:59:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> And unless it is a really expensive or hard to find
> item, I am getting rid of it now, unless it is something I currently use. I
> did keep my Springform pan and my Bundt pan only because when I needed them,
> I had a heck of a time finding them. Found Springform pans in one store all
> missing the bottoms! I did come close to getting rid of those but after
> thinking about it for a minute, decided that perhaps I should keep them for
> a while longer.

I think we go through phases in cooking. I made lots of cheesecakes,
quiches, tarts etc for 20 years or so... haven't made them in maybe 10
years. Oh, once in a great while... but not as many as I use to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 08:28:55 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > I also find that at age 54, even though I can afford to buy some things for
> > the kitchen, I can't feasibly use them. Such as a lot of cast iron things
> > because they are just too darned heavy.

> Don't feel bad. I'm a big strong guy and I rarely use my cast iron pans. The
> heavy weight annoys me.

I just used my largest cast iron pan the day before yesterday. The
reason why is because it can go from the stovetop to the oven. I know
ss can do that, but I don't consider it a baking pan and the handle in
longer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

>IME many cooks won't be able to use their Le Creuset for life; with
>advancing age of the cook they'll find full ones too heavy to lift
>safely.

Any large pot is heavy to lift when full, but it's not very often that
full large pots are lifted, not until most contents are ladled out.
However cast iron is too heavy empty... even young folks find them
difficult to handle... a PIA to clean, one slip and they'll damage
your sink. Even Le Creuset knows that their pots are too heavy,
that's why they put their name on porcelainized steel stock pots.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 23:40:21 -0700, The Other Guy
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 22:36:45 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Not hardly. And they last forever. Probably the last really good
>> >cookware
>> >you can buy. You can get them a lot cheaper online.

>> Nearly $300 for a 5 quart dutch oven on Amazon??
>>
>> IF I was 20 years old, maybe.
>> I'd HAVE to live 50 more years to make THAT worth buying!!
>>
>> There are nearly affordable alternatives with great ratings
>> there as well, same size for $50, with over 1200 4 and 5 star
>> ratings, vs about 200 3 or lower stars.
>>

> I don't get it with things like dutch ovens. What's wrong with the
> old fashioned uncoated cast iron type we used to buy at the hardware
> store? The one I have was inherited through my mother from her
> mother... who know? Maybe it was my great grandmother's. I can
> guarantee you it didn't cost $300 and it's still in great shape.

I have one of those, too - a 5 quart Lodge. Got it at an Army surplus store
for 20 bucks back in 1981. I just love my Le Creuset because it never
oxidizes and I can store the prepared food in it in the fridge. I use the
Lodge from time to time for things like roasting chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Brooklyn1 > wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> I also find that at age 54, even though I can afford to buy some things for
> >> the kitchen, I can't feasibly use them. Such as a lot of cast iron things
> >> because they are just too darned heavy.

> >Don't feel bad. I'm a big strong guy and I rarely use my cast iron pans. The
> >heavy weight annoys me.
> >
> >I mostly use my large set of Revereware pots and pans. Many people put them
> >down as cheap and worthless but if you learn to cook with them, they are
> >great and no problems. I would NEVER consider replacing my Revereware with
> >other cookware. I have a few other *better* pieces and I rarely use them.
> >
> >G.

> I tossed all cast iron cookware into the trash some 50 years ago, much
> too heavy and doesn't even cook well, it's stone age technology. The
> only cast iron piece I have is a gingerbread house mold. I've been
> using an old style copper clad bottom 10" Revereware fry pan for some
> 50 years and it frys eggs perfectly, a great pan for flipping
> omelets... ever try to flip with cast iron, fergeddaboudit. I've
> never yet seen a resto use cast iron cookware... perhaps at Freddy
> Flintstones. However I do love my cast aluminum Nordicware.

Cast iron needs a hard coating over the bare metal.
Almost nobody does it right. It is all in the
preperation. First the cooking surface must have been
ground smooth. Remove all old grease with lye then wire
brush down to the bare metal. Then it needs about 6
thin layers of flax seed oil (linseed oil) baked on at
high temperature. Details here.

<http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/>

Fried eggs float off of it like a tyke on a water slide.

The final finish is so hard you will not believe it
until you see it. I had occasion to remove a coating I
made and it took a wire wheel on a 10000 rpm angle
grinder; and I had to work at it.

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/13 4:32 PM, Michael Press wrote:
> Cast iron needs a hard coating over the bare metal.
> Almost nobody does it right. It is all in the
> preperation. First the cooking surface must have been
> ground smooth. Remove all old grease with lye then wire
> brush down to the bare metal. Then it needs about 6
> thin layers of flax seed oil (linseed oil) baked on at
> high temperature. Details here.
>
> <http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/>
>
> Fried eggs float off of it like a tyke on a water slide.
>
> The final finish is so hard you will not believe it
> until you see it. I had occasion to remove a coating I
> made and it took a wire wheel on a 10000 rpm angle
> grinder; and I had to work at it.

Why buy flax seed oil? According to the MSDS, raw linseed oil contains
nothing but linseed oil. Who cares if it came from an unsanitary facility?

If I want an iron pan bare and clean, I choose a time when I can open a
couple of kitchen windows and turn on an exhaust fan. Then I turn up
the burner.

To coat a pan, I use a lint-free paper napkin to wipe on a couple of
drops. I let it sit on a low burner with a silicone cover, checking the
temperature with an IR thermometer. I like about 375F. In an hour, I
may wipe on another coat of oil.

The smoke point of linseed oil is 225F, but I haven't seen anything
magic about that temperature. The oil takes time to harden at 400F and
will eventually harden at room temperature.

The juice of meat will stick to the coating. I put a little water in
the hot pan and let it soak a little while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I also find that at age 54, even though I can afford to buy some things
>> for
>> the kitchen, I can't feasibly use them. Such as a lot of cast iron
>> things
>> because they are just too darned heavy.

> Don't feel bad. I'm a big strong guy and I rarely use my cast iron pans.
> The
> heavy weight annoys me.
>
> I mostly use my large set of Revereware pots and pans. Many people put
> them
> down as cheap and worthless but if you learn to cook with them, they are
> great and no problems. I would NEVER consider replacing my Revereware
> with
> other cookware. I have a few other *better* pieces and I rarely use them.

I still like mine but I do think the quality has gone down as the years went
by.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/26/2013 8:28 AM, Gary wrote:
>>
>> I mostly use my large set of Revereware pots and pans. Many people put
>> them
>> down as cheap and worthless but if you learn to cook with them, they are
>> great and no problems. I would NEVER consider replacing my Revereware
>> with
>> other cookware. I have a few other *better* pieces and I rarely use
>> them.
>>
>> G.
>>

> I love my Revereware. Maybe what people can buy now is of lesser quality?
> Mine are nice sturdy pots. I can't imagine why some people say they're
> flimsy. I bought mine around 1980. Mom got hers in the 50's. I've never
> had any trouble cooking with Revereware.

My first set was probably bought around 1980 and not quite as good as my
mom's grandma's. I had to replace one pan in probably the mid 80's due to a
malfunctioning stove. It was fine. But I made the mistake of putting them
in the dishwasher which is fine to do but will dull the handles. So they
began to look bad. I replaced them in maybe 2003 and there was for sure a
difference in quality. For instance the copper was not put on evenly to the
Dutch oven. So it comes up higher on one side than the other. And they
changed the proportions (not the size if that makes sense) of the pans so
that some are now deeper or more shallow than they used to be for their
size. I had kept all of my old lids because they were fine. They still
work but not all fit on the same pan that they used to.

I still like the Revere, but once in a while I had to take a screwdriver to
the handles of my Dutch oven because they come loose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 01:59:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> And unless it is a really expensive or hard to find
>> item, I am getting rid of it now, unless it is something I currently use.
>> did keep my Springform pan and my Bundt pan only because when I needed
>> them,
>> I had a heck of a time finding them. Found Springform pans in one store
>> all
>> missing the bottoms! I did come close to getting rid of those but after
>> thinking about it for a minute, decided that perhaps I should keep them
>> for
>> a while longer.

> I think we go through phases in cooking. I made lots of cheesecakes,
> quiches, tarts etc for 20 years or so... haven't made them in maybe 10
> years. Oh, once in a great while... but not as many as I use to.

I used to make a lot of cheesecakes too. Now that I don't use much sugar at
all, I don't do much baking. I do know that cheesecakes are one of the few
things that can be made low carb but I can't eat them and Angela doesn't
particularly care for them. Once in a while she will buy a tiny sugar free
one but I think if I made a big one it would likely go to waste.