Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pots and pans.

"casa bona" > wrote in message
> On 7/25/2013 11:10 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>> Two words
>>>
>>> Le Creuset
>>>
>>> Can't go wrong.

>> Too expensive.
>>

> Buy once, use for life.

But I am 54. How many more years will I be cooking?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Janet wrote:
>>
>>IME many cooks won't be able to use their Le Creuset for life; with
>>advancing age of the cook they'll find full ones too heavy to lift
>>safely.

> Any large pot is heavy to lift when full, but it's not very often that
> full large pots are lifted, not until most contents are ladled out.
> However cast iron is too heavy empty... even young folks find them
> difficult to handle... a PIA to clean, one slip and they'll damage
> your sink. Even Le Creuset knows that their pots are too heavy,
> that's why they put their name on porcelainized steel stock pots.

But I wanted a baking dish. That would have to be lifted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 23:40:21 -0700, The Other Guy
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 22:36:45 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Not hardly. And they last forever. Probably the last really good
>> >cookware
>> >you can buy. You can get them a lot cheaper online.

>> Nearly $300 for a 5 quart dutch oven on Amazon??
>>
>> IF I was 20 years old, maybe.
>> I'd HAVE to live 50 more years to make THAT worth buying!!
>>
>> There are nearly affordable alternatives with great ratings
>> there as well, same size for $50, with over 1200 4 and 5 star
>> ratings, vs about 200 3 or lower stars.
>>

> I don't get it with things like dutch ovens. What's wrong with the
> old fashioned uncoated cast iron type we used to buy at the hardware
> store? The one I have was inherited through my mother from her
> mother... who know? Maybe it was my great grandmother's. I can
> guarantee you it didn't cost $300 and it's still in great shape.

I have never liked cast iron. I can never seem to season it right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2013 11:29 AM, casa bona wrote:
> On 7/25/2013 11:10 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>> Two words
>>>
>>> Le Creuset
>>>
>>> Can't go wrong.

>> Too expensive.
>>

> Buy once, use for life.

That is true, I like Le Creuset and I've had a full set of Saladmaster
cookware for about 35 years. Nobody in the younger generation likes to
cook, so I have no idea who I will leave it to.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2013 3:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "casa bona" > wrote in message

>>> Too expensive.
>>>

>> Buy once, use for life.

> But I am 54. How many more years will I be cooking?

50?

Think positively.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2013 4:03 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 7/26/2013 11:29 AM, casa bona wrote:

>>> Too expensive.
>>>

>> Buy once, use for life.

> That is true, I like Le Creuset and I've had a full set of Saladmaster
> cookware for about 35 years. Nobody in the younger generation likes to
> cook, so I have no idea who I will leave it to.
>
> Becca

Gee, that's a depressing insight. Do they even like to eat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa bona" > wrote in message
> On 7/26/2013 3:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Buy once, use for life.

>> But I am 54. How many more years will I be cooking?
>>

> 50?
>
> Think positively.

I might be alive for that long but probably not cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, j Burns >
wrote:

> On 7/26/13 4:32 PM, Michael Press wrote:
> > Cast iron needs a hard coating over the bare metal.
> > Almost nobody does it right. It is all in the
> > preperation. First the cooking surface must have been
> > ground smooth. Remove all old grease with lye then wire
> > brush down to the bare metal. Then it needs about 6
> > thin layers of flax seed oil (linseed oil) baked on at
> > high temperature. Details here.
> >
> > <http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/>
> >
> > Fried eggs float off of it like a tyke on a water slide.
> >
> > The final finish is so hard you will not believe it
> > until you see it. I had occasion to remove a coating I
> > made and it took a wire wheel on a 10000 rpm angle
> > grinder; and I had to work at it.

> Why buy flax seed oil? According to the MSDS, raw linseed oil contains
> nothing but linseed oil. Who cares if it came from an unsanitary facility?

Hardware store linseed oil has toxic driers in it. Use it at your own risk.

> If I want an iron pan bare and clean, I choose a time when I can open a
> couple of kitchen windows and turn on an exhaust fan. Then I turn up
> the burner.
>
> To coat a pan, I use a lint-free paper napkin to wipe on a couple of
> drops. I let it sit on a low burner with a silicone cover, checking the
> temperature with an IR thermometer. I like about 375F. In an hour, I
> may wipe on another coat of oil.
>
> The smoke point of linseed oil is 225F, but I haven't seen anything
> magic about that temperature. The oil takes time to harden at 400F and
> will eventually harden at room temperature.
>
> The juice of meat will stick to the coating. I put a little water in
> the hot pan and let it soak a little while.

Fine. You're welcome.

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2013 5:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "casa bona" > wrote in message

>>> But I am 54. How many more years will I be cooking?
>>>

>> 50?
>>
>> Think positively.

> I might be alive for that long but probably not cooking.

Well someone will have to inherit quality cookware then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa bona" > wrote in message
> On 7/26/2013 5:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> 50?
>>>
>>> Think positively.

>> I might be alive for that long but probably not cooking.
>>

> Well someone will have to inherit quality cookware then.

and promptly unload them at a garage sale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/13 7:51 PM, Michael Press wrote:
> In article >, j Burns >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/26/13 4:32 PM, Michael Press wrote:
>>> Cast iron needs a hard coating over the bare metal.
>>> Almost nobody does it right. It is all in the
>>> preperation. First the cooking surface must have been
>>> ground smooth. Remove all old grease with lye then wire
>>> brush down to the bare metal. Then it needs about 6
>>> thin layers of flax seed oil (linseed oil) baked on at
>>> high temperature. Details here.
>>>
>>> <http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/>
>>>
>>> Fried eggs float off of it like a tyke on a water slide.
>>>
>>> The final finish is so hard you will not believe it
>>> until you see it. I had occasion to remove a coating I
>>> made and it took a wire wheel on a 10000 rpm angle
>>> grinder; and I had to work at it.

>> Why buy flax seed oil? According to the MSDS, raw linseed oil contains
>> nothing but linseed oil. Who cares if it came from an unsanitary facility?

> Hardware store linseed oil has toxic driers in it. Use it at your own risk.

You must mean boiled linseed oil (CAS-no 13434-24-7). I specified raw
linseed oil, also sold at hardware stores (CAS-no 8001-26-1). Check it
out.
<http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic993183.files/Linseed-Oil_MSDS.pdf>

>> If I want an iron pan bare and clean, I choose a time when I can open a
>> couple of kitchen windows and turn on an exhaust fan. Then I turn up
>> the burner.
>>
>> To coat a pan, I use a lint-free paper napkin to wipe on a couple of
>> drops. I let it sit on a low burner with a silicone cover, checking the
>> temperature with an IR thermometer. I like about 375F. In an hour, I
>> may wipe on another coat of oil.
>>
>> The smoke point of linseed oil is 225F, but I haven't seen anything
>> magic about that temperature. The oil takes time to harden at 400F and
>> will eventually harden at room temperature.
>>
>> The juice of meat will stick to the coating. I put a little water in
>> the hot pan and let it soak a little while.

> Fine. You're welcome.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/13 9:20 PM, j Burns wrote:
> On 7/26/13 7:51 PM, Michael Press wrote:

>> Hardware store linseed oil has toxic driers in it. Use it at your own
>> risk.

> You must mean boiled linseed oil (CAS-no 13434-24-7). I specified raw
> linseed oil, also sold at hardware stores (CAS-no 8001-26-1). Check it
> out.
> <http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic993183.files/Linseed-Oil_MSDS.pdf>

Good news! Boiled linseed oil is now safe! The MSDS says it has only
linseed oil and manganese bis(2- ethylhexanoate) - 90 micrograms per
liter. The MSDS for manganese bis(2- ethylhexanoate) says it's safe to
breathe, put in your eyes, put on your skin, or ingest. No limit!

Of course, with the siccative, boiled linseed oil may not have as long a
shelf life as raw linseed oil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 26, 2013 8:06:27 PM UTC+10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> You don't need fancy
> twelve ply exotic metals to heat up a can of soup or boil potatoes.

We got some 5 ply (stainless steel, aluminium alloy, aluminium, aluminium alloy, stainless steel) pots recently, set of 4 for about $550. Korean. Unlike most, the 5-ply constructions goes right up the sides, and the lids are 5-ply as well.

Scanpan have a similar set for about the same price (when on sale), but with glass lids. Also seen similar Korean ones, but with thin (no multi-ply) lids.

The lids seal well, and they're very good for cooking slowly. Good pilaf pots. Somewhat like a Dutch oven (as used for cooking on a fire, with coals on the lid) on the stovetop. Better than cast iron, and much lighter.

But for boiling pasta or noodles, or making quick soup, a generic cheap pot works well enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2013 6:06 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "casa bona" > wrote in message

>>> I might be alive for that long but probably not cooking.
>>>

>> Well someone will have to inherit quality cookware then.

> and promptly unload them at a garage sale.

You prejudge them to be fools?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/13 11:38 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Hmmm... They were showing a pressure cooker on HSN the other day. It did
> look tempting but I'm just not sure I would get enough use out of it to
> justify the space it would take up.

It looks as if you'd pay $34 with shipping. Amazon will send it to you
for under $27. HSN says the manufacturer's warranty is 1 month. The
Presto warranty is 12 years.

Thanks for reminding me about shelf space. It's high time for me to put
most of that expensive stuff in boxes and get it out of the kitchen.
Then I can put my pressure cooker on a different shelf every day!

I'll keep my 5-quart and my 11-quart pots in the kitchen. For stained
shirts and kitchen towels, simmering with sodium percarbonate works great!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 26, 2013 11:01:01 AM UTC-6, casa bona wrote:
> On 7/26/2013 10:47 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> > "Paul M. Cook" wrote:

> >> Two words

> >> Le Creuset

> >> Can't go wrong.

> > Another Neanderthal Gold's Gym wannabe.

> Is it even possible for you to be semi-pleasant?

The odds of a "second coming" in your lifetime would be better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 03:33:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>So I was rather shocked when my mom whipped out an old Visions pan and told
>me to make something in it. I can't remember now what it was. Maybe mac
>and cheese from a box. I protested much about that but she pulled an
>attitude so I tried to proceed. For as much kitchen stuff as she did have,
>she didn't have much in the way of usable pots and pans. Another of her
>pans that I hated was the lightweight aluminum pasta pot with the draining
>insert. I do not like to cook that way and I freaking hated that pan!
>Anyway... The Visions pan did not want to come to the boil. We waited next
>to forever on it. Then of course the food stuck, just like I said it would
>and no amount of scrubbing by her (I refused to do it) would get the food
>out. Into the trash it went. I just can't believe she kept it for all
>these years. I'm pretty sure those things came out in the late 70's or
>early 80's.

My daughter had some Vision pots. When she moved cross country she
gave them to us. First use was to boil potatoes. The Vision pot went
into the trash with potato burned on to it. Horrid stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:06:43 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>> Well someone will have to inherit quality cookware then.

>and promptly unload them at a garage sale.

I figure that is what will happen with most of our good stuff. Sold
for about 2¢ on the dollar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa bona" > wrote in message
> On 7/26/2013 5:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> 50?
>>>
>>> Think positively.

>> I might be alive for that long but probably not cooking.
>>

> Well someone will have to inherit quality cookware then.

Ha! Pretty sure that Angela won't want it. She takes after my mom in that
she hates to cook. But unlike my mom, she hates going out to eat. Once
again she has decided to go vegetarian, starting on Sunday since we are
doing her birthday tomorrow and she has planned to have the Weight Watcher's
chicken meal at the diner we are going to. She will make her own smoothies.
We bought lots of stuff for that today. And she will make a plate of
sunseed butter with pre-sliced apples. She will also doctor up a bagged
salad. She doesn't mind cutting stuff up. But she won't cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "casa bona" > wrote in message

>>> I might be alive for that long but probably not cooking.
>>>

>> Well someone will have to inherit quality cookware then.

> and promptly unload them at a garage sale.

Not likely. If Angela gets them and doesn't want them, she'll take them to
Value Village. We don't do garage sales. Just not worth the time and
effort, IMO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa bona" > wrote in message
> You prejudge them to be fools?

I don't really care what happens to my stuff when I die. Of course if
Angela or anyone else wants certain things that I have, I would want those
things to go to them. But AFAIK, she doesn't and nobody else does either.

My mom has been getting rid of her stuff and I asked her if I could have her
rocks? Actually a great deal of the rocks were really mine to begin with
because I bought or collected and polished them when I was a child. She
also bought some or was gifted with them by a friend who also did lapidary.
Most of them are in a hammered metal bowl and I asked if I could have that
too? She thought for a second and told me that I could have it only if I
promised never to get rid of it because it was a wedding gift. And in my
mind I was like... So? It wasn't *my* wedding gift and it has no meaning
to me other than that it is unbreakable and looks like a good container for
holding rocks.

I just find it a little odd that people can be so connected to certain
possessions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"j Burns" > wrote in message
> On 7/25/13 11:38 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Hmmm... They were showing a pressure cooker on HSN the other day. It
>> did
>> look tempting but I'm just not sure I would get enough use out of it to
>> justify the space it would take up.

> It looks as if you'd pay $34 with shipping. Amazon will send it to you
> for under $27. HSN says the manufacturer's warranty is 1 month. The
> Presto warranty is 12 years.
>
> Thanks for reminding me about shelf space. It's high time for me to put
> most of that expensive stuff in boxes and get it out of the kitchen. Then
> I can put my pressure cooker on a different shelf every day!
>
> I'll keep my 5-quart and my 11-quart pots in the kitchen. For stained
> shirts and kitchen towels, simmering with sodium percarbonate works great!

The one I saw on HSN was $99 I think. I also think it was electric but I
could be wrong on that. I was only half paying attention.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 03:33:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>So I was rather shocked when my mom whipped out an old Visions pan and
>>told
>>me to make something in it. I can't remember now what it was. Maybe mac
>>and cheese from a box. I protested much about that but she pulled an
>>attitude so I tried to proceed. For as much kitchen stuff as she did
>>have,
>>she didn't have much in the way of usable pots and pans. Another of her
>>pans that I hated was the lightweight aluminum pasta pot with the draining
>>insert. I do not like to cook that way and I freaking hated that pan!
>>Anyway... The Visions pan did not want to come to the boil. We waited
>>next
>>to forever on it. Then of course the food stuck, just like I said it
>>would
>>and no amount of scrubbing by her (I refused to do it) would get the food
>>out. Into the trash it went. I just can't believe she kept it for all
>>these years. I'm pretty sure those things came out in the late 70's or
>>early 80's.

> My daughter had some Vision pots. When she moved cross country she
> gave them to us. First use was to boil potatoes. The Vision pot went
> into the trash with potato burned on to it. Horrid stuff.

Yeah. Whoever invented them should have been fired.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Brooklyn1 > wrote:

> Janet wrote:
> >
> >IME many cooks won't be able to use their Le Creuset for life; with
> >advancing age of the cook they'll find full ones too heavy to lift
> >safely.

> Any large pot is heavy to lift when full, but it's not very often that
> full large pots are lifted, not until most contents are ladled out.
> However cast iron is too heavy empty... even young folks find them
> difficult to handle... a PIA to clean, one slip and they'll damage
> your sink. Even Le Creuset knows that their pots are too heavy,
> that's why they put their name on porcelainized steel stock pots.

I think you are trying too hard.

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, j Burns >
wrote:

> On 7/26/13 9:20 PM, j Burns wrote:
> > On 7/26/13 7:51 PM, Michael Press wrote:

> >> Hardware store linseed oil has toxic driers in it. Use it at your own
> >> risk.

> > You must mean boiled linseed oil (CAS-no 13434-24-7). I specified raw
> > linseed oil, also sold at hardware stores (CAS-no 8001-26-1). Check it
> > out.
> > <http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic993183.files/Linseed-Oil_MSDS.pdf>
> >

> Good news! Boiled linseed oil is now safe! The MSDS says it has only
> linseed oil and manganese bis(2- ethylhexanoate) - 90 micrograms per
> liter. The MSDS for manganese bis(2- ethylhexanoate) says it's safe to
> breathe, put in your eyes, put on your skin, or ingest. No limit!
>
> Of course, with the siccative, boiled linseed oil may not have as long a
> shelf life as raw linseed oil.

Yes, and there is old fashioned stand oil as used by
craftsmen and artists for centuries that is not toxic
either. Or one can buy food grade oil at the grocery.

--
Michael Press

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I've been
> using an old style copper clad bottom 10" Revereware fry pan for some
> 50 years and it frys eggs perfectly, a great pan for flipping
> omelets...

That's my most used frying pan (the 10"). I do use the 8" one too
occasionally now that I live alone. Mine are about 35 years old. The 7" one
I have is rarely used.

G.

PS - the Farberware (that you posted links to) look good too. Not very
expensive either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 22:45:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I just find it a little odd that people can be so connected to certain
>possessions.

I can understand that in her life she would not want to let it go I
had meaning beyond itself. It has memories of a person or place
associated with it. We have a few things like that. Once I'm gone
though, I'm gone and the meaning does not matter to the next person.
Do what you want with it.

Value wise, it may be a bad idea to sell nice China or crystal for
pennies, but the buyer is getting a great deal and it makes them
happy. I hope they enjoy it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2013 10:20 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Friday, July 26, 2013 11:01:01 AM UTC-6, casa bona wrote:

>>> Another Neanderthal Gold's Gym wannabe.

>> Is it even possible for you to be semi-pleasant?

> The odds of a "second coming" in your lifetime would be better.

Oh how special, did you stay up late working on that snappy retort?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2013 11:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "casa bona" > wrote in message

>>> I might be alive for that long but probably not cooking.
>>>

>> Well someone will have to inherit quality cookware then.

> Ha! Pretty sure that Angela won't want it. She takes after my mom in that
> she hates to cook. But unlike my mom, she hates going out to eat. Once
> again she has decided to go vegetarian, starting on Sunday since we are
> doing her birthday tomorrow and she has planned to have the Weight Watcher's
> chicken meal at the diner we are going to. She will make her own smoothies.
> We bought lots of stuff for that today. And she will make a plate of
> sunseed butter with pre-sliced apples. She will also doctor up a bagged
> salad. She doesn't mind cutting stuff up. But she won't cook.

How unique, hopefully she'll find enough bagged veggie fare to keep her
strength up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2013 11:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "casa bona" > wrote in message
>> You prejudge them to be fools?

> I don't really care what happens to my stuff when I die. Of course if
> Angela or anyone else wants certain things that I have, I would want those
> things to go to them. But AFAIK, she doesn't and nobody else does either.
>
> My mom has been getting rid of her stuff and I asked her if I could have her
> rocks? Actually a great deal of the rocks were really mine to begin with
> because I bought or collected and polished them when I was a child. She
> also bought some or was gifted with them by a friend who also did lapidary.
> Most of them are in a hammered metal bowl and I asked if I could have that
> too? She thought for a second and told me that I could have it only if I
> promised never to get rid of it because it was a wedding gift. And in my
> mind I was like... So? It wasn't *my* wedding gift and it has no meaning
> to me other than that it is unbreakable and looks like a good container for
> holding rocks.
>
> I just find it a little odd that people can be so connected to certain
> possessions.

It's not the possession per se, it's the memory attached to it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa bona" > wrote in message
> On 7/26/2013 11:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Well someone will have to inherit quality cookware then.

>> Ha! Pretty sure that Angela won't want it. She takes after my mom in
>> that
>> she hates to cook. But unlike my mom, she hates going out to eat. Once
>> again she has decided to go vegetarian, starting on Sunday since we are
>> doing her birthday tomorrow and she has planned to have the Weight
>> Watcher's
>> chicken meal at the diner we are going to. She will make her own
>> smoothies.
>> We bought lots of stuff for that today. And she will make a plate of
>> sunseed butter with pre-sliced apples. She will also doctor up a bagged
>> salad. She doesn't mind cutting stuff up. But she won't cook.

is that Angela spoken for? sounds like a real keeper!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 22:45:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>I just find it a little odd that people can be so connected to certain
>>possessions.
>>

> I can understand that in her life she would not want to let it go I
> had meaning beyond itself. It has memories of a person or place
> associated with it. We have a few things like that. Once I'm gone
> though, I'm gone and the meaning does not matter to the next person.
> Do what you want with it.
>
> Value wise, it may be a bad idea to sell nice China or crystal for
> pennies, but the buyer is getting a great deal and it makes them
> happy. I hope they enjoy it.

True. I don't really have much of value so not a problem for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa bona" > wrote in message
> On 7/26/2013 11:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Well someone will have to inherit quality cookware then.

>> Ha! Pretty sure that Angela won't want it. She takes after my mom in
>> that
>> she hates to cook. But unlike my mom, she hates going out to eat. Once
>> again she has decided to go vegetarian, starting on Sunday since we are
>> doing her birthday tomorrow and she has planned to have the Weight
>> Watcher's
>> chicken meal at the diner we are going to. She will make her own
>> smoothies.
>> We bought lots of stuff for that today. And she will make a plate of
>> sunseed butter with pre-sliced apples. She will also doctor up a bagged
>> salad. She doesn't mind cutting stuff up. But she won't cook.
>>

> How unique, hopefully she'll find enough bagged veggie fare to keep her
> strength up.

We went shopping today. She did buy some vegan spring rolls. And some meat
substitutes including a Tofurkey pizza which oddly enough she liked. She
hates normal pizza. Go figure. This will be interesting!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "casa bona" > wrote in message

>>> Ha! Pretty sure that Angela won't want it. She takes after my mom in
>>> that
>>> she hates to cook. But unlike my mom, she hates going out to eat. Once
>>> again she has decided to go vegetarian, starting on Sunday since we are
>>> doing her birthday tomorrow and she has planned to have the Weight
>>> Watcher's
>>> chicken meal at the diner we are going to. She will make her own
>>> smoothies.
>>> We bought lots of stuff for that today. And she will make a plate of
>>> sunseed butter with pre-sliced apples. She will also doctor up a bagged
>>> salad. She doesn't mind cutting stuff up. But she won't cook.
>>>

> is that Angela spoken for? sounds like a real keeper!

Not yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa bona" > wrote in message
> On 7/26/2013 11:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "casa bona" > wrote in message
>>> You prejudge them to be fools?

>> I don't really care what happens to my stuff when I die. Of course if
>> Angela or anyone else wants certain things that I have, I would want
>> those
>> things to go to them. But AFAIK, she doesn't and nobody else does
>> either.
>>
>> My mom has been getting rid of her stuff and I asked her if I could have
>> her
>> rocks? Actually a great deal of the rocks were really mine to begin with
>> because I bought or collected and polished them when I was a child. She
>> also bought some or was gifted with them by a friend who also did
>> lapidary.
>> Most of them are in a hammered metal bowl and I asked if I could have
>> that
>> too? She thought for a second and told me that I could have it only if I
>> promised never to get rid of it because it was a wedding gift. And in my
>> mind I was like... So? It wasn't *my* wedding gift and it has no
>> meaning
>> to me other than that it is unbreakable and looks like a good container
>> for
>> holding rocks.
>>
>> I just find it a little odd that people can be so connected to certain
>> possessions.
>>

> It's not the possession per se, it's the memory attached to it.

I have lots of memories. For now I keep them in my brain. I don't want to
get like my parents are though. But I likely will. They seem not to
remember much of anything these days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/27/13 1:46 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "j Burns" > wrote in message
>> On 7/25/13 11:38 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Hmmm... They were showing a pressure cooker on HSN the other day. It
>>> did
>>> look tempting but I'm just not sure I would get enough use out of it to
>>> justify the space it would take up.

>> It looks as if you'd pay $34 with shipping. Amazon will send it to you
>> for under $27. HSN says the manufacturer's warranty is 1 month. The
>> Presto warranty is 12 years.
>>
>> Thanks for reminding me about shelf space. It's high time for me to put
>> most of that expensive stuff in boxes and get it out of the kitchen. Then
>> I can put my pressure cooker on a different shelf every day!
>>
>> I'll keep my 5-quart and my 11-quart pots in the kitchen. For stained
>> shirts and kitchen towels, simmering with sodium percarbonate works great!

> The one I saw on HSN was $99 I think. I also think it was electric but I
> could be wrong on that. I was only half paying attention.

I, too, would worry about the space an electric cooker would take... and
the cost, and the shorter warranty, and the reduced versatility. I can
put my cooker in the refrigerator, which makes it easy to put away and
reheat leftovers.

Pressure cooking is quick, and the valve regulates the temperature. I
don't see any need for a control panel or a heating element.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> We went shopping today. She did buy some vegan spring rolls. And some meat
> substitutes including a Tofurkey pizza which oddly enough she liked. She
> hates normal pizza. Go figure. This will be interesting!

I would imagine that being vegetarian would make it harder to do
South Beach?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> We went shopping today. She did buy some vegan spring rolls. And
>> some meat substitutes including a Tofurkey pizza which oddly enough
>> she liked. She hates normal pizza. Go figure. This will be
>> interesting!

> I would imagine that being vegetarian would make it harder to do
> South Beach?

I can't see how it would. She can eat eggs, cheese and tecnically nut/seed
butter. And there is no restriction on beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, j Burns >
wrote:

> On 7/26/13 7:51 PM, Michael Press wrote:
> > In article >, j Burns >
> > wrote:

> >> Why buy flax seed oil? According to the MSDS, raw linseed oil contains
> >> nothing but linseed oil. Who cares if it came from an unsanitary facility?

> > Hardware store linseed oil has toxic driers in it. Use it at your own risk.

> You must mean boiled linseed oil (CAS-no 13434-24-7). I specified raw
> linseed oil, also sold at hardware stores (CAS-no 8001-26-1). Check it
> out.
> <http://isites.harvard.edu

[...]

This is a public forum and I do not know who is listening.
I recommend that anybody undertaking this method of seasoning
cast iron only use raw filtered flax seed oil from the the
refrigerated shelves of a grocery store. Anything else is risky
and has no benefit.

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/13 11:55 AM, Michael Press wrote:
> This is a public forum and I do not know who is listening.
> I recommend that anybody undertaking this method of seasoning
> cast iron only use raw filtered flax seed oil from the the
> refrigerated shelves of a grocery store. Anything else is risky
> and has no benefit.
>
> -- Michael Press

Did you bother to read the page you gave us?

The blogger says she's a neophyte. Having no idea what she was doing,
she tried a mixture of organic avocado oil and strained drippings from
organic bacon. She failed.

She says she got the idea for flax seed oil from a guy who found that
linseed oil from the hardware store gives the hardest surface of
anything he's tried. Why do you say it has no benefit?

As a neophyte, she wasn't sure if it was safe. Obviously, she never
heard of Material Safety Data Sheets.

Do you buy drinking water at the grocery store? I drink tap water. It
is regularly tested, so I know it's safe.

Jerry used to post a lot here. He told me about raw linseed oil years
ago. He was right, as usual.