FoodBanter.com

FoodBanter.com (https://www.foodbanter.com/)
-   General Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/)
-   -   Blueberries! (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/424876-re-blueberries.html)

Gary 14-07-2013 10:10 AM

Blueberries!
 
Kalmia wrote:

At THAT price, I'd have loaded up and had all my freezer could hold, just about. I use blueberries year round in muffins.


$1.88 for me sounded good. The other grocery store I sometimes shop at have
them on sale for $2.50. The sales end after Tuesday. It will be interesting
to see how much they are after the sale.

I met someone who had so many growing along his fence line, they didn't
know what to do with them. Hmmph - how about asking ME over to pick some,
I wanted to chide.


A friend of mine in Connecticut has 2 bushes in his yard. He mentioned how
most years the birds and the chipmunks ate them all so this year he netted
them.
He said, "To just glance at the bushes, you might think there was maybe
a quart there. But looks are deceptive I guess... wife has been working
hours and hours on it over the last couple weeks, and she must have picked
at least 10 quarts by now"!

Almost as good as someone asking if you want free tomatoes at
the end of summer. I long for that day too.


I sure do miss growing my own. The last couple of years that I could do
that, I grew only 6 plants but once they started ripening, I was picking
maybe 14+ per day, every day for several weeks. And these were grown on the
side of my apartment building with limited space. The tomato garden was only
about 2.5' X 8'. I figured that neighbors would steal some but if they did,
I didn't notice. I was still bringing in more than I could use up.

G.

Dave Smith[_1_] 14-07-2013 12:33 PM

Blueberries!
 
On 14/07/2013 5:10 AM, Gary wrote:

A friend of mine in Connecticut has 2 bushes in his yard. He mentioned how
most years the birds and the chipmunks ate them all so this year he netted
them.
He said, "To just glance at the bushes, you might think there was maybe
a quart there. But looks are deceptive I guess... wife has been working
hours and hours on it over the last couple weeks, and she must have picked
at least 10 quarts by now"!


The first year I had a crop of blueberries I watched them develop
slowly. One day I thought they would be ready to harvest in a day or
two. Some critters apparently thought they were good enough then because
the next day they were all gone. I netted them with a 1/2" chicken
wire.... not good enough.





G.



Gary 14-07-2013 12:49 PM

Blueberries!
 
Dave Smith wrote:

The first year I had a crop of blueberries I watched them develop
slowly. One day I thought they would be ready to harvest in a day or
two. Some critters apparently thought they were good enough then because
the next day they were all gone. I netted them with a 1/2" chicken
wire.... not good enough.


I just bought another pint of blueberries for $1.88.

Funny: Only in RFC....I mention that they are large, plump, and juicy. And
a few responsed cut that down, claiming that the wild ones are so much
better and the ones I bought are weak and inferior. LOL!

Mine are tasty, folks. I'm not able to try the wild but what I get/got are
pretty darn good to me. heheheh

G. :-D

Dave Smith[_1_] 14-07-2013 01:02 PM

Blueberries!
 
On 14/07/2013 7:49 AM, Gary wrote:


I just bought another pint of blueberries for $1.88.

Funny: Only in RFC....I mention that they are large, plump, and juicy. And
a few responsed cut that down, claiming that the wild ones are so much
better and the ones I bought are weak and inferior. LOL!

Mine are tasty, folks. I'm not able to try the wild but what I get/got are
pretty darn good to me. heheheh


I don't doubt they are good but wild northern blueberries are packed
with a lot more flavour. I don't mind the big juicy ones, and they are
a lot cheaper, but my wife won't buy them. She considers them to be
absolutely flavourless.



Ed Pawlowski 14-07-2013 01:40 PM

Blueberries!
 
On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 08:02:57 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:



I don't doubt they are good but wild northern blueberries are packed
with a lot more flavour. I don't mind the big juicy ones, and they are
a lot cheaper, but my wife won't buy them. She considers them to be
absolutely flavourless.


It all depends. Sometimes the big ones are more bland because they
took on a lot of water and that puffed up the size and diluted the
flavor. But some varieties grow under the right conditions have every
bit of flavor as the smaller ones.

It also depends on how they were picked. Often, the supermarket fruit
is picked because it looks good, not because it is at the peak of
ripeness and flavor. Supermarket fruit is never as good as the
farmer's market stuff.

James Silverton[_4_] 14-07-2013 02:00 PM

Blueberries!
 
On 7/14/2013 8:40 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 08:02:57 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:



I don't doubt they are good but wild northern blueberries are packed
with a lot more flavour. I don't mind the big juicy ones, and they are
a lot cheaper, but my wife won't buy them. She considers them to be
absolutely flavourless.


It all depends. Sometimes the big ones are more bland because they
took on a lot of water and that puffed up the size and diluted the
flavor. But some varieties grow under the right conditions have every
bit of flavor as the smaller ones.

It also depends on how they were picked. Often, the supermarket fruit
is picked because it looks good, not because it is at the peak of
ripeness and flavor. Supermarket fruit is never as good as the
farmer's market stuff.

I bought sweet corn at the local supermarket and at a farmer's market on
two days this week. The supermarket stuff was better looking and
sweeter. You can't always win!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Gary 14-07-2013 02:59 PM

Blueberries!
 
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Supermarket fruit is never as good as the
farmer's market stuff.


That is so very true in all cases. :-D

G.

Gary 14-07-2013 03:03 PM

Blueberries!
 
James Silverton wrote:

I bought sweet corn at the local supermarket and at a farmer's market on
two days this week. The supermarket stuff was better looking and
sweeter. You can't always win!


Very true. The one veggie that my superduper market sells in quality is
sweet corn. Last week they were on sale for 3 days....10 cents per ear. oh
yeah!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FoodBanter