Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cocktails

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013072209443145811-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-07-22 08:55:51 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
>> "Michael Press" > wrote in message

>>> Fever Tree bitter lemon is my favorite mixer for a tall gin drink.
>>>
>>> <http://biggerthanyourhead.net/2010/08/02/we-love-this-stuff-fever-tree-bitter-lemon/>

>> I haven't seen that before.

> It's gotten a lot of press in the past couple of years because it's
> natural ingredients. I gave it a try with a couple of four-packs but don't
> drink so much tonic that I really cared one way or another.
>
> I recently saw a tonic water taste-test in the NY Times in which Schweppes
> won hand's down:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/kt5mfba
>
> In another test at drinkspirits.com, both Canada Dry and Schweppes beat
> it:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/kd94gvj
>
> But I realize the lemon-flavored and the Mediterranean are likely
> significant different tonics. I think my wife didn't like it's sugar
> content--this from reading, not from tasting.

Thank you! I drink Schweppes slimline tonic which is really the only one I
like. I also drink it as a soft drink with ice

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:201307220950105838-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-07-22 14:32:51 +0000, Kalmia said:
>
>> A good Sidecar, but most barkeeps in this country just stare at you,
>> like "Lady - what the heck is THAT?"

> True enough. For this reason there were 3 or 4 drinks that I or my
> wife were fond of which I printed the recipes for on a small piece of
> paper and handed it to the uninformed. One was, of course, the way I
> like my regular martini, but got tired of giving them all the
> instructions since "martini" means different things to every bartender.

... and absolutely nothing to me

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/07/2013 12:50 PM, gtr wrote:
> On 2013-07-22 14:32:51 +0000, Kalmia said:
>
>> A good Sidecar, but most barkeeps in this country just stare at you,
>> like "Lady - what the heck is THAT?"

> True enough. For this reason there were 3 or 4 drinks that I or my wife
> were fond of which I printed the recipes for on a small piece of paper
> and handed it to the uninformed. One was, of course, the way I like my
> regular martini, but got tired of giving them all the instructions since
> "martini" means different things to every bartender.

I have got the impression lately that anything served in a conical glass
with a ling stem is a martini.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-07-22 16:54:00 +0000, Dave Smith said:

> On 22/07/2013 12:50 PM, gtr wrote:
>> On 2013-07-22 14:32:51 +0000, Kalmia said:
>>
>>> A good Sidecar, but most barkeeps in this country just stare at you,
>>> like "Lady - what the heck is THAT?"

>> True enough. For this reason there were 3 or 4 drinks that I or my wife
>> were fond of which I printed the recipes for on a small piece of paper
>> and handed it to the uninformed. One was, of course, the way I like my
>> regular martini, but got tired of giving them all the instructions since
>> "martini" means different things to every bartender.

> I have got the impression lately that anything served in a conical
> glass with a ling stem is a martini.

Precisely. I've taken to saying if if a chunk of cieling tile fell in
to a martini class it would be a bar's new "signature" martini.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-07-22 16:53:41 +0000, Ophelia said:

> "gtr" > wrote in message news:201307220950105838-xxx@yyyzzz...
>> On 2013-07-22 14:32:51 +0000, Kalmia said:
>>
>>> A good Sidecar, but most barkeeps in this country just stare at you,
>>> like "Lady - what the heck is THAT?"

>> True enough. For this reason there were 3 or 4 drinks that I or my
>> wife were fond of which I printed the recipes for on a small piece of
>> paper and handed it to the uninformed. One was, of course, the way I
>> like my regular martini, but got tired of giving them all the
>> instructions since "martini" means different things to every bartender.

> .. and absolutely nothing to me

Stop now while you're ahead!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013072211160143247-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-07-22 16:53:41 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
>> "gtr" > wrote in message

>>> True enough. For this reason there were 3 or 4 drinks that I or my wife
>>> were fond of which I printed the recipes for on a small piece of paper
>>> and handed it to the uninformed. One was, of course, the way I like my
>>> regular martini, but got tired of giving them all the instructions since
>>> "martini" means different things to every bartender.

>> .. and absolutely nothing to me

> Stop now while you're ahead!

uhuh?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2013072209443145811-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:

> On 2013-07-22 08:55:51 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
> > "Michael Press" > wrote in message

> >> Fever Tree bitter lemon is my favorite mixer for a tall gin drink.
> >>
> >> <http://biggerthanyourhead.net/2010/08/02/we-love-this-stuff-fever-tree-bitter-lemon/>
> >>

> > I haven't seen that before.

> It's gotten a lot of press in the past couple of years because it's
> natural ingredients. I gave it a try with a couple of four-packs but
> don't drink so much tonic that I really cared one way or another.
>
> I recently saw a tonic water taste-test in the NY Times in which
> Schweppes won hand's down:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/kt5mfba

That's all right with me.

> In another test at drinkspirits.com, both Canada Dry and Schweppes beat it:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/kd94gvj

That too.

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .pbz>,
barbie gee > wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jul 2013, Michael Press wrote:
>
> > In article .pbz>,
> > barbie gee > wrote:

> >> It's made of ALL booze, with a splash of cola, in a tall glass with ice.
> >> TASTES like an iced tea, but it will put you out, if you guzzle it.
> >>
> >> Me? I like gin or vodka and tonic, martinis (but only gin/vodka/vermouth
> >> variants; none of those apple choco things), cuba libre (rum and coke),
> >> and an occasional margarita when having Mexican food.
> >>
> >> My biggest problem with cocktails that use sodas as mixers is that they
> >> all have HFCS in them nowadays, and I never have sodas in the house
> >> anymore.

> > Not all.

> Picking nits.

You said `all.' Is it such a small thing when you
are wrong that we should pass it over in silence?
Do you have special dispensation to misspeak and
be indulged? I know I am new here. Send me the
list of people who must not be challenged.

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2013 8:14 AM, barbie gee wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jul 2013, Michael Press wrote:
>
>> In article .pbz>,
>> barbie gee > wrote:

>>> It's made of ALL booze, with a splash of cola, in a tall glass with ice.
>>> TASTES like an iced tea, but it will put you out, if you guzzle it.
>>>
>>> Me? I like gin or vodka and tonic, martinis (but only
>>> gin/vodka/vermouth
>>> variants; none of those apple choco things), cuba libre (rum and coke),
>>> and an occasional margarita when having Mexican food.
>>>
>>> My biggest problem with cocktails that use sodas as mixers is that they
>>> all have HFCS in them nowadays, and I never have sodas in the house
>>> anymore.

>> Not all.

> Picking nits. Virtually all the commercial ones, other than Sierra Mist
> or "Mexican Coke". There's a lot of "boutique" soda that's non-HFCS,
> but it's all pretty expensive. I was referring to the standards. Even
> tonics have HFCS, Ginger ales, too.
>
> Diet sodas may not have HFCS, but they're not even included in the
> conversation. And obviously "soda water" has no sweetener.

A brief departure to taste-ville:

http://www.sodastreamusa.com/

Plenty of low cal Sucralose flavors and natural cane sugar ones as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Press" > wrote in message
> In article .pbz>,
> barbie gee > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Jul 2013, Michael Press wrote:

>> > Not all.

>> Picking nits.

> You said `all.' Is it such a small thing when you
> are wrong that we should pass it over in silence?
> Do you have special dispensation to misspeak and
> be indulged? I know I am new here. Send me the
> list of people who must not be challenged.

I shall be watching with great interest )))
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/07/2013 2:15 PM, gtr wrote:
> On 2013-07-22 16:54:00 +0000, Dave Smith said:

>>> True enough. For this reason there were 3 or 4 drinks that I or my wife
>>> were fond of which I printed the recipes for on a small piece of paper
>>> and handed it to the uninformed. One was, of course, the way I like my
>>> regular martini, but got tired of giving them all the instructions since
>>> "martini" means different things to every bartender.

>> I have got the impression lately that anything served in a conical
>> glass with a ling stem is a martini.

> Precisely. I've taken to saying if if a chunk of cieling tile fell in
> to a martini class it would be a bar's new "signature" martini.

True.... a dry signature martini.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2013 1:59 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Michael Press" > wrote in message
>> In article .pbz>,
>> barbie gee > wrote:

>>> those >>>>> as

>>> with >> ice.

>>> gin/vodka/vermouth

>>> Picking nits.

>> You said `all.' Is it such a small thing when you
>> are wrong that we should pass it over in silence?
>> Do you have special dispensation to misspeak and
>> be indulged? I know I am new here. Send me the
>> list of people who must not be challenged.

> I shall be watching with great interest )))

As you do will all examples of net bullying and hazing.

You fairly feed off it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 09:55:51 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Michael Press" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>>> Our tastes coincide perfectly <g> I hadn't really thought of those as
>>> cocktails Perhaps I need to review my perception

>> Fever Tree bitter lemon is my favorite mixer for a tall gin drink.
>>
>> <http://biggerthanyourhead.net/2010/08/02/we-love-this-stuff-fever-tree-bitter-lemon/>

>I haven't seen that before.
>
>--

If I didn't make my own tonic, this is what I'd use. I like the
Mediterranean style also.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 07:32:51 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:54:24 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>> Not some thing I have ever bothered with, but some of them mentioned here
>>
>> sound delicious
>>

>> Please would you post your favourites, and I promise to try them all))
>>

>> Best

>> --
>>
>> --
>>
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

>A good Sidecar, but most barkeeps in this country just stare at you, like "Lady - what the heck is THAT?"
>
>You can google for the ingredients.
>
>I like a Rusty Nail too or a Black Russian as an after dinner drink.

Oh yes, Rusty Nail, one of my favorite wintertime drinks.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

>>> <http://biggerthanyourhead.net/2010/08/02/we-love-this-stuff-fever-tree-bitter-lemon/>

>>I haven't seen that before.
>>
>>--

> If I didn't make my own tonic, this is what I'd use. I like the
> Mediterranean style also.

You make your own tonic??? Please do tell???
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:47:49 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .

>>>I haven't seen that before.
>>>
>>>--

>> If I didn't make my own tonic, this is what I'd use. I like the
>> Mediterranean style also.

>You make your own tonic??? Please do tell???
>--

I'm more than happy to share it with you.
I have over the past year, tweaked the recipe a bit. I prefer a bit
more citrus and lemongrass, so I've added a bit more over time.
One good thing about making your own tonic base is you can make it to
your liking. I also add less of the tonic mixture to the seltzer water
than the recipe calls for.

Here's what I do.
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...er-recipe.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/c8pskzq

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 22, 2013 12:50:10 PM UTC-4, gtr wrote:

> True enough. For this reason there were 3 or 4 drinks that I or my
>
> wife were fond of which I printed the recipes for on a small piece of
>
> paper and handed it to the uninformed.

Ya gotta watchit, tho, - some tend to NOT use fresh squeezed juice, which'll make a huge difference in sours etc.

We always have to spell out in one breath, as in Beefeaterginmartinistraightuplemontwist. I can say that pretty fast now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-07-22 18:28:08 +0000, Ophelia said:

> "gtr" > wrote in message news:2013072211160143247-xxx@yyyzzz...

>>> .. and absolutely nothing to me

>> Stop now while you're ahead!

> uhuh?

If Martini-stuff becomes a matter of importance you'll could become a
Martini fan; and frankly it's more frustration than it's worth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-07-22 23:03:34 +0000, Kalmia said:

> We always have to spell out in one breath, as in
> Beefeaterginmartinistraightuplemontwist. I can say that pretty fast
> now.

And do they serve it with no vermouth? Getting them to make in 5/1 or
4/1 gin/vermouth is hard labor. And when done it's usually the
unpleasant M&R Extra Dry.

I also prefer it stirred instead of shaken, because I don't like shards
of ice in the drink.

One bartender managed to do everything correctly but for a "lemon
twist" they took a fully-pithed chunk of lemon, smeared the pith around
the rim and dropped the thing in. I fished it out quickly, but
really--do I have to explain what a lemon twist is to a friggin'
bartender?

Yes; yes I do!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:47:49 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..

>>> If I didn't make my own tonic, this is what I'd use. I like the
>>> Mediterranean style also.

>>You make your own tonic??? Please do tell???
>>--

> I'm more than happy to share it with you.
> I have over the past year, tweaked the recipe a bit. I prefer a bit
> more citrus and lemongrass, so I've added a bit more over time.
> One good thing about making your own tonic base is you can make it to
> your liking. I also add less of the tonic mixture to the seltzer water
> than the recipe calls for.
>
> Here's what I do.
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...er-recipe.html
>
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/c8pskzq

Thank you very much koko I don't think I will be able to find Cinchona
bark, would there be an alternative?

I don't often post directly to you, so I would like to thank you for all the
great recipes Your simple way to make mayo is standard here now and I
often share it Hmm now ... do you have a simple way with Hollandaise ...
)
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Monday, July 22, 2013 12:50:10 PM UTC-4, gtr wrote:
>>

>> True enough. For this reason there were 3 or 4 drinks that I or my
>>
>> wife were fond of which I printed the recipes for on a small piece of
>>
>> paper and handed it to the uninformed.

> Ya gotta watchit, tho, - some tend to NOT use fresh squeezed juice,
> which'll make a huge difference in sours etc.
>
> We always have to spell out in one breath, as in
> Beefeaterginmartinistraightuplemontwist. I can say that pretty fast now.

I fear my education in cocktails is sadly lacking. I don't think I've ever
had a 'sour' either

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013072216063673044-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-07-22 18:28:08 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
>> "gtr" > wrote in message

>>> Stop now while you're ahead!

>> uhuh?

> If Martini-stuff becomes a matter of importance you'll could become a
> Martini fan; and frankly it's more frustration than it's worth.

Noted In which case I won't bother. Thanks

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 22/07/2013 2:15 PM, gtr wrote:

> >> I have got the impression lately that anything served in a conical
> >> glass with a ling stem is a martini.

> > Precisely. I've taken to saying if if a chunk of cieling tile fell in
> > to a martini class it would be a bar's new "signature" martini.
> >

> True.... a dry signature martini.

That would be a drywall martini.

--
Michael Press

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 09:54:36 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:47:49 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>>You make your own tonic??? Please do tell???
>>>--

>> I'm more than happy to share it with you.
>> I have over the past year, tweaked the recipe a bit. I prefer a bit
>> more citrus and lemongrass, so I've added a bit more over time.
>> One good thing about making your own tonic base is you can make it to
>> your liking. I also add less of the tonic mixture to the seltzer water
>> than the recipe calls for.
>>
>> Here's what I do.
>> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...er-recipe.html
>>
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/c8pskzq

>Thank you very much koko I don't think I will be able to find Cinchona
>bark, would there be an alternative?

I don't think there is an alternative Ophelia, but you can order it on
line through Amazon

>I don't often post directly to you, so I would like to thank you for all the
>great recipes Your simple way to make mayo is standard here now and I
>often share it

Thank you for your nice comments, I appreciate it.

>Hmm now ... do you have a simple way with Hollandaise ...
>)
>--

It just so happens that I do have a simple Hollandaise sauce recipe.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...n-blender.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/46kg3sv

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

>>Thank you very much koko I don't think I will be able to find Cinchona
>>bark, would there be an alternative?

> I don't think there is an alternative Ophelia, but you can order it on
> line through Amazon

Ok thank you, I'll have a look!

>>I don't often post directly to you, so I would like to thank you for all
>>the
>>great recipes Your simple way to make mayo is standard here now and I
>>often share it

> Thank you for your nice comments, I appreciate it.
>
>>Hmm now ... do you have a simple way with Hollandaise ...
>>)
>>--

> It just so happens that I do have a simple Hollandaise sauce recipe.
>
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...n-blender.html
>
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/46kg3sv

I thought you might)) Excellent! Thank you!!!

What other things do you use your immersion for?
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 09:03:12 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .

>>>Thank you very much koko I don't think I will be able to find Cinchona
>>>bark, would there be an alternative?

>> I don't think there is an alternative Ophelia, but you can order it on
>> line through Amazon

>Ok thank you, I'll have a look!
>

>>>I don't often post directly to you, so I would like to thank you for all
>>>the
>>>great recipes Your simple way to make mayo is standard here now and I
>>>often share it

>> Thank you for your nice comments, I appreciate it.
>>
>>>Hmm now ... do you have a simple way with Hollandaise ...
>>>)
>>>--

>> It just so happens that I do have a simple Hollandaise sauce recipe.
>>
>> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...n-blender.html
>>
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/46kg3sv

>I thought you might)) Excellent! Thank you!!!
>
>What other things do you use your immersion for?
>--

Well, just a minute ago I made some baba ganoush. I don't own a
blender so I use it for most anything you'd do in blender. Most
immersion blenders come with a little chopper attachment so I use it
for small food processor jobs too. In other words, I use it a lot.

This is the one I have.
http://www.brevilleusa.com/the-contr...ick-mixer.html

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 09:03:12 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..

>>> I don't think there is an alternative Ophelia, but you can order it on
>>> line through Amazon

>>Ok thank you, I'll have a look!

>>> Thank you for your nice comments, I appreciate it.

>>> It just so happens that I do have a simple Hollandaise sauce recipe.
>>>
>>> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...n-blender.html
>>>
>>> or
>>> http://tinyurl.com/46kg3sv

>>I thought you might)) Excellent! Thank you!!!
>>
>>What other things do you use your immersion for?
>>--

> Well, just a minute ago I made some baba ganoush. I don't own a
> blender so I use it for most anything you'd do in blender. Most
> immersion blenders come with a little chopper attachment so I use it
> for small food processor jobs too. In other words, I use it a lot.
>
> This is the one I have.
> http://www.brevilleusa.com/the-contr...ick-mixer.html

Very similar to mine, but you have much better ideas for yours <g> But yes,
I don't have a blender either and use mine a lot
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

>> I love both NP and M&R, vermouth is a wonderful wine/liquor. I only
>> use it plain or on the rocks, but sometimes I mix red martini with
>> white wine and have a Fake Spritz.

> Important to point out that I despise M&R *Extra Dry* which is the
> swill they have in the vast majority in bars and restaurants in the
> US. Their blanco (aka "dry") vermouth is great stuff and I like both
> that and their rosso. Still prefer Noilly Pratt dry or Dolin sweet
> (red) in cocktails though.

I too stand by white and red, the extra dry has strange flavor, reminds me
of green olives, which I don't like in martini.
And for the fancy schmancy, thay made a bottle branded Dolce & Gabbana (yes,
the two tax-dodging *** designers) which costs as 3 bottles of bianco or
rosso:
http://www.civiltadelbere.com/il-nuo...dolce-gabbana/
Sounds like they put many fancy ingredneits in the bergamotto from
calabria, spanish saffron, indian ginger, pepper from indonesia... They'll
have to wait a long time before I fork out 20 euros for one of those bottles

> I think it's important to be able to taste the element straight
> without a grimace or gag-reflex if you're going to mix it in a
> cocktail.

LOL, agree
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

>> Oh!!! errr .... not like regular iced tea then??

> If made properly, a good one tastes exactly like iced tea. It's an
> amazing trick, as the ingredient list is pretty much all hard liquor:
> rum, vodka, tequila, and gin. Plus, jes a tad bit o' triple sec for
> flavor and jes enough cola for color. When done right, taste jes like
> sweetened iced tea, but as one poster noted, will make yer head spin
> if yer not an experienced drinker. I love a perfectly executed LIIT,
> as it thoroughly deceives one's senses. A bad one is jes that. I've
> never succeeded in making a good one, but I've tasted great ones.

I too never made a good one, and in pubs and such I soon stopped ordering it
where I didn't know the barmen, or where they weren't renowned for
cocktails: I had way too many horrible LIIT
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-07-26 11:57:58 +0000, ViLco said:

> gtr wrote:
>
>>> I love both NP and M&R, vermouth is a wonderful wine/liquor. I only
>>> use it plain or on the rocks, but sometimes I mix red martini with
>>> white wine and have a Fake Spritz.

>> Important to point out that I despise M&R *Extra Dry* which is the
>> swill they have in the vast majority in bars and restaurants in the
>> US. Their blanco (aka "dry") vermouth is great stuff and I like both
>> that and their rosso. Still prefer Noilly Pratt dry or Dolin sweet
>> (red) in cocktails though.

> I too stand by white and red, the extra dry has strange flavor, reminds
> me of green olives, which I don't like in martini.
> And for the fancy schmancy, thay made a bottle branded Dolce & Gabbana
> (yes, the two tax-dodging *** designers) which costs as 3 bottles of
> bianco or rosso:
> http://www.civiltadelbere.com/il-nuo...dolce-gabbana/
> Sounds like they put many fancy ingredneits in the bergamotto from
> calabria, spanish saffron, indian ginger, pepper from indonesia...
> They'll have to wait a long time before I fork out 20 euros for one of
> those bottles

By the way, the Dolin dry and sweet are both good, and not
surprisinging their "extra dry" also takes acrid, bitter and
2-dimensional. Maybe they were just trying to replicate the best
selling M&R Extra Dry.

No wonder people stopped using vermouth in a Martini--I would do if it
was M&R Extra Dry!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "ViLco" >
wrote:

> gtr wrote:
>
> >> I love both NP and M&R, vermouth is a wonderful wine/liquor. I only
> >> use it plain or on the rocks, but sometimes I mix red martini with
> >> white wine and have a Fake Spritz.

> > Important to point out that I despise M&R *Extra Dry* which is the
> > swill they have in the vast majority in bars and restaurants in the
> > US. Their blanco (aka "dry") vermouth is great stuff and I like both
> > that and their rosso. Still prefer Noilly Pratt dry or Dolin sweet
> > (red) in cocktails though.

> I too stand by white and red, the extra dry has strange flavor, reminds me
> of green olives, which I don't like in martini.

The Dolin blanco is actually rather sweet,
and I prefer their less sweet extra dry in a martini.

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Press wrote:

>> I too stand by white and red, the extra dry has strange flavor,
>> reminds me of green olives, which I don't like in martini.

> The Dolin blanco is actually rather sweet,
> and I prefer their less sweet extra dry in a martini.

I'll have to look for this Dolin you both seem to like, tnx
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-07-30 13:24:36 +0000, ViLco said:

> Michael Press wrote:
>
>>> I too stand by white and red, the extra dry has strange flavor,
>>> reminds me of green olives, which I don't like in martini.

>> The Dolin blanco is actually rather sweet,
>> and I prefer their less sweet extra dry in a martini.

> I'll have to look for this Dolin you both seem to like, tnx

It's in many of the upscale bars these days: You might find it there.
In the stores it costs twice as much as M&R, but there are suddenly so
many boutique vermouths available (around here anyway) that M&R might
get greedy too.

There seem to be 3 new gin brands at the local Hi-Time, BevMo and Total
Wine. Small companies, small-batches, high-prices. I've enjoyed a
number of them, but note that Beefeater's remains dramatically less
expensive, particularly in the larger vessels. Same for Maker's Mark
bourbon. Both are still incredibly high quality spirits. It's a
comfort for those of us on a fixed- or no-income finances.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "ViLco" >
wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
>
> >> I too stand by white and red, the extra dry has strange flavor,
> >> reminds me of green olives, which I don't like in martini.

> > The Dolin blanco is actually rather sweet,
> > and I prefer their less sweet extra dry in a martini.

> I'll have to look for this Dolin you both seem to like, tnx

This is my opportunity to retract something I said.
First I still very much like the Dolin. I changed my
mind about the difference between their blanco and
extra dry. I now agree that the extra dry is a bit thin
and bitter. The blanco really is more flavorful, even a
bit floral---very pleasantly so---great in a martini
or drunk neat and very cold .

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2013073011362094414-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:

> >> The Dolin blanco is actually rather sweet,
> >> and I prefer their less sweet extra dry in a martini.

> > I'll have to look for this Dolin you both seem to like, tnx

> It's in many of the upscale bars these days: You might find it there.
> In the stores it costs twice as much as M&R, but there are suddenly so
> many boutique vermouths available (around here anyway) that M&R might
> get greedy too.
>
> There seem to be 3 new gin brands at the local Hi-Time, BevMo and Total
> Wine. Small companies, small-batches, high-prices. I've enjoyed a
> number of them, but note that Beefeater's remains dramatically less
> expensive, particularly in the larger vessels. Same for Maker's Mark
> bourbon. Both are still incredibly high quality spirits. It's a
> comfort for those of us on a fixed- or no-income finances.

Gin is supposed to be cheap; ask William Hogarth.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GinLane.jpg>
The full resolution picture is a beauty.

I have always favored Tanqueray.

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-07-30 23:04:35 +0000, Michael Press said:

> In article <2013073011362094414-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:

>>> I'll have to look for this Dolin you both seem to like, tnx

>> It's in many of the upscale bars these days: You might find it there.
>> In the stores it costs twice as much as M&R, but there are suddenly so
>> many boutique vermouths available (around here anyway) that M&R might
>> get greedy too.
>>
>> There seem to be 3 new gin brands at the local Hi-Time, BevMo and Total
>> Wine. Small companies, small-batches, high-prices. I've enjoyed a
>> number of them, but note that Beefeater's remains dramatically less
>> expensive, particularly in the larger vessels. Same for Maker's Mark
>> bourbon. Both are still incredibly high quality spirits. It's a
>> comfort for those of us on a fixed- or no-income finances.

> Gin is supposed to be cheap; ask William Hogarth.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GinLane.jpg>
> The full resolution picture is a beauty.
>
> I have always favored Tanqueray.

All the good ones are good. This year's favorites are Martin Miller
and Damrak. Neither are dead-on London Dry, for which I currently
prefer the Beefeater's or Tanq.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-07-30 21:21:08 +0000, Michael Press said:

> This is my opportunity to retract something I said.
> First I still very much like the Dolin. I changed my
> mind about the difference between their blanco and
> extra dry. I now agree that the extra dry is a bit thin
> and bitter. The blanco really is more flavorful, even a
> bit floral---very pleasantly so---great in a martini
> or drunk neat and very cold .

Precisely my view. I also like Dolin in what I think of as the
"Parisian Martini", because it's about as close to a real martini as I
ever got the 1/1 Gin to blanco (M&R) with 3 cubes of ice. in Paris
they asked me "two cubes or one?".

Incidentally the wife prefers sweet vermouth in a drink she calls a
"birdcage" but others call "sunshine". It's 2/1 gin to sweet vermouth
with a dash of Reagan orange bitters. Occasionally she likes just a
sweet vermouth neat. In both cases she is a Martini & Rossi Rosso fan
that has converted to Dolin sweet vermouth. I'm finding this more
frequently stocked in bars too.

Southern cocktails Brawny General Cooking 6 11-01-2010 09:53 AM
Southern cocktails Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 3 09-01-2010 08:08 AM
Southern cocktails Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 5 09-01-2010 12:21 AM
Low-Cal Cocktails mixr General 3 12-08-2009 10:38 AM
Cocktails (5) Cocktails [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 15-07-2005 04:27 AM