Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cocktails

gtr > wrote in news:2013071722135960219-xxx@yyyzzz:

> On 2013-07-18 01:28:46 +0000, bigwheel said:
>
>> Not sure why everybody ignored what John Wayne had to say about this
>> nonesense.

> I ignored everything John Wayne had to say about anything.
>
>> Yes..he will take a shot of Red Eye out of dirty glass.

> He'd could drink cool-aid out of a dog's ass if he likes. Hell--it
> might have made his movies more entertaining!
>
>> What dont yankee yuppies understand about that?

> Don't you want to through in Moslems to ensure the category is complete?

Muslims.

--
Peter
Brisbane

Success isn't so difficult.
Just bite off more than you can chew,
then go do it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Not some thing I have ever bothered with, but some of them mentioned
> here sound delicious
>
> Please would you post your favourites, and I promise to try them
> all))

My only beloved cocktails were gin & lemon, gin & tonic and long island iced
tea
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Not some thing I have ever bothered with, but some of them mentioned
>> here sound delicious
>>
>> Please would you post your favourites, and I promise to try them
>> all))

> My only beloved cocktails were gin & lemon, gin & tonic and long island
> iced tea

Our tastes coincide perfectly <g> I hadn't really thought of those as
cocktails Perhaps I need to review my perception

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2013 8:07 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "ViLco" > wrote

>> My only beloved cocktails were gin & lemon, gin & tonic and long
>> island iced tea

> Our tastes coincide perfectly <g> I hadn't really thought of those as
> cocktails Perhaps I need to review my perception

I had no idea that Long Island Iced Tea would be found outside
of the states, and really no idea Ophelia would like them. Heh.
That's a drink.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 7/19/2013 8:07 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "ViLco" > wrote

>>> My only beloved cocktails were gin & lemon, gin & tonic and long
>>> island iced tea

>> Our tastes coincide perfectly <g> I hadn't really thought of those as
>> cocktails Perhaps I need to review my perception

> I had no idea that Long Island Iced Tea would be found outside
> of the states, and really no idea Ophelia would like them. Heh.
> That's a drink.

Ahh hang on, is Long Island Iced Tea different to 'iced tea'? ie tea, which
is served iced?? If so I am very interested

O a gin and tonic girl

-
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

>> My only beloved cocktails were gin & lemon, gin & tonic and long
>> island iced tea

> Our tastes coincide perfectly <g> I hadn't really thought of those as
> cocktails Perhaps I need to review my perception

I think of LIIT as of a bomb
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 15, 2013 3:49:01 PM UTC-4, gtr wrote:

> Also for vermouth, for God's sake don't use Martini & Rossi's "Extra
> Dry ****" or anybody else's for that matter. Noilly Pratt, Dolin or
> Lillet Blanc.

Lillet, now there's a superior white vermouth.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

barbie gee wrote:

>> Ahh hang on, is Long Island Iced Tea different to 'iced tea'? ie
>> tea, which is served iced?? If so I am very interested

> It's made of ALL booze, with a splash of cola, in a tall glass with
> ice. TASTES like an iced tea,

It also looks like iced tea

> but it will put you out, if you guzzle it.

+1

> My biggest problem with cocktails that use sodas as mixers is that
> they all have HFCS in them nowadays, and I never have sodas in the
> house anymore.

That's one of the reasons I dumped cocktails, too much sugars
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>>> My only beloved cocktails were gin & lemon, gin & tonic and long
>>> island iced tea

>> Our tastes coincide perfectly <g> I hadn't really thought of those as
>> cocktails Perhaps I need to review my perception

> I think of LIIT as of a bomb

??? OH!!! I need information please???
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

>> Ahh hang on, is Long Island Iced Tea different to 'iced tea'? ie tea,
>> which
>> is served iced?? If so I am very interested

> It's made of ALL booze, with a splash of cola, in a tall glass with ice.
> TASTES like an iced tea, but it will put you out, if you guzzle it.

Oh!!! errr .... not like regular iced tea then??

> Me? I like gin or vodka and tonic, martinis (but only gin/vodka/vermouth
> variants; none of those apple choco things), cuba libre (rum and coke),
> and an occasional margarita when having Mexican food.

I haven't had any of those variants I used to drink rum and coke in the
old days but these days it is mostly G&T

> My biggest problem with cocktails that use sodas as mixers is that they
> all have HFCS in them nowadays, and I never have sodas in the house
> anymore.

eww nor do I!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> barbie gee wrote:
>
>>> Ahh hang on, is Long Island Iced Tea different to 'iced tea'? ie
>>> tea, which is served iced?? If so I am very interested

>> It's made of ALL booze, with a splash of cola, in a tall glass with
>> ice. TASTES like an iced tea,

> It also looks like iced tea
>
>> but it will put you out, if you guzzle it.

> +1
>
>> My biggest problem with cocktails that use sodas as mixers is that
>> they all have HFCS in them nowadays, and I never have sodas in the
>> house anymore.

> That's one of the reasons I dumped cocktails, too much sugars

Ok, that is a seriously down side

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-07-19, Ophelia > wrote:

> Oh!!! errr .... not like regular iced tea then??

If made properly, a good one tastes exactly like iced tea. It's an
amazing trick, as the ingredient list is pretty much all hard liquor:
rum, vodka, tequila, and gin. Plus, jes a tad bit o' triple sec for
flavor and jes enough cola for color. When done right, taste jes like
sweetened iced tea, but as one poster noted, will make yer head spin
if yer not an experienced drinker. I love a perfectly executed LIIT,
as it thoroughly deceives one's senses. A bad one is jes that. I've
never succeeded in making a good one, but I've tasted great ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_Iced_Tea

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-07-19, Ophelia > wrote:
>
>> Oh!!! errr .... not like regular iced tea then??

> If made properly, a good one tastes exactly like iced tea. It's an
> amazing trick, as the ingredient list is pretty much all hard liquor:
> rum, vodka, tequila, and gin. Plus, jes a tad bit o' triple sec for
> flavor and jes enough cola for color. When done right, taste jes like
> sweetened iced tea, but as one poster noted, will make yer head spin
> if yer not an experienced drinker. I love a perfectly executed LIIT,
> as it thoroughly deceives one's senses. A bad one is jes that. I've
> never succeeded in making a good one, but I've tasted great ones.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_Iced_Tea

Glory be to St Patrick and all da saints!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oi would be flat on
me back, so oi would!!!!!!!!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 19, 2013 3:22:18 PM

> Lemonade?? Never seen that! My husband is a malt drinking Scot and I never
> never seen him perpetrate such an obscenity
>
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

When I lived in Edinburgh back in the late 1970s every
bar used to have lemonade bottles on the counter. These
were used to top up scotch. Maybe it's changed.

I agree that it is a horrible sacrilege, but it is not just a rumor started by an Englishman.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

barbie gee wrote:

> My biggest problem with cocktails that use sodas as mixers is that they
> all have HFCS in them nowadays, and I never have sodas in the house
> anymore.

Perhaps HFCS is bad for you but I've always had this theory about hard
liquor. If you can set it on fire, how good is that for your body?

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2013 8:55 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

>> I had no idea that Long Island Iced Tea would be found outside
>> of the states, and really no idea Ophelia would like them. Heh.
>> That's a drink.

> Ahh hang on, is Long Island Iced Tea different to 'iced tea'? ie tea,
> which
> is served iced?? If so I am very interested
>
> O a gin and tonic girl

(laugh) I know you got your answer by now, but yeah, Long Island
iced tea is not nearly as genteel as it sounds. I'm no shrinking
violet in the booze department but I think that stuff could lay a
hurtin' on someone.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2013 11:14 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote

>> if yer not an experienced drinker. I love a perfectly executed LIIT,
>> as it thoroughly deceives one's senses. A bad one is jes that. I've
>> never succeeded in making a good one, but I've tasted great ones.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_Iced_Tea

> Glory be to St Patrick and all da saints!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oi would be flat
> on me back, so oi would!!!!!!!!

(laughing) So now you know why I was, shall we say, taken aback
by your declared fondness for them! Not that I think you're a
teetotaler or anything.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-07-19, barbie gee > wrote:

> I've taken a liking to Noilly Pratt.

NP is my second fave, but only in a martini. M&R Dry Vermouth is
great on the rocks all by itself.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 7/19/2013 11:14 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "notbob" > wrote

>>> if yer not an experienced drinker. I love a perfectly executed LIIT,
>>> as it thoroughly deceives one's senses. A bad one is jes that. I've
>>> never succeeded in making a good one, but I've tasted great ones.
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_Iced_Tea

>> Glory be to St Patrick and all da saints!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oi would be flat
>> on me back, so oi would!!!!!!!!

> (laughing) So now you know why I was, shall we say, taken aback
> by your declared fondness for them! Not that I think you're a
> teetotaler or anything.

Well I am still waiting for the recipe ... <g>

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2013 5:56 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> (laughing) So now you know why I was, shall we say, taken aback
>> by your declared fondness for them! Not that I think you're a
>> teetotaler or anything.

> Well I am still waiting for the recipe ... <g>

Hee. I have sipped one, but I've never made a Long Island iced tea.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 7/19/2013 5:56 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> (laughing) So now you know why I was, shall we say, taken aback
>>> by your declared fondness for them! Not that I think you're a
>>> teetotaler or anything.

>> Well I am still waiting for the recipe ... <g>

> Hee. I have sipped one, but I've never made a Long Island iced tea.

Hmmm are you sure? Is this a secret recipe? ehhh? Hmmm?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> On 7/19/2013 5:56 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> Well I am still waiting for the recipe ... <g>

>> Hee. I have sipped one, but I've never made a Long Island iced tea.

> Hmmm are you sure? Is this a secret recipe? ehhh? Hmmm?

Ok I just caught up with Bob's url. I can see what you mean!!! Blimey!!!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2013 4:14 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote

>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> Hee. I have sipped one, but I've never made a Long Island iced tea.

>> Hmmm are you sure? Is this a secret recipe? ehhh? Hmmm?

> Ok I just caught up with Bob's url. I can see what you mean!!! Blimey!!!

Right? Not something you just throw together. It's not my kind of
cocktail, anyway.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 7/20/2013 4:14 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Ophelia" > wrote

>>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> Hmmm are you sure? Is this a secret recipe? ehhh? Hmmm?

>> Ok I just caught up with Bob's url. I can see what you mean!!!
>> Blimey!!!
>>

> Right? Not something you just throw together. It's not my kind of
> cocktail, anyway.

Nooooo not mine either!!! lol I don't think I could ever drink all that

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "ViLco" > wrote in message
> > Ophelia wrote:
> >
> >> Not some thing I have ever bothered with, but some of them mentioned
> >> here sound delicious
> >>
> >> Please would you post your favourites, and I promise to try them
> >> all))

> > My only beloved cocktails were gin & lemon, gin & tonic and long island
> > iced tea

> Our tastes coincide perfectly <g> I hadn't really thought of those as
> cocktails Perhaps I need to review my perception

Fever Tree bitter lemon is my favorite mixer for a tall gin drink.

<http://biggerthanyourhead.net/2010/08/02/we-love-this-stuff-fever-tree-bitter-lemon/>

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .pbz>,
barbie gee > wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jul 2013, Ophelia wrote:

> >> I had no idea that Long Island Iced Tea would be found outside
> >> of the states, and really no idea Ophelia would like them. Heh.
> >> That's a drink.

> > Ahh hang on, is Long Island Iced Tea different to 'iced tea'? ie tea, which
> > is served iced?? If so I am very interested

> It's made of ALL booze, with a splash of cola, in a tall glass with ice.
> TASTES like an iced tea, but it will put you out, if you guzzle it.
>
> Me? I like gin or vodka and tonic, martinis (but only gin/vodka/vermouth
> variants; none of those apple choco things), cuba libre (rum and coke),
> and an occasional margarita when having Mexican food.
>
> My biggest problem with cocktails that use sodas as mixers is that they
> all have HFCS in them nowadays, and I never have sodas in the house
> anymore.

Not all.

--
Michael Press

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<snip>

Boston Sour
2 oz of your favorite whiskey
1 cherry
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp powdered sugar
1 egg white
1 slice lemon

Shake lemon juice , powdered sugar, blended whiskey, and egg white with cracked ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Add the slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Rum Sour
2 oz light rum
1 oz lemon juice
1/2 tsp superfine sugar

Combine the rum, lemon juice, and sugar in a shaker half-filled with ice cubes. Shake well, and strain into a sour glass. Garnish with an orange slice and a maraschino cherry.

Sidecar
2 ounces VSOP cognac, or brandy
1 ounce Cointreau
3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice, to taste
superfine sugar, for garnish (optional)

Prepare a cocktail glass by running a cut lemon wedge around the rim of the glass, then dip the rim in a saucer of superfine sugar to create a thin crust, chill the glass until needed. Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake well until chilled, about 10 seconds. Strain into prepared glass; garnish with a twist of orange or lemon peel, if the urge comes across.

You might tell that I like the sour drinks, Whiskey Sour, Tequila Sour, Brandy Sour...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2013 7:00 PM, T wrote:

> Rum is my downfall. Any drink with rum in it and I'm there.

Mine as well. My favorite is rum and cranberry juice.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> <snip>
>
> Boston Sour
> 2 oz of your favorite whiskey
> 1 cherry
> juice of 1/2 lemon
> 1 tsp powdered sugar
> 1 egg white
> 1 slice lemon
>
> Shake lemon juice , powdered sugar, blended whiskey, and egg white with
> cracked ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Add the slice of lemon,
> top with the cherry, and serve.
>
> Rum Sour
> 2 oz light rum
> 1 oz lemon juice
> 1/2 tsp superfine sugar
>
> Combine the rum, lemon juice, and sugar in a shaker half-filled with ice
> cubes. Shake well, and strain into a sour glass. Garnish with an orange
> slice and a maraschino cherry.
>
> Sidecar
> 2 ounces VSOP cognac, or brandy
> 1 ounce Cointreau
> 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice, to taste
> superfine sugar, for garnish (optional)
>
> Prepare a cocktail glass by running a cut lemon wedge around the rim of
> the glass, then dip the rim in a saucer of superfine sugar to create a
> thin crust, chill the glass until needed. Combine ingredients in a
> cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake well until chilled, about 10
> seconds. Strain into prepared glass; garnish with a twist of orange or
> lemon peel, if the urge comes across.
>
> You might tell that I like the sour drinks, Whiskey Sour, Tequila Sour,
> Brandy Sour...

) All saved, thank you I just have to persuade Himself that we should
try all these cocktails now

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Press" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:

>> > My only beloved cocktails were gin & lemon, gin & tonic and long island
>> > iced tea

>> Our tastes coincide perfectly <g> I hadn't really thought of those as
>> cocktails Perhaps I need to review my perception

> Fever Tree bitter lemon is my favorite mixer for a tall gin drink.
>
> <http://biggerthanyourhead.net/2010/08/02/we-love-this-stuff-fever-tree-bitter-lemon/>

I haven't seen that before.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

>> I've taken a liking to Noilly Pratt.

> NP is my second fave, but only in a martini. M&R Dry Vermouth is
> great on the rocks all by itself.

I love both NP and M&R, vermouth is a wonderful wine/liquor. I only use it
plain or on the rocks, but sometimes I mix red martini with white wine and
have a Fake Spritz.
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:54:24 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> Not some thing I have ever bothered with, but some of them mentioned here
>
> sound delicious
>

> Please would you post your favourites, and I promise to try them all))
>

> Best

> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

A good Sidecar, but most barkeeps in this country just stare at you, like "Lady - what the heck is THAT?"

You can google for the ingredients.

I like a Rusty Nail too or a Black Russian as an after dinner drink.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message

> A good Sidecar, but most barkeeps in this country just stare at you, like
> "Lady - what the heck is THAT?"

lol I've yet to find out if they would know it here)

> You can google for the ingredients.
>
> I like a Rusty Nail too or a Black Russian as an after dinner drink.

Thanks but I don't know what any of those are unless I look them up.

I will but would prefer personal opinions and recommendations.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-07-22 08:55:51 +0000, Ophelia said:

> "Michael Press" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>>> Our tastes coincide perfectly <g> I hadn't really thought of those as
>>> cocktails Perhaps I need to review my perception

>> Fever Tree bitter lemon is my favorite mixer for a tall gin drink.
>>
>> <http://biggerthanyourhead.net/2010/08/02/we-love-this-stuff-fever-tree-bitter-lemon/>
>>

> I haven't seen that before.

It's gotten a lot of press in the past couple of years because it's
natural ingredients. I gave it a try with a couple of four-packs but
don't drink so much tonic that I really cared one way or another.

I recently saw a tonic water taste-test in the NY Times in which
Schweppes won hand's down:

http://tinyurl.com/kt5mfba

In another test at drinkspirits.com, both Canada Dry and Schweppes beat it:

http://tinyurl.com/kd94gvj

But I realize the lemon-flavored and the Mediterranean are likely
significant different tonics. I think my wife didn't like it's sugar
content--this from reading, not from tasting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-07-22 11:40:38 +0000, ViLco said:

> notbob wrote:
>
>>> I've taken a liking to Noilly Pratt.

>> NP is my second fave, but only in a martini. M&R Dry Vermouth is
>> great on the rocks all by itself.

> I love both NP and M&R, vermouth is a wonderful wine/liquor. I only use
> it plain or on the rocks, but sometimes I mix red martini with white
> wine and have a Fake Spritz.

Important to point out that I despise M&R *Extra Dry* which is the
swill they have in the vast majority in bars and restaurants in the US.
Their blanco (aka "dry") vermouth is great stuff and I like both that
and their rosso. Still prefer Noilly Pratt dry or Dolin sweet (red) in
cocktails though.

I think it's important to be able to taste the element straight without
a grimace or gag-reflex if you're going to mix it in a cocktail.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-07-22 14:32:51 +0000, Kalmia said:

> A good Sidecar, but most barkeeps in this country just stare at you,
> like "Lady - what the heck is THAT?"

True enough. For this reason there were 3 or 4 drinks that I or my
wife were fond of which I printed the recipes for on a small piece of
paper and handed it to the uninformed. One was, of course, the way I
like my regular martini, but got tired of giving them all the
instructions since "martini" means different things to every bartender.

Southern cocktails Brawny General Cooking 6 11-01-2010 10:53 AM
Southern cocktails Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 3 09-01-2010 09:08 AM
Southern cocktails Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 5 09-01-2010 01:21 AM
Low-Cal Cocktails mixr General 3 12-08-2009 10:38 AM
Cocktails (5) Cocktails [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 15-07-2005 04:27 AM