Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's in it - mcdonald's French Fries

Come across this yesterday and was having a discussion about this with
a friend, thought I'd re-post it here FYI...

According to Macdonalds, here is the contents of their French Fries:

"what's in it | McDonald's
potatoes
We like our fries and hash browns fluffy on the inside, crunchy on the
outside. That’s why we use potato varieties like Russet Burbank,
Shepody and Russet Ranger"
http://mcdonalds.com.au/our-food/whats-in-it

Here's what's *actually* in their French Fries:

Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural
flavour (vegetable source), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate
(maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane
(antifoaming agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil,
soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric acid and
dimethylpolysiloxane) and salt (silicoaluminate, dextrose, potassium
iodide)
http://www.undergroundhealth.com/mcd...ncluding-gmos/

All GMO, where possible, of course.
And here I was just using oil and potatoes!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2013 5:37 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> Come across this yesterday and was having a discussion about this with
> a friend, thought I'd re-post it here FYI...
>
> According to Macdonalds, here is the contents of their French Fries:
>
> "what's in it | McDonald's
> potatoes
> We like our fries and hash browns fluffy on the inside, crunchy on the
> outside. That’s why we use potato varieties like Russet Burbank,
> Shepody and Russet Ranger"
> http://mcdonalds.com.au/our-food/whats-in-it
>
> Here's what's *actually* in their French Fries:
>
> Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural
> flavour (vegetable source), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate
> (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane
> (antifoaming agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil,
> soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric acid and
> dimethylpolysiloxane) and salt (silicoaluminate, dextrose, potassium
> iodide)
> http://www.undergroundhealth.com/mcd...ncluding-gmos/
>
> All GMO, where possible, of course.
> And here I was just using oil and potatoes!

All true, and all still so very tasty alas...oh for the simpler days of
beef tallow...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/13 7:37 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> Come across this yesterday and was having a discussion about this with
> a friend, thought I'd re-post it here FYI...
>
> According to Macdonalds, here is the contents of their French Fries:
>
> "what's in it | McDonald's
> potatoes
> We like our fries and hash browns fluffy on the inside, crunchy on the
> outside. That’s why we use potato varieties like Russet Burbank,
> Shepody and Russet Ranger"
> http://mcdonalds.com.au/our-food/whats-in-it
>
> Here's what's *actually* in their French Fries:
>
> Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural
> flavour (vegetable source), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate
> (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane
> (antifoaming agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil,
> soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric acid and
> dimethylpolysiloxane) and salt (silicoaluminate, dextrose, potassium
> iodide)
> http://www.undergroundhealth.com/mcd...ncluding-gmos/
>
> All GMO, where possible, of course.
> And here I was just using oil and potatoes!

They made their name on delicious tallow fries, which I think are
wholesome. I believe it was Science in the Public Interest, a front for
the soybean industry, that mounted a propaganda campaign of junk
science, claiming Mcdonald's fries were bad for you and partially
hydrogenated soybean oil was good. In fact, it had been established
that the latter was deadly, but public opinion forced Mcdonald's to go
to vegetable oil.

Mcdonald's fries are still considered relatively healthful.
<http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/fast-food-french-fries-which-are-healthiest>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2013 7:37 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> And here I was just using oil and potatoes!

I really don't understand the fascination with McDonald's. When I was a
kid, if Mom took us there it was a treat. They didn't even have
playgrounds back then. LOL

Slice russet potatoes into thin strips, pan fry in oil. Pretty simple.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/07/2013 9:37 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/10/2013 7:37 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> And here I was just using oil and potatoes!

> I really don't understand the fascination with McDonald's. When I was a
> kid, if Mom took us there it was a treat. They didn't even have
> playgrounds back then. LOL
>
> Slice russet potatoes into thin strips, pan fry in oil. Pretty simple.

I never thought it was a treat. I ate at McDs a couple times when I was
working on the road and then only when working with other people who
wanted to go. Was never impressed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2013 9:45 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 10/07/2013 9:37 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 7/10/2013 7:37 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>>> And here I was just using oil and potatoes!

>> I really don't understand the fascination with McDonald's. When I was a
>> kid, if Mom took us there it was a treat. They didn't even have
>> playgrounds back then. LOL
>>
>> Slice russet potatoes into thin strips, pan fry in oil. Pretty simple.
>>

> I never thought it was a treat. I ate at McDs a couple times when I was
> working on the road and then only when working with other people who
> wanted to go. Was never impressed.

I did say I was a kid at the time. We didn't go out to eat much so
getting fast food was considered a treat.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> Come across this yesterday and was having a discussion about this with
> a friend, thought I'd re-post it here FYI...
>
> According to Macdonalds, here is the contents of their French Fries:
>
> "what's in it | McDonald's
> potatoes
> We like our fries and hash browns fluffy on the inside, crunchy on the
> outside. That's why we use potato varieties like Russet Burbank,
> Shepody and Russet Ranger"
> http://mcdonalds.com.au/our-food/whats-in-it
>
> Here's what's *actually* in their French Fries:
>
> Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural
> flavour (vegetable source), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate
> (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane
> (antifoaming agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil,
> soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric acid and
> dimethylpolysiloxane) and salt (silicoaluminate, dextrose, potassium
> iodide)
> http://www.undergroundhealth.com/mcd...ncluding-gmos/
>
> All GMO, where possible, of course.
> And here I was just using oil and potatoes!

I think you are missing things unless they have changed things. Lemme
check. Yes. You have to scroll down. Won't let me copy and paste.

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnu...dientslist.pdf

Also contains milk, wheat and beef!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/10/2013 7:37 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> And here I was just using oil and potatoes!

> I really don't understand the fascination with McDonald's. When I was a
> kid, if Mom took us there it was a treat. They didn't even have
> playgrounds back then. LOL

I fail to see how it could be a treat. For us it was more like a
desparation meal. Something didn't go right at home with the meal, like the
sweet and sour liver with pineapple chunks and we didn't have enough money
to go to a real restaurant. Or we were out on the road, needed to eat and
nothing else was available. My parents also did get me McD's when they got
pizza although I'm not sure why because I really didn't like it. Hated
pizza but discovered when I was older that what I hated was the kind that
they got which was sausage and black olive. It was just sooo greasy and I
don't like greasy food!

> Slice russet potatoes into thin strips, pan fry in oil. Pretty simple.

I prefer oven roasted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 22:10:25 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 19:54:57 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> Also contains milk, wheat and beef!

>> It does not say contain...

> Correction: Does not say it contains .. *BEEF*.

It does say natural beef flavor. So derived from beef. That's the first tip
off that made me distrust them. There was a lawsuit some years ago by
vegetarians over that one!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus wrote:

>According to Macdonalds, here is the contents of their French Fries:

Who gives a fat rat's B-Hind... The Clown doesn't serve French Fries,
never did... those skinny-minnie thingies are *Shoestring Potatoes*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> Come across this yesterday and was having a discussion about this with
> a friend, thought I'd re-post it here FYI...
>
> According to Macdonalds, here is the contents of their French Fries:
>
> "what's in it | McDonald's
> potatoes
> We like our fries and hash browns fluffy on the inside, crunchy on the
> outside. That's why we use potato varieties like Russet Burbank,
> Shepody and Russet Ranger"
> http://mcdonalds.com.au/our-food/whats-in-it
>
> Here's what's *actually* in their French Fries:
>
> Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural
> flavour (vegetable source), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate
> (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane
> (antifoaming agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil,
> soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric acid and
> dimethylpolysiloxane) and salt (silicoaluminate, dextrose, potassium
> iodide)
> http://www.undergroundhealth.com/mcd...ncluding-gmos/
>
> All GMO, where possible, of course.
> And here I was just using oil and potatoes!

Exactly what I was thinking!!!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2013 9:13 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Jeßus wrote:
>>
>> According to Macdonalds, here is the contents of their French Fries:

> Who gives a fat rat's B-Hind... The Clown doesn't serve French Fries,
> never did... those skinny-minnie thingies are *Shoestring Potatoes*

There's not a thing wrong with shoestring potatoes. I occassionally
make sweet potato shoestrings. No need for a deep fryer for either one,
just a good heavy skillet and oil. And yes, twice frying is best.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 20:55:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>sweet and sour liver with pineapple chunks

{{{shudder}}}
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:37:29 PM UTC-7, Jeßus wrote:
> Come across this yesterday and was having a discussion about this with

Oh those "food scientists" that have huge labs dedicated to the combination of chemicals to titillate your taste buds. Mickey D's makes it taste good no matter what it does to body and your health.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 21:02:32 -0400, j Burns >
wrote:

>On 7/10/13 7:37 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> Come across this yesterday and was having a discussion about this with
>> a friend, thought I'd re-post it here FYI...
>>
>> According to Macdonalds, here is the contents of their French Fries:
>>
>> "what's in it | McDonald's
>> potatoes
>> We like our fries and hash browns fluffy on the inside, crunchy on the
>> outside. That’s why we use potato varieties like Russet Burbank,
>> Shepody and Russet Ranger"
>> http://mcdonalds.com.au/our-food/whats-in-it
>>
>> Here's what's *actually* in their French Fries:
>>
>> Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural
>> flavour (vegetable source), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate
>> (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane
>> (antifoaming agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil,
>> soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric acid and
>> dimethylpolysiloxane) and salt (silicoaluminate, dextrose, potassium
>> iodide)
>> http://www.undergroundhealth.com/mcd...ncluding-gmos/
>>
>> All GMO, where possible, of course.
>> And here I was just using oil and potatoes!
>>

>They made their name on delicious tallow fries, which I think are
>wholesome.

I agree, nothing wrong with tallow - if it really is plain tallow.

>I believe it was Science in the Public Interest, a front for
>the soybean industry,

Don't you just love the names they come up with, much like many
'institutes'.

>that mounted a propaganda campaign of junk
>science, claiming Mcdonald's fries were bad for you and partially
>hydrogenated soybean oil was good. In fact, it had been established
>that the latter was deadly, but public opinion forced Mcdonald's to go
>to vegetable oil.

Yep. No end of other examples of that happening with other food items,
plus things like hemp/cannabis, etc.

>Mcdonald's fries are still considered relatively healthful.
><http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/fast-food-french-fries-which-are-healthiest>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 21:37:53 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/10/2013 7:37 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> And here I was just using oil and potatoes!

>I really don't understand the fascination with McDonald's. When I was a
>kid, if Mom took us there it was a treat. They didn't even have
>playgrounds back then. LOL

IIRC, we didn't get Macdonalds here in Oz until the late 70's - or at
the very least, they weren't common. I was in my late teens by the
time they were common and ordinarily wouldn't go to one... except late
at night when we'd have a bad case of the munchies... who knew I could
eat a Big mac, two 1/4 pounders and two apple pies in one sitting...
Oh well, I couldn't put on weight back then no matter what I ate.

We did have 'Hungry Jacks' before then though - they seem to be an
offshoot of Burger King. I quite liked their 'Whoppers' when I was a
kid.

>Slice russet potatoes into thin strips, pan fry in oil. Pretty simple.

Yep!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 19:54:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Come across this yesterday and was having a discussion about this with
>> a friend, thought I'd re-post it here FYI...
>>
>> According to Macdonalds, here is the contents of their French Fries:
>>
>> "what's in it | McDonald's
>> potatoes
>> We like our fries and hash browns fluffy on the inside, crunchy on the
>> outside. That's why we use potato varieties like Russet Burbank,
>> Shepody and Russet Ranger"
>> http://mcdonalds.com.au/our-food/whats-in-it
>>
>> Here's what's *actually* in their French Fries:
>>
>> Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural
>> flavour (vegetable source), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate
>> (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane
>> (antifoaming agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil,
>> soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric acid and
>> dimethylpolysiloxane) and salt (silicoaluminate, dextrose, potassium
>> iodide)
>> http://www.undergroundhealth.com/mcd...ncluding-gmos/
>>
>> All GMO, where possible, of course.
>> And here I was just using oil and potatoes!

>I think you are missing things unless they have changed things. Lemme
>check. Yes. You have to scroll down. Won't let me copy and paste.
>
>http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnu...dientslist.pdf
>
>Also contains milk, wheat and beef!

LOL, they probably add dextrose to their sugar too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 12:24:26 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/11/2013 9:13 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Jeßus wrote:
>>>
>>> According to Macdonalds, here is the contents of their French Fries:

>> Who gives a fat rat's B-Hind... The Clown doesn't serve French Fries,
>> never did... those skinny-minnie thingies are *Shoestring Potatoes*
>>

>There's not a thing wrong with shoestring potatoes. I occassionally
>make sweet potato shoestrings. No need for a deep fryer for either one,
>just a good heavy skillet and oil. And yes, twice frying is best.

Hmm. How do par-fried fries keep if frozen then re-fried?
I was thinking of doing a bulk lot...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 11:14:41 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:37:29 PM UTC-7, Jeßus wrote:
>> Come across this yesterday and was having a discussion about this with

>Oh those "food scientists" that have huge labs dedicated to the combination of chemicals to titillate your taste buds. Mickey D's makes it taste good no matter what it does to body and your health.

A bit too sweet for me, although it has been many years since I had
any Maccas. They may have changed it since then for all I know,
although dextrose in their fries... still can't get over that one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2013 3:48 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 12:24:26 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Who gives a fat rat's B-Hind... The Clown doesn't serve French Fries,
>>> never did... those skinny-minnie thingies are *Shoestring Potatoes*
>>>

>> There's not a thing wrong with shoestring potatoes. I occassionally
>> make sweet potato shoestrings. No need for a deep fryer for either one,
>> just a good heavy skillet and oil. And yes, twice frying is best.

> Hmm. How do par-fried fries keep if frozen then re-fried?
> I was thinking of doing a bulk lot...

Get some liquid nitrogen, or you'll be freezing mush.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 07:48:43 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 12:24:26 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> >> Who gives a fat rat's B-Hind... The Clown doesn't serve French Fries,
> >> never did... those skinny-minnie thingies are *Shoestring Potatoes*
> >>

> >There's not a thing wrong with shoestring potatoes. I occassionally
> >make sweet potato shoestrings. No need for a deep fryer for either one,
> >just a good heavy skillet and oil. And yes, twice frying is best.

> Hmm. How do par-fried fries keep if frozen then re-fried?
> I was thinking of doing a bulk lot...

My first ever job was at a restaurant and that's the way they prepared
potatoes.

McDonald's Garlic Fries Are Already Sold Out in San Francisco Janet B General Cooking 14 10-05-2016 07:14 PM
McDonald's Fries sf[_9_] General Cooking 144 10-05-2016 03:40 PM
McDonald's Fries jay General Cooking 45 19-02-2006 07:32 AM
Do French people eat French Fries and French Toast ? Puester General Cooking 2 17-02-2005 05:22 AM