Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chevy's Sweet Corn Tamalito

I believe this is the ubiquitous "glop" they serve at Chevy's, although
some folks crave it:

http://www.dishingthedivine.com/2011...corn-tomalito/

I am a sucker for the sweet corn stuff they serve at Chevys. I didnt
realize there was a name for it until I received Top Secret Restaurant
Recipes 2 by Todd Wilbur. When I saw the recipe I exclaimed, Oh my
gosh! I LOVE that stuff! I had no idea it was called tomalito And
really, I do love this. Its the perfect accompanianment to the other
savory flavors. To be honest, when assembling a fajita, I add a little
chicken, a few strips of bell pepper, a bit of beans and guac, a *lot*
of tomalito. And once you realize that its easy to make, youll be
eating as much as you want, too!

This makes more tomalito than you will probably eat in one or two
servings, but the leftovers freeze well. To serve, just let them come to
room temperature and enjoy!

just like Chevys sweet corn tomalito
from the book Top Secret Restaurant Recipes 2

4 cups frozen corn, thawed (divided)
6.5 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup masa harina
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt.

Preheat oven to 325. Heat 2 quarts of water on the stove.

Cream softened butter together with the sugar in a large bowl with an
electric mixer until smooth. Add milk and masa and mix well.

Use a blender or food processor to puree 2 cups of corn until smooth.
Add pureed corn to butter/masa mixture and mix well. Add corn meal,
baking powder, salt and remaining corn and mix until combined.

Pour the mixture into an ungreased 8×8 baking pan. Cover with foil and
place into a 9×13-inch baking pan. Add hot water to the larger baking
pan until its about 1/3 full. Bake for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and bake
until the cake is firm in the center, about 30 minutes longer. Let sit
for 10 minutes before serving.

Now that recipe is no doubt authentic to Chevy's, but there can be better:

http://perudelights.com/meatlessmond...e-with-cheese/

Baked Tamalito Verde with Cheese
Author: Peru Delights
Recipe type: Appetizer
Cuisine: Peruvian
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 20 mins

Serves: 6

Ingredients

5 cups fresh corn kernels (preferably white)
½ cup cilantro leaves
½ cup water
1 cup Half & Half
5 eggs
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup coarsely grated queso fresco
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups salsa criolla

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
In a blender, process the corn kernels with the cilantro leaves and
water. If necessary, add the Half & Half. You should get a smooth texture.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add eggs, salt, pepper, and sugar,
and stir to combine.
Grease the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8 pyrex or baking pan. Pour
half the corn mixture in the pyrex, add the grated queso fresco, and
cover with the remaining corn.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake for 1 hour.
Serve with salsa criolla.

I'd be darned sure some Hatch green chile found its way into mine, no
question about that...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The sugar is probably why I dislike it. I am not into sweet foods.

"casa bona" > wrote in message
> [...]
> 1 tablespoon sugar
> 1 cup coarsely grated queso fresco
> 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
> 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
> 2 cups salsa criolla
>
> Instructions
>
> Preheat the oven to 325F.
> In a blender, process the corn kernels with the cilantro leaves and
> water. If necessary, add the Half & Half. You should get a smooth texture.
> Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add eggs, salt, pepper, and sugar, and
> stir to combine.
> Grease the bottom and sides of an 8? x 8? pyrex or baking pan. Pour
> half the corn mixture in the pyrex, add the grated queso fresco, and cover
> with the remaining corn.
> Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
> Bake for 1 hour.
> Serve with salsa criolla.
>

> I'd be darned sure some Hatch green chile found its way into mine, no

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2013 4:46 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> The sugar is probably why I dislike it. I am not into sweet foods.

I prefer a typical tamale myself, but I have had some with just sweet
corn and green chile (no sugar) that are delicious.

It is also traditional to make sweet desert tamales which I do not care
for that much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 14:39:26 -0600, casa bona > wrote:

> salsa criolla

Thanks for the recipes, the first looks like it's to the point - the
second seems more like a corn pudding (delicious, but different). I
had to look up with salsa criolla is - and saved that recipe. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 16:52:25 -0600, casa bona > wrote:

> On 6/21/2013 4:46 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > The sugar is probably why I dislike it. I am not into sweet foods.
> >

> I prefer a typical tamale myself, but I have had some with just sweet
> corn and green chile (no sugar) that are delicious.
>
> It is also traditional to make sweet desert tamales which I do not care
> for that much.

I love corn tamales at Christmas! What I've had was sweet - but not
overly so, IMO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2013 5:31 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 14:39:26 -0600, casa bona > wrote:
>
>> salsa criolla

> Thanks for the recipes, the first looks like it's to the point - the
> second seems more like a corn pudding (delicious, but different). I
> had to look up with salsa criolla is - and saved that recipe. Thanks.

You're most welcome.

'Round here green chile finds its way into everything, so I had to see
if there was one I could tweak.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2013 5:33 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 16:52:25 -0600, casa bona > wrote:
>
>> On 6/21/2013 4:46 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> The sugar is probably why I dislike it. I am not into sweet foods.
>>>

>> I prefer a typical tamale myself, but I have had some with just sweet
>> corn and green chile (no sugar) that are delicious.
>>
>> It is also traditional to make sweet desert tamales which I do not care
>> for that much.

> I love corn tamales at Christmas! What I've had was sweet - but not
> overly so, IMO.

There are a lot of varieties out there, but for me it is the bizcochitos
that make the day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa bona" > wrote in message
> On 6/21/2013 4:46 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> The sugar is probably why I dislike it. I am not into sweet foods.
>>

> I prefer a typical tamale myself, but I have had some with just sweet corn
> and green chile (no sugar) that are delicious.
>
> It is also traditional to make sweet desert tamales which I do not care
> for that much.

Never had a dessert one. I like black bean ones but I've never seen them in
a restaurant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 6/21/2013 11:36 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "casa bona" > wrote in message
>> On 6/21/2013 4:46 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> The sugar is probably why I dislike it. I am not into sweet foods.
>>>

>> I prefer a typical tamale myself, but I have had some with just sweet corn
>> and green chile (no sugar) that are delicious.
>>
>> It is also traditional to make sweet desert tamales which I do not care
>> for that much.

> Never had a dessert one. I like black bean ones but I've never seen them in
> a restaurant.

Unintentional pun, as I live in a "desert", lol.

these cookies are a holiday tradition:

http://www.itsatrip.org/albuquerque/...ayrecipes.aspx

These spicy, anise-flavored cookies from New Mexico are rich, crisp, and
very easy to make. Biscochitos are the holiday cookie staple in New Mexico.

The Biscochito is New Mexicos Official State Cookie as declared by the
New Mexico Legislature in 1989. Biscochitos were first introduced to
Mexico by Spanish settlers who brought the recipe from Spain.

Stored in a tightly sealed container, they can be frozen up to six months.

Ingredients:

1 cups lard, chilled*
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
2 eggs
2 teaspoons anise seeds
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon salt
About 3 tablespoons brandy, apple juice, or milk*
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F. Beat lard and 1 cup sugar in a bowl until fluffy.
Add eggs and anise seeds, and beat until very light and fluffy. Sift
together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture along
with the brandy. Mix thoroughly to make a stiff dough. Place dough on a
long piece, about three feet of waxed paper at one end. Bring the long
end over the top and press to about one inch or slightly less in
thickness and refrigerate until chilled.)

Roll out dough between waxed paper to just under inch thickness. Cut
with flour dusted cutters into the traditional fleur de lis shape or
into 3-inch rounds. Combine the 3 remaining tablespoons sugar and the
cinnamon in a shallow bowl; dip unbaked cookies into the sugar-cinnamon
mixture on one side. Place cookies on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10
to 12 minutes or until tops of cookies are just firm. Cool cookies on
wire racks.

*Notes: Butter or margarine can be substituted for the lard, however the
cookies will not be as crisp and moist. Apple juice or milk can be
substituted for the brandy, however they are not quite as good.

Makes 4 dozen cookies

Sweet dessert tamales can be made with chocolate, mole sauce, a variety
of nuts, or even cinnamon and yes I have seen marshmallow filing.

I just don't like the profile of steamed corn with sweets.

That said, for those who do:

http://www.chow.com/recipes/27915-mexican-sweet-tamales

This recipe was featured as part of our Tamales for the Holidays project.
INGREDIENTS

35 corn husks
1 1/2 cups golden raisins, also known as sultanas
4 1/2 cups masa harina, such as Maseca
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons anise seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 3/4 cups water, at room temperature
3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 cup toasted pine nuts

INSTRUCTIONS

Place corn husks in a large bowl or baking dish, cover completely
with hot water, and weigh down with a plate or bowl to fully submerge.
Soak until husks are very pliable, at least 2 hours at room temperature
or overnight in the refrigerator. Drain, squeeze out excess water, and
wipe dry.
Place raisins in a small bowl, cover with hot water, and soak until
plumped, at least 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Place masa harina, salt, baking powder, anise seeds, and cinnamon
in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Pour in water and stir or mix with
your hands until the dough is wet throughout.
Place butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted
with a paddle attachment and beat on medium high until light in color
and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. With the mixer running, add dough in
handfuls, letting it mix in before adding more, until all the dough has
been added, about 2 minutes. Continue beating until ingredients are well
combined and a smooth, soft dough has formed, about 1 minute more.
Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in reserved raisins and nuts.
Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
Place a steamer basket in a large pot and fill the pot with enough
water to reach the bottom of the steamer. Cover and bring the water to a
simmer over low heat.
Lay a corn husk on a clean work surface with the wide edge toward
you (this is the bottom). Measure 1/3 cup dough and shape into a
cylinder about 3 inches long and 1 inch in diameter. Lay dough
lengthwise in the center of the husk, leaving about a 1/2-inch border at
the bottom.
Tightly close the left side of the husk over the filling and roll
to the right as if rolling a cigar. Fold the top of the husk (the empty,
tapered edge) back over the filled husk to close. (If your husks are
particularly small or they dont want to stay closed, use a bit of
butchers twine to tie them closed.) Repeat to make about 35 tamales.
Arrange tamales upright in the steamer with the open ends facing
up. If your steamer is too big to hold all of the tamales snugly
together, place a small heatproof bowl upside down in the center to
stabilize the tamales. Cover and steam until the dough is set, no longer
raw-tasting, and pulls away easily from the husks when unwrapped, about
1 1/2 to 2 hours. Turn the heat off and let the tamales rest for 15
minutes before serving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 19:02:53 -0600, casa bona > wrote:

> On 6/21/2013 5:33 PM, sf wrote:

> >> I prefer a typical tamale myself, but I have had some with just sweet
> >> corn and green chile (no sugar) that are delicious.
> >>
> >> It is also traditional to make sweet desert tamales which I do not care
> >> for that much.

> > I love corn tamales at Christmas! What I've had was sweet - but not
> > overly so, IMO.
> >

> There are a lot of varieties out there, but for me it is the bizcochitos
> that make the day.

I had to look that one up! Seems to be uniquely New Mexican, as so
many dishes down there are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2013 12:36 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "casa bona" > wrote in message
>> On 6/21/2013 4:46 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> The sugar is probably why I dislike it. I am not into sweet foods.
>>>

>> I prefer a typical tamale myself, but I have had some with just sweet corn
>> and green chile (no sugar) that are delicious.
>>
>> It is also traditional to make sweet desert tamales which I do not care
>> for that much.

> Never had a dessert one. I like black bean ones but I've never seen them in
> a restaurant.

Sweet tamales do not appeal to me, and I like cinnamon and raisins. I am
not fond of the rosa mexicana food coloring that makes them pink, it
just looks strange.

Becca

All about sweet corn Janet B General Cooking 1 27-07-2015 08:28 PM
Chevy's Sweet Corn Tamalito casa bona Recipes 1 25-09-2013 06:23 AM
Sweet Corn VegA Barbecue 2 03-07-2009 08:06 PM
Pan Seared Diver Scallops Braised in Sweet Butter with Sweet Corn and Rosemary Duckie Recipes 0 27-05-2006 07:45 PM