Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chocolate/raspberry milkshake

Very brown bananas (test to make sure they haven't gone sour)

Milk

Cocoa powder

Raspberry liqueur

Creme de cacao

Freeze the bananas half-way (they should still be soft to the touch - or you can keep sliced, solidly frozen bananas in the freezer and combine them with ones from the fridge or counter). Blend with other ingredients.

If you don't want alcohol, I THINK you can buy plain raspberry syrup - either at the supermarket or even a liquor store.

Or for a plain chocolate shake, one can leave out the last two ingredients - and maybe add a touch of vanilla.

The main benefit is, there's no added sugar - and it tastes like ice cream!

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 14, 2013 4:35:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> Very brown bananas (test to make sure they haven't gone sour)

It sounded appealing until you mentioned the overripe bananas.

> Lenona.

--Bryan
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Very brown bananas (test to make sure they haven't gone sour)

Milk

Cocoa powder

Raspberry liqueur

Creme de cacao

Freeze the bananas half-way (they should still be soft to the touch - or you can keep sliced, solidly frozen bananas in the freezer and combine them with ones from the fridge or counter). Blend with other ingredients.

If you don't want alcohol, I THINK you can buy plain raspberry syrup - either at the supermarket or even a liquor store.

Or for a plain chocolate shake, one can leave out the last two ingredients - and maybe add a touch of vanilla.

The main benefit is, there's no added sugar - and it tastes like ice cream!

Lenona.
Dang that sounds yummy. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 15, 2013 1:28:27 AM UTC-4, bigwheel wrote:

> Dang that sounds yummy. Thanks.

Thank you. If you're going to try it, let me know how your friends like it!

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

And I found out that syrup is about five times cheaper than liqueur (framboise). So I guess I'll stick to that.

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 12:26:30 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> And I found out that syrup is about five times cheaper than liqueur (framboise). So I guess I'll stick to that.

Context? What syrup?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:07:16 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:

> Context? What syrup?

Not sure if you're joking, but.....raspberry syrup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 2:37*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 14:25:06 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:07:16 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:

> > > Context? *What syrup?

> > Not sure if you're joking, but.....raspberry syrup.

> Thanks, I have no idea what you're talking about when you don't quote.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Maybe try reading the original post?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/16/13 2:42 PM, merryb wrote:

> Maybe try reading the original post?

Original posts are not always available. Some nntp servers have much
shorter retention periods than others, due to storage limitations.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/16/2013 3:33 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 6/16/13 2:42 PM, merryb wrote:
>
>> Maybe try reading the original post?

> Original posts are not always available. Some nntp servers have much
> shorter retention periods than others, due to storage limitations.
>
> -- Larry

Ever tried Google Groups?

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-06-16, James Silverton > wrote:

> Ever tried Google Groups?

There can be no doubt they are trying.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 11:42:14 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2:37*pm, sf > wrote:

> > > Not sure if you're joking, but.....raspberry syrup.

> > Thanks, I have no idea what you're talking about when you don't quote.
> >
> > --
> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> Maybe try reading the original post?

Even expanding headers didn't help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Jun 2013 19:55:08 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2013-06-16, James Silverton > wrote:
>
> > Ever tried Google Groups?

> There can be no doubt they are trying.

Not going to any more trouble than to expand headers for context...
when it ain't there - I am not digging any further.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 14, 2013 at 5:35:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> Very brown bananas (test to make sure they haven't gone sour)
>
> Milk
>
> Cocoa powder
>
> Raspberry liqueur
>
> Creme de cacao
>

> Freeze the bananas half-way (they should still be soft to the touch - or you can keep sliced, solidly frozen bananas in the freezer and combine them with ones from the fridge or counter). Blend with other ingredients.
>
> If you don't want alcohol, I THINK you can buy plain raspberry syrup - either at the supermarket or even a liquor store.
>
> Or for a plain chocolate shake, one can leave out the last two ingredients - and maybe add a touch of vanilla.
>
> The main benefit is, there's no added sugar - and it tastes like ice cream!
>

> Lenona.

(I had some this morning.)

As I said elsewhere, I never really measure, so it's different each time.

But while that's fine when it comes to using vanilla - or artificial vanilla - along with the cocoa powder, it's not a good idea with raspberry syrup. (I haven't made the smoothie with liqueur for ages, so I can't comment on that.)

So if you're only making a pint or so of the smoothie, I'd say start only with a half-teaspoon of that syrup - with or without the cocoa powder. Then you can add more if you want, without spoiling it.

Btw, the syrup is often found in supermarkets in the same aisle as canned milk and coffee. (Along with vanilla syrup and hazelnut syrup.)

Lenona.