Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dataw Club Dinner Special 6/13/2013

Wow! This is reasonable! Although I couldn't possibly eat half a
stuffed chicken.

Half Stuffed Chicken
Served with an apricot and Andouille sausage stuffing
opped with natural juices and served with mashed potato
and medley of vegetables
15.00

The head chef is allegedly from Ireland. Yet there are often items on
the menu which strongly hint at Cajun or Creole cuisine. Like the crab
cake sandwich the other day, served with spicy remoulade. Now stuffing
made with Andouille sausage. Hmmm. Maybe he's not Irish at all. Or
studied in Lousiana before coming here.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:01:51 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Wow! This is reasonable! Although I couldn't possibly eat half a
>stuffed chicken.
>
>Half Stuffed Chicken
>Served with an apricot and Andouille sausage stuffing
>opped with natural juices and served with mashed potato
>and medley of vegetables
>15.00

I wouldn't call a $30 chicken reasonable, probably a tiny chicken too.
I can buy a 6lb roaster for like 89¢ lb... can roast it whole, cut it
into parts and roast them all, or cut into parts and roast how much
one wants and freeze the rest. I can prepare that meal for about $3.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 13, 2:20*pm, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:01:51 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> >Wow! *This is reasonable! *Although I couldn't possibly eat half a
> >stuffed chicken.

> >Half Stuffed Chicken
> >Served with an apricot and Andouille sausage stuffing
> >opped with natural juices and served with mashed potato
> >and medley of vegetables
> >15.00

> I wouldn't call a $30 chicken reasonable, probably a tiny chicken too.
> I can buy a 6lb roaster for like 89¢ lb... can roast it whole, cut it
> into parts and roast them all, or cut into parts and roast how much
> one wants and freeze the rest. *I can prepare that meal for about $3.

Well lets see...someone has to get paid to wash the dishes, waite the
table, there's electricity, probably benefits to pay....and it's not a
$30 chicken. there's the ingrediants also.

But wait...why don't you apply for the job and work for free?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:20:31 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:01:51 -0400, jmcquown >
>
> wrote:
>

> >Wow! This is reasonable! Although I couldn't possibly eat half a

> >stuffed chicken.

> >Half Stuffed Chicken

> >Served with an apricot and Andouille sausage stuffing

> >opped with natural juices and served with mashed potato

> >and medley of vegetables

> >15.00

> I wouldn't call a $30 chicken reasonable, probably a tiny chicken too.
>
> I can buy a 6lb roaster for like 89¢ lb... can roast it whole, cut it
>
> into parts and roast them all, or cut into parts and roast how much
>
> one wants and freeze the rest. I can prepare that meal for about $3.

Moron. You are aware of the concept of a restaurant, no? A place where you eat that has overhead including, but not limited to employee salaries? And a chef who will not **** up the chicken like a catlady? If you made that meal, I wouldn't eat it if you paid me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2013 5:20 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:01:51 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Wow! This is reasonable! Although I couldn't possibly eat half a
>> stuffed chicken.
>>
>> Half Stuffed Chicken
>> Served with an apricot and Andouille sausage stuffing
>> opped with natural juices and served with mashed potato
>> and medley of vegetables
>> 15.00

> I wouldn't call a $30 chicken reasonable, probably a tiny chicken too.
> I can buy a 6lb roaster for like 89¢ lb... can roast it whole, cut it
> into parts and roast them all, or cut into parts and roast how much
> one wants and freeze the rest. I can prepare that meal for about $3.

Don't recognize sarcasm? Most likely a half a cornish game hen or
perhaps a chicken breast half on the bone. I still don't understand the
"Cajun" angle from this alleged Irish chef.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/06/2013 4:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Wow! This is reasonable! Although I couldn't possibly eat half a
> stuffed chicken.
>
> Half Stuffed Chicken
> Served with an apricot and Andouille sausage stuffing
> opped with natural juices and served with mashed potato
> and medley of vegetables
> 15.00
>
> The head chef is allegedly from Ireland. Yet there are often items on
> the menu which strongly hint at Cajun or Creole cuisine. Like the crab
> cake sandwich the other day, served with spicy remoulade. Now stuffing
> made with Andouille sausage. Hmmm. Maybe he's not Irish at all. Or
> studied in Lousiana before coming here.

Maybe he is just a drunk, so an honourary Irishman on St. Patrick's day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 21:01:36 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/13/2013 5:20 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:01:51 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Wow! This is reasonable! Although I couldn't possibly eat half a
>>> stuffed chicken.
>>>
>>> Half Stuffed Chicken
>>> Served with an apricot and Andouille sausage stuffing
>>> opped with natural juices and served with mashed potato
>>> and medley of vegetables
>>> 15.00

>> I wouldn't call a $30 chicken reasonable, probably a tiny chicken too.
>> I can buy a 6lb roaster for like 89¢ lb... can roast it whole, cut it
>> into parts and roast them all, or cut into parts and roast how much
>> one wants and freeze the rest. I can prepare that meal for about $3.
>>

>Don't recognize sarcasm? Most likely a half a cornish game hen or
>perhaps a chicken breast half on the bone. I still don't understand the
>"Cajun" angle from this alleged Irish chef.
>
>Jill

Half a chicken for $15 is expensive when any deli sells a whole
rotisserie chicken for $5.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On 6/13/2013 5:20 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:01:51 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Wow! This is reasonable! Although I couldn't possibly eat half a
> >> stuffed chicken.
> >>
> >> Half Stuffed Chicken
> >> Served with an apricot and Andouille sausage stuffing
> >> opped with natural juices and served with mashed potato
> >> and medley of vegetables
> >> 15.00

> > I wouldn't call a $30 chicken reasonable, probably a tiny chicken too.
> > I can buy a 6lb roaster for like 89¢ lb... can roast it whole, cut it
> > into parts and roast them all, or cut into parts and roast how much
> > one wants and freeze the rest. I can prepare that meal for about $3.
> >

> Don't recognize sarcasm? Most likely a half a cornish game hen or
> perhaps a chicken breast half on the bone. I still don't understand the
> "Cajun" angle from this alleged Irish chef.

I didn't understand how you can stuff half a chicken, but chalked it
up to the idiosyncrasies of the Dataw Club menu writer.
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 21:01:36 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 6/13/2013 5:20 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> I wouldn't call a $30 chicken reasonable, probably a tiny chicken too.
>>> I can buy a 6lb roaster for like 89¢ lb... can roast it whole, cut it
>>> into parts and roast them all, or cut into parts and roast how much
>>> one wants and freeze the rest. I can prepare that meal for about $3.
>>>

>>Don't recognize sarcasm? Most likely a half a cornish game hen or
>>perhaps a chicken breast half on the bone. I still don't understand the
>>"Cajun" angle from this alleged Irish chef.
>>
>>Jill

> Half a chicken for $15 is expensive when any deli sells a whole
> rotisserie chicken for $5.

But, overheads - ie salaries, buildings costs etc? If we all noted how
much we pay for foods, no one would ever eat out.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 21:01:36 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/13/2013 5:20 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> > I wouldn't call a $30 chicken reasonable, probably a tiny chicken too.
>> > I can buy a 6lb roaster for like 89¢ lb... can roast it whole, cut it
>> > into parts and roast them all, or cut into parts and roast how much
>> > one wants and freeze the rest. I can prepare that meal for about $3.
>> >

>> Don't recognize sarcasm? Most likely a half a cornish game hen or
>> perhaps a chicken breast half on the bone. I still don't understand the
>> "Cajun" angle from this alleged Irish chef.
>>

> I didn't understand how you can stuff half a chicken, but chalked it
> up to the idiosyncrasies of the Dataw Club menu writer.
>> Jill

I guess if you laid it on its side, cut side up, you could.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2013 5:37 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 21:01:36 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

(snipped self)

>> Half a chicken for $15 is expensive when any deli sells a whole
>> rotisserie chicken for $5.

> But, overheads - ie salaries, buildings costs etc? If we all noted how
> much we pay for foods, no one would ever eat out.

That's quite true, Ophelia!

I haven't seen a roaster for 89¢/lb in years. (This must be akin to
those corned beef briskets other people say they can buy for $2/1b.
I've sure never seen prices like that.) The last roaster I bought was
at least $1.19/lb and that was almost two years ago.

A rotisserie chicken costs more like $8 at Publix. Add another $3
(conservative) for the andouille sausage. Throw in some vegetables for
the stuffing and the sides, another $2-3. Sure, I'd have a bunch
leftovers for the freezer. I'd also have to do most of the work. I
don't mind that, of course. But as far as dinner specials go,
price-wise $15 is on the low end of the scale.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 14, 2013 2:17:17 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 21:01:36 -0400, jmcquown >
>
> wrote:
>

> > On 6/13/2013 5:20 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> > > I wouldn't call a $30 chicken reasonable, probably a tiny chicken too..

> > > I can buy a 6lb roaster for like 89¢ lb... can roast it whole, cut it

> > > into parts and roast them all, or cut into parts and roast how much

> > > one wants and freeze the rest. I can prepare that meal for about $3.

> > Don't recognize sarcasm? Most likely a half a cornish game hen or

> > perhaps a chicken breast half on the bone. I still don't understand the

> > "Cajun" angle from this alleged Irish chef.

> I didn't understand how you can stuff half a chicken, but chalked it
>
> up to the idiosyncrasies of the Dataw Club menu writer.
>
> > Jill

> --
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Are you people all terminally stupid? Stuffing. Not Stuffed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:43:46 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 21:01:36 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> Don't recognize sarcasm? Most likely a half a cornish game hen or
> >> perhaps a chicken breast half on the bone. I still don't understand the
> >> "Cajun" angle from this alleged Irish chef.
> >>

> > I didn't understand how you can stuff half a chicken, but chalked it
> > up to the idiosyncrasies of the Dataw Club menu writer.

> I guess if you laid it on its side, cut side up, you could.

I was thinking maybe they put half a chicken on top of a pile of
dressing and cooked it that way. Either way, it's not anywhere near
what I consider stuffed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:37:05 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> >
> > Half a chicken for $15 is expensive when any deli sells a whole
> > rotisserie chicken for $5.

> But, overheads - ie salaries, buildings costs etc? If we all noted how
> much we pay for foods, no one would ever eat out.
> --

Whole roasted deli chicken has gone the way of the Dodo bird. Maybe
Costco still sells it for $5, but it's $8 everywhere else and $10 if
you want organic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:43:46 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > I didn't understand how you can stuff half a chicken, but chalked it
>> > up to the idiosyncrasies of the Dataw Club menu writer.

>> I guess if you laid it on its side, cut side up, you could.
>>

> I was thinking maybe they put half a chicken on top of a pile of
> dressing and cooked it that way. Either way, it's not anywhere near
> what I consider stuffed.

Well it's the only thing I can think of.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "sf" > wrote:
> > I didn't understand how you can stuff half a chicken, but chalked it
> > up to the idiosyncrasies of the Dataw Club menu writer.

> I guess if you laid it on its side, cut side up, you could.

It's a restaurant. They serve more than one. You would stuff a whole
chicken, cook it, then turn that into 2 meals.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> But as far as dinner specials go,
> price-wise $15 is on the low end of the scale.

I agree. That's not bad for a restaurant. 1/2 chicken, stuffing, mashed
potatoes, and vegetables. I hope they added a butter kaiser roll to that
though. ;-o

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2013 7:38 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> That's quite true, Ophelia!
>
> I haven't seen a roaster for 89¢/lb in years. (This must be akin to
> those corned beef briskets other people say they can buy for $2/1b.
> I've sure never seen prices like that.) The last roaster I bought was
> at least $1.19/lb and that was almost two years ago.

It is a regional thing. We regularly buy whole chickens for .89 cents a
pouind at Aldi's... and the sale price at local markets is usually .77
cents a pouind. We eat lots of chicken. <vbg>

Whole brisket is on sale this week for $1.37 a pond. Put one in the
freezer. When pork butts come on sale, I'll get two and then load up
the smoker.

> A rotisserie chicken costs more like $8 at Publix. Add another $3
> (conservative) for the andouille sausage. Throw in some vegetables for
> the stuffing and the sides, another $2-3. Sure, I'd have a bunch
> leftovers for the freezer. I'd also have to do most of the work. I
> don't mind that, of course. But as far as dinner specials go,
> price-wise $15 is on the low end of the scale.

$15 for a half chicken dinner is pretty high for this area... but then,
you are not in rural Texas. At one of my favorite BBQ places, I think a
half chicken dinner with a salad and 2 sides is usually $8.95. But that
is a BBQ joint... no table cloths, no waiters, etc. (The same place has
AYCE ribs, fries and cole slaw every Sunday for $9.95)

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Whole roasted deli chicken has gone the way of the Dodo bird. Maybe
> Costco still sells it for $5, but it's $8 everywhere else and $10 if
> you want organic.

I bought one recently for $6. I hadn't had one in over 20 years and I was
disappointed. They cook them now until done, then take them out and put in
a container for sale.

Do y'all remember the old days when they put the chickens in the rotisserie
thing early in the morning and they just stayed in there all day long? My
old A&P store did this. If you bought one in the late afternoon, it was way
overcooked....grab a drumstick and the bone just slides out.

Those were the best chickens ever to me. I loved that "melt in your mouth"
overcooking.

I'll try another grocery store rotisserie chicken...maybe they will do it
the old overcooked good way.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:46:52 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote:
>> > I didn't understand how you can stuff half a chicken, but chalked it
>> > up to the idiosyncrasies of the Dataw Club menu writer.

>> I guess if you laid it on its side, cut side up, you could.

>It's a restaurant. They serve more than one. You would stuff a whole
>chicken, cook it, then turn that into 2 meals.

Restos cook the dressing separately, then place a scoop with each half
chicken. On Lung Guyland Duck L'Orange is a very popular resto
choice, the dressing was always spooned onto the plate, the half duck
atop, slathered with orangey gravy, and garnished with a green
marachino cherry. Was very good if you liked duck, and relatively
inexpensive, a full meal including soup/salad and dessert; ~$10. They
made their profit on beverages... most folk's bar tab was twice the
price of their meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:46:18 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> Whole roasted deli chicken has gone the way of the Dodo bird. Maybe
>> Costco still sells it for $5, but it's $8 everywhere else and $10 if
>> you want organic.

>I bought one recently for $6. I hadn't had one in over 20 years and I was
>disappointed. They cook them now until done, then take them out and put in
>a container for sale.
>
>Do y'all remember the old days when they put the chickens in the rotisserie
>thing early in the morning and they just stayed in there all day long? My
>old A&P store did this. If you bought one in the late afternoon, it was way
>overcooked....grab a drumstick and the bone just slides out.
>
>Those were the best chickens ever to me. I loved that "melt in your mouth"
>overcooking.
>
>I'll try another grocery store rotisserie chicken...maybe they will do it
>the old overcooked good way.
>
>Gary

Best to roast your own chicken at home... those rotisserie birds are
cheap 'cause they're past their sell-by date... every stupidmarket
deli rotisseries chickens that are past their sell-by date. The few
times I bought one it was way too salty and not at all cleaned, all
those guts were still dangling inside. It's easy to buy a 6-7lb
roasting chicken for $5, quarter or eigth it and roast it at home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 08:38:30 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/14/2013 5:37 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message

>(snipped self)
>>>
>>> Half a chicken for $15 is expensive when any deli sells a whole
>>> rotisserie chicken for $5.

>> But, overheads - ie salaries, buildings costs etc? If we all noted how
>> much we pay for foods, no one would ever eat out.

>That's quite true, Ophelia!

There's negligable overhead costs to rotisserie dozens of chickens at
once... those chickens are cheap because restos buy up those birds at
less than half price when past their sell-by date.

>I haven't seen a roaster for 89¢/lb in years.

Hardly a week passes that some brand of roasting chicken isn't on sale
at less than a buck a pound. The cheap chicken brings folks into the
store, the big profit is made on all the other items folks buy along
with the sale chicken... practically no one leaves the market without
dropping at least a C note.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2013 12:31 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:46:52 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>>> I guess if you laid it on its side, cut side up, you could.

>> It's a restaurant. They serve more than one. You would stuff a whole
>> chicken, cook it, then turn that into 2 meals.

> Restos cook the dressing separately, then place a scoop with each half
> chicken. On Lung Guyland Duck L'Orange is a very popular resto
> choice, the dressing was always spooned onto the plate

Yeah yeah, but I'm not living in Lung Guyland (or Brooklyn or upstate
NY) and this isn't a Chinese joint. It's not the same kind of dressing.
It's stuffing. I can picture it being stuffed into an already cooked
half of a chicken. Not that I'd ever serve it that way. But I'm pretty
sure it wasn't on the side.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14/06/2013 12:41 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Best to roast your own chicken at home... those rotisserie birds are
> cheap 'cause they're past their sell-by date... every stupidmarket
> deli rotisseries chickens that are past their sell-by date.

Oh?? Most of the rotisserie birds I see in the local grocery stores tend
to be smaller than the birds they sell, and the often have more
rotisserie birds in the go than fresh birds on the shelves. And who
cares anyway of the bird is at its best before date? It is not going to
sit in your fridge for a few days growing more bacteria untilyou get
around to cooking it. It's getting cooked and sanitized in the
rotisserie and that will extend it's life. More important, they are a
quick and delicious meal, and there may be some tasty leftovers.

> The few
> times I bought one it was way too salty and not at all cleaned, all
> those guts were still dangling inside. It's easy to buy a 6-7lb
> roasting chicken for $5, quarter or eigth it and roast it at home.

The times I have bought them they have been delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 13:47:43 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:41:51 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:
>
>>On 6/14/2013 7:38 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> That's quite true, Ophelia!
>>>
>>> I haven't seen a roaster for 89¢/lb in years. (This must be akin to
>>> those corned beef briskets other people say they can buy for $2/1b.
>>> I've sure never seen prices like that.) The last roaster I bought was
>>> at least $1.19/lb and that was almost two years ago.

>>It is a regional thing. We regularly buy whole chickens for .89 cents a
>>pouind at Aldi's... and the sale price at local markets is usually .77
>>cents a pouind. We eat lots of chicken. <vbg>
>>
>>Whole brisket is on sale this week for $1.37 a pond. Put one in the
>>freezer. When pork butts come on sale, I'll get two and then load up
>>the smoker.
>>
>>> A rotisserie chicken costs more like $8 at Publix. Add another $3
>>> (conservative) for the andouille sausage. Throw in some vegetables for
>>> the stuffing and the sides, another $2-3. Sure, I'd have a bunch
>>> leftovers for the freezer. I'd also have to do most of the work. I
>>> don't mind that, of course. But as far as dinner specials go,
>>> price-wise $15 is on the low end of the scale.

>>$15 for a half chicken dinner is pretty high for this area... but then,
>>you are not in rural Texas. At one of my favorite BBQ places, I think a
>>half chicken dinner with a salad and 2 sides is usually $8.95. But that
>>is a BBQ joint... no table cloths, no waiters, etc. (The same place has
>>AYCE ribs, fries and cole slaw every Sunday for $9.95)
>>
>>George L

>George, it's really silly to compare prices at a golf course club
>house with prices where normal folks fill up on chicken n' ribs. The
>resto in this redneck town has a steady weekend special; a whole rack
>of ribs with half a chicken and fries and a salad for $10.99... folks
>typically split it. Beverages natcherly are extra and most folks drop
>twice the price of their meal on pitchers of beer. The Tops
>stupidmarket here in town has spare ribs on sale this week for
>$1.29/lb, of course you gotta cook em yourself but pork ain't
>expensive anywhere 'cept at a golf course... food at the local golf
>courses around here is very pricey too, even more expensive at the ski
>lodges; a tiny styrofoam cup of chili (likely canned, watered down)
>costs $6. The golf courses here sell bottled water; 500ml/$3.25.
>They also have free ice water dispensed from a five gallon contractor's
>thermos but mostly the snobs prefer to be seen with that pricey bottled water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> > The few
>> times I bought one it was way too salty and not at all cleaned, all
>> those guts were still dangling inside. It's easy to buy a 6-7lb
>> roasting chicken for $5, quarter or eigth it and roast it at home.

>The times I have bought them they have been delicious.

TIAD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 13:55:38 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> The times I have bought them they have been delicious.

IMO, both the rub and the way they cook chicken has improved. I used
to avoid rotisserie chicken because if I didn't buy it at the
beginning of the day, it had been under the heating lamps so long it
was dry and stringy... and the rub was just plain salty. However,
they've learned to roast them throughout the day and to not put so
much salt in the rub. I eat and enjoy them now, which is a good thing
because hubby likes to buy one every now and then for his lunch -
which means there's chicken meat do turn into dinner and bones to turn
into stock. The last time I made stock (two weeks ago), I threw in
all of the pre-seasoned skin and it was a good call. Chicken skin &
bones, carrots, celery, onion (skin and all) made a delicious broth
after it simmered all night long.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:41:51 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

> It is a regional thing. We regularly buy whole chickens for .89 cents a
> pouind at Aldi's... and the sale price at local markets is usually .77
> cents a pouind. We eat lots of chicken. <vbg>

If I could get whole chickens at that price on a regular basis, I'd
still be buying whole and butchering them myself (removing all the
bones while I'm at it), but whole chicken here is so expensive these
days that I just wait for a sale and buy boneless-skinless thighs
because that's what I like best.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>I just wait for a sale and buy boneless-skinless cellulite thighs
>because that's what I like best.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14/06/2013 4:37 PM, sf wrote:

> If I could get whole chickens at that price on a regular basis, I'd
> still be buying whole and butchering them myself (removing all the
> bones while I'm at it), but whole chicken here is so expensive these
> days that I just wait for a sale and buy boneless-skinless thighs
> because that's what I like best.

I can use skinless thighs and drumsticks for Tandoori Chicken. It is
supposed to use skinless chicken, but it is pierced to the bone for
marinating, and my experience after using boneless and bone in, I prefer
bone in. I check the price. If there is a small difference I will get
the skinless, but if they are charging a lot to remove the skin I will
just pull it off myself. It is not a big job.