Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default 8 nutrition myths and why they aren't true.

Popular Science has a great article about nutrition myths and
conventional wisdom that just aren't true.

Let the debate begin !!

http://www.popsci.com/node/74033/edit
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-06-10, ImStillMags > wrote:
> Popular Science has a great article about nutrition myths and

Yeah. Pop Sci is where I go for definitive info on nutrition. Zat
come with a gas weed whacker?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 10, 7:46*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2013-06-10, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > Popular Science has a great article about nutrition myths and

> Yeah. *Pop Sci is where I go for definitive info on nutrition. *Zat
> come with a gas weed whacker?
>
> nb

Did you bother to read it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Uh-oh. I predict a very long thread starting. Let the games begin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Susan" > wrote in message

> Yannow, debating folks whose entire argument is "I don't believe in it, so
> you're a kook because I say so and I'm too lazy to read or think" is not
> my idea of a good time.

> Susan

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner! :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-06-10, Susan > wrote:

> Yannow, debating folks whose entire argument is "I don't believe in it,

I needed to read no more than a few lines:

"-Fructose vs. Glucose: Fructose is more likely to stimulate hunger,
increase abdominal obesity and insulin resistance, compared to the
same amount of calories from glucose (1, 2, 3)."

.....then, going to the first reference:

"Although both groups exhibited similar weight gain..."

So, which is it? A calorie IS a calorie or is NOT a calorie. Can't
have it both ways. If they both cause "similar weight gain", wtf is
the difference? I don't care if it's abdominal obesity, mammary
obesity, or rolls on the back of my neck, its still freakin' obesity!
You wanna read how PopSci can split hairs, knock yerself out
(please!). I got better things to do.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 10, 2013 4:34:08 AM UTC-10, ImStillMags wrote:
> Popular Science has a great article about nutrition myths and
>
> conventional wisdom that just aren't true.
>

> Let the debate begin !!
>

> http://www.popsci.com/node/74033/edit

I like Popular Science. It was the mag of choice for geeky kids of my generation and my parents encouraged me to read it - a copy would come in every month with my name one it. I did not realize it at the time but they were paying for it for years. My parents were sneaky in that way. I haven't read it in years. Good article. You'll get no debate from me - although I am saddened by the news that butter and eggs are not deadly poisons.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Monday, June 10, 2013 4:34:08 AM UTC-10, ImStillMags wrote:
>> Popular Science has a great article about nutrition myths and
>>
>> conventional wisdom that just aren't true.
>>

>> Let the debate begin !!
>>

>> http://www.popsci.com/node/74033/edit

> I like Popular Science. It was the mag of choice for geeky kids of my
> generation and my parents encouraged me to read it - a copy would come in
> every month with my name one it. I did not realize it at the time but they
> were paying for it for years. My parents were sneaky in that way. I
> haven't read it in years. Good article. You'll get no debate from me -
> although I am saddened by the news that butter and eggs are not deadly
> poisons.

<g>

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/10/2013 10:34 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
> Popular Science has a great article about nutrition myths and
> conventional wisdom that just aren't true.
>
> Let the debate begin !!
>
> http://www.popsci.com/node/74033/edit

Kaspersky HATED that link. Too bad.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 6/10/2013 10:34 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
>> Popular Science has a great article about nutrition myths and
>> conventional wisdom that just aren't true.
>>
>> Let the debate begin !!
>>
>> http://www.popsci.com/node/74033/edit
>>

> Kaspersky HATED that link. Too bad.
>
> nancy

That's odd. Mine didn't even blink!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> Popular Science has a great article about nutrition myths and
> conventional wisdom that just aren't true.
>
> Let the debate begin !!
>
> http://www.popsci.com/node/74033/edit

The low carb and sat fat stuff will set some tongues a waggin'!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/10/2013 5:20 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> On 6/10/2013 10:34 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
>>> Popular Science has a great article about nutrition myths and
>>> conventional wisdom that just aren't true.
>>>
>>> Let the debate begin !!
>>>
>>> http://www.popsci.com/node/74033/edit
>>>

>> Kaspersky HATED that link. Too bad.

> That's odd. Mine didn't even blink!

I got the big red box of Access Denied and notices
of malware. Okay, then.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 6/10/2013 5:20 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Kaspersky HATED that link. Too bad.

>> That's odd. Mine didn't even blink!

> I got the big red box of Access Denied and notices
> of malware. Okay, then.

Blimey

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 6/10/2013 5:20 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Kaspersky HATED that link. Too bad.

>> That's odd. Mine didn't even blink!

> I got the big red box of Access Denied and notices
> of malware. Okay, then.
>
> nancy

Hmmm... Worked for me with Norton and Malwarebytes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 4:20*pm, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>

> >>http://www.popsci.com/node/74033/edit

> > Kaspersky HATED that link. *Too bad.

> > nancy

> That's odd. * Mine didn't even blink!

Nor mine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 18:06:16 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 6/10/2013 5:20 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> >> Kaspersky HATED that link. Too bad.

> > That's odd. Mine didn't even blink!

> I got the big red box of Access Denied and notices
> of malware. Okay, then.

I have something on my computer that springs up to warn me of bad
sites and that one didn't trigger it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

>>> That's odd. Mine didn't even blink!

>> I got the big red box of Access Denied and notices
>> of malware. Okay, then.
>>
>> nancy

> Hmmm... Worked for me with Norton and Malwarebytes.

The odd thing is, both she and I run Kaspersky!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/2013 4:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> The odd thing is, both she and I run Kaspersky!

I'm still a little on edge about malware attacks, it's
disturbing to have your computer taken over by an unseen
force. When you're not doing anything and your CPU usage
is 95%, What is it Doing.

So when I get a forceful note that the site has malware,
I'm not going to argue. Perhaps something was attempting
to attack that site at the same time I clicked on it.
Farfetched.

Or maybe I still have something bad lurking on my pc.
Ahhh!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 6/11/2013 4:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> The odd thing is, both she and I run Kaspersky!

> I'm still a little on edge about malware attacks, it's
> disturbing to have your computer taken over by an unseen
> force. When you're not doing anything and your CPU usage
> is 95%, What is it Doing.

You are quite right to be concerned.

> So when I get a forceful note that the site has malware,
> I'm not going to argue.

Nope!

Perhaps something was attempting
> to attack that site at the same time I clicked on it.
> Farfetched.

Maybe, maybe not, but certainly not something to ignore.

> Or maybe I still have something bad lurking on my pc.
> Ahhh!

(( Given that we haven't had a problem, I do think you need to have it
looked it.

Report back if you have any more problems accessing sites and I will try
them on mine too.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/2013 7:55 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Or maybe I still have something bad lurking on my pc.
>> Ahhh!

> (( Given that we haven't had a problem, I do think you need to have
> it looked it.

I went onto my laptop and changed all of my important passwords
and I only link to them there now. So I'm not as concerned as
I could be. In the meantime, most things seem to be running normally.

> Report back if you have any more problems accessing sites and I will try
> them on mine too.

Thank you so much, you're very nice to offer. Appreciated.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Jun 2013 14:17:31 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> NoScript works. Don't leave yer homepage without it!

Agreed. There's also the Flashblock addon. Install both and you'll
sleep better at night, Nancy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashblock

I also use an ad blocker - in my case: AdBlock Plus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adblock_Plus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/10/2013 11:58 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-06-10, Susan > wrote:
>
>> Yannow, debating folks whose entire argument is "I don't believe in it,

> I needed to read no more than a few lines:
>
> "-Fructose vs. Glucose: Fructose is more likely to stimulate hunger,
> increase abdominal obesity and insulin resistance, compared to the
> same amount of calories from glucose (1, 2, 3)."
>
> ....then, going to the first reference:
>
> "Although both groups exhibited similar weight gain..."
>
> So, which is it? A calorie IS a calorie or is NOT a calorie. Can't
> have it both ways. If they both cause "similar weight gain", wtf is
> the difference? I don't care if it's abdominal obesity, mammary
> obesity, or rolls on the back of my neck, its still freakin' obesity!
> You wanna read how PopSci can split hairs, knock yerself out
> (please!). I got better things to do.
>
> nb

I guess I'll have to read the article now. Not that I really care
what someone (or someones) published in Popular Science thinks about
what or how I eat.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/2013 2:15 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 18:06:16 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>>> That's odd. Mine didn't even blink!

>> I got the big red box of Access Denied and notices
>> of malware. Okay, then.
>>

> I have something on my computer that springs up to warn me of bad
> sites and that one didn't trigger it.

Meaning, the malware was probably from a third party script, most
likely an ad. Since ad servers provide ads on a rotating basis, odds
are the ad that loaded when Nancy visited the page was not the same ad
as was loaded when you visited the page.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2013 12:18 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> On 6/11/2013 2:15 AM, sf wrote:

>> I have something on my computer that springs up to warn me of bad
>> sites and that one didn't trigger it.
>>

> Meaning, the malware was probably from a third party script, most likely
> an ad. Since ad servers provide ads on a rotating basis, odds are the ad
> that loaded when Nancy visited the page was not the same ad as was
> loaded when you visited the page.

Ha, that's similar to an idea I posted, but I thought the idea was
probably unlikely. The way you put it makes sense. Thanks.

nancy

Experienced Member

Location: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStillMags View Post
Popular Science has a great article about nutrition myths and
conventional wisdom that just aren't true.

Let the debate begin !!

8 Ridiculous Nutrition Myths Debunked | Popular Science

We shouldn't just rely on this myths.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 10, 2013 9:34:08 AM UTC-5, ImStillMags wrote:
> Popular Science has a great article about nutrition myths and
>
> conventional wisdom that just aren't true.
>

> Let the debate begin !!
>

> http://www.popsci.com/node/74033/edit

I posted the link to the article on my FB page. Thanks.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nancy Young > wrote:

> On 6/11/2013 4:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
> > The odd thing is, both she and I run Kaspersky!

> I'm still a little on edge about malware attacks, it's
> disturbing to have your computer taken over by an unseen
> force. When you're not doing anything and your CPU usage
> is 95%, What is it Doing.
>
> So when I get a forceful note that the site has malware,
> I'm not going to argue. Perhaps something was attempting
> to attack that site at the same time I clicked on it.
> Farfetched.
>
> Or maybe I still have something bad lurking on my pc.
> Ahhh!
>
> nancy

That's why I use a Mac. Near 30 years of Mac use without any anti-virus
software at all. Never a problem. That web site opened up fine for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Nancy Young > wrote:
>
>> On 6/11/2013 4:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> > The odd thing is, both she and I run Kaspersky!

>> I'm still a little on edge about malware attacks, it's
>> disturbing to have your computer taken over by an unseen
>> force. When you're not doing anything and your CPU usage
>> is 95%, What is it Doing.

Possibly both programmes are working together/differently/against each
other? Whatever it is, they are both hitting CPU usage looking at the same
data.

> That's why I use a Mac. Near 30 years of Mac use without any anti-virus
> software at all. Never a problem. That web site opened up fine for me.

The website opened fine for me too and I am using Kaspersky on a PC

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/