Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default THIRTY people infected with Hepatitis A after frozen berry mixfrom Costco sparks national outbreak | Mail Online

On 2013-06-02, Sqwertz > wrote:

> But they're ANTIOXIDANT berries! How can that happen?

Obviously, not anti-accident berries.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Jun 2013 22:39:53 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2013-06-02, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> > But they're ANTIOXIDANT berries! How can that happen?

> Obviously, not anti-accident berries.

I considered buying a bag of frozen mixed berries at Costco this week,
but it wasn't that brand. I'm glad I didn't now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On 2 Jun 2013 22:39:53 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2013-06-02, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>> > But they're ANTIOXIDANT berries! How can that happen?

>> Obviously, not anti-accident berries.
>>

> I considered buying a bag of frozen mixed berries at Costco this week,
> but it wasn't that brand. I'm glad I didn't now.

I bought those several times when Angela was making smoothies. Thankfully
she's not making them now!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/2/2013 7:17 PM, sf wrote:
> I considered buying a bag of frozen mixed berries at Costco this week,
> but it wasn't that brand. I'm glad I didn't now.

The good news is that your chances are slim that you'll get hepatitis A
from a bag of berries. The bad news is that getting into a car to drive
to Costco can kill or maim you. Compared to cars, berries are pretty
safe, at least, I've never heard of a berry killing more than 30
thousand people a year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 07:06:41 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 6/2/2013 7:17 PM, sf wrote:
> > I considered buying a bag of frozen mixed berries at Costco this week,
> > but it wasn't that brand. I'm glad I didn't now.
> >

> The good news is that your chances are slim that you'll get hepatitis A
> from a bag of berries.

I see they tracked it down.
http://www.oregonlive.com/health/ind...in_five_s.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2013 11:51 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 07:06:41 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 6/2/2013 7:17 PM, sf wrote:
>>> I considered buying a bag of frozen mixed berries at Costco this week,
>>> but it wasn't that brand. I'm glad I didn't now.
>>>

>> The good news is that your chances are slim that you'll get hepatitis A
>> from a bag of berries.

> I see they tracked it down.
> http://www.oregonlive.com/health/ind...in_five_s.html

The good news is that frozen berries are kind of yucky and you don't
want to be eating those things anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 6/3/2013 11:51 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 07:06:41 -1000, dsi1
>> > wrote:

>>> The good news is that your chances are slim that you'll get hepatitis A
>>> from a bag of berries.

>> I see they tracked it down.
>> http://www.oregonlive.com/health/ind...in_five_s.html
>>

> The good news is that frozen berries are kind of yucky and you don't want
> to be eating those things anyway.

I can't say frozen berries are something I have bought. I eat them in
season but only fresh.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> I can't say frozen berries are something I have bought. I eat them in
> season but only fresh.

We had them all the time when I was a kid. For some reason, my mom liked to
eat them in the frozen form. Mostly we bought them that way except for the
year when my parents got the use of a large upright freezer. Then we picked
raspberries and strawberries and froze them.

My daughter likes to use them for smoothies but she is currently off of
smoothies. They work well when frozen because then you don't have to add
ice and you'll get a thicker smoothie.

It can be hard to get good fresh berries here. Can't tell you how many
times I have bought strawberries only to find out that they were sour or
almost woody and flavorless. Once in a while they are good. Or they'll be
partially spoiled or spoil quickly after I buy them. They are usually
packaged now to where you can't sort through them to choose the good ones.
Often they are in a clam pack or sealed in plastic. You just get what you
get.

I did buy assorted frozen berries when pregnant because I was supposed to
eat 5 servings of fruit. I never achieved that because I just don't like
fruit. But the frozen stuff worked well for me because I could take a
little bit out at a time. I tried to disguise it by making some sugar free
pie filling recipe that involved sugar free Jell-O and sugar free Jell-O
pudding. I don't actually like Jell-O or pudding but the end result was
somewhat tolerable to me. I put it up in little 3 oz cups. I sort of looked
at it like medicine. It wasn't as overwhelming for me to deal with a tiny
cup like that as it would be to try to eat a whole apple or pear. And it
was cold and refreshing for the summer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2013 5:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> I can't say frozen berries are something I have bought. I eat them in
> season but only fresh.

When berries are in season, I'll buy a bunch and freeze them.
They're great in smoothies, for one thing. Blueberry pancakes.
Etc.

I don't normally buy them frozen but I certainly have.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 6/4/2013 5:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> I can't say frozen berries are something I have bought. I eat them in
>> season but only fresh.

> When berries are in season, I'll buy a bunch and freeze them.
> They're great in smoothies, for one thing. Blueberry pancakes.
> Etc.

Yes, I sometimes freeze berries I picked if I have a lot.

> I don't normally buy them frozen but I certainly have.

Oddly enough, it's not something I have thought to do. The ones I freeze I
tend to use in puddings (brit style puddings) but only to use them up.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 22:51:53 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 6/3/2013 11:51 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 07:06:41 -1000, dsi1
> > > wrote:

> >> The good news is that your chances are slim that you'll get hepatitis A
> >> from a bag of berries.

> > I see they tracked it down.
> > http://www.oregonlive.com/health/ind...in_five_s.html
> >

> The good news is that frozen berries are kind of yucky and you don't
> want to be eating those things anyway.

What I heard is they were being sold for smoothies. I've made yogurt
based smoothies with Trader Joe's frozen berries and they were
delicious.

BTW: They tracked it to the pomegranate seeds, which came from Turkey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 10:08:16 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> > On 6/3/2013 11:51 AM, sf wrote:
> >> On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 07:06:41 -1000, dsi1

> >> I see they tracked it down.
> >> http://www.oregonlive.com/health/ind...in_five_s.html
> >>

> > The good news is that frozen berries are kind of yucky and you don't want
> > to be eating those things anyway.

> I can't say frozen berries are something I have bought. I eat them in
> season but only fresh.

These were intended to go in smoothies, not to be eaten with a spoon.
No reason to waste your money on fresh when you don't need them.
Putting the berries into the blender while still frozen means that
much less ice is needed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2013 11:08 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> I can't say frozen berries are something I have bought. I eat them in
> season but only fresh.

I've bought them - and lived to regret it. No more frozen berries for
me! I just bought a big bag of dehydrated blueberries. I suspect that
they would be OK in a muffin but I could be wrong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 6/3/2013 11:08 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I can't say frozen berries are something I have bought. I eat them in
>> season but only fresh.
>>

> I've bought them - and lived to regret it. No more frozen berries for me!
> I just bought a big bag of dehydrated blueberries. I suspect that they
> would be OK in a muffin but I could be wrong.

Did they make you ill?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2013 3:43 AM, sf wrote:

> What I heard is they were being sold for smoothies. I've made yogurt
> based smoothies with Trader Joe's frozen berries and they were
> delicious.
>
> BTW: They tracked it to the pomegranate seeds, which came from Turkey.

Turkish pomegranate seeds are the pits!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 6/4/2013 3:43 AM, sf wrote:
>
>> What I heard is they were being sold for smoothies. I've made yogurt
>> based smoothies with Trader Joe's frozen berries and they were
>> delicious.
>>
>> BTW: They tracked it to the pomegranate seeds, which came from Turkey.
>>

> Turkish pomegranate seeds are the pits!

lol

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2013 9:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 6/3/2013 11:08 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't say frozen berries are something I have bought. I eat them in
>>> season but only fresh.
>>>

>> I've bought them - and lived to regret it. No more frozen berries for
>> me! I just bought a big bag of dehydrated blueberries. I suspect that
>> they would be OK in a muffin but I could be wrong.

> Did they make you ill?

In a way - just thinking about those limp, mushy, berries puts a
dampener on my day. OTOH, I'm not wild about berries in general. Given
the choice between a nice juicy berry on a plate or an anchovy, I'd
probably go for the fish. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 6/4/2013 9:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I've bought them - and lived to regret it. No more frozen berries for
>>> me! I just bought a big bag of dehydrated blueberries. I suspect that
>>> they would be OK in a muffin but I could be wrong.

>> Did they make you ill?
>>

> In a way - just thinking about those limp, mushy, berries puts a dampener
> on my day. OTOH, I'm not wild about berries in general. Given the choice
> between a nice juicy berry on a plate or an anchovy, I'd probably go for
> the fish. :-)

Me too

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 09:29:39 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 6/3/2013 11:08 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > I can't say frozen berries are something I have bought. I eat them in
> > season but only fresh.
> >

> I've bought them - and lived to regret it. No more frozen berries for
> me! I just bought a big bag of dehydrated blueberries. I suspect that
> they would be OK in a muffin but I could be wrong.

People don't buy frozen berries to bake with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 20:57:58 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> >> Did they make you ill?
> >>

> > In a way - just thinking about those limp, mushy, berries puts a dampener
> > on my day. OTOH, I'm not wild about berries in general. Given the choice
> > between a nice juicy berry on a plate or an anchovy, I'd probably go for
> > the fish. :-)

> Me too

I'm not going to repeat myself about why people buy frozen berries.
Those who think they can replace fresh are only kidding themselves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> People don't buy frozen berries to bake with.

I have. And in fact they used them on Cooks Country/America's Test Kitchen
on the episode that I saw last night. They made a strawberry layer cake.
They cooked them just slightly then...I wasn't paying super close attention
since I don't like cake...mashed them or something. I think they used the
juice in the cake but I could be wrong on that. Said that it worked better
than using the fresh ones and that most online recipes call for Jell-O which
they said gave an artificial taste.

I have used frozen berries in muffins when I couldn't get fresh. Would not
recommend this. They will work but they get rather leaky and your blueberry
muffins will turn purple. They will taste fine but look bad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2013 6:44 PM, sf wrote:

> People don't buy frozen berries to bake with.

I'm glad cause that's a horrible idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> I have used frozen berries in muffins when I couldn't get fresh. Would
> not recommend this. They will work but they get rather leaky and your
> blueberry muffins will turn purple. They will taste fine but look bad.

I remember many years ago (40+) when I got my first freezer I experimented
with freezing many things to see how they turned out. Strawberries were a
big flop because when they are frozen the cells expand and fracture so when
the fruit thaws it collapses.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> I have used frozen berries in muffins when I couldn't get fresh. Would
>> not recommend this. They will work but they get rather leaky and your
>> blueberry muffins will turn purple. They will taste fine but look bad.

> I remember many years ago (40+) when I got my first freezer I experimented
> with freezing many things to see how they turned out. Strawberries were a
> big flop because when they are frozen the cells expand and fracture so
> when
> the fruit thaws it collapses.

Could be. We mostly had them in the frozen state.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I have used frozen berries in muffins when I couldn't get fresh. Would
>>> not recommend this. They will work but they get rather leaky and your
>>> blueberry muffins will turn purple. They will taste fine but look bad.

>> I remember many years ago (40+) when I got my first freezer I
>> experimented
>> with freezing many things to see how they turned out. Strawberries were
>> big flop because when they are frozen the cells expand and fracture so
>> when
>> the fruit thaws it collapses.

> Could be. We mostly had them in the frozen state.

When you defrosted them, did they not collapse?
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 21:44:47 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 09:29:39 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/3/2013 11:08 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> >
>> > I can't say frozen berries are something I have bought. I eat them in
>> > season but only fresh.
>> >

>> I've bought them - and lived to regret it. No more frozen berries for
>> me! I just bought a big bag of dehydrated blueberries. I suspect that
>> they would be OK in a muffin but I could be wrong.

>People don't buy frozen berries to bake with.

I use frozen berries to bake. Granted, I've frozen them myself.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I remember many years ago (40+) when I got my first freezer I
>>> experimented
>>> with freezing many things to see how they turned out. Strawberries
>>> were a
>>> big flop because when they are frozen the cells expand and fracture
>>> so when
>>> the fruit thaws it collapses.

>> Could be. We mostly had them in the frozen state.

> When you defrosted them, did they not collapse?

We didn't defrost them. Just ate them frozen. Wasn't my idea and I didn't
like them this way. But they now sell them to be eaten this way. They come
chopped in little cups.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 22:00:26 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > People don't buy frozen berries to bake with.

> I have.

You've said yourself that your family doesn't like what you make.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 07:50:52 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 21:44:47 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 09:29:39 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:

> >> I've bought them - and lived to regret it. No more frozen berries for
> >> me! I just bought a big bag of dehydrated blueberries. I suspect that
> >> they would be OK in a muffin but I could be wrong.

> >People don't buy frozen berries to bake with.

> I use frozen berries to bake. Granted, I've frozen them myself.

You didn't buy big bags of mixed frozen berries to bake with and those
mixed berry bags are the topic at hand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2013 6:25 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 6/4/2013 5:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> I can't say frozen berries are something I have bought. I eat them in
>> season but only fresh.

> When berries are in season, I'll buy a bunch and freeze them.
> They're great in smoothies, for one thing. Blueberry pancakes.
> Etc.
>
> I don't normally buy them frozen but I certainly have.
>
> nancy

In our freezer, we have frozen, sliced strawberries and frozen wild
Maine blueberries. I will mix them with yogurt and I have made cobblers
out of them.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 6/4/2013 6:25 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 6/4/2013 5:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>> I can't say frozen berries are something I have bought. I eat them in
>>> season but only fresh.

>> When berries are in season, I'll buy a bunch and freeze them.
>> They're great in smoothies, for one thing. Blueberry pancakes.
>> Etc.
>>
>> I don't normally buy them frozen but I certainly have.
>>
>> nancy

> In our freezer, we have frozen, sliced strawberries and frozen wild Maine
> blueberries. I will mix them with yogurt and I have made cobblers out of
> them.

Yummmmmmmmm
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/