Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default REC: Coconut milk Ice Cream

Here is some ice cream that is killer good and has no added sugar.
This is a recipe I adapted.
Here's what I did.

Honey Vanilla Coconut Milk Ice Cream

27 oz. (2 cans) full fat coconut milk ( I like the Chacokoh brand
best)
2 large egg yolks
1 scant tsp Stevita or stevia of your choice (I found it really
doesn't take much at all)
1/4 cup honey
2 T melted butter
2 T melted coconut oil
2 tsp. vanilla and one chopped up vanilla bean
1/8 tsp salt (if you use salted butter you can leave this out)
2 tsp bourbon (the bourbon helps to stop ice crystals from forming in
the ice cream, don't use more than a couple of teaspoons or it won't
freeze properly)

Put the butter, coconut oil and honey in a small pan and heat to melt
thoroughly.

In the blender put all the rest of the ingredients and blend till
vanilla bean is just specks.
Then, while blender is running, pour in the melted ingredients. Blend
well.

Put in ice cream maker, or if you don't have ice cream maker put in a
pan in the freezer and
stir occassionally while it is freezing to redistribute the vanilla
specks.

Cannot tell you how good this tastes. I just put it in the freezer
and can't wait till it freezes.
This is a great base for any other stuff you would want to add like
berries or nuts or peaches, etc.

The original recipe is here.
http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/in...amon-ice-cream

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 28, 7:30*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:

Ok. Today it is frozen. I checked it this morning before I left
for work. Since I don't have an ice cream maker the ice cream is good
but doesn't have that churned smooth texture. Tonight I'm going to
turn it out in a bowl and beat it with a hand mixer and re freeze it.

You also can leave out the Stevia or granulated sweetener. The honey
is plenty. With the natural sweetness of the coconut milk, the honey
is all you need.

It really has a wonderful flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 29, 11:06*am, ImStillMags > wrote:

So....don't make this if you don't have an ice cream machine or
churn. It is really tasty but freezes too hard and
has an icy texture. If you put it in the fridge to soften it doesn't
help the texture, you have to stir it a lot and then it gets creamy
again.

How can you make ice cream if you don't have a machine or churn?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 May 2013 13:47:28 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On May 29, 11:06*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
>So....don't make this if you don't have an ice cream machine or
>churn. It is really tasty but freezes too hard and
>has an icy texture. If you put it in the fridge to soften it doesn't
>help the texture, you have to stir it a lot and then it gets creamy
>again.
>
>How can you make ice cream if you don't have a machine or churn?

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/07/making-ice-crea-1/

Making Ice Cream Without a Machine-

He says it works best with custard based ice creams. [worth looking
at the page for the chocolate drizzles he is mixing into a batch. I've
done that with some coconut oil & Dutch cocoa chocolate and it was
divine.]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 31, 2:50*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> On Fri, 31 May 2013 13:47:28 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>
> > wrote:
> >On May 29, 11:06 am, ImStillMags > wrote:

> >So....don't make this if you don't have an ice cream machine or
> >churn. * It is really tasty but freezes too hard and
> >has an icy texture. * If you put it in the fridge to soften it doesn't
> >help the texture, you have to stir it a lot and then it gets creamy
> >again.

> >How can you make ice cream if you don't have a machine or churn?

> http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/07/making-ice-crea-1/
>
> Making Ice Cream Without a Machine-
>
> He says it works best with custard based ice creams. * *[worth looking
> at the page for the chocolate drizzles he is mixing into a batch. I've
> done that with some coconut oil & Dutch cocoa chocolate and it was
> divine.]
>
> Jim

OOH. Would you share your recipe and methodology? Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chocolate drizzles in ice cream [was: REC: Coconut milk Ice Cream]

ImStillMags > wrote:

>On May 31, 2:50*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

-snip-

>> http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/07/making-ice-crea-1/
>>
>> Making Ice Cream Without a Machine-
>>
>> He says it works best with custard based ice creams. * *[worth looking
>> at the page for the chocolate drizzles he is mixing into a batch. I've
>> done that with some coconut oil & Dutch cocoa chocolate and it was
>> divine.]
>>
>> Jim

>OOH. Would you share your recipe and methodology? Thanks!

Simplicity itself, actually. As the ice cream is churning, I mix
the [Valrhona, in my case] Dutch chocolate with coconut oil, and keep
it just warm enough to be liquid.

I use equal amounts of cocoa powder and coconut oil-- then sweeten
with honey until I like it. [1/2 as much honey as powder/oil?] I've
also sweetened with confectioners sugar, maple syrup, or agave.

As I'm turning the ice cream from the churner to the freezer
container, I lay in 1/4 of the ice cream, smooth it a bit- and
drizzle. . . lay in another layer and repeat.. . .and so on.

It gives a great texture to the ice cream and the chocolate melts in
your mouth.

Lebovitz has a bit on 'Straciatela' in his "The Perfect Scoop" but it
is the one thing I disagree with him on. He pours it in as the ice
cream is churning. I like the control of putting it on in layers
in a bowl that is stationary.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 1, 9:50*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> ImStillMags > wrote:
> >On May 31, 2:50 pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> -snip-
>

> >>http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/07/making-ice-crea-1/

> >> Making Ice Cream Without a Machine-

> >> He says it works best with custard based ice creams. [worth looking
> >> at the page for the chocolate drizzles he is mixing into a batch. I've
> >> done that with some coconut oil & Dutch cocoa chocolate and it was
> >> divine.]

> >> Jim

> >OOH. * Would you share your recipe and methodology? * *Thanks!

> Simplicity itself, actually. * * As the ice cream is churning, I mix
> the [Valrhona, in my case] Dutch chocolate with coconut oil, and keep
> it just warm enough to be liquid.
>
> I use equal amounts of cocoa powder and coconut oil-- then sweeten
> with honey until I like it. [1/2 as much honey as powder/oil?] * I've
> also sweetened with confectioners sugar, maple syrup, or agave.
>
> As I'm turning the ice cream from the churner to the freezer
> container, I lay in 1/4 of the ice cream, smooth it a bit- and
> drizzle. . . lay in another layer and repeat.. . .and so on.
>
> It gives a great texture to the ice cream and the chocolate melts in
> your mouth.
>
> Lebovitz has a bit on 'Straciatela' in his "The Perfect Scoop" but it
> is the one thing I disagree with him on. * *He pours it in as the ice
> cream is churning. * * I like the control of putting it on in layers
> in a bowl that is stationary.
>
> Jim

ok.....now I want some :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2013 10:30 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> Here is some ice cream that is killer good and has no added sugar.
> This is a recipe I adapted.
> Here's what I did.
>
> Honey Vanilla Coconut Milk Ice Cream
>
> 27 oz. (2 cans) full fat coconut milk ( I like the Chacokoh brand
> best)
> 2 large egg yolks
> 1 scant tsp Stevita or stevia of your choice (I found it really
> doesn't take much at all)
> 1/4 cup honey
> 2 T melted butter
> 2 T melted coconut oil
> 2 tsp. vanilla and one chopped up vanilla bean
> 1/8 tsp salt (if you use salted butter you can leave this out)
> 2 tsp bourbon (the bourbon helps to stop ice crystals from forming in
> the ice cream, don't use more than a couple of teaspoons or it won't
> freeze properly)
>
> Put the butter, coconut oil and honey in a small pan and heat to melt
> thoroughly.
>
> In the blender put all the rest of the ingredients and blend till
> vanilla bean is just specks.
> Then, while blender is running, pour in the melted ingredients. Blend
> well.
>
> Put in ice cream maker, or if you don't have ice cream maker put in a
> pan in the freezer and
> stir occassionally while it is freezing to redistribute the vanilla
> specks.
>
> Cannot tell you how good this tastes. I just put it in the freezer
> and can't wait till it freezes.
> This is a great base for any other stuff you would want to add like
> berries or nuts or peaches, etc.
>
> The original recipe is here.
> http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/in...amon-ice-cream

A lot of my favorite flavors. Thanks for posting!

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2013 4:47 PM, ImStillMags wrote:

> On May 29, 11:06 am, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> So....don't make this if you don't have an ice cream machine or
> churn. It is really tasty but freezes too hard and
> has an icy texture. If you put it in the fridge to soften it doesn't
> help the texture, you have to stir it a lot and then it gets creamy
> again.
>
> How can you make ice cream if you don't have a machine or churn?

What about your Vitamix? Can't you make ice cream in that?

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 1, 10:14*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On 5/31/2013 4:47 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>
> > On May 29, 11:06 am, ImStillMags > wrote:

> > So....don't make this if you don't have an ice cream machine or
> > churn. * It is really tasty but freezes too hard and
> > has an icy texture. * If you put it in the fridge to soften it doesn't
> > help the texture, you have to stir it a lot and then it gets creamy
> > again.

> > How can you make ice cream if you don't have a machine or churn?

> What about your Vitamix? *Can't you make ice cream in that?
>
> --
> CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

"ice cream" in a Vita Mix usually start with ice cubes. The blender
itself doesn't freeze anything.
I figured out I didn't stir it correctly or often enough while it was
freezing. I'll do it again the recommended way and see how it
goes. This is a yummy recipe and I want to make it again.