FoodBanter.com

-   -   Revenge of the Shopping Cart (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/424186-revenge-shopping-cart.html)

Ed Pawlowski 24-05-2013 03:25 AM

Revenge of the Shopping Cart

I went to our local supermarket this evening and it was a bit breezy.
In the row across from where I parked a woman was unloading her cart.
She had a number of bags so I did not wait for it to be empty and
walked to the store entrance. She put the cart on the right side of
her car, blocking the parking spot next to her, then walked around to
the left side and got in.

As she got in and shut the door, a gust of wind caught the cart and
moved it around to the rear quarter panel, just as she backed out.
From where I stood, looked like no serious damage, but a couple of
scratches.

Maybe she'll go to Aldi's the next time.

Julie Bove[_2_] 24-05-2013 03:32 AM

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>I went to our local supermarket this evening and it was a bit breezy.
> In the row across from where I parked a woman was unloading her cart.
> She had a number of bags so I did not wait for it to be empty and
> walked to the store entrance. She put the cart on the right side of
> her car, blocking the parking spot next to her, then walked around to
> the left side and got in.
>
> As she got in and shut the door, a gust of wind caught the cart and
> moved it around to the rear quarter panel, just as she backed out.
> From where I stood, looked like no serious damage, but a couple of
> scratches.
>
> Maybe she'll go to Aldi's the next time.

Ha! Serves her right!

Pico Rico[_2_] 24-05-2013 03:40 AM

Revenge of the Shopping Cart

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>I went to our local supermarket this evening and it was a bit breezy.
> In the row across from where I parked a woman was unloading her cart.
> She had a number of bags so I did not wait for it to be empty and
> walked to the store entrance. She put the cart on the right side of
> her car, blocking the parking spot next to her, then walked around to
> the left side and got in.
>
> As she got in and shut the door, a gust of wind caught the cart and
> moved it around to the rear quarter panel, just as she backed out.
> From where I stood, looked like no serious damage, but a couple of
> scratches.

and THAT is your story? ok, just stick with it. yeah, the wind. yeah.

Cheryl[_3_] 24-05-2013 04:21 AM

On 5/23/2013 10:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I went to our local supermarket this evening and it was a bit breezy.
> In the row across from where I parked a woman was unloading her cart.
> She had a number of bags so I did not wait for it to be empty and
> walked to the store entrance. She put the cart on the right side of
> her car, blocking the parking spot next to her, then walked around to
> the left side and got in.
>
> As she got in and shut the door, a gust of wind caught the cart and
> moved it around to the rear quarter panel, just as she backed out.
> From where I stood, looked like no serious damage, but a couple of
> scratches.
>
> Maybe she'll go to Aldi's the next time.

Serves her right! lol I hope she had to make several maneuvers to get
around it while she backed her car out of the parking spot. Should
make her think it would have just been easier to put the cart where it
belongs. =p

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Polly Esther[_2_] 24-05-2013 05:19 AM

Revenge of the Shopping Cart

"Cheryl" <> Serves her right! lol I hope she had to make several maneuvers
to get
> around it while she backed her car out of the parking spot. Should make
> her think it would have just been easier to put the cart where it belongs.
> =p

Now, now. Let us be kind. Maybe she had a shrieking teething infant with
her and a bladder about to explode. Polly

jmcquown[_2_] 24-05-2013 10:02 AM

Revenge of the Shopping Cart

On 5/23/2013 10:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> I went to our local supermarket this evening and it was a bit breezy.
> In the row across from where I parked a woman was unloading her cart.
> She had a number of bags so I did not wait for it to be empty and
> walked to the store entrance. She put the cart on the right side of
> her car, blocking the parking spot next to her, then walked around to
> the left side and got in.
>
> As she got in and shut the door, a gust of wind caught the cart and
> moved it around to the rear quarter panel, just as she backed out.
> From where I stood, looked like no serious damage, but a couple of
> scratches.
>
> Maybe she'll go to Aldi's the next time.

I really, truly do not understand why people don't take shopping carts
back to the store. I am grateful I have two good legs. I don't have a
problem returning the cart.

I should note, there are no "cart corrals" at the Publix where I shop.
The building codes here require they not remove trees. In order to have
parking sufficient (and also required by ordinance) for the size of the
store they can't also have cart corrals. So... we are supposed to take
them back to the store. I *always* do that. There is a place for them
lined up outside the entrance. Also a line of carts just inside the store.

What is so terribly difficult about this concept? As I said in the
Aldi's thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. It doesn't bother me
to walk to take the cart back. You will also never catch me parking in
a handicapped spot. I also don't drive around in circles looking for
someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking space.

Jill

Ed Pawlowski 24-05-2013 01:06 PM

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 May 2013 22:25:25 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I went to our local supermarket this evening and it was a bit breezy.
>> In the row across from where I parked a woman was unloading her cart.
>> She had a number of bags so I did not wait for it to be empty and
>> walked to the store entrance. She put the cart on the right side of
>> her car, blocking the parking spot next to her, then walked around to
>> the left side and got in.
>>
>> As she got in and shut the door, a gust of wind caught the cart and
>> moved it around to the rear quarter panel, just as she backed out.
>> From where I stood, looked like no serious damage, but a couple of
>> scratches.

> So what did she do after that - did she put the cart away at least
> semi-properly (where nobody else will get dinged)?
>
> -sw

Nope, she moved it out of her way, looked at her car and drove away.

Ed Pawlowski 24-05-2013 01:07 PM

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" <> Serves her right! lol I hope she had to make several
> maneuvers to get
>> around it while she backed her car out of the parking spot. Should make
>> her think it would have just been easier to put the cart where it
>> belongs. =p
>>

> Now, now. Let us be kind. Maybe she had a shrieking teething infant with
> her and a bladder about to explode. Polly

She was alone and the store has clean restrooms. She just did not care
about putting the cart back.

Dave Smith[_1_] 24-05-2013 01:37 PM

Revenge of the Shopping Cart

On 24/05/2013 5:02 AM, jmcquown wrote:
..

> I really, truly do not understand why people don't take shopping carts
> back to the store. I am grateful I have two good legs. I don't have a
> problem returning the cart.
>
> I should note, there are no "cart corrals" at the Publix where I shop.
> The building codes here require they not remove trees. In order to have
> parking sufficient (and also required by ordinance) for the size of the
> store they can't also have cart corrals. So... we are supposed to take
> them back to the store. I *always* do that. There is a place for them
> lined up outside the entrance. Also a line of carts just inside the store.
>
> What is so terribly difficult about this concept? As I said in the
> Aldi's thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. It doesn't bother me
> to walk to take the cart back. You will also never catch me parking in
> a handicapped spot. I also don't drive around in circles looking for
> someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking space.

I rarely even take the cart out to the parking lot. I use re-usable bags
and rarely have more than four bags of groceries, so I just take the
bags out of the cart before I leave the store.

However... I confess that I do not push my perfectly good cart into the
lines at cart parking area. I prefer to leave it out and saving the next
customer the hassle of having to wrestle with a line of carts sticking
together, and knowing full well that no one will take it. People prefer
to have to fight with them.

Ed Pawlowski 24-05-2013 01:38 PM

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> What is so terribly difficult about this concept? As I said in the Aldi's
> thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. It doesn't bother me to walk
> to take the cart back. You will also never catch me parking in a
> handicapped spot. I also don't drive around in circles looking for
> someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking space.
>
> Jill

The best way to keep those good legs good is to use them. Mine are not as
good as they used to be, but they only get worse if I walk less. I prefer
to park away from the busy part of the parking lot as it saves a lot of
dings on the car.

jmcquown[_2_] 24-05-2013 02:13 PM

On 5/24/2013 8:38 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>> What is so terribly difficult about this concept? As I said in the Aldi's
>> thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. It doesn't bother me to walk
>> to take the cart back. You will also never catch me parking in a
>> handicapped spot. I also don't drive around in circles looking for
>> someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking space.
>>
>> Jill

> The best way to keep those good legs good is to use them. Mine are not as
> good as they used to be, but they only get worse if I walk less. I prefer
> to park away from the busy part of the parking lot as it saves a lot of
> dings on the car.

I absolutely agree. Some denegration is natural with aging but there's
no reason to speed up the process by not walking. People who refuse to
return carts at the grocery store are just plain lazy. Fortunately it
is not a big problem where I shop.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 24-05-2013 02:17 PM

On 5/24/2013 8:37 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 24/05/2013 5:02 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> What is so terribly difficult about this concept? As I said in the
>> Aldi's thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. It doesn't bother me
>> to walk to take the cart back. You will also never catch me parking in
>> a handicapped spot. I also don't drive around in circles looking for
>> someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking space.
>>

> I rarely even take the cart out to the parking lot. I use re-usable bags
> and rarely have more than four bags of groceries, so I just take the
> bags out of the cart before I leave the store.

You're lucky you can get away with only four bags. I live 20 miles away
from the grocery store so I do a big shopping trip about once a month.
Much of it is destined for the freezer. Four bags for me wouldn't cut
it. But no, I don't leave the grocery cart out where it will likely, by
some twist of fate, decide to ding a car.

Jill

James Silverton[_4_] 24-05-2013 02:25 PM

On 5/24/2013 9:17 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/24/2013 8:37 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 24/05/2013 5:02 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> What is so terribly difficult about this concept? As I said in the
>>> Aldi's thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. It doesn't bother me
>>> to walk to take the cart back. You will also never catch me parking in
>>> a handicapped spot. I also don't drive around in circles looking for
>>> someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking space.
>>>

>> I rarely even take the cart out to the parking lot. I use re-usable bags
>> and rarely have more than four bags of groceries, so I just take the
>> bags out of the cart before I leave the store.
>>

> You're lucky you can get away with only four bags. I live 20 miles away
> from the grocery store so I do a big shopping trip about once a month.
> Much of it is destined for the freezer. Four bags for me wouldn't cut
> it. But no, I don't leave the grocery cart out where it will likely, by
> some twist of fate, decide to ding a car.

A number of supermarkets have cart collecting bays at several places in
the lot and people do seem to use them around here.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Nancy Young[_6_] 24-05-2013 02:32 PM

Revenge of the Shopping Cart

On 5/24/2013 8:38 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>> What is so terribly difficult about this concept? As I said in the Aldi's
>> thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. It doesn't bother me to walk
>> to take the cart back. You will also never catch me parking in a
>> handicapped spot. I also don't drive around in circles looking for
>> someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking space.

> The best way to keep those good legs good is to use them. Mine are not as
> good as they used to be, but they only get worse if I walk less.

Ditto. The more I walk, the better my legs (and hip) feel. The
opposite is also true, you wouldn't think sitting around would make
you feel worse, but there you have it.

> I prefer
> to park away from the busy part of the parking lot as it saves a lot of
> dings on the car.

I'm just too lazy to try to park close. I just pull into a spot
away from the other cars and I don't have to wait for anyone.
So annoying to see people causing parking lot traffic jams waiting
for someone to pull out of a spot ... and there's an open spot two
spaces down!

I do the same as someone else mentioned in this thread. Unless there
is something unwieldy to unload, it's amazing how much stuff I can
carry myself and leave the cart at the store.

nancy

Ophelia[_9_] 24-05-2013 02:41 PM

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 5/24/2013 8:38 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> What is so terribly difficult about this concept? As I said in the
>>> Aldi's
>>> thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. It doesn't bother me to walk
>>> to take the cart back. You will also never catch me parking in a
>>> handicapped spot. I also don't drive around in circles looking for
>>> someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking space.

>> The best way to keep those good legs good is to use them. Mine are not as
>> good as they used to be, but they only get worse if I walk less.

> Ditto. The more I walk, the better my legs (and hip) feel. The
> opposite is also true, you wouldn't think sitting around would make
> you feel worse, but there you have it.
>
> > I prefer
>> to park away from the busy part of the parking lot as it saves a lot of
>> dings on the car.

> I'm just too lazy to try to park close. I just pull into a spot
> away from the other cars and I don't have to wait for anyone.
> So annoying to see people causing parking lot traffic jams waiting
> for someone to pull out of a spot ... and there's an open spot two
> spaces down!
>
> I do the same as someone else mentioned in this thread. Unless there
> is something unwieldy to unload, it's amazing how much stuff I can
> carry myself and leave the cart at the store.

Since we retired, Himself does all the carrying ... ;) Suits me <g>
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Dave Smith[_1_] 24-05-2013 02:44 PM

On 24/05/2013 9:32 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

> I'm just too lazy to try to park close. I just pull into a spot
> away from the other cars and I don't have to wait for anyone.
> So annoying to see people causing parking lot traffic jams waiting
> for someone to pull out of a spot ... and there's an open spot two
> spaces down!

I am the same. If I go to a mall or a grocery store I generally head for
an area where there will be lots of empty spaces and walk the extra
distance. I learned years ago that it is a time saver. I have watched
people driving around and around looking for a the ideal space and I end
up in the store or mall before they even find their perfect spot.

George Leppla 24-05-2013 03:25 PM

On 5/24/2013 8:13 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> I absolutely agree. Some denegration is natural with aging but there's
> no reason to speed up the process by not walking. People who refuse to
> return carts at the grocery store are just plain lazy. Fortunately it
> is not a big problem where I shop.

Speaking of walking.... Becca and I mowed the lawn yesterday. Both
using 22" self-propelled walk-behind mowers. We worked at it steady
over 2 hours, and this morning I mowed another 45 minutes to finish the
job. I figure we mowed about 3 acres +/-.

Surprisingly, we both feel pretty good this morning.... minor pain in my
knees and in her hands (vibration from the handle which I can eliminate).

And obviously we haven't found a lawn tractor or riding mower that I
like yet.

OT - Did I mention that Becca is the Best. Wife. Ever.

FOOD related... since she helped me with the mowing, I made supper last
night... spaghetti and meat sauce. Came out great.

George L

Helpful person 24-05-2013 03:28 PM

On May 24, 8:07*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> > "Cheryl" <> Serves her right! *lol *I hope she had to make several
> > maneuvers to get
> >> around it while she backed her car out of the parking spot. * Should make
> >> her think it would have just been easier to put the cart where it
> >> belongs. =p

> > Now, now. *Let us be kind. *Maybe she had a shrieking teething infant with
> > her and a bladder about to explode. *Polly

> She was alone and the store has clean restrooms. *She just did not care
> about putting the cart back.

Well,

Maybe she didn't know the store had nice restrooms and maybe by
mistake she left her infant at the shopping cart parking area.

http://www.richardfisher.com

Helpful person 24-05-2013 03:32 PM

On May 24, 5:02*am, jmcquown > wrote:

> What is so terribly difficult about this concept? *As I said in the
> Aldi's thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. *It doesn't bother me
> to walk to take the cart back. *You will also never catch me parking in
> a handicapped spot. *I also don't drive around in circles looking for
> someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking space.
>
> Jill

I agree. What does annoy me is when someone in a car with a handicap
sticker parks in the handycap area when they have obviously borrowed
the car/sticker from someone else.

Those spaces reserved for pregnant women also annoy me. If they have
a problem they can easily get a handicap permit.

http://www.richardfisher.com

Ophelia[_9_] 24-05-2013 03:36 PM

"George Leppla" > wrote in message

> OT - Did I mention that Becca is the Best. Wife. Ever.

Not that I have seen, but I am very pleased:))) Just the way it should
be:))

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ed Pawlowski 24-05-2013 03:46 PM

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> However... I confess that I do not push my perfectly good cart into the
> lines at cart parking area. I prefer to leave it out and saving the next
> customer the hassle of having to wrestle with a line of carts sticking
> together, and knowing full well that no one will take it. People prefer to
> have to fight with them.

That is OK if a person actually takes it An amazing number of people will
walk right by it and then take a cart in the store. As for leaving it out,
if you are blocking a parking space or leaving it to be blown into other
cars, you are the problem, not the solution.

sf[_9_] 24-05-2013 04:24 PM

Revenge of the Shopping Cart

On Fri, 24 May 2013 10:46:39 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> >
> > However... I confess that I do not push my perfectly good cart into the
> > lines at cart parking area. I prefer to leave it out and saving the next
> > customer the hassle of having to wrestle with a line of carts sticking
> > together, and knowing full well that no one will take it. People prefer to
> > have to fight with them.
> >

> That is OK if a person actually takes it An amazing number of people will
> walk right by it and then take a cart in the store. As for leaving it out,
> if you are blocking a parking space or leaving it to be blown into other
> cars, you are the problem, not the solution.

They can rationalize all they want, but it's just plain lazy for
people not to return shopping carts to the cart corral... carts litter
the parking lot and nobody takes them, but people still can't be
bothered to walk a few feet to put it where it won't damage any cars.
Even the slightest incline will sent a cart careening into someone
else's car, but lazy assholes just plain don't care. It's always
someone else's problem and they'll find a reason to excuse themselves
from doing what they should have done in the first place.

A couple of weeks ago, I parked next to a light pole in the parking
lot and noticed that two shopping carts had been pushed up to it (side
by side) while I was in the store. I made a note to myself that I'd
take them to the cart corral, which was maybe 30 feet away, after I
put my own groceries into the trunk my own car (I didn't have a cart).
I'd just thrown my purse into the car, so I'd have two hands free and
only needed to close and lock the door when a gust of wind sent both
of them sailing down an very slight (unnoticeable unless you were
rolling something) incline and they were headed directly toward an
unoccupied car. They would have made quite a dent if they'd hit it.
I left my car door open with my purse out in the open to chase them
down before they hit. Since they were already halfway to the cart
corral, I took them the rest of the way to where they should have been
in the first place - and then realized how lucky I was that no one
took advantage of the situation to steal my purse... or my car.

Kalmia 24-05-2013 04:40 PM

Revenge of the Shopping Cart

While I won't say that I have NEVER left a cart adjacent to my car, I usually try to park near the cart corral and if I'm not in a rush or weather- threatened, I return it. However, I have never left a cart where it could roll into a car.

Maybe the broad has back trouble where every step is rationed. Sciatica is no joke - been there are few times. Maybe she had ice cream and it was a hot day? Just trying to find some reasons. PROBABLY just un-thinking or wants to give the bag-boys something to do?

Kalmia 24-05-2013 04:42 PM

Revenge of the Shopping Cart

Some are old or overweight and every step is a burden. Pour moi, I look for SHADE or dingless territory.

My neighbor who has a red Corvette always parks out in no man's land - that's how I can detect his presence in a parking lot.

Kalmia 24-05-2013 04:45 PM

On Friday, May 24, 2013 10:46:39 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> That is OK if a person actually takes it An amazing number of people will
>
> walk right by it and then take a cart in the store.

Must be a lot of dopes where you live. If I see someone unloading into the trunk, I run up, say "I'll take it", grab the cart and they are all smiles.. Cart problem solved for him and me. ANYthing to avoid that cart untangling struggle where they pack em together.

Dave Smith[_1_] 24-05-2013 05:38 PM

On 24/05/2013 10:25 AM, George Leppla wrote:

> Speaking of walking.... Becca and I mowed the lawn yesterday. Both
> using 22" self-propelled walk-behind mowers. We worked at it steady
> over 2 hours, and this morning I mowed another 45 minutes to finish the
> job. I figure we mowed about 3 acres +/-.
>
> Surprisingly, we both feel pretty good this morning.... minor pain in my
> knees and in her hands (vibration from the handle which I can eliminate).
>
> And obviously we haven't found a lawn tractor or riding mower that I
> like yet.

My tractor mower is going to the shop. They are so busy they cannot pick
it up until Tuesday. My back lawn was bout 80% cut when it died. At
this time of year I usually have to mow ever3 days, and it is easier to
mow quickly twice than to let it get twice as long and mow it once.

> OT - Did I mention that Becca is the Best. Wife. Ever.

She's got my vote it she mows grass. The last time the Megatron helped
<?> by mowing the front lawn for me I had to go out every 5 minutes to
start the mower for her. That was over 20 years ago.

But good luck with that riding tractor. Make sure to get one with a
safety switch bypass that will allow you to back up with the blades in
gear. It is a PITA to have to keep engaging and disengaging the PTO to
back up. On my previous mower I was excited to use it for the first
time. I was out in the far back section and working my way between some
trees when I suddenly realized that I was over top of a hornet nest.
They were angry and a branch prevented me from going forward. I slapped
it into reverse..... the engine stopped. I was not used to the machine
and I had to think about the steps to get it going..... disengage PTO,
put it in neutral, press the clutch/brake turn the key..... angry
hornets buzzing around.

Dave Smith[_1_] 24-05-2013 05:41 PM

On 24/05/2013 10:32 AM, Helpful person wrote:

> I agree. What does annoy me is when someone in a car with a handicap
> sticker parks in the handycap area when they have obviously borrowed
> the car/sticker from someone else.

I don't think that they are any worse than the people who have a permit
because someone in the family is handicapped and not with them at the
time, or they have dropped off the handicapped person near the door and
are going to pick them up. My mother had a handicapped sticker and when
I took her places I dropped her off at the door and found a regular
spot. She was the one who needed the handicapped space, not me.

I could have got one after my heart surgery but did not.

Dave Smith[_1_] 24-05-2013 05:46 PM

On 24/05/2013 10:46 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>
>> However... I confess that I do not push my perfectly good cart into the
>> lines at cart parking area. I prefer to leave it out and saving the next
>> customer the hassle of having to wrestle with a line of carts sticking
>> together, and knowing full well that no one will take it. People prefer to
>> have to fight with them.
>>

> That is OK if a person actually takes it An amazing number of people will
> walk right by it and then take a cart in the store.

That's why I leave it out. It is part of my personal sociological study.
People will not take the cart that is left out to make it easier for
them. They prefer to struggle with the carts that are all jammed together.

>As for leaving it out,
> if you are blocking a parking space or leaving it to be blown into other
> cars, you are the problem, not the solution.

Me? As I mentioned.... I usually don't even take the cart out of the
store. I leave it in the cart parking area in the store.
Leaving a cart in a parking space is just plain ignorant.

KenK 24-05-2013 05:52 PM

Revenge of the Shopping Cart

jmcquown > wrote in
:

> On 5/23/2013 10:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> I went to our local supermarket this evening and it was a bit breezy.
>> In the row across from where I parked a woman was unloading her cart.
>> She had a number of bags so I did not wait for it to be empty and
>> walked to the store entrance. She put the cart on the right side of
>> her car, blocking the parking spot next to her, then walked around to
>> the left side and got in.
>>
>> As she got in and shut the door, a gust of wind caught the cart and
>> moved it around to the rear quarter panel, just as she backed out.
>> From where I stood, looked like no serious damage, but a couple of
>> scratches.
>>
>> Maybe she'll go to Aldi's the next time.
>>

> I really, truly do not understand why people don't take shopping carts
> back to the store. I am grateful I have two good legs. I don't have
> a problem returning the cart.
>
> I should note, there are no "cart corrals" at the Publix where I shop.
> The building codes here require they not remove trees. In order to
> have parking sufficient (and also required by ordinance) for the size
> of the store they can't also have cart corrals. So... we are supposed
> to take them back to the store. I *always* do that. There is a place
> for them lined up outside the entrance. Also a line of carts just
> inside the store.
>
> What is so terribly difficult about this concept? As I said in the
> Aldi's thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. It doesn't bother
> me to walk to take the cart back. You will also never catch me
> parking in a handicapped spot. I also don't drive around in circles
> looking for someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking
> space.
>
> Jill

I always park as far as I can get from the store entrance. Another excuse
for some exercise and keeps my car away from the careless parkers.

jmcquown[_2_] 24-05-2013 06:03 PM

On 5/24/2013 11:24 AM, sf wrote:
> Even the slightest incline will sent a cart careening into someone
> else's car, but lazy assholes just plain don't care. It's always
> someone else's problem and they'll find a reason to excuse themselves
> from doing what they should have done in the first place.
>
> A couple of weeks ago, I parked next to a light pole in the parking
> lot and noticed that two shopping carts had been pushed up to it (side
> by side) while I was in the store. I made a note to myself that I'd
> take them to the cart corral, which was maybe 30 feet away, after I
> put my own groceries into the trunk my own car (I didn't have a cart).
> I'd just thrown my purse into the car, so I'd have two hands free and
> only needed to close and lock the door when a gust of wind sent both
> of them sailing down an very slight (unnoticeable unless you were
> rolling something) incline and they were headed directly toward an
> unoccupied car. They would have made quite a dent if they'd hit it.
> I left my car door open with my purse out in the open to chase them
> down before they hit. Since they were already halfway to the cart
> corral, I took them the rest of the way to where they should have been
> in the first place - and then realized how lucky I was that no one
> took advantage of the situation to steal my purse... or my car.

I'm glad you didn't lose your purse (or your car)! And thank you for
stopping the runaway shopping carts. I really do NOT understand why
people are so frigging lazy they won't put shopping carts back where
they belong. It was incredibly windy the entire month of April...
rolling shopping cart season.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 24-05-2013 06:05 PM

On 5/24/2013 11:45 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Friday, May 24, 2013 10:46:39 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> That is OK if a person actually takes it An amazing number of people will
>>
>> walk right by it and then take a cart in the store.

> Must be a lot of dopes where you live. If I see someone unloading into the trunk, I run up, say "I'll take it", grab the cart and they are all smiles. Cart problem solved for him and me. ANYthing to avoid that cart untangling struggle where they pack em together.

I often encounter people who have just parked as I'm pushing the empty
cart back towards the store. I'll say need a cart? Why yes, thank you!

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 24-05-2013 06:41 PM

On 5/24/2013 11:40 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> While I won't say that I have NEVER left a cart adjacent to my car, I usually try to park near the cart corral and if I'm not in a rush or weather- threatened, I return it. However, I have never left a cart where it could roll into a car.

What does weather threatened mean? Shouldn't go shopping if it might
rain? I'd have a hard time going to the store, it rains here all the
damn time.

> Maybe the broad has back trouble where every step is rationed. Sciatica is no joke - been there are few times. Maybe she had ice cream and it was a hot day? Just trying to find some reasons. PROBABLY just un-thinking or wants to give the bag-boys something to do?

If "the broad" was giving the "bag boys" something to do they'd have
taken the groceries out for her, loaded them in the trunk and returned
the cart back where it belonged.

It's about a 20 mile drive to the grocery store. Ice cream, milk,
frozen vegetables... they all make it home just fine even when it is 90F
degrees outside.

Jill

Ed Pawlowski 24-05-2013 07:32 PM

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> I often encounter people who have just parked as I'm pushing the empty
> cart back towards the store. I'll say need a cart? Why yes, thank you!
>
> Jill

I do that too. Most people say "thank you" and take the cart. One person
did not so I took it back myself only to see the guy taking a cart from
inside. ???????????

I've also had a couple of people say "no, but I'll take it back for you"
Nice folks they are. Or they just figure they will help the old guy.

Sharon[_7_] 24-05-2013 08:20 PM

"James Silverton" wrote in message ...

On 5/24/2013 9:17 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/24/2013 8:37 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 24/05/2013 5:02 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> What is so terribly difficult about this concept? As I said in the
>>> Aldi's thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. It doesn't bother me
>>> to walk to take the cart back. You will also never catch me parking in
>>> a handicapped spot. I also don't drive around in circles looking for
>>> someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking space.
>>>

>> I rarely even take the cart out to the parking lot. I use re-usable bags
>> and rarely have more than four bags of groceries, so I just take the
>> bags out of the cart before I leave the store.
>>

> You're lucky you can get away with only four bags. I live 20 miles away
> from the grocery store so I do a big shopping trip about once a month.
> Much of it is destined for the freezer. Four bags for me wouldn't cut
> it. But no, I don't leave the grocery cart out where it will likely, by
> some twist of fate, decide to ding a car.

A number of supermarkets have cart collecting bays at several places in
the lot and people do seem to use them around here.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My complaint about the cart corals is that they are nowhere near the
handicap parking spaces. By the time I get my groceries, and put them in my
van, it's a struggle to go the distance.....Sharon in Canada

James Silverton[_4_] 24-05-2013 08:40 PM

On 5/24/2013 3:20 PM, Sharon wrote:

> "James Silverton" wrote in message ...
>
> On 5/24/2013 9:17 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>>

>>> I rarely even take the cart out to the parking lot. I use re-usable bags
>>> and rarely have more than four bags of groceries, so I just take the
>>> bags out of the cart before I leave the store.
>>>

>> You're lucky you can get away with only four bags. I live 20 miles away
>> from the grocery store so I do a big shopping trip about once a month.
>> Much of it is destined for the freezer. Four bags for me wouldn't cut
>> it. But no, I don't leave the grocery cart out where it will likely, by
>> some twist of fate, decide to ding a car.
>>

> A number of supermarkets have cart collecting bays at several places in
> the lot and people do seem to use them around here.
>
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> My complaint about the cart corals is that they are nowhere near the
> handicap parking spaces. By the time I get my groceries, and put them
> in my van, it's a struggle to go the distance.....Sharon in Canada

But the handicapped spaces are usually very close to the store entrance
and that's where the parking attendants would take the carts anyway.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Dave Smith[_1_] 24-05-2013 08:57 PM

On 24/05/2013 1:03 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I'm glad you didn't lose your purse (or your car)! And thank you for
> stopping the runaway shopping carts. I really do NOT understand why
> people are so frigging lazy they won't put shopping carts back where
> they belong. It was incredibly windy the entire month of April...
> rolling shopping cart season.

I think you do understand..... you said they are lazy.

dsi1[_18_] 24-05-2013 09:14 PM

On 5/24/2013 9:20 AM, Sharon wrote:
> My complaint about the cart corals is that they are nowhere near the
> handicap parking spaces. By the time I get my groceries, and put them
> in my van, it's a struggle to go the distance.....Sharon in Canada

That's a good point. The Safeway over here has a cart station directly
across from the handicap spaces. I don't care much for that location. I
think a more logical place would be in the middle or 2/3rds away from
the spaces nearest the store entrance. As you know, you can't please
everybody. That's the breaks.

sf[_9_] 24-05-2013 09:31 PM

Revenge of the Shopping Cart

On Fri, 24 May 2013 13:03:02 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I'm glad you didn't lose your purse (or your car)! And thank you for
> stopping the runaway shopping carts. I really do NOT understand why
> people are so frigging lazy they won't put shopping carts back where
> they belong. It was incredibly windy the entire month of April...
> rolling shopping cart season.

I went to Costco in April and the winds were so bad they had an
employee by the carts holding them back and pulling one out for each
customer that needed one.

Ema Nymton 24-05-2013 11:10 PM

On 5/24/2013 10:42 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> Some are old or overweight and every step is a burden. Pour moi, I
> look for SHADE or dingless territory.
>
> My neighbor who has a red Corvette always parks out in no man's land
> - that's how I can detect his presence in a parking lot.

Corvette owners are well known to park in the outskirts of the parking
lot, so nobody will ding their car. Corvette owners also wave when they
drive by each other. Different.

Becca

Ema Nymton 24-05-2013 11:15 PM

On 5/24/2013 3:14 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/24/2013 9:20 AM, Sharon wrote:
>> My complaint about the cart corals is that they are nowhere near the
>> handicap parking spaces. By the time I get my groceries, and put them
>> in my van, it's a struggle to go the distance.....Sharon in Canada

> That's a good point. The Safeway over here has a cart station directly
> across from the handicap spaces. I don't care much for that location. I
> think a more logical place would be in the middle or 2/3rds away from
> the spaces nearest the store entrance. As you know, you can't please
> everybody. That's the breaks.

There is a chain of supermarkets here, that does not have a cart return.
The person sacking your groceries takes them out to your car for you
whether you like it or not, and they do not accept tips. That part makes
me uncomfortable, I should at least be able to tip them.

Becca