Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Revenge of the Shopping Cart

On 5/25/2013 2:19 AM, Cheryl wrote:

> I'm so glad I have a rider because my lawn is so long right now from all
> of the rain every time I have a chance to cut it that it's all gone to
> seed and is nearly 12" high. I see the forecast here isn't calling for
> rain tomorrow, so I'll get it done in the morning. Well, maybe
> afternoon since it's almost 3:30am now.

We will be buying a rider in the next 6-8 weeks. If you hear someone
shouting for joy, you will know we have it.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 May 2013 13:48:08 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Sun, 26 May 2013 08:49:26 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

> >> I can't say, but it would likely do as well as any other 4 cylinders
> >> I've driven over the years, some of which I've driven up Mt. Washington
> >> with no problem.
> >>

> >I can only say that I was very glad when I didn't have a 4 banger
> >anymore because it didn't do well on San Francisco hills.

> 4 cylinder is fine if they are turbocharged. 274 HP on mine.

They are turbo charged now, but they weren't back then. If they were,
Honda certainly didn't do it on their Accord. Since then, we've owned
6 cylinder cars that had more power than old fashioned 8s.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/05/2013 5:36 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 5/25/2013 2:19 AM, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> I'm so glad I have a rider because my lawn is so long right now from all
>> of the rain every time I have a chance to cut it that it's all gone to
>> seed and is nearly 12" high. I see the forecast here isn't calling for
>> rain tomorrow, so I'll get it done in the morning. Well, maybe
>> afternoon since it's almost 3:30am now.

> We will be buying a rider in the next 6-8 weeks. If you hear someone
> shouting for joy, you will know we have it.

Don't wait that long. I don't know about where you live but around here
at this time if year I have to mow the lawn at least twice a week. I
have more than an acre of grass to cut. It is divided into 5 different
areas, I have two streams through the property and dozens of trees. I
would be lost without my tractor mower.

I had been having some problems with it cutting out and not wanting to
start until after it sat for a while. When it was running it ran rough.
I made arrangements to take it into the shop for repair. Between pick up
and delivery, labour and parts I figured I would be looking at at least
$200. The mechanic suggested I try changing the spark plug, fuel and air
filters, so I tried that. It still would not start.

Yesterday morning I decided to give it another try. I poured a little
alcohol into the breather... to help ignition and absorb water that
might have been in the carburator. Then I disconnect the gas line from
the (new) filter, and trained about a half pint of gas. Put it back
together, started it up and it is now running better than it has run in
years.

When I had a push mower I used to cut at least one section of lawn each
night and by the time I finished it was time to start back at the
beginning. If it rained I missed a night and had to make up for it. With
the tractor mower I can mow the entire lawn in about an hour and a half.

Like push mowers, it is better to run over it quickly before it gets too
long because it will keep clogging up and it will take at least three
times as long to mow, and you will have all the clippings to deal with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2013 8:16 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 26/05/2013 5:36 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:

>> We will be buying a rider in the next 6-8 weeks. If you hear someone
>> shouting for joy, you will know we have it.

> Don't wait that long. I don't know about where you live but around here
> at this time if year I have to mow the lawn at least twice a week. I
> have more than an acre of grass to cut. It is divided into 5 different
> areas, I have two streams through the property and dozens of trees. I
> would be lost without my tractor mower.

When I lived in PA, this time of year I would have to mow 3 times in two
weeks. Short season, cold climate grass grows fast once the temps get
above 70 degrees with regularity.

Here in the South, it is seldom necessary to move more than twice every
three weeks... usually once every other week will do. But we mow all
year, although in December through February, we slow down to once every
3 weeks.

> Yesterday morning I decided to give it another try. I poured a little
> alcohol into the breather... to help ignition and absorb water that
> might have been in the carburator. Then I disconnect the gas line from
> the (new) filter, and trained about a half pint of gas. Put it back
> together, started it up and it is now running better than it has run in
> years.

You did all the right things. Depending on the engine, there might also
be a kink in the carburetor linkage that is hanging things up (when the
engine gets hot, the carb choke/air settings change). Spray lube everything.

I had a mower that did the same thing and it drove me nuts. Finally
figured out that when I replaced the fuel line, I cut the hose too long.
When it was cold, it worked fine. When the engine warmed up, the line
got soft enough and kinked... cutting off gas supply.

> When I had a push mower I used to cut at least one section of lawn each
> night and by the time I finished it was time to start back at the
> beginning. If it rained I missed a night and had to make up for it. With
> the tractor mower I can mow the entire lawn in about an hour and a half.

Right now, we are mowing about 3 acres (+/-). I was doing it myself with
a 22 inch self-propelled push mower and it took me between 4 and 5 hours
total, but not all at once. This past week, Becca offered to help (we
have a second 22 inch mower) so the two of us mowed one morning for a
little over 2 hours... and I finished up the next day. It isn't fun,
but it was good exercise and with the two of us working at it, time
seems to pass by pretty quickly.

We are going to buy a tractor shortly. I figure something with a 48 inch
deck will cut mowing time down to around 2 to 2.5 hours. Very little
trimming to do except around the house so that won't slow me down.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

>Right now, we are mowing about 3 acres with
>a 22 inch self-propelled push mower. We are
>going to buy a tractor shortly. I figure something
>with a 48 inch deck.

I don't think they make a 48" deck, they are 42" and the next size is
54", and then 60". I'd suggest at least the 54" for someone your
weight... the 60" is better for you because the wider the cut the
greater the HP... you'll need the extra HP to haul you around. The
thing is all those low end garden tractors are built on the same
chassis with the same small diameter narrow tread tires... at your
weight you'll always be climbing out of a rut, always running uphill,
a low HP motor won't last long. And if you're as large as you look in
your picture you probably won't fit on those cheapo garden tractors,
the seats don't travel back far enough for you to fit behind the
steering wheel, the steering wheels on those low end machines aren't
adjustable either. Those low end (toys r us) garden tractors are
designed to accomodate folks no more than 175 lbs... and even then
when well maintained they typically last no longer than 3-4 years.
Their thin pressed sheet metal construction is simply not designed to
carry your weight... first thing the sheet metal rusts out and
collapses. Doesn't much matter which brand but for you I'd recommend
a real tractor and definitely diesel. I would strongly suggest buying
from an authorized dealer rather than a big box store. Cub Cadet
makes a decent product: http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet
This is a good product too:
http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/tractors

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2013 10:13 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> George Leppla wrote:
>>
>> Right now, we are mowing about 3 acres with
>> a 22 inch self-propelled push mower. We are
>> going to buy a tractor shortly. I figure something
>> with a 48 inch deck.

> I don't think they make a 48" deck, they are 42" and the next size is
> 54", and then 60". I'd suggest at least the 54" for someone your
> weight... the 60" is better for you because the wider the cut the
> greater the HP... you'll need the extra HP to haul you around.

Ahhh... I love talking tractors.

Various brands have different size decks... you can get up to a 32 inch
single blade, 42" double blade, 42, 46, 48, 54 and 60 in triple blade
configurations.

Because of gates, obstructions, etc, I can't use a 54 or 60 inch deck.
Even some 48" decks might be too wide if the deflector shield is too
long or fixed instead of being able to fold up out of the way.

As you have noticed, I am larger than the average bear so I am only
looking at machines with engines that are 17 HP or up... preferably twin
cylinder but a one cylinder would be OK. Most of the machines I've
looked at have at least that much HP.

> I would strongly suggest buying
> from an authorized dealer rather than a big box store. Cub Cadet
> makes a decent product: http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet

Actually, I looked at this tractor:
http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/3776869412.html According to the
manufacturer plate, the machine was built in 2007, making it 6 years
old. It has been cleaned up well, but there are a lot of hours on it...
too many for $900. Like the guy said in his listing, for another $500 I
could buy a new one.

> This is a good product too:
> http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/tractors

I've owned two Simplicity tractors and they are great. Very sturdy.
Problem is that they aren't very popular down here and I haven't seen
any used ones for sale. Another problem... the nearest dealer is 47
miles away (like I said, not very popular) and while they build a nice
machine, the Simplicity Parts Department isn't the most dependable.
Still, if I came across a good used one, I would seriously consider
buying it.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/05/2013 8:44 AM, George Leppla wrote:

>> When I had a push mower I used to cut at least one section of lawn each
>> night and by the time I finished it was time to start back at the
>> beginning. If it rained I missed a night and had to make up for it. With
>> the tractor mower I can mow the entire lawn in about an hour and a half.

> Right now, we are mowing about 3 acres (+/-). I was doing it myself with
> a 22 inch self-propelled push mower and it took me between 4 and 5 hours
> total, but not all at once.This past week, Becca offered to help (we
> have a second 22 inch mower) so the two of us mowed one morning for a
> little over 2 hours... and I finished up the next day. It isn't fun,
> but it was good exercise and with the two of us working at it, time
> seems to pass by pretty quickly.
>
> We are going to buy a tractor shortly. I figure something with a 48 inch
> deck will cut mowing time down to around 2 to 2.5 hours. Very little
> trimming to do except around the house so that won't slow me down.

I opted for the 38 inch deck because my lawn property is divided into
five areas that have to be mowed. I have the front lawn, the back lawn,
a stream behind that, then the area around my barn, a tree line, another
stream and the back section. I have so many curves,and angles to deal
with. There are a lot of trees and few places to get a straight cut. I
figured the narrow deck would get me between more trees so less trimming
to do. A couple inches means a few more swaths.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2013 2:57 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I opted for the 38 inch deck because my lawn property is divided into
> five areas that have to be mowed. I have the front lawn, the back lawn,
> a stream behind that, then the area around my barn, a tree line, another
> stream and the back section. I have so many curves,and angles to deal
> with. There are a lot of trees and few places to get a straight cut. I
> figured the narrow deck would get me between more trees so less trimming
> to do. A couple inches means a few more swaths.

Yep... not everyone needs a big dick.... I mean, big deck. If you have a
lot of tight spaces and property is broken up into smaller areas, a
small tractor can be overall better than a large one.

Sheldon has some beautiful property and most of his mowing is open field
acreage. His big tractor might be a bit too much for the job, but then
considering he uses it for snow removal... it is a good fit. Without
the snow removal, his smaller Kubota would probably be OK for mowing
alone assuming it has a 60 inch deck. Those smaller Kubotas with that
kind of belly mount mower can really gobble up the turf. Nice machines.

You will see a lot of pros having big mowers because time is money...
and at least one small one that they use to get in and out of tight
spots (gates can be a bitch).

For what I have to mow, anything over 48 inches would mean a lot of hand
mowing in tight spaces. Anything under 42 inches and I'm adding more
time to the job. Lucky for me, 42 to 48 in decks are the most popular sizes.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Yesterday morning I decided to give it another try. I poured a little
> alcohol into the breather... to help ignition and absorb water that
> might have been in the carburator. Then I disconnect the gas line from
> the (new) filter, and trained about a half pint of gas. Put it back
> together, started it up and it is now running better than it has run in
> years.

If the problem returns, I suggest you remove the
float chamber and clean it out. The symptoms
sound like a clogged carburator jet (though water
in the carb will do the same thing). Lawnmowers
are very prone to getting dirt or bits of dried
grass in the carburator. The problem can come
and go, until the bowl is cleaned out.