Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Revenge of the Shopping Cart

On 24/05/2013 6:10 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 5/24/2013 10:42 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>> Some are old or overweight and every step is a burden. Pour moi, I
>> look for SHADE or dingless territory.
>>
>> My neighbor who has a red Corvette always parks out in no man's land
>> - that's how I can detect his presence in a parking lot.

> Corvette owners are well known to park in the outskirts of the parking
> lot, so nobody will ding their car.

They are? Around here they tend to park across two spaces....which is
probably why they get keyed.

> Corvette owners also wave when they
> drive by each other. Different.

Motorcyclists do that too.

What's the difference between a Corvette and a cactus?

A cactus has the pricks on the outside.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2013 17:10:52 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> On 5/24/2013 10:42 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> > Some are old or overweight and every step is a burden. Pour moi, I
> > look for SHADE or dingless territory.
> >
> > My neighbor who has a red Corvette always parks out in no man's land
> > - that's how I can detect his presence in a parking lot.

> Corvette owners are well known to park in the outskirts of the parking
> lot, so nobody will ding their car. Corvette owners also wave when they
> drive by each other. Different.

That waving at drivers of like cars thing is true for all sports cars
(the real ones that are just two seaters). Hubby learned that 40
years ago when he drove a Fiat Spider.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:
> On 5/24/2013 11:45 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>> On Friday, May 24, 2013 10:46:39 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> That is OK if a person actually takes it An amazing number of people will
>>>
>>> walk right by it and then take a cart in the store.

>> Must be a lot of dopes where you live. If I see someone unloading into
>> the trunk, I run up, say "I'll take it", grab the cart and they are all
>> smiles. Cart problem solved for him and me. ANYthing to avoid that
>> cart untangling struggle where they pack em together.
>>

> I often encounter people who have just parked as I'm pushing the empty
> cart back towards the store. I'll say need a cart? Why yes, thank you!
>
> Jill

I have been offered a cart shopping at Aldi. I also think I offered it to
someone else when I was done.

Greg

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ema Nymton > wrote:
> On 5/24/2013 10:42 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>> Some are old or overweight and every step is a burden. Pour moi, I
>> look for SHADE or dingless territory.
>>
>> My neighbor who has a red Corvette always parks out in no man's land
>> - that's how I can detect his presence in a parking lot.

> Corvette owners are well known to park in the outskirts of the parking
> lot, so nobody will ding their car. Corvette owners also wave when they
> drive by each other. Different.
>
> Becca

I have parked my truck in outer areas because of it's size.

I once stopped for a pit stop at a restaurant. I parked my car between two
Ferrari's.
Three cars in a row with Michelin XWX tires. That's 12 tires.

No, I had a datsun.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2013 18:24:32 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>> Corvette owners are well known to park in the outskirts of the parking
>> lot, so nobody will ding their car.

>They are? Around here they tend to park across two spaces....which is
>probably why they get keyed.

That does not bother me when they do it way out in the open spaces.
Bugs me when they take the first two close spaces though making it
difficult for someone that really needs to be close.

My second car is usually older and I don't care if it gets a ding so
I'd intentionally park as close as I could to the a-hole that did
that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2013 11:40 AM, Kalmia wrote:

> Maybe the broad has back trouble where every step is rationed.
> Sciatica is no joke - been there are few times. Maybe she had ice
> cream and it was a hot day? Just trying to find some reasons.
> PROBABLY just un-thinking or wants to give the bag-boys something to
> do?

Not sciatica in my case, but stenosis and spondylolisthesis. Even
before spinal fusion when every step I took was excruciating, I don't
recall leaving a cart in a parking spot. I might have left one up on
the grassy part of dividers between the parking lot and the store,
though, if the pain was really really bad. Standing in line at the
grocery store used to be so painful that I was often so tempted to sit
down on the floor but I wasn't guaranteed of being able to get back up.
--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2013 12:38 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> But good luck with that riding tractor. Make sure to get one with a
> safety switch bypass that will allow you to back up with the blades in
> gear. It is a PITA to have to keep engaging and disengaging the PTO to
> back up. On my previous mower I was excited to use it for the first
> time. I was out in the far back section and working my way between some
> trees when I suddenly realized that I was over top of a hornet nest.
> They were angry and a branch prevented me from going forward. I slapped
> it into reverse..... the engine stopped. I was not used to the machine
> and I had to think about the steps to get it going..... disengage PTO,
> put it in neutral, press the clutch/brake turn the key..... angry
> hornets buzzing around.

I thought all riders and tractors have that switch now that lets you go
in reverse with the blades engaged? I was watching a drunk neighbor a
couple of years ago who obviously had no idea how to work a rider and
every time he tried to go in reverse the engine died.

I'm so glad I have a rider because my lawn is so long right now from all
of the rain every time I have a chance to cut it that it's all gone to
seed and is nearly 12" high. I see the forecast here isn't calling for
rain tomorrow, so I'll get it done in the morning. Well, maybe
afternoon since it's almost 3:30am now.
--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 24 May 2013 17:10:52 -0500, Ema Nymton >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/24/2013 10:42 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>> > Some are old or overweight and every step is a burden. Pour moi, I
>> > look for SHADE or dingless territory.
>> >
>> > My neighbor who has a red Corvette always parks out in no man's land
>> > - that's how I can detect his presence in a parking lot.

>> Corvette owners are well known to park in the outskirts of the parking
>> lot, so nobody will ding their car. Corvette owners also wave when they
>> drive by each other. Different.
>>

> That waving at drivers of like cars thing is true for all sports cars
> (the real ones that are just two seaters). Hubby learned that 40
> years ago when he drove a Fiat Spider.

Yeah I had a Fiat Spider) I had a Triumph Spitfire too and an MGB GT.
I few years ago I sold my Mazda MX5 and bought a Shotgun. Nobody waves at
me anymore
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 1:58 AM, Cheryl wrote:

> Not sciatica in my case, but stenosis and spondylolisthesis. Even
> before spinal fusion when every step I took was excruciating, I don't
> recall leaving a cart in a parking spot. I might have left one up on
> the grassy part of dividers between the parking lot and the store,
> though, if the pain was really really bad. Standing in line at the
> grocery store used to be so painful that I was often so tempted to sit
> down on the floor but I wasn't guaranteed of being able to get back up.

Ha, been there. Not as serious as your situation, not by a long shot.

Even though I'm called a meanie and a jerk for it, it's for people
like you that I have all my stuff ready to go to get through check
out and quickly as possible, and that it bugs me when people aren't
considerate of the people behind them. Maybe they have all the time
in the world, but someone behind them might not, or might be in
discomfort of some kind.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2013 6:10 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 5/24/2013 10:42 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>> Some are old or overweight and every step is a burden. Pour moi, I
>> look for SHADE or dingless territory.
>>
>> My neighbor who has a red Corvette always parks out in no man's land
>> - that's how I can detect his presence in a parking lot.

> Corvette owners are well known to park in the outskirts of the parking
> lot, so nobody will ding their car. Corvette owners also wave when they
> drive by each other. Different.
>
> Becca

In 1984 I bought a Toyota Corolla. I couldn't believe it when other
Corolla drivers would honk and wave at me. It's not like it was a
classic car.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 10:45:56 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> Yeah I had a Fiat Spider) I had a Triumph Spitfire too and an MGB GT.
> I few years ago I sold my Mazda MX5 and bought a Shotgun. Nobody waves at
> me anymore

Heh, you're like him. He had a Triumph (I forget which one but it was
a two seater), an MGB GT and some sort of Mazda muscle car that he
only kept for 6 months because no one in the family would ride with
him. We all hated that car. It was a 4 seat "sports car". Bucket
seats in front and a tiny bench in the back. It was probably similar
to the fiat, but to me it was a lot bulkier and we had kids by that
time so it just wasn't practical. I liked my car to be the soccer
mom with a dog - lets go to the beach, type (although I was a
non-conformist and drove a Lancia when all the other moms drove
Volvos) and his to be the let's get dressed up and go out type car -
so I was happy when he grew up and we started buying BMWs & Mercedes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 8:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> In 1984 I bought a Toyota Corolla. I couldn't believe it when other
> Corolla drivers would honk and wave at me. It's not like it was a
> classic car.

I drove an early Honda Accord, believe it or not, they were a
rare sight and when people weren't asking me about it, the
very occasional other Accord driver would beep and wave.

Seems funny now.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2013 6:15 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 5/24/2013 3:14 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 5/24/2013 9:20 AM, Sharon wrote:
>>> My complaint about the cart corals is that they are nowhere near the
>>> handicap parking spaces. By the time I get my groceries, and put them
>>> in my van, it's a struggle to go the distance.....Sharon in Canada

>> That's a good point. The Safeway over here has a cart station directly
>> across from the handicap spaces. I don't care much for that location. I
>> think a more logical place would be in the middle or 2/3rds away from
>> the spaces nearest the store entrance. As you know, you can't please
>> everybody. That's the breaks.

> There is a chain of supermarkets here, that does not have a cart return.
> The person sacking your groceries takes them out to your car for you
> whether you like it or not, and they do not accept tips. That part makes
> me uncomfortable, I should at least be able to tip them.
>
> Becca

I can't recall the name of the supermarket but there was one like that
when I lived in Tennessee. At one time it was a small family owned
"chain" - strictly local. They their stores and for a while it was
Albertsons, then Snhnuck's, or vice versa. Heh.) The person bagging
groceries took them to your car whether you needed help or not. And no,
they couldn't accept tips. I remember one young man telling me he could
lose his job if he accepted a tip. That didn't sit well with me. If
figure if I want to give him a couple of bucks it's my business.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 10:00 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/25/2013 8:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> In 1984 I bought a Toyota Corolla. I couldn't believe it when other
>> Corolla drivers would honk and wave at me. It's not like it was a
>> classic car.

> I drove an early Honda Accord, believe it or not, they were a
> rare sight and when people weren't asking me about it, the
> very occasional other Accord driver would beep and wave.
>
> Seems funny now.
>
> nancy

It seemed funny to me at the time, too. Hey, I bought I car, I didn't
know I was joining a fan club. (laugh)

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 10:00 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/25/2013 8:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> In 1984 I bought a Toyota Corolla. I couldn't believe it when other
>> Corolla drivers would honk and wave at me. It's not like it was a
>> classic car.

> I drove an early Honda Accord, believe it or not, they were a
> rare sight and when people weren't asking me about it, the
> very occasional other Accord driver would beep and wave.
>
> Seems funny now.

I remember someone asking me when I first drove my Accord: "Is that a
small Mercedes?". These days there are Mercedes smaller than Accords.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 10:19 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 5/25/2013 10:00 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> I drove an early Honda Accord, believe it or not, they were a
>> rare sight and when people weren't asking me about it, the
>> very occasional other Accord driver would beep and wave.
>>
>> Seems funny now.
>>

> I remember someone asking me when I first drove my Accord: "Is that a
> small Mercedes?".

Ha, I never got that question. My boss drove a big car, even
by those days standards, and he told me he wished he had my
car for his trunk, in case he got a flat. (laugh)

> These days there are Mercedes smaller than Accords.

If I drove a really expensive car, people would know it. Not
by checking the emblem and going oh, that's a Mercedes/whatever?

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 May 2013 10:45:56 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Yeah I had a Fiat Spider) I had a Triumph Spitfire too and an MGB GT.
>> I few years ago I sold my Mazda MX5 and bought a Shotgun. Nobody waves
>> at
>> me anymore

> Heh, you're like him. He had a Triumph (I forget which one but it was
> a two seater), an MGB GT and some sort of Mazda muscle car that he
> only kept for 6 months because no one in the family would ride with
> him. We all hated that car. It was a 4 seat "sports car". Bucket
> seats in front and a tiny bench in the back. It was probably similar
> to the fiat, but to me it was a lot bulkier and we had kids by that
> time so it just wasn't practical. I liked my car to be the soccer
> mom with a dog - lets go to the beach, type (although I was a
> non-conformist and drove a Lancia when all the other moms drove
> Volvos) and his to be the let's get dressed up and go out type car -
> so I was happy when he grew up and we started buying BMWs & Mercedes.

<g>

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/05/2013 10:09 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/25/2013 10:00 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 5/25/2013 8:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> In 1984 I bought a Toyota Corolla. I couldn't believe it when other
>>> Corolla drivers would honk and wave at me. It's not like it was a
>>> classic car.

>> I drove an early Honda Accord, believe it or not, they were a
>> rare sight and when people weren't asking me about it, the
>> very occasional other Accord driver would beep and wave.
>>
>> Seems funny now.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> It seemed funny to me at the time, too. Hey, I bought I car, I didn't
> know I was joining a fan club. (laugh)

There was an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry David was upset
because another Prius driver did not wave back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 10:28:29 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> If I drove a really expensive car, people would know it.

Do you plan to stencil it on the car in big letters?

> Not
> by checking the emblem and going oh, that's a Mercedes/whatever?

I don't recognize cars by body shape. I saw a really nice Bentley
the other day, but had no idea what it was until I saw the emblem.
Porsches although are a little easier for me because there are so many
around and I'm used to seeing them. They're the VW of expensive
cars... which is appropriate, considering Porsche is owned by VW now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 11:56 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2013 10:28:29 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> If I drove a really expensive car, people would know it.

> Do you plan to stencil it on the car in big letters?

That's my point. It would look expensive. I see cars around
that I know cost the earth and if I didn't see the emblem, I'd
think they were some other kind of car.

>> Not
>> by checking the emblem and going oh, that's a Mercedes/whatever?
>>

> I don't recognize cars by body shape. I saw a really nice Bentley
> the other day, but had no idea what it was until I saw the emblem.
> Porsches although are a little easier for me because there are so many
> around and I'm used to seeing them. They're the VW of expensive
> cars... which is appropriate, considering Porsche is owned by VW now.

Not a car I've ever been interested in, for whatever reason, and
they're kind of bony inside.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/05/2013 11:56 AM, sf wrote:

> I don't recognize cars by body shape. I saw a really nice Bentley
> the other day, but had no idea what it was until I saw the emblem.
> Porsches although are a little easier for me because there are so many
> around and I'm used to seeing them. They're the VW of expensive
> cars... which is appropriate, considering Porsche is owned by VW now.

I am not a car fanatic by any means. I used to work with a guy who was
into hot rods and classic cars. In fact, he has moonlight business as an
assessor and his services were very much in demand from those who had
put a lot of money into their cars and needed credible assessments of
their value. He was always pointing out interesting cars. I once
commented that he knew cars by make, model and year while I recognized
them by colour and decade.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 13:49:48 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 5/25/2013 11:56 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 May 2013 10:28:29 -0400, Nancy Young
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> If I drove a really expensive car, people would know it.

> > Do you plan to stencil it on the car in big letters?

> That's my point. It would look expensive. I see cars around
> that I know cost the earth and if I didn't see the emblem, I'd
> think they were some other kind of car.
>
> >> Not
> >> by checking the emblem and going oh, that's a Mercedes/whatever?
> >>

> > I don't recognize cars by body shape. I saw a really nice Bentley
> > the other day, but had no idea what it was until I saw the emblem.
> > Porsches although are a little easier for me because there are so many
> > around and I'm used to seeing them. They're the VW of expensive
> > cars... which is appropriate, considering Porsche is owned by VW now.

> Not a car I've ever been interested in, for whatever reason, and
> they're kind of bony inside.

They appeal to a certain segment of the population, otherwise they'd
be out of business by now. I've only test driven a Boxter, but didn't
like the "racing car" aspect. I would have bought it if I thought I'd
ever get used to driving it, but it was too weird for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 11:56 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2013 10:28:29 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> If I drove a really expensive car, people would know it.

> Do you plan to stencil it on the car in big letters?
>
>> Not
>> by checking the emblem and going oh, that's a Mercedes/whatever?
>>

> I don't recognize cars by body shape. I saw a really nice Bentley
> the other day, but had no idea what it was until I saw the emblem.
> Porsches although are a little easier for me because there are so many
> around and I'm used to seeing them. They're the VW of expensive
> cars... which is appropriate, considering Porsche is owned by VW now.

It is even more appropriate since Ferry Porsche, in addition to
designing tanks, one of the first designers for Hitler's "People's Car".

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 13:49:48 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 5/25/2013 11:56 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 May 2013 10:28:29 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> If I drove a really expensive car, people would know it.

>> Do you plan to stencil it on the car in big letters?

>That's my point. It would look expensive. I see cars around
>that I know cost the earth and if I didn't see the emblem, I'd
>think they were some other kind of car.

Some of the very expensive cars are rather mundane in style as opposed
to some of the middle priced cars. Used to be, you drove a Caddy or
Lincoln, it could be spotted a half mile away. Some of the Mercedes
are not as good looking as a Toyota or Hyundai. If fact, I think the
Sonata is one of the best styled cars in its present class.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 11:11 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Some of the very expensive cars are rather mundane in style as opposed
> to some of the middle priced cars. Used to be, you drove a Caddy or
> Lincoln, it could be spotted a half mile away. Some of the Mercedes
> are not as good looking as a Toyota or Hyundai. If fact, I think the
> Sonata is one of the best styled cars in its present class.

Hyundai is smart. The 2001 Sonata copied the styling of the Jaguar. The
2006 looks like a clone of the Audi A4. The latest series looks like a
BMW. Hopefully, the next one will look like a Hyundai.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 11:34:52 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 5/25/2013 11:11 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>

> > Some of the very expensive cars are rather mundane in style as opposed
> > to some of the middle priced cars. Used to be, you drove a Caddy or
> > Lincoln, it could be spotted a half mile away. Some of the Mercedes
> > are not as good looking as a Toyota or Hyundai. If fact, I think the
> > Sonata is one of the best styled cars in its present class.
> >

> Hyundai is smart. The 2001 Sonata copied the styling of the Jaguar. The
> 2006 looks like a clone of the Audi A4. The latest series looks like a
> BMW. Hopefully, the next one will look like a Hyundai.

One of my SIL's had a Hyundai when they were still the new kid on the
block - she called it her mini-Mercedes. Yes, it looked like a toy
Mercedes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 11:34:52 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 5/25/2013 11:11 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>

>> Some of the very expensive cars are rather mundane in style as opposed
>> to some of the middle priced cars. Used to be, you drove a Caddy or
>> Lincoln, it could be spotted a half mile away. Some of the Mercedes
>> are not as good looking as a Toyota or Hyundai. If fact, I think the
>> Sonata is one of the best styled cars in its present class.
>>

>Hyundai is smart. The 2001 Sonata copied the styling of the Jaguar. The
>2006 looks like a clone of the Audi A4. The latest series looks like a
>BMW. Hopefully, the next one will look like a Hyundai.

Look at the line on the side. The deign chief came from Mercedes and
did the C class.

I used to laugh at people buying Hyundai, now I'm on my third, a
Sonata Limited with the turbo. Pacific Blue. They've come a long way
from the old Exel that rusted away.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 12:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Look at the line on the side. The deign chief came from Mercedes and
> did the C class.

You are certainly right about that. That's one beautiful accent line!

> I used to laugh at people buying Hyundai, now I'm on my third, a
> Sonata Limited with the turbo. Pacific Blue. They've come a long way
> from the old Exel that rusted away.

My 2006 Sonata made me feel good driving it. It was a nice ride but it
crashed. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 7:13 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/25/2013 12:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> Look at the line on the side. The deign chief came from Mercedes and
>> did the C class.

> You are certainly right about that. That's one beautiful accent line!
>

>> I used to laugh at people buying Hyundai, now I'm on my third, a
>> Sonata Limited with the turbo. Pacific Blue. They've come a long way
>> from the old Exel that rusted away.

> My 2006 Sonata made me feel good driving it. It was a nice ride but it
> crashed. That's the breaks.

It crashed?! I love my Hyundai Accent. I've had it 10 years and it's
still going strong.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 1:22 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> It crashed?! I love my Hyundai Accent. I've had it 10 years and it's
> still going strong.
>
> Jill

My daughter tried to take a corner a little too hot and biffed it. She
should have placed her faith in the Electronic Stability Control and
cranked the wheel hard. I think she would have missed that light pole.

The good news is that nobody was hurt and I got more money from the
insurance than I paid. How that happened is a mystery.

I've been driving a beater 96 Dodge Dakota truck and enjoying it. It
suits me fine and as an extra bonus, the kids hate it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 6:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I used to laugh at people buying Hyundai, now I'm on my third, a
> Sonata Limited with the turbo. Pacific Blue. They've come a long way
> from the old Exel that rusted away.

Last year, my vacation rental was a Hyundai, even in a four
cylinder, it had plenty of get up and go.

In the beginning, people laughed at my Accords, but over time
I owned three of them and each one was better than the previous.
I'd buy one of those again.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 13:45:32 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>My daughter tried to take a corner a little too hot and biffed it. She
>should have placed her faith in the Electronic Stability Control and
>cranked the wheel hard. I think she would have missed that light pole.

I had an opportunity to use the ESC in a real situation. I was on a
highway doing about 65 and the road was wet. Fiddling with the CD
changer, I did not see that the idiot in front of me slowed to 40 for
some reason. (yes, I was inattentive and it was my fault). I cut the
wheel hard to the left to the next lane, then hard to the right to go
straight. It tracked like it was on rails. If I was in my Buick, I'd
be rolling down the middle of the road sideways.

I also played with the ESC in our parking lot at work one snowy day.
It allowed me to make fairly tight circles but when I turned it off, I
started to spin the wheels and slide.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 13:13:25 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> My 2006 Sonata made me feel good driving it. It was a nice ride but it
> crashed. That's the breaks.

*It* crashed - with no human help? Are you saying it was a suicidal
automobile that decided to destroy itself?

If you were the driver and therefore the cause of the crash, I'm glad
you're still alive. But, hey - think about it. You *killed* a poor,
indefensive little car that never did anything but try to please
you.... you-you-you inconsiderate BRUTE!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 20:16:44 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> Last year, my vacation rental was a Hyundai, even in a four
> cylinder, it had plenty of get up and go.

Yeah, but did it have to climb a hill - and by hill, I mean an
incline of at least 15-20%. Which we don't consider steep.
http://alphadrive.org/blog/wp-conten...rning-sign.png

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 4:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I had an opportunity to use the ESC in a real situation. I was on a
> highway doing about 65 and the road was wet. Fiddling with the CD
> changer, I did not see that the idiot in front of me slowed to 40 for
> some reason. (yes, I was inattentive and it was my fault). I cut the
> wheel hard to the left to the next lane, then hard to the right to go
> straight. It tracked like it was on rails. If I was in my Buick, I'd
> be rolling down the middle of the road sideways.
>
> I also played with the ESC in our parking lot at work one snowy day.
> It allowed me to make fairly tight circles but when I turned it off, I
> started to spin the wheels and slide.

Thanks for the real life info. ESC is the most significant advance in
automotive safety that hardly anybody is aware of.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 6:06 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2013 13:13:25 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> My 2006 Sonata made me feel good driving it. It was a nice ride but it
>> crashed. That's the breaks.

> *It* crashed - with no human help? Are you saying it was a suicidal
> automobile that decided to destroy itself?
>
> If you were the driver and therefore the cause of the crash, I'm glad
> you're still alive. But, hey - think about it. You *killed* a poor,
> indefensive little car that never did anything but try to please
> you.... you-you-you inconsiderate BRUTE!

That's life for you, even the smallest of mistakes can result in a car
being killed. I like my cars boring and least likely to draw attention.
I just wanted a dopey family car but who the heck would have guessed
that the freaking car had 240 HP and we'd be burning rubber if we pushed
a little too hard on the go pedal. That was embarrassing. In the end,
the car had too much git up and go and perhaps it was fated to come to a
bad end.

I was watching the second half of the Super Bowl when I got the call.
She said that she had a flat tire. I was later to find out that this was
an understatement of gigantic proportions. The tire was flat alright.
The suspension was bent to hell when it hit and knocked over the pole
which still had the concrete footing bolted to it. I thought those
things were suppose to breakaway or something.

The front of the car didn't have a scratch. Near as I can figure, the
car was in the air and it hit the pole on the front suspension and
subframe. There was a slight creasing of the sheet metal by the front of
the door where the subframe had dissipated the energy into sheet metal.
I didn't even notice it on first inspection. It was a pretty good demo
of the robustness of monocoque construction.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2013 12:32 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2013 20:16:44 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> Last year, my vacation rental was a Hyundai, even in a four
>> cylinder, it had plenty of get up and go.

> Yeah, but did it have to climb a hill - and by hill, I mean an
> incline of at least 15-20%. Which we don't consider steep.
> http://alphadrive.org/blog/wp-conten...rning-sign.png

I can't say, but it would likely do as well as any other 4 cylinders
I've driven over the years, some of which I've driven up Mt. Washington
with no problem.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 May 2013 10:58:59 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 5/26/2013 12:32 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 May 2013 20:16:44 -0400, Nancy Young
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Last year, my vacation rental was a Hyundai, even in a four
> >> cylinder, it had plenty of get up and go.

> > Yeah, but did it have to climb a hill - and by hill, I mean an
> > incline of at least 15-20%. Which we don't consider steep.
> > http://alphadrive.org/blog/wp-conten...rning-sign.png
> >

> I can't say, but it would likely do as well as any other 4 cylinders
> I've driven over the years, some of which I've driven up Mt. Washington
> with no problem.

I can only say that I was very glad when I didn't have a 4 banger
anymore because it didn't do well on San Francisco hills.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 May 2013 08:49:26 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> I can't say, but it would likely do as well as any other 4 cylinders
>> I've driven over the years, some of which I've driven up Mt. Washington
>> with no problem.
>>

>I can only say that I was very glad when I didn't have a 4 banger
>anymore because it didn't do well on San Francisco hills.

4 cylinder is fine if they are turbocharged. 274 HP on mine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2013 5:24 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> What's the difference between a Corvette and a cactus?
>

> A cactus has the pricks on the outside.

Now that is funny. LOL Hey, I used to own a Corvette or two. ;-)

Becca