FoodBanter.com

-   -   What is an "egg" actually doing in a flour recipe (onion rings)anyway? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/424064-what-egg-actually-doing.html)

Danny D 15-05-2013 12:20 AM

What is an "egg" actually doing in a flour recipe (onion rings)anyway?

My kid and I am just learning how to cook, and I keep seeing these
recipes that call for "an egg".

For example, we were making onion rings today and found this:
http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/co...e-onion-rings/

Seems to me, except for the seasoning, the egg & milk aren't
any better or worse than equivalent amounts of water ... but
maybe I'm missing something.

QUESTION: What 'does' the egg actually do in these recipes?

ImStillMags 15-05-2013 12:23 AM

On May 14, 4:20*pm, Danny D > wrote:
> My kid and I am just learning how to cook, and I keep seeing these
> recipes that call for "an egg".
> *http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12981834.jpg
>
> For example, we were making onion rings today and found this:http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/co...-make-onion-ri...
>
> Seems to me, except for the seasoning, the egg & milk aren't
> any better or worse than equivalent amounts of water ... but
> maybe I'm missing something.
>
> QUESTION: What 'does' the egg actually do in these recipes?

You only have to ask one.

The egg is a binder. It causes the flour to stick to whatever is
dipped in the egg wash. Ever tried to get egg off a plate. It's
like glue.
That's it's purpose.

sf[_9_] 15-05-2013 02:23 AM

What is an "egg" actually doing in a flour recipe (onion rings) anyway?

On Tue, 14 May 2013 16:23:04 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On May 14, 4:20*pm, Danny D > wrote:
> > My kid and I am just learning how to cook, and I keep seeing these
> > recipes that call for "an egg".
> > *http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12981834.jpg

Use some common sense. Don't be so literal.

> > For example, we were making onion rings today and found this:http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/co...-make-onion-ri...
> >
> > Seems to me, except for the seasoning, the egg & milk aren't
> > any better or worse than equivalent amounts of water ... but
> > maybe I'm missing something.
> >
> > QUESTION: What 'does' the egg actually do in these recipes?

> You only have to ask one.

Looks like he has Julie-itis.

> The egg is a binder. It causes the flour to stick to whatever is
> dipped in the egg wash. Ever tried to get egg off a plate. It's
> like glue.
> That's it's purpose.

Doesn't egg also leaven/lighten the batter (make it poof up) when it
cooks? IMO, a very light, crispy (and barely there) tempura batter is
best for calamari and shrimp. I don't deep fry, but rice flour or
cornstarch seem like they would be the ideal "flour" to use for
tempura and tempura batter would work well for onion rings too.

Danny D 15-05-2013 02:52 AM

On Tue, 14 May 2013 16:23:04 -0700, ImStillMags wrote:

> You only have to ask one.

Damn aioe does that every once in a while but I apologize nonetheless.
I'm not sure how to stop that.

What seems to happen is that the post "hangs", and then disappears after
about 30 seconds.

Unfortunately, there's nothing I do overtly to cause it; and more
importantly, to stop it.

Most time it only posts once. I can't figure out why it does that
threesome. Sigh.

Danny D.[_2_] 15-05-2013 03:43 AM

What is an "egg" actually doing in a flour recipe (onion rings)anyway?

On Tue, 14 May 2013 16:23:04 -0700, ImStillMags wrote:

> The egg is a binder. It's like glue.

OK. Makes sense we'd want glue, since we're trying to get
the flour to stick to the otherwise slippery onion rings.

A) The egg is a gluey binder.

PS: Sorry for the duplicate posts; I wrote to the aioe server
admin Paolo, to see if he can debug why that happens. I'll use
a different server that doesn't hiccup so much.

Danny D.[_2_] 15-05-2013 03:43 AM

On Tue, 14 May 2013 18:23:46 -0700, sf wrote:

> Doesn't egg also leaven/lighten the batter (make it poof up) when it
> cooks?

If that's the case, then it makes sense.

So what we have for the egg is:
A) Acts like a gluey binder
B) Poofs up the batter (makes it more airy, I guess)

PS: Will use a different newsserver that doesn't hiccup so much.

Julie Bove[_2_] 15-05-2013 04:20 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> Looks like he has Julie-itis.

New mouse here. Not a problem any more.

sf[_9_] 15-05-2013 04:47 AM

What is an "egg" actually doing in a flour recipe (onion rings) anyway?

On Wed, 15 May 2013 02:43:48 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
> wrote:

> PS: Will use a different newsserver that doesn't hiccup so much.

Good idea, thanks.

sf[_9_] 15-05-2013 04:47 AM

What is an "egg" actually doing in a flour recipe (onion rings) anyway?

On Tue, 14 May 2013 20:20:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > Looks like he has Julie-itis.

> New mouse here. Not a problem any more.

Oh, YES! I forgot. Danny - check out your mouse.

sf[_9_] 15-05-2013 04:48 AM

What is an "egg" actually doing in a flour recipe (onion rings) anyway?

On Wed, 15 May 2013 01:52:16 +0000 (UTC), Danny D >
wrote:

> I apologize nonetheless.
> I'm not sure how to stop that.

Read Julies post to me about "Julie-itis. :)

Julie Bove[_2_] 15-05-2013 06:05 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 May 2013 01:52:16 +0000 (UTC), Danny D >
> wrote:
>
>> I apologize nonetheless.
>> I'm not sure how to stop that.

> Read Julies post to me about "Julie-itis. :)

Yeah. Try installing a new mouse. Took me awhile to figure out that was
the problem.