Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default Kitchen Nightmares Finale 2013

Okay, it's a guilty pleasure. And I never see the topic come up here,
so that says good things about rfc.

Last night the season finale took place at Amy's Baking Company in
Scottsdal and it was the most astounding thing I've ever seen on one of
this "restaurant saving" programs. Ramsey actually gave up and left. He
says it's the first time he has given up in 200 such ventures.

It is absolutely fascinating to see if you get the chance.

One seminal element of the show is Amy & Husband's feuding with Yelpers
about their reviews. So I wen to Yelp and ran it down. The first
couple of hundred seem to relate more to the Ramsey show. But the
first few hundred (from a few years ago), are fascinating.

http://tinyurl.com/d8vsc4v

Apparently if you gave a bad review to what appears to be an INSANELY
bad restaurant, the paranoid nuts that run the place
responded--repeatedly--to your review, calling you a liar, demanding to
see the receipt to prove you were actually there. All kinds of funny
stuff.

I must say that after seeing the show and going to bed last night I
felt kind of disturbed by the thing. And when I woke up I was having a
dream about the place, also rather disturbing. You wouldn't think
restaurant reviews and restaurateurs would be that scary.

They are!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 9:11*am, gtr > wrote:
> Okay, it's a guilty pleasure. *And I never see the topic come up here,
> so that says good things about rfc.
>
> Last night the season finale took place at Amy's Baking Company in
> Scottsdal and it was the most astounding thing I've ever seen on one of
> this "restaurant saving" programs. Ramsey actually gave up and left. He
> says it's the first time he has given up in 200 such ventures.
>
> It is absolutely fascinating to see if you get the chance.
>
> One seminal element of the show is Amy & Husband's feuding with Yelpers
> about their reviews. *So I wen to Yelp and ran it down. *The first
> couple of hundred seem to relate more to the Ramsey show. *But the
> first few hundred (from a few years ago), are fascinating.
>
> * * * *http://tinyurl.com/d8vsc4v
>
> Apparently if you gave a bad review to what appears to be an INSANELY
> bad restaurant, the paranoid nuts that run the place
> responded--repeatedly--to your review, calling you a liar, demanding to
> see the receipt to prove you were actually there. *All kinds of funny
> stuff.
>
> I must say that after seeing the show and going to bed last night I
> felt kind of disturbed by the thing. And when I woke up I was having a
> dream about the place, also rather disturbing. You wouldn't think
> restaurant reviews and restaurateurs would be that scary.
>
> They are!

Watched it and both husband and wife need counseling. She's totally
dillusional.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 11, 9:11*am, gtr > wrote:

I never fault anyone for their guilty pleasures.

I've never watched Kitchen Nightmares for the same reason I don't
watch Hell's Kitchen......I don't do well with all the angst and anger
and fear, and the stuff that goes on with restauarnt owners makes my
skin crawl. I don't understand how people can need that much help,
seek it, agree for the show t come in knowing it will upset their
apple cart and then have a hissy fit about the changes.

Plus Ramsey is pretty obnoxious ....on purpose for the camera.....and
I find him off putting.

Some find it entertaining....I find it disturbing. So I don't watch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-05-11 17:15:03 +0000, ImStillMags said:

> On May 11, 9:11*am, gtr > wrote:
>
> I never fault anyone for their guilty pleasures.
>
> I've never watched Kitchen Nightmares for the same reason I don't
> watch Hell's Kitchen......I don't do well with all the angst and anger
> and fear, and the stuff that goes on with restauarnt owners makes my
> skin crawl. I don't understand how people can need that much help,
> seek it, agree for the show t come in knowing it will upset their
> apple cart and then have a hissy fit about the changes.

It is surprising that folks can be so deluded. They "need help", they
ask for it, someone arrives and looks in the walk-in and says:
"Everything here is rotting!" The owners didn't consider that while
trying to understand their businesses problems? It's really nutt. But
entertaining for a while.

It HAS become a bit formulaic though. It didn't use to be so in the
original BBC show. There seemed to be a broader diversity of problems
and solutions. Not so much in recent years.

> Plus Ramsey is pretty obnoxious ....on purpose for the camera.....and
> I find him off putting.
>
> Some find it entertaining....I find it disturbing. So I don't watch.

Commendable. We watched Hell's Kitchen for a season or two but frankly
it is disturbing in that they fetch incompetents and then winnow them
don't to the least incompetent of the lot for a prestigious job
somewhere they couldn't possibly hold for long. Like all reality shows
its about watching "real people" which has its fascinations, in very
"unreal circumstances", which is problematic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-05-11, gtr > wrote:

> It HAS become a bit formulaic though. It didn't use to be so in the
> original BBC show. There seemed to be a broader diversity of problems
> and solutions. Not so much in recent years.

OTOH, Ramsey seems to have had more success with US restos. I recall
a website that went back and looked at the UK restos and the majority
went back to the same bad practices almost before Gordon could get out
the door, and therefor failed miserably. US restos seem to take his
advice and run with it, successfully. Also, I think Gordon has calmed
down quite a bit since his early UK shows. Not so much berating,
screaming, and cursing, which I think is remarkable considering how
totally arrogant most Americans really are. I think some of these
jokers deserve way more a tongue lashing that Gordon delivers.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 May 2013 09:11:02 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> Okay, it's a guilty pleasure. And I never see the topic come up here,
> so that says good things about rfc.
>
> Last night the season finale took place at Amy's Baking Company in
> Scottsdal and it was the most astounding thing I've ever seen on one of
> this "restaurant saving" programs. Ramsey actually gave up and left. He
> says it's the first time he has given up in 200 such ventures.
>
> It is absolutely fascinating to see if you get the chance.
>
> One seminal element of the show is Amy & Husband's feuding with Yelpers
> about their reviews. So I wen to Yelp and ran it down. The first
> couple of hundred seem to relate more to the Ramsey show. But the
> first few hundred (from a few years ago), are fascinating.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/d8vsc4v
>
> Apparently if you gave a bad review to what appears to be an INSANELY
> bad restaurant, the paranoid nuts that run the place
> responded--repeatedly--to your review, calling you a liar, demanding to
> see the receipt to prove you were actually there. All kinds of funny
> stuff.
>
> I must say that after seeing the show and going to bed last night I
> felt kind of disturbed by the thing. And when I woke up I was having a
> dream about the place, also rather disturbing. You wouldn't think
> restaurant reviews and restaurateurs would be that scary.
>
> They are!

Kitchen Nightmares is not appointment television for me, so you know
it was a bad TV night if I found it.

What a kooky couple! He must be rich because normal people would be
long out of business with their poor attitude and service. It also
seems like the negative back & forth on Yelp has gone on long enough
that Yelpers would be prepared with "evidence" if their true purpose
was to inform instead of inflame.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 May 2013 18:03:45 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>OTOH, Ramsey seems to have had more success with US restos. I recall
>a website that went back and looked at the UK restos and the majority
>went back to the same bad practices almost before Gordon could get out
>the door, and therefor failed miserably. US restos seem to take his
>advice and run with it, successfully. Also, I think Gordon has calmed
>down quite a bit since his early UK shows. Not so much berating,
>screaming, and cursing, which I think is remarkable considering how
>totally arrogant most Americans really are. I think some of these
>jokers deserve way more a tongue lashing that Gordon delivers.
>
>nb

Some don't deserve to be in business at all. Do you really need to
call in a consultant to tell you to toss the rotted food? To clean
the filth? Fire an incompetent cook or water?

No one is an expert in everything so a consultant can be of help with
costing, portion control, bar tending/serving, advertising and
promotion. Cleaning the kitchen should be easy enough to figure out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 11:50*am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On 11 May 2013 18:03:45 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >OTOH, Ramsey seems to have had more success with US restos. *I recall
> >a website that went back and looked at the UK restos and the majority
> >went back to the same bad practices almost before Gordon could get out
> >the door, and therefor failed miserably. *US restos seem to take his
> >advice and run with it, successfully. *Also, I think Gordon has calmed
> >down quite a bit since his early UK shows. *Not so much berating,
> >screaming, and cursing, which I think is remarkable considering how
> >totally arrogant most Americans really are. *I think some of these
> >jokers deserve way more a tongue lashing that Gordon delivers.

> >nb

> Some don't deserve to be in business at all. *Do you really need to
> call in a consultant to tell you to toss the rotted food? *To clean
> the filth? *Fire an incompetent cook or water?
>
> No one is an expert in everything so a consultant can be of help with
> costing, portion control, bar tending/serving, advertising and
> promotion. *Cleaning the kitchen should be easy enough to figure out.

water?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:201305110911028776-xxx@yyyzzz...
> Okay, it's a guilty pleasure. And I never see the topic come up here, so
> that says good things about rfc.
>
> Last night the season finale took place at Amy's Baking Company in
> Scottsdal and it was the most astounding thing I've ever seen on one of
> this "restaurant saving" programs. Ramsey actually gave up and left. He
> says it's the first time he has given up in 200 such ventures.
>
> It is absolutely fascinating to see if you get the chance.
>
> One seminal element of the show is Amy & Husband's feuding with Yelpers
> about their reviews. So I wen to Yelp and ran it down. The first couple
> of hundred seem to relate more to the Ramsey show. But the first few
> hundred (from a few years ago), are fascinating.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/d8vsc4v
>
> Apparently if you gave a bad review to what appears to be an INSANELY bad
> restaurant, the paranoid nuts that run the place responded--repeatedly--to
> your review, calling you a liar, demanding to see the receipt to prove you
> were actually there. All kinds of funny stuff.
>
> I must say that after seeing the show and going to bed last night I felt
> kind of disturbed by the thing. And when I woke up I was having a dream
> about the place, also rather disturbing. You wouldn't think restaurant
> reviews and restaurateurs would be that scary.
>
> They are!

This one was more interesting than usual in that the Faux formula broke down
a bit.
Usually you have an owner who resists all change until the last 10 minutes
when he/she suddenly sees the light and swoons over GR. All accompanied by
dramatic music and time wasted by previews just before a commercial break
and recaps after.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 11, 12:26*pm, "graham" > wrote:
\

> This one was more interesting than usual in that the Faux formula broke down
> a bit.
> Usually you have an owner who resists all change until the last 10 minutes
> when he/she suddenly sees the light and swoons over GR. *All accompanied by
> dramatic music and time wasted by previews just before a commercial break
> and recaps after.
> Graham

yeah, formulaic.....that's the word I was looking for......it's
reality tv, formulaic and boring after the fits couple of time you see
it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/05/2013 2:50 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Some don't deserve to be in business at all. Do you really need to
> call in a consultant to tell you to toss the rotted food? To clean
> the filth? Fire an incompetent cook or water?
>
> No one is an expert in everything so a consultant can be of help with
> costing, portion control, bar tending/serving, advertising and
> promotion. Cleaning the kitchen should be easy enough to figure out.

I hate "reality" shows and IMO shows like this are nothing more than a
staged "reality".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo wrote:

> On May 11, 11:50 am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> >
> > Some don't deserve to be in business at all. Do you really need to
> > call in a consultant to tell you to toss the rotted food? To clean
> > the filth? Fire an incompetent cook or water?

> water?

Heck, I'd fire the air.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/11/2013 12:11 PM, gtr wrote:

> Okay, it's a guilty pleasure. And I never see the topic come up here,
> so that says good things about rfc.
>
> Last night the season finale took place at Amy's Baking Company in
> Scottsdal and it was the most astounding thing I've ever seen on one of
> this "restaurant saving" programs. Ramsey actually gave up and left. He
> says it's the first time he has given up in 200 such ventures.
>
> It is absolutely fascinating to see if you get the chance.

You sold me. I just started watching it on-demand.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:201305110911028776-xxx@yyyzzz...
> Okay, it's a guilty pleasure. And I never see the topic come up here, so
> that says good things about rfc.
>
> Last night the season finale took place at Amy's Baking Company in
> Scottsdal and it was the most astounding thing I've ever seen on one of
> this "restaurant saving" programs. Ramsey actually gave up and left. He
> says it's the first time he has given up in 200 such ventures.
>
> It is absolutely fascinating to see if you get the chance.
>
> One seminal element of the show is Amy & Husband's feuding with Yelpers
> about their reviews. So I wen to Yelp and ran it down. The first couple
> of hundred seem to relate more to the Ramsey show. But the first few
> hundred (from a few years ago), are fascinating.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/d8vsc4v
>
> Apparently if you gave a bad review to what appears to be an INSANELY bad
> restaurant, the paranoid nuts that run the place responded--repeatedly--to
> your review, calling you a liar, demanding to see the receipt to prove you
> were actually there. All kinds of funny stuff.
>
> I must say that after seeing the show and going to bed last night I felt
> kind of disturbed by the thing. And when I woke up I was having a dream
> about the place, also rather disturbing. You wouldn't think restaurant
> reviews and restaurateurs would be that scary.
>
> They are!

Was this the British or American version? I love that show but never know
when it's on. Mostly I seem to catch the reruns on the British channel.

Some people can be very hard headed. They might need to change but they
won't. Nor will they listen to anyone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-05-11, gtr > wrote:
>
>> It HAS become a bit formulaic though. It didn't use to be so in the
>> original BBC show. There seemed to be a broader diversity of problems
>> and solutions. Not so much in recent years.

> OTOH, Ramsey seems to have had more success with US restos. I recall
> a website that went back and looked at the UK restos and the majority
> went back to the same bad practices almost before Gordon could get out
> the door, and therefor failed miserably. US restos seem to take his
> advice and run with it, successfully. Also, I think Gordon has calmed
> down quite a bit since his early UK shows. Not so much berating,
> screaming, and cursing, which I think is remarkable considering how
> totally arrogant most Americans really are. I think some of these
> jokers deserve way more a tongue lashing that Gordon delivers.

Americans are arrogant? How so?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo wrote:
> On May 11, 11:50 am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>> On 11 May 2013 18:03:45 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>> OTOH, Ramsey seems to have had more success with US restos. I recall
>>> a website that went back and looked at the UK restos and the
>>> majority went back to the same bad practices almost before Gordon
>>> could get out the door, and therefor failed miserably. US restos
>>> seem to take his advice and run with it, successfully. Also, I
>>> think Gordon has calmed down quite a bit since his early UK shows.
>>> Not so much berating, screaming, and cursing, which I think is
>>> remarkable considering how totally arrogant most Americans really
>>> are. I think some of these jokers deserve way more a tongue lashing
>>> that Gordon delivers.

>>> nb

>> Some don't deserve to be in business at all. Do you really need to
>> call in a consultant to tell you to toss the rotted food? To clean
>> the filth? Fire an incompetent cook or water?
>>
>> No one is an expert in everything so a consultant can be of help with
>> costing, portion control, bar tending/serving, advertising and
>> promotion. Cleaning the kitchen should be easy enough to figure out.

> water?

Somewhere there is a loose "i" running around.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 11 May 2013 09:11:02 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>> Okay, it's a guilty pleasure. And I never see the topic come up
>> here, so that says good things about rfc.
>>
>> Last night the season finale took place at Amy's Baking Company in
>> Scottsdal and it was the most astounding thing I've ever seen on one
>> of this "restaurant saving" programs. Ramsey actually gave up and
>> left. He says it's the first time he has given up in 200 such
>> ventures.
>>
>> It is absolutely fascinating to see if you get the chance.
>>
>> One seminal element of the show is Amy & Husband's feuding with
>> Yelpers about their reviews. So I wen to Yelp and ran it down. The
>> first couple of hundred seem to relate more to the Ramsey show. But
>> the first few hundred (from a few years ago), are fascinating.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/d8vsc4v
>>
>> Apparently if you gave a bad review to what appears to be an INSANELY
>> bad restaurant, the paranoid nuts that run the place
>> responded--repeatedly--to your review, calling you a liar, demanding
>> to see the receipt to prove you were actually there. All kinds of
>> funny stuff.
>>
>> I must say that after seeing the show and going to bed last night I
>> felt kind of disturbed by the thing. And when I woke up I was having
>> a dream about the place, also rather disturbing. You wouldn't think
>> restaurant reviews and restaurateurs would be that scary.
>>
>> They are!

> Kitchen Nightmares is not appointment television for me, so you know
> it was a bad TV night if I found it.
>
> What a kooky couple! He must be rich because normal people would be
> long out of business with their poor attitude and service. It also
> seems like the negative back & forth on Yelp has gone on long enough
> that Yelpers would be prepared with "evidence" if their true purpose
> was to inform instead of inflame.

Used to be a pizza place in Lynnwood in the 80's. Didn't last too long.
The owner had a reputation of yelling at people, especially if they ordered
the "white" pizza. He would tell them that it was terrible and they
wouldn't like it! Now why he put it on the menu is beyond me. At that
point in time, there was no other place around here that offered it.

My husband (we weren't married then) and I went in to see just how bad he
was. And indeed he did yell at people a lot. I had intended to try to
order the white pizza just to see what happened, but then when I saw the
cheese pizza available by the slice (again something uncommon here in those
years), just ordered that. My husband asked him if he could do Strombli?
All of a suddent the owner got very nice and struck up a long conversation
with him. Again, back then Stromboli was unheard of here and I don't know
know if it can be had here although some places do Calzones now. The owner
was so pleased that my husband had not only heard of Stromboli but that his
female relatives made it at home.

So while we did witness his very bad and seemingly uncalled for bad
attitude, he was very nice to us.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> On 5/11/2013 12:11 PM, gtr wrote:
>
>> Okay, it's a guilty pleasure. And I never see the topic come up
>> here, so that says good things about rfc.
>>
>> Last night the season finale took place at Amy's Baking Company in
>> Scottsdal and it was the most astounding thing I've ever seen on one
>> of this "restaurant saving" programs. Ramsey actually gave up and
>> left. He says it's the first time he has given up in 200 such
>> ventures. It is absolutely fascinating to see if you get the chance.

> You sold me. I just started watching it on-demand.

Oooh! Gonna go look for it now!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 May 2013 23:24:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Cheryl wrote:
>> On 5/11/2013 12:11 PM, gtr wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, it's a guilty pleasure. And I never see the topic come up
>>> here, so that says good things about rfc.
>>>
>>> Last night the season finale took place at Amy's Baking Company in
>>> Scottsdal and it was the most astounding thing I've ever seen on one
>>> of this "restaurant saving" programs. Ramsey actually gave up and
>>> left. He says it's the first time he has given up in 200 such
>>> ventures. It is absolutely fascinating to see if you get the chance.

>> You sold me. I just started watching it on-demand.

>Oooh! Gonna go look for it now!

Watch it. The lady is a real nut case. The husband takes the tips
and she fires people every week.

My guess: Now that this has hit the air, they will have a slight
surge in business from curiosity seekers, then it will shut down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 May 2013 23:05:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Was this the British or American version? I love that show but never know
>when it's on. Mostly I seem to catch the reruns on the British channel.
>
>Some people can be very hard headed. They might need to change but they
>won't. Nor will they listen to anyone.

American version on Fox

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 May 2013 23:23:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Used to be a pizza place in Lynnwood in the 80's. Didn't last too long.
> The owner had a reputation of yelling at people, especially if they ordered
> the "white" pizza. He would tell them that it was terrible and they
> wouldn't like it! Now why he put it on the menu is beyond me. At that
> point in time, there was no other place around here that offered it.
>
> My husband (we weren't married then) and I went in to see just how bad he
> was. And indeed he did yell at people a lot. I had intended to try to
> order the white pizza just to see what happened,

It sounds like he was a Seinfeld fan and was emulating the Soup Nazi.

> but then when I saw the
> cheese pizza available by the slice (again something uncommon here in those
> years), just ordered that. My husband asked him if he could do Strombli?
> All of a suddent the owner got very nice and struck up a long conversation
> with him. Again, back then Stromboli was unheard of here and I don't know
> know if it can be had here although some places do Calzones now. The owner
> was so pleased that my husband had not only heard of Stromboli but that his
> female relatives made it at home.
>
> So while we did witness his very bad and seemingly uncalled for bad
> attitude, he was very nice to us.

It was probably before whatever the name of the movie was that
featured stromboli (20 or so years ago - not the earlier one titled
Stromboli). That's the first time I'd ever heard of it and I don't
think I've actually seen it on a menu yet. I'm afraid to make it at
home, mainly because I just can't see the inside baking properly - but
also, it just doesn't sound very good to me. I don't order meat pizza
and meat bread is more of the same only ickier. I do like calzones
and used to make them to put in kids lunch boxes every time I made
pizza, but mine are mainly ricotta and spinach, with a nod to meat
(but not in my calzone).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> It was probably before whatever the name of the movie was that
> featured stromboli (20 or so years ago - not the earlier one titled
> Stromboli). That's the first time I'd ever heard of it and I don't
> think I've actually seen it on a menu yet. I'm afraid to make it at
> home, mainly because I just can't see the inside baking properly - but
> also, it just doesn't sound very good to me. I don't order meat pizza
> and meat bread is more of the same only ickier. I do like calzones
> and used to make them to put in kids lunch boxes every time I made
> pizza, but mine are mainly ricotta and spinach, with a nod to meat
> (but not in my calzone).

What do you mean by 'meat bread'?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 May 2013 08:01:55 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Sat, 11 May 2013 23:24:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> >Cheryl wrote:

> >> You sold me. I just started watching it on-demand.

> >Oooh! Gonna go look for it now!
> >

> Watch it. The lady is a real nut case. The husband takes the tips
> and she fires people every week.
>
> My guess: Now that this has hit the air, they will have a slight
> surge in business from curiosity seekers, then it will shut down.

I was just thinking that Kalmia should take one for the team, go there
and report back. I'm curious now. How can they be so crowded if they
are really that bad?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 May 2013 15:35:33 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> > It was probably before whatever the name of the movie was that
> > featured stromboli (20 or so years ago - not the earlier one titled
> > Stromboli). That's the first time I'd ever heard of it and I don't
> > think I've actually seen it on a menu yet. I'm afraid to make it at
> > home, mainly because I just can't see the inside baking properly - but
> > also, it just doesn't sound very good to me. I don't order meat pizza
> > and meat bread is more of the same only ickier. I do like calzones
> > and used to make them to put in kids lunch boxes every time I made
> > pizza, but mine are mainly ricotta and spinach, with a nod to meat
> > (but not in my calzone).

> What do you mean by 'meat bread'?

Think how cinnamon bread starts off flat, you sprinkle on cinnamon
sugar and roll it up... stromboli is the same method only wetter. I
just don't see how the inside of the bread will cook properly when
it's rolled up with tomato sauce and all those other fillings.
<http://www.laurenslatest.com/how-to-make-stromboli/>
I'm not going to waste my money on it "testing" and I'm not going to
waste my time on it "trying".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 12 May 2013 15:35:33 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>
>> > It was probably before whatever the name of the movie was that
>> > featured stromboli (20 or so years ago - not the earlier one titled
>> > Stromboli). That's the first time I'd ever heard of it and I don't
>> > think I've actually seen it on a menu yet. I'm afraid to make it at
>> > home, mainly because I just can't see the inside baking properly - but
>> > also, it just doesn't sound very good to me. I don't order meat pizza
>> > and meat bread is more of the same only ickier. I do like calzones
>> > and used to make them to put in kids lunch boxes every time I made
>> > pizza, but mine are mainly ricotta and spinach, with a nod to meat
>> > (but not in my calzone).

>> What do you mean by 'meat bread'?
>>

> Think how cinnamon bread starts off flat, you sprinkle on cinnamon
> sugar and roll it up... stromboli is the same method only wetter. I
> just don't see how the inside of the bread will cook properly when
> it's rolled up with tomato sauce and all those other fillings.
> <http://www.laurenslatest.com/how-to-make-stromboli/>
> I'm not going to waste my money on it "testing" and I'm not going to
> waste my time on it "trying".

No, don't blame you. So, is 'meat bread' another way of describing
'stromboli'?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 May 2013 16:17:08 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> No, don't blame you. So, is 'meat bread' another way of describing
> 'stromboli'?

No. It's *my* way of describing it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 May 2013 16:17:08 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> No, don't blame you. So, is 'meat bread' another way of describing
>> 'stromboli'?

> No. It's *my* way of describing it.

lol no problem. Just so long as I know what it means
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/2013 11:03 AM, sf wrote:

> <http://www.laurenslatest.com/how-to-make-stromboli/>
> I'm not going to waste my money on it "testing" and I'm not going to
> waste my time on it "trying".

Stromboli is super easy to make, and delicious, but I'm sure
no one intends to force you to try it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 May 2013 08:01:55 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 11 May 2013 23:24:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>> >Oooh! Gonna go look for it now!
>> >

>> Watch it. The lady is a real nut case. The husband takes the tips
>> and she fires people every week.
>>
>> My guess: Now that this has hit the air, they will have a slight
>> surge in business from curiosity seekers, then it will shut down.

> I was just thinking that Kalmia should take one for the team, go there
> and report back. I'm curious now. How can they be so crowded if they
> are really that bad?

They take so long to serve up that the tables fill with unsuspecting
patrons.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/2013 12:03 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/12/2013 11:03 AM, sf wrote:
>
>> <http://www.laurenslatest.com/how-to-make-stromboli/>
>> I'm not going to waste my money on it "testing" and I'm not going to
>> waste my time on it "trying".

> Stromboli is super easy to make, and delicious, but I'm sure
> no one intends to force you to try it.
>
> nancy

Yep, I seem to recall Stromboli is what you take when tail-gating at
football games (in season). You've said it's super easy. I may have to
try making it sometime.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 May 2013 23:24:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Cheryl wrote:

>>> You sold me. I just started watching it on-demand.

>>Oooh! Gonna go look for it now!
>>

> Watch it. The lady is a real nut case. The husband takes the tips
> and she fires people every week.
>
> My guess: Now that this has hit the air, they will have a slight
> surge in business from curiosity seekers, then it will shut down.

Yeah. Her eyes looked crazy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 May 2013 23:05:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>Was this the British or American version? I love that show but never know
>>when it's on. Mostly I seem to catch the reruns on the British channel.
>>
>>Some people can be very hard headed. They might need to change but they
>>won't. Nor will they listen to anyone.

Thanks! I realized it was a stupid question after I saw that the place was
in AZ.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 May 2013 23:23:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> Used to be a pizza place in Lynnwood in the 80's. Didn't last too long.
>> The owner had a reputation of yelling at people, especially if they
>> ordered
>> the "white" pizza. He would tell them that it was terrible and they
>> wouldn't like it! Now why he put it on the menu is beyond me. At that
>> point in time, there was no other place around here that offered it.
>>
>> My husband (we weren't married then) and I went in to see just how bad he
>> was. And indeed he did yell at people a lot. I had intended to try to
>> order the white pizza just to see what happened,

> It sounds like he was a Seinfeld fan and was emulating the Soup Nazi.

But I am pretty sure this pre-dates Seinfeld. When was that on? The guy
was from NY though.

I wonder if the "You don't want that!", thing is common in NY. There was a
little mom and pop store near where we lived. I didn't shop there often
because the prices were high, but we were near there and I stopped in to see
if they had anything for dinner. They did have tomatoes and basil so I
asked if they had fresh Mozzarella. They did but it was just one serving.
The guy kept telling me that I didn't want it because it wouldn't be enough
for me. I actually did want it because I only wanted it for me. Husband
and daughter wouldn't eat Caprese.

>> but then when I saw the
>> cheese pizza available by the slice (again something uncommon here in
>> those
>> years), just ordered that. My husband asked him if he could do
>> Strombli?
>> All of a suddent the owner got very nice and struck up a long
>> conversation
>> with him. Again, back then Stromboli was unheard of here and I don't
>> know
>> know if it can be had here although some places do Calzones now. The
>> owner
>> was so pleased that my husband had not only heard of Stromboli but that
>> his
>> female relatives made it at home.
>>
>> So while we did witness his very bad and seemingly uncalled for bad
>> attitude, he was very nice to us.

> It was probably before whatever the name of the movie was that
> featured stromboli (20 or so years ago - not the earlier one titled
> Stromboli). That's the first time I'd ever heard of it and I don't
> think I've actually seen it on a menu yet. I'm afraid to make it at
> home, mainly because I just can't see the inside baking properly - but
> also, it just doesn't sound very good to me. I don't order meat pizza
> and meat bread is more of the same only ickier. I do like calzones
> and used to make them to put in kids lunch boxes every time I made
> pizza, but mine are mainly ricotta and spinach, with a nod to meat
> (but not in my calzone).

Yes. This would have been early/mid 80's. Stromboli is dead easy to make
and I've never had it not bake on the inside. Just use regular pizza dough,
rolled pretty thin. Put in the filling, fold it over and bake until it
starts to turn golden on the outside. About 20 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
>> It was probably before whatever the name of the movie was that
>> featured stromboli (20 or so years ago - not the earlier one titled
>> Stromboli). That's the first time I'd ever heard of it and I don't
>> think I've actually seen it on a menu yet. I'm afraid to make it at
>> home, mainly because I just can't see the inside baking properly - but
>> also, it just doesn't sound very good to me. I don't order meat pizza
>> and meat bread is more of the same only ickier. I do like calzones
>> and used to make them to put in kids lunch boxes every time I made
>> pizza, but mine are mainly ricotta and spinach, with a nod to meat
>> (but not in my calzone).

> What do you mean by 'meat bread'?

Not sure what she means. Had a neighbor who made what he called pizza
bread. It was a long, flatish loaf of bread with pizza seasonings and
pepperoni slices baked into it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 May 2013 08:01:55 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 11 May 2013 23:24:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>> >Oooh! Gonna go look for it now!
>> >

>> Watch it. The lady is a real nut case. The husband takes the tips
>> and she fires people every week.
>>
>> My guess: Now that this has hit the air, they will have a slight
>> surge in business from curiosity seekers, then it will shut down.

> I was just thinking that Kalmia should take one for the team, go there
> and report back. I'm curious now. How can they be so crowded if they
> are really that bad?

From some of what I read online, the desserts are quite good. Perhaps they
should stick to that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/2013 6:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/12/2013 12:03 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Stromboli is super easy to make, and delicious, but I'm sure
>> no one intends to force you to try it.

> Yep, I seem to recall Stromboli is what you take when tail-gating at
> football games (in season). You've said it's super easy. I may have to
> try making it sometime.

I really like it on occasion, I don't make it very often. It helps
that I start with store bought pizza dough.

There are also stuffed breads, and I don't know if they're
technically much different. I've bought them with maybe
broccoli and ricotta, sausage, any number of fillings.

They are often served cut crosswise, that's how I like to
have it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Watch it. The lady is a real nut case. The husband takes the tips
> and she fires people every week.
>
> My guess: Now that this has hit the air, they will have a slight
> surge in business from curiosity seekers, then it will shut down.

How long is it between filming the show
and airing it? I'd guess they might be
closed already.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 5/12/2013 6:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 5/12/2013 12:03 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Stromboli is super easy to make, and delicious, but I'm sure
>>> no one intends to force you to try it.

>> Yep, I seem to recall Stromboli is what you take when tail-gating at
>> football games (in season). You've said it's super easy. I may have to
>> try making it sometime.

> I really like it on occasion, I don't make it very often. It helps
> that I start with store bought pizza dough.
>
> There are also stuffed breads, and I don't know if they're
> technically much different. I've bought them with maybe
> broccoli and ricotta, sausage, any number of fillings.
>
> They are often served cut crosswise, that's how I like to
> have it.

My MIL always used store bought dough. It's very common in PA and I'm not
talking about the stuff in the can. Only fairly recently could you get it
here. And I am wishing I had it now. I got some kind of a boxed mix,
something gourmet-like that I am going to go make pretty soon here. Got it
at Wights. That's actually a nursery but they sell a lot of Christmas stuff
during the season and they also sell a lot of gift type items.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-05-12 12:01:55 +0000, Ed Pawlowski said:

> Watch it. The lady is a real nut case. The husband takes the tips
> and she fires people every week.

Another big bonus he yells, threatens and pushes a customer who after
waiting an hour or so for his pizza his complaining. Then said
customer and friend attempt to leave. The owner tries to block his
exit, demanding payment for the pizza that was never received. As they
exit the Amy, the chef is calling them pansy's or some such slur.

> My guess: Now that this has hit the air, they will have a slight
> surge in business from curiosity seekers, then it will shut down.

Check them on yelp. The last few HUNDRED of the reviews are of people
who have never been there but are incensed about one thing or other
that they saw on the show. Another group is people who've been there
but never wrote a review and figure it's time to pile on.

sf asks:

> How can they be so crowded if they are really that bad?

Gordon lauds her desserts in the program. Apparently she does one thing well.

A number of the Yelp reviews, pre-Gordon, indicate the place is empty,
or that they are only one of two couple or some such.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 3:29*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > Watch it. *The lady is a real nut case. *The husband takes the tips
> > and she fires people every week.

> > My guess: *Now that this has hit the air, they will have a slight
> > surge in business from curiosity seekers, then it will shut down.

> How long is it between filming the show
> and airing it? *I'd guess they might be
> closed already.

Still open. Read their facebook page. they are still screaming and
crying!The comments are hilarious.
https://www.facebook.com/amysbakingco?fref=ts