Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Regarding Chicken Enchiladas

I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 May 2013 14:00:50 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
> tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
> people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
> flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
> all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?
> Janet US

I'm with you: corn tortillas and green sauce. Flour tortillas fall
apart when they are exposed to liquid too long and end up pasty.
Colorado (red) vs verde (green) is simple personal preference... but I
must say although I prefer green. However, if someone wants to take
the time to make the Colorado sauce from scratch and serve it to me -
I won't turn it down.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-05-05, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
> tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
> people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
> flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
> all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?

I learned from my late MIL, who learned from a Hell's Angel (also very
late), who grew up and learned Mexican cooking at his mother's Sonoran
knee. Green (verde) sauce (typically tomatillo) is a great sauce, if
made right. The HA's trick was to quickly heat corn tortilla in hot
manteca, then dip in sauce, then roll it up with meat inside and place
in casserole dish. This must be done quickly b4 hot grease and sauce
sogs out the corn tortilla to the point it falls apart before it can
be filled. Once all rolled enchiladas are snuggly nestled, pour on
more verde sauce and top with cheese. I go with American cheeses, as
I am not a fan of Mex cheeses, except for certain applications,
enchiladas not being one.

enjoy =D
nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
> tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
> people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
> flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
> all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?
> Janet US

My daughter doesn't like green sauce and only gets the red. But corn
tortillas. There is a restaurant here that makes one kind with a flour
tortilla. Can't remember the name. It also has lettuce in it. Sort of
like a smothered burrito but the sauce is different. Very good though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, 6 May 2013 06:00:50 UTC+10, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
> tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
> people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
> flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
> all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?

"Repulsive" seems excessive. I think quite adequate, or better, enchiladas can be done with wheat tortillas and red sauce, even with chicken. Corn/green may well be much better, but that doesn't mean wheat/red is bad.

(I usually do kangaroo enchiladas when I make them, which isn't often. Corn/red as first choice, wheat/red when no corn tortillas around.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5 May 2013 22:09:45 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2013-05-05, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
>> tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
>> people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
>> flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
>> all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?

>I learned from my late MIL, who learned from a Hell's Angel (also very
>late), who grew up and learned Mexican cooking at his mother's Sonoran
>knee. Green (verde) sauce (typically tomatillo) is a great sauce, if
>made right. The HA's trick was to quickly heat corn tortilla in hot
>manteca, then dip in sauce, then roll it up with meat inside and place
>in casserole dish. This must be done quickly b4 hot grease and sauce
>sogs out the corn tortilla to the point it falls apart before it can
>be filled. Once all rolled enchiladas are snuggly nestled, pour on
>more verde sauce and top with cheese. I go with American cheeses, as
>I am not a fan of Mex cheeses, except for certain applications,
>enchiladas not being one.
>
>enjoy =D
>nb

that is exactly how I fry and sauce my enchiladas. The advantage to
dipping in sauce immediately after frying is that the sauce cools the
tortilla enough that you don't burn your fingers while filling and
rolling
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 May 2013 16:17:44 -0700 (PDT), Timo >
wrote:

>On Monday, 6 May 2013 06:00:50 UTC+10, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
>> tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
>> people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
>> flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
>> all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?

>"Repulsive" seems excessive. I think quite adequate, or better, enchiladas can be done with wheat tortillas and red sauce, even with chicken. Corn/green may well be much better, but that doesn't mean wheat/red is bad.
>
>(I usually do kangaroo enchiladas when I make them, which isn't often. Corn/red as first choice, wheat/red when no corn tortillas around.)

O.k., I indulged myself with an excessive word. But, I really can't
get my brain to accept chicken in red sauce. In my mind they just
don't go.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 3:00 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
> tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
> people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
> flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
> all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?
> Janet US

Corn tortillas with either red or green sauce, I like them both.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, 6 May 2013 10:02:55 UTC+10, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> O.k., I indulged myself with an excessive word. But, I really can't
> get my brain to accept chicken in red sauce. In my mind they just
> don't go.

Chicken cacciatore and chicken Marengo, and various chicken curries, have left me feeling that chicken and tomato-based sauces can be a pretty good combination. YMMV, and clearly does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 May 2013 18:19:32 -0700 (PDT), Timo >
wrote:

>On Monday, 6 May 2013 10:02:55 UTC+10, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> O.k., I indulged myself with an excessive word. But, I really can't
>> get my brain to accept chicken in red sauce. In my mind they just
>> don't go.

>Chicken cacciatore and chicken Marengo, and various chicken curries, have left me feeling that chicken and tomato-based sauces can be a pretty good combination. YMMV, and clearly does.

I was going to mention that I don't care for those dishes.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
> tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
> people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
> flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
> all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?

By far your way. The corn tortillas should be lightly fried, too. I stack
mine, not rolled. That's the way they are made in Mexico. As for sauce,
green works but I prefer red.

Flour tortillas are not repulsive at all to me. Just not what I prefer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 May 2013 18:02:55 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 May 2013 16:17:44 -0700 (PDT), Timo >
> wrote:
>
> >On Monday, 6 May 2013 06:00:50 UTC+10, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >> I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
> >> tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
> >> people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
> >> flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
> >> all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?

> >"Repulsive" seems excessive. I think quite adequate, or better, enchiladas can be done with wheat tortillas and red sauce, even with chicken. Corn/green may well be much better, but that doesn't mean wheat/red is bad.
> >
> >(I usually do kangaroo enchiladas when I make them, which isn't often. Corn/red as first choice, wheat/red when no corn tortillas around.)

> O.k., I indulged myself with an excessive word. But, I really can't
> get my brain to accept chicken in red sauce. In my mind they just
> don't go.

The only time I like it is when my DD takes the time to make the
Colorado sauce from scratch. I know her recipe is from Cooking Light
magazine - this might be the one.
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chil...0000000550023/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Monday, 6 May 2013 10:02:55 UTC+10, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >
> > O.k., I indulged myself with an excessive word. But, I really can't
> > get my brain to accept chicken in red sauce. In my mind they just
> > don't go.

> Chicken cacciatore and chicken Marengo, and various chicken curries, have left me feeling that chicken and tomato-based sauces can be a pretty good combination. YMMV, and clearly does.

Chili Colorado isn't a tomato sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 May 2013 22:21:52 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
>> tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
>> people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
>> flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
>> all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?

>By far your way. The corn tortillas should be lightly fried, too. I stack
>mine, not rolled. That's the way they are made in Mexico. As for sauce,
>green works but I prefer red.
>
>Flour tortillas are not repulsive at all to me. Just not what I prefer.

I like flour tortillas just fine, but not in enchiladas. I guess I am
influenced by Enchiladas Suizas -- they seem perfect to me.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 5 May 2013 22:21:52 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
. ..
>>>I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
>>> tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
>>> people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
>>> flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
>>> all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?

>>By far your way. The corn tortillas should be lightly fried, too. I
>>stack
>>mine, not rolled. That's the way they are made in Mexico. As for sauce,
>>green works but I prefer red.
>>
>>Flour tortillas are not repulsive at all to me. Just not what I prefer.
>>

> I like flour tortillas just fine, but not in enchiladas. I guess I am
> influenced by Enchiladas Suizas -- they seem perfect to me.
> Janet US

Flour tortillas are more like small burritos to me.

Do try the stacked method. Just build your layers of meat, sauce, chilis,
cheese etc. Fry the tortillas for 20 seconds then dip in hot enchilada
sauce. Five layers make a pretty tall stack. Serve by cutting like a pie.

So good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 5 May 2013 22:21:52 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:

>>>By far your way. The corn tortillas should be lightly fried, too. I
>>>stack
>>>mine, not rolled. That's the way they are made in Mexico. As for sauce,
>>>green works but I prefer red.
>>>
>>>Flour tortillas are not repulsive at all to me. Just not what I prefer.
>>>

>> I like flour tortillas just fine, but not in enchiladas. I guess I am
>> influenced by Enchiladas Suizas -- they seem perfect to me.
>> Janet US

> Flour tortillas are more like small burritos to me.
>
> Do try the stacked method. Just build your layers of meat, sauce, chilis,
> cheese etc. Fry the tortillas for 20 seconds then dip in hot enchilada
> sauce. Five layers make a pretty tall stack. Serve by cutting like a
> pie.
>
> So good.

I often do the stacked. I believe they are the Sonoran style.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> I like flour tortillas just fine, but not in enchiladas. I guess I am
> influenced by Enchiladas Suizas -- they seem perfect to me.
> Janet US

Yes, I like corn tortillas for enchiladas too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
> tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
> people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
> flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
> all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?
> Janet US

Must be corn tortillas.

Delicious with either red or green sauce.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, 6 May 2013 15:29:50 UTC+10, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 5 May 2013 18:19:32 -0700 (PDT), Timo wrote:
>
> > Chicken cacciatore and chicken Marengo, and various chicken curries, have left me feeling that chicken and tomato-based sauces can be a pretty good combination. YMMV, and clearly does.

> Chili Colorado isn't a tomato sauce.

Szechuan, Korean, and Hungarian food have taught me that chilli-red goes fine with chicken, too. Red chillies vs green chillies aren't a big deal for me; the chilli variety makes more difference, and how processed.

Australia is a Mexican food desert. It has improved; these days one can find corn tortillas. The standard commercial enchilada sauce (i.e., almost all that can be found in supermarkets) is tomato-red. One of the major brands has a green chile sauce, but I've not seen it around.

(The internet is clearly defective - about half the recipes for Chili Colorado I find have tomato.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 May 2013 16:19:55 -0700 (PDT), Timo >
wrote:

> On Monday, 6 May 2013 15:29:50 UTC+10, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 5 May 2013 18:19:32 -0700 (PDT), Timo wrote:
> >
> > > Chicken cacciatore and chicken Marengo, and various chicken curries, have left me feeling that chicken and tomato-based sauces can be a pretty good combination. YMMV, and clearly does.

> > Chili Colorado isn't a tomato sauce.

> Szechuan, Korean, and Hungarian food have taught me that chilli-red goes fine with chicken, too. Red chillies vs green chillies aren't a big deal for me; the chilli variety makes more difference, and how processed.
>
> Australia is a Mexican food desert. It has improved; these days one can find corn tortillas. The standard commercial enchilada sauce (i.e., almost all that can be found in supermarkets) is tomato-red. One of the major brands has a green chile sauce, but I've not seen it around.
>
> (The internet is clearly defective - about half the recipes for Chili Colorado I find have tomato.)

Ignorant would be a better word. Maybe they added tomato because they
used red peppers that were too hot for their tastes. I don't know why
they'd do it otherwise. Did you see the recipe I posted for a simple
Colorado sauce?

Chili verde has green chilies in it, but it has a lot of tomatillos
too. How much you use of each depends on whose recipe it is and your
personal taste, but don't bother if you can't find tomatillos.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, 7 May 2013 10:17:57 UTC+10, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 6 May 2013 16:19:55 -0700 (PDT), Timo wrote:
>
> > (The internet is clearly defective - about half the recipes for Chili Colorado I find have tomato.)

> Ignorant would be a better word. Maybe they added tomato because they
> used red peppers that were too hot for their tastes. I don't know why
> they'd do it otherwise. Did you see the recipe I posted for a simple
> Colorado sauce?

Very simple. Quite a spectrum of Chili Colorado recipes out there, from water + dried chillies/chiles + garlic to same + onions + fresh chillies + herbs/spices to same + tomatoes or tomato paste/puree. There is a large variety of Chinese chilli sauce recipes, covering the same kind of range (but more likely to have meat/seafood in the sauce, and the simpler one often have vinegar and sugar as well as chillies and water/stock), but they have different names. Seems strange to see so little agreement on something with so specific a name as Chili Colorado.

> Chili verde has green chilies in it, but it has a lot of tomatillos
> too. How much you use of each depends on whose recipe it is and your
> personal taste, but don't bother if you can't find tomatillos.

Never seen them for sale here. Did try to grow my own; the bugs loved them. I sometimes do green chilli sauce with fresh green chillies and onion, maybe some green peppers/capsicum if I want a lot of mild sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 May 2013 18:49:43 -0700 (PDT), Timo >
wrote:

> On Tuesday, 7 May 2013 10:17:57 UTC+10, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 May 2013 16:19:55 -0700 (PDT), Timo wrote:
> >
> > > (The internet is clearly defective - about half the recipes for Chili Colorado I find have tomato.)

> > Ignorant would be a better word. Maybe they added tomato because they
> > used red peppers that were too hot for their tastes. I don't know why
> > they'd do it otherwise. Did you see the recipe I posted for a simple
> > Colorado sauce?

> Very simple. Quite a spectrum of Chili Colorado recipes out there, from water + dried chillies/chiles + garlic to same + onions + fresh chillies + herbs/spices to same + tomatoes or tomato paste/puree. There is a large variety of Chinese chilli sauce recipes, covering the same kind of range (but more likely to have meat/seafood in the sauce, and the simpler one often have vinegar and sugar as well as chillies and water/stock), but they have different names. Seems strange to see so little agreement on something with so specific a name as Chili Colorado.

Not my problem. I am simply advising you that chili Colorado isn't a
tomato dish - unless you're one of those people who think if it's on
the internet, it must be true. What you do with the information is
entirely up to you.

> > Chili verde has green chilies in it, but it has a lot of tomatillos
> > too. How much you use of each depends on whose recipe it is and your
> > personal taste, but don't bother if you can't find tomatillos.

> Never seen them for sale here. Did try to grow my own; the bugs loved them. I sometimes do green chilli sauce with fresh green chillies and onion, maybe some green peppers/capsicum if I want a lot of mild sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, 7 May 2013 14:28:51 UTC+10, sf wrote:

> [...] unless you're one of those people who think if it's on
> the internet, it must be true.

Heh! The internet showed that Sturgeon was an optimist.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 May 2013 21:34:55 -0700 (PDT), Timo >
wrote:

> On Tuesday, 7 May 2013 14:28:51 UTC+10, sf wrote:
>
> > [...] unless you're one of those people who think if it's on
> > the internet, it must be true.

> Heh! The internet showed that Sturgeon was an optimist.

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 May 2013 17:17:57 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 6 May 2013 16:19:55 -0700 (PDT), Timo >
>wrote:

>> > Chili Colorado isn't a tomato sauce.

>> Szechuan, Korean, and Hungarian food have taught me that chilli-red goes fine with chicken, too. Red chillies vs green chillies aren't a big deal for me; the chilli variety makes more difference, and how processed.
>>
>> Australia is a Mexican food desert. It has improved; these days one can find corn tortillas. The standard commercial enchilada sauce (i.e., almost all that can be found in supermarkets) is tomato-red. One of the major brands has a green chile sauce, but I've not seen it around.
>>
>> (The internet is clearly defective - about half the recipes for Chili Colorado I find have tomato.)

>Ignorant would be a better word. Maybe they added tomato because they
>used red peppers that were too hot for their tastes. I don't know why
>they'd do it otherwise. Did you see the recipe I posted for a simple
>Colorado sauce?
>
>Chili verde has green chilies in it, but it has a lot of tomatillos
>too. How much you use of each depends on whose recipe it is and your
>personal taste, but don't bother if you can't find tomatillos.

Tomatillo is the flavor component as far as I am concerned. I love
that flavor.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
> tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
> people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
> flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
> all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?
> Janet US

I think "repulsive" is a bit overstated, but flour tortillas or red
sauce is wrong (the red sauce more so than the flour tortilla.)

If they are otherwise well-made, I wouldn't turn them down made with
flour tortillas or the wrong sauce. The main problem with flour
tortillas is it's hard to keep them from getting soggy.

How about red sauce on turkey made with mostly dark meat?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 May 2013 10:52:46 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

> How about red sauce on turkey made with mostly dark meat?

Turkey cries out for mole!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
>> tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
>> people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
>> flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
>> all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?
>> Janet US

>I think "repulsive" is a bit overstated, but flour tortillas or red
>sauce is wrong (the red sauce more so than the flour tortilla.)
>
>If they are otherwise well-made, I wouldn't turn them down made with
>flour tortillas or the wrong sauce. The main problem with flour
>tortillas is it's hard to keep them from getting soggy.
>
>How about red sauce on turkey made with mostly dark meat?
>
>Bob

I've skipped over all the Mexican and Tex/Mex recipes that involve
turkey. I have an iffy relationship with re-cooked turkey that I am
trying to overcome. do you think the sauce would be sufficient to
mask some of the strong turkey taste?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 07 May 2013 10:52:46 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> How about red sauce on turkey made with mostly dark meat?

> Turkey cries out for mole!

I have never tried mole. Something about recipes that call for tiny
dabs of 100 different ingredients, and I don't know which ones are
essential and which I can leave out or substitute.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 May 2013 13:40:02 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 07 May 2013 10:52:46 -0500, zxcvbob >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> How about red sauce on turkey made with mostly dark meat?

> > Turkey cries out for mole!
> >

> I have never tried mole. Something about recipes that call for tiny
> dabs of 100 different ingredients, and I don't know which ones are
> essential and which I can leave out or substitute.

I've only enjoyed other people's mole. Tried making it once on my
own, but I didn't think what I made tasted as good as when the person
who gave me the recipe made it. You can always buy mole in a jar, if
you want to try making turkey mole and don't want to attempt the mole
yourself. I just looked at several recipes. Although the ingredients
lists can be long, none had ingredients that were unusual (nothing is
stopping you from substituting one dried pepper for another) and the
one ingredient you might not find easily always had a suggested
substitution (use brown sugar).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 May 2013 12:00:25 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 07 May 2013 13:40:02 -0500, zxcvbob >
>wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>> > Turkey cries out for mole!
>> >

>> I have never tried mole. Something about recipes that call for tiny
>> dabs of 100 different ingredients, and I don't know which ones are
>> essential and which I can leave out or substitute.
>>

>I've only enjoyed other people's mole. Tried making it once on my
>own, but I didn't think what I made tasted as good as when the person
>who gave me the recipe made it. You can always buy mole in a jar, if
>you want to try making turkey mole and don't want to attempt the mole
>yourself. I just looked at several recipes. Although the ingredients
>lists can be long, none had ingredients that were unusual (nothing is
>stopping you from substituting one dried pepper for another) and the
>one ingredient you might not find easily always had a suggested
>substitution (use brown sugar).

I recently heard mole compared to curry in that there are regional
variations that can be identified by specific groups and that both
preparations can contain many ingredients and take all day to make, So
the mole you made may not have been the mole that you enjoyed
somewhere.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 May 2013 15:00:06 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I recently heard mole compared to curry in that there are regional
> variations that can be identified by specific groups and that both
> preparations can contain many ingredients and take all day to make, So
> the mole you made may not have been the mole that you enjoyed
> somewhere.

It was supposedly the same because it was hand written by the person
who made the mole I wanted to reproduce at home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 May 2013 14:38:48 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 07 May 2013 15:00:06 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>

>> I recently heard mole compared to curry in that there are regional
>> variations that can be identified by specific groups and that both
>> preparations can contain many ingredients and take all day to make, So
>> the mole you made may not have been the mole that you enjoyed
>> somewhere.

>It was supposedly the same because it was hand written by the person
>who made the mole I wanted to reproduce at home.

Ah-h-h -- it was one of those 'all in the wrist things.' You can
never get them right when a personal flair is involved.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 May 2013 21:08:52 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Tue, 07 May 2013 14:38:48 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 07 May 2013 15:00:06 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
> >

> >> I recently heard mole compared to curry in that there are regional
> >> variations that can be identified by specific groups and that both
> >> preparations can contain many ingredients and take all day to make, So
> >> the mole you made may not have been the mole that you enjoyed
> >> somewhere.

> >It was supposedly the same because it was hand written by the person
> >who made the mole I wanted to reproduce at home.

> Ah-h-h -- it was one of those 'all in the wrist things.' You can
> never get them right when a personal flair is involved.
> Janet US

Sadly, I learned that the HARD way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/7/2013 4:00 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I recently heard mole compared to curry in that there are regional
> variations that can be identified by specific groups and that both
> preparations can contain many ingredients and take all day to make, So
> the mole you made may not have been the mole that you enjoyed
> somewhere.
> Janet US

You may be right, mole could be regional. Mine doesn't take all day, and
I don't think it is hard to make. Boil a couple of ancho chiles in
chicken stock (toast them in a dry pan first, then remove seeds and
stem), saute an onion and bell pepper, add garlic at the end, brown the
chicken, blend the ancho in the chicken stock and pour over the browned
chicken, along with the onions and peppers, add a can of tomatoes and
simmer until the chicken is tender. Add a big spoonful of peanut butter
and a handful of semisweet chocolate chips. Tastes so good in enchiladas.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 May 2013 17:33:14 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

>On 5/7/2013 4:00 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> I recently heard mole compared to curry in that there are regional
>> variations that can be identified by specific groups and that both
>> preparations can contain many ingredients and take all day to make, So
>> the mole you made may not have been the mole that you enjoyed
>> somewhere.
>> Janet US

>You may be right, mole could be regional. Mine doesn't take all day, and
>I don't think it is hard to make. Boil a couple of ancho chiles in
>chicken stock (toast them in a dry pan first, then remove seeds and
>stem), saute an onion and bell pepper, add garlic at the end, brown the
>chicken, blend the ancho in the chicken stock and pour over the browned
>chicken, along with the onions and peppers, add a can of tomatoes and
>simmer until the chicken is tender. Add a big spoonful of peanut butter
>and a handful of semisweet chocolate chips. Tastes so good in enchiladas.
>
>Becca

I just looked this up. http://tinyurl.com/265hpe
Very interesting, be sure to at least scan the whole article.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On 5/7/2013 4:00 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
> > I recently heard mole compared to curry in that there are regional
> > variations that can be identified by specific groups and that both
> > preparations can contain many ingredients and take all day to make, So
> > the mole you made may not have been the mole that you enjoyed
> > somewhere.
> > Janet US

> You may be right, mole could be regional.

Mole IS regional, but I will try your version soon. I'm interested
because I don't want to spend a lot of time preparing individual
ingredients. I don't object to devoting time to parts of a recipe,
but I can't justify that much time - which is probably why I am not
interested in hard core Indian cooking.

> Mine doesn't take all day, and
> I don't think it is hard to make. Boil a couple of ancho chiles in
> chicken stock (toast them in a dry pan first, then remove seeds and
> stem), saute an onion and bell pepper, add garlic at the end, brown the
> chicken, blend the ancho in the chicken stock and pour over the browned
> chicken, along with the onions and peppers, add a can of tomatoes and
> simmer until the chicken is tender. Add a big spoonful of peanut butter
> and a handful of semisweet chocolate chips. Tastes so good in enchiladas.

Sounds good to me, thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-05-09, Feranija > wrote:

> In my opinion home made mole is not worth the effort.

Depends on what one aspires to.

I've made Rick the Dick's (Brayass) incredibly complex mole from
scratch, twice. The first time was food nirvana. I ate half that
mole by itself. Jes kept dipping in fer a taste, unable to believe
something could taste so astonishingly delicious. I didn't wanna
waste it on an actual dish. This is kinda weird, cuz my first time, I
screwed up and used all one style dried pepper instead of the two
called for in the recipe. The result was sublime. The second time, I
used both dried peppers called for. It came out totally different and
I didn't like it at all. Tossed most of it. Did I do something
wrong? Use wrong type dried pepper? Burned a pepper? I'll never
know. I been askeared to try a third time. If I could be assured of
a mole as good as my first effort, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

nb
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Bostwick View Post
I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?
Janet US
Think your right on the money. Chicken in flour torts with red sauce sounds disgusting. Must be a New Mexico deal. They eat real funny in that State.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 May 2013 16:45:16 +0100, bigwheel
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick;1832348 Wrote:
>> I am totally biased for chicken enchiladas to be made with corn
>> tortillas and green enchilada sauce. Recently I have seen several TV
>> people (and read several elsewhere) prepare chicken enchiladas with
>> flour tortillas and red sauce. I found this repulsive, but maybe I am
>> all wrong. What say you, enchilada experts?
>> Janet US

>Think your right on the money. Chicken in flour torts with red sauce
>sounds disgusting. Must be a New Mexico deal. They eat real funny in
>that State.

I thought they did Christmas there -- red and green on same item.
Janet US