Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How often do you eat in a restaurant?

I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.

And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.

How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message

> I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
> expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>
> And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
> possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>
> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?

You will see in another thread. Never if we can manage it
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 10:59 AM, George Leppla wrote:

> I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
> expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>
> And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
> possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>
> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?
>
> George L

Not even once a week. Once a month, *maybe*.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 10:59 AM, George Leppla wrote:

> I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
> expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>
> And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
> possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>
> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?

We very rarely eat out - I'm a fairly good cook, and we like what I
prepare. We were on a cruise recently, and the food was mostly very
good, but I enjoyed getting back to my own kitchen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 9:59 AM, George Leppla wrote:

> I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
> expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>
> And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
> possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>
> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?

I should mention that our office is in our home... so most days, we
never leave the house. Going out to eat helps prevent cabin fever....
breaks up the week a little.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/05/2013 10:59 AM, George Leppla wrote:

> I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
> expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>
> And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
> possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>
> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?

Breakfast, lunch, supper, snacks?

I go to a local bakery for an incredible cup of coffee and one of their
terrific muffins almost every day. I have lunch in a restaurant of some
type about once a week, and we go for supper about once ever 2-3 weeks.
I worked on the road and was on an expense account for 28 years. I had
in restaurants almost every day. We loved afternoon shifts. It was nice
to wake up without an alarm clock, but it was nice going out for dinner
with my co-workers and being able to claim it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 9:59 AM, George Leppla wrote:

> I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
> expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>
> And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
> possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>
> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?
>
> George L

...not more than once or twice a month if we are home. More frequently
when we are traveling.

Since we are in the middle of nowhere, restaurants.com and groupon don't
have many offers, but a local TV station does.

We ate out Wednesday at a local Mexican place after I spent the entire
day being *starved* and in captivity by the US Government. I was on a
jury selection panel. We were kept on one floor of the Federal building
from 8 AM to 4:30 PM with NO FOOD. At about 3 PM they passed out
bottles of tepid water. Talk about Involuntary Servitude!

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 11:47 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/5/2013 9:59 AM, George Leppla wrote:
>>
>> I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
>> expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>>
>> And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
>> possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>>
>> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?
>>
>> George L

> ..not more than once or twice a month if we are home. More frequently
> when we are traveling.
>
> Since we are in the middle of nowhere, restaurants.com and groupon don't
> have many offers, but a local TV station does.

Same here, restaurants.com and groupon are useless in this area.

> We ate out Wednesday at a local Mexican place after I spent the entire
> day being *starved* and in captivity by the US Government. I was on a
> jury selection panel. We were kept on one floor of the Federal building
> from 8 AM to 4:30 PM with NO FOOD. At about 3 PM they passed out
> bottles of tepid water. Talk about Involuntary Servitude!

Sorry to hear about that. I've only been called to jury selection once
but it wasn't federal, it was county jurisdiction. I was in and out of
there by lunchtime. I know if I'd sat there all day long I'd have been
irritated and irritable... and hungry!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/5/2013 11:47 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 5/5/2013 9:59 AM, George Leppla wrote:
>>>
>>> I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
>>> expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>>>
>>> And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
>>> possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>>>
>>> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?
>>>
>>> George L

>> ..not more than once or twice a month if we are home. More frequently
>> when we are traveling.
>>
>> Since we are in the middle of nowhere, restaurants.com and groupon don't
>> have many offers, but a local TV station does.
>>

> Same here, restaurants.com and groupon are useless in this area.
>
>> We ate out Wednesday at a local Mexican place after I spent the entire
>> day being *starved* and in captivity by the US Government. I was on a
>> jury selection panel. We were kept on one floor of the Federal building
>> from 8 AM to 4:30 PM with NO FOOD. At about 3 PM they passed out
>> bottles of tepid water. Talk about Involuntary Servitude!
>>

> Sorry to hear about that. I've only been called to jury selection once
> but it wasn't federal, it was county jurisdiction. I was in and out of
> there by lunchtime. I know if I'd sat there all day long I'd have been
> irritated and irritable... and hungry!

When I served on a jury here, there was a kitchen in the jury room and a
very nice lady who cooked our lunch We had a menu to choose from and it
was all very nice

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla > wrote in
:

> I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
> expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>
> And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
> possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>
> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?
>
> George L

Zero usually. Once or twice a year - maybe. Too expensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-05-05 14:59:42 +0000, George Leppla said:

> I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
> expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>
> And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
> possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>
> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?

Probably 2-3 times a week. We always go out on Friday night after the
wife gets off work for cocktails and dinner somewhere. Sometimes the
cocktails in one place and dinner another.

Until recently we almost always went out on Saturday night or too a
dinner party, but that's only about half the time now. On Sunday
nights, we eat out maybe once or twice a month.

For holidays and personal holidays (the day we met, married, birthdays)
we got to significant restaurants either around here or in LA (we live
just south).

But just within OC, there are hundreds of places to explore, so over
time we've worked our way through 30-40 Vietnamese resturants, as many
Japanese and maybe 25 or 30 Korean. There's scads of others, Mexican,
Indian, Italian. We have a lot of grub in SoCal.

We do *take out* from an excellent local Mexican place usually once a
week if the wife's work day goes long or everybody is too pooped to
cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 5, 2013 10:08:32 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:
> George Leppla > wrote in
>
> :
>
> > I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too

> > expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.

> > And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all

> > possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.

> > How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?

> > George L

> Zero usually. Once or twice a year - maybe. Too expensive.

When ever I get in the mood for crappy food I indulge...why waste
money on poorly prepared food cooked by some grubby unknown person
in a possibly rat-infested cockroach ridden hell-hole kitchen.
When I cook at home I know what I want and how I want it.

=======

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/05/2013 11:21 AM, S Viemeister wrote:

>> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?
>>

> We very rarely eat out - I'm a fairly good cook, and we like what I
> prepare. We were on a cruise recently, and the food was mostly very
> good, but I enjoyed getting back to my own kitchen.

It's expensive to eat out these days. Some restaurants have gone all
foofoo and charge outrageous prices. For instance, and I am going back
at least 10 years, a local winery restaurant was charging $14.95 for a
bowl of vegetable soup. What the hell can you put in vegetable soup to
make it that price. It was not expensive downtown real estate and high
rent. It was a rural location. A little more recently, about 5 years
ago, a place in our town charged $13.95 for calamari. Appretnly it was
special calamari, breaded in panko and served with their signature
sauce. Big deal.. panko. It's slightly more expensive bread crumbs, and
the sauce.... pretty sure it was bottle cocktail sauce. The main dishes
were even more outrageous.

The cheaper places serve food that most decent cooks can do better at
home. One local place had Shepherds pie, which I had not had in years.
$10.95 for what turned out to be a small portion. I could make enough
for two of us for several nights for half the price and it would be
better.

I do like to go out occasionally for Thai, Greek or middle eastern food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-05-05 16:31:52 +0000, Roy said:

> When ever I get in the mood for crappy food I indulge...why waste
> money on poorly prepared food cooked by some grubby unknown person
> in a possibly rat-infested cockroach ridden hell-hole kitchen.

That's all you have available in your entire area as a "restaurant". I
can sympathize. I once lived in Oklahoma.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Since January 1st:

the two of us: 26 eat-outs, or 52 meals.
alone: 5 meals

out of town: ( I separate the had-tos from the eat-out near homers) - 8 meals.

Thank heaven, Quicken!!

If yer innerested, the amount spent eating out is about 1/3 of what my groc. bills total. So, doncha tell ME it's cheaper to eat out than at home. AND that eat-out figure includes tax and tip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-05-05 17:26:18 +0000, Kalmia said:

> Since January 1st:
>
> the two of us: 26 eat-outs, or 52 meals.
> alone: 5 meals
>
> out of town: ( I separate the had-tos from the eat-out near homers) -
> 8 meals.
>
> Thank heaven, Quicken!!

Hey, if it's a quick cut-and-paste from your records, what were the
names of those restaurants. It would certainly help to explain this:

> If yer innerested, the amount spent eating out is about 1/3 of what my
> groc. bills total. So, doncha tell ME it's cheaper to eat out than at
> home. AND that eat-out figure includes tax and tip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 May 2013 09:59:42 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

>I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
>expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>
>And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
>possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>
>How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?

I just saw a stat recently that says 'Americans' eat 4-5 meals a week
in a restaurant. I don't know if they count McDonalds or the local
fast food joint--

So I went to look-- This page seems to say something different-
http://www.statisticbrain.com/dining-out-statistics/
[citing rasmussen]
47% rarely/never & only 7% >3x.

If that 7% is eating 20+ meals outside the home [and I know several
couples who do that]- then I suppose the average might be 4+.

I'm a 'rarely'. Grabbed a meal in early March-- probably will have a
burger at Jumpin' Jacks this summer.
http://jumpinjacksdriveininc.com/

Unless I'm on vacation or out of town for some reason I'd much rather
prepare my own food the way I like it. [and I like *my* ambiance more
than anything I've seen elsewhere.]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 May 2013 09:59:42 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

> I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
> expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>
> And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
> possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>
> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?

We ate in restaurants a lot back when I was working, but now that I'm
retired and have more time to enjoy cooking (I like what I make) -
it's only about once a week now. Usually, I have a recipe in mind
that I want to try... but sometimes I run out of steam which is when
hubby suggests dinner out. It's rarely my idea, it's usually his. I
think it's very sweet when he notices things like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 May 2013 11:21:24 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> I'm a fairly good cook, and we like what I
> prepare. We were on a cruise recently, and the food was mostly very
> good, but I enjoyed getting back to my own kitchen.

Ditto! Isn't it great to be able to enjoy your own cooking?

I have a SIL, that I consider a good cook, who hates her own food.
She raised 5 kids who never talk smack about her food, so it wasn't
that bad. I also have a GF who raised 4 kids that feels the same way,
but I've never been served anything at her house that would even
remotely back up her opinion of her own cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 May 2013 09:59:42 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

>I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
>expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>
>And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
>possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>
>How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?
>
>George L

Rarely.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 5, 2013 2:09:23 PM UTC-4, gtr wrote:
> On 2013-05-05 17:26:18 +0000, Kalmia said:
>

> > Since January 1st:

> > the two of us: 26 eat-outs, or 52 meals.

> > alone: 5 meals

> > out of town: ( I separate the had-tos from the eat-out near homers) -

> > 8 meals.

> > Thank heaven, Quicken!!

> Hey, if it's a quick cut-and-paste from your records, what were the
>
> names of those restaurants. It would certainly help to explain this:

I don't get why you want the names of the restos. Quicken tells me how many transactions I have charged to eating out. Please rephrase your question.

Maybe the figures didn't align properly. The two of us ate out 26 times
( for 52 meals), one or the other ate out alone a total for 5 times, and we had 8 meals away from our home area.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 May 2013 11:56:32 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Same here, restaurants.com and groupon are useless in this area.

Believe me, they aren't "all that" even when they are available.
There's no way on god's green earth that I'm going to buy a discount,
so Groupon and all their wannabe's are out. I never even look at
restaurant.com. I would use Waiters on Wheels before I used anything
like those two.

Open Table has 1000 point restaurants and every now and then there is
a mid-priced restaurant on the list, so that peaks my interest. The
one I've used most, and not all that often in the whole scheme of
things, is Blackboard Eats (BBE). You get a free code and show it at
the restaurant for the discount. If you decide not to use your code,
there's no money lost because you didn't buy anything.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 May 2013 16:40:33 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>Eating out has no appeal; I traveled a lot for work and ate out three
>meals-a-day, ten to 15 days per week for several years prior to
>retirement.

What time zone has weeks that long? Would be good for vacation, not
so good for work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 May 2013 09:59:42 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

>I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
>expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>
>And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
>possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>
>How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?
>
>George L

Once a month we will eat at a really nice restaurant. Once a week
we'll eat at one of the local family restaurants. About once a week
we have breakfast at McD. Couple of times a month I may bring home a
pizza.

No particular rhyme or reason and rarely much advanced planning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/13 10:59 AM, George Leppla wrote:

> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?

I eat lunch out every weekday. Not sure you'd consider all these places
restaurants, though.

I cook supper every night. My wife takes the leftovers to work for her
lunch -- she is the Queen of leftovers!

We eat supper out about once every other week. Usually a fine-dining
destination, sometimes with a groupon.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message

> I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
> expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>
> And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
> possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>
> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?
>
> George

None. We only eat out a couple of times a year. I usually prefer my own
cooking.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 10:56 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/5/2013 11:47 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>> We ate out Wednesday at a local Mexican place after I spent the entire
>> day being *starved* and in captivity by the US Government. I was on a
>> jury selection panel. We were kept on one floor of the Federal building
>> from 8 AM to 4:30 PM with NO FOOD. At about 3 PM they passed out
>> bottles of tepid water. Talk about Involuntary Servitude!
>>

> Sorry to hear about that. I've only been called to jury selection once
> but it wasn't federal, it was county jurisdiction. I was in and out of
> there by lunchtime. I know if I'd sat there all day long I'd have been
> irritated and irritable... and hungry!

Not to mention the pounding headaches.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 1:22 PM, sf wrote:

> We ate in restaurants a lot back when I was working, but now that I'm
> retired and have more time to enjoy cooking (I like what I make) -
> it's only about once a week now. Usually, I have a recipe in mind
> that I want to try... but sometimes I run out of steam which is when
> hubby suggests dinner out. It's rarely my idea, it's usually his. I
> think it's very sweet when he notices things like that.

Becca is one of the best cooks I have ever known and while I am not in
her league, I am pretty good myself. We both love to cook and we work
pretty well together. Tonight we are having Chicken Pot Pie. I cut the
chicken and made the stock and will debone the chicken. Becca will take
that stock and chicken and transform it into Chicken Pot Pie.

Maybe it is the social aspect of going out for dinner... or just
"getting out of the house".

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/13 1:24 PM, gtr wrote:
>>...possibly rat-infested cockroach ridden hell-hole kitchen.

> That's all you have available in your entire area as a "restaurant". I
> can sympathize. I once lived in Oklahoma.

8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/05/2013 3:26 PM, George Leppla wrote:

> Becca is one of the best cooks I have ever known and while I am not in
> her league, I am pretty good myself. We both love to cook and we work
> pretty well together. Tonight we are having Chicken Pot Pie. I cut the
> chicken and made the stock and will debone the chicken. Becca will take
> that stock and chicken and transform it into Chicken Pot Pie.

You're lucky. My wife and I do not work well in the kitchen so we
developed a rule. If one of us is cooking the other has to stay out of
the kitchen. To give an example...... we were once cooking a roast for
dinner. I had palnned for it to be ready at a certain time. I had the
potatoes carrots and beans all prepped and sitting in cold water. All
they needed was to have some of the water poured off, some salt and turn
on the burner at the right times. I went out to turn on the potatoes
and discovered that she had started the beans. WTF???? The only needed
a few minutes so of course they were to go on last, when everything else
was almost ready.

> Maybe it is the social aspect of going out for dinner... or just
> "getting out of the house".

There is that to it. It is nice to get out, but to a decent place that
is not too expensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 9:47 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> I spent the entire
> day being *starved* and in captivity by the US Government. I was on a
> jury selection panel. We were kept on one floor of the Federal building
> from 8 AM to 4:30 PM with NO FOOD. At about 3 PM they passed out
> bottles of tepid water. Talk about Involuntary Servitude!

That's unusual in my experience. Every time I have been called for a
jury panel or even a trial we have been given a recess of at least an
hour, sometimes as much as two, for lunch and dismissed for the day by
5PM. This has been for municipal, county and grand jury.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 1:04 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "George Leppla" > wrote in message
>>

>> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?
>>
>> George

> None. We only eat out a couple of times a year. I usually prefer my own
> cooking.
>
> Cheri

I like home-cooked food, too. It's the shopping, storage, prep,
cleanup and doing dishes that I hate. 3x7x52 it's a royal pain.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria p" > wrote in message
> On 5/5/2013 1:04 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "George Leppla" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?
>>>
>>> George

>> None. We only eat out a couple of times a year. I usually prefer my own
>> cooking.
>>
>> Cheri

> I like home-cooked food, too. It's the shopping, storage, prep, cleanup
> and doing dishes that I hate. 3x7x52 it's a royal pain.

Providing I am not in any rush, I enjoy the prep. and don't mind the clean
up much either I do it as I go along. But I do like to have something to
listen to at the same time
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 10:59 AM, George Leppla wrote:

> I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
> expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>
> And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
> possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>
> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?

When I worked, we ate out all the time. Now, I think I'm like a
lot of people where sometimes we eat out a few times a week
(generally like this time of the year when there's so much work
to be done in the yard) and other times, weeks go by and we never
go out to eat.

I could check my American Express card and do a real count, but
I think I could average eating out at least once a week but likely
not as much as twice.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 May 2013 09:59:42 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

>I love to eat out but doing that as often as I would like would be too
>expensive so we have been trying to limit ourselves to twice a week.
>
>And... I've taken to using restaurant.com or Groupon deals when at all
>possible. That way, most meals come to less than $20 to $30 total.
>
>How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?
>
>George L

Define "restaurant". I eat lunch at Safeway Deli 3 days a week
(salads mostly, occosionaly cold cuts). Wife and I eat lunch at
Burger Cit/vacaville ~ once/month. We may go to "real" restaraunt
(i.e Putah Creek Cafe/Winters, CA; Buckhorn, Winters, CA;
Symposium/Davis, CA) 4 times a year.

On specail occassions (family B-Days, etc.) may be 3-4 more times a
yr.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Every day if you count the cafeteria at work. We have 4 plus several
small cold food stations-one cafeteria is for the uppityups. They allow
everyone equal access though.

Since the uppityups get a chef and the bill is on average only $2 more,
I get takeout-I don't need a tablecloth and real silverware where you
are afraid to display bad ettiquette lol. The food is damned good,
serious meat, and the chef is out on the line and will converse with you
about the dish which makes it more fun.

So my main meal is a lunch which is more like a dinner. They have made
money hand over fist just from feeding people lunch at work. The amount
of food served is enormous-I often put half of it in the fridge for the
next day or take home for supper.

5 days a week $40 a week on average-not including my beloved diet coke
(I love those one litres they sell now. 97cents, compared to $4.50 for
3 small bottles at work-one will fit inside my purse so I take it to
work.)

Their food actually helps me to eat low carb because their food is so
meat focused-added plus I don't snooze at my desk in the afternoon.

The peons cafeteria is very much based on carbs-breads pastas rice-yawn
yawn yawn yawn yawn yawn yawn all afternoon-I think they need to rethink
that :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 5, 2013 4:30:47 PM UTC-4, gloria p wrote:
> On 5/5/2013 1:04 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
> > "George Leppla" > wrote in message

> >> How often do you eat in a restaurant every week?

> >> George

> > None. We only eat out a couple of times a year. I usually prefer my own

> > cooking.

> > Cheri

> I like home-cooked food, too. It's the shopping, storage, prep,
>
> cleanup and doing dishes that I hate. 3x7x52 it's a royal pain.

You forgot PAYING, but really - it all beats starvation.
I tried to estimate how many hours I've spent cooking and cleaning up in my life - scary.

I try to make it 2 x 6 x 45. Leftovers help immensely, plus travel and eat-outs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 5:39 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:
> Define "restaurant". I eat lunch at Safeway Deli 3 days a week
> (salads mostly, occosionaly cold cuts). Wife and I eat lunch at
> Burger Cit/vacaville ~ once/month. We may go to "real" restaraunt
> (i.e Putah Creek Cafe/Winters, CA; Buckhorn, Winters, CA;
> Symposium/Davis, CA) 4 times a year.
>
> On specail occassions (family B-Days, etc.) may be 3-4 more times a
> yr.

We like to eat in local places mostly. The local Chinese buffet is very
good and only $7.99 pp for lunch. There is a small Taqueria-Carniceria
we like to go to for breakfast once in a while, especially on the
weekend when they have Menudo. BBQ joints, etc. We like Texas
Roadhouse and do that a few times a year. There are more upscale
restaurants that we will go to for a special occassion.... but normally,
it would be unusual for us to spend more than $30 total for a meal for
the 2 of us.

One thing about the Houston area... it is wall to wall with good
restaurants so the prices are usually pretty low.

Lunch at a local diner yesterday... she had CFS special for $6.99 (inc
two sides and a drink) and I had a 1/2 pound cheeseburger and fries,
also $6.99 plus my beverage (not included). Total bill was $17, add a
$3 tip... paid with a $10 restaurant.com coupon that cost $1.60 and the
rest in case. Total cost $11.60

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/05/2013 2:22 PM, sf wrote:

> We ate in restaurants a lot back when I was working, but now that I'm
> retired and have more time to enjoy cooking (I like what I make) -
> it's only about once a week now. Usually, I have a recipe in mind
> that I want to try... but sometimes I run out of steam which is when
> hubby suggests dinner out. It's rarely my idea, it's usually his. I
> think it's very sweet when he notices things like that.

My wife and I both took early retirement, but we both got pensions that
paid 50% of old salaries. Knock off the expenses of going to work,
pension contributions (8% of gross), union dues, unemployment
insurance. and all the other work expenses... there was still a little
less disposable income. Going out for nice dinners was one of the first
things that went. It was an extravagance, but we could afford it.

These days... I look at those dinners and think of them as an incredible
indulgence. We now occasionally go out for ethnic dinners we aren't good
at doing ourselves and for an occasional greasy spoon cheap and easy
meal out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-05-05 18:40:21 +0000, Kalmia said:

>> Hey, if it's a quick cut-and-paste from your records, what were the
>> names of those restaurants. It would certainly help to explain this:

> I don't get why you want the names of the restos.

Because if they were Burger King and cafeterias it would be different
than if they were local wine-pouring Mediterranean or Indian
restaurants. I can see how eating lightly at small-town cafeteria's
might be cheaper than buying groceries.

But "curiousity" might have been an answer too. Fear not, I'm not with the IRS.

> Quicken tells me how many transactions I have charged to eating out.

If you don't have the data (as indicated above: "quick cut-and-paste")
well then you don't. That's fine.

> Please rephrase your question.

How about: "The restaurants, what were their names?"