Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default down the food allergy rabbit hole

I had lunch today with someone who is 100% sure she's allergic to gluten,
and now, soy

the soy issue was discovered after she ate a carefully deconstructed
meal and later 'reacted'

after conducting a thought experiment she concluded the salad dressing
must have contained soybean oil! so, no more soy

it's okay - you have to look hard for it but you can find wheat free soy
sauce

this woman is kind of a fitness nut - I see the allergies as these huge
barricades against the invading armies of fatness, and so far she's winning
the war, but at a certain cost..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
>I had lunch today with someone who is 100% sure she's allergic to gluten,
> and now, soy
>
> the soy issue was discovered after she ate a carefully deconstructed
> meal and later 'reacted'
>
> after conducting a thought experiment she concluded the salad dressing
> must have contained soybean oil! so, no more soy
>
> it's okay - you have to look hard for it but you can find wheat free soy
> sauce

Soy sauce does contain soy! So with a soy allergy you can't have that. If
it is soy and wheat there is a coconut product that can substitute. I think
it is called coconut animos or some such. I used it to make Teriyaki. But
it's not cheap. Not sure where to tell you to buy it though. I got mine at
TruHealth in Bothell but they are closed now. But places like PCC, Central
Market, Whole Foods, Manna Mills or even Fred Meyer are likely to carry it.

> this woman is kind of a fitness nut - I see the allergies as these huge
> barricades against the invading armies of fatness, and so far she's
> winning
> the war, but at a certain cost..

Easy enough to tell if they are true allergies, she can be tested by an
allergist. If they are intolerances, they are harder to ferret out. And
not too many people test for those.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:15:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
>>I had lunch today with someone who is 100% sure she's allergic to gluten,
>> and now, soy
>>
>> the soy issue was discovered after she ate a carefully deconstructed
>> meal and later 'reacted'
>>
>> after conducting a thought experiment she concluded the salad dressing
>> must have contained soybean oil! so, no more soy
>>
>> it's okay - you have to look hard for it but you can find wheat free soy
>> sauce

>Soy sauce does contain soy! So with a soy allergy you can't have that.

If the sauce was fermented, it might be okay.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 04:07:26 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

> I had lunch today with someone who is 100% sure she's allergic to gluten,
> and now, soy
>
> the soy issue was discovered after she ate a carefully deconstructed
> meal and later 'reacted'
>
> after conducting a thought experiment she concluded the salad dressing
> must have contained soybean oil! so, no more soy
>
> it's okay - you have to look hard for it but you can find wheat free soy
> sauce
>
> this woman is kind of a fitness nut - I see the allergies as these huge
> barricades against the invading armies of fatness, and so far she's winning
> the war, but at a certain cost..

The only way she's going to know for sure if she's allergic is with a
blood test. Until then, it's only conjecture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:15:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>Soy sauce does contain soy!

> I think the point is, she is MAKING THINGS up and then trying to
> justify them.
>
> If she REALLY wants to know if she's allergic, she should see an
> Allergist!

Quite true but people can have issues with foods that are not allergies as
well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 04:07:26 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> > wrote:
>
>> I had lunch today with someone who is 100% sure she's allergic to gluten,
>> and now, soy
>>
>> the soy issue was discovered after she ate a carefully deconstructed
>> meal and later 'reacted'
>>
>> after conducting a thought experiment she concluded the salad dressing
>> must have contained soybean oil! so, no more soy
>>
>> it's okay - you have to look hard for it but you can find wheat free soy
>> sauce
>>
>> this woman is kind of a fitness nut - I see the allergies as these huge
>> barricades against the invading armies of fatness, and so far she's
>> winning
>> the war, but at a certain cost..

> The only way she's going to know for sure if she's allergic is with a
> blood test. Until then, it's only conjecture.

True. I have had times when I had an odd reaction to something in a meal
but never could pinpoint what it was. I then just avoid that food (usually
a restaurant meal) but not necessarily the components of it. Unless of
course I begin to notice a connection. Like I did with eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Neurotics, imo. Whenever someone relates to me their food allergies, I
have already classified them as a neurotic from repeated exposure to
them. I guess you could say I have become allergic to them. Guess what,
being "nervy" can trigger unpleasant things to happen in your bowels
regardless of what particular food is churning down there :-)

On the other hand, I do have a small list of foods that are reactive,
myself. Ritz crackers, black licorice, watermelon, ham, rhubarb, and
pumpkin. Try to find a common ingredient in that list, lol.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
>I had lunch today with someone who is 100% sure she's allergic to gluten,
> and now, soy
>
> the soy issue was discovered after she ate a carefully deconstructed
> meal and later 'reacted'
>
> after conducting a thought experiment she concluded the salad dressing
> must have contained soybean oil! so, no more soy
>
> it's okay - you have to look hard for it but you can find wheat free soy
> sauce
>
> this woman is kind of a fitness nut - I see the allergies as these huge
> barricades against the invading armies of fatness, and so far she's
> winning
> the war, but at a certain cost..

By reaction I take it she required a shot of epinephrine? Or maybe she just
got sick?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

barbie gee wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Apr 2013, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> "The Other Guy" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:15:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> I think the point is, she is MAKING THINGS up and then trying to
>>> justify them.
>>>
>>> If she REALLY wants to know if she's allergic, she should see an
>>> Allergist!

>> Quite true but people can have issues with foods that are not allergies as
>> well.

> I think we're talking real, measurable, scientifically verifiable
> "issues", though, not the nebulous, "oh I can't eat onions, they don't
> agree with me" "issues".
>
> Like, lactose intolerance is a lack of digestive enzyme, they can test for
> it. Celiac, they can test for.

There are people who've convinced themselves that radio waves etc make
them sick - they sleep in special sleeping bags and wear special clothes
to protect themselves. But under controlled circumstances they can't
distinguish between a fake cell phone or a real one you've just handed
them -- either one makes them feel ill. The fact is, these people do
have a condition, but it's purely psychosomatic. I'm convinced that
many, many people have similarly talked themselves into food allergies.
In this woman's case which is not uncommon I would say it helps to
limit her food choices so she has less chance of overeating and can
help control her weight that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2013 1:27 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> There are people who've convinced themselves that radio waves etc make
> them sick - they sleep in special sleeping bags and wear special clothes
> to protect themselves. But under controlled circumstances they can't
> distinguish between a fake cell phone or a real one you've just handed
> them -- either one makes them feel ill. The fact is, these people do
> have a condition, but it's purely psychosomatic. I'm convinced that
> many, many people have similarly talked themselves into food allergies.
> In this woman's case which is not uncommon I would say it helps to
> limit her food choices so she has less chance of overeating and can
> help control her weight that way.

It's possibly a form of Munchausen (psychosomatic). Also a way to
garner attention. She's convinced herself avoiding certain foods will
prevent her from getting fat. Okay. She doesn't have to eat what she
doesn't want to. You don't have to avoid eating what she doesn't like.
Me, I'd just avoid going out to lunch with her.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 11:36:56 -0500, barbie gee >
wrote:

> I think we're talking real, measurable, scientifically verifiable
> "issues", though, not the nebulous, "oh I can't eat onions, they don't
> agree with me" "issues".

Strange as it may sound, I have a friend who avoids onions like the
plague because they will put her into anaphylactic shock - requiring a
call to 911 and a trip to the hospital.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2013 1:05 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "The Other Guy" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:15:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Soy sauce does contain soy!

>> I think the point is, she is MAKING THINGS up and then trying to
>> justify them.
>>
>> If she REALLY wants to know if she's allergic, she should see an
>> Allergist!

> Quite true but people can have issues with foods that are not allergies as
> well.

Very true. Certain medications react with certain foods. Those who
take statins need to avoid grapefruit. I have a thyroid condition so I
avoid soy.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/04/2013 12:36 PM, barbie gee wrote:

> I think we're talking real, measurable, scientifically verifiable
> "issues", though, not the nebulous, "oh I can't eat onions, they don't
> agree with me" "issues".
>
> Like, lactose intolerance is a lack of digestive enzyme, they can test
> for it. Celiac, they can test for.

There is an easy test for lactose intolerance..... give me a glass of
milk and put on a gas mask.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
>I had lunch today with someone who is 100% sure she's allergic to gluten,
> and now, soy
>
> the soy issue was discovered after she ate a carefully deconstructed
> meal and later 'reacted'
>
> after conducting a thought experiment she concluded the salad dressing
> must have contained soybean oil! so, no more soy
>
> it's okay - you have to look hard for it but you can find wheat free soy
> sauce

Soy sauce does contain soy! So with a soy allergy you can't have that. If
it is soy and wheat there is a coconut product that can substitute. I think
it is called coconut animos or some such. I used it to make Teriyaki. But
it's not cheap. Not sure where to tell you to buy it though. I got mine at
TruHealth in Bothell but they are closed now. But places like PCC, Central
Market, Whole Foods, Manna Mills or even Fred Meyer are likely to carry it.

> this woman is kind of a fitness nut - I see the allergies as these huge
> barricades against the invading armies of fatness, and so far she's
> winning
> the war, but at a certain cost..

Easy enough to tell if they are true allergies, she can be tested by an
allergist. If they are intolerances, they are harder to ferret out. And
not too many people test for those.

I am at a loss to understand people who declare themselves gluten
intolerant, yet they can drink a barrel of beer containing wheat! And, I
know that they have not been tested by an allergist. Too often, we are
speaking of what is fashionable.

Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

barbie gee wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2013, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> "The Other Guy" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:15:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> I think the point is, she is MAKING THINGS up and then trying to
>>> justify them.
>>>
>>> If she REALLY wants to know if she's allergic, she should see an
>>> Allergist!

>> Quite true but people can have issues with foods that are not
>> allergies as well.

> I think we're talking real, measurable, scientifically verifiable
> "issues", though, not the nebulous, "oh I can't eat onions, they don't
> agree with me" "issues".
>
> Like, lactose intolerance is a lack of digestive enzyme, they can
> test for it. Celiac, they can test for.

Yes but I have an issue with garlic and it doesn't show up on any test. I
can eat a small amount and it's fine. But if I eat too much I get stomach
pains. I had a friend who had the same problem and so does my SIL. I just
try to avoid things with garlic.

Also sometimes people get sick for whatever reason but they might blame it
on the food that they ate, rightly or wrongly. Then in their mind they
associate that food with being sick and can't bring themselves to eat it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
> There are people who've convinced themselves that radio waves etc make
> them sick - they sleep in special sleeping bags and wear special
> clothes to protect themselves. But under controlled circumstances
> they can't distinguish between a fake cell phone or a real one you've
> just handed them -- either one makes them feel ill. The fact is,
> these people do have a condition, but it's purely psychosomatic. I'm
> convinced that many, many people have similarly talked themselves
> into food allergies. In this woman's case which is not uncommon I
> would say it helps to limit her food choices so she has less chance
> of overeating and can help control her weight that way.

There is also a malady called Orthorexia. People who suffer from it want
their diet to be as "clean" as possible, whatever that might mean in their
minds. They might be doing it to lose weight or just be what they consider
to be healthier. In extreme cases they might limit themselves to a very few
foods an tiny portions. But often times these people do suffer with real
medical problems, perhaps even vitamin deficiencies because their diets are
so lacking. They just can't see the problem. Sometimes they will read
something like that wheat is bad for you and will just eliminate it based on
what they read or heard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/27/2013 1:27 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> There are people who've convinced themselves that radio waves etc
>> make them sick - they sleep in special sleeping bags and wear
>> special clothes to protect themselves. But under controlled
>> circumstances they can't distinguish between a fake cell phone or a
>> real one you've just handed them -- either one makes them feel ill. The
>> fact is, these people do have a condition, but it's purely
>> psychosomatic. I'm convinced that many, many people have similarly
>> talked themselves into food allergies. In this woman's case which is
>> not uncommon I would say it helps to limit her food choices so she
>> has less chance of overeating and can help control her weight that
>> way.

> It's possibly a form of Munchausen (psychosomatic). Also a way to
> garner attention. She's convinced herself avoiding certain foods will
> prevent her from getting fat. Okay. She doesn't have to eat what she
> doesn't want to. You don't have to avoid eating what she doesn't
> like. Me, I'd just avoid going out to lunch with her.

I wish you would stop using that term. You clearly don't know what it is.
You just think that you do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 11:36:56 -0500, barbie gee >
> wrote:
>
>> I think we're talking real, measurable, scientifically verifiable
>> "issues", though, not the nebulous, "oh I can't eat onions, they
>> don't agree with me" "issues".

> Strange as it may sound, I have a friend who avoids onions like the
> plague because they will put her into anaphylactic shock - requiring a
> call to 911 and a trip to the hospital.

Yes, this can happen with any food although we mostly hear about peanuts. I
know a Latino waitress who can't eat cilantro for that very reason.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Very true. Certain medications react with certain foods. Those who
> take statins need to avoid grapefruit. I have a thyroid condition so
> I avoid soy.

Yes and my daughter and I have been on something...antibiotic?...where we
could not have dairy while on it. Then there are MAO inhibitors. Not sure
exactly what they are but something for psychiatric problems. You have to
be on a very strict diet with those. And then there are people with
gallbladder issues or on dialysis. And my friend had her parathyroid
removed so had to be careful to avoid things with a lot of calcium in it.
And I worked with a woman with hemochromatosis or something like that. She
had to avoid foods high in iron.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan wrote:
> I am at a loss to understand people who declare themselves gluten
> intolerant, yet they can drink a barrel of beer containing wheat!
> And, I know that they have not been tested by an allergist. Too
> often, we are speaking of what is fashionable.

I have never met a person like that. There is gluten free beer. Are you
sure they aren't drinking that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
> I had lunch today with someone who is 100% sure she's allergic to
> gluten, and now, soy
>
> the soy issue was discovered after she ate a carefully deconstructed
> meal and later 'reacted'
>
> after conducting a thought experiment she concluded the salad dressing
> must have contained soybean oil! so, no more soy
>
> it's okay - you have to look hard for it but you can find wheat free
> soy sauce
>
> this woman is kind of a fitness nut - I see the allergies as these
> huge barricades against the invading armies of fatness, and so far
> she's winning the war, but at a certain cost..

Soy sauce contains gluten - I don't know how or why, but I know several
people who eat gluten-free who don't eat soy sauce for that reason. A
quick Google shows that wheat is usually the second ingredient after
soy. So she might not be allergic to soy just because she reacts badly
to soy sauce.

All wars have costs. Winning the war against the "invading armies of
fatness" at the cost of not eating gluten seems a worthwhile trade-off
to me.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> tert in seattle wrote:
>> I had lunch today with someone who is 100% sure she's allergic to
>> gluten, and now, soy
>>
>> the soy issue was discovered after she ate a carefully deconstructed
>> meal and later 'reacted'
>>
>> after conducting a thought experiment she concluded the salad dressing
>> must have contained soybean oil! so, no more soy
>>
>> it's okay - you have to look hard for it but you can find wheat free
>> soy sauce
>>
>> this woman is kind of a fitness nut - I see the allergies as these
>> huge barricades against the invading armies of fatness, and so far
>> she's winning the war, but at a certain cost..

> Soy sauce contains gluten - I don't know how or why, but I know several
> people who eat gluten-free who don't eat soy sauce for that reason. A
> quick Google shows that wheat is usually the second ingredient after soy.
> So she might not be allergic to soy just because she reacts badly to soy
> sauce.

There is GF soy sauce. I think Kokkoman is as is Tamari.