Old 27-04-2013, 12:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Washing Chicken Prior To Cooking?

I was snooping into another cooking group today and they were discussing
washing raw chicken, which I have always done before cooking
it....rinsing it off under water and drying it, but a poster said that
she was watching the Dr. Oz show and a doctor there said NOT to. He says
by washing you are possibly spreading germs and fecal matter through
your kitchen wherever a stray water droplet carrying the bacteria lands.

He says take it from the package and just cook it thoroughly. The high
temp will kill and germs.

I think I will continue to wash it like I always have and then wash my
hands throughly before continuing on with preparation to cook the
chicken. How many here wash raw chicken?

Judy

Old 27-04-2013, 12:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/26/2013 1:15 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

I was snooping into another cooking group today and they were discussing
washing raw chicken, which I have always done before cooking
it....rinsing it off under water and drying it, but a poster said that
she was watching the Dr. Oz show and a doctor there said NOT to. He says
by washing you are possibly spreading germs and fecal matter through
your kitchen wherever a stray water droplet carrying the bacteria lands.

He says take it from the package and just cook it thoroughly. The high
temp will kill and germs.

I think I will continue to wash it like I always have and then wash my
hands throughly before continuing on with preparation to cook the
chicken. How many here wash raw chicken?

Judy

It's a good idea because they're pretty filthy. Well, that's my belief
anyway.
Old 27-04-2013, 12:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" wrote in message

I was snooping into another cooking group today and they were discussing
washing raw chicken, which I have always done before cooking
it....rinsing it off under water and drying it, but a poster said that
she was watching the Dr. Oz show and a doctor there said NOT to. He says
by washing you are possibly spreading germs and fecal matter through
your kitchen wherever a stray water droplet carrying the bacteria lands.

He says take it from the package and just cook it thoroughly. The high
temp will kill and germs.

I think I will continue to wash it like I always have and then wash my
hands throughly before continuing on with preparation to cook the
chicken. How many here wash raw chicken?

Judy

Me too. I'm amazed that in the old days with the way people prepared their
food without consulting an expert about cooking a chicken, that they're
still alive to tell the tale. LOL

Cheri

Old 27-04-2013, 12:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-04-26, Judy Haffner wrote:

chicken. How many here wash raw chicken?

Chicken, as processed and sold in the USA, is now so totally
disgusting and horrific, I won't even buy or eat it.

nb

Old 27-04-2013, 01:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" wrote in message

I was snooping into another cooking group today and they were discussing
washing raw chicken, which I have always done before cooking
it....rinsing it off under water and drying it, but a poster said that
she was watching the Dr. Oz show and a doctor there said NOT to. He says
by washing you are possibly spreading germs and fecal matter through
your kitchen wherever a stray water droplet carrying the bacteria lands.

He says take it from the package and just cook it thoroughly. The high
temp will kill and germs.

I think I will continue to wash it like I always have and then wash my
hands throughly before continuing on with preparation to cook the
chicken. How many here wash raw chicken?

Judy

~~~~~~~~
I don't wash chicken, for the same reason as given by Dr. Oz. I wash my
hands and the cutting board thoroughly after handling chicken, but I read
several years ago that washing (or soaking) chicken is a good way of
spreading bacteria to the sink. I do keep one set of cutting boards (one
large and one small) for raw meat and poultry and another set for fruit and
veggies. It's easy to keep them separate--the boards I use for meat are
black, and the others are "natural" color.

MaryL

Old 27-04-2013, 01:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 26, 7:15*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
I was snooping into another cooking group today and they were discussing
washing raw chicken, which I have always done before cooking
it....rinsing it off under water and drying it, but a poster said that
she was watching the Dr. Oz show and a doctor there said NOT to. He says
by washing you are possibly spreading germs and fecal matter through
your kitchen wherever a stray water droplet carrying the bacteria lands.
Judy

Well, doesn't everybody go around their kitchen flinging their wet
hands and utensils after handling raw chicken? I always rinse off
chicken. After that, I wash my hands, wash the utensils, wipe off the
counter, wash out the sink, wash off the faucets, and then wash my
hands again.
Old 27-04-2013, 01:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:

I was snooping into another cooking group today and they were discussing
washing raw chicken, which I have always done before cooking
it....rinsing it off under water and drying it, but a poster said that
she was watching the Dr. Oz show and a doctor there said NOT to. He says
by washing you are possibly spreading germs and fecal matter through
your kitchen wherever a stray water droplet carrying the bacteria lands.

He says take it from the package and just cook it thoroughly. The high
temp will kill and germs.

I think I will continue to wash it like I always have and then wash my
hands throughly before continuing on with preparation to cook the
chicken. How many here wash raw chicken?

Judy

Absolutely was the chicken, the same as most every other type of meat as
well as vegetables. If it's "spreading germs" you 'aint doing it right
and your kitchen must be a bacteria incubator. I sanitize all the
surfaces in my kitchen regularly and the work surfaces every time I use
them.
Old 27-04-2013, 02:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I hate washing chicken-such a mess. I do however use paper towels to
thoroughly wipe off dry off the chicken parts. These days when I buy a
package of legs for example, they often haven't even been thoroughly
skinned! Food today makes me wish my grandparents farm had remained in
the family.

Old 27-04-2013, 03:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" wrote in message

I was snooping into another cooking group today and they were discussing
washing raw chicken, which I have always done before cooking
it....rinsing it off under water and drying it, but a poster said that
she was watching the Dr. Oz show and a doctor there said NOT to. He says
by washing you are possibly spreading germs and fecal matter through
your kitchen wherever a stray water droplet carrying the bacteria lands.

He says take it from the package and just cook it thoroughly. The high
temp will kill and germs.

I think I will continue to wash it like I always have and then wash my
hands throughly before continuing on with preparation to cook the
chicken. How many here wash raw chicken?

It is no longer advised to wash chicken and hasn't been for many years. All
you're doing when you wash it it spreading yucky stuff all over. Just cook
it.

Old 27-04-2013, 03:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:15:22 -0800, (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

she was watching the Dr. Oz show

The MORE I hear about Dr Oz, the LESS I trust him and his judgment!!!

To reply by email, lose the Ks...

Old 27-04-2013, 03:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

she was watching the Dr. Oz show

The MORE I hear about Dr Oz, the LESS I trust him and his judgment!!!

Dr. Oz is full of hooey!

Old 27-04-2013, 04:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I was snooping into another cooking group today and they were discussing
washing raw chicken, which I have always done before cooking
it....rinsing it off under water and drying it, but a poster said that
she was watching the Dr. Oz show and a doctor there said NOT to. He says
by washing you are possibly spreading germs and fecal matter through
your kitchen wherever a stray water droplet carrying the bacteria lands.

He says take it from the package and just cook it thoroughly. The high
temp will kill and germs.

I think I will continue to wash it like I always have and then wash my
hands throughly before continuing on with preparation to cook the
chicken. How many here wash raw chicken?

Not only do I not wash raw chicken, I try not to touch it at all, if
possible. I also try not to allow the chicken to touch my counter or
cutting boards. If it's being roasted, it goes straight from the
package into the roasting pan or other cooking vessel.

If I am making stir-fry, I have a big flexible plastic cutting board I
use for cutting up the chicken breasts. The raw chicken goes directly
from the package onto this cutting board, and the board gets
thoroughly cleaned when I'm done with it.

I agree with Dr Oz that you only spread germs around into your sink
etc if you wash your raw chicken. This is one of the few areas where I
agree with what he says.

Doris
Old 27-04-2013, 04:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 26, 10:57*pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 26, 7:15 pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
I was snooping into another cooking group today and they were
discussing washing raw chicken, which I have always done before
cooking it....rinsing it off under water and drying it, but a poster
said that she was watching the Dr. Oz show and a doctor there said
NOT to. He says by washing you are possibly spreading germs and
fecal matter through your kitchen wherever a stray water droplet
carrying the bacteria lands. Judy

Well, doesn't everybody go around their kitchen flinging their wet
hands and utensils after handling raw chicken? *I always rinse off
chicken. *After that, I wash my hands, wash the utensils, wipe off the
counter, wash out the sink, wash off the faucets, and then wash my
hands again.

Oh great! *Just wipe it off instead of cleaning it. *I am sooo not eating at
your house!

You're not invited anyway.