Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Washing Chicken Prior To Cooking?

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 22:08:46 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>>I never cook my chicken, just eat it straight from the package. No worry
>>with germs on the counter that way.

> GLyN the cat says HE wants to come live (AND eat) with you

LOL, I bet.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2013 1:01 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> This Canadian prof [and me, for that matter] agrees with you-
> http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...5.html?cmp=rss
>
> While he seems to know a bit about science, his daughters are likely
> headed right to the therapist for his 'over-sharing'.
>
> Jim

Picking and eating nose-gold is awesome! Awesome disgusting, that is -
unless it's your cat named "Sniffles" that's doing it. That cat has a
chronic head cold and will sneeze out a giant booger beyond anything a
human can produce. I always encourage him to clean up his own mess.
Having a pet that cleans up after itself is awesome! I'm glad to hear
that we're doing what's best for Sniffles. It's a win-win situation.
Thanks for the great news!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2013 6:22 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> We had this discussion on rfc probably 10 years ago, those who tell us
> what's good for us have been saying not to wash chicken for years.
>
> I wash my chicken, nothing's changed. I wash my mushrooms too, they get
> a quick rinse.
>
> Take that, experts.
>
> nancy

The is the right attitude - screw the experts. People worried about
airborne germs should forgo flushing their toilets too - just to be safe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:22:01 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 4/27/2013 6:22 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> > We had this discussion on rfc probably 10 years ago, those who tell us
> > what's good for us have been saying not to wash chicken for years.
> >
> > I wash my chicken, nothing's changed. I wash my mushrooms too, they get
> > a quick rinse.
> >
> > Take that, experts.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> The is the right attitude - screw the experts. People worried about
> airborne germs should forgo flushing their toilets too - just to be safe.

Correct, screw the experts. I rarely wash chicken and it has nothing
to do with airborne germs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2013 12:24 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:22:01 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 4/27/2013 6:22 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> We had this discussion on rfc probably 10 years ago, those who tell us
>>> what's good for us have been saying not to wash chicken for years.
>>>
>>> I wash my chicken, nothing's changed. I wash my mushrooms too, they get
>>> a quick rinse.
>>>
>>> Take that, experts.
>>>
>>> nancy
>>>

>> The is the right attitude - screw the experts. People worried about
>> airborne germs should forgo flushing their toilets too - just to be safe.

> Correct, screw the experts. I rarely wash chicken and it has nothing
> to do with airborne germs.

I rinse my chicken. I'd do that even if I didn't care about it being a
filthy piece of meat. It's my secret way to get flour to stick. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> I used to carry a wet noodle, but the experts weren't intimidated.
>
> The timer, now they know I'm packing some heat.

That wet noodle is seriously scary ...
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:31:55 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> I rinse my chicken. I'd do that even if I didn't care about it being a
> filthy piece of meat. It's my secret way to get flour to stick. :-)

There you go - that's our fundamental difference! Flour almost never
meets chicken in my house and when it does, it's in a slurry to make
gravy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 18:04:47 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>No quick rinse for me, I practically soak my mushrooms and I don't
>>treat them like sissies, wiping them off with a towel. I give them a
>>good scrubbing with the vegetable brush. Does that mean I'm in
>>trouble? Those things used to be wild, so I treat them as if they
>>haven't forgotten their roots.

> You REALLY buy verified wild mushrooms?

I think she meant they used to be wild . . . like chickens used to be wild.

Experienced Member

Location: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Haffner View Post
I was snooping into another cooking group today and they were discussing
washing raw chicken, which I have always done before cooking
it....rinsing it off under water and drying it, but a poster said that
she was watching the Dr. Oz show and a doctor there said NOT to. He says
by washing you are possibly spreading germs and fecal matter through
your kitchen wherever a stray water droplet carrying the bacteria lands.

He says take it from the package and just cook it thoroughly. The high
temp will kill and germs.

I think I will continue to wash it like I always have and then wash my
hands throughly before continuing on with preparation to cook the
chicken. How many here wash raw chicken?

Judy

I still do the same washing it before cooking. I think there's nothing wrong with it. Been doing it for a long time and so far I didn't get sick or anything. I just get sick from thinking it might actually dirty without even washing the chick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

>I wash my chicken, nothing's changed. I
> wash my mushrooms too, they get a
> quick rinse.

I really don't think there is such a thing as being too fussy when it
comes to proper handling of food in the kitchen, which includes
cleanliness. I rinse chicken off under running water in the sink and if
I need to cut it up, I do so on a clean cutting board, which I
immediately put in the dishwasher, along with the knife, then wash my
hands, of course. I keep a squirt bottle of Clorax and water (very
strong with Clorax) which I clean my stainless steel sinks and counter
tops with daily.

I wash my hands many times while preparing food with regular liquid soap
- not anti-bacterial.

I also wash off mushrooms, grapes, lettuce, and all berries I buy. I use
liquid soap and water on cucumbers, zucchini, green pepper (and other
peppers) and tomatoes, and also the outside of apples, oranges and
lemons before cutting, especially if going to grate the rind.

AFAIC when it comes to food one can't be too careful...that's not being
paranoid, that's being sensible.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 19:32:22 -0700, The Other Guy
> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 18:04:47 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >No quick rinse for me, I practically soak my mushrooms and I don't
> >treat them like sissies, wiping them off with a towel. I give them a
> >good scrubbing with the vegetable brush. Does that mean I'm in
> >trouble? Those things used to be wild, so I treat them as if they
> >haven't forgotten their roots.

> You REALLY buy verified wild mushrooms?

Are you trying to say that mushrooms were never wild?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 20:10:43 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> "The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 18:04:47 -0700, sf > wrote:
> >
> >>No quick rinse for me, I practically soak my mushrooms and I don't
> >>treat them like sissies, wiping them off with a towel. I give them a
> >>good scrubbing with the vegetable brush. Does that mean I'm in
> >>trouble? Those things used to be wild, so I treat them as if they
> >>haven't forgotten their roots.

> > You REALLY buy verified wild mushrooms?
> >

> I think she meant they used to be wild . . . like chickens used to be wild.

Yes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2013 3:11 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:31:55 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> I rinse my chicken. I'd do that even if I didn't care about it being a
>> filthy piece of meat. It's my secret way to get flour to stick. :-)

> There you go - that's our fundamental difference! Flour almost never
> meets chicken in my house and when it does, it's in a slurry to make
> gravy.

I'm on a Southern fried chicken kick. I love the stuff! I just use salt,
pepper, and maybe some paprika mixed into some flour. Water is used to
make the flour stick. Then I make pan gravy. The leftover dredging flour
is used to make a roux. It's good. The simple preparation is like a
connection with American cooks from hundreds of years ago. It's classic!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 19:55:24 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> It is no longer advised to wash chicken and hasn't been for many years.
>> All
>> you're doing when you wash it it spreading yucky stuff all over. Just
>> cook
>> it.

> What ever happened to foreplay?

With a chicken? You are sicker than I thought!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Janet wrote:

>> > I think she meant they used to be wild . . . like chickens used to be
>> > wild.

>> sf buys chicken that's so wild she has to wear camouflage fatigues in
>> the supermarket.
>>
>> Janet UK

> Most commercial mushrooms these days are grown in manure. Not a bad thing
> to wash them off.
>
> As for chickens? I worked way out in the county a month ago. One rainy
> morning, I saw a bunch of "free range organic chickens" all concentrated
> in
> one area so I walked over there to see what was up with that.
>
> There was a pile of dog poop (or some animal poop) and the chickens were
> all
> eating the maggots crawling around in the wet poop pile. Think about that
> next time you buy a "free range organic chicken." hahaha

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>>I wash my chicken, nothing's changed. I
>> wash my mushrooms too, they get a
>> quick rinse.

> I really don't think there is such a thing as being too fussy when it
> comes to proper handling of food in the kitchen, which includes
> cleanliness. I rinse chicken off under running water in the sink and if
> I need to cut it up, I do so on a clean cutting board, which I
> immediately put in the dishwasher, along with the knife, then wash my
> hands, of course. I keep a squirt bottle of Clorax and water (very
> strong with Clorax) which I clean my stainless steel sinks and counter
> tops with daily.
>
> I wash my hands many times while preparing food with regular liquid soap
> - not anti-bacterial.
>
> I also wash off mushrooms, grapes, lettuce, and all berries I buy. I use
> liquid soap and water on cucumbers, zucchini, green pepper (and other
> peppers) and tomatoes, and also the outside of apples, oranges and
> lemons before cutting, especially if going to grate the rind.
>
> AFAIC when it comes to food one can't be too careful...that's not being
> paranoid, that's being sensible.

of course one can be too careful. do you sprinkle your veggies with bleach
solution? Do you peel all your fruit, including grapes (hey, peeled grapes
are fantastic!) Do you use a different, clean knife for every cut? If you
are doing two chickens, do you wait for the dishwasher to finished before
you start on your second chicken? Of course one can overdo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 20:44:50 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> I'm on a Southern fried chicken kick. I love the stuff! I just use salt,
> pepper, and maybe some paprika mixed into some flour. Water is used to
> make the flour stick. Then I make pan gravy. The leftover dredging flour
> is used to make a roux. It's good. The simple preparation is like a
> connection with American cooks from hundreds of years ago. It's classic!

Not a classic in my book and it's something I've never understood.
What's the point of frying chicken when you're just going to drown it
in gravy afterward? That's a rhetorical question. I'm not looking
for an answer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 20:44:50 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> > I'm on a Southern fried chicken kick. I love the stuff! I just use salt,
> > pepper, and maybe some paprika mixed into some flour. Water is used to
> > make the flour stick. Then I make pan gravy. The leftover dredging flour
> > is used to make a roux. It's good. The simple preparation is like a
> > connection with American cooks from hundreds of years ago. It's classic!

> Not a classic in my book and it's something I've never understood.
> What's the point of frying chicken when you're just going to drown it
> in gravy afterward? That's a rhetorical question. I'm not looking
> for an answer.

Well you will get one from me, Barbara. Making the pan gravy from all the
bits goes over the mashed potatoes and maybe green beans, not the fried
chicken. Go buy some more legal pot to smoke.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 10:14:06 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Well you will get one from me, Barbara.

I've been meaning to ask you if we've ever met in person or maybe the
chat room and I told you that it's okay to emulate Steve Wertz by
addressing me as Barbara on usenet instead the my chosen screen name.
Please remind me, because I don't recall doing that. It does not come
off as friendly, cozy or folksy. It is Steve Wertz on crack style
rude behavior and I'm getting ready to put you in my kill file because
you simply don't know when to quit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote:

>There was a pile of dog poop (or some animal poop) and the chickens were all
>eating the maggots crawling around in the wet poop pile. Think about that
>next time you buy a "free range organic chicken." hahaha

Mushroom growing medium is sterile... the manure is hot composted to a
temperzture that kills all living organisms, or is pasturized by other
methods... all that's necessary is to slice off the very bottom of the
stem and brush off any bits.
http://www.mushroomcompany.com/resou...ramushroom.pdf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 20:10:43 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 18:04:47 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>
>>>No quick rinse for me, I practically soak my mushrooms and I don't
>>>treat them like sissies, wiping them off with a towel. I give them a
>>>good scrubbing with the vegetable brush. Does that mean I'm in
>>>trouble? Those things used to be wild, so I treat them as if they
>>>haven't forgotten their roots.

>> You REALLY buy verified wild mushrooms?

>I think she meant they used to be wild.

"verified" is incorrect terminology... the correct term is
*cultivated* mushrooms. All mushrooms were once only available in the
wild... they are either wild or cultivated, can't be both.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 10:14:06 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> > Well you will get one from me, Barbara.

> I've been meaning to ask you if we've ever met in person or maybe the
> chat room and I told you that it's okay to emulate Steve Wertz by
> addressing me as Barbara on usenet instead the my chosen screen name.
> Please remind me, because I don't recall doing that. It does not come
> off as friendly, cozy or folksy.

Wow. Really? I got your real name from Steve's posts as you said. But many
people here write under fake names and it's nice to know the real names. I
have never abused that knowledge, imo. I just prefer to address you (and
others) by your real first name whenever I respond to you.

> It is Steve Wertz on crack style
> rude behavior and I'm getting ready to put you in my kill file because
> you simply don't know when to quit.

More like it sounds like you can't take any conflicts with your way of
life.

Sorry to hear you are in a bitch mood today, even though I've heard you go
off on other people occasionally just like me today. You are welcome to
killfile me, BARBARA (aka...sf), it won't matter to me....seriously.

Sad though....I've always thought of you as a good RFC friend.
Live and learn, I suppose. I really am in awe at your harsh response. whoa!

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> Gary > wrote:
> >
> >There was a pile of dog poop (or some animal poop) and the chickens were all
> >eating the maggots crawling around in the wet poop pile. Think about that
> >next time you buy a "free range organic chicken." hahaha

> Mushroom growing medium is sterile... the manure is hot composted to a
> temperzture that kills all living organisms, or is pasturized by other
> methods... all that's necessary is to slice off the very bottom of the
> stem and brush off any bits.
> http://www.mushroomcompany.com/resou...ramushroom.pdf

I used to do that until one of my sons got a job on a mushroom farm
and told me about the stuff producers spray to control insects and
moulds.

I always rinse them under a running tap now (just before use) and for
larger open cup mushrooms, I peel them.

http://www.mushroombusiness.com/cont.../211/spraying-
agents-in-mushroom-cultivation

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 08:09:02 -0400, Gary > wrote:
snip

>Most commercial mushrooms these days are grown in manure. Not a bad thing
>to wash them off.

snip
>Gary

from Wiki
Mushroom cultivation substrates
Substrates

Mushroom production converts raw natural ingredients into mushroom
tissue, most notably the carbohydrate chitin.[1]

An ideal substrate will contain enough nitrogen and carbohydrate for
rapid mushroom growth. Common bulk substrates include:[12][14]
Wood chips or sawdust
Mulched straw (usually wheat, but also rice and other straws)
Strawbedded horse or poultry manure
Corncobs
Waste or recycled paper[15]
coffee pulp or grounds[16][17]
Nut and seed hulls
Cottonseed hulls
Cocoa bean hulls
Cottonseed meal
Soybean meal
Brewer's grain
Ammonium nitrate
Urea
(Phases of production)
Phase II composting or pasteurization
7–18 days via composting method, ~2 hours for pasteurization (heat
sterilization)
Reduce number of potentially harmful microbes through further
composting, or apply heat sterilization.
Remove unwanted NH3.

Mushrooms metabolize complex carbohydrates in their substrate into
glucose, which is then transported through the mycelium as needed for
growth and energy. While it is used as a main energy source, its
concentration in the growth medium should not exceed 2%. For ideal
fruiting, closer to 1% is ideal.[1]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
>Gary wrote:
>
>> Well you will get one from me, Barbara.

>I've been meaning to ask you if we've ever met in person or maybe the
>chat room and I told you that it's okay to emulate Steve Wertz by
>addressing me as Barbara on usenet instead the my chosen screen name.
>Please remind me, because I don't recall doing that. It does not come
>off as friendly, cozy or folksy. It is Steve Wertz on crack style
>rude behavior and I'm getting ready to put you in my kill file because
>you simply don't know when to quit.

No one can put sf in their kill file, her three hundred pound
cellulite ass won't fit (((_____!_____))). LOL-LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It ain't just germs I'm trying to wash away - I've spied some stray bits of blood and feathers. Plus I like to pat it bone dry.

That bit about droplets of fecal matter sets in the same category as the toothbrush in the bathroom and flushing with the lid up, or the gardener using the kitchen sink to wash hands.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2013 10:44 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 10:14:06 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Well you will get one from me, Barbara.

> I've been meaning to ask you if we've ever met in person or maybe the
> chat room and I told you that it's okay to emulate Steve Wertz by
> addressing me as Barbara on usenet instead the my chosen screen name.
> Please remind me, because I don't recall doing that. It does not come
> off as friendly, cozy or folksy. It is Steve Wertz on crack style
> rude behavior and I'm getting ready to put you in my kill file because
> you simply don't know when to quit.

Can't speak for Gary (or Steve). But I understand what you mean. I try
to remember to reply to you or refer to you as 'sf'. But I do have fun
memories from the old rfc chat days. Most everyone knew everyone's real
names. I may slip sometimes here. If so and it bothers you, I apologize.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2013 11:49 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> No one can put sf in their kill file, her three hundred pound
> cellulite ass won't fit (((_____!_____))). LOL-LOL

Oh come on, Sheldon!. When did you ever see sf? How do you know what
she weighs? Or if she has cellulite? More importantly, why do you care?

Jill