Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default No pork rinds!

I couldn't believe it. I went to the sprmkt (kroger) to buy some beef
for p/c beef bourguignon. I wanted to pick up some pork rinds
(chicarones). They had none!! Not even Lay's Baken-Ets,
ferchrynoutload! Sure, we have an bizarrely low Mexican population,
here, but that's downright un-American. Fortunately, every mini-mart
and quick-stop fer a 100 miles radius has plenty. Sure wish I could
find some authentic Mexican chicarones, the kind that can break teeth
by the row and come in bags the size of a jes-learned-to-walk child.
Dripping with Chalula. Yum!

(they also don't cary tri-tip, ever. WTF!?)

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Apr 2013 19:35:20 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> (they also don't cary tri-tip, ever. WTF!?)

I guess that means no skirt steak or flap meat either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2013 2:35 PM, notbob wrote:
> I couldn't believe it. I went to the sprmkt (kroger) to buy some beef
> for p/c beef bourguignon. I wanted to pick up some pork rinds
> (chicarones). They had none!! Not even Lay's Baken-Ets,
> ferchrynoutload! Sure, we have an bizarrely low Mexican population,
> here, but that's downright un-American. Fortunately, every mini-mart
> and quick-stop fer a 100 miles radius has plenty. Sure wish I could
> find some authentic Mexican chicarones, the kind that can break teeth
> by the row and come in bags the size of a jes-learned-to-walk child.
> Dripping with Chalula. Yum!
>
> (they also don't cary tri-tip, ever. WTF!?)
>
> nb

Have not had pork rinds in a while. We have a Mexican meat market that
cooks chicharrons, they are a couple of inches thick. They are so
delicious, I wish you could come along.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating...isseur_lat.php

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2013 3:50 PM, sf wrote:
> On 22 Apr 2013 19:35:20 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> (they also don't cary tri-tip, ever. WTF!?)

> I guess that means no skirt steak or flap meat either.

This has got to be a west coast thing. I've never seen any meat this
side of the Mississippi called skirt steak or flap meat. I have to say
"flap meat" doesn't sound very appetizing.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ema Nymton wrote:
>notbob wrote:
>> I couldn't believe it. I went to the sprmkt (kroger) to buy some beef
>> for p/c beef bourguignon. I wanted to pick up some pork rinds
>> (chicarones). They had none!!

>Have not had pork rinds in a while. We have a Mexican meat market that
>cooks chicharrons, they are a couple of inches thick. They are so
>delicious, I wish you could come along.
>
>http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating...isseur_lat.php
>
>Becca

Cueritos are better and are easy to make at home, roast a pork
shoulder or fresh ham: http://www.elboricua.com/pernil.html
Or: http://www.elboricua.com/recipes_Chicharrones.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2013 7:54 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-04-23, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Nope. I was referring to the pork rinds.

> You know what size cheapo cellophane bags I mean. 'nuff said.
>
> nb

I do.

Do you have a WalMart? They carry the inexpensive pork rinds but in
smaller bags.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:56:26 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> On 4/22/2013 6:48 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:26:55 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
> >
> >> We have the bags you describe here. I don't know how they would hold up
> >> being shipped or I'd send you a few. I'm thinking that the cost of
> >> protecting them from turning into the consistency of panko would be
> >> prohibitive.

> > I think you followed up to the wrong post...
> >
> > -sw
> >

> Nope. I was referring to the pork rinds.

I understood what you were talking about. No problem here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 22, 5:36*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:24:53 -0500, Janet Wilder
>
> > wrote:
> > The stores are less than clean, IMHO. Of course we have several here in
> > the Lower Rio Grande Valley. I don't like to shop where I have to
> > compete with flies. *YMMV

> We have a great family owned mini-chain grocery that caters to
> Mexican/South of the Boarder types (Mi Pueblo). *It's pristine clean,
> smells great, looks great, well stocked and everyone greets you with
> hola, not hello... even if you're a gringo like me. *The little
> Mexican grocery near me doesn't have a meat counter, but it has
> wonderful vegetables and a decent grocery selection. *Turns out that
> the owner used to work for Whole Foods. *There's a WF just a couple of
> blocks away from him and he's doing a great job of carving a niche to
> coexist peacefully with them. *He stocks what people want to just run
> in and buy fast, + ethnic foods WF doesn't necessarily have.... plus
> they always have the *best* tamales & pupusa's hot and ready to go at
> the checkout counter.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Here is the bes tMexican market in Bellingham, market and cafe in
one. Their chicarones are to die for and they give you a grocery bag
full. They have a great meat counter, fresh goat, etc., and a good
selection of Mexican cheeses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 23, 3:59*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:

> Here is the bes tMexican market in Bellingham, market and cafe in
> one. * Their chicarones are to die for and they give you a grocery bag
> full. * They have a great meat counter, fresh goat, etc., and a good
> selection of Mexican cheeses.

forgot the link.....duh

http://lagloriamarket.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 23, 4:00*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Apr 23, 3:59*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>

> > Here is the bes tMexican market in Bellingham, market and cafe in
> > one. * Their chicarones are to die for and they give you a grocery bag
> > full. * They have a great meat counter, fresh goat, etc., and a good
> > selection of Mexican cheeses.

> forgot the link.....duh
>
> http://lagloriamarket.com/

be sure to watch the video.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2013 5:50 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>> Have not had pork rinds in a while. We have a Mexican meat market that
>> cooks chicharrons, they are a couple of inches thick. They are so
>> delicious, I wish you could come along.
>>
>> http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating...isseur_lat.php

> We have 7 La Mihiocana Markets in Austin. Their fried pork belly can
> be pretty dry you really need some very wet salsa to be able to
> swallow them. I usually just get the smaller 1" chunks.
>
> Ordering from the meat counter can be very difficult since nobody
> there speaks English and they will purposely skip over helping you if
> there is any other Mexican in line behind you (not once, but a half
> dozen times). So I practically never go there any more.
>
> -sw

That photo looked good, so I snagged it. I have a photo of the
chicharrons we ordered on FB, but I can not post it here. La Mihiocana
is a big chain, although not as big as Fiesta. The Mexican meat market &
store we go to, is called La Hacienda, they have always been friendly.
We need to go back, because I am not going to cook chicharrons or menudo
at home. They keep bringing you tortillas even though you say, no mas.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Apr 2013 19:35:20 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I couldn't believe it. I went to the sprmkt (kroger) to buy some beef
>for p/c beef bourguignon. I wanted to pick up some pork rinds
>(chicarones). They had none!! Not even Lay's Baken-Ets,
>ferchrynoutload! Sure, we have an bizarrely low Mexican population,
>here, but that's downright un-American. Fortunately, every mini-mart
>and quick-stop fer a 100 miles radius has plenty. Sure wish I could
>find some authentic Mexican chicarones, the kind that can break teeth
>by the row and come in bags the size of a jes-learned-to-walk child.
>Dripping with Chalula. Yum!
>
>(they also don't cary tri-tip, ever. WTF!?)
>
>nb

I was going to offer to send you some chicarones but you might find
what you want here.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...rocery%2 C354

or
http://tinyurl.com/bpurbhm

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-04-22 19:35:20 +0000, notbob said:

> I couldn't believe it. I went to the sprmkt (kroger) to buy some beef
> for p/c beef bourguignon. I wanted to pick up some pork rinds
> (chicarones).

Now are you talking about real chicharones, a big slab of pork skin
which you can do with as you please. Or are you talking about a
potato-chip like bags of mildly flavored pork puffs?

I've never seen the real-deal chicharones except in my local Mexican
supermarkets.

> Sure wish I could
> find some authentic Mexican chicarones, the kind that can break teeth
> by the row and come in bags the size of a jes-learned-to-walk child.
> Dripping with Chalula. Yum!

I guess you were talking about the pork puffs.

I had never bought a big chunk of chicarones, frankly I was scared of
the stuff. I bought some about 3 years ago before we hosted a part. I
whittled it up in finger-sized pieces and through it in a bowl by where
I was bartending as guests arrived. They guys went into a *****ing
frenzy* over the stuff, the equivalent of what I see in dogs as "milk
bone hysteria". They just kept munching, with expletives, and the
occasional aside that they were trimming days off their
life-expectancy. The women (bless them all!) and the vegetarians stood
off at a distance giving us the stink-eye.

We're hosting another party in a couple of weeks and I thought I'd repeat it.

It is what I consider about the most decadent food there is.

Goes great with a martini, or beer, or cab or whatever€¦

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-04-22 22:50:25 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 16:55:10 -0500, Ema Nymton wrote:
>
>> On 4/22/2013 2:35 PM, notbob wrote:
>>> I couldn't believe it. I went to the sprmkt (kroger) to buy some beef
>>> for p/c beef bourguignon. I wanted to pick up some pork rinds
>>> (chicarones). They had none!! Not even Lay's Baken-Ets,
>>> ferchrynoutload! Sure, we have an bizarrely low Mexican population,
>>> here, but that's downright un-American. Fortunately, every mini-mart
>>> and quick-stop fer a 100 miles radius has plenty. Sure wish I could
>>> find some authentic Mexican chicarones, the kind that can break teeth
>>> by the row and come in bags the size of a jes-learned-to-walk child.
>>> Dripping with Chalula. Yum!
>>>
>>> (they also don't cary tri-tip, ever. WTF!?)
>>>
>>> nb

>> Have not had pork rinds in a while. We have a Mexican meat market that
>> cooks chicharrons, they are a couple of inches thick. They are so
>> delicious, I wish you could come along.
>>
>> http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating...isseur_lat.php

> We have 7 La Mihiocana Markets in Austin. Their fried pork belly can
> be pretty dry you really need some very wet salsa to be able to
> swallow them. I usually just get the smaller 1" chunks.
>
> Ordering from the meat counter can be very difficult since nobody
> there speaks English and they will purposely skip over helping you if
> there is any other Mexican in line behind you (not once, but a half
> dozen times). So I practically never go there any more.

Ain't that the truth: One of the reasons I never managed to try
chicharones for so long. But the place I've been to recently, everyone
in the meat market area is quick to jump right on me. I'm not sure if
it's because they want to nurture the business (no need!), or what.
But they are very responsive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2013 5:54 PM, gtr wrote:
> I had never bought a big chunk of chicarones, frankly I was scared of
> the stuff. I bought some about 3 years ago before we hosted a part. I
> whittled it up in finger-sized pieces and through it in a bowl by where
> I was bartending as guests arrived. They guys went into a *****ing
> frenzy* over the stuff, the equivalent of what I see in dogs as "milk
> bone hysteria". They just kept munching, with expletives, and the
> occasional aside that they were trimming days off their
> life-expectancy. The women (bless them all!) and the vegetarians stood
> off at a distance giving us the stink-eye.
>
> We're hosting another party in a couple of weeks and I thought I'd repeat it.
>
> It is what I consider about the most decadent food there is.
>
> Goes great with a martini, or beer, or cab or whatever€¦

Chop it up in small pieces and scramble it with eggs and onions. Serve
with warm corn tortillas and salsa for breakfast.

Thank me later.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-04-27 23:10:07 +0000, George Leppla said:

> On 4/27/2013 5:54 PM, gtr wrote:
>> I had never bought a big chunk of chicarones, frankly I was scared of
>> the stuff. I bought some about 3 years ago before we hosted a part. I
>> whittled it up in finger-sized pieces and through it in a bowl by where
>> I was bartending as guests arrived. They guys went into a *****ing
>> frenzy* over the stuff, the equivalent of what I see in dogs as "milk
>> bone hysteria". They just kept munching, with expletives, and the
>> occasional aside that they were trimming days off their
>> life-expectancy. The women (bless them all!) and the vegetarians stood
>> off at a distance giving us the stink-eye.
>>
>> We're hosting another party in a couple of weeks and I thought I'd repeat it.
>>
>> It is what I consider about the most decadent food there is.
>>
>> Goes great with a martini, or beer, or cab or whatever€¦

> Chop it up in small pieces and scramble it with eggs and onions. Serve
> with warm corn tortillas and salsa for breakfast.
>
> Thank me later.

That sounds good. If the adage that bacon is good on anything for those
who love bacon, chicharones should apply...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2013 12:40 AM, gtr wrote:
> On 2013-04-27 23:10:07 +0000, George Leppla said:

>> Chop it up in small pieces and scramble it with eggs and onions.
>> Serve with warm corn tortillas and salsa for breakfast.
>>
>> Thank me later.

> That sounds good. If the adage that bacon is good on anything for those
> who love bacon, chicharones should apply...

George and I shared a chicharrone this morning. We bought two, before,
and we could not eat both of them, so I brought it home and refrigerated
it. The chicharron sliced up nice and thin the next day, for breakfast
tacos.

Becca

pork rinds Mikhail T. Barbecue 0 07-11-2006 12:55 AM
pork rinds Kevin S. Wilson Barbecue 24 28-10-2006 01:06 PM
pork rinds TeaLady (Mari C.) Barbecue 0 27-10-2006 02:54 AM
pork rinds Ace Lightning Barbecue 4 25-10-2006 10:04 PM
Using ground pork rinds. Gill Murray Diabetic 2 20-05-2006 08:17 AM