Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Restaurant recommendations in Boston area?

I will be visiting the Boston area in June, and am looking for good
places to eat. One place I want to visit is the Hilltop Steakhouse,
which I visited on a trip to Boston about 20 years ago; back then it
was considered one of the best steakhouses in the US, and I'm curious
if it is still highly regarded. Another thing I want to eat is a
Lobster Boil (I'm not sure if that is what it is called), with the
lobster and shrimp and crab and corn and sausage and it's all boiled
together in a pot and served in a tray. Does anybody know of a good
restaurant up there that serves this? Also, any sandwich or pizza or
other food recommendations (especially for Lobster Rolls or Clam
Chowder) would be appreciated. I'll be staying in Revere, MA, so
anywhere in that vicinity would be helpful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 15:11:16 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor
> wrote:

> I will be visiting the Boston area in June, and am looking for good
> places to eat. One place I want to visit is the Hilltop Steakhouse,
> which I visited on a trip to Boston about 20 years ago; back then it
> was considered one of the best steakhouses in the US, and I'm curious
> if it is still highly regarded. Another thing I want to eat is a
> Lobster Boil (I'm not sure if that is what it is called), with the
> lobster and shrimp and crab and corn and sausage and it's all boiled
> together in a pot and served in a tray. Does anybody know of a good
> restaurant up there that serves this? Also, any sandwich or pizza or
> other food recommendations (especially for Lobster Rolls or Clam
> Chowder) would be appreciated. I'll be staying in Revere, MA, so
> anywhere in that vicinity would be helpful.

Good luck! I was trying to find a simple bucket of steamers (clams)
as we traveled down the East Coast last Fall, and came up with
nothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Look up Durgin-Park Restaurant in Boston, good food and a fun place to eat. Also check out Fanueil Hall. The Hilltop is still good as far as I know.

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 15:25:37 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 15:11:16 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor
> wrote:

>Good luck! I was trying to find a simple bucket of steamers (clams)
>as we traveled down the East Coast last Fall, and came up with
>nothing.

They exist, but are more rare than you'd expect in coastal New
England. Many will have cherrystones on the menu, but not as the old
fashioned "bucket" That is usually found at the smaller places that
open in the summer.

Every few months we heat down here for lunch
http://www.skippersdock.com/menus_first.html

and then go pick up a case of wine.
http://www.stoningtonvineyards.com/

As for places to eat in Boston, plenty of good Italian in the North
End.

For a fun seafood adventure, this was the place to go, but I've not
been there for a few years
http://www.nonamerestaurant.com/
You won't find fresher or better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 23:13:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 15:25:37 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

> >Good luck! I was trying to find a simple bucket of steamers (clams)
> >as we traveled down the East Coast last Fall, and came up with
> >nothing.

> They exist, but are more rare than you'd expect in coastal New
> England. Many will have cherrystones on the menu, but not as the old
> fashioned "bucket" That is usually found at the smaller places that
> open in the summer.

I discovered that! No buckets and was told only once that it's just a
summer thing in restaurants that cater to tourists. I was trying to
recreate an experience I had in college with acquaintances (boyfriend
of my friend and all his friends) in Rhode Island. Oh, well. Times
past, as they say.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael OConnor" > wrote in message
>I will be visiting the Boston area in June, and am looking for good
> places to eat. One place I want to visit is the Hilltop Steakhouse,
> which I visited on a trip to Boston about 20 years ago; back then it
> was considered one of the best steakhouses in the US, and I'm curious
> if it is still highly regarded. Another thing I want to eat is a
> Lobster Boil (I'm not sure if that is what it is called), with the
> lobster and shrimp and crab and corn and sausage and it's all boiled
> together in a pot and served in a tray. Does anybody know of a good
> restaurant up there that serves this? Also, any sandwich or pizza or
> other food recommendations (especially for Lobster Rolls or Clam
> Chowder) would be appreciated. I'll be staying in Revere, MA, so
> anywhere in that vicinity would be helpful.

Union Oyster House, Durgans Park, Legal Seafood.

UOH is my favorite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 20, 11:13*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> For a fun seafood adventure, this was the place to go, but I've not
> been there for a few yearshttp://www.nonamerestaurant.com/
> You won't find fresher or better.

I haven't been to the Noname since the pier was redeveloped many years
ago. It used to be the best (although rustic) place in town for fish
and seafood. Even in the driving snow in the middle of winter there
would be a line out the door.

Is it still good? Is it anywhere near its previous quality?

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 7:31*am, Helpful person > wrote:
> On Apr 20, 11:13*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>

> > For a fun seafood adventure, this was the place to go, but I've not
> > been there for a few yearshttp://www.nonamerestaurant.com/
> > You won't find fresher or better.

> I haven't been to the Noname since the pier was redeveloped many years
> ago. *It used to be the best (although rustic) place in town for fish
> and seafood. *Even in the driving snow in the middle of winter there
> would be a line out the door.
>
> Is it still good? *Is it anywhere near its previous quality?
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

I just read some reviews. It seems that the food is now below par.
What a shame.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael OConnor wrote:

>Good luck! I was trying to find a simple bucket of steamers (clams)
>as we traveled down the East Coast last Fall, and came up with
>nothing.

Steamers are readily available everywhere around Long Island:
http://www.groundupgourmet.com/clamm...-island-sound/
http://captreeclam.com/long-island-clams-types.htm
http://jpshellfish.com/maine_steamer_clams.php
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I DO hope you can spend some hours at the Museum of Fine Arts. It takes days to see all the galleries, but worth it. Also, the Gardner is well worth the visit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2013 11:45 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 23:13:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 15:25:37 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>

>>> Good luck! I was trying to find a simple bucket of steamers (clams)
>>> as we traveled down the East Coast last Fall, and came up with
>>> nothing.

>> They exist, but are more rare than you'd expect in coastal New
>> England. Many will have cherrystones on the menu, but not as the old
>> fashioned "bucket" That is usually found at the smaller places that
>> open in the summer.

> I discovered that! No buckets and was told only once that it's just a
> summer thing in restaurants that cater to tourists. I was trying to
> recreate an experience I had in college with acquaintances (boyfriend
> of my friend and all his friends) in Rhode Island. Oh, well. Times
> past, as they say.

I seem to recall having great lobsters and buckets of steamers in
Plymouth. There were two places, both on the water, neither of them
fancy and both of them very, very good.

After we get back from our cruise which lands in Boston in
mid-September, we will be wanting some lobstah and steamahs. I hope
there is some place we can get them heading south along the coast.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A friend in the area recs the new Legal Seafoods in the South End.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
>A friend in the area recs the new Legal Seafoods in the South End.

They do come highly recommended. They always did the catering for the golf
course where I worked. But I did not mention them because wasn't sure they
were in Boston.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote:

>On 4/21/2013 5:15 PM, Susan wrote:

-snip-

>> I actually hit my lobstah limit one year, didn't know I *had* one!

Mine is still unknown, unfortunately.<g>

>> Susan

>We have done Bah Habah many times. Our favorite Lobstah pound is in
>Trenton, ME on US 1.

The name didn't ring a bell, so I googled to see what the name of *my*
fav was. I don't know if it was called that 20 yrs ago, the last
time I made it that far north, but that's the one! [But it is off Rt
1 by a couple miles]

The last time we were there, hurricane Bob was headed for Bar Harbor
so my wife sent me for takeout while she taped up the windows in our
cabin. When I went back across the bridge there was
bumper-to-bumper traffic all the way back to town-- going the other
way. eery-
-snip-

>I swear that I will have DH's tombstone read: "baseball is life, the
>rest is just details"

Do it. My wife's [in a National Cemetery] says 'Gone Kayaking'- and
it still makes me smile. The feds only allow 13 characters
including spaces so it also gives me, and, I'm sure, Kathy, great
satisfaction that we used all of them.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 19:26:08 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

-snip-
>I don't even dip mine in clarified butter. I just eat it plain and it's
>soooo sweet and succulent. The big claws are my favorite part.

I dip the first bite. I'm a claw person too-- My wife and I made a
good lobster pair-- I'd get 2 lobsters & she'd get the tails-- I got
the rest.

I like the tomally, too-- but I had to sneak it -- Damn all this talk
of lobstah-- I may have to eat one and it is a long drive to the
coast.

I forget who the OP was- but feel compelled to warn them that in
Boston they can get 3-4-5lb lobster. [no maximum size limit like
Maine] *don't get a giant one* IMO the 2 lb lobster is as big as I
like-- and I won't touch a soft shelled one. If there is a scratched
up, barnacle encrusted lobster in the pot-- that's the one for me.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2013 7:05 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> On 4/21/2013 5:15 PM, Susan wrote:

> -snip-
>>>
>>> I actually hit my lobstah limit one year, didn't know I *had* one!

> Mine is still unknown, unfortunately.<g>
>>>
>>> Susan

>> We have done Bah Habah many times. Our favorite Lobstah pound is in
>> Trenton, ME on US 1.

> The name didn't ring a bell, so I googled to see what the name of *my*
> fav was. I don't know if it was called that 20 yrs ago, the last
> time I made it that far north, but that's the one! [But it is off Rt
> 1 by a couple miles]
>
> The last time we were there, hurricane Bob was headed for Bar Harbor
> so my wife sent me for takeout while she taped up the windows in our
> cabin.

I recall being told by an idiot that taping glass windows when a
hurricane is coming was stupid. I don't think it's stupid to want to
prevent flying glass, do you?

> When I went back across the bridge there was
> bumper-to-bumper traffic all the way back to town-- going the other
> way. eery-

Yes, that would be eery.

> -snip-
>>
>> I swear that I will have DH's tombstone read: "baseball is life, the
>> rest is just details"

> Do it. My wife's [in a National Cemetery] says 'Gone Kayaking'- and
> it still makes me smile. The feds only allow 13 characters
> including spaces so it also gives me, and, I'm sure, Kathy, great
> satisfaction that we used all of them.
>
> Jim

Nice inscription, Jim. It's nice you can smile about it. Sounds like
many good and shared memories and fondness. That's nice. The 'feds'
got my mother's date of birth wrong on her marker (also a National
Cemetery). I thought when they arranged the funeral they'd get the date
off the death certificate. Those dates are correct. But someone made a
mistake (not me!) on the marker; it says she was born in 1916, not 1926.

I was so overwhelmed by everything when Mom died I didn't notice the
typo on the year. You only have a short period of time to verify and
change things before they set the marker. My mother is probably
chuckling at having "officially" lived 10 years longer than she actually
did.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2013 6:05 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> On 4/21/2013 5:15 PM, Susan wrote:

> -snip-
>>>
>>> I actually hit my lobstah limit one year, didn't know I *had* one!

> Mine is still unknown, unfortunately.<g>
>>>
>>> Susan

>> We have done Bah Habah many times. Our favorite Lobstah pound is in
>> Trenton, ME on US 1.

> The name didn't ring a bell, so I googled to see what the name of *my*
> fav was. I don't know if it was called that 20 yrs ago, the last
> time I made it that far north, but that's the one! [But it is off Rt
> 1 by a couple miles]
>
> The last time we were there, hurricane Bob was headed for Bar Harbor
> so my wife sent me for takeout while she taped up the windows in our
> cabin. When I went back across the bridge there was
> bumper-to-bumper traffic all the way back to town-- going the other
> way. eery-
> -snip-
>>
>> I swear that I will have DH's tombstone read: "baseball is life, the
>> rest is just details"

> Do it. My wife's [in a National Cemetery] says 'Gone Kayaking'- and
> it still makes me smile. The feds only allow 13 characters
> including spaces so it also gives me, and, I'm sure, Kathy, great
> satisfaction that we used all of them.
>
> Jim

He's going to have mine engraved "she never paid retail"

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My fave used to be The Lobster Pound in Ogunquit - not sure if still there tho.
The Warren's in Kittery failed in my estimation last time there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/04/2013 10:16 AM, Susan wrote:

>> I forget who the OP was- but feel compelled to warn them that in
>> Boston they can get 3-4-5lb lobster. [no maximum size limit like
>> Maine] *don't get a giant one* IMO the 2 lb lobster is as big as I
>> like-- and I won't touch a soft shelled one. If there is a scratched
>> up, barnacle encrusted lobster in the pot-- that's the one for me.

> 2 lb is my minimum size, maybe 1.75 if no other option. We've found,
> with diligent research, that 4 pounders are still wonderful, 5 is tough
> and much less enjoyable.

Is it a matter of the lobster flesh itself in one that large, or is it
the cooking? As I had mentioned, lobster used to be outrageously
expensive here. It is much more affordable these days, in fact, less per
pound than it was 20 years ago. I didn't think it was worth the price,
and a lot of that was because it was tough. I later realized that was
due to overcooking.

Around here, the price per pound increases a lot with the size of hte
lobster. 1-1/2 - 1-1/2 lb are the most common size, and I prefer
something a little larger because the legs are big enough to bother
cracking open and digging into.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 19:26:08 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
> -snip-
> >I don't even dip mine in clarified butter. I just eat it plain and it's
> >soooo sweet and succulent. The big claws are my favorite part.

> I dip the first bite. I'm a claw person too-- My wife and I made a
> good lobster pair-- I'd get 2 lobsters & she'd get the tails-- I got
> the rest.
>
> I like the tomally, too-- but I had to sneak it -- Damn all this talk
> of lobstah-- I may have to eat one and it is a long drive to the
> coast.

I do wish ppl would quit with NE accent spelling... like "lobstah." That's
so annoying.

> I forget who the OP was- but feel compelled to warn them that in
> Boston they can get 3-4-5lb lobster. [no maximum size limit like
> Maine] *don't get a giant one* IMO the 2 lb lobster is as big as I
> like-- and I won't touch a soft shelled one. If there is a scratched
> up, barnacle encrusted lobster in the pot-- that's the one for me.

Best lobstER meal for me was once, we took a big one. Boiled it to done,
then took out the intestines. You can eat most of that. We took it out and
fried in butter with very small minced onions and celery. Added some garlic,
sage and bread crumbs, then added in the meat from the small claw plus some
Blue Crab meat. Fried all this up, packed it back into the body cavity and
broiled it for a few minutes.

Final result - all this tasty stuffing mix plus the large claw and the
abdomen meat to eat as is. Very good eats.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Susan wrote:

> From memory, I think our cooking time is 10 min for the first lb, then3
> for each additional lb. Never had a bad lobster of any size that way
> when boiling or steaming.

I could be wrong but that sounds like overkill cooking. That would be 22
minutes for a 5 pounder. Too much, I suspect. Just my suspicion. I
haven't done lobster in many years though. I'm probably wrong.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Susan wrote:

> On 4/22/2013 1:46 PM, Gary wrote:
>
> > I could be wrong but that sounds like overkill cooking. That would be 22
> > minutes for a 5 pounder. Too much, I suspect. Just my suspicion. I
> > haven't done lobster in many years though. I'm probably wrong.
> >

> 22 minutes is probably not enough for that large a lobster, unless you
> want slimy dark roe and a gelatinous, uncooked tail.tips.aspx
>
> I think this is what I ended up doing, but I've never overcooked a
> lobster in my life, too big a waste...
>
> http://www.lobsteranywhere.com/maine...category/guide

Thanks Susan. I was right when I said I might be wrong.
Reading through all that really made me hungry for seafood.

G.