FoodBanter.com

-   -   Deep Fried Cicadas? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/423707-deep-fried-cicadas.html)

jmcquown[_2_] 14-04-2013 05:16 PM

Deep Fried Cicadas?

I won't be looking for cicadas even if I *did* own a deep-fryer. But
the 17-year critters are returning again.

I read this in another blurb from Smithsonian mag:

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food...0414-Weekender

Tiny URL:

http://tinyurl.com/c45kgtp

"Think of them like “land shellfish.” Like shrimp, lobster and crabs,
cicadas are anthropods. Gaye L. Williams, an entomologist from the
Maryland Department of Agriculture told the Baltimore Sun: “They’re in
the same animal group as shrimp and crabs, and people don’t think twice
about that.” (If you’re allergic to shellfish, exercise caution when
experimenting with cicadas)."

Um, if I say "pass the cicadas" what I'll mean is "no thanks, I'll pass!" :)

Jill

Ed Pawlowski 15-04-2013 02:49 AM

Deep Fried Cicadas?

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:16:18 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>I won't be looking for cicadas even if I *did* own a deep-fryer. But
>the 17-year critters are returning again.
>
>I read this in another blurb from Smithsonian mag:
>
>http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food...0414-Weekender
>
>Tiny URL:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/c45kgtp
>
>"Think of them like “land shellfish.” Like shrimp, lobster and crabs,
>cicadas are anthropods. Gaye L. Williams, an entomologist from the
>Maryland Department of Agriculture told the Baltimore Sun: “They’re in
>the same animal group as shrimp and crabs, and people don’t think twice
>about that.” (If you’re allergic to shellfish, exercise caution when
>experimenting with cicadas)."
>
>Um, if I say "pass the cicadas" what I'll mean is "no thanks, I'll pass!" :)
>
>Jill

I'm not sure if I'd try one. I'd want to take a good look at a cooked
one before taking a bite. If gooey guts, no. If firm like shrimp,
maybe.

[email protected] 15-04-2013 03:24 AM

Deep Fried Cicadas?

wrote:

>I won't be looking for cicadas even if I *did* own a deep-fryer. But
>the 17-year critters are returning again.
>
>I read this in another blurb from Smithsonian mag:
>
>http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food...0414-Weekender
>
>Tiny URL:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/c45kgtp
>
>"Think of them like “land shellfish.” Like shrimp, lobster and crabs,
>cicadas are anthropods. Gaye L. Williams, an entomologist from the
>Maryland Department of Agriculture told the Baltimore Sun: “They’re in
>the same animal group as shrimp and crabs, and people don’t think twice
>about that.” (If you’re allergic to shellfish, exercise caution when
>experimenting with cicadas)."
>
>Um, if I say "pass the cicadas" what I'll mean is "no thanks, I'll pass!" :)
>
>Jill

I wouldn't mind eating them. Deep fried sounds pretty good.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Jim Elbrecht 15-04-2013 12:08 PM

Deep Fried Cicadas?

wrote:

>I won't be looking for cicadas even if I *did* own a deep-fryer. But
>the 17-year critters are returning again.
>
>I read this in another blurb from Smithsonian mag:
>
>http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food...0414-Weekender
>
>Tiny URL:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/c45kgtp

In the spirit of sharing-
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1314334
Not just pizza, tacos & jello-- but peanut butter cups and a Maryland
'cicada boil'. [and links to a cook book]

>"Think of them like “land shellfish.” Like shrimp, lobster and crabs,
>cicadas are anthropods. Gaye L. Williams, an entomologist from the
>Maryland Department of Agriculture told the Baltimore Sun: “They’re in
>the same animal group as shrimp and crabs, and people don’t think twice
>about that.” (If you’re allergic to shellfish, exercise caution when
>experimenting with cicadas)."
>
>Um, if I say "pass the cicadas" what I'll mean is "no thanks, I'll pass!" :)

We get a few every year. If I see a bunch this year I might just
make some of the peanut butter cups.

Jim

Ophelia[_10_] 15-04-2013 12:56 PM

Deep Fried Cicadas?

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:16:18 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>I won't be looking for cicadas even if I *did* own a deep-fryer. But
>>the 17-year critters are returning again.
>>
>>I read this in another blurb from Smithsonian mag:
>>
>>http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food...0414-Weekender
>>
>>Tiny URL:
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/c45kgtp

> In the spirit of sharing-
> http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1314334
> Not just pizza, tacos & jello-- but peanut butter cups and a Maryland
> 'cicada boil'. [and links to a cook book]
>

>>"Think of them like "land shellfish." Like shrimp, lobster and crabs,
>>cicadas are anthropods. Gaye L. Williams, an entomologist from the
>>Maryland Department of Agriculture told the Baltimore Sun: "They're in
>>the same animal group as shrimp and crabs, and people don't think twice
>>about that." (If you're allergic to shellfish, exercise caution when
>>experimenting with cicadas)."
>>
>>Um, if I say "pass the cicadas" what I'll mean is "no thanks, I'll pass!"
>>:)

> We get a few every year. If I see a bunch this year I might just
> make some of the peanut butter cups.

lol JIM!!!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

sf[_9_] 15-04-2013 05:57 PM

Deep Fried Cicadas?

wrote:

> I won't be looking for cicadas even if I *did* own a deep-fryer. But
> the 17-year critters are returning again.
>
> I read this in another blurb from Smithsonian mag:
>
> http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food...0414-Weekender
>
> Tiny URL:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/c45kgtp
>
> "Think of them like “land shellfish.” Like shrimp, lobster and crabs,
> cicadas are anthropods. Gaye L. Williams, an entomologist from the
> Maryland Department of Agriculture told the Baltimore Sun: “They’re in
> the same animal group as shrimp and crabs, and people don’t think twice
> about that.” (If you’re allergic to shellfish, exercise caution when
> experimenting with cicadas)."
>
> Um, if I say "pass the cicadas" what I'll mean is "no thanks, I'll pass!" :)

I tried fried (salted) grasshoppers once. They were kind of a
disappointment. No flavor, crispy and hollow - no yuck factor at all.
Eating shelled & salted pepitas is much more satisfying.