Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ready-to-eat hard cooked eggs OR I never knew abt such things..

A neighbor called - she'd left some perishables on the counter in
haste to leave the house ( blame the kids) and would I go over and
rescue said food. (Another good reason to leave a key with
someone..they weren't coming back for many days or even a week.)
I found a bag of Eggland's ready to eat hardcooked-- - 6 eggs for
heaven knows what price. I never knew such a thing was available.
Between stuff like that, the cooked bacon..........those who can
afford em and/or are lazy hardly need to own an effing stove.

There was a gallon of milk in there too - and I'd just bought a gallon
and I'm out of freezer bottles.
Prob. make custard or clam chowder with this milk bonanza. We've lost
out taste for oyster stew.

What would YOU do with a ton of milk?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> A neighbor called - she'd left some perishables on the counter in
> haste to leave the house ( blame the kids) and would I go over and
> rescue said food. (Another good reason to leave a key with
> someone..they weren't coming back for many days or even a week.)
> I found a bag of Eggland's ready to eat hardcooked-- - 6 eggs for
> heaven knows what price. I never knew such a thing was available.
> Between stuff like that, the cooked bacon..........those who can
> afford em and/or are lazy hardly need to own an effing stove.
>
> There was a gallon of milk in there too - and I'd just bought a gallon
> and I'm out of freezer bottles.
> Prob. make custard or clam chowder with this milk bonanza. We've lost
> out taste for oyster stew.
>
> What would YOU do with a ton of milk?

Centrifuge it to obtain about 1/8 ton of cream, then
make sf's chocolate ice box cake.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2013 12:45 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> A neighbor called - she'd left some perishables on the counter in
> haste to leave the house ( blame the kids) and would I go over and
> rescue said food. (Another good reason to leave a key with
> someone..they weren't coming back for many days or even a week.)
> I found a bag of Eggland's ready to eat hardcooked-- - 6 eggs for
> heaven knows what price. I never knew such a thing was available.
> Between stuff like that, the cooked bacon..........those who can
> afford em and/or are lazy hardly need to own an effing stove.

I saw in the grocery store the other day - a deviled egg kit. It was a
plastic tray filled with halved hard-cooked eggs and pastry bag already
filled and ready to go. I wish I paid enough attention to see how much
it was selling for. It might have been about a dozen eggs.

There might have been something else in there too - maybe some paprika
for sprinkling.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:45:34 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> What would YOU do with a ton of milk?

I'd try making "ricotta" or cottage cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2013 10:45 AM, Kalmia wrote:

> I found a bag of Eggland's ready to eat hardcooked-- - 6 eggs for
> heaven knows what price. I never knew such a thing was available.

Our local Costco has packages of 2 dozen hard-boiled peeled eggs for
less than $4. They are perfectly peeled and wonderful for deviled eggs
for a party in a hurry, egg salad, or for a snack when you want just one.

I've tried to many times to get the perfect hard-boiled eggs for deviled
eggs and ended up with pock-marked messes when I tried to peel them.
These are perfect for the purpose.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Thats funny-I was going to make deviled eggs Easter weekend and forgot I
ran out of Miracle Whip. I ended up using Thousand Island dressing. They
were not very good. I remember thinking I wish I could buy a jar of
ready-made deviled egg mixture to mix the yolks into.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> There was a gallon of milk in there too - and I'd just bought a gallon
> and I'm out of freezer bottles.
> Prob. make custard or clam chowder with this milk bonanza. We've lost
> out taste for oyster stew.
>
> What would YOU do with a ton of milk?

A ton of pork roast
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2013 12:45 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> A neighbor called - she'd left some perishables on the counter in
> haste to leave the house ( blame the kids) and would I go over and
> rescue said food. (Another good reason to leave a key with
> someone..they weren't coming back for many days or even a week.)
> I found a bag of Eggland's ready to eat hardcooked-- - 6 eggs for
> heaven knows what price. I never knew such a thing was available.
> Between stuff like that, the cooked bacon..........those who can
> afford em and/or are lazy hardly need to own an effing stove.

I've seen those hard-cooked pre-peeled eggs. I don't know what the
brand was but I, too, looked at them and wondered "Who would buy these?"
They were in the deli-section of Publix near the 'better' cheeses and
the bakery. I shrugged and walked on by. I've got absolutely no use
for half a dozen hard boiled eggs.

> There was a gallon of milk in there too - and I'd just bought a gallon
> and I'm out of freezer bottles.

I drink milk

> Prob. make custard or clam chowder with this milk bonanza. We've lost
> out taste for oyster stew.
>
> What would YOU do with a ton of milk?

Clam chowder sounds good!

Jill

--
Have a good day unless you have other plans
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/04/2013 12:01 AM, z z wrote:
> Thats funny-I was going to make deviled eggs Easter weekend and forgot I
> ran out of Miracle Whip. I ended up using Thousand Island dressing. They
> were not very good. I remember thinking I wish I could buy a jar of
> ready-made deviled egg mixture to mix the yolks into.

If you were making devilled eggs you would obviously had lots of eggs on
hand. Why not make yo9ur own mayo? One night many years ago my wife
was at some school function and I had to make supper for my son. We had
lots of leftover chicken and he wanted chicken salad sandwiches on the
nice fresh baguette I had picked up. I had everything chopped up and
ready to go and realized we had no mayo in the house. I did have eggs.
I figured it was a good time to try making mayo. It was easy and it was
delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 09/04/2013 12:01 AM, z z wrote:
>> Thats funny-I was going to make deviled eggs Easter weekend and forgot I
>> ran out of Miracle Whip. I ended up using Thousand Island dressing. They
>> were not very good. I remember thinking I wish I could buy a jar of
>> ready-made deviled egg mixture to mix the yolks into.
>>

> If you were making devilled eggs you would obviously had lots of eggs on
> hand. Why not make yo9ur own mayo? One night many years ago my wife was
> at some school function and I had to make supper for my son. We had lots
> of leftover chicken and he wanted chicken salad sandwiches on the nice
> fresh baguette I had picked up. I had everything chopped up and ready to
> go and realized we had no mayo in the house. I did have eggs. I figured
> it was a good time to try making mayo. It was easy and it was delicious.

Winco sells a huge bag for cheap. We're talking restaurant supply type
cheap. Cheaper than if you were to buy raw eggs by the dozen. Granted if
you were to buy eggs by the rack (and they do sell them that way) they might
be cheaper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 09/04/2013 12:01 AM, z z wrote:
>>> Thats funny-I was going to make deviled eggs Easter weekend and forgot I
>>> ran out of Miracle Whip. I ended up using Thousand Island dressing. They
>>> were not very good. I remember thinking I wish I could buy a jar of
>>> ready-made deviled egg mixture to mix the yolks into.
>>>

>> If you were making devilled eggs you would obviously had lots of eggs on
>> hand. Why not make yo9ur own mayo? One night many years ago my wife was
>> at some school function and I had to make supper for my son. We had lots
>> of leftover chicken and he wanted chicken salad sandwiches on the nice
>> fresh baguette I had picked up. I had everything chopped up and ready to
>> go and realized we had no mayo in the house. I did have eggs. I figured
>> it was a good time to try making mayo. It was easy and it was delicious.

> Winco sells a huge bag for cheap. We're talking restaurant supply type
> cheap. Cheaper than if you were to buy raw eggs by the dozen. Granted if
> you were to buy eggs by the rack (and they do sell them that way) they
> might be cheaper.

Most of the pre-shelled eggs I've come across are USDA Medium, which
might account for the price differentials.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 07:17:20 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/8/2013 12:45 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>> A neighbor called - she'd left some perishables on the counter in
>> haste to leave the house ( blame the kids) and would I go over and
>> rescue said food. (Another good reason to leave a key with
>> someone..they weren't coming back for many days or even a week.)
>> I found a bag of Eggland's ready to eat hardcooked-- - 6 eggs for
>> heaven knows what price. I never knew such a thing was available.
>> Between stuff like that, the cooked bacon..........those who can
>> afford em and/or are lazy hardly need to own an effing stove.
>>

>I've seen those hard-cooked pre-peeled eggs. I don't know what the
>brand was but I, too, looked at them and wondered "Who would buy these?"
> They were in the deli-section of Publix near the 'better' cheeses and
>the bakery. I shrugged and walked on by. I've got absolutely no use
>for half a dozen hard boiled eggs.

Many people don't know how to cook eggs so they are easy to peel.

I often hard cook a couple three dozen eggs at once, I love pickled
eggs, and they can keep at room temperature for months. But I would
never buy those pre-cooked peeled eggs... how difficult is it to boil
eggs, and I have no problem peeling eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 10:40:53 -0400, "pavane" > wrote:

> Most of the pre-shelled eggs I've come across are USDA Medium, which
> might account for the price differentials.

I've only seen them once (obviously it's not an item that's high on my
list of what to buy at the grocery store) and I think they were in an
odd place, like the meat department. I think that was the one and
only time I've actually noticed the precooked bacon too. Either that
or easy to make foods like those don't sell well here and aren't there
to be seen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>> Many people don't know how to cook eggs so they are easy to peel.
>>
>> I often hard cook a couple three dozen eggs at once, I love pickled
>> eggs, and they can keep at room temperature for months. But I would
>> never buy those pre-cooked peeled eggs... how difficult is it to boil
>> eggs, and I have no problem peeling eggs.

> I have tried numerous techniques that have been suggested to make boiled
> eggs easier to peel with results that varied so much, I still don't know
> what works if anything for sure. I wouldn't want pre-cooked peeled eggs
> either... seems as ridiculous as those trays of cut up vegetables and
> the mystery dipping sauce .. and anyone who shows up at a party with
> that crap should be sent packing. I'd prefer they came with nothing.

Very fresh eggs are difficult to peel.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> If you were making devilled eggs you would obviously had lots of eggs on
>>> hand. Why not make yo9ur own mayo? One night many years ago my wife
>>> was at some school function and I had to make supper for my son. We had
>>> lots of leftover chicken and he wanted chicken salad sandwiches on the
>>> nice fresh baguette I had picked up. I had everything chopped up and
>>> ready to go and realized we had no mayo in the house. I did have eggs.
>>> I figured it was a good time to try making mayo. It was easy and it was
>>> delicious.

>> Winco sells a huge bag for cheap. We're talking restaurant supply type
>> cheap. Cheaper than if you were to buy raw eggs by the dozen. Granted
>> if you were to buy eggs by the rack (and they do sell them that way) they
>> might be cheaper.

> Most of the pre-shelled eggs I've come across are USDA Medium, which
> might account for the price differentials.
>
> pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 2:17:56 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "pavane" > wrote in message

> >> Winco sells a huge bag for cheap. We're talking restaurant supply type

> >> cheap. Cheaper than if you were to buy raw eggs by the dozen. Granted

> >> if you were to buy eggs by the rack (and they do sell them that way) they

> >> might be cheaper.

> > Most of the pre-shelled eggs I've come across are USDA Medium, which

> > might account for the price differentials.

> > pavane

Learn to post you stupid ****. Every day, you post at least 2 blank replies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oracular Shelley runs aground again.

> I would never buy those pre-cooked peeled eggs... how difficult is it to boil eggs,

Are you really this dumb? Thery're a convenience product for busy parents.
Same category as pre-washed and pre-torn lettuce, frozen TV dinners, and all
the other stuff that Gary can't live without.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/04/2013 3:59 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
> Oracular Shelley runs aground again.
>
>> I would never buy those pre-cooked peeled eggs... how difficult is
>> it to boil eggs,

> Are you really this dumb?

Nothing dumb about pointing out the simplicity of boilng eggs.

>Thery're a convenience product for busy parents.

WTF?? Busy parents don't make devilled eggs. Busy parents who find
themselves in need of making devilled eggs can put their kids to work
peeling the eggs.

> Same category as pre-washed and pre-torn lettuce, frozen TV
> dinners, and all the other stuff that Gary can't live without.

I have to say that when I first read about the devilled egg kits my
first thought was that it sounded like a great way to market old eggs.
When they get too old to sell as fresh eggs you can boil them up and
extend their shelf life a bit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/04/2013 2:22 PM, Susan wrote:

> Yeah, I thought it was a joke when I saw peeled, boiled eggs on the
> shelf, but it's a great way for producers to use up eggs they might
> otherwise have to throw away.

That was my first thought to. It is like the guacamole I see for sale in
the grocery store. Great way to sell over ripe avocados.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 16:34:59 -0500, jay > wrote:
snip

>OK.. my eggs have been too fresh. Never have any left by sell by date.
>I'm gonna test it and buy a dozen for boiling and age 'em. Sometimes
>some of them peel ok.. guess those are old one mixed in with the newer
>ones maybe? Some of them nearly always take a lot of egg white off with
>the shell making for some really ugly deviled eggs. Thanks!
>
>jay

I have a rotation. In one particular part of the fridge I have the
fresh eggs that are used for breakfast. the next time I go shopping,
those eggs get moved and each egg is labeled with a pencil date. The
new eggs go in the breakfast spot, the older eggs go elsewhere and
are used for baking, cooking and finally hard boil. The pencil date
makes sure that none get overlooked.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 17:53:11 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 09/04/2013 3:59 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
>> Oracular Shelley runs aground again.
>>
>>> I would never buy those pre-cooked peeled eggs... how difficult is
>>> it to boil eggs,

>> Are you really this dumb?

>Nothing dumb about pointing out the simplicity of boilng eggs.
>

>>Thery're a convenience product for busy parents.

>WTF?? Busy parents don't make devilled eggs. Busy parents who find
>themselves in need of making devilled eggs can put their kids to work
>peeling the eggs.
>

>> Same category as pre-washed and pre-torn lettuce, frozen TV
>> dinners, and all the other stuff that Gary can't live without.

> I have to say that when I first read about the devilled egg kits my
>first thought was that it sounded like a great way to market old eggs.
>When they get too old to sell as fresh eggs you can boil them up and
>extend their shelf life a bit.

the grocery store doesn't have facilities to cook up and package eggs.
A big chicken ranch isn't set up for that either. These packages of
pre-cooked foods are put out by big outfits that specialize in
deli-type foods.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 16:34:59 -0500, jay > wrote:
> snip
>>
>>OK.. my eggs have been too fresh. Never have any left by sell by date.
>>I'm gonna test it and buy a dozen for boiling and age 'em. Sometimes
>>some of them peel ok.. guess those are old one mixed in with the newer
>>ones maybe? Some of them nearly always take a lot of egg white off with
>>the shell making for some really ugly deviled eggs. Thanks!
>>
>>jay

> I have a rotation. In one particular part of the fridge I have the
> fresh eggs that are used for breakfast. the next time I go shopping,
> those eggs get moved and each egg is labeled with a pencil date. The
> new eggs go in the breakfast spot, the older eggs go elsewhere and
> are used for baking, cooking and finally hard boil. The pencil date
> makes sure that none get overlooked.

That is what I do, except for pencilling in the date. That is a good idea

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 09:43:30 +0100, "Ophelia" ku>
wrote:

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> >
> > I have a rotation. In one particular part of the fridge I have the
> > fresh eggs that are used for breakfast. the next time I go shopping,
> > those eggs get moved and each egg is labeled with a pencil date. The
> > new eggs go in the breakfast spot, the older eggs go elsewhere and
> > are used for baking, cooking and finally hard boil. The pencil date
> > makes sure that none get overlooked.

> That is what I do, except for pencilling in the date. That is a good idea

How many do you buy at one time? I can buy 2 dozen and they're gone
in less than a week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 00:25:04 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 16:54:25 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> the grocery store doesn't have facilities to cook up and package eggs.
>> A big chicken ranch isn't set up for that either. These packages of
>> pre-cooked foods are put out by big outfits that specialize in
>> deli-type foods.

>The ones sold by Coctco are from Alamark.
>
>http://almarkeggs.com/company.html
>
>Who appear to be a big egg processor mostly for foodservice
>operations. A quick search of the USDA-inspected egg factories
>indicates that they do not lay their own eggs, but rather buy mostly
>USDA Medium Grade B eggs from elsewhere and process them into other
>forms such as hard boiled and liquid eggs.
>
>-sw

thanks for the info. I've never looked at (or actually seen) any
pre-cooked eggs anywhere so I wouldn't have known how to find the
producer. I have seen various cooked potatoes for sale. I've seen
baked potatoes and can't imagine what they are like because they can
become so nasty.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 09:43:30 +0100, "Ophelia" ku>
> wrote:
>

>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > I have a rotation. In one particular part of the fridge I have the
>> > fresh eggs that are used for breakfast. the next time I go shopping,
>> > those eggs get moved and each egg is labeled with a pencil date. The
>> > new eggs go in the breakfast spot, the older eggs go elsewhere and
>> > are used for baking, cooking and finally hard boil. The pencil date
>> > makes sure that none get overlooked.

>> That is what I do, except for pencilling in the date. That is a good
>> idea

> How many do you buy at one time? I can buy 2 dozen and they're gone
> in less than a week.

I buy 2x 15 at a time. Sometimes I will use them quite quickly - other
times not. When I start the last pack I buy more

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 2:06:27 PM UTC-4, jay wrote:

> ... seems as ridiculous as those trays of cut up vegetables and
>
> the mystery dipping sauce .. and anyone who shows up at a party with
>
> that crap should be sent packing. I'd prefer they came with nothing

Betcha love those who show up with a bucket of KFC. : ))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 6:50:45 PM UTC-4, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I have a rotation. In one particular part of the fridge I have the
>
> fresh eggs that are used for breakfast. the next time I go shopping,
>
> those eggs get moved and each egg is labeled with a pencil date.

Wow - and I thought *I* was anal. Pencil date on each egg? That's a new one on me. I just put the oldies on top of the open carton of newies in the egg bin and go from there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 06:55:57 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 09:43:30 +0100, "Ophelia" ku>
>wrote:
>

>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > I have a rotation. In one particular part of the fridge I have the
>> > fresh eggs that are used for breakfast. the next time I go shopping,
>> > those eggs get moved and each egg is labeled with a pencil date. The
>> > new eggs go in the breakfast spot, the older eggs go elsewhere and
>> > are used for baking, cooking and finally hard boil. The pencil date
>> > makes sure that none get overlooked.

>> That is what I do, except for pencilling in the date. That is a good idea

>How many do you buy at one time? I can buy 2 dozen and they're gone
>in less than a week.

I do get two dozen, but we don't eat them as fast as you do.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 09:26:45 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 6:50:45 PM UTC-4, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>

>> I have a rotation. In one particular part of the fridge I have the
>>
>> fresh eggs that are used for breakfast. the next time I go shopping,
>>
>> those eggs get moved and each egg is labeled with a pencil date.

>Wow - and I thought *I* was anal. Pencil date on each egg? That's a new one on me. I just put the oldies on top of the open carton of newies in the egg bin and go from there.

Not anal. I just want the newest eggs for fresh eating. I may have
only a couple eggs to move on into the "oldie" carton. I simply
pencil them so that I know which ones are the oldest. If I just
wanted to eat my way through the eggs that I had, your way would
certainly work.
Janet US

Hard cooked eggs MOMPEAGRAM[_2_] General Cooking 41 13-06-2007 07:39 AM
Hard Cooked Eggs Stuffed with Tapenade Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-07-2005 05:09 PM
Hard Cooked Eggs Recipes (moderated) 0 14-04-2005 03:49 AM
Recipe: For those leftover hard-cooked Easter Eggs Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 4 26-03-2005 05:27 PM
Hard Cooked Eggs Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 14-03-2004 11:26 PM