Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Farmers market season opener yesterday, Sat 4/6

A bit grey and overcast with a few sun peeks but all in all a great
day at the Market.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013...#wgt=rcntmulti
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joy Joy is offline

I boycott them because both the Fairhaven and downtown markets are price
controlled. I'd rather go to the farm and give them the money instead
of Sustainable Connections.

On 4/7/2013 12:50 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> A bit grey and overcast with a few sun peeks but all in all a great
> day at the Market.
>
> http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013...#wgt=rcntmulti

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> A bit grey and overcast with a few sun peeks but all in all a great
> day at the Market.
>
> http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013...#wgt=rcntmulti

Isn't it early in the season for a farmer's market? And you're rather
far North, too. Ours won't be open for, well, close to 3 months,
usually the first weekend in July, sometimes the last weekend in June.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-04-08, John J > wrote:

> wrote:
>
>>A bit grey and overcast with a few sun peeks but all in all a great
>>day at the Market.
>>
>>http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013...ening-day.html

> I get "Server not found".

Try again. Works for me.

Also, try these cleaned up URLs:

<http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/04/06/2954993/farmers-market-opening-day.html>
http://tinyurl.com/cj25jwu

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 07:40:20 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

>ImStillMags wrote:
>> A bit grey and overcast with a few sun peeks but all in all a great
>> day at the Market.
>>
>> http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013...#wgt=rcntmulti

>Isn't it early in the season for a farmer's market? And you're rather
>far North, too. Ours won't be open for, well, close to 3 months,
>usually the first weekend in July, sometimes the last weekend in June.

Our local 'greenmarket' goes all winter. [upstate NY]
http://www.schenectadygreenmarket.org/

Greenhouses, hydroponics. mushroom farms, meats, eggs, baked goods,
cheeses. . .

I confess I don't go much until the corn comes in-- but there is
plenty to buy in the 'off' season.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 Apr 2013 12:56:15 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2013-04-08, John J > wrote:
>
> wrote:
>>
>>>A bit grey and overcast with a few sun peeks but all in all a great
>>>day at the Market.
>>>
>>>http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013...ening-day.html

>> I get "Server not found".

>Try again. Works for me.
>
>Also, try these cleaned up URLs:
>
><http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/04/06/2954993/farmers-market-opening-day.html>
>http://tinyurl.com/cj25jwu

I rarely shop at farmer's markets, most of their fresh produce is no
different from what one can buy at a supermarket only typically at
higher prices.... those sellers are rarely farmers, they are renting a
space and selling produce they buy directly from a produce wholesale
market, every big city has at least one. If one lives in an urban
area about all that's available nearby are farmer's markets. But in
rural areas (and even many surburban areas) there are farm stands, a
small stand by the side of the road directly in front of the farm that
grew what is being sold. There's a huge difference between farmer's
markets and farm stands. Farm stand produce is fresher and costs
less. Many of the commercial farms where I live maintain a farm
stand, but even better are the small stands set up in front of peoples
homes that are selling produce from their home gardens... many sell by
the honor system, produce is priced and there's a large cash jar on
the table. One of my neighbors who operates an animal rescue farm has
a small shed set by the side of the road, they sell eggs and honey by
the honor system, they say they've never been ripped off, in fact some
people leave an IOU because they didn't have cash when they came by.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 7, 12:54*pm, Joy > wrote:
> I boycott them because both the Fairhaven and downtown markets are price
> controlled. *I'd rather go to the farm and give them the money instead
> of Sustainable Connections.
>
> On 4/7/2013 12:50 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>
> > A bit grey and overcast with a few sun peeks but all in all a great
> > day at the Market.

> >http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013...ers-market-ope...

Well, that's your perogative, of course, but Sustainable Connections
doesn't run the market.
Sustainable Connections is a non profit that promotes organics and
green standards and brings the community together. That
organization is nationally recognized for the work it does but the
Farmer's Market in Bellingham is not run by them, it is run by the
members and the by laws are made by them.

BY-LAWS OF THE
BELLINGHAM FARMERS MARKET ASSOCIATION
Revised April 2009
ARTICLE I. Purpose and Powers
Section 1.1: Name
The name of the corporation shall be Bellingham Farmers Market
Association, a non-profit Corporation organized by the citizens of
Whatcom County and Skagit County.
Section 1.2: Object
The object of this corporation shall be for the mutual benefit of the
members of the corporation to provide for management and promotion of
the Bellingham Farmers Market; to provide a forum from which local
growers, food processors, and crafters can offer their products to the
public; to educate the public about agricultural products and
concerns; to study the needs of the members and promote the general
welfare of the corporation, and to do all things legally necessary and
proper to the conduct and furtherance of the business of the
Bellingham Farmers Market. The Bellingham Farmers Market is committed
to an agriculturally based market an, as such, reserves 50% of all
stalls for farmers.

Section 1.3 Mission Statement
"The Bellingham Farmers Market supports local sustainable agriculture
by connecting the public with
local farmers, artisans, and other producers in an economically viable
marketplace."

Section 1.4: Government
The government and the management of the funds, properties and affairs
of the corporation shall be vested in the Market, comprised of paid
and honorary members of the corporation.

As for 'price controlled', I don't know where you get that. The
people who have spaces in the markets are the same people who are the
growers. So if you want to drive all over the county to find all the
different kinds of produce you can find in one place at The
Market....have at it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 8, 6:31*am, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On 8 Apr 2013 12:56:15 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> >> I get "Server not found".

> >Try again. *Works for me.

> >Also, try these cleaned up URLs:

> ><http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/04/06/2954993/farmers-market-ope....>
> >http://tinyurl.com/cj25jwu

> I rarely shop at farmer's markets, most of their fresh produce is no
> different from what one can buy at a supermarket only typically at
> higher prices.... those sellers are rarely farmers, they are renting a
> space and selling produce they buy directly from a produce wholesale
> market, every big city has at least one. *If one lives in an urban
> area about all that's available nearby are farmer's markets. *But in
> rural areas (and even many surburban areas) there are farm stands, a
> small stand by the side of the road directly in front of the farm that
> grew what is being sold. *There's a huge difference between farmer's
> markets and farm stands. *Farm stand produce is fresher and costs
> less. *Many of the commercial farms where I live maintain a farm
> stand, but even better are the small stands set up in front of peoples
> homes that are selling produce from their home gardens... many sell by
> the honor system, produce is priced and there's a large cash jar on
> the table. *One of my neighbors who operates an animal rescue farm has
> a small shed set by the side of the road, they sell eggs and honey by
> the honor system, they say they've never been ripped off, in fact some
> people leave an IOU because they didn't have cash when they came by.

Well, it' different in different areas, Sheldon. Here the people at
the Market are the growers and producers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 07:11:01 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Apr 8, 6:31*am, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>> On 8 Apr 2013 12:56:15 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>> >Try again. *Works for me.

>> >Also, try these cleaned up URLs:

>> ><http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/04/06/2954993/farmers-market-ope...>
>> >http://tinyurl.com/cj25jwu

>> I rarely shop at farmer's markets, most of their fresh produce is no
>> different from what one can buy at a supermarket only typically at
>> higher prices.... those sellers are rarely farmers, they are renting a
>> space and selling produce they buy directly from a produce wholesale
>> market, every big city has at least one. *If one lives in an urban
>> area about all that's available nearby are farmer's markets. *But in
>> rural areas (and even many surburban areas) there are farm stands, a
>> small stand by the side of the road directly in front of the farm that
>> grew what is being sold. *There's a huge difference between farmer's
>> markets and farm stands. *Farm stand produce is fresher and costs
>> less. *Many of the commercial farms where I live maintain a farm
>> stand, but even better are the small stands set up in front of peoples
>> homes that are selling produce from their home gardens... many sell by
>> the honor system, produce is priced and there's a large cash jar on
>> the table. *One of my neighbors who operates an animal rescue farm has
>> a small shed set by the side of the road, they sell eggs and honey by
>> the honor system, they say they've never been ripped off, in fact some
>> people leave an IOU because they didn't have cash when they came by.

>Well, it' different in different areas, Sheldon. Here the people at
>the Market are the growers and producers.

Here too. You can drive by their place and see what they grow. Around
here, what Sheldon is talking about is called a produce stand. They
set up in empty lots and are there all but maybe December and January.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 08:16:17 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 07:11:01 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>>> I rarely shop at farmer's markets, most of their fresh produce is no
>>> different from what one can buy at a supermarket only typically at
>>> higher prices.... those sellers are rarely farmers, they are renting a
>>> space and selling produce they buy directly from a produce wholesale
>>> market, every big city has at least one. *If one lives in an urban
>>> area about all that's available nearby are farmer's markets. *But in
>>> rural areas (and even many surburban areas) there are farm stands, a
>>> small stand by the side of the road directly in front of the farm that
>>> grew what is being sold. *There's a huge difference between farmer's
>>> markets and farm stands. *Farm stand produce is fresher and costs
>>> less. *Many of the commercial farms where I live maintain a farm
>>> stand, but even better are the small stands set up in front of peoples
>>> homes that are selling produce from their home gardens... many sell by
>>> the honor system, produce is priced and there's a large cash jar on
>>> the table. *One of my neighbors who operates an animal rescue farm has
>>> a small shed set by the side of the road, they sell eggs and honey by
>>> the honor system, they say they've never been ripped off, in fact some
>>> people leave an IOU because they didn't have cash when they came by.

>>Well, it' different in different areas, Sheldon. Here the people at
>>the Market are the growers and producers.

>Here too. You can drive by their place and see what they grow. Around
>here, what Sheldon is talking about is called a produce stand. They
>set up in empty lots and are there all but maybe December and January.
>Janet US

Here they are called Farm Stands, probably because most don't sell
just produce, along with produce they sell honey, maple syrup, apple
cider, jams, baked goods, various eggs (chicken, duck, goose, and
other domestic birds), and some sell spun yarn from their own animals,
and various crafts too, some sell hanging baskets, and cut flowers
too. The people are selling their own products on their own property,
no community lots. Oh, and many sell meat to order when they
slaughter their livestock, need to order in advance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 8, 12:08*pm, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 08:16:17 -0600, Janet Bostwick
>

> > wrote:
> >On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 07:11:01 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:

> >>Well, it' different in different areas, Sheldon. * Here the people at
> >>the Market are the growers and producers.

> >Here too. *You can drive by their place and see what they grow. Around
> >here, what Sheldon is talking about is called a produce stand. They
> >set up in empty lots and are there all but maybe December and January.
> >Janet US

> Here they are called Farm Stands, probably because most don't sell
> just produce, along with produce they sell honey, maple syrup, apple
> cider, jams, baked goods, various eggs (chicken, duck, goose, and
> other domestic birds), and some sell spun yarn from their own animals,
> and various crafts too, some sell hanging baskets, and cut flowers
> too. *The people are selling their own products on their own property,
> no community lots. *Oh, and many sell meat to order when they
> slaughter their livestock, need to order in advance.

Well, we have the same thing here, except everyone gathers in one
place to sell their stuff.....It's called the Farmer's
Market......cause it's full of, you know, farmers !!! :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 12:50*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> A bit grey and overcast with a few sun peeks but all in all a great
> day at the Market.
>
> http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013...ers-market-ope...

Any good stuff yet? Ours here in GH is pretty small & limited...If you
ever get a chance, the Puyallup one during July-August is awesome!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 8, 1:08*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 15:08:18 -0400, Brooklyn1
>

> > wrote:
> >On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 08:16:17 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:

> >>Here too. *You can drive by their place and see what they grow. Around
> >>here, what Sheldon is talking about is called a produce stand. They
> >>set up in empty lots and are there all but maybe December and January.
> >>Janet US

> >Here they are called Farm Stands, probably because most don't sell
> >just produce, along with produce they sell honey, maple syrup, apple
> >cider, jams, baked goods, various eggs (chicken, duck, goose, and
> >other domestic birds), and some sell spun yarn from their own animals,
> >and various crafts too, some sell hanging baskets, and cut flowers
> >too. *The people are selling their own products on their own property,
> >no community lots. *Oh, and many sell meat to order when they
> >slaughter their livestock, need to order in advance.

> I was referring to the part where you said they sold the same stuff
> the stores do, often at a higher price. *Those are produce stands
> here.
> *On Saturdays we have the Farmer's Market that sells the things
> described in the above paragraph of yours. *Actually, as of this year,
> in my city, there has been a division (and probably a scuffle and hurt
> feelings) and the local grown produce people have separated themselves
> from the yarn, peanuts and jugglers folks. (slight exaggeration)
> Janet US

Aw, that's too bad. Everyone is interspersed here and it makes for a
very diverse and happy experience.
Probably why it was named the Number 1 farmers market by Sunset
Magazine !!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 16:39:40 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

snip

>Aw, that's too bad. Everyone is interspersed here and it makes for a
>very diverse and happy experience.
>Probably why it was named the Number 1 farmers market by Sunset
>Magazine !!

lucky you!
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2013 9:31 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> One of my neighbors who operates an animal rescue farm has
> a small shed set by the side of the road, they sell eggs and honey by
> the honor system, they say they've never been ripped off, in fact some
> people leave an IOU because they didn't have cash when they came by.

A neighbor down the street from me must sell by the honor system, too,
as I see a stand and produce there during the summer months, but never a
person. I've never stopped because they usually sell tomatoes or zukes
and I don't really like either. They sell bunnies, too, but not at their
stand. They can keep the bunnies. I get too many in my yard as it
is. I know, I'm sure the bunnies they sell aren't the wild ones.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mags, I was at the Bellingham farmers market opening, also. Have you
noticed the cabbage on top of the bulding? It was made by a friend of
mine! Momma Raider in Bellingham....

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 8, 5:47*pm, (Momma Raider) wrote:
> Mags, *I was at the Bellingham farmers market opening, also. *Have you
> noticed the cabbage on top of the bulding? *It was made by a friend of
> mine! *Momma Raider in Bellingham....

No, I've never seen it. Where is it on the building?

http://bbjtoday.com/wp-content/woo_c...Market_web.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2013 9:31 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> I rarely shop at farmer's markets, most of their fresh produce is no
> different from what one can buy at a supermarket only typically at
> higher prices.... those sellers are rarely farmers, they are renting a
> space and selling produce they buy directly from a produce wholesale
> market, every big city has at least one. If one lives in an urban
> area about all that's available nearby are farmer's markets. But in
> rural areas (and even many surburban areas) there are farm stands, a
> small stand by the side of the road

(snippage)

The farmer's market in Germantown, TN was more of a crafts fair than a
farmer's market. And yes, you're right, they jacked the prices because
they were paying for booth space at the Agricenter. I went twice,
because I try not to judge on first impressions. Second impression,
still not impressed. I don't want to buy a purse or flowers or local
artwork when I'm shopping for vegetables.

The farmer's market in the Beaufort area moves around... if you're not
there on Saturday in Port Royal between 8AM and 10PM, then you have to
drive to Bluffton between 12PM and 2PM and then it moves somewhere else
from 4PM to 6PM. I'm not driving all over the county to chase this
"market" to figure out what it's about.

The farm stands in my area of SC aren't necessarily in front of the
actual farm, but they do have stationary stands. They offer the
freshest vegetables and yes, it is what they've grown themselves. The
one I really like is only open Friday and Saturday. The rest of the
week they are actually tending the farm and picking the vegetables.
There are a *lot* of fresh tomato, squash & broccoli fields around here.
And a processing plant down the road for tomatoes, too.

But you won't find these farm stand folks selling artisan breads. It's
not what they do.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2013 3:08 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 08:16:17 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 07:11:01 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>> > wrote:

>>> Well, it' different in different areas, Sheldon. Here the people at
>>> the Market are the growers and producers.

>> Here too. You can drive by their place and see what they grow. Around
>> here, what Sheldon is talking about is called a produce stand. They
>> set up in empty lots and are there all but maybe December and January.
>> Janet US

> Here they are called Farm Stands, probably because most don't sell
> just produce, along with produce they sell honey, maple syrup, apple
> cider, jams, baked goods, various eggs (chicken, duck, goose, and
> other domestic birds), and some sell spun yarn from their own animals,
> and various crafts too, some sell hanging baskets, and cut flowers
> too. The people are selling their own products on their own property,
> no community lots. Oh, and many sell meat to order when they
> slaughter their livestock, need to order in advance.

I've sure never seen one of those. I call them "farm stands" because
they are vegetable farmers. Might also call it a "vegetable stand",
yes. A place that sells meat, eggs, jams, baked goods... nope, I've
never seen one. Then again, I don't live near Amish country I'm not
saying they don't exist, just saying selling such things is not common
where I've lived. Just vegetables.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mags, If you look closely you can just see it on top of the tallest
roof. It looks like a wind vane. Check it out the next time you
go.....MR