Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mad Men coming soon!

What are you serving for the premier of Mad Men 2013?

I have two cocktails that I want to make, but have nothing to eat in
mind yet. I should consider crepes or a souffle because they were
"guest" food back then. I would make linguini with clams because it
was popular in the late '60s, but hubby can't eat shellfish anymore.
Of course, a big beef steak and baked potatoes is very '60s as well.
Decisions, decisions!

Here are the drinks I have in mind

Sidecar Cocktail
Serves 1

3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
3/4 ounce Cointreau
1 1/2 ounce Cognac
Lemon wedge and sugar, for rim, optional
Garnish could also be lemon twist

If you prefer the traditional sugar-rimmed glass, run the wedge of
lemon around the edge of a martini glass to moisten. Dip the rim into
sugar.

In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the freshly squeezed lemon
juice, the Cointreau and the Cognac. Shake until well chilled. Strain
into the martini glass and enjoy.

Ophelia (tested and approved)
2 cocktails

Ingredients

For the Rosemary Simple Syrup (make ahead):

1/4 cup ground rosemary (use an herb grinder, a coffee grinder or a
small food processor)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup of sugar

Preparation:

Bring the water to a boil, add the sugar and rosemary and stir until
the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and steep the mixture off
heat for 45 minutes.

Strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer into a container. (The
accompanying video has a visual reference for the depth of color that
should be achieved; a light golden syrup).

To Make the Cocktail:

1 and 1/2 oz of good Gin
3/4 oz rosemary syrup
3/4 oz fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 of a lemon, squeezed)
Club Soda
Sprig of rosemary for garnish

Fill glass with ice.
Add gin, lemon and rosemary simple syrup and stir.
Top with club soda, stir briefly and garnish with a rosemary sprig.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 17:54:09 -0700, sf > wrote:

>What are you serving for the premier of Mad Men 2013?
>
>I have two cocktails that I want to make, but have nothing to eat in
>mind yet. I should consider crepes or a souffle because they were
>"guest" food back then. I would make linguini with clams because it
>was popular in the late '60s, but hubby can't eat shellfish anymore.
>Of course, a big beef steak and baked potatoes is very '60s as well.
>Decisions, decisions!
>
>Here are the drinks I have in mind
>
>Sidecar Cocktail
>Serves 1
>
>3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
>3/4 ounce Cointreau
>1 1/2 ounce Cognac
>Lemon wedge and sugar, for rim, optional
>Garnish could also be lemon twist
>
>If you prefer the traditional sugar-rimmed glass, run the wedge of
>lemon around the edge of a martini glass to moisten. Dip the rim into
>sugar.
>
>In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the freshly squeezed lemon
>juice, the Cointreau and the Cognac. Shake until well chilled. Strain
>into the martini glass and enjoy.
>

>Ophelia (tested and approved)
>2 cocktails
>
>Ingredients
>
>For the Rosemary Simple Syrup (make ahead):
>
>1/4 cup ground rosemary (use an herb grinder, a coffee grinder or a
>small food processor)
>1/2 cup water
>1/2 cup of sugar
>

>Preparation:
>
>Bring the water to a boil, add the sugar and rosemary and stir until
>the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and steep the mixture off
>heat for 45 minutes.
>
>Strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer into a container. (The
>accompanying video has a visual reference for the depth of color that
>should be achieved; a light golden syrup).
>
>To Make the Cocktail:
>
>1 and 1/2 oz of good Gin
>3/4 oz rosemary syrup
>3/4 oz fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 of a lemon, squeezed)
>Club Soda
>Sprig of rosemary for garnish
>
>Fill glass with ice.
>Add gin, lemon and rosemary simple syrup and stir.
>Top with club soda, stir briefly and garnish with a rosemary sprig.

What is Mad Men?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 17:54:09 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

>>What are you serving for the premier of Mad Men 2013?
>>
>>I have two cocktails that I want to make, but have nothing to eat in
>>mind yet. I should consider crepes or a souffle because they were
>>"guest" food back then. I would make linguini with clams because it
>>was popular in the late '60s, but hubby can't eat shellfish anymore.
>>Of course, a big beef steak and baked potatoes is very '60s as well.
>>Decisions, decisions!
>>
>>Here are the drinks I have in mind
>>
>>Sidecar Cocktail
>>Serves 1
>>
>>3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
>>3/4 ounce Cointreau
>>1 1/2 ounce Cognac
>>Lemon wedge and sugar, for rim, optional
>>Garnish could also be lemon twist
>>
>>If you prefer the traditional sugar-rimmed glass, run the wedge of
>>lemon around the edge of a martini glass to moisten. Dip the rim into
>>sugar.
>>
>>In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the freshly squeezed lemon
>>juice, the Cointreau and the Cognac. Shake until well chilled. Strain
>>into the martini glass and enjoy.
>>

>>Ophelia (tested and approved)
>>2 cocktails
>>
>>Ingredients
>>
>>For the Rosemary Simple Syrup (make ahead):
>>
>>1/4 cup ground rosemary (use an herb grinder, a coffee grinder or a
>>small food processor)
>>1/2 cup water
>>1/2 cup of sugar
>>

>>Preparation:
>>
>>Bring the water to a boil, add the sugar and rosemary and stir until
>>the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and steep the mixture off
>>heat for 45 minutes.
>>
>>Strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer into a container. (The
>>accompanying video has a visual reference for the depth of color that
>>should be achieved; a light golden syrup).
>>
>>To Make the Cocktail:
>>
>>1 and 1/2 oz of good Gin
>>3/4 oz rosemary syrup
>>3/4 oz fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 of a lemon, squeezed)
>>Club Soda
>>Sprig of rosemary for garnish
>>
>>Fill glass with ice.
>>Add gin, lemon and rosemary simple syrup and stir.
>>Top with club soda, stir briefly and garnish with a rosemary sprig.

> What is Mad Men?
> Janet US

One of the best shows on TV IMO.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/04/2013 9:18 PM, Cheri wrote:
Top with club soda, stir briefly and garnish with a rosemary sprig.

>> What is Mad Men?
>> Janet US

> One of the best shows on TV IMO.

I agree. I have been watching it since the beginning, and have watched
most of the episodes again on DVD. Great show.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2013 9:17 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 17:54:09 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

>> What are you serving for the premier of Mad Men 2013?
>>
>> I have two cocktails that I want to make, but have nothing to eat in
>> mind yet. I should consider crepes or a souffle because they were
>> "guest" food back then. I would make linguini with clams because it
>> was popular in the late '60s, but hubby can't eat shellfish anymore.
>> Of course, a big beef steak and baked potatoes is very '60s as well.
>> Decisions, decisions!
>>
>> Here are the drinks I have in mind
>>
>> Sidecar Cocktail
>> Serves 1
>>
>> 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
>> 3/4 ounce Cointreau
>> 1 1/2 ounce Cognac
>> Lemon wedge and sugar, for rim, optional
>> Garnish could also be lemon twist
>>
>> If you prefer the traditional sugar-rimmed glass, run the wedge of
>> lemon around the edge of a martini glass to moisten. Dip the rim into
>> sugar.
>>
>> In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the freshly squeezed lemon
>> juice, the Cointreau and the Cognac. Shake until well chilled. Strain
>> into the martini glass and enjoy.
>>

>> Ophelia (tested and approved)
>> 2 cocktails
>>
>> Ingredients
>>
>> For the Rosemary Simple Syrup (make ahead):
>>
>> 1/4 cup ground rosemary (use an herb grinder, a coffee grinder or a
>> small food processor)
>> 1/2 cup water
>> 1/2 cup of sugar
>>

>> Preparation:
>>
>> Bring the water to a boil, add the sugar and rosemary and stir until
>> the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and steep the mixture off
>> heat for 45 minutes.
>>
>> Strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer into a container. (The
>> accompanying video has a visual reference for the depth of color that
>> should be achieved; a light golden syrup).
>>
>> To Make the Cocktail:
>>
>> 1 and 1/2 oz of good Gin
>> 3/4 oz rosemary syrup
>> 3/4 oz fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 of a lemon, squeezed)
>> Club Soda
>> Sprig of rosemary for garnish
>>
>> Fill glass with ice.
>> Add gin, lemon and rosemary simple syrup and stir.
>> Top with club soda, stir briefly and garnish with a rosemary sprig.

> What is Mad Men?
> Janet US

I read the other replies because I didn't know what Mad Men is either,
but I still wonder why you have to make cocktails or food to watch it.
Must be like the superbowl of TV shows.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 19:17:13 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> What is Mad Men?
> Janet US

OMG, JANET!!! Where have you been? LOL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Men

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 23:54:02 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> I read the other replies because I didn't know what Mad Men is either,
> but I still wonder why you have to make cocktails or food to watch it.
> Must be like the superbowl of TV shows.

Let's just say it's WAY better than the Oscars - which another show
that people talk about food and drink before they watch it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 8:17*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 17:54:09 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >What are you serving for the premier of Mad Men 2013?

> >I have two cocktails that I want to make, but have nothing to eat in
> >mind yet. *I should consider crepes or a souffle because they were
> >"guest" food back then. *I would make linguini with clams because it
> >was popular in the late '60s, but hubby can't eat shellfish anymore.
> >Of course, a big beef steak and baked potatoes is very '60s as well.
> >Decisions, decisions!

> >Here are the drinks I have in mind

> >Sidecar Cocktail
> >Serves 1

> >3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
> >3/4 ounce Cointreau
> >1 1/2 ounce Cognac
> >Lemon wedge and sugar, for rim, optional
> >Garnish could also be lemon twist

> >If you prefer the traditional sugar-rimmed glass, run the wedge of
> >lemon around the edge of a martini glass to moisten. Dip the rim into
> >sugar.

> >In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the freshly squeezed lemon
> >juice, the Cointreau and the Cognac. Shake until well chilled. Strain
> >into the martini glass and enjoy.

> >Ophelia (tested and approved)
> >2 cocktails

> >Ingredients

> >For the Rosemary Simple Syrup (make ahead):

> >1/4 cup ground rosemary (use an herb grinder, a coffee grinder or a
> >small food processor)
> >1/2 cup water
> >1/2 cup of sugar

> >Preparation:

> >Bring the water to a boil, add the sugar and rosemary and stir until
> >the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and steep the mixture off
> >heat for 45 minutes.

> >Strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer into a container. (The
> >accompanying video has a visual reference for the depth of color that
> >should be achieved; a light golden syrup).

> >To Make the Cocktail:

> >1 and 1/2 oz of good Gin
> >3/4 oz rosemary syrup
> >3/4 oz fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 of a lemon, squeezed)
> >Club Soda
> >Sprig of rosemary for garnish

> >Fill glass with ice.
> >Add gin, lemon and rosemary simple syrup and stir.
> >Top with club soda, stir briefly and garnish with a rosemary sprig.

> What is Mad Men?

Some lame hippie/baby-boomer bullshit that attempts to be relevant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/04/2013 1:25 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 23:54:02 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>> I read the other replies because I didn't know what Mad Men is either,
>> but I still wonder why you have to make cocktails or food to watch it.
>> Must be like the superbowl of TV shows.

> Let's just say it's WAY better than the Oscars - which another show
> that people talk about food and drink before they watch it.

The Oscars is a non issue for me. It is an award show that doesn't even
require those voting to have seen all the movies. It is just a huge
Hollywood publicity stunt. Oscar nominations and awards at theatres or
on DVD boxes mean little to me, though other film awards do have merit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> > One of the best shows on TV IMO.

> I agree.

I found it unwatchable. Like watching worms procreate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 09:06:19 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 07/04/2013 1:25 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 23:54:02 -0400, Cheryl >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I read the other replies because I didn't know what Mad Men is either,
> >> but I still wonder why you have to make cocktails or food to watch it.
> >> Must be like the superbowl of TV shows.

> > Let's just say it's WAY better than the Oscars - which another show
> > that people talk about food and drink before they watch it.
> >

> The Oscars is a non issue for me. It is an award show that doesn't even
> require those voting to have seen all the movies. It is just a huge
> Hollywood publicity stunt. Oscar nominations and awards at theatres or
> on DVD boxes mean little to me, though other film awards do have merit.

If DVD boxes had reviews by Mad Men, I might read them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> The Oscars is a non issue for me. It is an award show that doesn't even
> require those voting to have seen all the movies. It is just a huge
> Hollywood publicity stunt. Oscar nominations and awards at theatres or
> on DVD boxes mean little to me, though other film awards do have merit.

I never watch any of the awards shows but I will watch the "red carpet"
shows as actors are going in and are being interviewed.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> If DVD boxes had reviews by Mad Men, I might read them.

Is the season premier this week, Barbara? Never watched the show but I'm up
for a new show to like. I might watch that and see what I think.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/04/2013 9:45 AM, sf wrote:

>> The Oscars is a non issue for me. It is an award show that doesn't even
>> require those voting to have seen all the movies. It is just a huge
>> Hollywood publicity stunt. Oscar nominations and awards at theatres or
>> on DVD boxes mean little to me, though other film awards do have merit.
>>

> If DVD boxes had reviews by Mad Men, I might read them.

I love the stereotypes of 1960s culture..... the sexism, drinking on the
job, everyone smoking everywhere.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 8:54*pm, sf > wrote:
> What are you serving for the premier of Mad Men 2013?
>
> I have two cocktails that I want to make, but have nothing to eat in
> mind yet. *I should consider crepes or a souffle because they were
> "guest" food back then. *I would make linguini with clams because it
> was popular in the late '60s, but hubby can't eat shellfish anymore.
> Of course, a big beef steak and baked potatoes is very '60s as well.
> Decisions, decisions!
>
> Here are the drinks I have in mind
>
> Sidecar Cocktail
> Serves 1
>
> 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
> 3/4 ounce Cointreau
> 1 1/2 ounce Cognac
> Lemon wedge and sugar, for rim, optional
> Garnish could also be lemon twist
>
> If you prefer the traditional sugar-rimmed glass, run the wedge of
> lemon around the edge of a martini glass to moisten. Dip the rim into
> sugar.
>
> In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the freshly squeezed lemon
> juice, the Cointreau and the Cognac. Shake until well chilled. Strain
> into the martini glass and enjoy.
>
> Ophelia (tested and approved)
> 2 cocktails
>
> Ingredients
>
> For the Rosemary Simple Syrup (make ahead):
>
> 1/4 cup ground rosemary (use an herb grinder, a coffee grinder or a
> small food processor)
> 1/2 cup water
> 1/2 cup of sugar
>
> Preparation:
>
> Bring the water to a boil, add the sugar and rosemary and stir until
> the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and steep the mixture off
> heat for 45 minutes.
>
> Strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer into a container. (The
> accompanying video has a visual reference for the depth of color that
> should be achieved; a light golden syrup).
>
> To Make the Cocktail:
>
> 1 and 1/2 oz of good Gin
> 3/4 oz rosemary syrup
> 3/4 oz fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 of a lemon, squeezed)
> Club Soda
> Sprig of rosemary for garnish
>
> Fill glass with ice.
> Add gin, lemon and rosemary simple syrup and stir.
> Top with club soda, stir briefly and garnish with a rosemary sprig.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

I don't need no stinkin' tv show to induce me to make a Sidecar. Most
bartenders don't even know what it is, btw.

Food in the 50's was no great treat. You were lucky if there was
HoJo's nearby, at least in MY area.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 11:54*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On 4/6/2013 9:17 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 17:54:09 -0700, sf > wrote:

> >> What are you serving for the premier of Mad Men 2013?

> >> I have two cocktails that I want to make, but have nothing to eat in
> >> mind yet. *I should consider crepes or a souffle because they were
> >> "guest" food back then. *I would make linguini with clams because it
> >> was popular in the late '60s, but hubby can't eat shellfish anymore.
> >> Of course, a big beef steak and baked potatoes is very '60s as well.
> >> Decisions, decisions!

> >> Here are the drinks I have in mind

> >> Sidecar Cocktail
> >> Serves 1

> >> 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
> >> 3/4 ounce Cointreau
> >> 1 1/2 ounce Cognac
> >> Lemon wedge and sugar, for rim, optional
> >> Garnish could also be lemon twist

> >> If you prefer the traditional sugar-rimmed glass, run the wedge of
> >> lemon around the edge of a martini glass to moisten. Dip the rim into
> >> sugar.

> >> In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the freshly squeezed lemon
> >> juice, the Cointreau and the Cognac. Shake until well chilled. Strain
> >> into the martini glass and enjoy.

> >> Ophelia (tested and approved)
> >> 2 cocktails

> >> Ingredients

> >> For the Rosemary Simple Syrup (make ahead):

> >> 1/4 cup ground rosemary (use an herb grinder, a coffee grinder or a
> >> small food processor)
> >> 1/2 cup water
> >> 1/2 cup of sugar

> >> Preparation:

> >> Bring the water to a boil, add the sugar and rosemary and stir until
> >> the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and steep the mixture off
> >> heat for 45 minutes.

> >> Strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer into a container. (The
> >> accompanying video has a visual reference for the depth of color that
> >> should be achieved; a light golden syrup).

> >> To Make the Cocktail:

> >> 1 and 1/2 oz of good Gin
> >> 3/4 oz rosemary syrup
> >> 3/4 oz fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 of a lemon, squeezed)
> >> Club Soda
> >> Sprig of rosemary for garnish

> >> Fill glass with ice.
> >> Add gin, lemon and rosemary simple syrup and stir.
> >> Top with club soda, stir briefly and garnish with a rosemary sprig.

> > What is Mad Men?
> > Janet US

> I read the other replies because I didn't know what Mad Men is either,
> but I still wonder why you have to make cocktails or food to watch it.
> Must be like the superbowl of TV shows.
>
> --
> CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

I watched it a few times at its onset - then lost interest. Just like
Dynasty and so many others which went on and on and on.....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 10:01:31 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > If DVD boxes had reviews by Mad Men, I might read them.

> Is the season premier this week, Barbara? Never watched the show but I'm up
> for a new show to like. I might watch that and see what I think.

It's a two hour premier tonight on AMC.
http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 10:11:46 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>

> I love the stereotypes of 1960s culture..... the sexism, drinking on the
> job, everyone smoking everywhere.

That's how it was. My dad was in advertising during those years and
Mad Men portrays the life & times quite accurately. You call it
stereotyping, I call it right on the money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 07:30:59 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> I watched it a few times at its onset - then lost interest. Just like
> Dynasty and so many others which went on and on and on.....

Some hook you, some don't. I got hooked by Mad Men. It's an accurate
portrayal of the life of advertising men during those time... and it's
entertaining too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 07:29:46 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> I don't need no stinkin' tv show to induce me to make a Sidecar. Most
> bartenders don't even know what it is, btw.

I've never had one I liked, but I can make that one. Don't have the
right booze for it though, so I think I'll stick with the Ophelia... I
made the rosemary syrup last night.

> Food in the 50's was no great treat. You were lucky if there was
> HoJo's nearby, at least in MY area.

Mad Men is set in the '60s.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/04/2013 10:29 AM, Kalmia wrote:

>> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> I don't need no stinkin' tv show to induce me to make a Sidecar. Most
> bartenders don't even know what it is, btw.
>
> Food in the 50's was no great treat. You were lucky if there was
> HoJo's nearby, at least in MY area.

Food where? We had lots of good food at home and summer fruits and
vegetables were great. Not so great in the winter because we did not
have access to fresh fruit and vegetables out of season like we have
now. We could get some frozen vegetables but usually had to use them up
right away because our tiny freezers did not hold much.

We rarely went to restaurants. My father had a modest income there was
no money for fancy restaurants. My mother's cooking was better than the
average diner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/04/2013 10:30 AM, Kalmia wrote:

> I watched it a few times at its onset - then lost interest. Just like
> Dynasty and so many others which went on and on and on.....

It's a soap, but it is a god soap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 22:21:55 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 19:17:13 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> What is Mad Men?
>> Janet US

>OMG, JANET!!! Where have you been? LOL
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Men

I think I know which one it is now. It's the one where the men wear
all the funny clothes and haircuts?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 07:29:46 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Apr 6, 8:54*pm, sf > wrote:
>> What are you serving for the premier of Mad Men 2013?
>>
>> I have two cocktails that I want to make, but have nothing to eat in
>> mind yet. *I should consider crepes or a souffle because they were
>> "guest" food back then. *I would make linguini with clams because it
>> was popular in the late '60s, but hubby can't eat shellfish anymore.
>> Of course, a big beef steak and baked potatoes is very '60s as well.
>> Decisions, decisions!
>>
>> Here are the drinks I have in mind
>>
>> Sidecar Cocktail
>> Serves 1
>>
>> 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
>> 3/4 ounce Cointreau
>> 1 1/2 ounce Cognac
>> Lemon wedge and sugar, for rim, optional
>> Garnish could also be lemon twist
>>
>> If you prefer the traditional sugar-rimmed glass, run the wedge of
>> lemon around the edge of a martini glass to moisten. Dip the rim into
>> sugar.
>>
>> In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the freshly squeezed lemon
>> juice, the Cointreau and the Cognac. Shake until well chilled. Strain
>> into the martini glass and enjoy.
>>
>> Ophelia (tested and approved)
>> 2 cocktails
>>
>> Ingredients
>>
>> For the Rosemary Simple Syrup (make ahead):
>>
>> 1/4 cup ground rosemary (use an herb grinder, a coffee grinder or a
>> small food processor)
>> 1/2 cup water
>> 1/2 cup of sugar
>>
>> Preparation:
>>
>> Bring the water to a boil, add the sugar and rosemary and stir until
>> the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and steep the mixture off
>> heat for 45 minutes.
>>
>> Strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer into a container. (The
>> accompanying video has a visual reference for the depth of color that
>> should be achieved; a light golden syrup).
>>
>> To Make the Cocktail:
>>
>> 1 and 1/2 oz of good Gin
>> 3/4 oz rosemary syrup
>> 3/4 oz fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 of a lemon, squeezed)
>> Club Soda
>> Sprig of rosemary for garnish
>>
>> Fill glass with ice.
>> Add gin, lemon and rosemary simple syrup and stir.
>> Top with club soda, stir briefly and garnish with a rosemary sprig.
>>
>> --
>> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

>I don't need no stinkin' tv show to induce me to make a Sidecar. Most
>bartenders don't even know what it is, btw.
>
>Food in the 50's was no great treat. You were lucky if there was
>HoJo's nearby, at least in MY area.

I hear cocktails are making a comeback -- 'zat so? I'm with you, make
me one while you are at it ;o)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 10:11:46 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 07/04/2013 9:45 AM, sf wrote:
>
>>> The Oscars is a non issue for me. It is an award show that doesn't even
>>> require those voting to have seen all the movies. It is just a huge
>>> Hollywood publicity stunt. Oscar nominations and awards at theatres or
>>> on DVD boxes mean little to me, though other film awards do have merit.
>>>

>> If DVD boxes had reviews by Mad Men, I might read them.
>>

>I love the stereotypes of 1960s culture..... the sexism, drinking on the
>job, everyone smoking everywhere.

You say stereotypes-- I say 'the way it was'.

Looking back, the thing that seems funniest to me now is that in the
70's I was hospitalized for a week for GI testing. My room mate was
on O2 so I asked for [and got] another room so I, and my visitors,
could smoke.

We were allowed 2 beers with lunch. We were just driving big trucks,
working with heavy equipment & running telephone lines around electric
poles. What could go wrong?

sexism? Not in Schoharie county. The women knew their place and
didn't need no sexism to keep them in line.

Ahh-- The good old days.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 10:01:31 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:
> > >
> > > If DVD boxes had reviews by Mad Men, I might read them.

> > Is the season premier this week, Barbara? Never watched the show but I'm up
> > for a new show to like. I might watch that and see what I think.
> >

> It's a two hour premier tonight on AMC.
> http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men

Never watched it but I'll give it 2-hour try tonight. I wouldn't mind
finding a good tv show to look forward to. That said, I do hate the ongoing
ones that leave you hanging until the next episode and this sounds like one
of them.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/04/2013 11:05 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 07:30:59 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> I watched it a few times at its onset - then lost interest. Just like
>> Dynasty and so many others which went on and on and on.....

> Some hook you, some don't. I got hooked by Mad Men. It's an accurate
> portrayal of the life of advertising men during those time... and it's
> entertaining too.

It is one of the better soaps. My other favourite was The Sopranos. I
had no interest in watching a program about New Jersey mobsters but I
got the last part of the last episode and realized that I had probably
missed something good. I borrowed some the series on DVDs from the
library,but they did not have Season One. I watched the reruns several
times and kept missing the first episode. I finally got to see it on a
plane returning from Europe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/04/2013 11:30 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> Looking back, the thing that seems funniest to me now is that in the
> 70's I was hospitalized for a week for GI testing. My room mate was
> on O2 so I asked for [and got] another room so I, and my visitors,
> could smoke.

Yep. You could smoke in hospitals, in restaurants, in university
hallways, lecture halls and seminar rooms.

> We were allowed 2 beers with lunch. We were just driving big trucks,
> working with heavy equipment & running telephone lines around electric
> poles. What could go wrong?

In my truck driving days we usually stopped for liquid lunches.

> sexism? Not in Schoharie county. The women knew their place and
> didn't need no sexism to keep them in line.

;-)

And there was no career description that used the term "outside of the
home". Most married women were "homemakers".

> Ahh-- The good old days.

The days when a man could go to work and earn enough to raise a family
with four kids in the same style it takes a working couple to raise two
kids.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/04/2013 11:54 AM, Gary wrote:

> Never watched it but I'll give it 2-hour try tonight. I wouldn't mind
> finding a good tv show to look forward to. That said, I do hate the ongoing
> ones that leave you hanging until the next episode and this sounds like one
> of them.

I wonder how people manage to follow 24. We went on a couple of 24
binges a few winters ago when it was too miserable to go out. We
watched about 12 hours a day for two days to get through one season. I
can't imagine watching it one hour per week for half a year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 7, 2013 9:56:57 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 07/04/2013 11:05 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 07:30:59 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia

> > > wrote:

> >> I watched it a few times at its onset - then lost interest. Just like

> >> Dynasty and so many others which went on and on and on.....

> > Some hook you, some don't. I got hooked by Mad Men. It's an accurate

> > portrayal of the life of advertising men during those time... and it's

> > entertaining too.

> It is one of the better soaps. My other favourite was The Sopranos. I
>
> had no interest in watching a program about New Jersey mobsters but I
>
> got the last part of the last episode and realized that I had probably
>
> missed something good. I borrowed some the series on DVDs from the
>
> library,but they did not have Season One. I watched the reruns several
>
> times and kept missing the first episode. I finally got to see it on a
>
> plane returning from Europe.

I detested "The Sopranos" after watching a couple of episodes and I
couldn't understand how people were so struck on it. Powerful crooks
are not my forte.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 07/04/2013 11:54 AM, Gary wrote:
>
>> Never watched it but I'll give it 2-hour try tonight. I wouldn't mind
>> finding a good tv show to look forward to. That said, I do hate the
>> ongoing
>> ones that leave you hanging until the next episode and this sounds like
>> one
>> of them.

> I wonder how people manage to follow 24. We went on a couple of 24 binges
> a few winters ago when it was too miserable to go out. We watched about
> 12 hours a day for two days to get through one season. I can't imagine
> watching it one hour per week for half a year.

The one thing I noticed about 24 was when you watched several episodes in
one day, you noticed the inconsistencies and repetition a lot, whereas if
you only watched it once a week you didn't. At least that was my experience.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 07:59:12 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 10:01:31 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>> >
>> > If DVD boxes had reviews by Mad Men, I might read them.

>> Is the season premier this week, Barbara? Never watched the show but I'm up
>> for a new show to like. I might watch that and see what I think.
>>

>It's a two hour premier tonight on AMC.
>http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men

I'm watching the season opener of River Monsters tonight.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/7/2013 10:59 AM, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 10:01:31 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>>
>>> If DVD boxes had reviews by Mad Men, I might read them.

>> Is the season premier this week, Barbara? Never watched the show but I'm up
>> for a new show to like. I might watch that and see what I think.
>>

> It's a two hour premier tonight on AMC.
> http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men

They sure have a huge cast! I've never heard of any of them, and I
didn't know Tom Hanks had a son who is an actor, either. He looks JUST
LIKE his dad. Wow.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/7/2013 12:19 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 07/04/2013 11:54 AM, Gary wrote:
>
>> Never watched it but I'll give it 2-hour try tonight. I wouldn't mind
>> finding a good tv show to look forward to. That said, I do hate the
>> ongoing
>> ones that leave you hanging until the next episode and this sounds
>> like one
>> of them.

> I wonder how people manage to follow 24. We went on a couple of 24
> binges a few winters ago when it was too miserable to go out. We
> watched about 12 hours a day for two days to get through one season. I
> can't imagine watching it one hour per week for half a year.

I did, and looked forward to every episode and every new season. Not
many series do that for me.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-04-07, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> What is Mad Men?

It's a nothing more than a soap opera with big $$$$ production values.
This, like so many other prime-time programs currently in vogue on US
TV. I watched part of the first season until I realized what I was
watching. It's a stupid soap opera, plain and simple. Stories don't
resolve every episode, they jes drone on and on with Joan cheating on
Jim who is cheating with Betty who is really in love with..... (snore)

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 7, 2013 11:03:39 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 10:11:46 -0400, Dave Smith
>
> > wrote:
>

> > I love the stereotypes of 1960s culture..... the sexism, drinking on the

> > job, everyone smoking everywhere.

> That's how it was. My dad was in advertising during those years and
>
> Mad Men portrays the life & times quite accurately. You call it
>
> stereotyping, I call it right on the money.
>

> --
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

And not worth celebrating. Your dad was a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 11:54:03 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:

> > > Is the season premier this week, Barbara? Never watched the show but I'm up
> > > for a new show to like. I might watch that and see what I think.
> > >

> > It's a two hour premier tonight on AMC.
> > http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men

> Never watched it but I'll give it 2-hour try tonight. I wouldn't mind
> finding a good tv show to look forward to. That said, I do hate the ongoing
> ones that leave you hanging until the next episode and this sounds like one
> of them.

Every episode is complete. No cliff hangers, but there is an ongoing
storyline.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 12:19:14 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 07/04/2013 11:54 AM, Gary wrote:
>
> > Never watched it but I'll give it 2-hour try tonight. I wouldn't mind
> > finding a good tv show to look forward to. That said, I do hate the ongoing
> > ones that leave you hanging until the next episode and this sounds like one
> > of them.

> I wonder how people manage to follow 24. We went on a couple of 24
> binges a few winters ago when it was too miserable to go out. We
> watched about 12 hours a day for two days to get through one season. I
> can't imagine watching it one hour per week for half a year.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Three shows are appt. television or I record them: Mad Men, Grimm and
Once Upon a Time. Other than that, I mainly watch MSNBC/CNN, Food
network/Cooking Channel, HGTV - sometimes Spike or one of the History
channels. I have a package that gives me HBO for free now, so I'll be
watching it from time to time too until the freebie isn't free anymore
and then I'll drop it. Hubby didn't like Game of Thrones from the
gitgo and I'm not interested enough to catch with the storyline.
That's one with cliff hangers at the end of every episode, isn't it?
Not a fan of daytime drama type television shows. I also hate all of
those elimination type shows: the voice, dancing with the Stars, Iron
Chef etc etc.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 11:04:34 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> The one thing I noticed about 24 was when you watched several episodes in
> one day, you noticed the inconsistencies and repetition a lot, whereas if
> you only watched it once a week you didn't. At least that was my experience.

What do you think of that zombie show? My house is divided. I hate
it, hubby loves it.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 12:47:49 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 07:59:12 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

> >It's a two hour premier tonight on AMC.
> >http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men

> I'm watching the season opener of River Monsters tonight.

Is this sweeps month?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila