Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mad Men coming soon!

On 4/7/2013 12:01 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 07/04/2013 11:30 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>

>> Looking back, the thing that seems funniest to me now is that in the
>> 70's I was hospitalized for a week for GI testing. My room mate was
>> on O2 so I asked for [and got] another room so I, and my visitors,
>> could smoke.

> Yep. You could smoke in hospitals, in restaurants, in university
> hallways, lecture halls and seminar rooms.

Even in the 80s we could smoke in our offices at work. I can still
remember the layer of smoke in the hallway, sort of a fog. And one woman
set her trashcan on fire emptying her ashtray. Our ban on indoor
smoking came about in the early 90s. One woman quit just because she
was told she couldn't smoke in her office. I'm sure she didn't find any
other place that allowed it.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/7/2013 5:29 PM, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 11:04:34 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> The one thing I noticed about 24 was when you watched several episodes in
>> one day, you noticed the inconsistencies and repetition a lot, whereas if
>> you only watched it once a week you didn't. At least that was my experience.

> What do you think of that zombie show? My house is divided. I hate
> it, hubby loves it.

One of my friends told me about that show, but it's what, 4 or so
seasons in now? I tried watching it, but I really have to watch TV
shows from the beginning or not at all. From what I saw I don't think
I'm going to bother.

LOST was another story though. I didn't watch all of season one when it
was on, but caught up on DVDs. After that I was hooked.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 16:03:43 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> They sure have a huge cast! I've never heard of any of them, and I
> didn't know Tom Hanks had a son who is an actor, either. He looks JUST
> LIKE his dad. Wow.

I don't keep track of pedigrees, resume or real life names. It's
simply not important information to me.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 12:16:08 -0500, heyjoe >
wrote:

> As always, YMMV.

Correct.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 09:26:53 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I hear cocktails are making a comeback -- 'zat so? I'm with you, make
> me one while you are at it ;o)

They've been back since the '90s! I only drink cocktails when I'm
away from either coast. They do something to wine that makes it
undrinkable AFAIC. It's probably due to poor shipping and storage
conditions. I can only say that brands I'm very familiar with and
consider quite drinkable, taste like swill when I'm away from either
coast.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 09:24:36 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 22:21:55 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 19:17:13 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
> >
> >> What is Mad Men?
> >> Janet US

> >OMG, JANET!!! Where have you been? LOL
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Men

> I think I know which one it is now. It's the one where the men wear
> all the funny clothes and haircuts?

They also smoke like chimneys, drink like fish (at the office, no
less) and womanize till the cows come home.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 08:42:47 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> I am missing Mad Men. ;( We don't get that channel where I am
> staying...

Maybe you can watch is via the internet.
http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men/episodes
I know I can catch up quickly with Once Upon A Time if I miss an
episode and forget to record it.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 17:36:23 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> LOST was another story though. I didn't watch all of season one when it
> was on, but caught up on DVDs. After that I was hooked.

Never watched it. Didn't watch The Sopranos or Sex in the City
either.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 17:31:47 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> Even in the 80s we could smoke in our offices at work. I can still
> remember the layer of smoke in the hallway, sort of a fog. And one woman
> set her trashcan on fire emptying her ashtray. Our ban on indoor
> smoking came about in the early 90s. One woman quit just because she
> was told she couldn't smoke in her office. I'm sure she didn't find any
> other place that allowed it.

My husband had TB when he was in high school and spent a year at a
hospital getting rid of it, so he was super glad when smoking was
banned in offices, restaurants and on airplanes. The worst flight of
my life was me sitting in the last row of non-smoking with two men
chain smoking cigars right behind me - SF to Chicago. I was literally
green when I disembarked.... and so nauseous, I felt like I had a bad
case of the flu.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 14:30:53 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 12:47:49 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 07:59:12 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>

>> >It's a two hour premier tonight on AMC.
>> >http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men

>> I'm watching the season opener of River Monsters tonight.
>>

>Is this sweeps month?

Could be, but I just think that the 'seasons' that you and I grew up
with are no longer. I think there are short seasons for the off main
network channels. I think the season opener for Warehouse 13 is this
week also, if not this week this month. Perhaps also Bones. Rather
than compete directly with the big networks during the winter months,
these other networks have their own seasons during the spring/summer.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 16:23:31 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 14:30:53 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

> >Is this sweeps month?

> Could be, but I just think that the 'seasons' that you and I grew up
> with are no longer. I think there are short seasons for the off main
> network channels. I think the season opener for Warehouse 13 is this
> week also, if not this week this month. Perhaps also Bones. Rather
> than compete directly with the big networks during the winter months,
> these other networks have their own seasons during the spring/summer.

Never heard of Warehouse 13, but Bones is an ongoing network show it?
I thought the "summer season" was used to try out new shows and those
that made it were put into the Fall/Winter line up. Guess we have two
real seasons now... and I'm not objecting at all!

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-04-07 00:54:09 +0000, sf said:

> What are you serving for the premier of Mad Men 2013?
>
> I have two cocktails that I want to make, but have nothing to eat in
> mind yet. I should consider crepes or a souffle because they were
> "guest" food back then. I would make linguini with clams because it
> was popular in the late '60s, but hubby can't eat shellfish anymore.
> Of course, a big beef steak and baked potatoes is very '60s as well.
> Decisions, decisions!
>
> Here are the drinks I have in mind
>
> Sidecar Cocktail
> Serves 1
>
> 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
> 3/4 ounce Cointreau
> 1 1/2 ounce Cognac
> Lemon wedge and sugar, for rim, optional
> Garnish could also be lemon twist
>
> If you prefer the traditional sugar-rimmed glass, run the wedge of
> lemon around the edge of a martini glass to moisten. Dip the rim into
> sugar.
>
> In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the freshly squeezed lemon
> juice, the Cointreau and the Cognac. Shake until well chilled. Strain
> into the martini glass and enjoy.

I've gotten to where I'm drinking a Sidecar more and more since I can't
find a bartender that can make a martini without me holding their hands
throughout the process. I had a bartender make me a sidecar a year ago
with armagnac, of which I am a big fan. But I can't find that any more
frequently than a non-M&R Extra Bad vermouth.

But I prefer it 4 parts Cognac, 1 part Cointreau (or Gran Marnier) and
just a squeeze of lemon. It's more Cognacky that way and less orangey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 6, 2013 9:29:59 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 06/04/2013 9:18 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
> Top with club soda, stir briefly and garnish with a rosemary sprig.
>

> >> What is Mad Men?

> >> Janet US

> > One of the best shows on TV IMO.

> I agree. I have been watching it since the beginning, and have watched
>
> most of the episodes again on DVD. Great show.

One of the only good shows. DVD is the way to go, or streaming. Seriously, Cheri, this is good drama. Probably the best thing on TV right now, and one of the only things worth anything on TV, other than PBS or the Daily Show.

--Bryan, who was too tired to do what he should have been doing tonight.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, April 6, 2013 9:29:59 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 06/04/2013 9:18 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> Top with club soda, stir briefly and garnish with a rosemary sprig.

>> > One of the best shows on TV IMO.

>> I agree. I have been watching it since the beginning, and have watched
>>
>> most of the episodes again on DVD. Great show.

> One of the only good shows. DVD is the way to go, or streaming.
> Seriously, Cheri, this is good drama. Probably the best thing on TV right
> now, and one of the only things worth anything on TV, other than PBS or
> the Daily Show.

It's an excellent drama, one of the best I've seen. I've been watching from
the first season.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 16:49:00 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> I've gotten to where I'm drinking a Sidecar more and more since I can't
> find a bartender that can make a martini without me holding their hands
> throughout the process. I had a bartender make me a sidecar a year ago
> with armagnac, of which I am a big fan. But I can't find that any more
> frequently than a non-M&R Extra Bad vermouth.
>
> But I prefer it 4 parts Cognac, 1 part Cointreau (or Gran Marnier) and
> just a squeeze of lemon. It's more Cognacky that way and less orangey.

I'm thinking I really need to buy the ingredients for a Sidecar!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-04-10 01:45:25 +0000, sf said:

> On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 16:49:00 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>> I've gotten to where I'm drinking a Sidecar more and more since I can't
>> find a bartender that can make a martini without me holding their hands
>> throughout the process. I had a bartender make me a sidecar a year ago
>> with armagnac, of which I am a big fan. But I can't find that any more
>> frequently than a non-M&R Extra Bad vermouth.
>>
>> But I prefer it 4 parts Cognac, 1 part Cointreau (or Gran Marnier) and
>> just a squeeze of lemon. It's more Cognacky that way and less orangey.

> I'm thinking I really need to buy the ingredients for a Sidecar!

It's a great start!