Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Book recommendation

The more robust and vital the body is the better chance you have of
living much longer and in achieving your goals.

To that end, I want to recommend the unfortunately titled book, The
Science of Skinny, which can be easily found he

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Skinny...ence+of+skinny

I call the title unfortunate because the book is not really about
weight loss but the science that undermines our food production in the
21st century. It was not the original title of the book, by the way.
I believe an editor or publisher changed the title because “weight
loss” books sell better than “good health” books. (An unfortunate
commentary on our societal values.)

A WORD OF CAUTION: Please do NOT let the scientific explanations in
the first chapters turn you off. If they aren’t of that much interest
to you, just skim them so that you can have an overview of what is
going on. Then “soldier on” until Chapter 10 which begins to bring
the material into some order for your use. (If you jump to Chapter 10
without at least an minimal understanding of what is going on, it will
not resonate as well with you.)

For those of you just beginning your nutritional journey, some of this
may be shocking to you. Another reason to understand the scientific
reality underlying the premise of the book.

I realize that for many of you I may be “preaching to the Choir”, and
that you already know this material. However, this book has put
together, in a succinct manner, the science that is behind the
nutrition and has done so in an orderly way. Although I didn’t learn
anything new, I did get reminded of some things that had let slip
through the cracks over the years because of convenience and laziness.

For those of us in an older generation, I think moving to a processed-
free living format can dramatically extend and effect our quality of
life.

For those of you who are younger, it can change your whole life’s
experience.

And, for those of you guiding young children along life’s journey, I
enthusiastically urge you to read this book. There is a great section
on dealing with children and recipes just for kids.

If you are set in your ways, I still urge you to make whatever small
changes you can. As a very wise man once said, “Even a dirty cloth
that is dipped into water but one time is not as dirty as it had once
been.” Meaning – even the smallest of changes can make a big
difference.

I offer you this material with the greatest of wishes that you have a
happy, healthy, vital and joyful life.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 1:13*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> The more robust and vital the body is the better chance you have of
> living much longer and *in achieving your goals.
>
> To that end, I want to recommend the unfortunately titled book, The
> Science of Skinny, which can be easily found he
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Science-Skinny...istry---Dietin...
>
> I call the title unfortunate because the book is not really about
> weight loss but the science that undermines our food production in the
> 21st century. *It was not the original title of the book, by the way.
> I believe an editor or publisher changed the title because “weight
> loss” books sell better than “good health” books. *(An unfortunate
> commentary on our societal values.)
>
> A WORD OF CAUTION: *Please do NOT let the scientific explanations in
> the first chapters turn you off. *If they aren’t of that much interest
> to you, just skim them so that you can have an overview of what is
> going on. *Then “soldier on” until Chapter 10 which begins to bring
> the material into some order for your use. *(If you jump to Chapter 10
> without at least an minimal understanding of what is going on, it will
> not resonate as well with you.)
>
> For those of you just beginning your nutritional journey, some of this
> may be shocking to you. *Another reason to understand the scientific
> reality underlying the premise of the book.
>
> I realize that for many of you I may be “preaching to the Choir”, and
> that you already know this material. * However, this book has put
> together, in a succinct manner, the science that is behind the
> nutrition and has done so in an orderly way. *Although I didn’t learn
> anything new, I did get reminded of some things that had let slip
> through the cracks over the years because of convenience and laziness.
>
> For those of us in an older generation, I think moving to a processed-
> free living format can dramatically extend and effect our quality of
> life.
>
> For those of you who are younger, it can change your whole life’s
> experience.
>
> And, for those of you guiding young children along life’s journey, I
> enthusiastically urge you to read this book. *There is a great section
> on dealing with children and recipes just for kids.
>
> If you are set in your ways, I still urge you to make whatever small
> changes you can. *As a very wise man once said, “Even a dirty cloth
> that is dipped into water but one time is not as dirty as it had once
> been.” *Meaning – even the smallest of changes can make a big
> difference.
>
> I offer you this material with the greatest of wishes that you have a
> happy, healthy, vital and joyful life.

If a person is willing to cut out just refined flour and refined sugar
(It's not nearly as easy as it sounds if you've never tried it before.
White sugar and HFCS show up in the god damndest places, and "whole
wheat" flour is usually just white flour with enough of the bran
tossed back in to give it a little color and a slightly off taste),
the results just in terms of how you feel are really remarkable.
You're almost defaulting to a form if Atkins where carbs are okay,
just as long as they aren't refined.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> The more robust and vital the body is the better chance you have of
> living much longer and in achieving your goals.
>
> To that end, I want to recommend the unfortunately titled book, The
> Science of Skinny, which can be easily found he
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Science-Skinny...ing-Chemistry-
>--Dieting/dp/0738215570/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365170924&sr=1-1&keywords=the+science+of+skinny

Thank you for the book recommendation and for taking the time to explain
what it's about. I've added it to my Wish List at amazon.com, which
means I'll be ordering it sometime in the next few weeks.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 1:13*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> The more robust and vital the body is the better chance you have of
> living much longer and *in achieving your goals.
>
> To that end, I want to recommend the unfortunately titled book, The
> Science of Skinny, which can be easily found he
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Science-Skinny...istry---Dietin...
>
> I call the title unfortunate because the book is not really about
> weight loss but the science that undermines our food production in the
> 21st century. *It was not the original title of the book, by the way.
> I believe an editor or publisher changed the title because “weight
> loss” books sell better than “good health” books. *(An unfortunate
> commentary on our societal values.)
>
> A WORD OF CAUTION: *Please do NOT let the scientific explanations in
> the first chapters turn you off. *If they aren’t of that much interest
> to you, just skim them so that you can have an overview of what is
> going on. *Then “soldier on” until Chapter 10 which begins to bring
> the material into some order for your use. *(If you jump to Chapter 10
> without at least an minimal understanding of what is going on, it will
> not resonate as well with you.)
>
> For those of you just beginning your nutritional journey, some of this
> may be shocking to you. *Another reason to understand the scientific
> reality underlying the premise of the book.
>
> I realize that for many of you I may be “preaching to the Choir”, and
> that you already know this material. * However, this book has put
> together, in a succinct manner, the science that is behind the
> nutrition and has done so in an orderly way. *Although I didn’t learn
> anything new, I did get reminded of some things that had let slip
> through the cracks over the years because of convenience and laziness.
>
> For those of us in an older generation, I think moving to a processed-
> free living format can dramatically extend and effect our quality of
> life.
>
> For those of you who are younger, it can change your whole life’s
> experience.
>
> And, for those of you guiding young children along life’s journey, I
> enthusiastically urge you to read this book. *There is a great section
> on dealing with children and recipes just for kids.
>
> If you are set in your ways, I still urge you to make whatever small
> changes you can. *As a very wise man once said, “Even a dirty cloth
> that is dipped into water but one time is not as dirty as it had once
> been.” *Meaning – even the smallest of changes can make a big
> difference.
>
> I offer you this material with the greatest of wishes that you have a
> happy, healthy, vital and joyful life.

Books? I recommend "Das Kapital" and "The Time Machine".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2013 1:13 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> The more robust and vital the body is the better chance you have of
> living much longer and in achieving your goals.
>
> To that end, I want to recommend the unfortunately titled book, The
> Science of Skinny, which can be easily found he
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Science-Skinny...ence+of+skinny

Thanks for giving us all this information. Another book you might like
(she has written a couple), is by Dr. Schwarzbein, she wants you to have
optimum health, so she explains what happens to the organs in your body,
when you eat sugar, smoke, drink alcohol, etc. Her books are about
living longer, and since food is what we feed the machine, which is our
body, she talks about food. She also talks about hormones and more, you
can skip the chapters that do not interest you, but I found the entire
book interesting.

http://www.schwarzbeinprinciple.com/.../program1.html

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/7/2013 9:04 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:

The link I gave is wrong, sorry. Here is the correct one.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/schw...ein/1103853824

Becca