Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Chop By Any Other Name...

To pork or not to pork:
http://associationsnow.com/2013/04/w...me-prime-cuts/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 10:16:23 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>To pork or not to pork:
>http://associationsnow.com/2013/04/w...me-prime-cuts/

what a pain that's going to be and an opportunity for re-pricing to
fit the new names. Thanks for the heads up.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 10:16:23 -0400, Brooklyn1
> > wrote:
>
>>To pork or not to pork:
>>http://associationsnow.com/2013/04/w...me-prime-cuts/

> what a pain that's going to be and an opportunity for re-pricing to
> fit the new names. Thanks for the heads up.

Good grief No doubt we will be seeing those here soon too.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 10:16*am, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> To pork or not to pork:http://associationsnow.com/2013/04/w...t-a-pork-chop-...

Flip regs. We always did our own pork until the early 1970's. No
trich. My folks and other relatives ate the lungs and other offal.
Never any disease. They tasted the sausage meat raw. I know that
many people in the past got sick from trich, but it never seemed to
happen in our family. Luck, or skill? Our pigs were penned. Does
that mean that pigs allowed to root in the great out doors had a
greater chance of catching trich? I've never heard of a case of trich
in our family going back generations. Having said that, there was
quite a bit of trich in Hungary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 9:16*am, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> To pork or not to pork:http://associationsnow.com/2013/04/w...t-a-pork-chop-...

What's so unattractive about the name, pork chop? I don't get it.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 3:58*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 12:39:44 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:
> > On Apr 6, 9:16 am, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> >> To pork or not to pork:http://associationsnow.com/2013/04/w...t-a-pork-chop-...

> > What's so unattractive about the name, pork chop? *I don't get it.

> That's the thing, is that I've never seen anything labeled that except
> for on a menu. *Never in a store.
>
> -sw

I haven't either, but it is the term I hear most in conversation.
It's all just silly. And, really, I'm in the Midwest and have never
seen " pork steak" on a sign or label.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2013 10:29 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 10:16:23 -0400, Brooklyn1
> > wrote:
>
>> To pork or not to pork:
>> http://associationsnow.com/2013/04/w...me-prime-cuts/

> what a pain that's going to be and an opportunity for re-pricing to
> fit the new names. Thanks for the heads up.
> Janet US

We have seen rib-eye chops, already, and I wondered what was going on.
Now I know.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 05:55:27 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> On Apr 6, 3:58*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> > > What's so unattractive about the name, pork chop? *I don't get it.

> > That's the thing, is that I've never seen anything labeled that except
> > for on a menu. *Never in a store.
> >
> > -sw

> I haven't either, but it is the term I hear most in conversation.
> It's all just silly. And, really, I'm in the Midwest and have never
> seen " pork steak" on a sign or label.

Ditto. Much ado about nothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 08:26:02 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> On 4/6/2013 10:29 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> > On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 10:16:23 -0400, Brooklyn1
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> To pork or not to pork:
> >> http://associationsnow.com/2013/04/w...me-prime-cuts/

> > what a pain that's going to be and an opportunity for re-pricing to
> > fit the new names. Thanks for the heads up.
> > Janet US

> We have seen rib-eye chops, already, and I wondered what was going on.
> Now I know.

I, for one, don't want to buy pieces of pig with beef names on them.
IMO, if the pork industry is being hammered in the market place, a
good way to get consumers back would be by lowering prices. Hello?
Common sense. They cut back on beef production and raised the price.
Where did the beef industry end up? At the back of the line. I
rarely eat beef anymore and I can well afford it, but I'm not paying
highway robbery prices for a hunk of meat that I have to cook.

Everyone has dropped a notch or two with eating out and eating at
home; but once people are fully employed again at not crappy wages,
their spending habits will "beef" up. Until then, they're eating the
least expensive meat in the butcher case or none at all. You'd think
"the makers" would be able to understand how low wages dictate what
customers purchase, but they're so insulated from reality that they
are unable put the two together.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shelley ranted:

> there are only five types of
> pork titties to remember, there's pointy pork titties, bulbous titties, droopy titties,
> hairy titties, and titties that fit up my ass... and they must contain nipples to be called
> titties... those things they label "nippleless titties" are NOT titties,
> they are pork sausages. You know I like my sausages, the bigger and fatter the better,
> but sausages ain't titties no matter how you hump em.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/7/2013 8:55 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Apr 6, 3:58 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 12:39:44 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:

>>> What's so unattractive about the name, pork chop? I don't get it.

>> That's the thing, is that I've never seen anything labeled that except
>> for on a menu. Never in a store.

Not even at Costco? I don't have the package left, but I do look
at it to make sure they are loin or rib chops. And it does say
chops, I'm positive.

> I haven't either, but it is the term I hear most in conversation.
> It's all just silly. And, really, I'm in the Midwest and have never
> seen " pork steak" on a sign or label.

I have only seen that term here, I had to ask what the heck it was.
You will not see that cut here, labelled or not, except maybe as a
ham steak, cured.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 10:53:22 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Not even at Costco? I don't have the package left, but I do look
>> at it to make sure they are loin or rib chops. And it does say
>> chops, I'm positive.

> They are always qualified by "Pork loin" or "Pork sirloin"... chops
> (and possibly prefaced by the word "boneless"). In the case of a
> mixed package of chops, they say "Assorted Pork Chops".
>

>>> I haven't either, but it is the term I hear most in conversation.
>>> It's all just silly. And, really, I'm in the Midwest and have never
>>> seen " pork steak" on a sign or label.

>> I have only seen that term here, I had to ask what the heck it was.
>> You will not see that cut here, labelled or not, except maybe as a
>> ham steak, cured.

> Ours are labeled "Center Cut Ham Steak". The term "Ham" is explicitly
> reserved for a hind leg of pork (or in the case of turkey, then it's a
> thigh).

Steaks are not necessarily seen here as beef. I see Gammon steaks, or pork
steaks etc.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 07:14:37 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 08:26:02 -0500, Ema Nymton >
>wrote:
>
>> On 4/6/2013 10:29 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> > On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 10:16:23 -0400, Brooklyn1

>> > what a pain that's going to be and an opportunity for re-pricing to
>> > fit the new names. Thanks for the heads up.
>> > Janet US

>> We have seen rib-eye chops, already, and I wondered what was going on.
>> Now I know.

>I, for one, don't want to buy pieces of pig with beef names on them.
>IMO, if the pork industry is being hammered in the market place, a
>good way to get consumers back would be by lowering prices. Hello?
>Common sense. They cut back on beef production and raised the price.
>Where did the beef industry end up? At the back of the line. I
>rarely eat beef anymore and I can well afford it, but I'm not paying
>highway robbery prices for a hunk of meat that I have to cook.
>
>Everyone has dropped a notch or two with eating out and eating at
>home; but once people are fully employed again at not crappy wages,
>their spending habits will "beef" up. Until then, they're eating the
>least expensive meat in the butcher case or none at all. You'd think
>"the makers" would be able to understand how low wages dictate what
>customers purchase, but they're so insulated from reality that they
>are unable put the two together.

It came to me in a flash in Costco the other day . . . I could now buy
leg of lamb with a clear conscience. It is now one of the cheaper
cuts of meat at the meat counter.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 05:55:27 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On Apr 6, 3:58*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

>> > What's so unattractive about the name, pork chop? *I don't get it.

>> That's the thing, is that I've never seen anything labeled that except
>> for on a menu. *Never in a store.
>>
>> -sw

> I haven't either, but it is the term I hear most in conversation.
>It's all just silly. And, really, I'm in the Midwest and have never
>seen " pork steak" on a sign or label.
>
>N.

I'm from the Midwest and to me that term is old. Pork steak is not a
swish piece of meat. It is heavily veined with fat and works well in
places where the meat will be cooked a long time to tenderize. I
think it is cut from the butt.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/7/2013 10:13 AM, l not -l wrote:

> On 7-Apr-2013, Nancy2 > wrote:
>
>> . And, really, I'm in the Midwest and have never seen " pork
>> steak" on a sign or label.
>>
>> N.

> I'm in the midwest as well; this weeks store ad proudly proclaims
> pork steaks to be $1.89/lb on - see page 6. The packages and the ad
> specifically say pork steak - they are hugely popular here (STL) and
> are advertised a couple of times per month by the three regional
> chains that dominate the area.
> http://schnucks.shoptocook.com/weeklyad.jsp Not sure when the ad
> changes from the one I looked at; perhaps tomorrow.

That store isn't in my area, and you have to enter a zip code to view
it. I like to see regional differences in products and prices, so I
would have looked at it.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 09:39:40 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> It came to me in a flash in Costco the other day . . . I could now buy
> leg of lamb with a clear conscience. It is now one of the cheaper
> cuts of meat at the meat counter.

You're saying it's one of the cheaper meats at Costco? Are you
talking about total package price or price per pound? Is it American
lamb?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 6, 2013 10:16:23 AM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> To pork or not to pork:
>
> http://associationsnow.com/2013/04/w...me-prime-cuts/

Hey! Look! The cat lady read last week's news. You go on girl!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 09:43:45 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I'm from the Midwest and to me that term is old. Pork steak is not a
> swish piece of meat. It is heavily veined with fat and works well in
> places where the meat will be cooked a long time to tenderize. I
> think it is cut from the butt.

Why on earth would they call something from the shoulder "steak"?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 14:07:51 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 09:39:40 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> It came to me in a flash in Costco the other day . . . I could now buy
>> leg of lamb with a clear conscience. It is now one of the cheaper
>> cuts of meat at the meat counter.

>You're saying it's one of the cheaper meats at Costco? Are you
>talking about total package price or price per pound? Is it American
>lamb?

Price per pound. At $4.99 it is cheaper than most of the fish and
definitely all the beef product (except ground beef). ground turkey
is cheaper. It is close to or equal to the price per pound for a lot
of the pork products. No, I don't believe that it is American lamb.
But I am o.k. with the taste of New Zealand and Australian lamb.
Maybe I ought to buy up some lamb before someone reads this and
decides to price the lamb higher.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 14:13:59 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 09:43:45 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> I'm from the Midwest and to me that term is old. Pork steak is not a
>> swish piece of meat. It is heavily veined with fat and works well in
>> places where the meat will be cooked a long time to tenderize. I
>> think it is cut from the butt.

>Why on earth would they call something from the shoulder "steak"?

Dunno, that's just the way it is where I grew up. If you look at the
pictures of pork steak on the Web, you'll see what I mean. There are
some pictures of loin-looking pieces of meat, but most of them are as
I described. Most generally, the way I would expect it to be fixed
would be egged, breaded and fried or put on top of scalloped potatoes
while they bake. It's a thinner cut of meat, not super thin. If you
look at it, it resembles the cut of beef chuck called the 7-bone.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 17:22:02 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> Price per pound. At $4.99 it is cheaper than most of the fish and
> definitely all the beef product (except ground beef).

That's a very good price. What cut are you talking about?

ground turkey
> is cheaper. It is close to or equal to the price per pound for a lot
> of the pork products. No, I don't believe that it is American lamb.
> But I am o.k. with the taste of New Zealand and Australian lamb.
> Maybe I ought to buy up some lamb before someone reads this and
> decides to price the lamb higher.

I hate Aus lamb, but NZ is okay. Of course, I prefer American. Think
I'll go look for lamb at Costco this week and see if it's priced the
same here... I don't remember it being so reasonable.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 22:57:30 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> On 7-Apr-2013, sf > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 09:43:45 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > I'm from the Midwest and to me that term is old. Pork steak is not
> > > swish piece of meat. It is heavily veined with fat and works well
> > > in
> > > places where the meat will be cooked a long time to tenderize. I
> > > think it is cut from the butt.

> > Why on earth would they call something from the shoulder "steak"?

> Why wouldn't they? Perhaps your definition of steak is more narrow than
> necessary. Merriam-Webster says:
> "A slice of meat cut from the fleshy part of an animal or large fish."
> The shoulder certainly qualifies as "...fleshy part of an animal..."

Yes, I have a much narrower definition. What a crock that MW
definition is.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 17:26:50 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> If you
> look at it, it resembles the cut of beef chuck called the 7-bone.

I wouldn't call that a steak either unless my tongue was planted
firmly in my cheek.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 16:39:43 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 17:22:02 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> Price per pound. At $4.99 it is cheaper than most of the fish and
>> definitely all the beef product (except ground beef).

>That's a very good price. What cut are you talking about?
>
> ground turkey
>> is cheaper. It is close to or equal to the price per pound for a lot
>> of the pork products. No, I don't believe that it is American lamb.
>> But I am o.k. with the taste of New Zealand and Australian lamb.
>> Maybe I ought to buy up some lamb before someone reads this and
>> decides to price the lamb higher.

>I hate Aus lamb, but NZ is okay. Of course, I prefer American. Think
>I'll go look for lamb at Costco this week and see if it's priced the
>same here... I don't remember it being so reasonable.

I never thought -- maybe it was an after Easter thing to get rid of
some inventory. Darn. I'm going tomorrow and get some.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 16:43:34 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 17:26:50 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> If you
>> look at it, it resembles the cut of beef chuck called the 7-bone.

>I wouldn't call that a steak either unless my tongue was planted
>firmly in my cheek.

Well, of course, it isn't. I was just trying to describe what the
meat cut looked like.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/7/2013 6:51 PM, l not -l wrote:

> On 7-Apr-2013, Cheryl > wrote:
>

>> That store isn't in my area, and you have to enter a zip code to view
>> it. I like to see regional differences in products and prices, so I
>> would have looked at it.

> If you are interested in seeing the prices for St. Louis, you can use
> zipcode 63101 for the city or 63126 for suburbs.

Thanks!

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 9:13*am, "l not -l" > wrote:
> On *7-Apr-2013, Nancy2 > wrote:
>
> > . *And, really, I'm in the Midwest and have never
> > seen " pork steak" on a sign or label.

> > N.

> I'm in the midwest as well; this weeks store ad proudly proclaims pork
> steaks to be $1.89/lb on - see page 6. *The packages and the ad
> specifically say pork steak - they are hugely popular here (STL) and are
> advertised a couple of times per month by the three regional chains that
> dominate the area.http://schnucks.shoptocook.com/weeklyad.jsp
> Not sure when the ad changes from the one I looked at; perhaps tomorrow.
> --
> Change Cujo to Juno in email address.
>
> Bad decisions make good stories.

Maybe my stores are just behind the times, or had too many questions
about what pork steak is. LOL.

N.