Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I've had to change my rice proportions.

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> So many recipes and so few meals to try them

OH YES!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:27:15 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 16:55:27 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Dirty Rice is a dish composed of white
> >> rice cooked in a broth with the Cajun Trinity (onion, bell pepper and
> >> celery) and cooked, chopped giblets.

> > One reason I've never tried making it is because it calls for chicken
> > livers and I know my family wouldn't eat it because of that. I
> > wouldn't object to gizzards and hearts but I don't see those things
> > sold separately around here.
> >
> > This recipe seems authentic
> > http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html
> > This one doesn't seem authentic, but I'd be more likely to eat it
> > http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/dirty_rice/

> Thanks, I would eat the chicken livers but not the giblets/gizzards
> --

I like chicken livers, but my family doesn't. Hubby has to stay away
from liver in general anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:27:15 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 16:55:27 -0600, Janet Bostwick

>> > One reason I've never tried making it is because it calls for chicken
>> > livers and I know my family wouldn't eat it because of that. I
>> > wouldn't object to gizzards and hearts but I don't see those things
>> > sold separately around here.
>> >
>> > This recipe seems authentic
>> > http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html
>> > This one doesn't seem authentic, but I'd be more likely to eat it
>> > http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/dirty_rice/

>> Thanks, I would eat the chicken livers but not the giblets/gizzards
>> --

> I like chicken livers, but my family doesn't. Hubby has to stay away
> from liver in general anyway.

Everyone has their own tastes and needs and that is just how it should be
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:25:36 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I'm not Cajun, but I'll try. Dirty Rice is a dish composed of white
>> rice cooked in a broth with the Cajun Trinity (onion, bell pepper and
>> celery) and cooked, chopped giblets.
>> It's delicious. there are probably variations, and specific
>> seasonings, but that is the general idea.

>Thanks I hadn't heard of it. I expect it tastes much better than its
>name indicates What would you use instead of giblets?
>
>--

It is called Dirty Rice because the finely diced giblets 'dirty' the
whiteness of the rice. I wouldn't use anything but giblets because
then it wouldn't be Dirty Rice.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:25:36 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I'm not Cajun, but I'll try. Dirty Rice is a dish composed of white
>>> rice cooked in a broth with the Cajun Trinity (onion, bell pepper and
>>> celery) and cooked, chopped giblets.
>>> It's delicious. there are probably variations, and specific
>>> seasonings, but that is the general idea.

>>Thanks I hadn't heard of it. I expect it tastes much better than its
>>name indicates What would you use instead of giblets?
>>
>>--

> It is called Dirty Rice because the finely diced giblets 'dirty' the
> whiteness of the rice. I wouldn't use anything but giblets because
> then it wouldn't be Dirty Rice.

OK! Thanks
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 08:04:59 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> It is called Dirty Rice because the finely diced giblets 'dirty' the
> whiteness of the rice. I wouldn't use anything but giblets because
> then it wouldn't be Dirty Rice.

There are so many different cooking times with giblets! Do you
include meat from the neck? How do you get the gizzard soft enough to
eat without an extended cooking time?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Some of the rices are so flavorful. Basmati is my favorite, it has such a good taste. If you think all white rice is boring taste it, Jasmine is also quite good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 08:06:35 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 08:04:59 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> It is called Dirty Rice because the finely diced giblets 'dirty' the
>> whiteness of the rice. I wouldn't use anything but giblets because
>> then it wouldn't be Dirty Rice.

>There are so many different cooking times with giblets! Do you
>include meat from the neck? How do you get the gizzard soft enough to
>eat without an extended cooking time?

I would include the neck if I had it from the chicken. But generally
you can buy cartons of chicken livers and cartons of giblets
separately. The pressure cooker is my friend. Gizzard and heart go
into the PC, Liver is done lightly in butter. The juice from both is
added to the broth. I chop mine really fine because that is the way
that I have been served. Almost like the cooked texture size of
ground beef. You really can't tell what is gizzard, what is liver
when it is done this way. sf, you could see if you have a Popeye's
near you and try some there and see what you think.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

white rice with nothing on it
doesn't seem to taste [that] much different than
brown rice with nothing on it

so, isn't white rice with butter & salt
much different from brown rice with butter salt?

although one has more nutrients

marc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 09:43:13 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> sf, you could see if you have a Popeye's
> near you and try some there and see what you think.

You like their version? I think there is a Popeye's somewhere around
here, but I've never been. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2013 11:43 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 08:06:35 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 08:04:59 -0600, Janet Bostwick
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> It is called Dirty Rice because the finely diced giblets 'dirty' the
>>> whiteness of the rice. I wouldn't use anything but giblets because
>>> then it wouldn't be Dirty Rice.

>> There are so many different cooking times with giblets! Do you
>> include meat from the neck? How do you get the gizzard soft enough to
>> eat without an extended cooking time?

> I would include the neck if I had it from the chicken. But generally
> you can buy cartons of chicken livers and cartons of giblets
> separately. The pressure cooker is my friend. Gizzard and heart go
> into the PC, Liver is done lightly in butter. The juice from both is
> added to the broth. I chop mine really fine because that is the way
> that I have been served. Almost like the cooked texture size of
> ground beef. You really can't tell what is gizzard, what is liver
> when it is done this way. sf, you could see if you have a Popeye's
> near you and try some there and see what you think.
> Janet US

I'd imagine if you don't have a PC you could just simmer the gizzards
with the neck for a long time until tender. I do that for gizzard
turkey gravy at Thanksgiving.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2013 2:16 PM, Cheryl wrote:

> On 4/8/2013 11:43 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>> On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 08:06:35 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>>
>>> There are so many different cooking times with giblets! Do you
>>> include meat from the neck? How do you get the gizzard soft enough to
>>> eat without an extended cooking time?

>> I would include the neck if I had it from the chicken. But generally
>> you can buy cartons of chicken livers and cartons of giblets
>> separately. The pressure cooker is my friend. Gizzard and heart go
>> into the PC, Liver is done lightly in butter. The juice from both is
>> added to the broth. I chop mine really fine because that is the way
>> that I have been served. Almost like the cooked texture size of
>> ground beef. You really can't tell what is gizzard, what is liver
>> when it is done this way. sf, you could see if you have a Popeye's
>> near you and try some there and see what you think.
>> Janet US
>>

> I'd imagine if you don't have a PC you could just simmer the gizzards
> with the neck for a long time until tender. I do that for gizzard
> turkey gravy at Thanksgiving.

Giblets, not gizzards. Oh, I don't eat that part.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/7/2013 4:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>> We rarely ate potatoes or pasta, when I grew up, but we ate a lot of
>> white
>> rice. In Louisiana schools, they served white rice, almost every day, in
>> one form or another; jambalaya, dirty rice, rice & gravy. We had white
>> rice last week, and it was the first time we had it in about year, and I
>> absolutely loved it. I try to stay away from flour, sugar, carbs, so
>> white
>> rice with butter and salt was a real treat. It was what I grew up with.

> Dirty rice! What is that?

Dirty rice tastes pretty good. Not sure how the school made it, but this
is close to my mother's recipe.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/veg/dirty-rice.html

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/7/2013 7:58 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 4/7/2013 8:17 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> The liver and giblets are diced small enough that after cooking it is
>> hard to identify -- I know because my husband eats and enjoys it. I
>> just don't say what's there. I haven't made it in a long, long time.
>> So many recipes and so few meals to try them
>> Janet US

> You're lucky. In my family, you get the 20 questions game whenever a new
> dish is presented.

Know how you feel, Cheryl. It was my secondborn who had all the
questions and comments. I made stuffed cabbage, he picked one up with
his fork, and said it looked like something that came out of an ox's
nose. Everyone else thought it looked great and we enjoyed eating it.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2013 10:06 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 08:04:59 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>> It is called Dirty Rice because the finely diced giblets 'dirty' the
>> whiteness of the rice. I wouldn't use anything but giblets because
>> then it wouldn't be Dirty Rice.

> There are so many different cooking times with giblets! Do you
> include meat from the neck? How do you get the gizzard soft enough to
> eat without an extended cooking time?

Can not speak for Janet, and I have enjoyed her comments, BTW, but you
boil the gizzards, liver and neck, until the gizzards are tender, about
30 minutes. When the meat is cool enough to touch, you cut it into
service size pieces. You use that chicken stock to cook the rice.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 14:28:12 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

>On 4/7/2013 4:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>>> We rarely ate potatoes or pasta, when I grew up, but we ate a lot of
>>> white
>>> rice. In Louisiana schools, they served white rice, almost every day, in
>>> one form or another; jambalaya, dirty rice, rice & gravy. We had white
>>> rice last week, and it was the first time we had it in about year, and I
>>> absolutely loved it. I try to stay away from flour, sugar, carbs, so
>>> white
>>> rice with butter and salt was a real treat. It was what I grew up with.

>> Dirty rice! What is that?

>Dirty rice tastes pretty good. Not sure how the school made it, but this
>is close to my mother's recipe.
>
>http://www.gumbopages.com/food/veg/dirty-rice.html
>
>Becca

Thanks so much for the recipe. I am pleased to have a recipe that I
'know' is authentic )
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2013 4:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Hmm I would like to give it a try, but I would have no idea where to buy
> gizzards! I can buy chicken livers in the smarket but have never seen
> gizzards or even neck The chickens we buy are already dressed. Next
> time I get near a real butcher I will ask.

There's a good one in the Victorian Market in Inverness, next time
you're up that way...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 14:38:52 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> Can not speak for Janet, and I have enjoyed her comments, BTW, but you
> boil the gizzards, liver and neck, until the gizzards are tender, about
> 30 minutes. When the meat is cool enough to touch, you cut it into
> service size pieces. You use that chicken stock to cook the rice.

Thanks! That makes sense to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 21:00:03 +0100, "Ophelia" ku>
wrote:

> > http://www.gumbopages.com/food/veg/dirty-rice.html

> Thank you so much, Becca but it won't open for me

Here's what it says:

DIRTY RICE

This was transcribed verbatim from a hand-written recipe by my late
great-aunt Nettie Zeringue (of da Nint' Ward, and then Da Parish),
with a few annotations.

She passed this on to me when I first moved to California, and it came
in handy when I had to fend for myself to get Louisiana food. Thanks,
Aunt Nettie!

4 teaspoons Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (what Aunt Nettie used);
OR
3 teaspoons Creole seasoning blend, plus
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter
2 cups converted rice
1 cup celery, chopped
2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
4 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 quart water
Chicken livers, gizzards, necks, wings, backs

"If you bought a whole chicken, season and broil the breasts, legs and
thighs to serve as an entree with the rice. If you're making this as a
side dish for something else, then ...
"Put the gizzards, livers, wings, necks, backs, etc., in the water,
bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes. (Skim off any scum
that rises to the surface.) Let cool and remove the meat from the
bones. Finely mince the meat and giblets, then return to the water;
set aside for the moment.

"Melt the butter in a heavy pot, then add rice and fry until brown.
Add onions, garlic, celery, bell pepper and parsley, and fry until
transparent.

"Heat the chicken and broth again, and add to the rice. The water
should be about one inch above the rice; if needed add extra water.

"Add seasoning, bring to a boil and cook until the water has almost
evaporated and is just bubbling on top of the rice. Stir to prevent
sticking. Cover and cook over low heat for about 25 minutes. Remove
from heat and let rice set for about 10 minutes. When ready to serve,
stir rice well.

"Very tasty," said Aunt Nettie.

She added, "If you would like to make jambalaya, you can use this
dirty rice recipe except for the giblets. I put whatever I want,
sometimes shrimp, smoked sausage, ham, or whatever. The shrimp
jambalaya is the best."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 21:00:03 +0100, "Ophelia" ku>
> wrote:
>
>> > http://www.gumbopages.com/food/veg/dirty-rice.html

>> Thank you so much, Becca but it won't open for me

> Here's what it says:
>
> DIRTY RICE

That was very kind of you, sf, thank you!!! It has been saved))
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 4/8/2013 4:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> Hmm I would like to give it a try, but I would have no idea where to buy
>> gizzards! I can buy chicken livers in the smarket but have never seen
>> gizzards or even neck The chickens we buy are already dressed. Next
>> time I get near a real butcher I will ask.
>>

> There's a good one in the Victorian Market in Inverness, next time you're
> up that way...

Thanks, Shelia. The opportunities to go up these days are practically nil
but it has been noted
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2013 4:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister" > wrote
>> On 4/8/2013 4:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm I would like to give it a try, but I would have no idea where to buy
>>> gizzards! I can buy chicken livers in the smarket but have never seen
>>> gizzards or even neck The chickens we buy are already dressed. Next
>>> time I get near a real butcher I will ask.
>>>

>> There's a good one in the Victorian Market in Inverness, next time you're
>> up that way...

> Thanks, Shelia. The opportunities to go up these days are practically nil
> but it has been noted

If you do find yourselves in the north, there's also an excellent
butcher in Bonar Bridge - our local Post Office carries a small
selection of their output.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 4/9/2013 4:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> There's a good one in the Victorian Market in Inverness, next time
>>> you're
>>> up that way...

>> Thanks, Shelia. The opportunities to go up these days are practically
>> nil
>> but it has been noted

> If you do find yourselves in the north, there's also an excellent butcher
> in Bonar Bridge - our local Post Office carries a small selection of their
> output.

Noted Thanks again, Sheila! All our travel is south these days and I am
craving a decent trip up north. Heck we haven't even managed to get up to
the
cottage in a long time

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2013 3:00 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>> Dirty rice tastes pretty good. Not sure how the school made it, but
>> this is close to my mother's recipe.
>>
>> http://www.gumbopages.com/food/veg/dirty-rice.html

> Thank you so much, Becca but it won't open for me

No problem, here is the recipe. Someone else posted it, but here it is
in case you missed that one.

Becca

[...]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 4/8/2013 3:00 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>>> Dirty rice tastes pretty good. Not sure how the school made it, but
>>> this is close to my mother's recipe.
>>>
>>> http://www.gumbopages.com/food/veg/dirty-rice.html

>> Thank you so much, Becca but it won't open for me

> No problem, here is the recipe. Someone else posted it, but here it is in
> case you missed that one.
>
> Becca
>

> DIRTY RICE

Thanks, very much Becca! You are very kind)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/