Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default LED light bulbs-a report.

LED bulbs are promoted to replace incandescent and CFL bulbs and they
may be cost effective but the brightest ones you see are said to replace
75W incandescents, which might sound good but is a most unusual size. In
my house, I had many 60W and 100W standard lamps but LED replacements
for 100W are hard to find and expensive. To add insult to injury, sales
of 100W incandescent bulbs are now forbidden.

It seems inevitable that LED's should be expensive since the diodes run
on DC and bulbs must incorporate converters. There are exactly four
places in the house where I had 60W bulbs and I have bought replacement
LED's for three of them when there were special sales but the three
LED's cost a total of $50. Two of these are in enclosed fixtures where
CFL's get hot and have proved not to last well. None of the LED
replacements have blown in six months so far.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> LED bulbs are promoted to replace incandescent and CFL bulbs and they
> may be cost effective but the brightest ones you see are said to replace
> 75W incandescents, which might sound good but is a most unusual size. In
> my house, I had many 60W and 100W standard lamps but LED replacements
> for 100W are hard to find and expensive. To add insult to injury, sales
> of 100W incandescent bulbs are now forbidden.
>
> It seems inevitable that LED's should be expensive since the diodes run
> on DC and bulbs must incorporate converters. There are exactly four
> places in the house where I had 60W bulbs and I have bought replacement
> LED's for three of them when there were special sales but the three
> LED's cost a total of $50. Two of these are in enclosed fixtures where
> CFL's get hot and have proved not to last well. None of the LED
> replacements have blown in six months so far.
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

I've been running a dozen or so LG 40W equiv LED lamps here for a year
or so now. They are all performing beautifully and based on rated life
expectancy I should have to replace them starting around 2030 or so.
They were about $9 ea in two packs at Costco.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> LED bulbs are promoted to replace incandescent and CFL bulbs and they may
> be cost effective but the brightest ones you see are said to replace 75W
> incandescents, which might sound good but is a most unusual size. In my
> house, I had many 60W and 100W standard lamps but LED replacements for
> 100W are hard to find and expensive. To add insult to injury, sales of
> 100W incandescent bulbs are now forbidden.
>
> It seems inevitable that LED's should be expensive since the diodes run on
> DC and bulbs must incorporate converters. There are exactly four places in
> the house where I had 60W bulbs and I have bought replacement LED's for
> three of them when there were special sales but the three LED's cost a
> total of $50. Two of these are in enclosed fixtures where CFL's get hot
> and have proved not to last well. None of the LED replacements have blown
> in six months so far.
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

I'd like to replace some of my incandescents (they're still legal here) with
LEDs but the timer switches that I use wouldn't work as the power drain is
too low. CFLs would blow the switches.
So I'm stuck with incandescents.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 26, 9:24*pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:
>
> > LED bulbs are promoted to replace incandescent and CFL bulbs and they
> > may be cost effective but the brightest ones you see are said to replace
> > 75W incandescents, which might sound good but is a most unusual size. In
> > my house, I had many 60W and 100W standard lamps but LED replacements
> > for 100W are hard to find and expensive. To add insult to injury, sales
> > of 100W incandescent bulbs are now forbidden.

> > It seems inevitable that LED's should be expensive since the diodes run
> > on DC and bulbs must incorporate converters. There are exactly four
> > places in the house where I had 60W bulbs and I have bought replacement
> > LED's for three of them when there were special sales but the three
> > LED's cost a total of $50. Two of these are in enclosed fixtures where
> > CFL's get hot and have proved not to last well. None of the LED
> > replacements have blown in six months so far.
> > --
> > Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

> > Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

> I've been running a dozen or so LG 40W equiv LED lamps here for a year
> or so now. They are all performing beautifully and based on rated life
> expectancy I should have to replace them starting around 2030 or so.
> They were about $9 ea in two packs at Costco.

The only place I have 40W bulbs is in appliances...inside the oven,
inside the fridge, and inside the overhead fan above the stovetop.
Where do you use a dozen? I would never read by a 40W bulb....I use a
three-way 50-100-150 for reading.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> LED bulbs are promoted to replace incandescent and CFL bulbs and they may
> be cost effective but the brightest ones you see are said to replace 75W
> incandescents, which might sound good but is a most unusual size. In my
> house, I had many 60W and 100W standard lamps but LED replacements for
> 100W are hard to find and expensive. To add insult to injury, sales of
> 100W incandescent bulbs are now forbidden.
>
> It seems inevitable that LED's should be expensive since the diodes run on
> DC and bulbs must incorporate converters. There are exactly four places in
> the house where I had 60W bulbs and I have bought replacement LED's for
> three of them when there were special sales but the three LED's cost a
> total of $50. Two of these are in enclosed fixtures where CFL's get hot
> and have proved not to last well. None of the LED replacements have blown
> in six months so far.
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

I do not mind them for some things and they are getting better. The first
ones I got were Christmas lights and they drove me nuts. When I looked at
them they made my eyes seem all blurry or something. The newer ones do not
do this. I also had issues with the first LED flashlights I tried. They
seemed to case a bit of distortion or something.

These days I don't mind them in a flashlight or battery operated lamp but I
wouldn't want to use them in my regular lamps and light fixtures.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/26/2013 10:45 PM, graham wrote:

> I'd like to replace some of my incandescents (they're still legal here) with
> LEDs but the timer switches that I use wouldn't work as the power drain is
> too low. CFLs would blow the switches.
> So I'm stuck with incandescents.

I bought a dimmer switch for my dining room chandelier recently and my
brother, who installed it for me, was surprised to see it would work
with halogen bulbs. My kitchen fan light fixtures also support halogen
and they have two settings, night and bright. The manual said to only
use halogen.

I know that isn't what you're talking about, but your post made me think
of that.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 21:38:58 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>LED bulbs are promoted to replace incandescent and CFL bulbs and they
>may be cost effective but the brightest ones you see are said to replace
>75W incandescents, which might sound good but is a most unusual size. In
>my house, I had many 60W and 100W standard lamps but LED replacements
>for 100W are hard to find and expensive. To add insult to injury, sales
>of 100W incandescent bulbs are now forbidden.
>
>It seems inevitable that LED's should be expensive since the diodes run
>on DC and bulbs must incorporate converters. There are exactly four
>places in the house where I had 60W bulbs and I have bought replacement
>LED's for three of them when there were special sales but the three
>LED's cost a total of $50. Two of these are in enclosed fixtures where
>CFL's get hot and have proved not to last well. None of the LED
>replacements have blown in six months so far.

I'm pretty pleased with the LED lights in my house. At night I usually
run only 3 LED lights, which use less than 15W for all three. They
provide just enough ambient light throught the house.

I never did like those CFLs, I've had a few break on me, which is just
wonderful given all the toxins contained within. I also can often hear
a high-pitched noise emanating from CFLs which drives me crazy.
LEDs on the other hand at least don't have either problem to my
knowledge.
--
I wanna go like my grandfather... in his sleep. Not like the screaming passengers in his car!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 20:18:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I do not mind them for some things and they are getting better.

They sure are better...

My first LED 'night light' (plugs into a power socket, turns on when
dark) was SO dim, you couldn't see anything even a couple of inches
from the light... They're certainly light-years* ahead now.

*pun possibly intentional.

--
I wanna go like my grandfather... in his sleep. Not like the screaming passengers in his car!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~
I also have some lamps and ceiling fixtures where the LED bulbs (any size
that I have seen so far) simply will not fit. It will cost a fortune to
replace all of them if it comes to that. I have seen one type that claims
to "look like" incandescents, but they have a thick collar that will not fit
in these fixtures.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 00:02:01 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 3/26/2013 10:45 PM, graham wrote:
>
> > I'd like to replace some of my incandescents (they're still legal here) with
> > LEDs but the timer switches that I use wouldn't work as the power drain is
> > too low. CFLs would blow the switches.
> > So I'm stuck with incandescents.

> I bought a dimmer switch for my dining room chandelier recently and my
> brother, who installed it for me, was surprised to see it would work
> with halogen bulbs. My kitchen fan light fixtures also support halogen
> and they have two settings, night and bright. The manual said to only
> use halogen.

I wanted my over the sink halogen light on a dimmer switch, but it
made noise when it was dimmed - so it's just a regular on/off now.

We just replaced an incandescent bulb in an older uplight that's on a
not so new timer with a CFL that's supposed to burn like a 100 watt
but use only 25. The timer is working properly, but only time will
tell how long things last.

> I know that isn't what you're talking about, but your post made me think
> of that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 20:18:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> These days I don't mind them in a flashlight or battery operated lamp but I
> wouldn't want to use them in my regular lamps and light fixtures.

I have LED over the sink and for under counter lighting. The only
part I don't like is how expensive they are to replace.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> LED bulbs are promoted to replace incandescent and CFL bulbs and they
> may be cost effective but the brightest ones you see are said to
> replace 75W incandescents, which might sound good but is a most
> unusual size. In my house, I had many 60W and 100W standard lamps but
> LED replacements for 100W are hard to find and expensive. To add
> insult to injury, sales of 100W incandescent bulbs are now forbidden.

The same damn thing which happened here in Italy, LED and low consumption
bulbs are all equivalents of those strange measures: 32, 75 and another one
between them that I can't recall now.
My kitchen is now 25% brighter than before after I put a low consumption 75
watt equivalent bulb in place of the old 60 w bulb
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/26/2013 11:00 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Mar 26, 9:24 pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
>> James Silverton wrote:
>>
>>> LED bulbs are promoted to replace incandescent and CFL bulbs and they
>>> may be cost effective but the brightest ones you see are said to replace
>>> 75W incandescents, which might sound good but is a most unusual size. In
>>> my house, I had many 60W and 100W standard lamps but LED replacements
>>> for 100W are hard to find and expensive. To add insult to injury, sales
>>> of 100W incandescent bulbs are now forbidden.

>>> It seems inevitable that LED's should be expensive since the diodes run
>>> on DC and bulbs must incorporate converters. There are exactly four
>>> places in the house where I had 60W bulbs and I have bought replacement
>>> LED's for three of them when there were special sales but the three
>>> LED's cost a total of $50. Two of these are in enclosed fixtures where
>>> CFL's get hot and have proved not to last well. None of the LED
>>> replacements have blown in six months so far.
>>> --
>>> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

>>> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

>> I've been running a dozen or so LG 40W equiv LED lamps here for a year
>> or so now. They are all performing beautifully and based on rated life
>> expectancy I should have to replace them starting around 2030 or so.
>> They were about $9 ea in two packs at Costco.

> The only place I have 40W bulbs is in appliances...inside the oven,
> inside the fridge, and inside the overhead fan above the stovetop.
> Where do you use a dozen? I would never read by a 40W bulb....I use a
> three-way 50-100-150 for reading.
>
> N.

I have a 40W, floor-standing, reading lamp whose reflector directs the
light to the book and it is entirely bright enough but a 40W lamp
without a reflector would be quite useless.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2013 12:02 AM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 3/26/2013 10:45 PM, graham wrote:
>
>> I'd like to replace some of my incandescents (they're still legal
>> here) with
>> LEDs but the timer switches that I use wouldn't work as the power
>> drain is
>> too low. CFLs would blow the switches.
>> So I'm stuck with incandescents.

> I bought a dimmer switch for my dining room chandelier recently and my
> brother, who installed it for me, was surprised to see it would work
> with halogen bulbs. My kitchen fan light fixtures also support halogen
> and they have two settings, night and bright. The manual said to only
> use halogen.
>
> I know that isn't what you're talking about, but your post made me think
> of that.

If you have a dimmer of ten or so year's age *on the same circuit* as a
CFL, the signal from it will kill the fluorescent bulb very quickly.
There *are* dimmers made for CFL's.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2013 12:13 AM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 21:38:58 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> LED bulbs are promoted to replace incandescent and CFL bulbs and they
>> may be cost effective but the brightest ones you see are said to replace
>> 75W incandescents, which might sound good but is a most unusual size. In
>> my house, I had many 60W and 100W standard lamps but LED replacements
>> for 100W are hard to find and expensive. To add insult to injury, sales
>> of 100W incandescent bulbs are now forbidden.
>>
>> It seems inevitable that LED's should be expensive since the diodes run
>> on DC and bulbs must incorporate converters. There are exactly four
>> places in the house where I had 60W bulbs and I have bought replacement
>> LED's for three of them when there were special sales but the three
>> LED's cost a total of $50. Two of these are in enclosed fixtures where
>> CFL's get hot and have proved not to last well. None of the LED
>> replacements have blown in six months so far.

> I'm pretty pleased with the LED lights in my house. At night I usually
> run only 3 LED lights, which use less than 15W for all three. They
> provide just enough ambient light throught the house.
>
> I never did like those CFLs, I've had a few break on me, which is just
> wonderful given all the toxins contained within. I also can often hear
> a high-pitched noise emanating from CFLs which drives me crazy.
> LEDs on the other hand at least don't have either problem to my
> knowledge.
> --
> I wanna go like my grandfather... in his sleep. Not like the screaming passengers in his car!

I can't say I've heard noises from CFL's but stores like Home Depot will
accept blown CFL's for disposal. The problem is the small amount of
mercury in the bulbs and it does not escape unless you physically smash
the bulb.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2013 6:07 AM, wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 21:38:58 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> LED bulbs are promoted to replace incandescent and CFL bulbs and they
>> may be cost effective but the brightest ones you see are said to replace
>> 75W incandescents, which might sound good but is a most unusual size. In
>> my house, I had many 60W and 100W standard lamps but LED replacements
>> for 100W are hard to find and expensive. To add insult to injury, sales
>> of 100W incandescent bulbs are now forbidden.
>>
>> It seems inevitable that LED's should be expensive since the diodes run
>> on DC and bulbs must incorporate converters. There are exactly four
>> places in the house where I had 60W bulbs and I have bought replacement
>> LED's for three of them when there were special sales but the three
>> LED's cost a total of $50. Two of these are in enclosed fixtures where
>> CFL's get hot and have proved not to last well. None of the LED
>> replacements have blown in six months so far.

> i changed to CFLs (but then there is the question of mercury in the
> disposal) but found i hated the way they distorted colours so switched
> again to LEDs.
>
> I like LEDs far better than incandescent or CFLs, though halogen is my
> first pick. My LEDs I bought on ebay, half the price of local
> stores, a case of China marketing direct to me.

CFL's come in different color types. By accident, I have two different
ones side by side in my bathroom and the bluish and pinkish colors are
quite noticeable,

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 2:52*am, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 20:18:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>
> > wrote:
> > These days I don't mind them in a flashlight or battery operated lamp but I
> > wouldn't want to use them in my regular lamps and light fixtures.

> I have LED over the sink and for under counter lighting. *The only
> part I don't like is how expensive they are to replace.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

You should never need to replace them if they are correctly installed.

http://www.richardisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2013 8:26 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Mar 27, 2:52 am, sf > wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 20:18:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> These days I don't mind them in a flashlight or battery operated lamp but I
>>> wouldn't want to use them in my regular lamps and light fixtures.

>> I have LED over the sink and for under counter lighting. The only
>> part I don't like is how expensive they are to replace.
>>
>> --
>> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> You should never need to replace them if they are correctly installed.
>
> http://www.richardisher.com

Oh, I aim to live long enough; nine years or so, I think.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 12:29*am, "MaryL" > wrote:
> "James Silverton" *wrote in ...
>
> LED bulbs are promoted to replace incandescent and CFL bulbs and they
> may be cost effective but the brightest ones you see are said to replace
> 75W incandescents, which might sound good but is a most unusual size. In
> my house, I had many 60W and 100W standard lamps but LED replacements
> for 100W are hard to find and expensive. To add insult to injury, sales
> of 100W incandescent bulbs are now forbidden.
>
> It seems inevitable that LED's should be expensive since the diodes run
> on DC and bulbs must incorporate converters. There are exactly four
> places in the house where I had 60W bulbs and I have bought replacement
> LED's for three of them when there were special sales but the three
> LED's cost a total of $50. Two of these are in enclosed fixtures where
> CFL's get hot and have proved not to last well. None of the LED
> replacements have blown in six months so far.
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~
> I also have some lamps and ceiling fixtures where the LED bulbs (any size
> that I have seen so far) simply will not fit. *It will cost a fortune to
> replace all of them if it comes to that. *I have seen one type that claims
> to "look like" incandescents, but they have a thick collar that will not fit
> in these fixtures.
>
> MaryL

I have CFLs in one of my bathrooms, and they are enclosed within
decorative globes which are required for the fixture. They work very
nicely and are totally silent when they are on.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2013 9:46 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 3/27/2013 6:07 AM, wrote:
>
>> i changed to CFLs (but then there is the question of mercury in the
>> disposal) but found i hated the way they distorted colours so switched
>> again to LEDs.

> I was wondering if anyone would mention the quality of light.
>
> My white LED Christmas tree lights are pretty to look at, but
> cast a rather ghastly grey glow. My LED book light washes out
> pencil writing (I use it for puzzles).
>
> I'm not switching until I know they've fixed that issue.
>
> nancy

I don't mind switching if the lighting is actually better somehow.
Energy efficiency is a good thing. But not if you have to pay out the
nose when one burns out.

And those twirly looking bulbs? They work fine for regular lamps. But
I'd have to buy a new desk lamp. The lampshade has two wires that
"grab" the round light bulb; that's what holds the shade in place rather
than a finial. Oh, sure they make them in a regular lightbulb shape.
But $16+ for one friggin light bulb? Ridiculous!

http://tinyurl.com/blm8azt

I'm not at all convinced LED's last longer, either. About 3 years ago I
replaced the overhead fluorescent light fixture in the kitchen. That
meant switching to the new LED tubes. Now it's not like I leave the
lights on in the kitchen for hours on end. But I've had to replace all
four bulbs twice over. Most recent was last fall and one of the LED
bulbs has already burned out. They may be more energy efficient but
they aren't very efficient on the pocketbook.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2013 8:37 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 3/27/2013 8:26 AM, Helpful person wrote:
>> On Mar 27, 2:52 am, sf > wrote:
>>> On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 20:18:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> I have LED over the sink and for under counter lighting. The only
>>> part I don't like is how expensive they are to replace.
>>>

>> You should never need to replace them if they are correctly installed.
>>

> Oh, I aim to live long enough; nine years or so, I think.

Go for ten

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2013 10:18 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/27/2013 9:46 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 3/27/2013 6:07 AM, wrote:
>>
>>> i changed to CFLs (but then there is the question of mercury in the
>>> disposal) but found i hated the way they distorted colours so switched
>>> again to LEDs.

>> I was wondering if anyone would mention the quality of light.
>>
>> My white LED Christmas tree lights are pretty to look at, but
>> cast a rather ghastly grey glow. My LED book light washes out
>> pencil writing (I use it for puzzles).
>>
>> I'm not switching until I know they've fixed that issue.
>>
>> nancy

> I don't mind switching if the lighting is actually better somehow.
> Energy efficiency is a good thing. But not if you have to pay out the
> nose when one burns out.
>
> And those twirly looking bulbs? They work fine for regular lamps. But
> I'd have to buy a new desk lamp. The lampshade has two wires that
> "grab" the round light bulb; that's what holds the shade in place rather
> than a finial. Oh, sure they make them in a regular lightbulb shape.
> But $16+ for one friggin light bulb? Ridiculous!

http://tinyurl.com/blm8azt

> I'm not at all convinced LED's last longer, either. About 3 years ago I
> replaced the overhead fluorescent light fixture in the kitchen. That
> meant switching to the new LED tubes. Now it's not like I leave the
> lights on in the kitchen for hours on end. But I've had to replace all
> four bulbs twice over. Most recent was last fall and one of the LED
> bulbs has already burned out. They may be more energy efficient but
> they aren't very efficient on the pocketbook.
>
> Jill

As I have mentioned, there are problems with CFL's overheating in
totally enclosed fixtures. I have no evidence on LED's; my enclosed ones
are still doing well.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/26/2013 8:38 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> LED bulbs are promoted to replace incandescent and CFL bulbs and they
> may be cost effective but the brightest ones you see are said to
> replace 75W incandescents, which might sound good but is a most
> unusual size.In my house, I had many 60W and 100W standard lamps but
> LED replacements for 100W are hard to find and expensive. To add
> insult to injury, sales of 100W incandescent bulbs are now forbidden.

IIRC, there's been a postponement of the 100W incandescent sales ban
in the US.

Also, wattage equivalents aren't the best way to shop for
replacements, since it is only an indication of power consumption, not
light emission. Light output is measured in lumens, and there's no
watt : lumen standard with light bulbs. Brand A's 60 watt incandescent
may have a lower lumen rating than Brand B's 60 watt incandescent. You
can even find 60W bulbs whose light output is pretty close to another
brand's 75W. So check the packages for the lumens listed and choose
accordingly.

Color temperature is another factor we're going to have to start using
when selecting bulbs. Incandescent bulbs tend to emit a warmer,
yellower light (approx. 2700 - 3000 Kelvins) than the bluish-white
light typically emitted by CFLs or LEDs (approx. 5000 - 7000 Kelvins).
However, some of those bulbs have been designed to emit light in the
warmer color range, so if you want to replicate the look of
incandescent light, check the color rating on the package and see if
it falls within the warm white range.

> It seems inevitable that LED's should be expensive since the diodes
> run on DC and bulbs must incorporate converters.

The quality and options in home LED lighting have made great gains in
just the past year or so, while the prices are starting to
significantly drop. So we're close to the tipping point where LEDs
will surpass CFLs as the affordable replacement bulb of choice, and
soon LED bulbs will be available with 100W equivalent or higher output.

Just last week the latest and best incandescent-replacement LED bulbs
hit the market: Cree 40W and 60W equivalent bulbs. Currently available
only from Home Depot, they range in price from $9.97 - $13.97 each,
and in warm white or cool white light output. They're also designed to
mimic the appearance of a conventional incandescent bulb, making them
an aesthetically suitable replacement as well as a very cost-effective
one.
Cree has a reputation for producing outstanding quality LED flashlight
bulbs, and this is their first foray into the residential lighting
market. Bonus: they're made in the USA, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2013 11:00 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

> Just last week the latest and best incandescent-replacement LED bulbs
> hit the market: Cree 40W and 60W equivalent bulbs. Currently available
> only from Home Depot, they range in price from $9.97 - $13.97 each, and
> in warm white or cool white light output. They're also designed to mimic
> the appearance of a conventional incandescent bulb, making them an
> aesthetically suitable replacement as well as a very cost-effective one.
> Cree has a reputation for producing outstanding quality LED flashlight
> bulbs, and this is their first foray into the residential lighting
> market. Bonus: they're made in the USA, too.

Thanks very much for all this info.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2013 10:24 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 3/27/2013 10:18 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I was wondering if anyone would mention the quality of light.
>>>
>>> My white LED Christmas tree lights are pretty to look at, but
>>> cast a rather ghastly grey glow. My LED book light washes out
>>> pencil writing (I use it for puzzles).
>>>
>>> I'm not switching until I know they've fixed that issue.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> I don't mind switching if the lighting is actually better somehow.
>> Energy efficiency is a good thing. But not if you have to pay out the
>> nose when one burns out.
>>
>> And those twirly looking bulbs? They work fine for regular lamps. But
>> I'd have to buy a new desk lamp. The lampshade has two wires that
>> "grab" the round light bulb; that's what holds the shade in place rather
>> than a finial. Oh, sure they make them in a regular lightbulb shape.
>> But $16+ for one friggin light bulb? Ridiculous!

http://tinyurl.com/blm8azt

>> I'm not at all convinced LED's last longer, either. About 3 years ago I
>> replaced the overhead fluorescent light fixture in the kitchen. That
>> meant switching to the new LED tubes. Now it's not like I leave the
>> lights on in the kitchen for hours on end. But I've had to replace all
>> four bulbs twice over. Most recent was last fall and one of the LED
>> bulbs has already burned out. They may be more energy efficient but
>> they aren't very efficient on the pocketbook.
>>
>> Jill

> As I have mentioned, there are problems with CFL's overheating in
> totally enclosed fixtures. I have no evidence on LED's; my enclosed ones
> are still doing well.

Edison must be rolling in his grave! What am I supposed to do when I
run out of regular bulbs? I have a circa 1956 Japanese lady tall table
lamp. The socket for the bulb is surrounded by a deep glass shade which
points upwards. On top of the glass surround sits a big round lamp
shade; the ring of metal fits on the glass. The outer shade is stiff linen.

It appears the linen shade is optional. Very odd design, but then I'm
not all that familiar with 1950's decor except from old television
shows. Anyway, it appears one of those CFL's would not work in this
vintage lamp. But that lamp has a lot of sentimental value. I'm not
about to get rid of it because of some screwy <G> lightbulbs.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Helpful person > wrote:
> On Mar 27, 2:52 am, sf > wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 20:18:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> These days I don't mind them in a flashlight or battery operated lamp but I
>>> wouldn't want to use them in my regular lamps and light fixtures.

>> I have LED over the sink and for under counter lighting. The only
>> part I don't like is how expensive they are to replace.
>>
>> --
>> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> You should never need to replace them if they are correctly installed.
>
> http://www.richardisher.com

Most always, LEDs are not driven conservatively, and will not last near as
long as stated. Heat kills them. If the aluminum sink is warm, the actual
led will be much hotter.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote:
> On 3/27/2013 10:18 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I was wondering if anyone would mention the quality of light.
>>>
>>> My white LED Christmas tree lights are pretty to look at, but
>>> cast a rather ghastly grey glow. My LED book light washes out
>>> pencil writing (I use it for puzzles).
>>>
>>> I'm not switching until I know they've fixed that issue.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> I don't mind switching if the lighting is actually better somehow.
>> Energy efficiency is a good thing. But not if you have to pay out the
>> nose when one burns out.
>>
>> And those twirly looking bulbs? They work fine for regular lamps. But
>> I'd have to buy a new desk lamp. The lampshade has two wires that
>> "grab" the round light bulb; that's what holds the shade in place rather
>> than a finial. Oh, sure they make them in a regular lightbulb shape.
>> But $16+ for one friggin light bulb? Ridiculous!

http://tinyurl.com/blm8azt

>> I'm not at all convinced LED's last longer, either. About 3 years ago I
>> replaced the overhead fluorescent light fixture in the kitchen. That
>> meant switching to the new LED tubes. Now it's not like I leave the
>> lights on in the kitchen for hours on end. But I've had to replace all
>> four bulbs twice over. Most recent was last fall and one of the LED
>> bulbs has already burned out. They may be more energy efficient but
>> they aren't very efficient on the pocketbook.
>>
>> Jill

> As I have mentioned, there are problems with CFL's overheating in totally
> enclosed fixtures. I have no evidence on LED's; my enclosed ones are still doing well.

There CAN be problems in enclosed fixtures, but not always. I ran them full
time in outside fixtures, even in the summer sun, way hot. They lasted full
stated hours, or about a year and a half. 24/7

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 05:26:24 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2:52*am, sf > wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 20:18:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > These days I don't mind them in a flashlight or battery operated lamp but I
> > > wouldn't want to use them in my regular lamps and light fixtures.

> > I have LED over the sink and for under counter lighting. *The only
> > part I don't like is how expensive they are to replace.
> >
> > --
> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> You should never need to replace them if they are correctly installed.

It's a unit with 5 LED lights and I expect them to burn out one by
one, just as they do in flashlights. I was wrong about the under
counter lights though. They're halogen... and expensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:37:50 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 3/27/2013 8:26 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> > On Mar 27, 2:52 am, sf > wrote:
> >> On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 20:18:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >> I have LED over the sink and for under counter lighting. The only
> >> part I don't like is how expensive they are to replace.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> > You should never need to replace them if they are correctly installed.
> >
> > http://www.richardisher.com
> >

> Oh, I aim to live long enough; nine years or so, I think.

When I see statements like his, my first thought is: that person must
not stay in the same place very long. I've been in this house well
over 30 years and plan to be here at least 20 more. Things wear out,
including me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 20:18:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> > These days I don't mind them in a flashlight or battery operated lamp but I
> > wouldn't want to use them in my regular lamps and light fixtures.

> I have LED over the sink and for under counter lighting. The only
> part I don't like is how expensive they are to replace.

Except they aren't expensive to replace. $10 or so for 30,000 hours+ of
life vs. the incandescents or CFLs works out to be the same or less cost
per hour. If you count your time replacing multiples of the
incandescents or CFLs to one LED then you're way ahead.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/03/2013 12:39 PM, sf wrote:

>> Oh, I aim to live long enough; nine years or so, I think.

> When I see statements like his, my first thought is: that person must
> not stay in the same place very long. I've been in this house well
> over 30 years and plan to be here at least 20 more. Things wear out,
> including me.

I don't miss the early years when we used to move almost every year. We
moved into this place 35 years ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MaryL wrote:

> "James Silverton" wrote in message ...
>
> LED bulbs are promoted to replace incandescent and CFL bulbs and they
> may be cost effective but the brightest ones you see are said to replace
> 75W incandescents, which might sound good but is a most unusual size. In
> my house, I had many 60W and 100W standard lamps but LED replacements
> for 100W are hard to find and expensive. To add insult to injury, sales
> of 100W incandescent bulbs are now forbidden.
>
> It seems inevitable that LED's should be expensive since the diodes run
> on DC and bulbs must incorporate converters. There are exactly four
> places in the house where I had 60W bulbs and I have bought replacement
> LED's for three of them when there were special sales but the three
> LED's cost a total of $50. Two of these are in enclosed fixtures where
> CFL's get hot and have proved not to last well. None of the LED
> replacements have blown in six months so far.
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~
> I also have some lamps and ceiling fixtures where the LED bulbs (any size
> that I have seen so far) simply will not fit. It will cost a fortune to
> replace all of them if it comes to that. I have seen one type that claims
> to "look like" incandescents, but they have a thick collar that will not fit
> in these fixtures.
>
> MaryL

The LG LED lamps I've been using are standard "A" size so they should
fit any fixture that uses a standard "A" type incandescent. They also
have sizes to replace the "R" type reflector lamps used in many recessed
fixtures.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> CFL's come in different color types. By accident, I have two different
> ones side by side in my bathroom and the bluish and pinkish colors are
> quite noticeable,

The same is true for LED lamps as well as halogen and incandescent. I
always recommend that people ensure that they replace all the lamps in a
given area with the same type of source and color temperature
specification, otherwise they will frequently complain about how
different the lights are.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> On 3/26/2013 8:38 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>> LED bulbs are promoted to replace incandescent and CFL bulbs and they
>> may be cost effective but the brightest ones you see are said to
>> replace 75W incandescents, which might sound good but is a most
>> unusual size.In my house, I had many 60W and 100W standard lamps but
>> LED replacements for 100W are hard to find and expensive. To add
>> insult to injury, sales of 100W incandescent bulbs are now forbidden.

> IIRC, there's been a postponement of the 100W incandescent sales ban in
> the US.
>
> Also, wattage equivalents aren't the best way to shop for replacements,
> since it is only an indication of power consumption, not light emission.
> Light output is measured in lumens, and there's no watt : lumen standard
> with light bulbs. Brand A's 60 watt incandescent may have a lower lumen
> rating than Brand B's 60 watt incandescent. You can even find 60W bulbs
> whose light output is pretty close to another brand's 75W. So check the
> packages for the lumens listed and choose accordingly.

That's correct.

> Color temperature is another factor we're going to have to start using
> when selecting bulbs. Incandescent bulbs tend to emit a warmer, yellower
> light (approx. 2700 - 3000 Kelvins) than the bluish-white light
> typically emitted by CFLs or LEDs (approx. 5000 - 7000 Kelvins).
> However, some of those bulbs have been designed to emit light in the
> warmer color range, so if you want to replicate the look of incandescent
> light, check the color rating on the package and see if it falls within
> the warm white range.

That's outdated info.
We've developed LEDs where you can tune the color temperature.
We sell them faster than we can produce them ;-)

>> It seems inevitable that LED's should be expensive since the diodes
>> run on DC and bulbs must incorporate converters.

> The quality and options in home LED lighting have made great gains in
> just the past year or so, while the prices are starting to significantly
> drop. So we're close to the tipping point where LEDs will surpass CFLs
> as the affordable replacement bulb of choice, and soon LED bulbs will be
> available with 100W equivalent or higher output.
>
> Just last week the latest and best incandescent-replacement LED bulbs
> hit the market: Cree 40W and 60W equivalent bulbs. Currently available
> only from Home Depot, they range in price from $9.97 - $13.97 each, and
> in warm white or cool white light output. They're also designed to mimic
> the appearance of a conventional incandescent bulb, making them an
> aesthetically suitable replacement as well as a very cost-effective one.
> Cree has a reputation for producing outstanding quality LED flashlight
> bulbs, and this is their first foray into the residential lighting
> market. Bonus: they're made in the USA, too.

A word of caution : Check your wiring.
LEDs don't like spikes or surges.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:42:20 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 3/27/2013 11:00 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>
> > Just last week the latest and best incandescent-replacement LED bulbs
> > hit the market: Cree 40W and 60W equivalent bulbs. Currently available
> > only from Home Depot, they range in price from $9.97 - $13.97 each, and
> > in warm white or cool white light output. They're also designed to mimic
> > the appearance of a conventional incandescent bulb, making them an
> > aesthetically suitable replacement as well as a very cost-effective one.
> > Cree has a reputation for producing outstanding quality LED flashlight
> > bulbs, and this is their first foray into the residential lighting
> > market. Bonus: they're made in the USA, too.

> Thanks very much for all this info.

Ditto.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2013 1:01 PM, Pete C. wrote:

> James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> CFL's come in different color types. By accident, I have two different
>> ones side by side in my bathroom and the bluish and pinkish colors are
>> quite noticeable,

> The same is true for LED lamps as well as halogen and incandescent. I
> always recommend that people ensure that they replace all the lamps in a
> given area with the same type of source and color temperature
> specification, otherwise they will frequently complain about how
> different the lights are.

It only seems strange if I look directly at the lamp cover; the actual
light in the bathroom is quite pleasant. It wouldn't be too much of a
job to replace one of the bulbs but I don't see much point in it.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
>lucretiaborgia wrote:
>
>> i changed to CFLs (but then there is the question of mercury in the
>> disposal) but found i hated the way they distorted colours so switched
>> again to LEDs.

>I was wondering if anyone would mention the quality of light.
>
>My white LED Christmas tree lights are pretty to look at, but
>cast a rather ghastly grey glow. My LED book light washes out
>pencil writing (I use it for puzzles).
>
>I'm not switching until I know they've fixed that issue.

I tried two LEDs, they're much too harsh as a task light, they are
more of a spot light, not good to light up a room... I also have a
small LED flashlight, it's fine for that. I'm using a few CFLs; in a
bedside lamp (not for reading), in the fixture over a bathroom sink
(four 20W under a frosted glass shade) but it's enough light because
there's an overhead ceiling fixture with incondescent bulbs too, and
in a table lamp in my living room (again a shaded lamp not for
reading). I don't like CFLs for reading or as overhead lighting,
they're okay in lamps with shades. CFLs are fine for low level light
in a room but not for doing tasks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:49:45 -0400, Susan > wrote:

> I LOVE the LED's I'm replacing the (rapidly
> failing, worthless and undimmable)CFLs in there with. Very bright, white
> light and perfectly dimmable.

You've convinced me! I'm going to buy some for the kitchen and maybe
for the lamps in the den.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 16:29:08 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
wrote:

> Most always, LEDs are not driven conservatively, and will not last near as
> long as stated. Heat kills them. If the aluminum sink is warm, the actual
> led will be much hotter.

The sink is stainless steel and I live in a cool environment. It's
rarely hot here.