Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Can you still eat that or should you throw it out?

http://tinyurl.com/a53lwtj

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 19:39:30 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Janet
Bostwick > wrote,

>http://tinyurl.com/xxxxxx

It's tinyurl, you should throw it out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I had to laugh about coffee beans and 3 weeks. Ha. I buy the huge
economy size bag of beans and it lasts for a month or more.

I found an opened bag of black tortilla chips in the back of a
cupboard yest - eww - rancid. I feel like i"m throwing money in the
garbage, but won't take a chance on it.

I didn't notice the article treating on old canned goods e.g. canned
peaches a year past the 'best by' date.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:47:59 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> I found an opened bag of black tortilla chips in the back of a
> cupboard yest - eww - rancid. I feel like i"m throwing money in the
> garbage, but won't take a chance on it.

Frankly, if the package was unopened - I would have opened it and
tasted one to see how it held up. If it didn't taste rancid, I would
have used them for something. Tortilla soup seems appropriate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 25, 5:04*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:47:59 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>
> > wrote:
> > I found an opened bag of black tortilla chips in the back of a
> > cupboard yest - eww - rancid. *I feel like i"m throwing money in the
> > garbage, but won't take a chance on it.

> Frankly, if the package was unopened - I would have opened it and
> tasted one to see how it held up. *If it didn't taste rancid, I would
> have used them for something. *Tortilla soup seems appropriate.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Note that the key word was 'opened'. Plus, I think they'd been back
there for months, hidden behind a box of crackers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/25/2013 7:26 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Mar 25, 5:04 pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:47:59 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> I found an opened bag of black tortilla chips in the back of a
>>> cupboard yest - eww - rancid. I feel like i"m throwing money in the
>>> garbage, but won't take a chance on it.

>> Frankly, if the package was unopened - I would have opened it and
>> tasted one to see how it held up. If it didn't taste rancid, I would
>> have used them for something. Tortilla soup seems appropriate.
>>
>> --

> Note that the key word was 'opened'. Plus, I think they'd been back
> there for months, hidden behind a box of crackers.

Don't feel bad. Not even a handy-dandy bag-clip would have saved those
chips from going stale (much less rancid) after lurking in the pantry
for who knows how long.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:26:25 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Mar 25, 5:04*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:47:59 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > I found an opened bag of black tortilla chips in the back of a
> > > cupboard yest - eww - rancid. *I feel like i"m throwing money in the
> > > garbage, but won't take a chance on it.

> > Frankly, if the package was unopened - I would have opened it and
> > tasted one to see how it held up. *If it didn't taste rancid, I would
> > have used them for something. *Tortilla soup seems appropriate.
> >
> > --
> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> Note that the key word was 'opened'. Plus, I think they'd been back
> there for months, hidden behind a box of crackers.

Oooops, sorry! Completely missed that, which changes my mind
entirely. I'd toss it too. Not that I'd think I'd be "taking a
chance" if I tasted one. Rancid wouldn't cross my mind. They'd be
limp and... come to think of it, they might not be stale where you
live in the same way they would be stale here. I'd taste one and see
what I thought.