Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [OT] Ping all nurses (and docs)

Ten days ago, Mom broke her arm (fracture, humerus) up near her
shoulder. She was in the hosp for 4 days and is now in a home for PT
rehab. I visited her today (the car has been in the shop) and she is
all but brain dead. I asked what pain meds she is on and they said
oxycodone. WTF! She's a freakin' zombie. Whatever happened to
codein based pain meds like Fiorinal? Aren't they less mentally
debilitating than oxy's? Even I've never taken anything stronger than
a percodan.

It breaks my heart to see Mom like she has advanced Alzheimer's, which
she doesn't. At home, sure she's drifty, but not incapacitated. She
uses the bathroom by herself, eats by herself, tells me how much she
hates me.... all with no help! Now, she's can barely sit upright
without help. Does she hafta be on oxy's?

I'll be talking with the doc, tomorrow.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/03/2013 3:26 PM, notbob wrote:
> Ten days ago, Mom broke her arm (fracture, humerus) up near her
> shoulder. She was in the hosp for 4 days and is now in a home for PT
> rehab. I visited her today (the car has been in the shop) and she is
> all but brain dead. I asked what pain meds she is on and they said
> oxycodone. WTF! She's a freakin' zombie. Whatever happened to
> codein based pain meds like Fiorinal? Aren't they less mentally
> debilitating than oxy's? Even I've never taken anything stronger than
> a percodan.
>
> It breaks my heart to see Mom like she has advanced Alzheimer's, which
> she doesn't. At home, sure she's drifty, but not incapacitated. She
> uses the bathroom by herself, eats by herself, tells me how much she
> hates me.... all with no help! Now, she's can barely sit upright
> without help. Does she hafta be on oxy's?
>
> I'll be talking with the doc, tomorrow.
>
> nb

Sorry to hear about your mother's condition nb. I am not a doctor but I
have been on oxys and I didn't find them all that debilitating. The took
the edge off the pain enough that I didn't come close to passing out if
I accidentally moved my shoulder. However, I had heeded the druggist's
advice to take them only when needed and not to take more than one at a
time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Ten days ago, Mom broke her arm (fracture, humerus) up near her
> shoulder. She was in the hosp for 4 days and is now in a home for PT
> rehab. I visited her today (the car has been in the shop) and she is
> all but brain dead. I asked what pain meds she is on and they said
> oxycodone. WTF! She's a freakin' zombie. Whatever happened to
> codein based pain meds like Fiorinal? Aren't they less mentally
> debilitating than oxy's? Even I've never taken anything stronger than
> a percodan.
>
> It breaks my heart to see Mom like she has advanced Alzheimer's, which
> she doesn't. At home, sure she's drifty, but not incapacitated. She
> uses the bathroom by herself, eats by herself, tells me how much she
> hates me.... all with no help! Now, she's can barely sit upright
> without help. Does she hafta be on oxy's?
>
> I'll be talking with the doc, tomorrow.

I am so sorry, Bob. I can't help but I can offer you my best wishes for a
speedy and good recovery.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Ten days ago, Mom broke her arm (fracture, humerus) up near her
> shoulder. She was in the hosp for 4 days and is now in a home for PT
> rehab. I visited her today (the car has been in the shop) and she is
> all but brain dead. I asked what pain meds she is on and they said
> oxycodone. WTF! She's a freakin' zombie. Whatever happened to
> codein based pain meds like Fiorinal? Aren't they less mentally
> debilitating than oxy's? Even I've never taken anything stronger than
> a percodan.
>
> It breaks my heart to see Mom like she has advanced Alzheimer's, which
> she doesn't. At home, sure she's drifty, but not incapacitated. She
> uses the bathroom by herself, eats by herself, tells me how much she
> hates me.... all with no help! Now, she's can barely sit upright
> without help. Does she hafta be on oxy's?
>
> I'll be talking with the doc, tomorrow.

I'm no doc or even a nurse but I do know you havhe a lot to say about how
she is being treated. You need to make noise, literally. Drop the 6 letter
L word a couple of times. they'll listen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Mar 2013 19:26:16 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Ten days ago, Mom broke her arm (fracture, humerus) up near her
>shoulder. She was in the hosp for 4 days and is now in a home for PT
>rehab. I visited her today (the car has been in the shop) and she is
>all but brain dead. I asked what pain meds she is on and they said
>oxycodone. WTF! She's a freakin' zombie. Whatever happened to
>codein based pain meds like Fiorinal? Aren't they less mentally
>debilitating than oxy's? Even I've never taken anything stronger than
>a percodan.
>
>It breaks my heart to see Mom like she has advanced Alzheimer's, which
>she doesn't. At home, sure she's drifty, but not incapacitated. She
>uses the bathroom by herself, eats by herself, tells me how much she
>hates me.... all with no help! Now, she's can barely sit upright
>without help. Does she hafta be on oxy's?
>
>I'll be talking with the doc, tomorrow.
>
>nb

Since it's Sunday, contact her pharmacist today and explain her
condition and ask for recommendations, perhaps changing timing or
using half pills. That medication doesn't affect me that way, but a
couple of aspirin make my husband loopy. She probably needs a
different med. Tomorrow contact her doctor and explain. (Since the
current med makes her a zombie, is it possible that she has taken more
than she should have by mistake?)
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/24/2013 9:26 AM, notbob wrote:
> Ten days ago, Mom broke her arm (fracture, humerus) up near her
> shoulder. She was in the hosp for 4 days and is now in a home for PT
> rehab. I visited her today (the car has been in the shop) and she is
> all but brain dead. I asked what pain meds she is on and they said
> oxycodone. WTF! She's a freakin' zombie. Whatever happened to
> codein based pain meds like Fiorinal? Aren't they less mentally
> debilitating than oxy's? Even I've never taken anything stronger than
> a percodan.
>
> It breaks my heart to see Mom like she has advanced Alzheimer's, which
> she doesn't. At home, sure she's drifty, but not incapacitated. She
> uses the bathroom by herself, eats by herself, tells me how much she
> hates me.... all with no help! Now, she's can barely sit upright
> without help. Does she hafta be on oxy's?
>
> I'll be talking with the doc, tomorrow.
>
> nb

My mother-in-law had bouts with delusions because of her drugs. My wife
took her list of drugs to another doctor to get a second opinion and she
pointed out that a lot of the prescriptions tended to cause this problem
in old folks and weeded out several of them. The elderly tend to take a
whole battery of pills so you really need advice from someone who is an
expert in this aspect of geriatric medicine.

However, in your case, the docs are probably just trying to keep her
sedated with happy pills for the duration of her stay.

My mother-in-law also had some hip surgery that messed up her mind due
to the anesthesia used. My wife said that she never was the same after
that. It's likely that was her own fault because she was around 14 years
older than what the doctors (and her kids and husband) thought she was.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/24/2013 3:26 PM, notbob wrote:
> Ten days ago, Mom broke her arm (fracture, humerus) up near her
> shoulder. She was in the hosp for 4 days and is now in a home for PT
> rehab. I visited her today (the car has been in the shop) and she is
> all but brain dead. I asked what pain meds she is on and they said
> oxycodone. WTF! She's a freakin' zombie. Whatever happened to
> codein based pain meds like Fiorinal? Aren't they less mentally
> debilitating than oxy's? Even I've never taken anything stronger than
> a percodan.
>
> It breaks my heart to see Mom like she has advanced Alzheimer's, which
> she doesn't. At home, sure she's drifty, but not incapacitated. She
> uses the bathroom by herself, eats by herself, tells me how much she
> hates me.... all with no help! Now, she's can barely sit upright
> without help. Does she hafta be on oxy's?
>
> I'll be talking with the doc, tomorrow.

When my mother had a bad fall, she was in a great deal of pain - she was
given morphine in hospital. That made her a bit droopy, but what I
didn't know, was that in addition to pain meds, she was being given
Xanax, which turned her into a droopy zombie. Once I found out about
that, it was stopped.
You asked about _pain_ meds - make sure you ask what else she's being given.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 20:26:27 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 24-Mar-2013, notbob > wrote:
>
>> Ten days ago, Mom broke her arm (fracture, humerus) up near her
>> shoulder. She was in the hosp for 4 days and is now in a home for PT
>> rehab. I visited her today (the car has been in the shop) and she is
>> all but brain dead. I asked what pain meds she is on and they said
>> oxycodone. WTF! She's a freakin' zombie. Whatever happened to
>> codein based pain meds like Fiorinal? Aren't they less mentally
>> debilitating than oxy's? Even I've never taken anything stronger than
>> a percodan.
>>
>> It breaks my heart to see Mom like she has advanced Alzheimer's, which
>> she doesn't. At home, sure she's drifty, but not incapacitated. She
>> uses the bathroom by herself, eats by herself, tells me how much she
>> hates me.... all with no help! Now, she's can barely sit upright
>> without help. Does she hafta be on oxy's?
>>
>> I'll be talking with the doc, tomorrow.

>Sorry to hear of her injury; I wish her a speedy recovery.
>
>Based upon experience with a Bethesda facility when my mother was in a
>similar situation, some rehab facilities like to keep the patients in a
>zombie state. It cuts down on staffing when the patients are too
>out-of-it to express needs. My mother, who required oxygen therapy 24/7
>was left with an empty tank on a number of occasions, with staff failing
>to respond to numerous call-button presses. Other patients were just
>parked in front of a TV, wearing adult diapers, and left for much of the
>day.
>
>Numerous complaints produced no change until my sister, a paralegal,
>sent complaints on law firm letterhead. Amazing improvements, in staff
>attention and patient recovery ensued.

'Zactly! Nursing homes keep patients comatose, less work and more
snooze time for their staff, and they don't care about recovery, it's
not their mother. Find someone with clout to advocate on her
behalf... often a neighbor Atty will send a letter no charge and then
you spend as much time as possible visiting. It's very possible to
find a recommendation for an accomodating Atty at a local RE office or
your bank. I hope her broken arm mends quickly and she's home soon.
Make sure she's eating well, even if you need to bring meals and feed
her, bones mend much faster with a proper diet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/03/2013 5:13 PM, wrote:
> On 24 Mar 2013 19:26:16 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>

> Twice I have been in trouble with those bloody pain killers ! Get her
> off them, this last time with my hand I just didn't take them. True
> it was painful but at least I had my brain back!

It's odd the way they affect people differently. I have a friend with
pain issues and he cannot take oxys. They gave him bad stomach problems.
I was taking them for two months, but after the first few days I was
taking them only at night. I had to sleep on my back and needed to be
medicated for that, and usually woke up in pain about 4 am, so did
another one. After a month or so I was just taking one at bed time.
When I realized I could not not sleep without them I was wary of a
dependence problem and stopped immediately. Other than the dependence
worry, I don't think I had unpleasant side effects.

> When I saw the doc the other day I told him and asked why they no
> longer gave simple meds like Tylenol 3 and his response was 'you
> should have asked for them' -

Tylenol 3 is a narcotic. When I broke a rib (or ribs) I was prescribed
T3 in combination with Motrin, and that did the trick for me.

> Good luck, your mother is probably fine but it will take 2-3 for the
> fog to leave.

After my heart surgery I was in a complete fog. Between the shock to my
system and the heavy duty pain medication I was spaced right out. I am
not into being spaced out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Mar 2013 19:26:16 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Ten days ago, Mom broke her arm (fracture, humerus) up near her
>shoulder. She was in the hosp for 4 days and is now in a home for PT
>rehab. I visited her today (the car has been in the shop) and she is
>all but brain dead. I asked what pain meds she is on and they said
>oxycodone. WTF! She's a freakin' zombie. Whatever happened to
>codein based pain meds like Fiorinal? Aren't they less mentally
>debilitating than oxy's? Even I've never taken anything stronger than
>a percodan.
>
>It breaks my heart to see Mom like she has advanced Alzheimer's, which
>she doesn't. At home, sure she's drifty, but not incapacitated. She
>uses the bathroom by herself, eats by herself, tells me how much she
>hates me.... all with no help! Now, she's can barely sit upright
>without help. Does she hafta be on oxy's?
>
>I'll be talking with the doc, tomorrow.
>
>nb

Oxycodone is a heavy hitter opiate pain reliever (analgesic) for the
relief of moderate to severe pain. It's also very addictive. It's
commonly prescribed for orthopedic patients after surgery because it's
very effective and available in pill form so parients can take them at
home. Maybe your mom is taking too many too often, or maybe they are
too strong (too high a dose.)

No she does not need to be on oxycodone. Ther are other very effective
pain relievers. Definitely talk to the doctor and adjust the dose or
particular other pain reliever to optimize her pain relief without
making her a zombie. Pain relievers are to relieve pain but may not
100% eliminate it. If she is zombiefied she's possibly not feeling any
pain but is also undesiraly debilitated.

John Kuthe (and I am a nurse)...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 14:17:59 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On 24 Mar 2013 19:26:16 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>Ten days ago, Mom broke her arm (fracture, humerus) up near her
>>shoulder. She was in the hosp for 4 days and is now in a home for PT
>>rehab. I visited her today (the car has been in the shop) and she is
>>all but brain dead. I asked what pain meds she is on and they said
>>oxycodone. WTF! She's a freakin' zombie. Whatever happened to
>>codein based pain meds like Fiorinal? Aren't they less mentally
>>debilitating than oxy's? Even I've never taken anything stronger than
>>a percodan.
>>
>>It breaks my heart to see Mom like she has advanced Alzheimer's, which
>>she doesn't. At home, sure she's drifty, but not incapacitated. She
>>uses the bathroom by herself, eats by herself, tells me how much she
>>hates me.... all with no help! Now, she's can barely sit upright
>>without help. Does she hafta be on oxy's?
>>
>>I'll be talking with the doc, tomorrow.
>>
>>nb

>Since it's Sunday, contact her pharmacist today and explain her
>condition and ask for recommendations, perhaps changing timing or
>using half pills. That medication doesn't affect me that way, but a
>couple of aspirin make my husband loopy. She probably needs a
>different med. Tomorrow contact her doctor and explain. (Since the
>current med makes her a zombie, is it possible that she has taken more
>than she should have by mistake?)
>Janet US

sorry, I read that she was at home, not at a home
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-24, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> See if they can moderate the dosage. She might not need as much.

I'm gonna be all in the doc's face, tomorrow. Mom's a screamer, loud
and vociferous about even slightly cold shower water. Yet, she
apparently throws off her sling regularly, thereby imposing her own
pain. I can almost understand the rehab staff dosing her up to make
her compliant and quiet, but too much is too much. Mom is not even
talking, and she's a talker. Perhaps it's for the best for a couple
weeks, but Mom is NOT a zombie nor braindead and it's killing me to
see her like this. I'd rather hear her tell me what a sonofabitch I
am!

OBfood: jes put a prez-cooker of beef bourg on fer dinner. Lordy, I
love that dish! I gotta sliver of blueberry pie left over, too.
Blackberry next.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 20:26:27 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>

>>On 24-Mar-2013, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>> Ten days ago, Mom broke her arm (fracture, humerus) up near her
>>> shoulder. She was in the hosp for 4 days and is now in a home for PT
>>> rehab. I visited her today (the car has been in the shop) and she is
>>> all but brain dead. I asked what pain meds she is on and they said
>>> oxycodone. WTF! She's a freakin' zombie. Whatever happened to
>>> codein based pain meds like Fiorinal? Aren't they less mentally
>>> debilitating than oxy's? Even I've never taken anything stronger than
>>> a percodan.
>>>
>>> It breaks my heart to see Mom like she has advanced Alzheimer's, which
>>> she doesn't. At home, sure she's drifty, but not incapacitated. She
>>> uses the bathroom by herself, eats by herself, tells me how much she
>>> hates me.... all with no help! Now, she's can barely sit upright
>>> without help. Does she hafta be on oxy's?
>>>
>>> I'll be talking with the doc, tomorrow.

>>Sorry to hear of her injury; I wish her a speedy recovery.
>>
>>Based upon experience with a Bethesda facility when my mother was in a
>>similar situation, some rehab facilities like to keep the patients in a
>>zombie state. It cuts down on staffing when the patients are too
>>out-of-it to express needs. My mother, who required oxygen therapy 24/7
>>was left with an empty tank on a number of occasions, with staff failing
>>to respond to numerous call-button presses. Other patients were just
>>parked in front of a TV, wearing adult diapers, and left for much of the
>>day.
>>
>>Numerous complaints produced no change until my sister, a paralegal,
>>sent complaints on law firm letterhead. Amazing improvements, in staff
>>attention and patient recovery ensued.

> 'Zactly! Nursing homes keep patients comatose, less work and more
> snooze time for their staff,

Or, a smaller staff is needed, keeping down overheads and increasing
profits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 24, 2013 3:26:16 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> Ten days ago, Mom broke her arm (fracture, humerus) up near her
>
> shoulder. She was in the hosp for 4 days and is now in a home for PT
>
> rehab. I visited her today (the car has been in the shop) and she is
>
> all but brain dead. I asked what pain meds she is on and they said
>
> oxycodone. WTF! She's a freakin' zombie. Whatever happened to
>
> codein based pain meds like Fiorinal? Aren't they less mentally
>
> debilitating than oxy's? Even I've never taken anything stronger than
>
> a percodan.
>

> It breaks my heart to see Mom like she has advanced Alzheimer's, which
>
> she doesn't. At home, sure she's drifty, but not incapacitated. She
>
> uses the bathroom by herself, eats by herself, tells me how much she
>
> hates me.... all with no help! Now, she's can barely sit upright
>
> without help. Does she hafta be on oxy's?
>

> I'll be talking with the doc, tomorrow.
>

> nb

Your doctor should be beaten to death. The Reagan administration kidnapped and tortured me. My back is injured in two areas. One area they refuse to acknowledge. Some kind of a lump with metal in it.. It maybe kryptonite because it took a Navy doctor to install. That was in 1982. I married an illegal alien and finally qualified for the health lottery. The Doctor never noticed the kryptonite. Even the ACLU needs to be destroyed over this one because I am not a black.

What we need is justice and legal representation. That can only be brought on the destruction of the religious government.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 21:50:53 GMT, l not -l wrote:

>>> Uh, "Lawsuit"?
>>>

>> 6 letters, not 7. Close - lawyer. . 8-)

> Yeah, I know - I thought hew counted the number of letters wrong.
>
> But why would you need a lawyer just to change your (or your mother's)
> pain medication? You don't have to take ANYTHING if you don't want
> (unless you're in a loony hospital under court order). Paul must just
> be the timid, non-aggressive type.

You've never been in a situation where clearly somebody you loved was in
danger due to "hospital policy."

Timid? **** you. I'd fight like a Norseman for my loved ones. You'd be
found in a bathroom shitting green apples.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 22:00:14 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> 6 letters, not 7. Close - lawyer. . 8-)

>> Yeah, I know - I thought hew counted the number of letters wrong.
>>
>> But why would you need a lawyer just to change your (or your mother's)
>> pain medication? You don't have to take ANYTHING if you don't want
>> (unless you're in a loony hospital under court order). Paul must just
>> be the timid, non-aggressive type.
>>

>You've never been in a situation where clearly somebody you loved was in
>danger due to "hospital policy."
>
>Timid? **** you. I'd fight like a Norseman for my loved ones. You'd be
>found in a bathroom shitting green apples.

that's your first step? No fact finding, no reasoned conversation?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message
> Percodan is a drug containing oxycodone and aspirin.
> "notbob" wrote in message ...
> Ten days ago, Mom broke her arm (fracture, humerus) up near her
> shoulder. She was in the hosp for 4 days and is now in a home for PT
> rehab. I visited her today (the car has been in the shop) and she is
> all but brain dead. I asked what pain meds she is on and they said
> oxycodone. WTF! She's a freakin' zombie. Whatever happened to
> codein based pain meds like Fiorinal? Aren't they less mentally
> debilitating than oxy's? Even I've never taken anything stronger than
> a percodan.
>
> It breaks my heart to see Mom like she has advanced Alzheimer's, which
> she doesn't. At home, sure she's drifty, but not incapacitated. She
> uses the bathroom by herself, eats by herself, tells me how much she
> hates me.... all with no help! Now, she's can barely sit upright
> without help. Does she hafta be on oxy's?
>
> I'll be talking with the doc, tomorrow.
>
> nb

I wouldn't really think that she'd need any pain killers at all. Granted,
the only thing I've ever broken was some toes. I never took anything. But
then I'm not much into pain pills. They prescribed some for me after I had
the baby and I think I only took two of them. One wasn't even for pain. It
was so that I could get some sleep!

My daughter has broken her arm three times and her thumb once. They never
even offered her any kind of pain killers. It's possible that she took
something OTC for the first few days. I don't really remember. But most
likely not since she doesn't like pain killers either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 22:00:14 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:

>>> Yeah, I know - I thought hew counted the number of letters wrong.
>>>
>>> But why would you need a lawyer just to change your (or your mother's)
>>> pain medication? You don't have to take ANYTHING if you don't want
>>> (unless you're in a loony hospital under court order). Paul must just
>>> be the timid, non-aggressive type.
>>>

>>You've never been in a situation where clearly somebody you loved was in
>>danger due to "hospital policy."
>>
>>Timid? **** you. I'd fight like a Norseman for my loved ones. You'd be
>>found in a bathroom shitting green apples.
>>

> that's your first step? No fact finding, no reasoned conversation?
> Janet US

Hell no. Time wasted. You have to attack when they least expect it. Then
you negotiate from a position of strength.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 23:35:40 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 22:00:14 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:

>>>You've never been in a situation where clearly somebody you loved was in
>>>danger due to "hospital policy."
>>>
>>>Timid? **** you. I'd fight like a Norseman for my loved ones. You'd be
>>>found in a bathroom shitting green apples.
>>>

>> that's your first step? No fact finding, no reasoned conversation?

> The whole lawyer-thing was a pretty drastic recommendation. This
> thread was unnecessary in the first place and now it's gotten even
> more pathetic.

Go swipe a roast from a shopping cart.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 22:00:14 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>>> But why would you need a lawyer just to change your (or your mother's)
>>> pain medication? You don't have to take ANYTHING if you don't want
>>> (unless you're in a loony hospital under court order). Paul must just
>>> be the timid, non-aggressive type.
>>>

>> You've never been in a situation where clearly somebody you loved was in
>> danger due to "hospital policy."

> On what planet is it "Hospital Policy" to force patients to take
> certain pain medications? Especially 10 days after her arm was
> broken?
>
> None.
>
>> Timid? **** you. I'd fight like a Norseman for my loved ones. You'd be
>> found in a bathroom shitting green apples.

> Did I just hear a mouse squeak?

Must have been your voice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 22:56:54 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

>>> that's your first step? No fact finding, no reasoned conversation?

>> Hell no. Time wasted. You have to attack when they least expect it.
>> Then
>> you negotiate from a position of strength.

> Yeah, that;'s it. Pay a lawyer $1,000 for what you could solve in 3
> minutes of normal, human conversation.
>
> Lunatic.

I guess you don't know hwat the phrase "drop" means. do you? It's pretty
clear this whole thing is beyong your sphere of stealing meat from othyer
people's cart and trolling news groups.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 22:00:14 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:

>>>You've never been in a situation where clearly somebody you loved was in
>>>danger due to "hospital policy."
>>>
>>>Timid? **** you. I'd fight like a Norseman for my loved ones. You'd be
>>>found in a bathroom shitting green apples.
>>>

>> that's your first step? No fact finding, no reasoned conversation?
>> Janet US

> Hell no. Time wasted. You have to attack when they least expect it.
> Then you negotiate from a position of strength.

What a way to make friends!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

> "Sqwertz" wrote:
> > Yeah, that;'s it. Pay a lawyer $1,000 for what you could solve in 3
> > minutes of normal, human conversation.
> >
> > Lunatic.

> I guess you don't know hwat the phrase "drop" means. do you? It's pretty
> clear this whole thing is beyong your sphere of stealing meat from othyer
> people's cart and trolling news groups.

And YOU think pot is some miracle drug, Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/24/2013 11:20 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 21:50:53 GMT, l not -l wrote:

>> 6 letters, not 7. Close - lawyer. . 8-)

> Yeah, I know - I thought hew counted the number of letters wrong.
>
> But why would you need a lawyer just to change your (or your mother's)
> pain medication? You don't have to take ANYTHING if you don't want
> (unless you're in a loony hospital under court order). Paul must just
> be the timid, non-aggressive type.

It sounds easy, doesn't it? Try getting anyone's attention, then
get them to find the doctor who's the only one who can sign off on
anything.

My mil was in the hospital, nothing wrong with her but low blood
pressure that would cause her to pass out. My fil, he had Alz. He
was convinced she passed out because someone had shot her and he
wanted her out of there. He kept pulling out her Intravenous needles.
He might have been skinny at 83, but he was still the former state
weightlifting champion and hard to control.

All this drama and struggle, and they still wouldn't go find the
doctor to sign the release forms. We were dressing her to smuggle
her out when he finally showed up.

No one was a pushover in this scenario. I can imagine how telling
them to change the medication would go.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

>>> that's your first step? No fact finding, no reasoned conversation?
>>> Janet US

>> Hell no. Time wasted. You have to attack when they least expect it.
>> Then you negotiate from a position of strength.

> What a way to make friends!

He's got a lot to learn, I know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 3/24/2013 11:20 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 21:50:53 GMT, l not -l wrote:

>>> 6 letters, not 7. Close - lawyer. . 8-)

>> Yeah, I know - I thought hew counted the number of letters wrong.
>>
>> But why would you need a lawyer just to change your (or your mother's)
>> pain medication? You don't have to take ANYTHING if you don't want
>> (unless you're in a loony hospital under court order). Paul must just
>> be the timid, non-aggressive type.

> It sounds easy, doesn't it? Try getting anyone's attention, then
> get them to find the doctor who's the only one who can sign off on
> anything.

That's why I said you really have to make noise. As in literally.
Otherwise they just ignore you.

> My mil was in the hospital, nothing wrong with her but low blood
> pressure that would cause her to pass out. My fil, he had Alz. He
> was convinced she passed out because someone had shot her and he
> wanted her out of there. He kept pulling out her Intravenous needles. He
> might have been skinny at 83, but he was still the former state
> weightlifting champion and hard to control.
>
> All this drama and struggle, and they still wouldn't go find the
> doctor to sign the release forms. We were dressing her to smuggle
> her out when he finally showed up.
>
> No one was a pushover in this scenario. I can imagine how telling
> them to change the medication would go.

It does help when you have a lawyer to call - even if they are a contract
attorney. LOL. Sure gets their attention.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 02:54:41 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 23:35:40 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> The whole lawyer-thing was a pretty drastic recommendation. This
>>> thread was unnecessary in the first place and now it's gotten even
>>> more pathetic.

>> Go swipe a roast from a shopping cart.

> A tri-tip to be exact. Don't forget that I found some USDA Prime
> ribeye in a cart in the parking lot, too! That I took home and
> enjoyed rather than returning to the store as lost+found.

And you were so proud you posted the exact same story the next year.

And the USDA prime rib was a possum.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

x-noa-rchive: yes

On 3/25/2013 11:34 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> That's why I said you really have to make noise. As in literally.
> Otherwise they just ignore you.

What you really, REALLY must do is make sure you or someone else is a
health care proxy.

Authority to make decisions is much better than noise.

Susan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 03:13:01 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> Yeah, that;'s it. Pay a lawyer $1,000 for what you could solve in 3
>>> minutes of normal, human conversation.
>>>
>>> Lunatic.

>> I guess you don't know hwat the phrase "drop" means. do you? It's pretty
>> clear this whole thing is beyong your sphere of stealing meat from othyer
>> people's cart and trolling news groups.

> Oh, so you just go around like Chicken Little yelling "Lawyer!
> Lawyer!" every time you face a simple, benign confrontation.

Well, yeah. Works every time too. Especially when you have them on speed
dial. I get my way, bottom line.

> Do you also start dropping the "L" word when you're overcharged for
> your Preparation-H at the drug store?

You being a roid I am sure htis is near and dear to you.

> Lunatic.

Drunkard!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Susan" > wrote in message
> x-noa-rchive: yes
>
> On 3/25/2013 11:34 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> That's why I said you really have to make noise. As in literally.
>> Otherwise they just ignore you.

> What you really, REALLY must do is make sure you or someone else is a
> health care proxy.
>
> Authority to make decisions is much better than noise.

Yes, quite. In squishies case I'd not recommend it. It would be like
"let's pull the plug, he's suffering. Doc: he just has a sprained ankle.
No no, it's time, you've done what you can. Doc: OK"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/25/2013 11:14 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:00:48 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>> It sounds easy, doesn't it? Try getting anyone's attention, then
>> get them to find the doctor who's the only one who can sign off on
>> anything.

> For a change in pain meds that is a simple page to the doctor or his
> assistant. Pain meds are totally optional anyway. They don't have to
> take them in the first place - just say no to the nurse.

Perhaps that would work if you stayed by the patient's side
24/7.

As far as distracting a doctor on their rounds, you'd better be
gushing blood or something.

> If anything,
> the healing process would be faster without pain medication. It's
> questionable whether a 10-day old broken arm really needs narcotic
> pain meds anyway - but maybe it is required for elderly or the type of
> break.

I have seen serious deterioration in elderly people after a stay in
the hospital. I think that medication is more detrimental to them
than maybe it's worth, sometimes.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sqwish-sqwish-sqwish went the human abacus.

> > Drop the 6 letter L word a couple of times. they'll listen.

> Uh, "Lawsuit"?

I hope you do better arithmetic when you're calculating the tip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 24, 2013 6:57:41 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:

> No she does not need to be on oxycodone. Ther are other very effective
> pain relievers.
>
> John Kuthe (and I am a nurse)...

....and NOT a doctor. Your nursing board will be so pleased to hear that you're practicing medicine on the internet. Expect a call, you mincing faggot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 24, 2013 3:26:16 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> I asked what pain meds she is on and they said
> oxycodone. WTF! She's a freakin' zombie. Whatever happened to
> codein based pain meds like Fiorinal? Aren't they less mentally
> debilitating than oxy's? Even I've never taken anything stronger than
> a percodan.

What do you think is in Percodan, half-wit? Do your mom a favor and stay out of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/24/2013 7:58 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-03-24, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
>> See if they can moderate the dosage. She might not need as much.

> I'm gonna be all in the doc's face, tomorrow. Mom's a screamer, loud
> and vociferous about even slightly cold shower water. Yet, she
> apparently throws off her sling regularly, thereby imposing her own
> pain. I can almost understand the rehab staff dosing her up to make
> her compliant and quiet, but too much is too much. Mom is not even
> talking, and she's a talker. Perhaps it's for the best for a couple
> weeks, but Mom is NOT a zombie nor braindead and it's killing me to
> see her like this. I'd rather hear her tell me what a sonofabitch I
> am!

Don't just talk to the doctor; ask to see the medications the care
attendants are actually administering to your mother. There can be
mistakes made, sometimes intentionally. Drugs like oxy are worth a lot
on the black market; they may be messing with your mom's meds and
substituting something else.

The rehab center my mom was at after her hip replacement pulled that
stunt. The attendants first refused to give her her pain meds as
scheduled. When she asked for them, they told her she'd get them only
when they felt like giving them to her. After we raised hell over
that, she got her meds, but they didn't seem to do any good with the
pain. Nobody'd listen when we brought that up. When she was finally
released to go home, she was given the remainder of her meds to take
with her. It turned out that instead of giving her oxycodone, they
were giving her an antihistamine. I'm quite sure that wasn't an
accident, and that her oxycodone went into somebody's pocket, instead
of into her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 3/25/2013 11:14 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:00:48 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> It sounds easy, doesn't it? Try getting anyone's attention, then
>>> get them to find the doctor who's the only one who can sign off on
>>> anything.

>> For a change in pain meds that is a simple page to the doctor or his
>> assistant. Pain meds are totally optional anyway. They don't have to
>> take them in the first place - just say no to the nurse.

> Perhaps that would work if you stayed by the patient's side
> 24/7.
>
> As far as distracting a doctor on their rounds, you'd better be
> gushing blood or something.
>
>> If anything,
>> the healing process would be faster without pain medication. It's
>> questionable whether a 10-day old broken arm really needs narcotic
>> pain meds anyway - but maybe it is required for elderly or the type of
>> break.

> I have seen serious deterioration in elderly people after a stay in
> the hospital. I think that medication is more detrimental to them
> than maybe it's worth, sometimes.
>
> nancy

That and often lack of nutrition.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:01:53 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> Oh, so you just go around like Chicken Little yelling "Lawyer!
>>> Lawyer!" every time you face a simple, benign confrontation.

>> Well, yeah. Works every time too. Especially when you have them on
>> speed
>> dial. I get my way, bottom line.

> Then apparently you're a supreme dick in real life, too.

Well they don't call me boss for nothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:10:03 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
wrote:

>On 3/24/2013 7:58 PM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2013-03-24, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>>
>>> See if they can moderate the dosage. She might not need as much.

>> I'm gonna be all in the doc's face, tomorrow. Mom's a screamer, loud
>> and vociferous about even slightly cold shower water. Yet, she
>> apparently throws off her sling regularly, thereby imposing her own
>> pain. I can almost understand the rehab staff dosing her up to make
>> her compliant and quiet, but too much is too much. Mom is not even
>> talking, and she's a talker. Perhaps it's for the best for a couple
>> weeks, but Mom is NOT a zombie nor braindead and it's killing me to
>> see her like this. I'd rather hear her tell me what a sonofabitch I
>> am!

>Don't just talk to the doctor; ask to see the medications the care
>attendants are actually administering to your mother. There can be
>mistakes made, sometimes intentionally. Drugs like oxy are worth a lot
>on the black market; they may be messing with your mom's meds and
>substituting something else.
>
>The rehab center my mom was at after her hip replacement pulled that
>stunt. The attendants first refused to give her her pain meds as
>scheduled. When she asked for them, they told her she'd get them only
>when they felt like giving them to her. After we raised hell over
>that, she got her meds, but they didn't seem to do any good with the
>pain. Nobody'd listen when we brought that up. When she was finally
>released to go home, she was given the remainder of her meds to take
>with her.

Your story doesn't make sense. When released the doctor gives you a
Rx to fill, they don't give out drugs from the hospital pharmacy
cart... not in the US.