Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is Old Bay Seasoning

I don't know what the heck this is. I'm under the assumption it's some
Brand Name of pre-mixed herbs or seasoning from the USA. It has come up
a bunch of times in meat recipes from American based websites.

What is it, and how can I make it at home from my spice rack...

Anyone heard of this stuff?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 19:34:37 -0400, Hench > wrote:

>I don't know what the heck this is. I'm under the assumption it's some
>Brand Name of pre-mixed herbs or seasoning from the USA. It has come up
>a bunch of times in meat recipes from American based websites.
>
>What is it, and how can I make it at home from my spice rack...
>
>Anyone heard of this stuff?

The ingredients are listed at the web site:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...%2Caps%2 C215

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-23, Hench > wrote:

> Anyone heard of this stuff?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bay_Seasoning

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 6:34*pm, Hench > wrote:

> I don't know what the heck this is. *I'm under the assumption it's some
> Brand Name of pre-mixed herbs or seasoning from the USA. *It has come up
> a bunch of times in meat recipes from American based websites.
>
> What is it, and how can I make it at home from my spice rack...
>
> Anyone heard of this stuff?

Old Bay is not sold in Canada?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hench" > wrote in message ...
>I don't know what the heck this is. I'm under the assumption it's some
>Brand Name of pre-mixed herbs or seasoning from the USA. It has come up a
>bunch of times in meat recipes from American based websites.
>
> What is it, and how can I make it at home from my spice rack...
>
> Anyone heard of this stuff?

I bought it once. Many years ago. Should be able to find the ingredients
online though. Yep.

http://www.spiceplace.com/old_bay_seasoning.php

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I looked for my tin of Old Bay. ? Must have given it to the grandchildren
for storing fossils or other treasures. Old Bay is for yankees - that is -
everyone living north of Florida. The rest of us use the real thing which
is made by Zatarain's. 'They say' they play jazz in their kitchens so the
seasonings come out just right. I believe. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2013 9:43 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> I looked for my tin of Old Bay. ? Must have given it to the
> grandchildren for storing fossils or other treasures. Old Bay is for
> yankees - that is - everyone living north of Florida. The rest of us
> use the real thing which is made by Zatarain's. 'They say' they play
> jazz in their kitchens so the seasonings come out just right. I
> believe. Polly

When steaming blue crabs, it has to be Old Bay. Zatarains is good for
shrimp and crawfish, though I find it a bit too salty for my taste.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:40:24 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> On 3/23/2013 9:43 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> > I looked for my tin of Old Bay. ? Must have given it to the
> > grandchildren for storing fossils or other treasures. Old Bay is for
> > yankees - that is - everyone living north of Florida. The rest of us
> > use the real thing which is made by Zatarain's. 'They say' they play
> > jazz in their kitchens so the seasonings come out just right. I
> > believe. Polly

> When steaming blue crabs, it has to be Old Bay. Zatarains is good for
> shrimp and crawfish, though I find it a bit too salty for my taste.

How much do you use? Salt is never an issue, AFAIC.... but I don't
steam, I boil (with lemons).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/03/2013 1:35 PM, Hench wrote:

>> Old Bay is not sold in Canada?
>>

> Not from what I see but I live in a small town. I've never looked for
> it though. It may be available at Walmart as they are an American company.
>
> I only come across it when I search online for meat recipes.
>
> I've always used Montreal Chicken Spice in it's place but it sounds like
> the two are not close at all.
>
> If it's for seafood as people say it is I may give it a shot!

I have never seen it. AFAIK, it's for boiling crabs. I don't remember
ever seeing fresh crab for sale, so there would not be much point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-24, Dave Smith > wrote:

> I have never seen it. AFAIK, it's for boiling crabs.

That's Zatarain's Shrimp, Seafood, and Crab Boil. Yes, OB can be used
for a crab/shrimp boil, but a recipe for a boil, even the term "boil",
is found nowhere on the can.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/24/2013 11:41 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:40:24 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> On 3/23/2013 9:43 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
>>> I looked for my tin of Old Bay. ? Must have given it to the
>>> grandchildren for storing fossils or other treasures. Old Bay is for
>>> yankees - that is - everyone living north of Florida. The rest of us
>>> use the real thing which is made by Zatarain's. 'They say' they play
>>> jazz in their kitchens so the seasonings come out just right. I
>>> believe. Polly

>> When steaming blue crabs, it has to be Old Bay. Zatarains is good for
>> shrimp and crawfish, though I find it a bit too salty for my taste.

> How much do you use? Salt is never an issue, AFAIC.... but I don't
> steam, I boil (with lemons).

If I use the same amount of Zaterains to boil shrimp as I would use Old
Bay, the Zaterains is too salty. I switched back to Old Bay. I think
it's a bit less overpowering to the shrimp, as well. You many recall I
am not a fan of hot pepper.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 5:00*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 24/03/2013 4:53 PM, Susan wrote:
>

> > On 3/24/2013 2:08 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> I have never seen it. AFAIK, it's for boiling crabs. I don't remember
> >> ever seeing fresh crab for sale, so there would not be much point.

> > Nope, it's a mix of pretty all purpose herbs and spices, says for meat
> > and poultry on the tin.

> Wouldn't know. I have never seen it in any stores here.

I used it last year in a recipe from Reynold's wrap for spicy shrimp.
It was verrrry good and everybody raved about the results. It was
used as a marinade before grilling the shrimp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 6:11*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 24/03/2013 6:56 PM, wrote:
>

> >> Wouldn't know. I have never seen it in any stores here.

> > I used it last year in a recipe from Reynold's wrap for spicy shrimp.
> > It was verrrry good and everybody raved about the results. *It was
> > used as a marinade before grilling the shrimp.

> I will keep an eye out for it... but I don't expect to see it. * When I
> grill shrimp I use a tried and true marinade... *olive oil, lemon or
> lime juice, lots of crushed garlic, salt and pepper, Whatsthishere
> sauce, parsley and hot sauce.

Your local store may have their own house brand of this 'spice.' The
spicy shrimp recipe I used is very similar to yours with the addition
of Old Bay seasoning.

1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp

4 cloves of minced garlic (micro plane zester does a great job on
this)

1/4 cup lemon juice (usually the yield of 1 lemon)

2 teaspoons lemon pepper

4 teaspoons seafood seasoning such as Old Bay

2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup of vegetable oil

Whisk all together and pour over cleaned shrimp and marinate for at
least 30 minutes. Half of the sauce can be reserved to brush on the
shrimp while grilling if desired. This also can be quickly prepared in
a skillet on the stove. Either way gives great results and a grill
skillet can used if you don't want to skewer your shrimp for the
grill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 13:58:30 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> On 3/24/2013 11:41 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:40:24 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> When steaming blue crabs, it has to be Old Bay. Zatarains is good for
> >> shrimp and crawfish, though I find it a bit too salty for my taste.

> > How much do you use? Salt is never an issue, AFAIC.... but I don't
> > steam, I boil (with lemons).
> >

> If I use the same amount of Zaterains to boil shrimp as I would use Old
> Bay, the Zaterains is too salty. I switched back to Old Bay. I think
> it's a bit less overpowering to the shrimp, as well. You many recall I
> am not a fan of hot pepper.

Excuse me, I misread and thought you said Old Bay was too salty. Not
a fan of Zatarains in general, so I can't tell you if I think it's too
salty or not because I just plain do not like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 14:08:58 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 24/03/2013 1:35 PM, Hench wrote:
>

>>> Old Bay is not sold in Canada?

>> If it's for seafood as people say it is I may give it a shot!

>I have never seen it. AFAIK, it's for boiling crabs. I don't remember
>ever seeing fresh crab for sale, so there would not be much point.

While it is used for crabs, it is pretty good on pork chops and
chicken too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 10:08*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> While it is used for crabs, it is pretty good on pork chops and
> chicken too.

Do you mix anything with it or just sprinkle it on lightly or
generously?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 21:04:00 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Mar 24, 10:08*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>> While it is used for crabs, it is pretty good on pork chops and
>> chicken too.
>>

>Do you mix anything with it or just sprinkle it on lightly or
>generously?

Use it straight, not too heavy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2013-03-24, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > I have never seen it. AFAIK, it's for boiling crabs.

> That's Zatarain's Shrimp, Seafood, and Crab Boil. Yes, OB can be used
> for a crab/shrimp boil, but a recipe for a boil, even the term "boil",
> is found nowhere on the can.

Not true. If you look at your can of Old Bay, look at the recipe for
"Steamed Shrimp."

Here it is:
- 2 TBS Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lb shrimp, in shells

In saucepan, combine the first 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Add shrimp,
stir gently. Cover, steam until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Drain; remove
shells.

This is how I cook shrimp except I'll stir the shrimp once again while
cooking. Half of the shrimp is being boiled while the other half is being
steamed. It's good. The half boiling method gets plenty of the flavor onto
the shrimp.

G.

PS - Hope you get your Mom's meds fixed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 21:04:00 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Mar 24, 10:08 pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> >>
> >> While it is used for crabs, it is pretty good on pork chops and
> >> chicken too.
> >>

> >Do you mix anything with it or just sprinkle it on lightly or
> >generously?

> Use it straight, not too heavy.

Have you tried it on pork or chicken? It's a must on certain seafood for me
(crab, shrimp) but I've never been tempted to use it otherwise.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>Dave Smith wrote:

>>> If it's for seafood as people say it is I may give it a shot!

>>I have never seen it. AFAIK, it's for boiling crabs. I don't remember
>>ever seeing fresh crab for sale, so there would not be much point.

>While it is used for crabs, it is pretty good on pork chops and
>chicken too.

I sprinkle some in tuna salad, on omelets, even good to season a sour
cream chip dip... I've never used Old Bay for crabs, shrimp, etc., not
that I can remember when I last cooked crustaceans. I abhor the
taste/texture of crab meat, and I'm not going out of my way for shrimp
or lobster... the only way I like those are boiled in sea water, no
seasoning... but I can live without. To me once shrimp and lobster
have been frozen they're trash.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 11:08*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>.
>
> While it is used for crabs, it is pretty good on pork chops and
> chicken too.

Pretty good on French Fries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/24/2013 2:58 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> On 3/24/2013 11:41 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:40:24 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:

>>> When steaming blue crabs, it has to be Old Bay. Zatarains is good for
>>> shrimp and crawfish, though I find it a bit too salty for my taste.

>> How much do you use? Salt is never an issue, AFAIC.... but I don't
>> steam, I boil (with lemons).
>>

> If I use the same amount of Zaterains to boil shrimp as I would use Old
> Bay, the Zaterains is too salty. I switched back to Old Bay. I think
> it's a bit less overpowering to the shrimp, as well. You many recall I
> am not a fan of hot pepper.

Northerners might be right. I'm in MD and we put Old Bay on all
crustaceans. Then again I don't eat crawfish, but I know it's popular
here as many seafood restaurants have it on the menu. It can't be beat
on shrimp in my opinion. I only ask for medium seasoning because I can't
eat a lot of hot, and even Old Bay is salty.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/24/2013 2:08 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 24/03/2013 1:35 PM, Hench wrote:
>

>>> Old Bay is not sold in Canada?
>>>

>> Not from what I see but I live in a small town. I've never looked for
>> it though. It may be available at Walmart as they are an American
>> company.
>>
>> I only come across it when I search online for meat recipes.
>>
>> I've always used Montreal Chicken Spice in it's place but it sounds like
>> the two are not close at all.
>>
>> If it's for seafood as people say it is I may give it a shot!

> I have never seen it. AFAIK, it's for boiling crabs. I don't remember
> ever seeing fresh crab for sale, so there would not be much point.

Steaming crabs.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 19:34:37 -0400, Hench > wrote:

>I don't know what the heck this is. I'm under the assumption it's some
>Brand Name of pre-mixed herbs or seasoning from the USA. It has come up
>a bunch of times in meat recipes from American based websites.
>
>What is it, and how can I make it at home from my spice rack...
>
>Anyone heard of this stuff?

I use it for shrimp, but I add a couple of bay leaves, some
peppercorns and a half lemon to the water as well.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:19:54 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 3/24/2013 2:58 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
> > On 3/24/2013 11:41 AM, sf wrote:
> >> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:40:24 -0500, Janet Wilder

> >> How much do you use? Salt is never an issue, AFAIC.... but I don't
> >> steam, I boil (with lemons).
> >>

> > If I use the same amount of Zaterains to boil shrimp as I would use Old
> > Bay, the Zaterains is too salty. I switched back to Old Bay. I think
> > it's a bit less overpowering to the shrimp, as well. You many recall I
> > am not a fan of hot pepper.
> >

> Northerners might be right. I'm in MD and we put Old Bay on all
> crustaceans. Then again I don't eat crawfish, but I know it's popular
> here as many seafood restaurants have it on the menu. It can't be beat
> on shrimp in my opinion. I only ask for medium seasoning because I can't
> eat a lot of hot, and even Old Bay is salty.

Maybe it's the native Northerner in me that chose Old Bay over
Zatarain's because neither one was from my up bringing, so the adult
in me made the choice. In any case, whatever salt there is didn't
bother me when son used OB straight on pork chops for seasoning. It
was the entire mix of herbs that didn't sit right with me on pork. I
don't need/want that many flavors on a hunk of meat. In any case, I
think I must use more water than normal, because as I said before salt
isn't an issue for me. Also, that stuff goes into the water and the
coruscations boil up with it (with lemons), I don't sprinkle it over
them after they come out.

I wouldn't order anything in a restaurant that claimed to use Old Bay
or Zatarain's as their seasoning. It's as bad as using "seasoned
salt". I can shake on a can of something onto food myself, I don't
need to pay someone to do it for me. I also have no idea what you
mean when you say - "medium seasoning", what's that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 19:34:37 -0400, Hench > wrote:

>I don't know what the heck this is. I'm under the assumption it's some
>Brand Name of pre-mixed herbs or seasoning from the USA. It has come up
>a bunch of times in meat recipes from American based websites.
>
>What is it, and how can I make it at home from my spice rack...
>
>Anyone heard of this stuff?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bay_Seasoning
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 25, 4:54*am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 21:04:00 -0700 (PDT), "
>
> > wrote:
>
> >On Mar 24, 10:08*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> >> While it is used for crabs, it is pretty good on pork chops and
> >> chicken too.

> >Do you mix anything with it or just sprinkle it on lightly or
> >generously?

> Use it straight, not too heavy.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 07:43:19 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 21:04:00 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>> >Do you mix anything with it or just sprinkle it on lightly or
>> >generously?

>> Use it straight, not too heavy.

>Have you tried it on pork or chicken? It's a must on certain seafood for me
>(crab, shrimp) but I've never been tempted to use it otherwise.
>
>G.

I've used it often. Country ribs in the smoker too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/25/2013 7:41 PM, sf wrote:

> I must use more water than normal, because as I said before salt
> isn't an issue for me. Also, that stuff goes into the water and the
> coruscations boil up with it (with lemons), I don't sprinkle it over
> them after they come out.

For shrimp, I let the seafood dept season and steam it for me. No
boiling water involved, so you get full on seasoning, undiluted.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 23:24:28 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> For shrimp, I let the seafood dept season and steam it for me. No
> boiling water involved, so you get full on seasoning, undiluted.

I would NOT like that even with zero salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/25/2013 10:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I've used it often. Country ribs in the smoker too.

Old Bay is one of the ingredients in the rub I make for ribs that I smoke.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/24/13 11:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> While it is used for crabs, it is pretty good on pork chops and
> chicken too.

My wife loves it on sauteed sea scallops and sauteed lobster.

-- Larry

Seasoning a Wok Kswck General Cooking 1 20-01-2009 12:23 AM
Seasoning Dick Adams[_2_] General Cooking 55 08-03-2007 05:59 PM
seasoning a wok Jen General Cooking 5 06-10-2005 10:44 PM
Wok Seasoning [email protected] Cooking Equipment 3 26-01-2005 02:56 PM
wok seasoning? Sticks General Cooking 5 26-05-2004 12:10 AM