Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Publix Closed on Easter!

Just got the Publix weekly sales flyer and of course it's about Easter
deals. $1.69/lb for bone-in half (smoked) hams. Since the Easter
thread I thought hmmmm, maybe I'll buy a ham. No law says I have to put
glaze, cloves, pineapple and marachino cherries on it, right?

I did call to ask if they'd remove the bone and tie the ham and leave me
the bone to use for soup. "Of course!" Seems to me Sheldon mentioned
an extra charge for that service. The butcher was surprised when I
asked; the answer was, "Of course not!"

What did surprise me is they'll be closed on Easter. It's been a great
many years since I saw a grocery store that wasn't open at least for a
few hours on holidays. No worries here. I'm glad they're getting the
day off.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Just got the Publix weekly sales flyer and of course it's about Easter
> deals. $1.69/lb for bone-in half (smoked) hams. Since the Easter thread
> I thought hmmmm, maybe I'll buy a ham. No law says I have to put glaze,
> cloves, pineapple and marachino cherries on it, right?
>
> I did call to ask if they'd remove the bone and tie the ham and leave me
> the bone to use for soup. "Of course!" Seems to me Sheldon mentioned an
> extra charge for that service. The butcher was surprised when I asked;
> the answer was, "Of course not!"
>
> What did surprise me is they'll be closed on Easter. It's been a great
> many years since I saw a grocery store that wasn't open at least for a few
> hours on holidays. No worries here. I'm glad they're getting the day
> off.
>
> Jill

I've never been to a supermarket yet that wouldn't do that for you at no
charge. I like to see employees get holidays off too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> > I've never been to a supermarket yet that wouldn't do that for you at no
> > charge. I like to see employees get holidays off too.

> But, but . . . Sheldon said they'd charge extra.
> When has he ever been wrong before?

Respectfully and without impugning your judgment, I believe that is the wrong
question. It would be more revealing to discover which butcher shop accepts
Sheldon's business. If such a place did exist (which I doubt), one could then
determine the circumstances under which they accede to any demand Shelley
might make of them. E.g., does it involve Shelley waving a gun around? Or
maybe Shelley is so far gone that he doesn't notice how much they charge him
for extra services. Or, given Shelley's longtime affliction with "TIAD", are
they actualy selling him pigeon guts and telling him it's prime beef filet?
Anything is possible where Shelley's concerned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> >
> > I did call to ask if they'd remove the bone and tie the ham and leave me
> > the bone to use for soup. "Of course!" Seems to me Sheldon mentioned an
> > extra charge for that service. The butcher was surprised when I asked;
> > the answer was, "Of course not!"

> I've never been to a supermarket yet that wouldn't do that for you at no
> charge. I like to see employees get holidays off too.

But, but . . . Sheldon said they'd charge extra.
When has he ever been wrong before?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2013 1:24 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> I did call to ask if they'd remove the bone and tie the ham and leave
>> me the bone to use for soup. "Of course!" Seems to me Sheldon
>> mentioned an extra charge for that service. The butcher was surprised
>> when I asked; the answer was, "Of course not!"
>>
>> What did surprise me is they'll be closed on Easter. It's been a
>> great many years since I saw a grocery store that wasn't open at least
>> for a few hours on holidays. No worries here. I'm glad they're
>> getting the day off.
>>
>> Jill

> I've never been to a supermarket yet that wouldn't do that for you at no
> charge. I like to see employees get holidays off too.
>
> Cheri

I've never bought a ham (and still haven't decided I will) but yes, I
called and asked about them boning and tying it for me and reserving the
soup bone.

I do like to see the employees get holidays off. Retail has gotten so
out of hand. I don't see any reason for most stores to be open 24/7.
(Pharmacies would be an exception.) To my way of thinking, if you
didn't plan ahead and forget to buy something, too bad. Lots of stores
didn't used to be open on holidays. Somehow everyone managed to deal
with it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:04:32 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> Just got the Publix weekly sales flyer and of course it's about Easter
>
> deals. $1.69/lb for bone-in half (smoked) hams. Since the Easter
>
> thread I thought hmmmm, maybe I'll buy a ham. No law says I have to put
>
> glaze, cloves, pineapple and marachino cherries on it, right?
>

> I did call to ask if they'd remove the bone and tie the ham and leave me
>
> the bone to use for soup. "Of course!" Seems to me Sheldon mentioned
>
> an extra charge for that service. The butcher was surprised when I
>
> asked; the answer was, "Of course not!"
>

> What did surprise me is they'll be closed on Easter. It's been a great
>
> many years since I saw a grocery store that wasn't open at least for a
>
> few hours on holidays. No worries here. I'm glad they're getting the
>
> day off.
>

> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:04:32 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> Just got the Publix weekly sales flyer and of course it's about Easter
>
> deals. $1.69/lb for bone-in half (smoked) hams. Since the Easter
>
> thread I thought hmmmm, maybe I'll buy a ham. No law says I have to put
>
> glaze, cloves, pineapple and marachino cherries on it, right?
>

> I did call to ask if they'd remove the bone and tie the ham and leave me
>
> the bone to use for soup. "Of course!" Seems to me Sheldon mentioned
>
> an extra charge for that service. The butcher was surprised when I
>
> asked; the answer was, "Of course not!"
>

> What did surprise me is they'll be closed on Easter. It's been a great
>
> many years since I saw a grocery store that wasn't open at least for a
>
> few hours on holidays. No worries here. I'm glad they're getting the
>
> day off.
>

> Jill

Jill, Publix has always given their employees off on the Holidays of Christmas, Easter, and, I think Thanksgiving. We live in Greenville, SC and our son works at Bi-Lo, which is always open, except Christmas I think. Our son missed our Thanksgiving day meal about 10 years ago, and I was furious. Publix is a fine place to do business, just a little more spendy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2013 6:35 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/21/2013 1:24 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> I did call to ask if they'd remove the bone and tie the ham and leave
>>> me the bone to use for soup. "Of course!" Seems to me Sheldon
>>> mentioned an extra charge for that service. The butcher was surprised
>>> when I asked; the answer was, "Of course not!"
>>>
>>> What did surprise me is they'll be closed on Easter. It's been a
>>> great many years since I saw a grocery store that wasn't open at least
>>> for a few hours on holidays. No worries here. I'm glad they're
>>> getting the day off.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I've never been to a supermarket yet that wouldn't do that for you at no
>> charge. I like to see employees get holidays off too.
>>
>> Cheri

> I've never bought a ham (and still haven't decided I will) but yes, I
> called and asked about them boning and tying it for me and reserving the
> soup bone.
>
> I do like to see the employees get holidays off. Retail has gotten so
> out of hand. I don't see any reason for most stores to be open 24/7.
> (Pharmacies would be an exception.) To my way of thinking, if you
> didn't plan ahead and forget to buy something, too bad. Lots of stores
> didn't used to be open on holidays. Somehow everyone managed to deal
> with it.
>
> Jill

My regular store isn't open 24/7 but they're usually open on holidays.
Their pharmacy, which is what my doctors send my prescriptions to, are
open even fewer hours than the store.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2013 7:39 PM, Libby wrote:
> On Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:04:32 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>> Just got the Publix weekly sales flyer and of course it's about Easter
>> deals. $1.69/lb for bone-in half (smoked) hams.
>>
>> What did surprise me is they'll be closed on Easter. It's been a great
>> many years since I saw a grocery store that wasn't open at least for a
> > few hours on holidays. No worries here. I'm glad they're getting the
>> day off.
>>
>> Jill

> Jill, Publix has always given their employees off on the Holidays of Christmas, Easter, and, I think Thanksgiving. We live in Greenville, SC and our son works at Bi-Lo, which is always open, except Christmas I think. Our son missed our Thanksgiving day meal about 10 years ago, and I was furious. Publix is a fine place to do business, just a little more spendy.

Publix was open on Thanksgiving in Beaufort. I don't know if they were
open on Christmas but I seem to recall seeing a sign the week before
saying they'd be open until Noon.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Libby replied to Jill:

>> What did surprise me is they'll be closed on Easter. It's been a great

> Jill, Publix has always given their employees off on the Holidays of
> Christmas, Easter, and, I think Thanksgiving. We live in Greenville, SC
> and our son works at Bi-Lo, which is always open, except Christmas I
> think. Our son missed our Thanksgiving day meal about 10 years ago, and I
> was furious. Publix is a fine place to do business, just a little more
> spendy.

When I worked at Publix in the late 1970s, they were closed *every* Sunday.
They even ran TV ads about it, saying, "See you at church." Obviously the
Almighty Dollar trumped the Almighty.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2013 10:20 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Libby replied to Jill:
>
>>> What did surprise me is they'll be closed on Easter. It's been a great

>> Jill, Publix has always given their employees off on the Holidays of
>> Christmas, Easter, and, I think Thanksgiving. We live in Greenville, SC
>> and our son works at Bi-Lo, which is always open, except Christmas I
>> think. Our son missed our Thanksgiving day meal about 10 years ago, and I
>> was furious. Publix is a fine place to do business, just a little more
>> spendy.

> When I worked at Publix in the late 1970s, they were closed *every* Sunday.
> They even ran TV ads about it, saying, "See you at church." Obviously the
> Almighty Dollar trumped the Almighty.

Growing up, where I lived, no store were open on Sunday. This meant
you had to get all your stuff done on Saturday. Go to the mall, go
to the supermarket. Hey, I'm still not an evening shopper unless I'm
desperate.

Very annoying and I was glad when they got rid of that particular blue
law.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:04:32 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> Just got the Publix weekly sales flyer and of course it's about Easter
>
> deals. $1.69/lb for bone-in half (smoked) hams. Since the Easter
>
> thread I thought hmmmm, maybe I'll buy a ham. No law says I have to put
>
> glaze, cloves, pineapple and marachino cherries on it, right?
>

> I did call to ask if they'd remove the bone and tie the ham and leave me
>
> the bone to use for soup. "Of course!" Seems to me Sheldon mentioned
>
> an extra charge for that service. The butcher was surprised when I
>
> asked; the answer was, "Of course not!"
>

> What did surprise me is they'll be closed on Easter. It's been a great
>
> many years since I saw a grocery store that wasn't open at least for a
>
> few hours on holidays. No worries here. I'm glad they're getting the
>
> day off.
>

> Jill

Chick Filet is still closed on Sunday as far as I know. It seemed closed everytime we thought about going there - and it was always Sunday. We also lived through the blue laws in Chattanooga, moved to Greenville in the late 70's, and had to live through them again! It was funny that you could buy some things, like panty hose, if it was an item that could be worn to church!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Just got the Publix weekly sales flyer and of course it's about Easter
> deals. $1.69/lb for bone-in half (smoked) hams. Since the Easter
> thread I thought hmmmm, maybe I'll buy a ham. No law says I have to put
> glaze, cloves, pineapple and marachino cherries on it, right?
> I did call to ask if they'd remove the bone and tie the ham and leave me
> the bone to use for soup. "Of course!" Seems to me Sheldon mentioned
> an extra charge for that service. The butcher was surprised when I
> asked; the answer was, "Of course not!"

Clean out your ears... I've always said there'd be NO charge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2013 10:20 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Libby replied to Jill:
>
>>> What did surprise me is they'll be closed on Easter. It's been a great

>> Jill, Publix has always given their employees off on the Holidays of
>> Christmas, Easter, and, I think Thanksgiving. We live in Greenville, SC
>> and our son works at Bi-Lo, which is always open, except Christmas I
>> think. Our son missed our Thanksgiving day meal about 10 years ago, and I
>> was furious. Publix is a fine place to do business, just a little more
>> spendy.

> When I worked at Publix in the late 1970s, they were closed *every* Sunday.
> They even ran TV ads about it, saying, "See you at church." Obviously the
> Almighty Dollar trumped the Almighty.
>
> Bob

When I was a kid almost every store was closed on Sundays.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2013 10:44 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 3/22/2013 10:20 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Libby replied to Jill:

>>> Jill, Publix has always given their employees off on the Holidays of
>>> Christmas, Easter, and, I think Thanksgiving. We live in Greenville, SC
>>> and our son works at Bi-Lo, which is always open, except Christmas I
>>> think. Our son missed our Thanksgiving day meal about 10 years ago,
>>> and I
>>> was furious. Publix is a fine place to do business, just a little more
>>> spendy.

>> When I worked at Publix in the late 1970s, they were closed *every*
>> Sunday.
>> They even ran TV ads about it, saying, "See you at church." Obviously the
>> Almighty Dollar trumped the Almighty.

> Growing up, where I lived, no store were open on Sunday. This meant you
> had to get all your stuff done on Saturday. Go to the mall, go
> to the supermarket. Hey, I'm still not an evening shopper unless I'm
> desperate.
>
> Very annoying and I was glad when they got rid of that particular blue
> law.
>
> nancy

My county still has blue laws for liquor stores. Surrounding counties
overturned it years ago, but not this one, and even another county close
by that has the same blue law is voting to overturn it now. No word for
this county.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 10:44:05 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>Growing up, where I lived, no store were open on Sunday. This meant
>you had to get all your stuff done on Saturday. Go to the mall, go
>to the supermarket. Hey, I'm still not an evening shopper unless I'm
>desperate.
>
>Very annoying and I was glad when they got rid of that particular blue
>law.
>
>nancy

Many years ago I thought about opening a retail business. I'm
certainly glad I did not. I like the five day work week. As kids, we
did things with the family on Sunday, such as visit grandparents,
dinner with aunts and uncles. Now everyone goes shopping. We try to
avoid it on Sundays.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 22, 9:12*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 10:44:05 -0400, Nancy Young
>
> > wrote:
>
> >Growing up, where I lived, no store were open on Sunday. *This meant
> >you had to get all your stuff done on Saturday. *Go to the mall, go
> >to the supermarket. *Hey, I'm still not an evening shopper unless I'm
> >desperate.

> >Very annoying and I was glad when they got rid of that particular blue
> >law.

> Many years ago I thought about opening a retail business. *I'm
> certainly glad I did not. *I like the five day work week. *As kids, we
> did things with the family on Sunday, such as visit grandparents,
> dinner with aunts and uncles. *Now everyone goes shopping. *We try to
> avoid it on Sundays.

In the Bay Area mom and pop businesses are commonly closed on Sundays
-- which can be really irritating. And few restaurants are open for
lunch as opposed to brunch.

I know one business you might have liked -- a classmate's family ran
one, and I still see them advertised for sale: the five-day industrial
cafe/deli. It opens early for breakfast, and closes around 2-3 pm. The
customers are all from the adjacent businesses, so things are dead on
weekends, especially Sundays.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2013 11:03 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 3/22/2013 10:44 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Growing up, where I lived, no store were open on Sunday. This meant you
>> had to get all your stuff done on Saturday. Go to the mall, go
>> to the supermarket. Hey, I'm still not an evening shopper unless I'm
>> desperate.
>>
>> Very annoying and I was glad when they got rid of that particular blue
>> law.

> My county still has blue laws for liquor stores. Surrounding counties
> overturned it years ago, but not this one, and even another county close
> by that has the same blue law is voting to overturn it now. No word for
> this county.

Liquor stores are closed, so I guess everyone goes to church and
sits around all afternoon memorizing the catechism. Heh.

Their reasons for keeping the laws have probably changed from the
original intent. I could live with that, if nothing else, it's easy
enough to stock up on Saturday. We have blue laws regarding liquor
stores, too, I just wouldn't notice them. They can only be open after
10am or such.

It was more annoying when I couldn't get food, or a pair of pantyhose
for work the next day.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2013 12:12 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 10:44:05 -0400, Nancy Young

>> Growing up, where I lived, no store were open on Sunday. This meant
>> you had to get all your stuff done on Saturday. Go to the mall, go
>> to the supermarket. Hey, I'm still not an evening shopper unless I'm
>> desperate.
>>
>> Very annoying and I was glad when they got rid of that particular blue
>> law.

> Many years ago I thought about opening a retail business. I'm
> certainly glad I did not. I like the five day work week.

It's not easy, owning a business dealing with the public.

> As kids, we
> did things with the family on Sunday, such as visit grandparents,
> dinner with aunts and uncles. Now everyone goes shopping. We try to
> avoid it on Sundays.

I avoid shopping on the weekends, but that's a luxury I am lucky to
have, but when I was working, I appreciated having two days to get
my shopping/etc chores done. Even getting projects around the house
taken care of, Oh, I need a widget. Too bad, store's closed, we can
pick this up again next weekend.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2013 11:03 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> My county still has blue laws for liquor stores. Surrounding counties
> overturned it years ago, but not this one, and even another county close
> by that has the same blue law is voting to overturn it now. No word for
> this county.

Some of those liquor laws are just plain silly. Don't sell it on
Sunday! Yeah, because no one is smart enough to stock up on Saturday.
And of course, not selling it will force everyone to go to church.

John and I were in some small midwest town for an art show, I forget
where. We stopped at a restaurant and the building was smack dab on the
dividing line between two counties. One county was "dry", the other was
"wet". So if you sat on one side of the restaurant you could order a
drink with your meal. On the other side you couldn't. That was weird.

In Shelby County, TN you couldn't buy wine in a grocery store. You had
to get it from a liquor store. And stores that sold liquor and wine
couldn't sell beer. Uh, what? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. LOL

I remember visiting my parents in the 1990's; Mom and I went to the
grocery store. I was going to make veal piccata for dinner. I needed a
bottle of white wine, if for nothing else than deglazing the pan for the
sauce. It was Memorial Day. At the checkout stand the woman took away
the bottle saying, "Oh, we can't sell you this. It's a holiday."
You've got to be kidding. (I did still make veal piccata so I worked
around it somehow.)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 08:18:00 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>I avoid shopping on the weekends, but that's a luxury I am lucky to
>have, but when I was working, I appreciated having two days to get
>my shopping/etc chores done. Even getting projects around the house
>taken care of, Oh, I need a widget. Too bad, store's closed, we can
>pick this up again next weekend.
>
>nancy

Times and lifestyles have changed. I read that Sunday is the biggest
single day of the week for supermarkets.

Used to be decades ago, mom did the shopping during the week because
mom stayed home. I don't know the statistics, but in the 50's, it was
probably 10% working versus 61% not at home these days.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/workin...er-statistics/

With us, Saturday is when we do most of the household chores and
Sunday is a day to relax, take a ride, etc. Grocery shopping is
usually during the week in the evening. The stores are pretty empty
on a Wednesday night.

Sure, we sometimes run to the store on a Sunday, but if it was closed,
we'd get by like we did years ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 09:37:45 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>In Shelby County, TN you couldn't buy wine in a grocery store. You had
>to get it from a liquor store. And stores that sold liquor and wine
>couldn't sell beer. Uh, what? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. LOL

PA is about the same. You can buy take out beer in a bar or deli, but
limited to a six pack or a couple of quarts or so, but if you go to a
beer distributor, you can buy a case, but not a six pack or quart.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 10:17*am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 09:37:45 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> >In Shelby County, TN you couldn't buy wine in a grocery store. *You had
> >to get it from a liquor store. *And stores that sold liquor and wine
> >couldn't sell beer. *Uh, what? *Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. LOL

> PA is about the same. *You can buy take out beer in a bar or deli, but
> limited to a six pack or a couple of quarts or so, but if you go to a
> beer distributor, you can buy a case, but not a six pack or quart.

PA's weird liquor laws helped keep the smaller breweries, like Straub
or Yuengling, alive, in the pre-microbrew days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:01:53 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 3/22/2013 10:20 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > Libby replied to Jill:

> >> Jill, Publix has always given their employees off on the Holidays of
> >> Christmas, Easter, and, I think Thanksgiving. We live in Greenville, SC
> >> and our son works at Bi-Lo, which is always open, except Christmas I
> >> think. Our son missed our Thanksgiving day meal about 10 years ago, and I
> >> was furious. Publix is a fine place to do business, just a little more
> >> spendy.

> > When I worked at Publix in the late 1970s, they were closed *every* Sunday.
> > They even ran TV ads about it, saying, "See you at church." Obviously the
> > Almighty Dollar trumped the Almighty.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> When I was a kid almost every store was closed on Sundays.

Yes! Did you ever experience stores that closed Wednesday afternoon
and were open Saturday morning but closed by sometime in the early
afternoon? My family called it Banker's Hours, because that's how the
bank did it (it closed by noon sharp, but I think stores stayed open a
little later).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2013 2:06 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:01:53 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/22/2013 10:20 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>> Libby replied to Jill:

>>> When I worked at Publix in the late 1970s, they were closed *every* Sunday.
>>> They even ran TV ads about it, saying, "See you at church." Obviously the
>>> Almighty Dollar trumped the Almighty.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> When I was a kid almost every store was closed on Sundays.

> Yes! Did you ever experience stores that closed Wednesday afternoon
> and were open Saturday morning but closed by sometime in the early
> afternoon? My family called it Banker's Hours, because that's how the
> bank did it (it closed by noon sharp, but I think stores stayed open a
> little later).

The Post Office works that way here. Open until Noon on Wednesdays and
Saturdays. I remember when they weren't open on weekends at all, which
was fine with me. But the only being open half a day on Wednesday was
new to me until I moved here to SC. Of course they still pick up and
deliver the mail on those days but the "stores" aren't open after 12pm.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2013 1:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:03:37 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>

>> My county still has blue laws for liquor stores. Surrounding counties
>> overturned it years ago, but not this one, and even another county close
>> by that has the same blue law is voting to overturn it now. No word for
>> this county.

> CT now allows liquor stores to be open Sunday. Most stores have the
> same weekly sales, just spread over seven days instead of six and they
> have higher labor cost to open longer hours.
>
> Most store owners were against it for that reason. People got used to
> when the store was open a bought accordingly. Our legislators wee
> trying to stiffen the drunk driving rules in the same session they
> wanted to foster more liquor sales.

The weird thing I notice here is that during football season, if the
local teams are in the playoffs they'll open on Sunday. I wonder how
they can get away with that? I haven't really noticed lately but I
haven't looked. It was years ago and I saw a sign on the door of a
liquor store that said they'd be open Sunday "for the games".

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2013 9:37 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/22/2013 11:03 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> My county still has blue laws for liquor stores. Surrounding counties
>> overturned it years ago, but not this one, and even another county close
>> by that has the same blue law is voting to overturn it now. No word for
>> this county.

> Some of those liquor laws are just plain silly. Don't sell it on
> Sunday! Yeah, because no one is smart enough to stock up on Saturday.
> And of course, not selling it will force everyone to go to church.
>
> John and I were in some small midwest town for an art show, I forget
> where. We stopped at a restaurant and the building was smack dab on the
> dividing line between two counties. One county was "dry", the other was
> "wet". So if you sat on one side of the restaurant you could order a
> drink with your meal. On the other side you couldn't. That was weird.
>
> In Shelby County, TN you couldn't buy wine in a grocery store. You had
> to get it from a liquor store. And stores that sold liquor and wine
> couldn't sell beer. Uh, what? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. LOL
>
> I remember visiting my parents in the 1990's; Mom and I went to the
> grocery store. I was going to make veal piccata for dinner. I needed a
> bottle of white wine, if for nothing else than deglazing the pan for the
> sauce. It was Memorial Day. At the checkout stand the woman took away
> the bottle saying, "Oh, we can't sell you this. It's a holiday." You've
> got to be kidding. (I did still make veal piccata so I worked around it
> somehow.)
>
> Jill

Grocery stores here don't sell beer or wine at all. Oh, there's an odd
one, same with gas stations or 7/11. Even one county over they only
sell "hard" liquor in ABC stores.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 11:06:07 -0700, sf > wrote:

>Yes! Did you ever experience stores that closed Wednesday afternoon
>and were open Saturday morning but closed by sometime in the early
>afternoon? My family called it Banker's Hours, because that's how the
>bank did it (it closed by noon sharp, but I think stores stayed open a
>little later).

I think that was started to save energy during WWII. Into the 1980's
we had a few stores in town following those hours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jmcquown > wrote:

> What did surprise me is they'll be closed on Easter. It's been a great
> many years since I saw a grocery store that wasn't open at least for a
> few hours on holidays. No worries here. I'm glad they're getting the
> day off.
>
> Jill

Huh. Around here all or almost all the supermarkets are closed on
Easter and Christmas, typically staying open (for the Easter holiday)
until midnight Saturday, then closing until 6:00 a.m. Monday. Same goes
for Christmas except they might close around 5:00 or so on Christmas
Eve, re-opening at 6:00 a.m. on December 26.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of February 10, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2013 11:29 PM, Cheryl wrote:

> Grocery stores here don't sell beer or wine at all. Oh, there's an odd
> one, same with gas stations or 7/11. Even one county over they only
> sell "hard" liquor in ABC stores.

They didn't sell wine in grocery stores where I lived (Shelby County)
but they did sell beer. They couldn't sell it until after 12pm on
Sunday, though, because before Noon by golly! you should be in church!
A couple of years ago here in Beaufort County they tried to ban the sale
of alcohol on Christmas. Again with the religious implications, which
annoys me. For many people December 25th is just another day.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> Grocery stores here don't sell beer or wine at all.

Where is "here"? Everywhere I've been in the US grocery stores may
not sell wine but all sold beer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
news
> Cheryl wrote:
>>
>> Grocery stores here don't sell beer or wine at all.

> Where is "here"? Everywhere I've been in the US grocery stores may
> not sell wine but all sold beer.

Florida comes to mind. South Carolina comes to mind.
California comes to mind. New York is one of only 15
states that prohibit wine sales in supermarkets.
<http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/supermarket-wine-scout>

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/24/2013 2:04 PM, pavane wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> news
>> Cheryl wrote:
>>>
>>> Grocery stores here don't sell beer or wine at all.

>> Where is "here"? Everywhere I've been in the US grocery stores may
>> not sell wine but all sold beer.

> Florida comes to mind. South Carolina comes to mind.
> California comes to mind. New York is one of only 15
> states that prohibit wine sales in supermarkets.
> <http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/supermarket-wine-scout>
>
> pavane

He wasn't asking about wine, he was asking about sales of beer.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/24/2013 2:04 PM, pavane wrote:
>>

>> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Where is "here"? Everywhere I've been in the US grocery stores may
>>> not sell wine but all sold beer.

>> Florida comes to mind. South Carolina comes to mind.
>> California comes to mind. New York is one of only 15
>> states that prohibit wine sales in supermarkets.
>> <http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/supermarket-wine-scout>
>>
>> pavane

> He wasn't asking about wine, he was asking about sales of beer.

What he wrote was "Everywhere I've been in the US grocery
stores may not sell wine..." Can you understand that?

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/24/2013 2:04 PM, pavane wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> news
>> Cheryl wrote:
>>>
>>> Grocery stores here don't sell beer or wine at all.

>> Where is "here"? Everywhere I've been in the US grocery stores may
>> not sell wine but all sold beer.

> Florida comes to mind. South Carolina comes to mind.
> California comes to mind. New York is one of only 15
> states that prohibit wine sales in supermarkets.
> <http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/supermarket-wine-scout>
>
> pavane

AFAIK, supermarkets without a liquor license don't sell alcoholic beers
in my county. After prohibition, alcohol sales went to local option in
Maryland but only State liquor stores can sell spirits in Montgomery County.

I was surprised to see beer on sale 30 years ago in a market in Moab,
Utah but, even if alcoholic, it was "near beer".
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 14:04:47 -0400, "pavane" > wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>news
>> Cheryl wrote:
>>>
>>> Grocery stores here don't sell beer or wine at all.

>> Where is "here"? Everywhere I've been in the US grocery stores may
>> not sell wine but all sold beer.

>Florida comes to mind. South Carolina comes to mind.
>California comes to mind. New York is one of only 15
>states that prohibit wine sales in supermarkets.
><http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/supermarket-wine-scout>
>
>pavane

Um, they all sell BEER!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PERV-ANUS" wrote:
>"jmcquown" wrote:
>>PERV-ANUS wrote:
>>> "Brooklyn1":

>>> Florida comes to mind. South Carolina comes to mind.
>>> California comes to mind. New York is one of only 15
>>> states that prohibit wine sales in supermarkets.
>>> <http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/supermarket-wine-scout>
>>>
>>> pavane

>> He wasn't asking about wine, he was asking about sales of beer.

>What he wrote was "Everywhere I've been in the US grocery
>stores may not sell wine..." Can you understand that?
>
>perv-anus

You illiterate POS.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/24/2013 2:20 PM, pavane wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 3/24/2013 2:04 PM, pavane wrote:

>>> Florida comes to mind. South Carolina comes to mind.
>>> California comes to mind. New York is one of only 15
>>> states that prohibit wine sales in supermarkets.
>>> <http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/supermarket-wine-scout>
>>>
>>> pavane

>> He wasn't asking about wine, he was asking about sales of beer.

> What he wrote was "Everywhere I've been in the US grocery
> stores may not sell wine..."

Can you understand that?

> pavane

What I *DO* understand is you conveniently snipped where he wrote, "may
not sell wine but all sold beer". I agree with Sheldon; I've never
lived anywhere where a grocery store didn't sell beer.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/03/2013 2:36 PM, James Silverton wrote:

> AFAIK, supermarkets without a liquor license don't sell alcoholic beers
> in my county. After prohibition, alcohol sales went to local option in
> Maryland but only State liquor stores can sell spirits in Montgomery
> County.
>
> I was surprised to see beer on sale 30 years ago in a market in Moab,
> Utah but, even if alcoholic, it was "near beer".

There are a couple corner stores in the Niagara region of southern
Ontario that sell beer and wine and there are some grocery stores that
have wine kiosks, but only for specific wineries to sell their own
products. The is some talk of allowing more corner stores and groceries
to sell beer wine and liquor, but there is a lot of opposition to it. It
is not all teetottlers that are against it. A lot of us are concerned
about the major producers overwhelming the market and squeezing out the
little guys with the good products. Even the smallest LCBO stores offer
a wide range or products, and if the local store does not have something
they will order it for you.

The corner stores that sell beer wine and liquor have very limited
selection and stick only to the major labels. I remember being very
unimpressed with the private liquor stores in Colorado. One place was
about the size of a small grocery except with only a few rows of
shelves. They had only two or three whites, ambers and dark rums, a
couple different types of Scotch, vodka and gin. There was a very
limited selection of wines. The little liquor store in our town is
probably only 1;5th as large but has 10 times the selection.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/24/2013 2:20 PM, pavane wrote:

>>> He wasn't asking about wine, he was asking about sales of beer.

>> What he wrote was "Everywhere I've been in the US grocery
>> stores may not sell wine..."
> >

> Can you understand that?
>>
>> pavane

> What I *DO* understand is you conveniently snipped where he wrote, "may
> not sell wine but all sold beer". I agree with Sheldon; I've never lived
> anywhere where a grocery store didn't sell beer.

Try Pennsylvania, you illiterate and nasty little muffin.:

<http://articles.mcall.com/2013-02-17/news/mc-allentown-state-stores-retail-20130217_1_beer-and-wine-convenience-stores-beer-distributors>

Grocery, retail chains ready to pounce if state dumps state stores.
Beer distributors worry they won't be able to compete, especially
with big-box stores.
February 17, 2013 |By Scott Kraus, Of The Morning Call
If there's one business group ready to pounce if Pennsylvania gets
out of the wine and liquor business, it's retailers.

"We are certainly prepared, should the privatization proposal move
forward, because we have the infrastructure to begin selling beer
and wine in our stores," said Chris Brand, spokesman for Giant
supermarkets. "We already do it in states where it's permitted by law."

Or Colorado:

<http://www.coloradostatesman.com/content/993895-another-beer-bill-tap-legislature>

Colorado law prohibits the sale of full-strength beer - as well as
wine and liquor - in most supermarkets and convenience stores.
A provision of state law only permits owners to hold one liquor
license, which is why so-called "big-box stores" like Target and
Rite Aid have one flagship location where they sell full-strength
beer, wine and liquor. All the other locations are restricted to
selling 3.2 percent or lower beer, known as "near beer."

pavane