Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Alfredo makes my stomach sick

What is in Alfredo that makes my stomach sick?

It gives me bad cramps and severe diarreah. I thought it was just the
Alfredo spaghetti sauce. After having the same results from several
different brands, I decided to no longer buy it, even though I'll miss
it, because I've gotten real tired of tomato based spaghetti sauces.
But as sick as my stomach gets, I quit buying it. A few days ago, a
local pizza place had a special on slices. I grabbed a slice of their
regular pepperoni, which I've had many times. They also had a new
Alfredo cheese with 4 other cheeses pizza. One slice of that stuff, and
I was sicker than I've gotten on the spag. sauce.

From now on, if it says "Alfredo" on the label, I avoid it.

But I am curoius what cause such extreme stomach flare-up from eating
it. Being older, my stomach dont tolerate some foods as well as when I
was young, but overall, I can eat most foods without too much trouble.
At the same time, I am lactose intolarant to a certain degree. If I was
to drink 20 oz of milk, I'd be sorry I did it, yet I can drink 4 oz and
not have any significant problems. And I tend to eat quite a bit of
cheese and cheese dont seem to bother me much at all. (referring to
block cheeses such as colby, swiss, cheddar, etc and american cheese or
that processed stuff.) I can eat cheese spread on crackers too, and not
have a problem.

Anyhow, there is something about Alfredo that seriously disagrees with
me, apparently even in small amounts. I just wish I know what it was.

What makes it different than other cheeses?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> What is in Alfredo that makes my stomach sick?
>
> It gives me bad cramps and severe diarreah. I thought it was just the
> Alfredo spaghetti sauce. After having the same results from several
> different brands, I decided to no longer buy it, even though I'll miss
> it, because I've gotten real tired of tomato based spaghetti sauces.
> But as sick as my stomach gets, I quit buying it. A few days ago, a
> local pizza place had a special on slices. I grabbed a slice of their
> regular pepperoni, which I've had many times. They also had a new
> Alfredo cheese with 4 other cheeses pizza. One slice of that stuff,
> and I was sicker than I've gotten on the spag. sauce.
>
> From now on, if it says "Alfredo" on the label, I avoid it.
>
> But I am curoius what cause such extreme stomach flare-up from eating
> it. Being older, my stomach dont tolerate some foods as well as when
> I was young, but overall, I can eat most foods without too much
> trouble. At the same time, I am lactose intolarant to a certain
> degree. If I was to drink 20 oz of milk, I'd be sorry I did it, yet
> I can drink 4 oz and not have any significant problems. And I tend
> to eat quite a bit of cheese and cheese dont seem to bother me much
> at all. (referring to block cheeses such as colby, swiss, cheddar,
> etc and american cheese or that processed stuff.) I can eat cheese
> spread on crackers too, and not have a problem.
>
> Anyhow, there is something about Alfredo that seriously disagrees with
> me, apparently even in small amounts. I just wish I know what it was.
>
> What makes it different than other cheeses?

A couple of thoughts - first, you may have some sort of stomach bug that
limits your tolerance of rich foods. Alfredo sauce is quite rich.
We've had several instances of something like this in our family over
the years - you get a stomach bug, you get over it - you think - but all
of sudden, you seem to have a more sensitive stomach. The solution,
recommend by doctors to us, was to simply take it easy and eat carefully
for a few weeks or months, limiting any food which caused a problem and
introducing those foods gradually back into our diet but only after at
least a few weeks of no stomach problems.

Well, I'll stop there - stay away from Alfredo sauce and other rich
foods for at least a few weeks, introduce them back into your diet
gradually, and see where you are.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> What is in Alfredo that makes my stomach sick?
>
> It gives me bad cramps and severe diarreah. I thought it was just the
> Alfredo spaghetti sauce. After having the same results from several
> different brands, I decided to no longer buy it, even though I'll miss
> it, because I've gotten real tired of tomato based spaghetti sauces.
> But as sick as my stomach gets, I quit buying it. A few days ago, a
> local pizza place had a special on slices. I grabbed a slice of their
> regular pepperoni, which I've had many times. They also had a new
> Alfredo cheese with 4 other cheeses pizza. One slice of that stuff, and
> I was sicker than I've gotten on the spag. sauce.
>
> From now on, if it says "Alfredo" on the label, I avoid it.
>
> But I am curoius what cause such extreme stomach flare-up from eating
> it. Being older, my stomach dont tolerate some foods as well as when I
> was young, but overall, I can eat most foods without too much trouble.
> At the same time, I am lactose intolarant to a certain degree. If I was
> to drink 20 oz of milk, I'd be sorry I did it, yet I can drink 4 oz and
> not have any significant problems. And I tend to eat quite a bit of
> cheese and cheese dont seem to bother me much at all. (referring to
> block cheeses such as colby, swiss, cheddar, etc and american cheese or
> that processed stuff.) I can eat cheese spread on crackers too, and not
> have a problem.
>
> Anyhow, there is something about Alfredo that seriously disagrees with
> me, apparently even in small amounts. I just wish I know what it was.
>
> What makes it different than other cheeses?

Sounds like a food intolerance but it could also be something else. If you
have problems with your pancreas or gallbladder, you may have problems
digesting fats and/or dairy.

It might be lactose intolerance but I don't really know. That isn't my
problem so I never looked into it much.

Bottom line, if it makes you sick just don't eat it!

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
What is in Alfredo that makes my stomach sick?

It gives me bad cramps and severe diarreah. I thought it was just the
Alfredo spaghetti sauce. After having the same results from several
different brands, I decided to no longer buy it, even though I'll miss
it, because I've gotten real tired of tomato based spaghetti sauces.
But as sick as my stomach gets, I quit buying it. A few days ago, a
local pizza place had a special on slices. I grabbed a slice of their
regular pepperoni, which I've had many times. They also had a new
Alfredo cheese with 4 other cheeses pizza. One slice of that stuff, and
I was sicker than I've gotten on the spag. sauce.

From now on, if it says "Alfredo" on the label, I avoid it.

But I am curoius what cause such extreme stomach flare-up from eating
it. Being older, my stomach dont tolerate some foods as well as when I
was young, but overall, I can eat most foods without too much trouble.
At the same time, I am lactose intolarant to a certain degree. If I was
to drink 20 oz of milk, I'd be sorry I did it, yet I can drink 4 oz and
not have any significant problems. And I tend to eat quite a bit of
cheese and cheese dont seem to bother me much at all. (referring to
block cheeses such as colby, swiss, cheddar, etc and american cheese or
that processed stuff.) I can eat cheese spread on crackers too, and not
have a problem.

Anyhow, there is something about Alfredo that seriously disagrees with
me, apparently even in small amounts. I just wish I know what it was.

What makes it different than other cheeses?
Lactose intolerance..and that crazy Alfredo stuff is loaded to the gills. Cream blah blah blah. I cant see how folks eat it. Way too rich for country folks. Its like trying to set down and knock out two boxes of Noodles Romanoff by yourself with no main course or other side dishes. Everybody's digestion goes South when we age. Get some Digestive Enzymes. They can help a bunch for some indiscretions but can't cure acute lactose intolerance. Also stay away from canola oil. That stuff can kill ya.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have the SAME problem at 28. I can eat cheese, processed cheese and even drink some milk. What is it about Alfredo that makes me suffer so after eating it? It's the jar and especially homemade. It's just upsetting because it tastes so amazing. 😢 I'm assuming it's IBS striking again. You know what gives me the very same problem? Little Caesars pizza with red sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ragu cheddar sauce is good heated and poured over plain Fritos.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il giorno giovedì 21 marzo 2013 14:12:28 UTC+1, ha scritto:
> What is in Alfredo that makes my stomach sick?
>
> It gives me bad cramps and severe diarreah. I thought it was just the
> Alfredo spaghetti sauce. After having the same results from several
> different brands, I decided to no longer buy it, even though I'll miss
> it, because I've gotten real tired of tomato based spaghetti sauces.
> But as sick as my stomach gets, I quit buying it. A few days ago, a
> local pizza place had a special on slices. I grabbed a slice of their
> regular pepperoni, which I've had many times. They also had a new
> Alfredo cheese with 4 other cheeses pizza. One slice of that stuff, and
> I was sicker than I've gotten on the spag. sauce.
>
> From now on, if it says "Alfredo" on the label, I avoid it.
>
> But I am curoius what cause such extreme stomach flare-up from eating
> it. Being older, my stomach dont tolerate some foods as well as when I
> was young, but overall, I can eat most foods without too much trouble.
> At the same time, I am lactose intolarant to a certain degree. If I was
> to drink 20 oz of milk, I'd be sorry I did it, yet I can drink 4 oz and
> not have any significant problems. And I tend to eat quite a bit of
> cheese and cheese dont seem to bother me much at all. (referring to
> block cheeses such as colby, swiss, cheddar, etc and american cheese or
> that processed stuff.) I can eat cheese spread on crackers too, and not
> have a problem.
>
> Anyhow, there is something about Alfredo that seriously disagrees with
> me, apparently even in small amounts. I just wish I know what it was.
>
> What makes it different than other cheeses?

Hi, I'm new here. My name's Di, and I live in Italy. Here, Fettuccine all'Alfredo doesn't have any cream in it. It's origin is from the Trattoria Da Alfredo in Via della Scrofa, Rome. It's simple and straightforward. You simply 'dress' the fettuccine with grated parmesan, butter, salt, black pepper and, optional, a little chopped sage. The original recipe doesn't have cream in it. I advise you buy a piece of parmesan cheese to grate, rather than but ready-grated, and don't overdo the butter. The use of cream is totally American, not Italian.

di
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il giorno giovedì 21 marzo 2013 14:12:28 UTC+1, ha scritto:
> What is in Alfredo that makes my stomach sick?
>
> It gives me bad cramps and severe diarreah. I thought it was just the
> Alfredo spaghetti sauce. After having the same results from several
> different brands, I decided to no longer buy it, even though I'll miss
> it, because I've gotten real tired of tomato based spaghetti sauces.
> But as sick as my stomach gets, I quit buying it. A few days ago, a
> local pizza place had a special on slices. I grabbed a slice of their
> regular pepperoni, which I've had many times. They also had a new
> Alfredo cheese with 4 other cheeses pizza. One slice of that stuff, and
> I was sicker than I've gotten on the spag. sauce.
>
> From now on, if it says "Alfredo" on the label, I avoid it.
>
> But I am curoius what cause such extreme stomach flare-up from eating
> it. Being older, my stomach dont tolerate some foods as well as when I
> was young, but overall, I can eat most foods without too much trouble.
> At the same time, I am lactose intolarant to a certain degree. If I was
> to drink 20 oz of milk, I'd be sorry I did it, yet I can drink 4 oz and
> not have any significant problems. And I tend to eat quite a bit of
> cheese and cheese dont seem to bother me much at all. (referring to
> block cheeses such as colby, swiss, cheddar, etc and american cheese or
> that processed stuff.) I can eat cheese spread on crackers too, and not
> have a problem.
>
> Anyhow, there is something about Alfredo that seriously disagrees with
> me, apparently even in small amounts. I just wish I know what it was.
>
> What makes it different than other cheeses?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-27, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> My guess is someone used cream to make it cheaper.

Yer cream is cheaper than butter!? Lucky you. I pay $4USD per pt of
cream (organic). I rarely spend more than $3.50USD lb fer butter.

> If you don't have one, consider getting a nice pasta bowl as it can
> be heated and it keeps the meal warm longer.

I've discovered that having a mirowavable bowl (one that doesn't
absorb much nuke rays) is more important. If the contents get hot w/o
the bowl becoming too hot, you gotta good m/w bowl.

Labels to the contrary! My fave is Churchill-ware, Made in UK. Takes
1-1/2 min nuke (1000W) to even get a plate decently warm!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 5:19:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> I have the SAME problem at 28. I can eat cheese, processed cheese and even drink some milk. What is it about Alfredo that makes me suffer so after eating it? It's the jar and especially homemade. It's just upsetting because it tastes so amazing. 😢 I'm assuming it's IBS striking again. You know what gives me the very same problem? Little Caesars pizza with red sauce.

At 28, you're old enough to refrain from eating things that make you
sick, no matter how yummy they are.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-27 10:52 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 5:19:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> I have the SAME problem at 28. I can eat cheese, processed cheese and even drink some milk. What is it about Alfredo that makes me suffer so after eating it? It's the jar and especially homemade. It's just upsetting because it tastes so amazing. 😢 I'm assuming it's IBS striking again. You know what gives me the very same problem? Little Caesars pizza with red sauce.

> At 28, you're old enough to refrain from eating things that make you
> sick, no matter how yummy they are.

it can take longer than that. Sometimes you grow up with indoctrination
about what is good for you and what isn't. Oranges and milk were things
that I had almost daily and which turned out to have been the cause of a
lot of gut discomfort.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2017 7:06 AM, wrote:
> Il giorno giovedì 21 marzo 2013 14:12:28 UTC+1, ha scritto:
>> What is in Alfredo that makes my stomach sick?
>>
>> It gives me bad cramps and severe diarreah. I thought it was just the
>> Alfredo spaghetti sauce. After having the same results from several
>> different brands, I decided to no longer buy it, even though I'll miss
>> it, because I've gotten real tired of tomato based spaghetti sauces.
>> But as sick as my stomach gets, I quit buying it. A few days ago, a
>> local pizza place had a special on slices. I grabbed a slice of their
>> regular pepperoni, which I've had many times. They also had a new
>> Alfredo cheese with 4 other cheeses pizza. One slice of that stuff, and
>> I was sicker than I've gotten on the spag. sauce.
>>
>> From now on, if it says "Alfredo" on the label, I avoid it.
>>
>> But I am curoius what cause such extreme stomach flare-up from eating
>> it. Being older, my stomach dont tolerate some foods as well as when I
>> was young, but overall, I can eat most foods without too much trouble.
>> At the same time, I am lactose intolarant to a certain degree. If I was
>> to drink 20 oz of milk, I'd be sorry I did it, yet I can drink 4 oz and
>> not have any significant problems. And I tend to eat quite a bit of
>> cheese and cheese dont seem to bother me much at all. (referring to
>> block cheeses such as colby, swiss, cheddar, etc and american cheese or
>> that processed stuff.) I can eat cheese spread on crackers too, and not
>> have a problem.
>>
>> Anyhow, there is something about Alfredo that seriously disagrees with
>> me, apparently even in small amounts. I just wish I know what it was.
>>
>> What makes it different than other cheeses?

> Hi, I'm new here. My name's Di, and I live in Italy. Here, Fettuccine all'Alfredo doesn't have any cream in it. It's origin is from the Trattoria Da Alfredo in Via della Scrofa, Rome. It's simple and straightforward. You simply 'dress' the fettuccine with grated parmesan, butter, salt, black pepper and, optional, a little chopped sage. The original recipe doesn't have cream in it. I advise you buy a piece of parmesan cheese to grate, rather than but ready-grated, and don't overdo the butter. The use of cream is totally American, not Italian.
>
> di

Di - where have you been? This group needs you!

What part of Italy do you live in?

Ciao.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 11:26:32 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-05-27 10:52 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 5:19:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> >> I have the SAME problem at 28. I can eat cheese, processed cheese and even drink some milk. What is it about Alfredo that makes me suffer so after eating it? It's the jar and especially homemade. It's just upsetting because it tastes so amazing. 😢 I'm assuming it's IBS striking again.. You know what gives me the very same problem? Little Caesars pizza with red sauce.

> > At 28, you're old enough to refrain from eating things that make you
> > sick, no matter how yummy they are.
> >

> it can take longer than that. Sometimes you grow up with indoctrination
> about what is good for you and what isn't. Oranges and milk were things
> that I had almost daily and which turned out to have been the cause of a
> lot of gut discomfort.

Is anybody indoctrinated to think alfredo from a jar is good for them?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 May 2017 09:44:28 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 11:26:32 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> >
>> > At 28, you're old enough to refrain from eating things that make you
>> > sick, no matter how yummy they are.
>> >

>> it can take longer than that. Sometimes you grow up with indoctrination
>> about what is good for you and what isn't. Oranges and milk were things
>> that I had almost daily and which turned out to have been the cause of a
>> lot of gut discomfort.

>Is anybody indoctrinated to think alfredo from a jar is good for them?

Lol. But it could still be interesting to know what it is about this
Alfredo that doesn't agree with one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 3:12:28 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> What is in Alfredo that makes my stomach sick?
>
> It gives me bad cramps and severe diarreah. I thought it was just the
> Alfredo spaghetti sauce. After having the same results from several
> different brands, I decided to no longer buy it, even though I'll miss
> it, because I've gotten real tired of tomato based spaghetti sauces.
> But as sick as my stomach gets, I quit buying it. A few days ago, a
> local pizza place had a special on slices. I grabbed a slice of their
> regular pepperoni, which I've had many times. They also had a new
> Alfredo cheese with 4 other cheeses pizza. One slice of that stuff, and
> I was sicker than I've gotten on the spag. sauce.
>
> From now on, if it says "Alfredo" on the label, I avoid it.
>
> But I am curoius what cause such extreme stomach flare-up from eating
> it. Being older, my stomach dont tolerate some foods as well as when I
> was young, but overall, I can eat most foods without too much trouble.
> At the same time, I am lactose intolarant to a certain degree. If I was
> to drink 20 oz of milk, I'd be sorry I did it, yet I can drink 4 oz and
> not have any significant problems. And I tend to eat quite a bit of
> cheese and cheese dont seem to bother me much at all. (referring to
> block cheeses such as colby, swiss, cheddar, etc and american cheese or
> that processed stuff.) I can eat cheese spread on crackers too, and not
> have a problem.
>
> Anyhow, there is something about Alfredo that seriously disagrees with
> me, apparently even in small amounts. I just wish I know what it was.
>
> What makes it different than other cheeses?

My guess is that you simply have problem with fats. Perhaps your gallbladder ain't what it used to be.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 27 May 2017 09:44:28 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> wrote: >> >> I have the SAME problem at 28. I
> can eat cheese, processed cheese and even drink some milk. What is it
> about Alfredo that makes me suffer so after eating it? It's the jar
> and especially homemade. It's just upsetting because it tastes so
> amazing. ? I'm assuming it's IBS striking again. You know what gives
> me the very same problem? Little Caesars pizza with red sauce. >> >

> you >> > sick, no matter how yummy they are. >> > >> >> >> it can
> take longer than that. Sometimes you grow up with indoctrination >>
> about what is good for you and what isn't. Oranges and milk were
> things >> that I had almost daily and which turned out to have been
> the cause of a >> lot of gut discomfort.
> >
> > Is anybody indoctrinated to think alfredo from a jar is good for
> > them?

> Lol. But it could still be interesting to know what it is about this
> Alfredo that doesn't agree with one.

Lactose most likely?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 May 2017 15:44:51 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Sat, 27 May 2017 09:44:28 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> wrote: >> >> I have the SAME problem at 28. I
>> can eat cheese, processed cheese and even drink some milk. What is it
>> about Alfredo that makes me suffer so after eating it? It's the jar
>> and especially homemade. It's just upsetting because it tastes so
>> amazing. ? I'm assuming it's IBS striking again. You know what gives
>> me the very same problem? Little Caesars pizza with red sauce. >> >

>> you >> > sick, no matter how yummy they are. >> > >> >> >> it can
>> take longer than that. Sometimes you grow up with indoctrination >>
>> about what is good for you and what isn't. Oranges and milk were
>> things >> that I had almost daily and which turned out to have been
>> the cause of a >> lot of gut discomfort.
>> >
>> > Is anybody indoctrinated to think alfredo from a jar is good for
>> > them?

>> Lol. But it could still be interesting to know what it is about this
>> Alfredo that doesn't agree with one.

>Lactose most likely?

But she said she "can eat cheese, processed cheese and even drink some
milk".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 May 2017 20:51:13 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 27 May 2017 01:19:40p, Bruce told us...
>
>> On Sat, 27 May 2017 09:44:28 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>>Is anybody indoctrinated to think alfredo from a jar is good for
>>>them?

>> Lol. But it could still be interesting to know what it is about
>> this Alfredo that doesn't agree with one.
>>

>Pasta could possibly be a problem if someone is wheat sensitive.

Yes, that could be.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-27, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Pasta could possibly be a problem if someone is wheat sensitive.

I jes watched What's With Wheat, a documentary about how to heal one's
self from "non-celiac gluten sensitivity". Problem is, what does one
eat? The What's With Wheat only charges $70USD for a non-gluten diet
plan. They are my pals (as if!). 8|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-27, The Newest Other Guy <new> wrote:

> If THAT bothers you, then you should quit eating.

Howzabout you quit eating and die!! We don't need yer kind. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-27 4:44 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> Lol. But it could still be interesting to know what it is about this
>> Alfredo that doesn't agree with one.

> Lactose most likely?

In my case it would be the combination of the two. I had all the
symptoms of gall bladder problems and finally got it out a couple years
ago. I am also lactose intolerant. I would never eat that sort of stuff
in a restaurant for fear of being stuck too far from a washroom.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-27 5:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 27 May 2017 15:44:51 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> On Sat, 27 May 2017 09:44:28 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>>> wrote: >> >> I have the SAME problem at 28. I
>>> can eat cheese, processed cheese and even drink some milk. What is it
>>> about Alfredo that makes me suffer so after eating it? It's the jar
>>> and especially homemade. It's just upsetting because it tastes so
>>> amazing. ? I'm assuming it's IBS striking again. You know what gives
>>> me the very same problem? Little Caesars pizza with red sauce. >> >
>>> you >> > sick, no matter how yummy they are. >> > >> >> >> it can
>>> take longer than that. Sometimes you grow up with indoctrination >>
>>> about what is good for you and what isn't. Oranges and milk were
>>> things >> that I had almost daily and which turned out to have been
>>> the cause of a >> lot of gut discomfort.

>>> Lol. But it could still be interesting to know what it is about this
>>> Alfredo that doesn't agree with one.

>> Lactose most likely?

> But she said she "can eat cheese, processed cheese and even drink some
> milk".

Some cheeses are worse than others. I don't have a problem with aged
cheddar, Brie or blue cheese. Mozzarella is the worst, though I don't
think it would be in al Fredo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-27, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Barilla makes gluten free pasta and is barely more expensive than their
> regular pasta. That should solve your problem with pasta dishes.

Fortunately, I don't like pasta. If it ain't mac/cheese, I can't use
it. The term, "gluten free" is a joke. Gluten free water, ice cream,
etc!? Gimme a freakin' break!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Did you mention parmesan? That's the cheese you need for al fredo.

Yes, and butter. The addition of cream is, as new poster Di from Italy
pointed out, an American addition.

Who knows why the OP can't eat it? If it made me sick ("It's the jar
and especially homemade"), I simply wouldn't eat it. Nothing that makes
me feel ill is worth eating.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2017 6:59 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-05-27, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Barilla makes gluten free pasta and is barely more expensive than their
>> regular pasta. That should solve your problem with pasta dishes.

> Fortunately, I don't like pasta. If it ain't mac/cheese, I can't use
> it. The term, "gluten free" is a joke. Gluten free water, ice cream,
> etc!? Gimme a freakin' break!
>
> nb

Yeah, but so is the term "organic", nb. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-27 6:40 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> But she said she "can eat cheese, processed cheese and even drink
>>> some milk".
>>>

>> Some cheeses are worse than others. I don't have a problem with
>> aged cheddar, Brie or blue cheese. Mozzarella is the worst, though
>> I don't think it would be in al Fredo.
>>

> Did you mention parmesan? That's the cheese you need for al fredo.

Nope. I did not mention Parmesan. I know it is the cheese in al Fredo. I
was just talking about cheeses in general and the range of reaction to
it. I have never noticed a problem with Parmesan, but I most certainly
react to Mozzarella.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 May 2017 19:07:15 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/27/2017 6:59 PM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2017-05-27, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>>> Barilla makes gluten free pasta and is barely more expensive than their
>>> regular pasta. That should solve your problem with pasta dishes.

>> Fortunately, I don't like pasta. If it ain't mac/cheese, I can't use
>> it. The term, "gluten free" is a joke. Gluten free water, ice cream,
>> etc!? Gimme a freakin' break!
>>
>> nb
>>

>Yeah, but so is the term "organic", nb. LOL

Isn't it nice to know that food has been grown without the use of
chemicals?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-27 6:59 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-05-27, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Barilla makes gluten free pasta and is barely more expensive than their
>> regular pasta. That should solve your problem with pasta dishes.

> Fortunately, I don't like pasta. If it ain't mac/cheese, I can't use
> it. The term, "gluten free" is a joke. Gluten free water, ice cream,
> etc!? Gimme a freakin' break!

There are people who genuinely react badly to gluten. Then there are
those who jump on the gluten free band wagon. It is another form of
diet that revolves around the person and makes them special. A while
back I was in the corner baker having a coffee and the owner was at the
next table with a woman who was placing an order for sandwiches, wraps
and pastries for a family occasion. I almost felt sorry for the woman as
she was rhyming off the special diets that her daughters/grandaughters
were affiliating themselves with. A couple of them were vegetarian, one
was vegan, one was gluten free, one was lactose intolerant. Sorry, but
I don't have the patience. I would either not bother and feed a variety
to them and let them figure it out, or I would just have a pot luck and
let them bring their own food. I have my own food issues and simply
pick and choose from what is offered. My main issue is lactose, so I
avoid the dairy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-27, jmcquown > wrote:

> Yeah, but so is the term "organic", nb. LOL

Not so.

Yes, some ppl are trying to "fudge" on the organic term, but I look
fer the USDA label. Even better, the "non-GMO" label. I know, the
USDA is totally compromised, but not before they tried to create an
organic criteria, which was, basically, NO GMO's or glyphosates. Now,
it's been compromised, so one needs to be aware.

For example, Kroger's "organic and grass-fed" ground hamburger is
terrible! Too many bad batches (stinks when pan fried). Whole
Paycheck is equally bad. Too many bogus organic items.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2017 7:29 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-05-27, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Yeah, but so is the term "organic", nb. LOL

> Not so.
>
> Yes, some ppl are trying to "fudge" on the organic term, but I look
> fer the USDA label. Even better, the "non-GMO" label. I know, the
> USDA is totally compromised, but not before they tried to create an
> organic criteria, which was, basically, NO GMO's or glyphosates. Now,
> it's been compromised, so one needs to be aware.
>
> For example, Kroger's "organic and grass-fed" ground hamburger is
> terrible! Too many bad batches (stinks when pan fried). Whole
> Paycheck is equally bad. Too many bogus organic items.
>
> nb

All I know is you mention paying more for whatever. I see huge mark-ups
at the grocery store for fresh food in the Organic section. There is NO
proof anything they're selling at higher prices (goes for "Gluten Free",
too") is actually what they say it is.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-05-27 6:59 PM, notbob wrote:
> >On 2017-05-27, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> > > Barilla makes gluten free pasta and is barely more expensive than
> > > their regular pasta. That should solve your problem with pasta
> > > dishes.

> > Fortunately, I don't like pasta. If it ain't mac/cheese, I can't
> > use it. The term, "gluten free" is a joke. Gluten free water, ice
> > cream, etc!? Gimme a freakin' break!
> >

> There are people who genuinely react badly to gluten. Then there are
> those who jump on the gluten free band wagon. It is another form of
> diet that revolves around the person and makes them special. A while
> back I was in the corner baker having a coffee and the owner was at
> the next table with a woman who was placing an order for sandwiches,
> wraps and pastries for a family occasion. I almost felt sorry for the
> woman as she was rhyming off the special diets that her
> daughters/grandaughters were affiliating themselves with. A couple of
> them were vegetarian, one was vegan, one was gluten free, one was
> lactose intolerant. Sorry, but I don't have the patience. I would
> either not bother and feed a variety to them and let them figure it
> out, or I would just have a pot luck and let them bring their own
> food. I have my own food issues and simply pick and choose from what
> is offered. My main issue is lactose, so I avoid the dairy.

That makes sense Dave to avoid the lactose. I have a Friend who is
working her way around some diabetic issues. At first she went gluten
free but now if finding not all gluten spikes the same. Before you
think that is crazy, it isnt.

That bread loaf I finally got to post a picture of, is one for her. It
has 1/3rd less the normal gluten load (roughly) and i can tell would be
very easy to over-work the dough. Might work for her though. Mighty
tastey too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il giorno giovedì 21 marzo 2013 14:12:28 UTC+1, ha scritto:
> What is in Alfredo that makes my stomach sick?
>
> It gives me bad cramps and severe diarreah. I thought it was just the
> Alfredo spaghetti sauce. After having the same results from several
> different brands, I decided to no longer buy it, even though I'll miss
> it, because I've gotten real tired of tomato based spaghetti sauces.
> But as sick as my stomach gets, I quit buying it. A few days ago, a
> local pizza place had a special on slices. I grabbed a slice of their
> regular pepperoni, which I've had many times. They also had a new
> Alfredo cheese with 4 other cheeses pizza. One slice of that stuff, and
> I was sicker than I've gotten on the spag. sauce.
>
> From now on, if it says "Alfredo" on the label, I avoid it.
>
> But I am curoius what cause such extreme stomach flare-up from eating
> it. Being older, my stomach dont tolerate some foods as well as when I
> was young, but overall, I can eat most foods without too much trouble.
> At the same time, I am lactose intolarant to a certain degree. If I was
> to drink 20 oz of milk, I'd be sorry I did it, yet I can drink 4 oz and
> not have any significant problems. And I tend to eat quite a bit of
> cheese and cheese dont seem to bother me much at all. (referring to
> block cheeses such as colby, swiss, cheddar, etc and american cheese or
> that processed stuff.) I can eat cheese spread on crackers too, and not
> have a problem.
>
> Anyhow, there is something about Alfredo that seriously disagrees with
> me, apparently even in small amounts. I just wish I know what it was.
>
> What makes it different than other cheeses?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 May 2017 19:49:54 -0700, The Newest Other Guy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 May 2017 19:10:05 -0400, Dave Smith >
>wrote:

>>> Did you mention parmesan? That's the cheese you need for al fredo.
>>>

>>Nope. I did not mention Parmesan. I know it is the cheese in al Fredo. I
>>was just talking about cheeses in general and the range of reaction to
>>it. I have never noticed a problem with Parmesan, but I most certainly
>>react to Mozzarella.

>Mozzarella is a very high fat cheese, so..

Fat content per 100 g:
Mozarella: 22
Danish blue: 25-30
Gorgonzola: 25-35
Parmesan: 26
Brie: 28
Cheddar: 33

Just a bit of fa(c)t checking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2017 8:19 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 27 May 2017 08:51:59 -0700, Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> Hi, I'm new here. My name's Di, and I live in Italy. Here, Fettuccine all'Alfredo doesn't have any cream in it. It's origin is from the Trattoria Da Alfredo in Via della Scrofa, Rome. It's simple and straightforward. You simply 'dress' the fettuccine with grated parmesan, butter, salt, black pepper and, optional, a little chopped sage. The original recipe doesn't have cream in it. I advise you buy a piece of parmesan cheese to grate, rather than but ready-grated, and don't overdo the butter. The use of cream is totally American, not Italian.
>>>
>>> di
>>>

>> Di - where have you been? This group needs you!

> It took her over four years just to write that post. We'll see her
> again in ... 2021.
>
> -sw

it was worth the wait.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 May 2017 15:44:51 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> On Sat, 27 May 2017 09:44:28 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>>> wrote: >> >> I have the SAME problem at 28. I
>>> can eat cheese, processed cheese and even drink some milk. What is it
>>> about Alfredo that makes me suffer so after eating it? It's the jar
>>> and especially homemade. It's just upsetting because it tastes so
>>> amazing. ? I'm assuming it's IBS striking again. You know what gives
>>> me the very same problem? Little Caesars pizza with red sauce. >> >
>>> you >> > sick, no matter how yummy they are. >> > >> >> >> it can
>>> take longer than that. Sometimes you grow up with indoctrination >>
>>> about what is good for you and what isn't. Oranges and milk were
>>> things >> that I had almost daily and which turned out to have been
>>> the cause of a >> lot of gut discomfort.

>>> Lol. But it could still be interesting to know what it is about this
>>> Alfredo that doesn't agree with one.

>>Lactose most likely?

> But she said she "can eat cheese, processed cheese and even drink some
> milk".

Some of the jarred sauces have egg in them. I was shocked to see that.

I only tried Alfredo once, in a restaurant. I did feel sick after eating it.
Also didn't like it. Just too rich. At home, I often do pasta with Parmesan,
a little butter and some black pepper and parsley. That doesn't make me
sick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2017-05-27, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Pasta could possibly be a problem if someone is wheat sensitive.

> I jes watched What's With Wheat, a documentary about how to heal one's
> self from "non-celiac gluten sensitivity". Problem is, what does one
> eat? The What's With Wheat only charges $70USD for a non-gluten diet
> plan. They are my pals (as if!). 8|
>
> nb

There are plenty of things to eat. If you want pasta, there is pasta made of
rice, corn, beans quinoa or a combination of those things. You will have to
mostly cook from scratch though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2017-05-27, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Barilla makes gluten free pasta and is barely more expensive than their
>> regular pasta. That should solve your problem with pasta dishes.

> Fortunately, I don't like pasta. If it ain't mac/cheese, I can't use
> it. The term, "gluten free" is a joke. Gluten free water, ice cream,
> etc!? Gimme a freakin' break!

It's not a joke to someone that gets sick from eating it.

TV science/wishful news ad crap makes me sick. Chat. Andy[_15_] General Cooking 1 25-05-2009 01:30 AM
Diane Feinstein makes me sick to my stomach! Andy[_15_] General Cooking 28 23-01-2009 01:54 AM
Stomach Richard Vegan 0 14-09-2007 01:05 AM
SIck of being Sick...an update Nexis General Cooking 4 28-02-2007 03:21 PM
Sick of being sick...ideas please? Nexis General Cooking 29 28-02-2007 01:40 PM