Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Alfredo makes my stomach sick

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 5/27/2017 7:29 PM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2017-05-27, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, but so is the term "organic", nb. LOL

>> Not so.
>>
>> Yes, some ppl are trying to "fudge" on the organic term, but I look
>> fer the USDA label. Even better, the "non-GMO" label. I know, the
>> USDA is totally compromised, but not before they tried to create an
>> organic criteria, which was, basically, NO GMO's or glyphosates. Now,
>> it's been compromised, so one needs to be aware.
>>
>> For example, Kroger's "organic and grass-fed" ground hamburger is
>> terrible! Too many bad batches (stinks when pan fried). Whole
>> Paycheck is equally bad. Too many bogus organic items.
>>
>> nb
>>

> All I know is you mention paying more for whatever. I see huge mark-ups
> at the grocery store for fresh food in the Organic section. There is NO
> proof anything they're selling at higher prices (goes for "Gluten Free",
> too") is actually what they say it is.
>
> Jill

Nonsense. They can't claim something to be GF if it isn't. This is tested. A
farmer can't claim his crop to be organic unless it is certified.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il giorno giovedì 21 marzo 2013 14:12:28 UTC+1, ha scritto:
> What is in Alfredo that makes my stomach sick?
>
> It gives me bad cramps and severe diarreah. I thought it was just the
> Alfredo spaghetti sauce. After having the same results from several
> different brands, I decided to no longer buy it, even though I'll miss
> it, because I've gotten real tired of tomato based spaghetti sauces.
> But as sick as my stomach gets, I quit buying it. A few days ago, a
> local pizza place had a special on slices. I grabbed a slice of their
> regular pepperoni, which I've had many times. They also had a new
> Alfredo cheese with 4 other cheeses pizza. One slice of that stuff, and
> I was sicker than I've gotten on the spag. sauce.
>
> From now on, if it says "Alfredo" on the label, I avoid it.
>
> But I am curoius what cause such extreme stomach flare-up from eating
> it. Being older, my stomach dont tolerate some foods as well as when I
> was young, but overall, I can eat most foods without too much trouble.
> At the same time, I am lactose intolarant to a certain degree. If I was
> to drink 20 oz of milk, I'd be sorry I did it, yet I can drink 4 oz and
> not have any significant problems. And I tend to eat quite a bit of
> cheese and cheese dont seem to bother me much at all. (referring to
> block cheeses such as colby, swiss, cheddar, etc and american cheese or
> that processed stuff.) I can eat cheese spread on crackers too, and not
> have a problem.
>
> Anyhow, there is something about Alfredo that seriously disagrees with
> me, apparently even in small amounts. I just wish I know what it was.
>
> What makes it different than other cheeses?

The essential thing about doing things with cheeses like parmesan/pecorino etc. is that they must be used as fresh as possible. I NEVER buy pre-grated stuff. Who knows how long it's been there before appearing on the supermarket shelves!
I also subscribe to It.hobby.cucina, and there was a thread about pesto alla Genovese. The thread was about botulism and cheese in ready prepared pesto. To cut a long story short, they advised freezing the basil, which has its own season, and then using portions of it to make pesto with the opther fresh-bought ingredients. They reckoned that there would be a risk of botulism with pesto made all in one go and kept for a period of time. Now, I'm not a chemist, but I do see red lights when I read things like that. That's why I make any dish with cheese from freshly bought produce, and do it fresh, and what's not used gets thrown away. You should ponder on this, and be careful.

Tanti saluti (all the best)

di
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 7:15:52 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 27 May 2017 19:07:15 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> >> Fortunately, I don't like pasta. If it ain't mac/cheese, I can't use
> >> it. The term, "gluten free" is a joke. Gluten free water, ice cream,
> >> etc!? Gimme a freakin' break!
> >>
> >> nb
> >>

> >Yeah, but so is the term "organic", nb. LOL

> Isn't it nice to know that food has been grown without the use of
> chemicals?

Organic food certainly is grown with chemicals. Pyrethrin insecticides
come to mind.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 May 2017 04:09:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 7:15:52 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 May 2017 19:07:15 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> >Yeah, but so is the term "organic", nb. LOL

>> Isn't it nice to know that food has been grown without the use of
>> chemicals?

>Organic food certainly is grown with chemicals. Pyrethrin insecticides
>come to mind.

Word games. Enjoy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Sonntag, 28. Mai 2017 13:08:05 UTC+2 schrieb :

> To cut a long story short, they advised freezing the basil,

Never! It loses all its flavor that way!

> which has its own season,

Yes and no - you get pots with basil all year, but...

> and then using portions of it to make pesto with the opther fresh-bought
> ingredients.

Or buy sterilized stuff instead of making it yourself.

> They reckoned that there would be a risk of botulism with pesto made
> all in one go and kept for a period of time.

OMG!
There's always a risk, but you'll smell that. And hear - when the jars (are
going to) explode...

> Now, I'm not a chemist, but I do see red lights when I read things like
> that. That's why I make any dish with cheese from freshly bought produce,
> and do it fresh,

Nothing wrong with that.

> and what's not used gets thrown away.

I would suggest to freeze the leftovers; they will taste much better than
mistreated basil.

> You should ponder on this, and be careful.

Always!
I'm still alive. ;-)

Bye, Sanne.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 7:13:09 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 28 May 2017 04:09:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 7:15:52 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> >> Isn't it nice to know that food has been grown without the use of
> >> chemicals?

> >Organic food certainly is grown with chemicals. Pyrethrin insecticides
> >come to mind.

> Word games. Enjoy.

Not a game:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethrin#Toxicity>

Fish are particularly sensitive to it. Michigan's Department of Natural
Resources has used it to "nuke" a stream of competitive species before
they introduce sport fish.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm using Ronzoni smart taste rotini now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 7:25:56 AM UTC-4, sanne wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 28. Mai 2017 13:08:05 UTC+2 schrieb :
>
> > To cut a long story short, they advised freezing the basil,

> Never! It loses all its flavor that way!
>
> > which has its own season,

> Yes and no - you get pots with basil all year, but...
>
> > and then using portions of it to make pesto with the opther fresh-bought
> > ingredients.

> Or buy sterilized stuff instead of making it yourself.
>
> > They reckoned that there would be a risk of botulism with pesto made
> > all in one go and kept for a period of time.

> OMG!
> There's always a risk, but you'll smell that. And hear - when the jars (are
> going to) explode...

Botulism has no smell.

We recently had a case where convenience-store nacho cheese killed 1 and
hospitalized 9:

<http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/05/23/529589579/nacho-cheese-sauce-tainted-with-botulism-kills-california-man>

With pesto, it's probably not the cheese. It's the garlic and basil.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2017 7:12 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 28 May 2017 04:09:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 7:15:52 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>>> Isn't it nice to know that food has been grown without the use of
>>> chemicals?

>> Organic food certainly is grown with chemicals. Pyrethrin insecticides
>> come to mind.

> Word games. Enjoy.

It is a bit of a game of words. Pyrethrin in a "natural" chemical So is
urushiol but they are certainly not interchangeable. I guess you can
include peach nectar and snake venom. Comes down to making the right
choices when using them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 9:38:29 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/28/2017 7:12 AM, Bruce wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 May 2017 04:09:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> >> Organic food certainly is grown with chemicals. Pyrethrin insecticides
> >> come to mind.

> > Word games. Enjoy.
> >

> It is a bit of a game of words. Pyrethrin in a "natural" chemical So is
> urushiol but they are certainly not interchangeable. I guess you can
> include peach nectar and snake venom. Comes down to making the right
> choices when using them.

You betcha. Perhaps Bruce was being sarcastic. That's so difficult
to convey on Usenet.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 May 2017 05:20:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 7:13:09 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 May 2017 04:09:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Organic food certainly is grown with chemicals. Pyrethrin insecticides
>> >come to mind.

>> Word games. Enjoy.

>Not a game:
>
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethrin#Toxicity>
>
>Fish are particularly sensitive to it. Michigan's Department of Natural
>Resources has used it to "nuke" a stream of competitive species before
>they introduce sport fish.

You and I both know what "organic food" is
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have a mild intolerance to dairy but have had great results if I take a couple Dairy-eze pills before eating things heavy with milk or cream. I also only use lactose free milk.

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

€œWhy does Alfredo make me stomach sick?
Oh by the way, Im lactose intolerant.€

Pretty sure you answered your own question
There, pal. Im not so sure a person shouldve
Needed to consult a forum for this. 🙄
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I didnt mean for that to seem rude or
demeaning. Just found it odd that youd
Be eating Alfredo as somebody whos
allergic to or intolerant to dairy in
The first place.

If it helps at all, I can tell you that Im
Not lactose intolerant at all, and Alfredo
Sauce in any significant portion makes
Me stomach sick as a dog too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 5:28:59 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> Are all google posters too stupid to quote the
> text they're responding to?

I know exactly what's going on. It has nothing to do with one's intelligence. The Google Groups mobile interface does not allow automatic quoting. It's a serious problem. OTOH, mobile devices are replacing desktop devices so get used to it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Great. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 9:12:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> What is in Alfredo that makes my stomach sick?
>
> It gives me bad cramps and severe diarreah. I thought it was just the
> Alfredo spaghetti sauce. After having the same results from several
> different brands, I decided to no longer buy it, even though I'll miss
> it, because I've gotten real tired of tomato based spaghetti sauces.
> But as sick as my stomach gets, I quit buying it. A few days ago, a
> local pizza place had a special on slices. I grabbed a slice of their
> regular pepperoni, which I've had many times. They also had a new
> Alfredo cheese with 4 other cheeses pizza. One slice of that stuff, and
> I was sicker than I've gotten on the spag. sauce.
>
> From now on, if it says "Alfredo" on the label, I avoid it.
>
> But I am curoius what cause such extreme stomach flare-up from eating
> it. Being older, my stomach dont tolerate some foods as well as when I
> was young, but overall, I can eat most foods without too much trouble.
> At the same time, I am lactose intolarant to a certain degree. If I was
> to drink 20 oz of milk, I'd be sorry I did it, yet I can drink 4 oz and
> not have any significant problems. And I tend to eat quite a bit of
> cheese and cheese dont seem to bother me much at all. (referring to
> block cheeses such as colby, swiss, cheddar, etc and american cheese or
> that processed stuff.) I can eat cheese spread on crackers too, and not
> have a problem.
>
> Anyhow, there is something about Alfredo that seriously disagrees with
> me, apparently even in small amounts. I just wish I know what it was.
>
> What makes it different than other cheeses?

I have the same issue as well and I literally came here to find out about my situation. I don't think I'm lactose intolerant because I can eat ice cream normally drink milk and eat any sort of dairy the only thing with milk that has ever affected me was the alfredo sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019, wrote:

> On Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 9:12:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
>> What is in Alfredo that makes my stomach sick?
>>
>> It gives me bad cramps and severe diarreah. I thought it was just the
>> Alfredo spaghetti sauce. After having the same results from several
>> different brands, I decided to no longer buy it, even though I'll miss
>> it, because I've gotten real tired of tomato based spaghetti sauces.
>> But as sick as my stomach gets, I quit buying it. A few days ago, a
>> local pizza place had a special on slices. I grabbed a slice of their
>> regular pepperoni, which I've had many times. They also had a new
>> Alfredo cheese with 4 other cheeses pizza. One slice of that stuff, and
>> I was sicker than I've gotten on the spag. sauce.
>>
>> From now on, if it says "Alfredo" on the label, I avoid it.
>>
>> But I am curoius what cause such extreme stomach flare-up from eating
>> it. Being older, my stomach dont tolerate some foods as well as when I
>> was young, but overall, I can eat most foods without too much trouble.
>> At the same time, I am lactose intolarant to a certain degree. If I was
>> to drink 20 oz of milk, I'd be sorry I did it, yet I can drink 4 oz and
>> not have any significant problems. And I tend to eat quite a bit of
>> cheese and cheese dont seem to bother me much at all. (referring to
>> block cheeses such as colby, swiss, cheddar, etc and american cheese or
>> that processed stuff.) I can eat cheese spread on crackers too, and not
>> have a problem.
>>
>> Anyhow, there is something about Alfredo that seriously disagrees with
>> me, apparently even in small amounts. I just wish I know what it was.
>>
>> What makes it different than other cheeses?

> I have the same issue as well and I literally came here to find out
> about my situation. I don't think I'm lactose intolerant because I can
> eat ice cream normally drink milk and eat any sort of dairy the only
> thing with milk that has ever affected me was the alfredo sauce.

It's really "rich" (butter/fat/greasy) and can also have heavy cream in
it. Add in the parmesan and romano, and it's just a GERD nightmare.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank you no more cream for me.

TV science/wishful news ad crap makes me sick. Chat. Andy[_15_] General Cooking 1 25-05-2009 01:30 AM
Diane Feinstein makes me sick to my stomach! Andy[_15_] General Cooking 28 23-01-2009 01:54 AM
Stomach Richard Vegan 0 14-09-2007 01:05 AM
SIck of being Sick...an update Nexis General Cooking 4 28-02-2007 03:21 PM
Sick of being sick...ideas please? Nexis General Cooking 29 28-02-2007 01:40 PM