Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cool Whip Frosting?

Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
"frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:52:35 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>
>>Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
>>like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
>>"frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
>>it?

> Have not heard of it, and after looking at the Kraft site,
> will NOT be trying it, as they have NO product info available.

It depends. Mr. Esther loves Cool Whip, even the fatfree tub. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
> like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
> "frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
> it?

Uh... No! I've never eaten Cool Whip and never would. Never let Angela
eat it either. If she wants whipped cream, she gets the real thing.

Had a neighbor who used to rave about a cake that she made that involved
Cool Whip and pink lemonade. Made me want to gag.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
> like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
> "frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
> it?

There are lots of people (who have never given cool whip a second
thought) that would eat it just because it's nondairy and shelf
stable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 21:32:18 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:52:35 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>
>> Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
>> like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
>> "frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
>> it?

> There are lots of people (who have never given cool whip a second
> thought) that would eat it just because it's nondairy and shelf
> stable.

It's not shelf stable. Recommendations on the package suggest to keep
it frozen (and that's where you'll find it in the stores).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
> Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
> like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
> "frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
> it?

I might if I was making something for the grandkids, just to try it. I like
to try different things, even if it's just a small taste.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-21, Polly Esther > wrote:

> It depends. Mr. Esther loves Cool Whip, even the fatfree tub.

Fat-free? I usta call it "grease-whip", as that's what is primarily
was. Apparently, they have changed things, somewhat:

"Cool Whip Original is made of water, hydrogenated vegetable oil
(including coconut and palm oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn
syrup, skim milk, light cream, and less than 2% sodium caseinate (a
milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar
gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, and beta carotene (as a
coloring).[4] In some markets, such as Canada and the United States,
Cool Whip is available in an aerosol can using nitrous oxide as a
propellant. Cool Whip was formerly marketed as non-dairy, but in
Jewish dietary traditions, Cool Whip was classified as dairy rather
than parve (non-meat and non-dairy) because of the sodium caseinate
(which is derived from milk). Cool Whip now contains milk and cream."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Whip

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-03-21, Polly Esther > wrote:
>
>> It depends. Mr. Esther loves Cool Whip, even the fatfree tub.

> Fat-free? I usta call it "grease-whip", as that's what is primarily
> was. Apparently, they have changed things, somewhat:
>
> "Cool Whip Original is made of water, hydrogenated vegetable oil
> (including coconut and palm oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn
> syrup, skim milk, light cream, and less than 2% sodium caseinate (a
> milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar
> gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, and beta carotene (as a
> coloring).[4] In some markets, such as Canada and the United States,
> Cool Whip is available in an aerosol can using nitrous oxide as a
> propellant. Cool Whip was formerly marketed as non-dairy, but in
> Jewish dietary traditions, Cool Whip was classified as dairy rather
> than parve (non-meat and non-dairy) because of the sodium caseinate
> (which is derived from milk). Cool Whip now contains milk and cream."
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Whip
>
> nb

It's not fat free but they can get away with calling it that because a
serving is so small that the amount of fat in it is less than a gram.

I used to work with this gal that ate it right out of the tub. Ate an
entire tub all at once. It was the chocolate kind. Do they even make that
any more? She couldn't figure out why she was putting on weight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
>like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
>"frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
>it?

Hell no. Regular Cool Whip is nasty artificial crap so the frosting
is probably similar or worse. It is easy enough to whip up the real
deal with some confectioner's sugar and butter. Yes, real butter, no
Crisco, no margarine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 23:49:15 -0500, Spiro Weville
> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 21:32:18 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:52:35 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
>>> like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
>>> "frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
>>> it?

>> There are lots of people (who have never given cool whip a second
>> thought) that would eat it just because it's nondairy and shelf
>> stable.

>It's not shelf stable. Recommendations on the package suggest to keep
>it frozen (and that's where you'll find it in the stores).

But it does keep for some time after defrosting as compared to real
whipped cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-21, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Hell no. Regular Cool Whip is nasty artificial crap so the frosting
> is probably similar or worse. It is easy enough to whip up the real
> deal with some confectioner's sugar and butter. Yes, real butter, no
> Crisco, no margarine

Yep. Even sprmkt bakery made cakes will use a frosting similar to
"grease-whip", as I call it. It's basically some sorta shortening and
a lotta air. Another grease-whip.

But yes, a simple butter-cream frosting is hard to beat. Butter,
pwdrd sugar, milk, vanilla. I grew up on the stuff and it was dense,
rich, and almost painfully sweet, though as a kid I didn't think so.
Usta you could buy a little box of pwdr sugar and the recipe was right
on the box. My nan usta make about 3 pan cakes per week, all topped
with food colored butter-cream frosting. Yum.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I eat the fat free variety on occasion with a light dessert (say,
sliced strawberries on sugar free Angel Food cake) and it's actually
one of the better fat free products, much better than, say, fat free
mayonnaise, which I have to doctor up on a sandwich with lots of
mustard. After the double bypass I had to give up foods with the word
"Cream" in them, just as I had to give up foods that ended in
"Sausage".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 10:52*pm, merryb > wrote:
> Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
> like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
> "frosting" which is found in the freezer section. *Ick! *Would you try
> it?

I thought it looked really good in the commercial. ?? It might be
perfect if you are making your own ice cream cake, like that at DQ.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 11:08*pm, The Other Guy > wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:52:35 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>
> >Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
> >like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
> >"frosting" which is found in the freezer section. *Ick! *Would you try
> >it?

> Have not heard of it, and after looking at the Kraft site,
> will NOT be trying it, as they have NO product info available.
>
> To reply by email, lose the Ks...

Well, pick up a tub the next time you are at the freezer section of
the supermarket, and read what is on the container. How hard is
that? You don't have to buy it to find out, and you probably go to
the supermarket now and then.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2013 5:52 PM, merryb wrote:
> Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
> like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
> "frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
> it?

I wouldn't have any problem trying it. I don't care for regular frosting
so practically anything might be an improvement. I don't have any
problem with Cool Whip either - real whipped cream causes my guts to go
into spasms. This pretty much ruins it for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 3/20/2013 5:52 PM, merryb wrote:
>> Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
>> like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
>> "frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
>> it?
>>

> I wouldn't have any problem trying it. I don't care for regular frosting
> so practically anything might be an improvement. I don't have any problem
> with Cool Whip either - real whipped cream causes my guts to go into
> spasms. This pretty much ruins it for me.

I always liked Cool Whip too, but don't usually have it on hand. I do
usually have cream on hand, so very easy to just make my own whipped cream.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/03/2013 1:52 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 3/20/2013 5:52 PM, merryb wrote:
>> Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
>> like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
>> "frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
>> it?
>>

> I wouldn't have any problem trying it. I don't care for regular frosting
> so practically anything might be an improvement. I don't have any
> problem with Cool Whip either - real whipped cream causes my guts to go
> into spasms. This pretty much ruins it for me.

Funny how that works. My father and two of my brothers loved whipped
cream. The other brother is not a big dessert lover but he does enjoy
eclairs filled with whipped cream. My mother never cared much for
whipping cream. I never appreciated much because I have the same
reaction that you do. My brothers still make cracks about making that
the bathroom is free after I eat anything with whipped cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2013 10:52 PM, merryb wrote:
> Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
> like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
> "frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
> it?

Not likely. I don't usually eat things made of chemical components I
can't pronounce.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 3/20/2013 10:52 PM, merryb wrote:
>> Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
>> like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
>> "frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
>> it?
>>

> Not likely. I don't usually eat things made of chemical components I
> can't pronounce.

Luckily, I can pronounce them, and I always like to at least taste a new
product.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2013 8:00 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 3/20/2013 5:52 PM, merryb wrote:
>>> Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
>>> like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
>>> "frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
>>> it?
>>>

>> I wouldn't have any problem trying it. I don't care for regular
>> frosting so practically anything might be an improvement. I don't have
>> any problem with Cool Whip either - real whipped cream causes my guts
>> to go into spasms. This pretty much ruins it for me.

> I always liked Cool Whip too, but don't usually have it on hand. I do
> usually have cream on hand, so very easy to just make my own whipped cream.
>
> Cheri

I'm not crazy about Cool Whip or anything. My guess is that, like a lot
of people, I buy Cool Whip only during the holidays. It's a holiday
tradition! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lich59xsjik

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2013 8:04 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 21/03/2013 1:52 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 3/20/2013 5:52 PM, merryb wrote:
>>> Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
>>> like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
>>> "frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
>>> it?
>>>

>> I wouldn't have any problem trying it. I don't care for regular frosting
>> so practically anything might be an improvement. I don't have any
>> problem with Cool Whip either - real whipped cream causes my guts to go
>> into spasms. This pretty much ruins it for me.

> Funny how that works. My father and two of my brothers loved whipped
> cream. The other brother is not a big dessert lover but he does enjoy
> eclairs filled with whipped cream. My mother never cared much for
> whipping cream. I never appreciated much because I have the same
> reaction that you do. My brothers still make cracks about making that
> the bathroom is free after I eat anything with whipped cream.

It's the luck o' the draw. OTOH, as far as food problems goes, not being
able to digest whipped cream is just alright with me - thanks Cool Whip!
:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I bought the frosting and took to work. Once it thaws it is very light
and fluffy-I didnt really like the flavor or consistency. My mom always
buys fat free cool whip which I think is gross. At Thanksgiving I want
"Extra Creamy" on my slice of pumpkin pie so I buy a container and bring
it with me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

>I always liked Cool Whip too, but don't
> usually have it on hand. I do usually
> have cream on hand, so very easy to
> just make my own whipped cream.

My hubby prefers Cool Whip to real whipped cream, as on Jell-O, or on a
piece of pumpkin pie, etc., and I will use it, if folding it in to other
ingredients, but not so much for a topping. Today I made a cottage
cheese salad to take to a potluck with dry Jell-O, cottage cheese,
marshmallows, fruit and Cool Whip folded together, but also made a
Butter Brickle Dessert to take and used real whipped cream on the top,
instead of the Cool Whip the recipe listed.

I'd never heard of Cool Whip frosting though..that's a new one on me,
but I'd try it, just out of curiosity.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
> like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
> "frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
> it?

Not if the ingredients were like those in Cool Whip. Ugh.

--
Jean B.

Cool Whip Frosting Anna[_2_] Baking 6 05-09-2013 11:58 PM
Cool Whip Frosting Anna[_2_] General Cooking 81 04-01-2008 05:57 PM
Cool Whip Frosting Anna[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 01-01-2008 10:18 PM
Cool Whip Frosting Anna[_2_] Recipes 1 31-12-2007 07:58 AM