Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Most unusual recipe that you actually like?

I remember that I really did like "ImStillMags" recipe for Pineapple Au
Gratin which I did make and try. One recipe that I think is really odd that
I do make and like is this from a 1904 recipe book. What's yours?

Egg Balls.

2 hard boiled eggs
1 raw egg
3TBS fine cracker crumbs or flour
1/2 tsp salt
dash of cayenne
a little grated nutmeg
a few drops of lemon juice

Rub the boiled egg yolks very smooth ( I use my fine zester)
Mince the boiled egg whites very fine

mix together with the seasoning, add enough of the slightly beaten raw egg
and 1
TBS of the crumbs to bind, and
form into balls the size of a nutmeg (about 3/4" in diameter). Roll the egg
balls in the rest of the beaten
raw egg and then roll in the rest of the crumbs or flour. Place in fridge
for a
few minutes until flour/cracker coating is set.

Drop into the boiling soup and let cook for about 5 minutes, or you can fry
to a
golden brown.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:
> I remember that I really did like "ImStillMags" recipe for Pineapple
> Au Gratin which I did make and try. One recipe that I think is really
> odd that I do make and like is this from a 1904 recipe book. What's
> yours?
> Egg Balls.
>
> 2 hard boiled eggs
> 1 raw egg
> 3TBS fine cracker crumbs or flour
> 1/2 tsp salt
> dash of cayenne
> a little grated nutmeg
> a few drops of lemon juice
>
> Rub the boiled egg yolks very smooth ( I use my fine zester)
> Mince the boiled egg whites very fine
>
> mix together with the seasoning, add enough of the slightly beaten
> raw egg and 1
> TBS of the crumbs to bind, and
> form into balls the size of a nutmeg (about 3/4" in diameter). Roll
> the egg balls in the rest of the beaten
> raw egg and then roll in the rest of the crumbs or flour. Place in
> fridge for a
> few minutes until flour/cracker coating is set.
>
> Drop into the boiling soup and let cook for about 5 minutes, or you
> can fry to a
> golden brown.

I don't have the actual recipe. Don't have that cookbook any more. But it
would be Hominy Croquettes. I baked mind. Didn't fry. Nobody else who
tried them liked them but I loved them!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I miss my mother's chicken soup. She would add some of the offal to
the soup. My favorite parts were (and still are) the chicken ovaries
and the neck.

In China I had a dish made up of chicken kidneys. It was excellent.

In France I had a fantastic pizza where the main ingredient was
chicken gizzards.

http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message

> In France I had a fantastic pizza where the main ingredient was
> chicken gizzards.

I like chicken gizzards.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "Helpful person" > wrote in message
>
> > In France I had a fantastic pizza where the main ingredient was
> > chicken gizzards.

> I like chicken gizzards.
>
> Cheri

I like them too...fried. I'll also buy fried chicken livers if I see them
in the deli cooked. Occasionally, I'll buy a pint of them raw and batter/fry
them myself. Good occasional eats.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 9:58*am, Gary > wrote:
> Cheri wrote:
>
> > "Helpful person" > wrote in message

> > > In France I had a fantastic pizza where the main ingredient was
> > > chicken gizzards.

> > I like chicken gizzards.

> > Cheri

> I like them too...fried. *I'll also buy fried chicken livers if I see them
> in the deli cooked. Occasionally, I'll buy a pint of them raw and batter/fry
> them myself. *Good occasional eats.
>
> G.

Chicken liver is great dredged in flour and fried with too much
cracked pepper added. I also like to add a lot of ground coriander in
the dredging flour. (However, they're not that good in soup.)

Gizzards aren't that unusual, although having them on pizza was a
first for me.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Helpful person" > wrote in message
>>
>> > In France I had a fantastic pizza where the main ingredient was
>> > chicken gizzards.

>> I like chicken gizzards.
>>
>> Cheri

> I like them too...fried. I'll also buy fried chicken livers if I see them
> in the deli cooked. Occasionally, I'll buy a pint of them raw and
> batter/fry
> them myself. Good occasional eats.
>
> G.

Yes, I like them fried too. I usually cooked them in a pressure cooker for a
few minutes, then drained and floured before frying. Very tender that way. I
also love chicken liver just baked with salt and pepper, but your batter
fried sounds good too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 9:58 am, Gary > wrote:
> Cheri wrote:
>
> > "Helpful person" > wrote in message

> > > In France I had a fantastic pizza where the main ingredient was
> > > chicken gizzards.

> > I like chicken gizzards.

> > Cheri

> I like them too...fried. I'll also buy fried chicken livers if I see them
> in the deli cooked. Occasionally, I'll buy a pint of them raw and
> batter/fry
> them myself. Good occasional eats.
>
> G.

Chicken liver is great dredged in flour and fried with too much
cracked pepper added. I also like to add a lot of ground coriander in
the dredging flour. (However, they're not that good in soup.)

Gizzards aren't that unusual, although having them on pizza was a
first for me.
==========

That does sound unusual, but I imagine tasty if one likes gizzards.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 7:02*pm, "Cheri" > wrote:
> I remember that I really did like "ImStillMags" recipe for Pineapple Au
> Gratin which I did make and try. One recipe that I think is really odd that
> I do make and like is this from a 1904 recipe book. What's yours?
>
> Egg Balls.
>
> 2 hard boiled eggs
> 1 raw egg
> 3TBS fine cracker crumbs or flour
> 1/2 tsp salt
> dash of cayenne
> a little grated nutmeg
> a few drops of lemon juice
>
> Rub the boiled egg yolks very smooth ( I use my fine zester)
> Mince the boiled egg whites very fine
>
> mix together with the seasoning, add enough of the slightly beaten raw egg
> and 1
> TBS of the crumbs to bind, and
> form into balls the size of a nutmeg (about 3/4" in diameter). Roll the egg
> balls in the rest of the beaten
> raw egg and then roll in the rest of the crumbs or flour. Place in fridge
> for a
> few minutes until flour/cracker coating is set.
>
> Drop into the boiling soup and let cook for about 5 minutes, or you can fry
> to a
> golden brown.

Here's mine...it sounds awful, but when my mom made it in the 40's
when I was little, I loved it:

Mix some Lemon Jello according to directions. Take nine whole
apricots and remove the pits carefully. In the space where the pits
were, stuff in a mixture of peanut butter and crisp fried bacon,
crumbled. Close up the apricots, enclosing the stuffing. Pour the
Jello into a nine inch square dish; when it is about half set, so the
fruit will stay suspended, put in the apricots so that each one has
its own square space. Let Jello set until solid.

N. ( wasn't it Elvis who liked peanut butter and bacon sandwiches?)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2013 11:09 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Here's mine...it sounds awful, but when my mom made it in the 40's
> when I was little, I loved it:
>
> Mix some Lemon Jello according to directions. Take nine whole
> apricots and remove the pits carefully. In the space where the pits
> were, stuff in a mixture of peanut butter and crisp fried bacon,
> crumbled. Close up the apricots, enclosing the stuffing. Pour the
> Jello into a nine inch square dish; when it is about half set, so the
> fruit will stay suspended, put in the apricots so that each one has
> its own square space. Let Jello set until solid.
>
> N. ( wasn't it Elvis who liked peanut butter and bacon sandwiches?)

Peanut butter and banana with mayonnaise. Probably Miracle Whip.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 10:52*am, "l not -l" > wrote:
> On 18-Mar-2013, "Cheri" > wrote:
>
> > I remember that I really did like "ImStillMags" recipe for Pineapple
> > Au
> > Gratin which I did make and try. One recipe that I think is really odd
> > that
> > I do make and like is this from a 1904 recipe book. What's yours?

> Canned pear halves in lime jello, topped with mayo and grated cheddar.
>
> It should be noted that this is a recipe from my childhood in 1950s
> small-town Kentucky. *Grocery shopping meant walking to the neighborhood
> grocer; fresh produce was only available in-season and mostly from your
> backyard garden. *Soft-drinks (pop) were a nickel and came in 6 ounce
> bottles. *Most of the year, meals were made from what was available on
> the shelves and from the "meat" case at the "corner store". *Jell-o, in
> lemon, lime, orange or red (who knew what flavor that was, could have
> been anything), canned pears and peaches were always available, as were
> jars of mayo. *American, Swiss and cheddar were the only cheeses
> available in the "meat" case.
> --
>
> Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

I have a McCall's young cook recipe book ... No Jello, but a,pear half
on a lettuce leaf, with a dab of mayo and grated cheese on top. The
combo is actually pretty tasty, especially if you mix a little regular
French dressing into the mayo first.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

>I remember that I really did like
> "ImStillMags" recipe for Pineapple Au
> Gratin which I did make and try. One
> recipe that I think is really odd that I do
> make and like is this from a 1904 recipe
> book. What's yours?

I have always loved to try "unusual" recipes, such as bread salad (made
with cubes of buttered bread and surprisingly good!) and also Popcorn
Salad (very good) a quick bread made with baby prunes, Chocolate
Sauerkraut Cake, a molded gelatin salad with beets, ribs cooked with
root beer and stew with grape jelly in it, Peanut Butter Baking Powder
Biscuits, and Kitty Litter Dessert, which all sound strange, but
actually all were quite good. This is probably one of the most unusual
things I ever made that we liked real well

Lima Bean Cake

1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen lima beans
3 egg whites
3 egg yolks
1 cup sugar - divided
1/2 cup ground walnuts
1/2 cup flour
2 tbsp. bread crumbs
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. rum extract

Cook lima beans, according to directions on the package, until very
soft. Put through a food mill, or ricer, discarding skins - measure 1
cup puree. Beat egg whites till soft peaks form, gradually beat in 1/2
cup sugar and beat until mixture forms stiff peaks. Set aside. Beat egg
yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until thick and lemon-colored; add
lima beans and remaining ingredients, blending well. Fold in beaten egg
whites. Turn into a greased and paper-lined 9x9 inch square pan. Bake at
350º for about 30 to 35 minutes, until tests done. Frost with a lemon
butter frosting.

Serves 8 and only 210 calories per serving.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

Cheri wrote:

>I remember that I really did like
> "ImStillMags" recipe for Pineapple Au
> Gratin which I did make and try. One
> recipe that I think is really odd that I do
> make and like is this from a 1904 recipe
> book. What's yours?

I have always loved to try "unusual" recipes, such as bread salad (made
with cubes of buttered bread and surprisingly good!) and also Popcorn
Salad (very good) a quick bread made with baby prunes, Chocolate
Sauerkraut Cake, a molded gelatin salad with beets, ribs cooked with
root beer and stew with grape jelly in it, Peanut Butter Baking Powder
Biscuits, and Kitty Litter Dessert, which all sound strange, but
actually all were quite good. This is probably one of the most unusual
things I ever made that we liked real well

Lima Bean Cake

1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen lima beans
3 egg whites
3 egg yolks
1 cup sugar - divided
1/2 cup ground walnuts
1/2 cup flour
2 tbsp. bread crumbs
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. rum extract

Cook lima beans, according to directions on the package, until very
soft. Put through a food mill, or ricer, discarding skins - measure 1
cup puree. Beat egg whites till soft peaks form, gradually beat in 1/2
cup sugar and beat until mixture forms stiff peaks. Set aside. Beat egg
yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until thick and lemon-colored; add
lima beans and remaining ingredients, blending well. Fold in beaten egg
whites. Turn into a greased and paper-lined 9x9 inch square pan. Bake at
350º for about 30 to 35 minutes, until tests done. Frost with a lemon
butter frosting.

Serves 8 and only 210 calories per serving.

Judy

=========

That does sound unusual, but I do bet it's good.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On 3/19/2013 11:09 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> Here's mine...it sounds awful, but when my mom made it in the 40's
>> when I was little, I loved it:
>>
>> Mix some Lemon Jello according to directions. Take nine whole
>> apricots and remove the pits carefully. In the space where the pits
>> were, stuff in a mixture of peanut butter and crisp fried bacon,
>> crumbled. Close up the apricots, enclosing the stuffing. Pour the
>> Jello into a nine inch square dish; when it is about half set, so the
>> fruit will stay suspended, put in the apricots so that each one has
>> its own square space. Let Jello set until solid.

That is something that I'd like to try just because it does sound so
unusual.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oatmeal cake, sweetened heavily with brown sugar, and topped with coconut and lemon juice.

If you like, I'll dig up the recipe.

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 09:49:31 -0700, Nancy2 wrote:

> I have a McCall's young cook recipe book ... No Jello, but a,pear half
> on a lettuce leaf, with a dab of mayo and grated cheese on top. The
> combo is actually pretty tasty, especially if you mix a little regular
> French dressing into the mayo first.

Our lunchroom still serves this, pear salad. I love it.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Unusual recipe my sons like -- I won't try it -- spaghetti tacos. You
have only heard of these if you have Nickelodeon age children. It's just
what it sounds like, spaghetti served in taco shells. It's a fun thing
to do for a kids' lunch when you have leftover spaghetti.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/06/di...anted=all&_r=0

http://tinyurl.com/d3qojd5

Unusual recipes I like --

Georgia cracker salad, which I have also seen called mock lobster salad.
Mix diced fresh tomatoes with crumbled Saltine crackers, black pepper,
and enough mayonnaise to moisten.

Cornbread salad -- crumbled leftover cornbread, diced tomatoes, bell
peppers, onion, mayonnaise

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

I occasionally do linguini with an odd sauce consisting of caramelized
onions, sour cream and kippered herring. It sounds weird, but it's quite
good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message

> Cheri wrote:
>>

> I occasionally do linguini with an odd sauce consisting of caramelized
> onions, sour cream and kippered herring. It sounds weird, but it's quite
> good.

I bet it is good.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:02:20 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> I remember that I really did like "ImStillMags" recipe for Pineapple Au
> Gratin which I did make and try. One recipe that I think is really odd that
> I do make and like is this from a 1904 recipe book. What's yours?

I think mine would be that jello salad that's on a base of pretzels.
I thought it would be awful, but I tried it and it was very tasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:02:20 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> I remember that I really did like "ImStillMags" recipe for Pineapple Au
>> Gratin which I did make and try. One recipe that I think is really odd
>> that
>> I do make and like is this from a 1904 recipe book. What's yours?

> I think mine would be that jello salad that's on a base of pretzels.
> I thought it would be awful, but I tried it and it was very tasty.

I've never had it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 11:43*pm, "Cheri" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:02:20 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:

> >> I remember that I really did like "ImStillMags" recipe for Pineapple Au
> >> Gratin which I did make and try. One recipe that I think is really odd
> >> that
> >> I do make and like is this from a 1904 recipe book. What's yours?

> > I think mine would be that jello salad that's on a base of pretzels.
> > I thought it would be awful, but I tried it and it was very tasty.

> I've never had it.
>
> Cheri

It is pretty good...I think strawberry Jello is the main ingredient,
maybe with some fresh or frozen strawberries. I am sure you could
find a recipe with Google.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 21:43:10 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:02:20 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I remember that I really did like "ImStillMags" recipe for Pineapple Au
> >> Gratin which I did make and try. One recipe that I think is really odd
> >> that
> >> I do make and like is this from a 1904 recipe book. What's yours?

> > I think mine would be that jello salad that's on a base of pretzels.
> > I thought it would be awful, but I tried it and it was very tasty.

> I've never had it.

It's worth giving a shot if you ever see it at a picnic or buffet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>I think mine would be that jello salad
> that's on a base of pretzels. I thought it
> would be awful, but I tried it and it was
> very tasty.

I LOVE it! I never have used it for a salad though, as is so sweet, but
have always served it as a dessert. I've made it also with raspberry
Jell-O and frozen raspberries in place of the strawberries. Yum!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:02:20 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I remember that I really did like "ImStillMags" recipe for Pineapple Au
>>> Gratin which I did make and try. One recipe that I think is really odd
>>> that
>>> I do make and like is this from a 1904 recipe book. What's yours?

>> I think mine would be that jello salad that's on a base of pretzels.
>> I thought it would be awful, but I tried it and it was very tasty.

>I've never had it.
>
>Cheri

Mine is very easy... I like vanilla ice cream drizzled with evaporated
milk, it forms a crust. I like chocolate pudding (the cooked kind)
drizzled with evap too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 21:43:10 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > I think mine would be that jello salad that's on a base of pretzels.
>> > I thought it would be awful, but I tried it and it was very tasty.

>> I've never had it.
>>

> It's worth giving a shot if you ever see it at a picnic or buffet.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

I did Google it. I think I'll make it for Easter.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 21:43:10 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I think mine would be that jello salad that's on a base of pretzels.
>>> I thought it would be awful, but I tried it and it was very tasty.

>>I've never had it.
>>
>>Cheri

> Mine is very easy... I like vanilla ice cream drizzled with evaporated
> milk, it forms a crust. I like chocolate pudding (the cooked kind)
> drizzled with evap too.

Really, evaporated milk forms a crust? I had never heard that. Now, that's
an experiment I'll try.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 8:01*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:07:29 -0800, (Judy Haffner)
> wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:

> > >I think mine would be that jello salad
> > > that's on a base of pretzels. I thought it
> > > would be awful, but I tried it and it was
> > > very tasty.

> > I LOVE it! I never have used it for a salad though, as is so sweet, but
> > have always served it as a dessert. I've made it also with raspberry
> > Jell-O and frozen raspberries in place of the strawberries. Yum!

> Sorry, brain fart. *You're right, it makes a better dessert than a
> salad. *I've only had it once and it wasn't accompanied by anything -
> it was just a sweet served with afternoon tea/coffee.
>
> I googled for recipes yesterday and found one that calls for real
> whipped cream instead of cool whip. *I think I'd let the already
> whipped cream sit overnight in a fine meshed strainer to stabilize it,
> but that's the only variation I'd make to it right off the bat.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

If you whip cream using powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar,
it's pretty stable....it keeps for 4-5 days on top mousse or other
dessert in my fridge.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 09:42:15 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> If you whip cream using powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar,
> it's pretty stable....it keeps for 4-5 days on top mousse or other
> dessert in my fridge.

Thanks! I didn't know that's why people would use powdered sugar.
I'll try it sometime.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote:

-snip->
>If you whip cream using powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar,
>it's pretty stable....it keeps for 4-5 days on top mousse or other
>dessert in my fridge.

I use granulated and last time this was discussed I was sure mine
lasted a week in refrigerator-- but I wasn't certain. The next time
I made it- I made certain that a cup of it was saved for a week. No
weeping.

I don't do anything special- whipping cream, a splash of vanilla +
some sugar- and whip within a few strokes of butter. I keep it in a
rubbermaid tub.

Jim