Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default No corned beef for me

I went to Costco today and one of the things on my list was
corned beef. Looked everywhere it could possibly be, no luck.
Asked the butcher, they were wiped out yesterday. Darn.

Now I have cabbage and potatoes all ready to go and they'll
stay that way until I pick up some corned beef at the supermarket.

I left town for a week, I get back, and what has happened at
Costco? They moved stuff around. They only can move items around
so much, the food section is the same, just what is in the aisles
used to be in the next aisle. Took me a while to find the mayo.

That should be my biggest problem in life, right?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/18/2013 6:39 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> I went to Costco today and one of the things on my list was
> corned beef. Looked everywhere it could possibly be, no luck.
> Asked the butcher, they were wiped out yesterday. Darn.
>
> Now I have cabbage and potatoes all ready to go and they'll
> stay that way until I pick up some corned beef at the supermarket.

You could make Colcannon I'd miss the corned beef though.

> I left town for a week, I get back, and what has happened at
> Costco? They moved stuff around. They only can move items around
> so much, the food section is the same, just what is in the aisles
> used to be in the next aisle. Took me a while to find the mayo.

No Costco here but it irritates me when they rearrange grocery stores.
Just when you get used to where everything is, *wham*. They do it
again. Cut it out!

> That should be my biggest problem in life, right?
>
> nancy

I'd say it's a pretty big problem. Gotta have the corned beef fix at
least once a year!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/18/2013 6:58 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/18/2013 6:39 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> I went to Costco today and one of the things on my list was
>> corned beef. Looked everywhere it could possibly be, no luck.
>> Asked the butcher, they were wiped out yesterday. Darn.
>>
>> Now I have cabbage and potatoes all ready to go and they'll
>> stay that way until I pick up some corned beef at the supermarket.
>>

> You could make Colcannon I'd miss the corned beef though.

I thought of it, but what I want is corned beef, as you say.

>> I left town for a week, I get back, and what has happened at
>> Costco? They moved stuff around. They only can move items around
>> so much, the food section is the same, just what is in the aisles
>> used to be in the next aisle. Took me a while to find the mayo.
>>

> No Costco here but it irritates me when they rearrange grocery stores.
> Just when you get used to where everything is, *wham*. They do it
> again. Cut it out!

It's so much worse in the supermarket, that really gets annoying.
Costco (at least the one I'm talking about) has maybe 5 aisles of
food, not counting the freezer/refrigerator aisles. You can still do
a lot of running around in that section. I've done enough of that
recently looking for that au jus product someone (sw?) mentioned.
You don't realize how much real estate we talking until you check out
every square foot.

>> That should be my biggest problem in life, right?

> I'd say it's a pretty big problem. Gotta have the corned beef fix at
> least once a year!

Really. I should have bought it last time I was there, but I didn't.
I thought they usually carried corned beef. Oh, well.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/18/2013 8:43 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 19:14:31 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> It's so much worse in the supermarket, that really gets annoying.
>> Costco (at least the one I'm talking about) has maybe 5 aisles of
>> food, not counting the freezer/refrigerator aisles. You can still do
>> a lot of running around in that section. I've done enough of that
>> recently looking for that au jus product someone (sw?) mentioned.
>> You don't realize how much real estate we talking until you check out
>> every square foot.

> Johnny's French Dip Au Jus Concentrate? Never heard of it! ;-)

Heh.

> wasn't the one that mentioned it first, but I may have mentioned that
> CostCo carries it. It's next to the spices and soup bases (at least
> in the Northern California, Pittsburgh, and Austin CostCo's)

I really looked, and in three local Costcos, too, that I happened to
find myself. Maybe I'll order some online. I'd like to try it.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 22:39:16 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> I really looked, and in three local Costcos, too, that I happened to
> find myself. Maybe I'll order some online. I'd like to try it.

My opinion: don't bother. Nothing that common is worth that amount of
effort and $$.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I went to Costco today and one of the things on my list was
> corned beef. Looked everywhere it could possibly be, no luck.
> Asked the butcher, they were wiped out yesterday. Darn.
>
> Now I have cabbage and potatoes all ready to go and they'll
> stay that way until I pick up some corned beef at the supermarket.
>
> I left town for a week, I get back, and what has happened at
> Costco? They moved stuff around. They only can move items around
> so much, the food section is the same, just what is in the aisles
> used to be in the next aisle. Took me a while to find the mayo.
>
> That should be my biggest problem in life, right?
>
> nancy

Those are my beefs with Costco. They move stuff around so that you can't
find it. Then they get something that you like and they either never get it
again, or it's a very long time until they do get it. Daughter liked a
sesame dressing that they had. A worker there said they'd only had it in
twice. They had a jarred cheese sauce for a while. Haven't seen it in
years. Tillamoos come in at back to school time and maybe one other
shipment a few months later. Then nada until the next year. I once got
some kind of plain chicken on skewers. Pre-cooked. Daughter loved it but
they never had it again. Same for some kind of Mexican beef. Carne Asado,
I think. Maybe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-19, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Johnny's French Dip Au Jus Concentrate? Never heard of it! ;-) I
> wasn't the one that mentioned it first, but I may have mentioned that
> CostCo carries it. It's next to the spices and soup bases (at least
> in the Northern California, Pittsburgh, and Austin CostCo's)

Costco is spotty and one must pay membership. I found it at
WallyWorld, which I would think means it's universally available.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2013 5:41 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-03-19, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Johnny's French Dip Au Jus Concentrate? Never heard of it! ;-) I
>> wasn't the one that mentioned it first, but I may have mentioned that
>> CostCo carries it. It's next to the spices and soup bases (at least
>> in the Northern California, Pittsburgh, and Austin CostCo's)

> Costco is spotty and one must pay membership.

They pay me back that membership and a bit more with my executive
membership, so that's not an issue for me. It's definitely not the
type of place where they have everything in every brand.

> I found it at
> WallyWorld, which I would think means it's universally available.

Well, I assumed my supermarket wouldn't have it, but it's the place
I haven't checked. Maybe they'll surprise me.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

There are no grocery stores here. If we drive north to a small, local
grocery store, they even put out a step stool so I can reach the highest
shelves and come when I call to ask "where is?".
If we drive south, there's only WallyWorld. If I am tenacious enough,
one day maybe, I may understand their very strange stocking plan. If any.
I like to keep a can of turkey gravy on hand for too much turkey
leftovers and no gravy. Wally puts it with taco sauce. A freezer staple
when the fish are biting is a sack of frozen hushpuppies. Not as good as
mine, of course, but okay for in a hurry. Wally stocks them with the
tilapia.
The craziest? They put parchment paper in the bridal section. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-20, Polly Esther > wrote:

> The craziest? They put parchment paper in the bridal section. Polly

Yeah, like a newlywed would even know what parchment paper is. That
wacky Wally.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Mar 2013 07:19:20 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2013-03-20, Polly Esther > wrote:
>
> > The craziest? They put parchment paper in the bridal section. Polly

> Yeah, like a newlywed would even know what parchment paper is. That
> wacky Wally.
>
> nb

Isn't parchment that white stuff they put inside wedding invitations?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2013 11:23 AM, sf wrote:
> On 20 Mar 2013 07:19:20 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2013-03-20, Polly Esther > wrote:
>>
>>> The craziest? They put parchment paper in the bridal section. Polly

>> Yeah, like a newlywed would even know what parchment paper is. That
>> wacky Wally.
>>
>> nb

> Isn't parchment that white stuff they put inside wedding invitations?

That's rice paper.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Isn't parchment that white stuff they put inside wedding invitations?
>>

> That's rice paper.
>
> Jill

Now how in the world did you know that? Polly
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2013 1:30 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

>> Isn't parchment that white stuff they put inside wedding invitations?
>>>

>> That's rice paper.
>>
>> Jill

> Now how in the world did you know that? Polly

I've been told I'm a font of obscure information I was married once.
I had wedding invitations printed. At some point the woman who was
showing me the books of invitations must have mentioned it to me.

Jill

Corned Beef Brooklyn1 General Cooking 39 14-03-2016 09:56 AM
Corned Beef Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 73 23-11-2013 09:45 PM
Corned beef again Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 1 13-03-2011 03:29 AM
Corned beef again Doug Freyburger Preserving 1 09-03-2010 12:57 AM
Corned Beef vs Salt Beef (naval beef) Peter General Cooking 46 31-07-2006 04:03 PM