Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another 1960's Casserole - fun!

Look, no noodles! And yes, eggs in this... whatever the heck this is.

The recipe appears to be a collaborative effort by Mrs. A. Hamilton
Evans, Mrs. W. R. Puckett and Mrs. Robert H. Richards. (Notice women of
that era didn't have their own first names. LOL)

Chicken 'N Stuffing Scallop
(Uh oh.) With Pimento Mushroom Sauce

1 8-oz. pkg. seasoned stuffing
3 c. chicken, cubed
1/2 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
4 c. chicken broth, cool
6 eggs, beaten

Prepare stuffing according to package directions for dry stuffing.
Spread in a 13X9X2 baking dish. Place chicken on top. Blend flour and
seasoning into butter; add broth. Stir over low heat until mixture
thickens. Stir in 1-2 Tablespoons of hot mixture into eggs; return to
broth. Pour broth over chicken; bake at 325 degrees 40-45 minutes until
firm. Cool slightly; cut in squares. Serve with pimento mushroom sauce.

Pimento Mushroom Sauce:

1 can condensed mushroom soup
1/4 c. milk
1 c. sour cream
1/4 c. pimento, chopped

Combine all ingredients; stir over low heat until hot. Pour sauce over
squares of chicken. Yield: 12 servings

Okay... what sounds wrong here? "Squares of chicken" jumped right off
the page It also appears the people who edited the 'Recipes on
Parade' cookbooks were extremely fond of semi-colons.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/18/2013 5:56 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Look, no noodles! And yes, eggs in this... whatever the heck this is.
>
> The recipe appears to be a collaborative effort by Mrs. A. Hamilton
> Evans, Mrs. W. R. Puckett and Mrs. Robert H. Richards. (Notice women of
> that era didn't have their own first names. LOL)
>
> Chicken 'N Stuffing Scallop
> (Uh oh.) With Pimento Mushroom Sauce
>
> 1 8-oz. pkg. seasoned stuffing
> 3 c. chicken, cubed
> 1/2 c. butter, melted
> 1/2 c. flour
> 1/4 tsp. salt
> dash of pepper
> 4 c. chicken broth, cool
> 6 eggs, beaten
>
> Prepare stuffing according to package directions for dry stuffing.
> Spread in a 13X9X2 baking dish. Place chicken on top. Blend flour and
> seasoning into butter; add broth. Stir over low heat until mixture
> thickens. Stir in 1-2 Tablespoons of hot mixture into eggs; return to
> broth. Pour broth over chicken; bake at 325 degrees 40-45 minutes until
> firm. Cool slightly; cut in squares. Serve with pimento mushroom sauce.
>
> Pimento Mushroom Sauce:
>
> 1 can condensed mushroom soup
> 1/4 c. milk
> 1 c. sour cream
> 1/4 c. pimento, chopped
>
> Combine all ingredients; stir over low heat until hot. Pour sauce over
> squares of chicken. Yield: 12 servings
>
> Okay... what sounds wrong here? "Squares of chicken" jumped right off
> the page It also appears the people who edited the 'Recipes on
> Parade' cookbooks were extremely fond of semi-colons.
>
> Jill

Looks like we're both having fun looking through our old cookbooks.
Here's one called Frozen Chicken Salad. Can I say disgusting this time
without questioned about it? lol

http://oi45.tinypic.com/351sj8i.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 22:51:28 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> Looks like we're both having fun looking through our old cookbooks.
> Here's one called Frozen Chicken Salad. Can I say disgusting this time
> without questioned about it? lol
>
> http://oi45.tinypic.com/351sj8i.jpg

To be perfectly honest, it looks like it would fit in with other
chicken salad recipe of the times... until they decided to freeze it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Look, no noodles! And yes, eggs in this... whatever the heck this is.
>
> The recipe appears to be a collaborative effort by Mrs. A. Hamilton
> Evans, Mrs. W. R. Puckett and Mrs. Robert H. Richards. (Notice women
> of that era didn't have their own first names. LOL)
>
> Chicken 'N Stuffing Scallop
> (Uh oh.) With Pimento Mushroom Sauce
>
> 1 8-oz. pkg. seasoned stuffing
> 3 c. chicken, cubed
> 1/2 c. butter, melted
> 1/2 c. flour
> 1/4 tsp. salt
> dash of pepper
> 4 c. chicken broth, cool
> 6 eggs, beaten
>
> Prepare stuffing according to package directions for dry stuffing.
> Spread in a 13X9X2 baking dish. Place chicken on top. Blend flour
> and seasoning into butter; add broth. Stir over low heat until
> mixture thickens. Stir in 1-2 Tablespoons of hot mixture into eggs;
> return to broth. Pour broth over chicken; bake at 325 degrees 40-45
> minutes until firm. Cool slightly; cut in squares. Serve with
> pimento mushroom sauce.
> Pimento Mushroom Sauce:
>
> 1 can condensed mushroom soup
> 1/4 c. milk
> 1 c. sour cream
> 1/4 c. pimento, chopped
>
> Combine all ingredients; stir over low heat until hot. Pour sauce
> over squares of chicken. Yield: 12 servings
>
> Okay... what sounds wrong here? "Squares of chicken" jumped right off
> the page It also appears the people who edited the 'Recipes on
> Parade' cookbooks were extremely fond of semi-colons.
>
> Jill

I think I have seen this recipe before but was not tempted to try it. I
have made a stuffing casserole. It was my own recipe. There was no cream
of anything in it though.

I also think that in the old days it was a lot more common to use semi
colons. I say this because when I transferred my first novel to Word on my
computer, I kept getting indications of typos. Kept telling me that I
needed semi colons. So I put them in. Then I tried reading through it.
And realized that it looked really stupid. Novels do not read like that.
Once in a while you'll see a semi colon but it wasn't anything nearly like
what mind looked like. I wound up never changing it. Would be too much of
a PITA to go through it and remove them all. Maybe one day when I have
literally nothing better to do. Subsequent versions of Word do not do this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> On 3/18/2013 5:56 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Look, no noodles! And yes, eggs in this... whatever the heck this
>> is. The recipe appears to be a collaborative effort by Mrs. A. Hamilton
>> Evans, Mrs. W. R. Puckett and Mrs. Robert H. Richards. (Notice
>> women of that era didn't have their own first names. LOL)
>>
>> Chicken 'N Stuffing Scallop
>> (Uh oh.) With Pimento Mushroom Sauce
>>
>> 1 8-oz. pkg. seasoned stuffing
>> 3 c. chicken, cubed
>> 1/2 c. butter, melted
>> 1/2 c. flour
>> 1/4 tsp. salt
>> dash of pepper
>> 4 c. chicken broth, cool
>> 6 eggs, beaten
>>
>> Prepare stuffing according to package directions for dry stuffing.
>> Spread in a 13X9X2 baking dish. Place chicken on top. Blend flour
>> and seasoning into butter; add broth. Stir over low heat until
>> mixture thickens. Stir in 1-2 Tablespoons of hot mixture into eggs;
>> return to broth. Pour broth over chicken; bake at 325 degrees 40-45
>> minutes until firm. Cool slightly; cut in squares. Serve with
>> pimento mushroom sauce. Pimento Mushroom Sauce:
>>
>> 1 can condensed mushroom soup
>> 1/4 c. milk
>> 1 c. sour cream
>> 1/4 c. pimento, chopped
>>
>> Combine all ingredients; stir over low heat until hot. Pour sauce
>> over squares of chicken. Yield: 12 servings
>>
>> Okay... what sounds wrong here? "Squares of chicken" jumped right
>> off the page It also appears the people who edited the 'Recipes
>> on Parade' cookbooks were extremely fond of semi-colons.
>>
>> Jill

> Looks like we're both having fun looking through our old cookbooks.
> Here's one called Frozen Chicken Salad. Can I say disgusting this
> time without questioned about it? lol
>
> http://oi45.tinypic.com/351sj8i.jpg

I don't know what cookbook that is from but I either had it or maybe still
do. I made the chicken hash and remember seeing the Mock Terrapin Stew.
Would have made the creamed chicken but didn't know what that meant to serve
it. Ring or croustades?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2013 12:59 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I bought this magazine at a used book store just for this recipe. It
> was published the same month I was born. What's scary is that I think
> I have all the ingredients to make this (if I use tomato sauce inseatd
> of tomato juice). Can anybody help me with the, "garnish with
> poinsettia flowers of pimiento and green pepper."?
>
> Holiday Buffet Loaf
> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.
>
> Mrs. J.C Grigsby, Lehigh Acres, Florida, says this is a dish she
> serves often for bridge luncheons. With it she serves fruit
> salad, celery and carrot sticks.
>
> Green Layer:
> ---------------------------------
> 1 package lime-flavored gelatin
> 1 cup boiling water
> 3/4 cup ice
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 3 tablespoons vinegar
> 1 cup grated cucumber
> 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
> 1/2 cup chopped celery
>
> Disolve gelatin in hot water. Add cold water, salt, and vinegar.
> Chill until slightly thickened. Add vegetables and pour into
> mold. Chill until firm.
>
> Red Layer
> ------------------------------------
> 1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
> 1/2 cup cold water
> 1 cup tomato juice
> 1 teaspoon onion juice
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 2 cups ground cooked turkey
>
> Soak gelatin in cold water. Heat tomato juice; add gelatin and
> stir until completely dissolved. Chill until slightly thickened.
> Fold in seasonings and turkey. Put mixture over green layer and
> chill until firm. Unmold and garnish with poinsettia flowers of
> pimiento and green pepper.
>
> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.

I guess they want you to make the center of the flower out of pimento
and the petals with green pepper. That doesn't appeal to me one bit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>I bought this magazine at a used book store just for this recipe. It
> was published the same month I was born. What's scary is that I think
> I have all the ingredients to make this (if I use tomato sauce inseatd
> of tomato juice). Can anybody help me with the, "garnish with
> poinsettia flowers of pimiento and green pepper."?
>
> Holiday Buffet Loaf
> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.
>
> Mrs. J.C Grigsby, Lehigh Acres, Florida, says this is a dish she
> serves often for bridge luncheons. With it she serves fruit
> salad, celery and carrot sticks.
>
> Green Layer:
> ---------------------------------
> 1 package lime-flavored gelatin
> 1 cup boiling water
> 3/4 cup ice
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 3 tablespoons vinegar
> 1 cup grated cucumber
> 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
> 1/2 cup chopped celery
>
> Disolve gelatin in hot water. Add cold water, salt, and vinegar.
> Chill until slightly thickened. Add vegetables and pour into
> mold. Chill until firm.
>
> Red Layer
> ------------------------------------
> 1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
> 1/2 cup cold water
> 1 cup tomato juice
> 1 teaspoon onion juice
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 2 cups ground cooked turkey
>
> Soak gelatin in cold water. Heat tomato juice; add gelatin and
> stir until completely dissolved. Chill until slightly thickened.
> Fold in seasonings and turkey. Put mixture over green layer and
> chill until firm. Unmold and garnish with poinsettia flowers of
> pimiento and green pepper.
>
> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.

Uh... That one made me want to hurl! I did do Jell-O with chopped raw
veggies in it while pregnant but I can't remember why now. Must have been
some reason. I do remember having a couple of trays of little cups in the
fridge. One was the Jell-O and the other was a combination of Jell-O,
Jell-O pudding and assorted berries that had been cooked in the stuff. I
know that doing the berries like that was an attempt to get me to eat them.
Because I don't really like fruit. And I didn't really like those either.
So I didn't make those for long. And I eventually gave up on eating the
fruit. Didn't seem to have affected Angela any. Dietician said she would
suffer if I didn't eat 5 pieces of fruit daily. Most days I did manage to
eat one. Or at least part of one.

Do they even make onion juice any more? And what would you use it for?
Aside from this recipe that is...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 3/19/2013 12:59 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> I bought this magazine at a used book store just for this recipe. It
>> was published the same month I was born. What's scary is that I think
>> I have all the ingredients to make this (if I use tomato sauce inseatd
>> of tomato juice). Can anybody help me with the, "garnish with
>> poinsettia flowers of pimiento and green pepper."?
>>
>> Holiday Buffet Loaf
>> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.
>>
>> Mrs. J.C Grigsby, Lehigh Acres, Florida, says this is a dish she
>> serves often for bridge luncheons. With it she serves fruit
>> salad, celery and carrot sticks.
>>
>> Green Layer:
>> ---------------------------------
>> 1 package lime-flavored gelatin
>> 1 cup boiling water
>> 3/4 cup ice
>> 1 teaspoon salt
>> 3 tablespoons vinegar
>> 1 cup grated cucumber
>> 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
>> 1/2 cup chopped celery
>>
>> Disolve gelatin in hot water. Add cold water, salt, and vinegar.
>> Chill until slightly thickened. Add vegetables and pour into
>> mold. Chill until firm.
>>
>> Red Layer
>> ------------------------------------
>> 1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
>> 1/2 cup cold water
>> 1 cup tomato juice
>> 1 teaspoon onion juice
>> 1 teaspoon salt
>> 2 cups ground cooked turkey
>>
>> Soak gelatin in cold water. Heat tomato juice; add gelatin and
>> stir until completely dissolved. Chill until slightly thickened.
>> Fold in seasonings and turkey. Put mixture over green layer and
>> chill until firm. Unmold and garnish with poinsettia flowers of
>> pimiento and green pepper.
>>
>> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.
>>

> I guess they want you to make the center of the flower out of pimento and
> the petals with green pepper. That doesn't appeal to me one bit.

They used a lot of pimentos in the old days. And slices of green stuffed
olives.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-19, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Green Layer:
> ---------------------------------
> 1 package lime-flavored gelatin

> 1 cup grated cucumber
> 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
> 1/2 cup chopped celery

> Red Layer
> ------------------------------------
> 1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin

> 1 cup tomato juice
> 1 teaspoon onion juice
> 2 cups ground cooked turkey

> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.

Doesn't sound at all outta line with those times. JellO molds were
insanely popular in the 50s and early 60s. I literally grew up on
them. Raw green veggies like celery and cabbage and even cottage
cheese in a lime JellO were classic everyday standards and not
uncommon in restaurants. By the late 60s, they were pretty much a
done deal, rebellious youth having protested that food trend into
obscure history. JellO does not make for a good munchie.`

Concerning the above recipe, I'd try it --once-- though I'm at a loss
as to how one goes about juicing an onion. Didn't someone make a
little plastic bottle of onion juice shaped kinda like an onion, the
plastic cap coming to a curved point, like an onion sprout? My geezer
brain struggles with some such memory.

What I find fascinating is that Southern Living Magazine goes back
that far. I had no idea.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-03-19, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Green Layer:
>> ---------------------------------
>> 1 package lime-flavored gelatin

>> 1 cup grated cucumber
>> 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
>> 1/2 cup chopped celery

>> Red Layer
>> ------------------------------------
>> 1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin

>> 1 cup tomato juice
>> 1 teaspoon onion juice
>> 2 cups ground cooked turkey

>> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.

> Doesn't sound at all outta line with those times. JellO molds were
> insanely popular in the 50s and early 60s. I literally grew up on
> them. Raw green veggies like celery and cabbage and even cottage
> cheese in a lime JellO were classic everyday standards and not
> uncommon in restaurants. By the late 60s, they were pretty much a
> done deal, rebellious youth having protested that food trend into
> obscure history. JellO does not make for a good munchie.`
>
> Concerning the above recipe, I'd try it --once-- though I'm at a loss
> as to how one goes about juicing an onion. Didn't someone make a
> little plastic bottle of onion juice shaped kinda like an onion, the
> plastic cap coming to a curved point, like an onion sprout? My geezer
> brain struggles with some such memory.
>
> What I find fascinating is that Southern Living Magazine goes back
> that far. I had no idea.
>
> nb

My maternal grandma was big into copper stuff. She had the Revereware
copper bottomed pans. She was very proud of them and polished the bottoms
after every use. She also had a collection of copper Jell-O molds. I am
not sure if she actually used them or not. They hung on the wall and we
were not allowed to touch them. I do remember her being really big on
Jell-O salads though so she might have.

My mom said that Jell-O was quite a big deal when she was a kid. I could be
wrong on this but I think refrigerators were being made in those days but
most people still did not have them. They only had the ice box. So in
order to make the Jell-O, it had to be done when there was snow outside.
The bowl would be set in the snow so it would set up. Otherwise they could
set it out on the back porch on a cold day and hope for the best.

When I was a kid, my mom made Jell-O a lot. Not really sure why but she did
seem fond of it. She really liked to do the quick set method with the ice.
And for some reason that appealed to me. I liked to stir in the cubes and
watch it set up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> My maternal grandma was big into copper stuff. She had the Revereware
> copper bottomed pans. She was very proud of them and polished the bottoms
> after every use.

She had a lot of spare time then. I have and use the Revereware copper
bottom cookware almost exclusively. I've got 3 frying pans (3 sizes), 6
sauce pans (4 different sizes) and two larger pots...a 5qt and an 8qt. All
with the interchangeable lids.

I tried once to keep the copper bottoms clean. Yeah right! All of mine now
have nicely seasoned black bottoms hiding that nifty copper.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2013 6:14 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-03-19, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Green Layer:
>> ---------------------------------
>> 1 package lime-flavored gelatin

>> 1 cup grated cucumber
>> 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
>> 1/2 cup chopped celery

>> Red Layer
>> ------------------------------------
>> 1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin

>> 1 cup tomato juice
>> 1 teaspoon onion juice
>> 2 cups ground cooked turkey

>> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.

> Doesn't sound at all outta line with those times. JellO molds were
> insanely popular in the 50s and early 60s. I literally grew up on
> them. Raw green veggies like celery and cabbage and even cottage
> cheese in a lime JellO were classic everyday standards and not
> uncommon in restaurants. By the late 60s, they were pretty much a
> done deal, rebellious youth having protested that food trend into
> obscure history. JellO does not make for a good munchie.`
>
> Concerning the above recipe, I'd try it --once-- though I'm at a loss
> as to how one goes about juicing an onion. Didn't someone make a
> little plastic bottle of onion juice shaped kinda like an onion, the
> plastic cap coming to a curved point, like an onion sprout? My geezer
> brain struggles with some such memory.
>
> What I find fascinating is that Southern Living Magazine goes back
> that far. I had no idea.
>
> nb

Yes, onion juice came in a bottle shaped like an onion. I may have even
bought it once although I don't recall why. A quick google search shows
you can buy onion juice but it's not in a cute onion-shaped bottle anymore.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2013 7:43 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> My maternal grandma was big into copper stuff. She had the Revereware
> copper bottomed pans. She was very proud of them and polished the bottoms
> after every use. She also had a collection of copper Jell-O molds. I am
> not sure if she actually used them or not. They hung on the wall and we
> were not allowed to touch them. I do remember her being really big on
> Jell-O salads though so she might have.

Both my aunt and my mother had the Revereware. (Actually, so do I.) My
aunt polished the copper bottoms religiously. My mother didn't and I
don't bother, either.

Mom had the copper Jell-O molds (and yes, I recall her using them). She
gave them to me over 20 years ago. They're hanging on the wall above
the cabinets in kitchen.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> My maternal grandma was big into copper stuff. She had the Revereware
>> copper bottomed pans. She was very proud of them and polished the
>> bottoms
>> after every use.

> She had a lot of spare time then. I have and use the Revereware copper
> bottom cookware almost exclusively. I've got 3 frying pans (3 sizes), 6
> sauce pans (4 different sizes) and two larger pots...a 5qt and an 8qt.
> All
> with the interchangeable lids.
>
> I tried once to keep the copper bottoms clean. Yeah right! All of mine
> now
> have nicely seasoned black bottoms hiding that nifty copper.
>
> G.

My first set of pans was crap. Enamel but they matched my Corelle. Didn't
last any time at all. They chipped horribly. I replaced them with another
cheaper set of enamel. No lids came with this set and I think it was
something like $3.99 for the three pans. They did chip eventually but not
in the area where the food would touch while it was cooking. I did keep
those for a while after I got the Revere but mainly only used them for craft
projects and such.

I always get rid of any Revere frying pan that comes in the set. I did try
them but the food always stuck. I don't really fry much anyway so no
biggie. I did polish the bottoms weekly at first. Then monthly. Then my
friend said I could use ketchup on them. I did try it. It did work but
then I thought... Why am I doing this? And for the most part I stopped.
Once in a while I'd make a half assed attempt at polishing them.

I lost my most used 2 Qt. pan due to a freak accident with an old stove.
Heard a noise like a Piccolo Pete firework going off. Looked into the
kitchen to see blue sparks shooting from the stove. They charred a bit of
the ceiling but luckily no fire. Then an explosion! What happened was that
the outside tip of the electrical burner shot off and shot a hole clear
through the pan. I was boiling some pasta at the time. Water went
everywhere! What a mess! Landlord apologized to me and repaired the stove.
I was just lucky to have been in the other room when it happened!

Brother replaced the pan for me for my birthday but he bought me a double
boiler. It was actually just the same pan but with an insertable metal
bowl. I have never used it much as a double boiler but I do use the bowl
from time to time.

I had put my pans in the dishwasher and this made the handles go all dull.
And some of the handles got loose. So I decided to replace the set. But
for some reason the 2 Qt. was not included. So I had to buy that
separately. I did keep the old 2 Qt. and use it for making popcorn. I also
kept all of the lids. They changed the configuration if you will of the
pans now. So all of the lids do fit something. Just maybe not the same pan
they once fit.

Then I made the comment to my mom about all the extra lids that I had. She
just heard "lid" and thought that I needed lids. So she bought me this
horkingly huge universal pan lid. I've never used it.

I had a Rachael Ray pasta pot that I loved but parts of it began to show
signs of wear. I replaced it a few months ago. They have taken care of the
problems I had with it with a redesign. I also had a Circulon pan which I
loved but I think I destroyed it with pan spray. I replaced it and also got
another. Have a big skillet that daughter bought me as a present and also
an Orgreenic pan.

But mostly when I use the stove, I still use the old 2 Qt. I just made some
rice in it. I don't use the proper lid though. I got one of those Kuhn
Rikon things to prevent boil overs. I have a red one and just got a purple
one too. Size large. Really want an extra large as well but I think they
quit making that size. I use that pan so much that I just keep it on the
burner of the stove.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Yes, onion juice came in a bottle shaped like an onion. I may have even
> bought it once although I don't recall why. A quick google search shows
> you can buy onion juice but it's not in a cute onion-shaped bottle
> anymore.
>
> Jill

I remember the onion bottle. I had two teachers in elementary school that
were roommates. They were constantly playing practical jokes on each other.
And they'd tell us what they did. One claimed that he used the onion juice
in the other one's coffee cup. Said that when it dried, you couldn't tell.
So that when Mr. H. put his coffee in there, he'd get a nasty surprise. We
kids talked about this and none of us could believe this would actually
work. I did look for the stuff at the store. That's when I saw the bottle.
But my mom wouldn't let me buy it. I wanted to try this trick on my dad.
But I didn't want to do it badly enough to spend my allowance on it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I always get rid of any Revere frying pan that comes in the set. I did try
> them but the food always stuck.

You just needed to learn how to use them properly, Julie. Depending on what
you are cooking, it's just a matter of adjusting the temp. I rarely have
things stick and when I do, it was my mistake.

Two of my frying pans are even semi-seasoned...some black crud left on the
stainless steel. I learned long ago that it's not necessary to go after all
this residue with a brillo pad. Leaving some of it is fine.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I had two teachers in elementary school that
> were roommates. They were constantly playing practical jokes on each other.
> And they'd tell us what they did. One claimed that he used the onion juice
> in the other one's coffee cup. Said that when it dried, you couldn't tell.
> So that when Mr. H. put his coffee in there, he'd get a nasty surprise. We
> kids talked about this

And I'll bet you kids never suspected that those two were secretly ***.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/18/2013 4:56 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Look, no noodles! And yes, eggs in this... whatever the heck this is.
> The recipe appears to be a collaborative effort by Mrs. A. Hamilton
> Evans, Mrs. W. R. Puckett and Mrs. Robert H. Richards. (Notice women
> of that era didn't have their own first names. LOL)

I suspect what it means is that all three women contributed the same
(or essentially the same) recipe to the cookbook. That happens a lot
with church or community cookbooks.

> Chicken 'N Stuffing Scallop
> (Uh oh.) With Pimento Mushroom Sauce
>
> 1 8-oz. pkg. seasoned stuffing
> 3 c. chicken, cubed
> 1/2 c. butter, melted
> 1/2 c. flour
> 1/4 tsp. salt
> dash of pepper
> 4 c. chicken broth, cool
> 6 eggs, beaten
>
> Prepare stuffing according to package directions for dry stuffing.
> Spread in a 13X9X2 baking dish. Place chicken on top. Blend flour
> and seasoning into butter; add broth. Stir over low heat until
> mixture thickens. Stir in 1-2 Tablespoons of hot mixture into eggs;
> return to broth. Pour broth over chicken; bake at 325 degrees 40-45
> minutes until firm. Cool slightly; cut in squares. Serve with
> pimento mushroom sauce.
>
> Pimento Mushroom Sauce:
>
> 1 can condensed mushroom soup
> 1/4 c. milk
> 1 c. sour cream
> 1/4 c. pimento, chopped
>
> Combine all ingredients; stir over low heat until hot. Pour sauce
> over squares of chicken. Yield: 12 servings
>
> Okay... what sounds wrong here?

The proportions sound ridiculous - a quart of broth and six eggs to
eight ounces of stuffing? It sounds like the outcome would be
sage-flavored mush.

To me, this appears to be an early version of a popular hot dish
nowadays that involves cubed cooked chicken mixed with cream of
chicken or mushroom soup, milk and/or sour cream. That's the bottom
layer. Then a package of stuffing is prepared with broth, and
sometimes with added ingredients (cranberries, wild rice, etc) and
spread atop the chicken layer. Bake, cut into squares and serve.
Instant chicken and gravy with stuffing. It's good. It also freezes
very well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2013 9:18 AM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I had two teachers in elementary school that
>> were roommates. They were constantly playing practical jokes on each other.
>> And they'd tell us what they did. One claimed that he used the onion juice
>> in the other one's coffee cup. Said that when it dried, you couldn't tell.
>> So that when Mr. H. put his coffee in there, he'd get a nasty surprise. We
>> kids talked about this

> And I'll bet you kids never suspected that those two were secretly ***.

Hey! They might have been like Oscar and Felix from 'The Odd Couple'.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 3/19/2013 9:18 AM, Gary wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> I had two teachers in elementary school that
> >> were roommates. They were constantly playing practical jokes on each other.
> >> And they'd tell us what they did. One claimed that he used the onion juice
> >> in the other one's coffee cup. Said that when it dried, you couldn't tell.
> >> So that when Mr. H. put his coffee in there, he'd get a nasty surprise. We
> >> kids talked about this

> > And I'll bet you kids never suspected that those two were secretly ***.
> >

> Hey! They might have been like Oscar and Felix from 'The Odd Couple'.
>
> Jill

I was thinking more like Bryan and John. heheheh Just kidding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I had two teachers in elementary school that
>> were roommates. They were constantly playing practical jokes on each
>> other.
>> And they'd tell us what they did. One claimed that he used the onion
>> juice
>> in the other one's coffee cup. Said that when it dried, you couldn't
>> tell.
>> So that when Mr. H. put his coffee in there, he'd get a nasty surprise.
>> We
>> kids talked about this

> And I'll bet you kids never suspected that those two were secretly ***.

I do think the one was. The other got married, to a woman. We all went to
the wedding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/19/2013 9:18 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I had two teachers in elementary school that
>>> were roommates. They were constantly playing practical jokes on each
>>> other.
>>> And they'd tell us what they did. One claimed that he used the onion
>>> juice
>>> in the other one's coffee cup. Said that when it dried, you couldn't
>>> tell.
>>> So that when Mr. H. put his coffee in there, he'd get a nasty surprise.
>>> We
>>> kids talked about this

>> And I'll bet you kids never suspected that those two were secretly ***.
>>

> Hey! They might have been like Oscar and Felix from 'The Odd Couple'.

They actually kind of were... Now that I think about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown wrote:

>> > And I'll bet you kids never suspected that those two were secretly ***.
>> >

>> Hey! They might have been like Oscar and Felix from 'The Odd Couple'.
>>
>> Jill

> I was thinking more like Bryan and John. heheheh Just kidding.

Ohhhhhhh.... I don't want to think about that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Moe DeLoughan" > wrote in message
> On 3/18/2013 4:56 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Look, no noodles! And yes, eggs in this... whatever the heck this is.
>> The recipe appears to be a collaborative effort by Mrs. A. Hamilton
>> Evans, Mrs. W. R. Puckett and Mrs. Robert H. Richards. (Notice women
>> of that era didn't have their own first names. LOL)

> I suspect what it means is that all three women contributed the same (or
> essentially the same) recipe to the cookbook. That happens a lot with
> church or community cookbooks.
>
>> Chicken 'N Stuffing Scallop
>> (Uh oh.) With Pimento Mushroom Sauce
>>
>> 1 8-oz. pkg. seasoned stuffing
>> 3 c. chicken, cubed
>> 1/2 c. butter, melted
>> 1/2 c. flour
>> 1/4 tsp. salt
>> dash of pepper
>> 4 c. chicken broth, cool
>> 6 eggs, beaten
>>
>> Prepare stuffing according to package directions for dry stuffing.
>> Spread in a 13X9X2 baking dish. Place chicken on top. Blend flour
>> and seasoning into butter; add broth. Stir over low heat until
>> mixture thickens. Stir in 1-2 Tablespoons of hot mixture into eggs;
>> return to broth. Pour broth over chicken; bake at 325 degrees 40-45
>> minutes until firm. Cool slightly; cut in squares. Serve with
>> pimento mushroom sauce.
>>
>> Pimento Mushroom Sauce:
>>
>> 1 can condensed mushroom soup
>> 1/4 c. milk
>> 1 c. sour cream
>> 1/4 c. pimento, chopped
>>
>> Combine all ingredients; stir over low heat until hot. Pour sauce
>> over squares of chicken. Yield: 12 servings
>>
>> Okay... what sounds wrong here?

> The proportions sound ridiculous - a quart of broth and six eggs to eight
> ounces of stuffing? It sounds like the outcome would be sage-flavored
> mush.
>
> To me, this appears to be an early version of a popular hot dish nowadays
> that involves cubed cooked chicken mixed with cream of chicken or mushroom
> soup, milk and/or sour cream. That's the bottom layer. Then a package of
> stuffing is prepared with broth, and sometimes with added ingredients
> (cranberries, wild rice, etc) and spread atop the chicken layer. Bake, cut
> into squares and serve. Instant chicken and gravy with stuffing. It's
> good. It also freezes very well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Moe DeLoughan" > wrote in message
> On 3/18/2013 4:56 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Look, no noodles! And yes, eggs in this... whatever the heck this is.
>> The recipe appears to be a collaborative effort by Mrs. A. Hamilton
>> Evans, Mrs. W. R. Puckett and Mrs. Robert H. Richards. (Notice women
>> of that era didn't have their own first names. LOL)

> I suspect what it means is that all three women contributed the same (or
> essentially the same) recipe to the cookbook. That happens a lot with
> church or community cookbooks.
>
>> Chicken 'N Stuffing Scallop
>> (Uh oh.) With Pimento Mushroom Sauce
>>
>> 1 8-oz. pkg. seasoned stuffing
>> 3 c. chicken, cubed
>> 1/2 c. butter, melted
>> 1/2 c. flour
>> 1/4 tsp. salt
>> dash of pepper
>> 4 c. chicken broth, cool
>> 6 eggs, beaten
>>
>> Prepare stuffing according to package directions for dry stuffing.
>> Spread in a 13X9X2 baking dish. Place chicken on top. Blend flour
>> and seasoning into butter; add broth. Stir over low heat until
>> mixture thickens. Stir in 1-2 Tablespoons of hot mixture into eggs;
>> return to broth. Pour broth over chicken; bake at 325 degrees 40-45
>> minutes until firm. Cool slightly; cut in squares. Serve with
>> pimento mushroom sauce.
>>
>> Pimento Mushroom Sauce:
>>
>> 1 can condensed mushroom soup
>> 1/4 c. milk
>> 1 c. sour cream
>> 1/4 c. pimento, chopped
>>
>> Combine all ingredients; stir over low heat until hot. Pour sauce
>> over squares of chicken. Yield: 12 servings
>>
>> Okay... what sounds wrong here?

> The proportions sound ridiculous - a quart of broth and six eggs to eight
> ounces of stuffing? It sounds like the outcome would be sage-flavored
> mush.
>
> To me, this appears to be an early version of a popular hot dish nowadays
> that involves cubed cooked chicken mixed with cream of chicken or mushroom
> soup, milk and/or sour cream. That's the bottom layer. Then a package of
> stuffing is prepared with broth, and sometimes with added ingredients
> (cranberries, wild rice, etc) and spread atop the chicken layer. Bake, cut
> into squares and serve. Instant chicken and gravy with stuffing. It's
> good. It also freezes very well.

I used to take slices of turkey and roll them up with stuffing in the
middle. Cover with gravy and bake or nuke until hot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2013 10:21 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I had two teachers in elementary school that
>>> were roommates. They were constantly playing practical jokes on each
>>> other.
>>> And they'd tell us what they did. One claimed that he used the onion
>>> juice
>>> in the other one's coffee cup. Said that when it dried, you couldn't
>>> tell.
>>> So that when Mr. H. put his coffee in there, he'd get a nasty surprise.
>>> We
>>> kids talked about this

>> And I'll bet you kids never suspected that those two were secretly ***.
>>

> I do think the one was. The other got married, to a woman. We all went to
> the wedding.

One of your teachers invited the class to the wedding? That's odd.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 11:59*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> I bought this magazine at a used book store just for this recipe. *It
> was published the same month I was born. *What's scary is that I think
> I have all the ingredients to make this (if I use tomato sauce inseatd
> of tomato juice). *Can anybody help me with the, "garnish with
> poinsettia flowers of pimiento and green pepper."?
>
> Holiday Buffet Loaf
> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.
>
> Mrs. J.C Grigsby, Lehigh Acres, Florida, says this is a dish she
> serves often for bridge luncheons. With it she serves fruit
> salad, celery and carrot sticks.
>
> Green Layer:
> ---------------------------------
> 1 package lime-flavored gelatin
> 1 cup boiling water
> 3/4 cup ice
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 3 tablespoons vinegar
> 1 cup grated cucumber
> 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
> 1/2 cup chopped celery
>
> Disolve gelatin in hot water. Add cold water, salt, and vinegar.
> Chill until slightly thickened. Add vegetables and pour into
> mold. Chill until firm.
>
> Red Layer
> ------------------------------------
> 1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
> 1/2 cup cold water
> 1 cup tomato juice
> 1 teaspoon onion juice
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 2 cups ground cooked turkey
>
> Soak gelatin in cold water. Heat tomato juice; add gelatin and
> stir until completely dissolved. Chill until slightly thickened.
> Fold in seasonings and turkey. Put mixture over green layer and
> chill until firm. Unmold and garnish with poinsettia flowers of
> pimiento and green pepper.
>
> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.

Similar to an aspic recipe, sort of.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Mar 2013 10:14:57 GMT, notbob > wrote:

snip

>Concerning the above recipe, I'd try it --once-- though I'm at a loss
>as to how one goes about juicing an onion.

snip
>nb

you'd grate the onion on your box grater and save the resulting juice.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/18/2013 10:27 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 22:51:28 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>> Looks like we're both having fun looking through our old cookbooks.
>> Here's one called Frozen Chicken Salad. Can I say disgusting this time
>> without questioned about it? lol
>>
>> http://oi45.tinypic.com/351sj8i.jpg

> To be perfectly honest, it looks like it would fit in with other
> chicken salad recipe of the times... until they decided to freeze it.

Maybe that sounded appealing in the days when most people didn't have
air conditioning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/19/2013 10:21 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> And I'll bet you kids never suspected that those two were secretly ***.
>>>

>> I do think the one was. The other got married, to a woman. We all went
>> the wedding.
>>

> One of your teachers invited the class to the wedding? That's odd.

I don't think it's odd. He invited the whole class. I think we all went.
Angela's Kindergarten teacher invited her whole class to the wedding. We
went. I think only three or four other students went. Really neither of
them had a lot of guests at their weddings compared to what I've seen on TV.
For Mr. S's wedding we went to that and the reception. In those days it was
not common to have dinner at the reception. Just the cake, nuts, mints,
coffee and punch. Angela's teacher only had the kids come to the wedding.
Not the reception.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
news
> On 19 Mar 2013 10:14:57 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> snip
>>
>>Concerning the above recipe, I'd try it --once-- though I'm at a loss
>>as to how one goes about juicing an onion.

> snip
>>nb

> you'd grate the onion on your box grater and save the resulting juice.
> Janet US

Exactly what happened to me but with a Microplane.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 6:14*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2013-03-19, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> > Green Layer:
> > ---------------------------------
> > 1 package lime-flavored gelatin
> > 1 cup grated cucumber
> > 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
> > 1/2 cup chopped celery
> > Red Layer
> > ------------------------------------
> > 1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
> > 1 cup tomato juice
> > 1 teaspoon onion juice
> > 2 cups ground cooked turkey
> > Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.

> Doesn't sound at all outta line with those times. *JellO molds were
> insanely popular in the 50s and early 60s. *I literally grew up on
> them. *Raw green veggies like celery and cabbage and even cottage
> cheese in a lime JellO were classic everyday standards and not
> uncommon in restaurants. *By the late 60s, they were pretty much a
> done deal, rebellious youth having protested that food trend into
> obscure history. *JellO does not make for a good munchie.` *
>
> nb

Here's another one. It sounds awful.

Blue Cheese Spinich Mold

1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinich
1/2 cup cold water
2 env. unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup bottled chunky blue salad dressing
1 small onion, quartered
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 cup finely chopped seeded pared cucumber
1/2 cup chopped celery

Thaw spinich; drain. Pour water into electric blender container;
sprinkle gelatin over water. Pour broth into small saucepan; bring to
boiling point. Add to gelatin. Cover blender container; process at
low speed until gelatin dissolves. Add blue cheese dressing and
onion, process until smooth. Add salt, lemon juice, and spinich.
Process just until smooth. Turn into bowl; chill, stirring
occasionally, until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from spoon.
Fold in cucumber and celery. Turn into 4-cup mold. Chill until
set;garnish with tomatoes and parsley or small spinich leaves.

Source: National Grange Cookbook Bicentennial edition
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 15:37:08 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

> Blue Cheese Spinich Mold

You just reminded me of a "modern" dish that turns my stomach whenever
I think about it. Blue Cheese Cheesecake - Phooey, YUCK!

Ingredients

3/4 cup toasted bread crumbs
3/4 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 pound good-quality blue cheese, at room temperature
1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
4 eggs
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Baby greens for serving

Pear Vinaigrette, recipe follows
Candied Walnuts, recipe follows

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine bread crumbs, walnuts and
melted butter and process until thoroughly combined. Press the mixture
on the bottom and partially up the sides of an 8-inch springform pan.
Set aside.

In a mixing bowl combine blue cheese and cream cheese and mix until
smooth. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add the garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and combine well. Using a
spatula, transfer cheese mixture to the prepared pan and bake for 45
minutes to 1 hour, until the cake is golden brown and not loose in the
center.

While the cake is baking, make the Pear Vinaigrette and Candied
Walnuts.

When the cake is puffed, golden brown and not loose in the center,
transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool at least 30 minutes
before serving.

Serve the cake warm, with a salad of baby greens tossed with the Pear
Vinaigrette, garnished with the Candied Walnuts

Read more at:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ml?oc=linkback

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 7:13*pm, jmcquown > wrote:
> On 3/19/2013 6:37 PM, wrote:
>

> > Here's another one. *It sounds awful.

> > Blue Cheese Spinich Mold

> > 1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinich
> > 1/2 cup cold water
> > 2 env. unflavored gelatin
> > 1 1/2 cups beef broth
> > 1/2 cup bottled chunky blue salad dressing
> > 1 small onion, quartered
> > 1/4 tsp. salt
> > 2 tbsp. lemon juice
> > 1 cup finely chopped seeded pared cucumber
> > 1/2 cup chopped celery

> > Thaw spinich; drain. Pour water into electric blender container;
> > sprinkle gelatin over water. *Pour broth into small saucepan; bring to
> > boiling point. *Add to gelatin. *Cover blender container; process at
> > low speed until gelatin dissolves. *Add blue cheese dressing and
> > onion, process until smooth. *Add salt, lemon juice, and spinich.
> > Process just until smooth. *Turn into bowl; chill, stirring
> > occasionally, until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from spoon.
> > Fold in cucumber and celery. *Turn into 4-cup mold. *Chill until
> > set;garnish with tomatoes and parsley or small spinich leaves.

> > Source: National Grange Cookbook Bicentennial edition

> I'm guessing someone didn't know how to spell "spinach" *And yes, it
> does sound awful!
>
> Jill- Hide quoted text -

If I had taken the time, I would have changed it each time I typed it
but I was trying to type it as is. I also would have taken out most
of the semicolons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2013 7:48 PM, wrote:
> On Mar 19, 7:13 pm, jmcquown > wrote:
>> On 3/19/2013 6:37 PM, wrote:
>>

>>> Here's another one. It sounds awful.

>>> Blue Cheese Spinich Mold

>>> 1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinich
>>> 1/2 cup cold water
>>> 2 env. unflavored gelatin
>>> 1 1/2 cups beef broth
>>> 1/2 cup bottled chunky blue salad dressing
>>> 1 small onion, quartered
>>> 1/4 tsp. salt
>>> 2 tbsp. lemon juice
>>> 1 cup finely chopped seeded pared cucumber
>>> 1/2 cup chopped celery

>>> Thaw spinich; drain. Pour water into electric blender container;
>>> sprinkle gelatin over water. Pour broth into small saucepan; bring to
>>> boiling point. Add to gelatin. Cover blender container; process at
>>> low speed until gelatin dissolves. Add blue cheese dressing and
>>> onion, process until smooth. Add salt, lemon juice, and spinich.
>>> Process just until smooth. Turn into bowl; chill, stirring
>>> occasionally, until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from spoon.
>>> Fold in cucumber and celery. Turn into 4-cup mold. Chill until
>>> set;garnish with tomatoes and parsley or small spinich leaves.

>>> Source: National Grange Cookbook Bicentennial edition

>> I'm guessing someone didn't know how to spell "spinach" And yes, it
>> does sound awful!
>>
>> Jill- Hide quoted text -

> If I had taken the time, I would have changed it each time I typed it
> but I was trying to type it as is. I also would have taken out most
> of the semicolons.

But that's half the charm of these old recipes! Typos and semicolons

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> I bought this magazine at a used book store just for this recipe. It
> was published the same month I was born. What's scary is that I think
> I have all the ingredients to make this (if I use tomato sauce inseatd
> of tomato juice). Can anybody help me with the, "garnish with
> poinsettia flowers of pimiento and green pepper."?
>
> Holiday Buffet Loaf
> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.
>
> Mrs. J.C Grigsby, Lehigh Acres, Florida, says this is a dish she
> serves often for bridge luncheons. With it she serves fruit
> salad, celery and carrot sticks.
>
> Green Layer:
> ---------------------------------
> 1 package lime-flavored gelatin
> 1 cup boiling water
> 3/4 cup ice
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 3 tablespoons vinegar
> 1 cup grated cucumber
> 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
> 1/2 cup chopped celery
>
> Disolve gelatin in hot water. Add cold water, salt, and vinegar.
> Chill until slightly thickened. Add vegetables and pour into
> mold. Chill until firm.
>
> Red Layer
> ------------------------------------
> 1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
> 1/2 cup cold water
> 1 cup tomato juice
> 1 teaspoon onion juice
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 2 cups ground cooked turkey
>
> Soak gelatin in cold water. Heat tomato juice; add gelatin and
> stir until completely dissolved. Chill until slightly thickened.
> Fold in seasonings and turkey. Put mixture over green layer and
> chill until firm. Unmold and garnish with poinsettia flowers of
> pimiento and green pepper.
>
> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.

This looks like it should be Christmas fare.

Yeah, I sometimes buy cookbooks that are really hideous, either in
toto or in part.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Mar 19, 6:14 am, notbob > wrote:
>> On 2013-03-19, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> Green Layer:
>>> ---------------------------------
>>> 1 package lime-flavored gelatin
>>> 1 cup grated cucumber
>>> 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
>>> 1/2 cup chopped celery
>>> Red Layer
>>> ------------------------------------
>>> 1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
>>> 1 cup tomato juice
>>> 1 teaspoon onion juice
>>> 2 cups ground cooked turkey
>>> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.

>> Doesn't sound at all outta line with those times. JellO molds were
>> insanely popular in the 50s and early 60s. I literally grew up on
>> them. Raw green veggies like celery and cabbage and even cottage
>> cheese in a lime JellO were classic everyday standards and not
>> uncommon in restaurants. By the late 60s, they were pretty much a
>> done deal, rebellious youth having protested that food trend into
>> obscure history. JellO does not make for a good munchie.`
>>
>> nb

> Here's another one. It sounds awful.
>
> Blue Cheese Spinich Mold
>
> 1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinich
> 1/2 cup cold water
> 2 env. unflavored gelatin
> 1 1/2 cups beef broth
> 1/2 cup bottled chunky blue salad dressing
> 1 small onion, quartered
> 1/4 tsp. salt
> 2 tbsp. lemon juice
> 1 cup finely chopped seeded pared cucumber
> 1/2 cup chopped celery
>
> Thaw spinich; drain. Pour water into electric blender container;
> sprinkle gelatin over water. Pour broth into small saucepan; bring to
> boiling point. Add to gelatin. Cover blender container; process at
> low speed until gelatin dissolves. Add blue cheese dressing and
> onion, process until smooth. Add salt, lemon juice, and spinich.
> Process just until smooth. Turn into bowl; chill, stirring
> occasionally, until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from spoon.
> Fold in cucumber and celery. Turn into 4-cup mold. Chill until
> set;garnish with tomatoes and parsley or small spinich leaves.
>
> Source: National Grange Cookbook Bicentennial edition

I hated going to dinners at our church. Thankfully there weren't too many
of them! Not that we went to anyway... They almost always served a square
of some kind of Jell-O and they topped it with what appeared to be a big
blob of mayo. We never figured out what it was because nobody in our family
ate it. And neither did too many of the other people. You'd think they
would have bought a clue and stopped serving it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2013 9:22 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> On 3/18/2013 4:56 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Look, no noodles! And yes, eggs in this... whatever the heck this is.
>> The recipe appears to be a collaborative effort by Mrs. A. Hamilton
>> Evans, Mrs. W. R. Puckett and Mrs. Robert H. Richards. (Notice women
>> of that era didn't have their own first names. LOL)

> I suspect what it means is that all three women contributed the same (or
> essentially the same) recipe to the cookbook. That happens a lot with
> church or community cookbooks.
>
>> Chicken 'N Stuffing Scallop
>> (Uh oh.) With Pimento Mushroom Sauce
>>
>> 1 8-oz. pkg. seasoned stuffing
>> 3 c. chicken, cubed
>> 1/2 c. butter, melted
>> 1/2 c. flour
>> 1/4 tsp. salt
>> dash of pepper
>> 4 c. chicken broth, cool
>> 6 eggs, beaten
>>
>> Prepare stuffing according to package directions for dry stuffing.
>> Spread in a 13X9X2 baking dish. Place chicken on top. Blend flour
>> and seasoning into butter; add broth. Stir over low heat until
>> mixture thickens. Stir in 1-2 Tablespoons of hot mixture into eggs;
>> return to broth. Pour broth over chicken; bake at 325 degrees 40-45
>> minutes until firm. Cool slightly; cut in squares. Serve with
>> pimento mushroom sauce.
>>
>> Pimento Mushroom Sauce:
>>
>> 1 can condensed mushroom soup
>> 1/4 c. milk
>> 1 c. sour cream
>> 1/4 c. pimento, chopped
>>
>> Combine all ingredients; stir over low heat until hot. Pour sauce
>> over squares of chicken. Yield: 12 servings
>>
>> Okay... what sounds wrong here?

> The proportions sound ridiculous - a quart of broth and six eggs to
> eight ounces of stuffing? It sounds like the outcome would be
> sage-flavored mush.
>
> To me, this appears to be an early version of a popular hot dish
> nowadays that involves cubed cooked chicken mixed with cream of chicken
> or mushroom soup, milk and/or sour cream. That's the bottom layer. Then
> a package of stuffing is prepared with broth, and sometimes with added
> ingredients (cranberries, wild rice, etc) and spread atop the chicken
> layer. Bake, cut into squares and serve. Instant chicken and gravy with
> stuffing. It's good. It also freezes very well.

It doesn't sound bad to me, either, and agree, the proportions are off.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2013 2:32 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> I bought this magazine at a used book store just for this recipe. It
>> was published the same month I was born. What's scary is that I think
>> I have all the ingredients to make this (if I use tomato sauce inseatd
>> of tomato juice). Can anybody help me with the, "garnish with
>> poinsettia flowers of pimiento and green pepper."?
>>
>> Holiday Buffet Loaf
>> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.
>>
>> Mrs. J.C Grigsby, Lehigh Acres, Florida, says this is a dish she
>> serves often for bridge luncheons. With it she serves fruit
>> salad, celery and carrot sticks.
>>
>> Green Layer:
>> ---------------------------------
>> 1 package lime-flavored gelatin
>> 1 cup boiling water
>> 3/4 cup ice
>> 1 teaspoon salt
>> 3 tablespoons vinegar
>> 1 cup grated cucumber
>> 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
>> 1/2 cup chopped celery
>>
>> Disolve gelatin in hot water. Add cold water, salt, and vinegar.
>> Chill until slightly thickened. Add vegetables and pour into
>> mold. Chill until firm.
>>
>> Red Layer
>> ------------------------------------
>> 1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
>> 1/2 cup cold water
>> 1 cup tomato juice
>> 1 teaspoon onion juice
>> 1 teaspoon salt
>> 2 cups ground cooked turkey
>>
>> Soak gelatin in cold water. Heat tomato juice; add gelatin and
>> stir until completely dissolved. Chill until slightly thickened.
>> Fold in seasonings and turkey. Put mixture over green layer and
>> chill until firm. Unmold and garnish with poinsettia flowers of
>> pimiento and green pepper.
>>
>> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.

> Uh... That one made me want to hurl! I did do Jell-O with chopped raw
> veggies in it while pregnant but I can't remember why now. Must have been
> some reason. I do remember having a couple of trays of little cups in the
> fridge. One was the Jell-O and the other was a combination of Jell-O,
> Jell-O pudding and assorted berries that had been cooked in the stuff. I
> know that doing the berries like that was an attempt to get me to eat them.
> Because I don't really like fruit. And I didn't really like those either.
> So I didn't make those for long. And I eventually gave up on eating the
> fruit. Didn't seem to have affected Angela any. Dietician said she would
> suffer if I didn't eat 5 pieces of fruit daily. Most days I did manage to
> eat one. Or at least part of one.
>
> Do they even make onion juice any more? And what would you use it for?
> Aside from this recipe that is...

I think you can make onion "juice" just by grating it on a box grater.
Save all drippings in with the grated onion.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.