Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default homemade Vanilla

this is the way I make it:
I put a sliced vanilla Bean into a container, with Sugar,
and I use it in coffee and other recipes.

When this sugar is used up, I put the vanilla
bean into some Rum, for fermentation,
to make vanilla extract.

But, some Sugar usually gets into the rum mix.
So,
does this small amount of sugar hurt my homemade vanilla,
in any way?

marc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use a split vanilla bean in a pint of vodka. Place it in a dark closet for a couple of months. Delicious.

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 16:37:38 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>I use a split vanilla bean in a pint of vodka. Place it in a dark closet for a couple of months. Delicious.

Just ONE bean?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2013 3:35 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 14:41:50 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:

>>> Don't know if it hurts it... but is the sugar really necessary?
>>>
>>> All I did a few years ago was chop up a kilo of beans, but them in
>>> bottles, then fill with 40% alcohol... was (and still is) a perfect
>>> vanilla extract.
>>>

>> A kilo of beans is a crazy amount of beans.

> It made a crazy amount of vanilla essence too, 4 x 1 litre bottles if
> memory serves me correct I'm on the third bottle now.
>
>> I have a modest amount
>> that's about 2 years old in a vacuum seal bag. How long will these beans
>> keep in this bag?

> If vaccumed sealed and kept in a fridge/freezer, I'd imagine they
> would keep for quite a long time.

thanks for the info. I haven't kept the beans refrigerated. I think I'll
start thinking up way to use them up. First thing I'll do is buy a 4 lb
bag of sugar. That would be a little less than 2 kilos. How many beans
would you suggest using? I'm thinking 4 or 5. I guess I slit them open
lengthwise? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 18:10:44 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 16:37:38 -0700 (PDT),
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I use a split vanilla bean in a pint of vodka. Place it in a dark closet
> >>for a couple of months. Delicious.

> > Just ONE bean?

> I used several in a small bottle of bourbon, it's still in the closet 6
> months later.

I'm taking to that rum idea. Sounds good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JeBus, yes, I use one vanilla bean sliced down the middle, in one pint of vodka. It sits in a closet for two or three months before it's dark enough to use. It's delicious. I am usually using one while another brews.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Don't know if it hurts it... but is the sugar really necessary?

It is if you want vanilla-flavored sugar. Duh.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 11:25:25 -0000, Janet > wrote:

> I save small single-serve glass drinks bottles with a screw cap, for
> making it in.

Great idea, I do too! I've been buying them recently for cooking
purposes, so I think I'll try that. Just one bean per bottle and do I
split it or what?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/13 12:12 PM, sf wrote:
> Just one bean per bottle and do I
> split it or what?

If you split the bottle, it won't hold any liquid, will it?

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/13 12:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 17/03/2013 11:11 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Rather than use the vanilla bean and waiting a few months, I'm just
>> wondering if a few drops of vanilla extract would do the same thing
>> immediately? Just wondering.

> Hmm.... you're thinking that maybe instead of making your own vanilla
> extract by soaking vanilla beans in alcohol you might use vanilla
> extract, which is alcohol in which vanilla beans have been soaked.
>
> Gee. I am not sure that would work.

Please do not tap on the glass, sir.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pltrgyst wrote:

> > Just one bean per bottle and do I
> > split it or what?

> If you split the bottle, it won't hold any liquid, will it?

You haven't switched to self-healing bottles? Another Luddite rears his
head...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 16, 7:37*pm, wrote:
> I use a split vanilla bean in a pint of vodka. *Place it in a dark closet for a couple of months. *Delicious.
>
> Denise in NH

I did this for an entire YEAR and it still was kinda lousy. Next
time, rum it will be.

I shook it often - maybe that was the wrong move to make.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>sockmonkey wrote:
>>
>> JeBus, yes, I use one vanilla bean sliced down the middle, in one pint
>> of vodka. It sits in a closet for two or three months before it's dark
>> enough to use. It's delicious. I am usually using one while another
>> brews.

>Rather than use the vanilla bean and waiting a few months, I'm just
>wondering if a few drops of vanilla extract would do the same thing
>immediately? Just wondering.

Better than that is to use vanilla flavoring... thanks to modern
science about twenty years ago chemists produced vanilla flavoring
that no human can differenciate from vanilla extract (maybe a trained
dog can sniff it out). It may make sense to use vanilla beans for ice
cream but not if the bean is heated to extract its flavor or for
anything that's heated like baking a cake, heat destroys the flavor of
real vanilla in beans or extract to the point that cooking with
vanilla flavoring tastes better. And vanilla flavoring is better for
flavoring sugar because over time real vanilla deteriorates rapidly
whereas vanilla flavoring holds up much longer. Also light destroys
real vanilla, that's why extract is found in dark bottles, vanilla
flavoring is in clear bottles because it has a much longer shelf life
even without protection from light. Btw, the amber color of vanilla
extract is from burnt sugar, somehow that makes people psychologically
think it's a stronger flavored product, same way those tiny specks do
in vanilla ice cream... if they were strained out the flavor would be
precisely the same but pinheads would think they were being gyped. I
have an ancient 8oz bottle of McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract that says
it contains "vanilla bean extractives in water, alcohol (35%), and
corn syrup". I have about 1/3 of the bottle remaining, I don't use a
lot of vanilla anymore... I must have this bottle over 20 years... the
last time I used some was nearly ten years ago when I cooked an 8 qt
potful of tapioca pudding, so long ago that I forgot I had it and so
about two years ago when I was at Sam's Club they had Tone's 100% pure
vanilla extract on sale in 16oz bottles so I bought one, still haven't
opened it, safety seal is still intact. I have enough vanilla extract
that it will likely outlive me.