Old 17-03-2013, 03:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Who Was It That Recently Asked About A Hot Water Heater -- I'mIn Hot Water!

On 3/16/2013 10:02 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
On 16/03/2013 10:00 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
On 3/16/2013 9:47 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
wrote:
On 3/16/2013 12:36 AM, Ophelia wrote:

Ours are long slim things which fit by the walls. There are some very
fancy rads for sale these days

http://www.featureradiators.co.uk/?g...FYfJtAodAXUASw

Those are very cool.

Why would anyone want radiators that are cool?

Perhaps they could double as air conditioners...

Not a good idea.... too much condensation.

Drip trays underneath. Channel them to water houseplants.

Old 17-03-2013, 03:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 15:54:47 -1000, dsi1
wrote:

On 3/16/2013 3:47 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 14:46:04 -1000, dsi1
wrote:

On 3/16/2013 12:36 AM, Ophelia wrote:

Ours are long slim things which fit by the walls. There are some very
fancy rads for sale these days

http://www.featureradiators.co.uk/?g...FYfJtAodAXUASw

Those are very cool.

Why would anyone want radiators that are cool?

Why the heck would anybody want a radiator that was painted a pastel
color? Could it be because it's cool? Oh yeah.

Cast iron radiators are almost always painted with aluminized paint.
Today I'm sure that paint is available in several HOT colors! The
paint used on auto engines is chemically engineered to radiate engine
heat to help cool the engine, and engine paint is available in many
colors. Nowadays more than ever folks are installing metal roofs on
their homes, they are coated in many colors, the coating is designed
to radiate heat to help keep attics cooler.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraypaintd...ine-paint.aspx
http://www.oldhousejournal.com/magaz...radiator.shtml
Old 17-03-2013, 03:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 3/16/2013 12:36 AM, Ophelia wrote:

Ours are long slim things which fit by the walls. There are some very
fancy rads for sale these days

http://www.featureradiators.co.uk/?g...FYfJtAodAXUASw

Those are very cool.

Why would anyone want radiators that are cool?

Perhaps they could double as air conditioners...

I worked in an old building that had what looked like radiators. They were
fed by hot or cold water. A separate air system would push air into the
unit, and expel it into the room. condensation had another exit feed.

Another version of a swamp cooler.
Old 17-03-2013, 04:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 02:06:10 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

sf wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 06:11:23 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:24:31 -0700, sf wrote:

Right.
Furnaces heat air, boilers heat water. The terms are often used
incorrectly.

YES! I know old public buildings and some super old apartment
buildings (and those converted to condos) still operate with a boiler
system - but come on... single family HOUSES? The only "modern"
heating water source I know about is fed by the water heater, not a
boiler (mid-century modern Eichler houses and modern bathrooms with a
floor heating system in the floor).

As I said, if it heats water, the term used for the device is a
boiler. They range from smallish units for the house to large
industrial sized 100 HP units in industrial or commercial settings. If
you go to a 3000 room hotel in Las Vegas, chances are the domestic hot
water for you shower is heated by a big Cleaver Brooks boiler.

Define the parameters if it's not
a single family house, which is what I think most of the people here
were talking about in generalized terms. I don't know enough about a
whole building boiler systems to know if hot water from a faucet comes
from the same place that provides heat to the buildings or not. What
I do know is that boiler systems are not commonly used in single
family housing here... like Aga stoves, they are out of the ordinary.

If they are heating water, it is a boiler. Sorry, but that is the
proper term. Single family to big apartment complex, boilers heat the
water. In smaller units like the house, they do both the heating and
the domestic water.
http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/weil-mclain/pc-boilers/

Like I said in another thread.... turn over enough rocks and you can
prove any point.

You will see units that do both.
http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/weil-m...ue-gas-boiler/
?Gas fired water boiler with cast aluminum heat exchanger
?Venturi mixing body mixes air and gas providing higher efficiency
?Designed to operate in low temperature condensing applications
?Outdoor reset and domestic hot water priority standard

I don't know what is common in your town, but they are very common in
the cooler climates. Millions of residential boilers exist. Probably
80% of the homes in New England have boilers. A few still have steam.

We had a hot water heater, not a boiler, when I lived in Michigan.
Water heaters have boilers in them, but no one and I mean NO ONE calls
the entire unit a boiler. Like I said before, commercial and public
buildings have large units called boilers but it is not a term used in
single family residential.

Hot water heat systems use the term boiler, because it's a simple one word
description. What else would you call it using one word.

Boiler is the correct nomenclature used in the home heating trade...
same as hot water heater is used rather than the full terminoligy;
domestic hot water heater... most building trade workers couldn't
spell domestic (they can't use three syllable words). There are
several catagories of boilers; cast iron, sheet metal, wet base,
etc... "boiler" is the correct building trades jargon... same as most
folks use that four letter word in lieu of sexual intercourse... I'll
bet there's not a person here who has ever said to their mate let's
have sexual intercourse/coitus... sf says "C'mon, penetrate me!",
hubby replies "Which orifice?" Probably the one to shut her up! LOL