Old 16-03-2013, 03:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Who Was It That Recently Asked About A Hot Water Heater -- I'm In Hot Water!

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 22:36:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Which kind of heaters to you mean?

--

If it's movies of the '30s, '40s, he's probably talking about
radiators.

Hmm we call that a radiator. We see them like that in old buildings.

--

I rather like the old cast iron radiators. About the 1950's they were
starting to be phased out in favor of the newer baseboard heating

The big hunks of cast iron had great thermal mass. They could keep
the temperature even for a long time, but they were slow to respond
when you did want to make a change.

Old 16-03-2013, 10:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Ours are long slim things which fit by the walls. There are some very
fancy rads for sale these days

http://www.featureradiators.co.uk/?g...FYfJtAodAXUASw

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-03-2013, 10:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message
On 3/15/2013 12:36 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"sf" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 21:05:04 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"dsi1" wrote in message

I live in the tropics and the homes here don't have any provisions
for
heating so I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. I would like to see
one
of
those old fashioned heater. That would be cool. I've only seen them
in
movies with Humphrey Bogart or the 3 Stooges. :-)

Which kind of heaters to you mean?

--
If it's movies of the '30s, '40s, he's probably talking about
radiators.
http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/d...8460983_XS.jpg

Hmm we call that a radiator. We see them like that in old buildings.

I think they are actually called "radiators" in this country too. OTOH,
over here, all the radiators are in cars, not houses. Just as God
intended... :-)

lol yes, we have them in our cars too ...
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-03-2013, 12:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2013 6:36 AM, Ophelia wrote:

Ours are long slim things which fit by the walls. There are some very
fancy rads for sale these days

http://www.featureradiators.co.uk/?g...FYfJtAodAXUASw

Oooh.
I've bookmarked that. I know we'll be needing to add/replace a few
radiators, and some of those are interesting.
Old 17-03-2013, 12:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2013 12:36 AM, Ophelia wrote:

Ours are long slim things which fit by the walls. There are some very
fancy rads for sale these days

http://www.featureradiators.co.uk/?g...FYfJtAodAXUASw

Those are very cool and beautiful!

Old 17-03-2013, 01:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 14:46:04 -1000, dsi1
wrote:

On 3/16/2013 12:36 AM, Ophelia wrote:

Ours are long slim things which fit by the walls. There are some very
fancy rads for sale these days

http://www.featureradiators.co.uk/?g...FYfJtAodAXUASw

Those are very cool.

Why would anyone want radiators that are cool?
Old 17-03-2013, 01:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 3/16/2013 12:36 AM, Ophelia wrote:

Ours are long slim things which fit by the walls. There are some very
fancy rads for sale these days

http://www.featureradiators.co.uk/?g...FYfJtAodAXUASw

Those are very cool.

Why would anyone want radiators that are cool?

Why the heck would anybody want a radiator that was painted a pastel
color? Could it be because it's cool? Oh yeah.
Old 17-03-2013, 02:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 3/16/2013 12:36 AM, Ophelia wrote:

Ours are long slim things which fit by the walls. There are some very
fancy rads for sale these days

http://www.featureradiators.co.uk/?g...FYfJtAodAXUASw

Those are very cool.

Why would anyone want radiators that are cool?

Perhaps they could double as air conditioners...
Old 17-03-2013, 02:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 3/16/2013 12:36 AM, Ophelia wrote:

Ours are long slim things which fit by the walls. There are some very
fancy rads for sale these days

http://www.featureradiators.co.uk/?g...FYfJtAodAXUASw

Those are very cool.

Why would anyone want radiators that are cool?

Perhaps they could double as air conditioners...

Not a good idea.... too much condensation.

Old 17-03-2013, 02:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 06:11:23 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:24:31 -0700, sf wrote:

Right.
Furnaces heat air, boilers heat water. The terms are often used
incorrectly.

YES! I know old public buildings and some super old apartment
buildings (and those converted to condos) still operate with a boiler
system - but come on... single family HOUSES? The only "modern"
heating water source I know about is fed by the water heater, not a
boiler (mid-century modern Eichler houses and modern bathrooms with a
floor heating system in the floor).

As I said, if it heats water, the term used for the device is a
boiler. They range from smallish units for the house to large
industrial sized 100 HP units in industrial or commercial settings. If
you go to a 3000 room hotel in Las Vegas, chances are the domestic hot
water for you shower is heated by a big Cleaver Brooks boiler.

Define the parameters if it's not
a single family house, which is what I think most of the people here
were talking about in generalized terms. I don't know enough about a
whole building boiler systems to know if hot water from a faucet comes
from the same place that provides heat to the buildings or not. What
I do know is that boiler systems are not commonly used in single
family housing here... like Aga stoves, they are out of the ordinary.

If they are heating water, it is a boiler. Sorry, but that is the
proper term. Single family to big apartment complex, boilers heat the
water. In smaller units like the house, they do both the heating and
the domestic water.
http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/weil-mclain/pc-boilers/

Like I said in another thread.... turn over enough rocks and you can
prove any point.

You will see units that do both.
http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/weil-m...ue-gas-boiler/
•Gas fired water boiler with cast aluminum heat exchanger
•Venturi mixing body mixes air and gas providing higher efficiency
•Designed to operate in low temperature condensing applications
•Outdoor reset and domestic hot water priority standard

I don't know what is common in your town, but they are very common in
the cooler climates. Millions of residential boilers exist. Probably
80% of the homes in New England have boilers. A few still have steam.

We had a hot water heater, not a boiler, when I lived in Michigan.
Water heaters have boilers in them, but no one and I mean NO ONE calls
the entire unit a boiler. Like I said before, commercial and public
buildings have large units called boilers but it is not a term used in
single family residential.

Hot water heat systems use the term boiler, because it's a simple one word
description. What else would you call it using one word.

I know of huge sections of the city, with one main steam plant feeding many
high rise buildings, blocks wide.

I also think hot water, even worse steam, can be less efficient, unless
flew to air recovery is used.

Greg

Old 17-03-2013, 02:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
On 3/14/2013 11:46 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"dsi1" wrote in message
On 3/14/2013 12:35 PM, Ophelia wrote:

Our unit looks exactly the same as the one Sheldon posted, and of course
does both central heating and hot water

My step-mother said that the houses in her town (Gothenburg?) was
heated by water coming in from a hot water factory and distributed by
underground pipes. That was the nuttiest thing that I ever heard.
Those Swedes!

I saw that in Lincoln (UK)! About 30 years ago, a woman I knew moved
into a house on a new estate and all the houses were served by a central
boiler Never heard of it since though and I haven't been there for
many years, so I don't know if it is still in operation.

I live in the tropics and the homes here don't have any provisions for
heating so I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. I would like to see one of
those old fashioned heater. That would be cool. I've only seen them in
movies with Humphrey Bogart or the 3 Stooges. :-)

Many houses, apartments, in the warmer regions have simple gas wall
heaters. Some have just one for the whole single story complex.

Greg
Old 17-03-2013, 02:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"dsi1" wrote in message

I live in the tropics and the homes here don't have any provisions for
heating so I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. I would like to see one of
those old fashioned heater. That would be cool. I've only seen them in
movies with Humphrey Bogart or the 3 Stooges. :-)

Which kind of heaters to you mean?

--

If it's movies of the '30s, '40s, he's probably talking about
radiators.
http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/d...8460983_XS.jpg

That would be the one. According to the movies, you're supposed to hit
them with a big wrench in order to get them to work.

Steam heat versions, make a lot of sounds. Sometimes they hiss, bang, or
clank.

Greg
Old 17-03-2013, 02:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 3/16/2013 12:36 AM, Ophelia wrote:

Ours are long slim things which fit by the walls. There are some very
fancy rads for sale these days

http://www.featureradiators.co.uk/?g...FYfJtAodAXUASw

Those are very cool.

Why would anyone want radiators that are cool?

Perhaps they could double as air conditioners...

I worked in an old building that had what looked like radiators. They were
fed by hot or cold water. A separate air system would push air into the
unit, and expel it into the room. condensation had another exit feed.

Greg
Old 17-03-2013, 02:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 3/16/2013 12:36 AM, Ophelia wrote:

Ours are long slim things which fit by the walls. There are some very
fancy rads for sale these days

http://www.featureradiators.co.uk/?g...FYfJtAodAXUASw

Those are very cool.

Why would anyone want radiators that are cool?

Perhaps they could double as air conditioners...

I worked in an old building that had what looked like radiators. They were
fed by hot or cold water. A separate air system would push air into the
unit, and expel it into the room. condensation had another exit feed.

Wow, interesting! I would like to know how much it would cost to
replace an old forced air system with something like that, in say, a
1500 ft house?

Old 17-03-2013, 03:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 02:06:10 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Hot water heat systems use the term boiler, because it's a simple one word
description. What else would you call it using one word.

By that, you're talking about something that supplies both heat and
hot water. This thread started off talking a single unit that
supplies only hot water, no mention of radiant heat. What are you
going to do next? Find something on the moon just to prove you're
right and I'm oh so wrong?

I know of huge sections of the city, with one main steam plant feeding many
high rise buildings, blocks wide.

I also think hot water, even worse steam, can be less efficient, unless
flew to air recovery is used.

Did you mean flue to air?