Old 15-03-2013, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Who Was It That Recently Asked About A Hot Water Heater -- I'm In Hot Water!

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 3/15/2013 10:12 AM, Ophelia wrote:
"S Viemeister" wrote
On 3/15/2013 5:46 AM, Ophelia wrote:
"dsi1" wrote
On 3/14/2013 12:35 PM, Ophelia wrote:
Our unit looks exactly the same as the one Sheldon posted, and of
course does both central heating and hot water
My step-mother said that the houses in her town (Gothenburg?) was
heated by water coming in from a hot water factory and distributed by
underground pipes. That was the nuttiest thing that I ever heard.
I saw that in Lincoln (UK)! About 30 years ago, a woman I knew moved
into a house on a new estate and all the houses were served by a
central
boiler Never heard of it since though and I haven't been there for
many years, so I don't know if it is still in operation.

A place I stayed in central Reykyavik had radiators heated by volcanic
hot water...

Cool ... er... or maybe ... not cool iyswim )

Warm and cosy in the middle of January!

)))

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 15-03-2013, 10:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/14/2013 11:46 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"dsi1" wrote in message
On 3/14/2013 12:35 PM, Ophelia wrote:

Our unit looks exactly the same as the one Sheldon posted, and of course
does both central heating and hot water

My step-mother said that the houses in her town (Gothenburg?) was
heated by water coming in from a hot water factory and distributed by
underground pipes. That was the nuttiest thing that I ever heard.
Those Swedes!

I saw that in Lincoln (UK)! About 30 years ago, a woman I knew moved
into a house on a new estate and all the houses were served by a central
boiler Never heard of it since though and I haven't been there for
many years, so I don't know if it is still in operation.

I live in the tropics and the homes here don't have any provisions for
heating so I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. I would like to see one
of those old fashioned heater. That would be cool. I've only seen them
in movies with Humphrey Bogart or the 3 Stooges. :-)
Old 15-03-2013, 10:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message
[...]

Which kind of heaters to you mean?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 15-03-2013, 10:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2013 4:27 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"dsi1" wrote in message
On 3/14/2013 12:35 PM, Ophelia wrote:

Our unit looks exactly the same as the one Sheldon posted, and of course
does both central heating and hot water

My step-mother said that the houses in her town (Gothenburg?) was heated
by water coming in from a hot water factory and distributed by underground
pipes. That was the nuttiest thing that I ever heard. Those Swedes!

It is common in big cities like New York and Philadelphia to have steam heat
supplied by a central location. This is usually done for the large
commercial buildings down town. not for residential units. Steam can be
piped fairly long distance with high pressure and a high concentration of
energy per cubic foot compared to water. Many high rise building use
steam for that reason.

That's interesting stuff. We're not interested in heating our houses in
the tropics. Cooling is another matter though. For heating water, our
condos use a heat pump which is essentially an air-conditioning system
run in reverse. Instead of purging the hot air into the environment, we
use it to heat water. Oddly enough, the cold air is just shot out of
exhaust ducts. Too bad. I could use some of that cold air.

The highest temperature you can move water is 212 degrees. Steam, however
can be moved at temperatures exceeding 500 degrees. Then piped through
pressure regulators at the point of use to a lower temperature.

This makes a lot of sense. The only thing I know about this is that
boilers are famous for exploding in schools and churches - or does that
happen only in movies?

Old 15-03-2013, 11:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

--

If it's movies of the '30s, '40s, he's probably talking about
radiators.

Old 15-03-2013, 11:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"dsi1" wrote in message

I live in the tropics and the homes here don't have any provisions for
heating so I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. I would like to see one
of
those old fashioned heater. That would be cool. I've only seen them in
movies with Humphrey Bogart or the 3 Stooges. :-)

Which kind of heaters to you mean?

--

If it's movies of the '30s, '40s, he's probably talking about
radiators.
http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/d...8460983_XS.jpg

Hmm we call that a radiator. We see them like that in old buildings.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 15-03-2013, 11:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"dsi1" wrote in message

I live in the tropics and the homes here don't have any provisions for
heating so I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. I would like to see one of
those old fashioned heater. That would be cool. I've only seen them in
movies with Humphrey Bogart or the 3 Stooges. :-)

Which kind of heaters to you mean?

--

If it's movies of the '30s, '40s, he's probably talking about
radiators.
http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/d...8460983_XS.jpg

That would be the one. According to the movies, you're supposed to hit
them with a big wrench in order to get them to work.
Old 15-03-2013, 11:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2013 6:36 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"sf" wrote in message

If it's movies of the '30s, '40s, he's probably talking about
radiators.
http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/d...8460983_XS.jpg

Hmm we call that a radiator. We see them like that in old buildings.

Our NJ house has rads like that - a couple of them have fancy designs on
them. Massively heavy things, they are.
Old 15-03-2013, 11:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2013 6:45 PM, dsi1 wrote:

That would be the one. According to the movies, you're supposed to hit
them with a big wrench in order to get them to work.

My parents used them as intercoms - they were both pretty good with
Morse code.
Old 16-03-2013, 12:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"dsi1" wrote in message

I live in the tropics and the homes here don't have any provisions for
heating so I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. I would like to see one of
those old fashioned heater. That would be cool. I've only seen them in
movies with Humphrey Bogart or the 3 Stooges. :-)

Which kind of heaters to you mean?

--

If it's movies of the '30s, '40s, he's probably talking about
radiators.
http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/d...8460983_XS.jpg

That would be the one. According to the movies, you're supposed to hit
them with a big wrench in order to get them to work.

I guess something is clogged, so they have to hit it. The old models
have been modernized now with a way to control how much heat it gives
off. Before they figured that out, people had to open up windows in
the dead of winter when it got too hot inside because there was no
other way to regulate it.

Old 16-03-2013, 12:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message

If it's movies of the '30s, '40s, he's probably talking about
radiators.
http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/d...8460983_XS.jpg

Hmm we call that a radiator. We see them like that in old buildings.

Our NJ house has rads like that - a couple of them have fancy designs on
them. Massively heavy things, they are.

Cool We had those in our school

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-03-2013, 12:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"dsi1" wrote in message

I live in the tropics and the homes here don't have any provisions for
heating so I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. I would like to see one
of
those old fashioned heater. That would be cool. I've only seen them in
movies with Humphrey Bogart or the 3 Stooges. :-)

Which kind of heaters to you mean?

--

If it's movies of the '30s, '40s, he's probably talking about
radiators.
http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/d...8460983_XS.jpg

Hmm we call that a radiator. We see them like that in old buildings.

I think they are actually called "radiators" in this country too. OTOH,
over here, all the radiators are in cars, not houses. Just as God
intended... :-)

Old 16-03-2013, 12:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2013 12:59 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
On 3/15/2013 6:45 PM, dsi1 wrote:

That would be the one. According to the movies, you're supposed to hit
them with a big wrench in order to get them to work.

My parents used them as intercoms - they were both pretty good with
Morse code.

Unfortunately, we had neither intercoms or radiators. We had no
shortages of big wrenches though since my dad was a plumber.
Old 16-03-2013, 12:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"dsi1" wrote in message

[...]

When I was on the mainland, the heaters we had went alongside the
baseboards. They seemed to work OK but were probably not very efficient.
Sort of like having a row of toasters next to your walls.
Old 16-03-2013, 01:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 13:26:59 -1000, dsi1
wrote:

When I was on the mainland, the heaters we had went alongside the
baseboards. They seemed to work OK but were probably not very efficient.
Sort of like having a row of toasters next to your walls.

They're fine for individually heating a room, but I prefer forced air
to heat the entire house.