Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Poached/canned pears?

What is the difference? I once made a recipe for poached pears from Julia
Child and they didn't seem any difference than canned ones. I have also
watched Jacques Pepin make them and they look like canned too. I realize
with poached, you can cut or not cut the pear as you want it and you can
vary the seasonings/flavorings and the amount of sugar that you put in. But
other than that, the end result seems the same. Am I missing something?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

What is the difference? I once made a recipe for poached pears from Julia
Child and they didn't seem any difference than canned ones. I have also
watched Jacques Pepin make them and they look like canned too. I realize
with poached, you can cut or not cut the pear as you want it and you can
vary the seasonings/flavorings and the amount of sugar that you put in. But
other than that, the end result seems the same. Am I missing something?

Poached in wine! Now that is nothing like canned.

Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 17:20:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>What is the difference? I once made a recipe for poached pears from Julia
>Child and they didn't seem any difference than canned ones. I have also
>watched Jacques Pepin make them and they look like canned too. I realize
>with poached, you can cut or not cut the pear as you want it and you can
>vary the seasonings/flavorings and the amount of sugar that you put in. But
>other than that, the end result seems the same. Am I missing something?

Poached in water, pretty much the same, but you control the sugar.

Poached in Port wine though, makes them so much better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-11, Alan > wrote:

> other than that, the end result seems the same. Am I missing something?

Perhaps clove, cardamom, and/or wine?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 23:11:20 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 17:20:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> >What is the difference? I once made a recipe for poached pears from Julia
> >Child and they didn't seem any difference than canned ones. I have also
> >watched Jacques Pepin make them and they look like canned too. I realize
> >with poached, you can cut or not cut the pear as you want it and you can
> >vary the seasonings/flavorings and the amount of sugar that you put in. But
> >other than that, the end result seems the same. Am I missing something?
> >

> Poached in water, pretty much the same, but you control the sugar.
>
> Poached in Port wine though, makes them so much better.

Isn't the texture the same? Only the color is different.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:

>What is the difference? I once made a recipe for poached pears from Julia
>Child and they didn't seem any difference than canned ones. \

You probably poached yours too long, then they lose their texture same
as canned.

>I have also
>watched Jacques Pepin make them and they look like canned too. I realize
>with poached, you can cut or not cut the pear as you want it and you can
>vary the seasonings/flavorings and the amount of sugar that you put in. But
>other than that, the end result seems the same. Am I missing something?

A bed of vanilla ice cream and drizzled with chocolate syrup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>
>>What is the difference? I once made a recipe for poached pears from Julia
>>Child and they didn't seem any difference than canned ones. \

> You probably poached yours too long, then they lose their texture same
> as canned.

The ones that Jacques made on TV looked just like canned.

>>I have also
>>watched Jacques Pepin make them and they look like canned too. I realize
>>with poached, you can cut or not cut the pear as you want it and you can
>>vary the seasonings/flavorings and the amount of sugar that you put in.
>>But
>>other than that, the end result seems the same. Am I missing something?

> A bed of vanilla ice cream and drizzled with chocolate syrup.

I used to put chocolate syrup on my canned pears. But it gagged my family.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> What is the difference? I once made a recipe for poached pears from Julia
> Child and they didn't seem any difference than canned ones. I have also
> watched Jacques Pepin make them and they look like canned too. I realize
> with poached, you can cut or not cut the pear as you want it and you can
> vary the seasonings/flavorings and the amount of sugar that you put in. But
> other than that, the end result seems the same. Am I missing something?

Yes. Wine. (And, in my case, cloves.) Yum! Hmmm.

--
Jean B.
Practicing Luddite and increasingly radical environmentalist.

Pears Poached In White Wine Chef Tamara Recipes (moderated) 0 18-03-2007 03:39 AM
Wine Poached Pears Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-12-2005 03:13 PM
Wine Poached Pears Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-12-2005 01:36 PM
Poached Pears with Lime Sabayon Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-03-2005 09:16 PM
LEMON-ANISE POACHED PEARS Duckie ® Recipes 0 05-01-2004 05:46 PM