Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Superfish You Should Be Eating

This article is from the February/March 2013 AARP magazine. I've
copied the article here for you. There was an excellent chart with
the article that I can't produce here. I have provided the link to
the article if you are interested in follow-up info.
http://tinyurl.com/byt5g63

Superfish You Should Be Eating

Salmon isn't’the only healthy fish in the sea. These others help your
heart and brain, too

These fish are “super” because they’re packed with disease-fighting
nutrients. Add them to your diet and reap their health benefits.

Rainbow Trout

With 20 grams of protein per 3-ounce serving, trout boasts almost
1,000 milligrams of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. A new study
reveals that these good fats may protect against cognitive decline,
according to Columbia University researchers.

Pollock

Popular as fish sticks, pollock is just as tasty (and healthier) in
fillet form. One serving supplies 73 percent of your daily need for
selenium, a mineral that may lower your risk of developing type 2
diabetes by up to 24 percent, Harvard School of Public Health
researchers showed.

Catfish

This Southern staple offers 100 percent of the daily requirement for
energy-supplying vitamin B12 (more than most cuts of beef provide),
which is good news for the up to 30 percent of adults 50 or older who
are at risk of B12 deficiency. Adequate vitamin B12 intake may also
protect against cognitive decline by slowing the rate of brain
shrinkage, a 2011 study in the journal Neurology found.

Sardines

Both the meat and the minuscule bones of canned sardines are edible,
so one 3-ounce serving supplies more calcium than a cup of low-fat
milk and nearly 30 percent of the recommended daily allowance for
vitamin D. The two nutrients work together to decrease your risk of
premature mortality by 7 percent, according to a new study in the
Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

Mackerel

This oily fish is one of the best dietary sources of vitamin D.
“Vitamin D deficiency is common, particularly for those living in
northern latitudes,” says Rachel Begun, spokeswoman for the Academy of
Nutrition and Dietetics. Vitamin D also plays an important role in
bone health, mood and immunity.

Barramundi

A mild-tasting white fish, barramundi offers twice the recommended
daily intake of omega-3s (nearly 500 milligrams) per serving

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/9/2013 8:01 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> This article is from the February/March 2013 AARP magazine. I've
> copied the article here for you. There was an excellent chart with
> the article that I can't produce here. I have provided the link to
> the article if you are interested in follow-up info.
> http://tinyurl.com/byt5g63
>

> Superfish You Should Be Eating
>
> Salmon isn't’the only healthy fish in the sea. These others help your
> heart and brain, too
>
> These fish are “super” because they’re packed with disease-fighting
> nutrients. Add them to your diet and reap their health benefits.
>
> Rainbow Trout
>
> With 20 grams of protein per 3-ounce serving, trout boasts almost
> 1,000 milligrams of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. A new study
> reveals that these good fats may protect against cognitive decline,
> according to Columbia University researchers.

I can't seem to find Trout (Rainbow or otherwise) in stores.

> Pollock
>
> Popular as fish sticks, pollock is just as tasty (and healthier) in
> fillet form. One serving supplies 73 percent of your daily need for
> selenium, a mineral that may lower your risk of developing type 2
> diabetes by up to 24 percent, Harvard School of Public Health
> researchers showed.

I've been told Pollock is "poor people's fish". Hogwash! It's delicious.

> Catfish
>
> This Southern staple offers 100 percent of the daily requirement for
> energy-supplying vitamin B12 (more than most cuts of beef provide),
> which is good news for the up to 30 percent of adults 50 or older who
> are at risk of B12 deficiency. Adequate vitamin B12 intake may also
> protect against cognitive decline by slowing the rate of brain
> shrinkage, a 2011 study in the journal Neurology found.

I love catfish! I buy it often when it goes on sale. It's very
versatile.

> Sardines
>
> Both the meat and the minuscule bones of canned sardines are edible,
> so one 3-ounce serving supplies more calcium than a cup of low-fat
> milk and nearly 30 percent of the recommended daily allowance for
> vitamin D. The two nutrients work together to decrease your risk of
> premature mortality by 7 percent, according to a new study in the
> Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

Never could get into sardines.

> Mackerel
>
> This oily fish is one of the best dietary sources of vitamin D.
> “Vitamin D deficiency is common, particularly for those living in
> northern latitudes,” says Rachel Begun, spokeswoman for the Academy of
> Nutrition and Dietetics. Vitamin D also plays an important role in
> bone health, mood and immunity.

I've not bought this fish. The only way I've ever seen it was canned.
And while I buy canned salmon for salmon patties I wouldn't really know
what to do with canned mackerel.

> Barramundi
>
> A mild-tasting white fish, barramundi offers twice the recommended
> daily intake of omega-3s (nearly 500 milligrams) per serving
>
> Janet US

Another fish I haven't seen available where I live. I do love fish,
though, so thanks for the post!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I've been told Pollock is "poor people's fish". Hogwash! It's delicious.

Around here, Bluefish is also considered trash fish. Not me. I love them
filleted and put under the broiler with mayo, minced onions, and a squeeze
of lemon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> This article is from the February/March 2013 AARP magazine. I've
> copied the article here for you. There was an excellent chart with
> the article that I can't produce here. I have provided the link to
> the article if you are interested in follow-up info.
> http://tinyurl.com/byt5g63
>

> Superfish You Should Be Eating
>
> Salmon isn't'the only healthy fish in the sea. These others help your
> heart and brain, too
>
> These fish are "super" because they're packed with disease-fighting
> nutrients. Add them to your diet and reap their health benefits.
>
> Rainbow Trout
>
> With 20 grams of protein per 3-ounce serving, trout boasts almost
> 1,000 milligrams of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. A new study
> reveals that these good fats may protect against cognitive decline,
> according to Columbia University researchers.
>
> Pollock
>
> Popular as fish sticks, pollock is just as tasty (and healthier) in
> fillet form. One serving supplies 73 percent of your daily need for
> selenium, a mineral that may lower your risk of developing type 2
> diabetes by up to 24 percent, Harvard School of Public Health
> researchers showed.
>
> Catfish
>
> This Southern staple offers 100 percent of the daily requirement for
> energy-supplying vitamin B12 (more than most cuts of beef provide),
> which is good news for the up to 30 percent of adults 50 or older who
> are at risk of B12 deficiency. Adequate vitamin B12 intake may also
> protect against cognitive decline by slowing the rate of brain
> shrinkage, a 2011 study in the journal Neurology found.
>
> Sardines
>
> Both the meat and the minuscule bones of canned sardines are edible,
> so one 3-ounce serving supplies more calcium than a cup of low-fat
> milk and nearly 30 percent of the recommended daily allowance for
> vitamin D. The two nutrients work together to decrease your risk of
> premature mortality by 7 percent, according to a new study in the
> Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.
>
> Mackerel
>
> This oily fish is one of the best dietary sources of vitamin D.
> "Vitamin D deficiency is common, particularly for those living in
> northern latitudes," says Rachel Begun, spokeswoman for the Academy of
> Nutrition and Dietetics. Vitamin D also plays an important role in
> bone health, mood and immunity.
>
> Barramundi
>
> A mild-tasting white fish, barramundi offers twice the recommended
> daily intake of omega-3s (nearly 500 milligrams) per serving
>
> Janet US

It you want some real superfish, take some big chunks of fish (cooked) and
arrange them in an unusual way on a platter, and cover them with an unusual,
reddish looking sauce. In China they make this dish sometines and they call
it 'dragon'.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-09, jmcquown > wrote:

> I can't seem to find Trout (Rainbow or otherwise) in stores.

Probably cuz you are so close to the ocean, it wouldn't sell well.
Besides, store bought trout is terrible. Even recently caught live
trout can be atrociously bad. I won't eat any trout caught below
5,000 ft elev.

> I love catfish! I buy it often when it goes on sale. It's very
> versatile.

The stuff is like gold, here. $6 lb is a rarely seen sale price.

> Never could get into sardines.

Bad mojo for gout sufferers. All small fish like sardines, anchovies,
smelt, etc, are extremely high in purines and at the top of the no-no
food list.

I don't eat much fish, as it's depleting our fishstocks and when the
oceans become dead, we become dead.

When I'm no longer commited to watching my mom 60/60/24/7, I plan to
start fishing and eating fish, again. I'm a lousy fisherman, but the
Arkansas R is at my doorstep and it's one of the most productive trout
habitats in the US. Even a boob like me can't help but catch a few.
I love a good pan fried trout caught at 8,000 ft.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 9, 2013 7:01:21 AM UTC-6, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> This article is from the February/March 2013 AARP magazine. I've
>
> copied the article here for you. There was an excellent chart with
>
> the article that I can't produce here. I have provided the link to
>
> the article if you are interested in follow-up info.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/byt5g63
>

> Superfish You Should Be Eating
>

> Salmon isn't�the only healthy fish in the sea. These others help your
>
> heart and brain, too
>

> These fish are �super� because they�re packed with disease-fighting
>
> nutrients. Add them to your diet and reap their health benefits.
>

> Rainbow Trout
>

> With 20 grams of protein per 3-ounce serving, trout boasts almost
>
> 1,000 milligrams of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. A new study
>
> reveals that these good fats may protect against cognitive decline,
>
> according to Columbia University researchers.
>

> Pollock
>

> Popular as fish sticks, pollock is just as tasty (and healthier) in
>
> fillet form. One serving supplies 73 percent of your daily need for
>
> selenium, a mineral that may lower your risk of developing type 2
>
> diabetes by up to 24 percent, Harvard School of Public Health
>
> researchers showed.

Pollock also goes by the name, Alaskan whitefish. It's about the cheapest
fish there is, other than whiting, which IMO is bordering on inedible.
Pollock is what fish sticks are usually made from. If you go to a cheap
AYCE buffet, the baked fish will nearly always be pollock. I don't buy
it because it falls apart when you fry it, and tilapia is almost as cheap,
and IMO, tastes better.

> Janet US

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/9/2013 8:01 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/9/2013 8:01 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>> Barramundi
>>
>> A mild-tasting white fish, barramundi offers twice the recommended
>> daily intake of omega-3s (nearly 500 milligrams) per serving
>>
>> Janet US
>>

> Another fish I haven't seen available where I live. I do love fish,
> though, so thanks for the post!
>
> Jill

The only place I have ever seen Barramundi is in Australia so I wouldn't
expect it to be widely available in the U.S.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/9/13 10:44 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-03-09, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> I can't seem to find Trout (Rainbow or otherwise) in stores.

> Probably cuz you are so close to the ocean, it wouldn't sell well.
> Besides, store bought trout is terrible. Even recently caught live
> trout can be atrociously bad. I won't eat any trout caught below
> 5,000 ft elev.

Not bob, you are truly an idiot.

Rainbow trout don't live above 5,000 feet -- anywhere.

{plonk}

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." wrote:

>It you want some real superfish, take some big chunks of fish (cooked) and
>arrange them in an unusual way on a platter, and cover them with an unusual,
>reddish looking sauce. In China they make this dish sometines and they call
>it 'dragon'.

I think a more apt name is Menses, they can use a tampon for garnish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 08:23:03 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Saturday, March 9, 2013 7:01:21 AM UTC-6, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> This article is from the February/March 2013 AARP magazine. I've
>>
>> copied the article here for you. There was an excellent chart with
>>
>> the article that I can't produce here. I have provided the link to
>>
>> the article if you are interested in follow-up info.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/byt5g63
>>

>> Superfish You Should Be Eating
>>

>> Salmon isn't�the only healthy fish in the sea. These others help your
>>
>> heart and brain, too
>>

>> These fish are �super� because they�re packed with disease-fighting
>>
>> nutrients. Add them to your diet and reap their health benefits.
>>

>> Rainbow Trout
>>

>> With 20 grams of protein per 3-ounce serving, trout boasts almost
>>
>> 1,000 milligrams of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. A new study
>>
>> reveals that these good fats may protect against cognitive decline,
>>
>> according to Columbia University researchers.
>>

>> Pollock
>>

>> Popular as fish sticks, pollock is just as tasty (and healthier) in
>>
>> fillet form. One serving supplies 73 percent of your daily need for
>>
>> selenium, a mineral that may lower your risk of developing type 2
>>
>> diabetes by up to 24 percent, Harvard School of Public Health
>>
>> researchers showed.
>>

>Pollock also goes by the name, Alaskan whitefish. It's about the cheapest
>fish there is, other than whiting, which IMO is bordering on inedible.
>Pollock is what fish sticks are usually made from. If you go to a cheap
>AYCE buffet, the baked fish will nearly always be pollock. I don't buy
>it because it falls apart when you fry it, and tilapia is almost as cheap,
>and IMO, tastes better.

How many pollocks does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 11:47*am, pltrgyst > wrote:
> On 3/9/13 10:44 AM, notbob wrote:
>
> > On 2013-03-09, jmcquown > wrote:

> >> I can't seem to find Trout (Rainbow or otherwise) in stores.

> > Probably cuz you are so close to the ocean, it wouldn't sell well.
> > Besides, store bought trout is terrible. *Even recently caught live
> > trout can be atrociously bad. *I won't eat any trout caught below
> > 5,000 ft elev.

> Not bob, you are truly an idiot.
>
> Rainbow trout don't live above 5,000 feet -- anywhere.
>
> {plonk}
>
> -- Larry

Really? We fish at 5200 feet and catch lots of rainbows.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 10:01:42 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 3/9/2013 8:01 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >
> > This article is from the February/March 2013 AARP magazine. I've
> > copied the article here for you. There was an excellent chart with
> > the article that I can't produce here. I have provided the link to
> > the article if you are interested in follow-up info.
> > http://tinyurl.com/byt5g63
> >

> > Superfish You Should Be Eating
> >
> > Salmon isn't’the only healthy fish in the sea. These others help your
> > heart and brain, too
> >
> > These fish are “super” because they’re packed with disease-fighting
> > nutrients. Add them to your diet and reap their health benefits.
> >
> > Rainbow Trout
> >
> > With 20 grams of protein per 3-ounce serving, trout boasts almost
> > 1,000 milligrams of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. A new study
> > reveals that these good fats may protect against cognitive decline,
> > according to Columbia University researchers.
> >

> I can't seem to find Trout (Rainbow or otherwise) in stores.

I used to see it a lot, now - it pops up occasionally but not very
often. Hubby used to love trout back in the days when it was a
regular grocery store and restaurant item, but I never developed a
liking for it - too bony for me.

> > Pollock
> >
> > Popular as fish sticks, pollock is just as tasty (and healthier) in
> > fillet form. One serving supplies 73 percent of your daily need for
> > selenium, a mineral that may lower your risk of developing type 2
> > diabetes by up to 24 percent, Harvard School of Public Health
> > researchers showed.
> >

> I've been told Pollock is "poor people's fish". Hogwash! It's delicious.
>
> > Catfish
> >
> > This Southern staple offers 100 percent of the daily requirement for
> > energy-supplying vitamin B12 (more than most cuts of beef provide),
> > which is good news for the up to 30 percent of adults 50 or older who
> > are at risk of B12 deficiency. Adequate vitamin B12 intake may also
> > protect against cognitive decline by slowing the rate of brain
> > shrinkage, a 2011 study in the journal Neurology found.
> >

> I love catfish! I buy it often when it goes on sale. It's very
> versatile.

Me too. They even sell it in pieces ready to be coated and deep
fried.

> > Sardines
> >
> > Both the meat and the minuscule bones of canned sardines are edible,
> > so one 3-ounce serving supplies more calcium than a cup of low-fat
> > milk and nearly 30 percent of the recommended daily allowance for
> > vitamin D. The two nutrients work together to decrease your risk of
> > premature mortality by 7 percent, according to a new study in the
> > Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.
> >

> Never could get into sardines.
>
> > Mackerel
> >
> > This oily fish is one of the best dietary sources of vitamin D.
> > “Vitamin D deficiency is common, particularly for those living in
> > northern latitudes,” says Rachel Begun, spokeswoman for the Academy of
> > Nutrition and Dietetics. Vitamin D also plays an important role in
> > bone health, mood and immunity.
> >

> I've not bought this fish. The only way I've ever seen it was canned.
> And while I buy canned salmon for salmon patties I wouldn't really know
> what to do with canned mackerel.

Try it as fish patties too, but you might want to wait
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/9818669/Why-mackerel-has-been-taken-off-the-ethical-fish-to-eat-list.html>

> > Barramundi
> >
> > A mild-tasting white fish, barramundi offers twice the recommended
> > daily intake of omega-3s (nearly 500 milligrams) per serving
> >
> > Janet US
> >

> Another fish I haven't seen available where I live. I do love fish,
> though, so thanks for the post!

Your taste is pretty much the same as mine. I know I can buy pollock
and Barramundi frozen, but I buy from the fish case - not the freezer
case.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 13:01:36 -0800, sf > wrote:
Just don't buy Gorton's breaded fish fillets... they're 90% greasy
breading and 10% fish paste... an awful product... cats won't eat it.
I have a four pound/30 piece bag from BJ's, cooked 10 pieces last
night, inedible, the crows will get the balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-09, pltrgyst > wrote:

> Rainbow trout don't live above 5,000 feet -- anywhere.

-------------

Mt Shavano Trout Rearing Unit
7725 County Road 154, Salida, CO

Mount Shavano State Fish Hatchery
The Mount Shavano State Fish Hatchery is located 2 miles north on
State Hwy 291, then 1 mile west on CR 154. The hatchery covers 25
acres and produces more than 4 million fish each year, including
brook, brown, cutthroat and rainbow trout.

Elevation 7,083 ft (2,159 m)

That stringer I saw of half dozen 18-20" rainbows caught on Rapala lures (at 8000 ft) musta
been carved outta wood. Whoda guessed it!?

--------------

It must be incredibly painful to be so ignorant, yet so self righteous,
all at the same time.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/03/2013 10:44 AM, notbob wrote:
..

> When I'm no longer commited to watching my mom 60/60/24/7, I plan to
> start fishing and eating fish, again. I'm a lousy fisherman, but the
> Arkansas R is at my doorstep and it's one of the most productive trout
> habitats in the US. Even a boob like me can't help but catch a few.
> I love a good pan fried trout caught at 8,000 ft.

My idea of a successful day of fishing is losing less than 5 lures.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I do a lot of ice fishing in minnesota and to me , cold water crappies
and sunfish are the best. Roy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 15:40:41 -0600, jay > wrote:

>In article >, pltrgyst >
>wrote:

>> > Probably cuz you are so close to the ocean, it wouldn't sell well.
>> > Besides, store bought trout is terrible. Even recently caught live
>> > trout can be atrociously bad. I won't eat any trout caught below
>> > 5,000 ft elev.

>> Not bob, you are truly an idiot.
>>
>> Rainbow trout don't live above 5,000 feet -- anywhere.
>>
>> {plonk}
>>
>> -- Larry

>Most of Colorado is above 5K feet.

This is true, the mean elevation of Colorado is nearly 7,000 ft above
sea level.
http://www.netstate.com/states/geogr..._geography.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9 Mar 2013 22:30:56 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2013-03-09, pltrgyst > wrote:
>
>> Rainbow trout don't live above 5,000 feet -- anywhere.

>-------------
>
>Mt Shavano Trout Rearing Unit
>7725 County Road 154, Salida, CO
>
>Mount Shavano State Fish Hatchery
>The Mount Shavano State Fish Hatchery is located 2 miles north on
>State Hwy 291, then 1 mile west on CR 154. The hatchery covers 25
>acres and produces more than 4 million fish each year, including
>brook, brown, cutthroat and rainbow trout.
>
>Elevation 7,083 ft (2,159 m)
>
>That stringer I saw of half dozen 18-20" rainbows caught on Rapala lures (at 8000 ft) musta
>been carved outta wood. Whoda guessed it!?

Everyone knows trout are carved outta Bonomo's Turkish Taffy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/03/2013 2:47 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 3/9/13 10:44 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2013-03-09, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> I can't seem to find Trout (Rainbow or otherwise) in stores.

>> Probably cuz you are so close to the ocean, it wouldn't sell well.
>> Besides, store bought trout is terrible. Even recently caught live
>> trout can be atrociously bad. I won't eat any trout caught below
>> 5,000 ft elev.

> Not bob, you are truly an idiot.
>
> Rainbow trout don't live above 5,000 feet -- anywhere.
>
> {plonk}

That leaves me wondering how an idiot can speak with such authority.
There are lots of trout in Rocky Mountain National Park and that is well
above 5000 feet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 17:32:27 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 09/03/2013 10:44 AM, notbob wrote:
>.
>>
>> When I'm no longer commited to watching my mom 60/60/24/7, I plan to
>> start fishing and eating fish, again. I'm a lousy fisherman, but the
>> Arkansas R is at my doorstep and it's one of the most productive trout
>> habitats in the US. Even a boob like me can't help but catch a few.
>> I love a good pan fried trout caught at 8,000 ft.
>>

>My idea of a successful day of fishing is losing less than 5 lures.

My idea of a successful day of fishingf is taking the limit of striped
bass off Montauk Point. I never cared much for fresh water fishing, I
much prefer north Atlantic deep sea fishing, but surf casting LI Sound
for flat fish is good too... the gulls tell me where the fluke are
running... door mats are fine eating.
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/fishing...Fluke_134.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/9/2013 10:44 AM, notbob wrote:

>> >I love catfish! I buy it often when it goes on sale. It's very
>> >versatile.

> The stuff is like gold, here. $6 lb is a rarely seen sale price.

You'd think catfish is gold in this part of SC, too! $6.99/lb *is* the
sale price. I was used to it being very inexpensive because of all the
catfish farms in TN/MS/AR. It wasn't until a couple or three years ago
I even saw it offered at the fish counter at Publix.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 09:46:08 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>> The stuff is like gold, here. $6 lb is a rarely seen sale price.
>>

>You'd think catfish is gold in this part of SC, too! $6.99/lb *is* the
>sale price. I was used to it being very inexpensive because of all the
>catfish farms in TN/MS/AR. It wasn't until a couple or three years ago
>I even saw it offered at the fish counter at Publix.
>
>Jill

I have the same problem with US farm-raised rainbow trout. The
majority of them are raised just an hour or two away and I can't find
them. Costco used to carry them all year long and now they carry them
just a few months in winter. I've taken to buying a couple every
week, wrapping and freezing them separately so that I can throw them
in the smoker in the summer. I "cook" them in the smoker because I
love the juicy texture and the smoky flavor but I don't "smoke" them
to make smoked fish. (there's a difference) US catfish I can
generally find although they are expensive -- $6.99/ pound -- 'course
what doesn't cost $7 a pound these days? I don't do deep-fried fish,
but I confess that I have a deep fryer just so that I can do big,
lovely slabs of catfish. You have to be careful eating it because it
is so juicy you can easily burn yourself. Alton Brown did a catfish
show the other day and I am going to have to find me a big slab of
catfish. http://tinyurl.com/6t6bhqb
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:00:52 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I have the same problem with US farm-raised rainbow trout. The
> majority of them are raised just an hour or two away and I can't find
> them.

What is it with trout? Where does it go these days?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:13:13 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:00:52 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> I have the same problem with US farm-raised rainbow trout. The
>> majority of them are raised just an hour or two away and I can't find
>> them.

>What is it with trout? Where does it go these days?

I think maybe I'll ask around.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 13:45:19 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:13:13 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:00:52 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I have the same problem with US farm-raised rainbow trout. The
> >> majority of them are raised just an hour or two away and I can't find
> >> them.

> >What is it with trout? Where does it go these days?

> I think maybe I'll ask around.
> Janet US

If you ever find out, I'm interested in what the answer is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:13:13 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:00:52 -0600, Janet Bostwick
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I have the same problem with US farm-raised rainbow trout. The
>>> majority of them are raised just an hour or two away and I can't find
>>> them.

>> What is it with trout? Where does it go these days?

> I think maybe I'll ask around.
> Janet US

Pennsylvania puts around 5 million in the water system each year.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 02:06:11 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
wrote:

> Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:13:13 -0700, sf > wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:00:52 -0600, Janet Bostwick

> >> What is it with trout? Where does it go these days?

> > I think maybe I'll ask around.
> > Janet US

> Pennsylvania puts around 5 million in the water system each year.

So you have little trout in your tap water?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 19:57:45 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 02:06:11 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
>wrote:
>
>> Janet Bostwick > wrote:

>> > I think maybe I'll ask around.
>> > Janet US

>> Pennsylvania puts around 5 million in the water system each year.
>>

>So you have little trout in your tap water?

Puts a whole new meaning to de-scaling your kettle or jug.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 19:57:45 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 02:06:11 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
>>wrote:

>>> Pennsylvania puts around 5 million in the water system each year.
>>>

>>So you have little trout in your tap water?

> Puts a whole new meaning to de-scaling your kettle or jug.

lol
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2013 12:00 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 09:46:08 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> The stuff is like gold, here. $6 lb is a rarely seen sale price.
>>>

>> You'd think catfish is gold in this part of SC, too! $6.99/lb *is* the
>> sale price. I was used to it being very inexpensive because of all the
>> catfish farms in TN/MS/AR. It wasn't until a couple or three years ago
>> I even saw it offered at the fish counter at Publix.
>>
>> Jill

> I have the same problem with US farm-raised rainbow trout. The
> majority of them are raised just an hour or two away and I can't find
> them. Costco used to carry them all year long and now they carry them
> just a few months in winter. I've taken to buying a couple every
> week, wrapping and freezing them separately

I buy catfish "in bulk" (heh) when it goes on sale. I have the guy
weigh out 1 lb. portions and wrap them separately.

so that I can throw them
> in the smoker in the summer. I "cook" them in the smoker because I
> love the juicy texture and the smoky flavor but I don't "smoke" them
> to make smoked fish. (there's a difference)

Hmmm, I wonder if catfish would be good that way? I love grilled
catfish but never thought about "smoking" it. And no, I don't have a
smoker. But I can do a reasonable fascimile using my Weber kettle. As
you say, the point isn't really to "smoke" the fish long term. What
sort of wood would I add to the lump?

> US catfish I can
> generally find although they are expensive -- $6.99/ pound -- 'course
> what doesn't cost $7 a pound these days? I don't do deep-fried fish,
> but I confess that I have a deep fryer just so that I can do big,
> lovely slabs of catfish. You have to be careful eating it because it
> is so juicy you can easily burn yourself.

That's too true! I've never deep-fried catfish at home but I've had it
at fish fries in years past, oh yummmmmm!

> Alton Brown did a catfish
> show the other day and I am going to have to find me a big slab of
> catfish. http://tinyurl.com/6t6bhqb
> Janet US

Thanks for the link!

Jill